The Christmas Gift by DiamondDoss
Summary: Chris and Jenna are the best of friends. What happens when a few Christmases seperate them?

For my Secret Santa PopDiva. I hope you enjoy your story!
Categories: Challenges Characters: Chris Kirkpatrick, Group
Awards: None
Genres: Romance
Challenges: *NSYNC-Fiction Secret Santa 2012
Challenges: *NSYNC-Fiction Secret Santa 2012
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 7018 Read: 1558 Published: Dec 21, 2012 Updated: Dec 21, 2012
Story Notes:
Thank you to jr88freak for the banner

Photobucket

1. Chapter 1 by DiamondDoss

2. Chapter 2 by DiamondDoss

3. Chapter 3 by DiamondDoss

Chapter 1 by DiamondDoss
“I brought you something,” Jenna told Chris as they walked to their lockers to put their books up to go to lunch. She ignored the people around them, giving him a smile.

“What is it? Is it illegal?” Chris asked, returning her smile with one of his as he opened his locker and tossed his books in, his coat shoved in there. He ignored the fact that his coat had a rip in it and that his sneakers were getting a little too tight. He watched as she pulled out her lunch bag and opened it.

“No, Kirkpatrick, it's not illegal,” Jenna replied, rolling her eyes at him. “Come on, we're going to eat outside today,” she announced, not waiting for him to catch up. The weather had been cold that week, keeping most of the other students inside. It would be a nice relief from the stuffy cafeteria or the gym where she and Chris stayed during lunch most of the time.

Chris watched her walking and grabbed his coat out his locker and ran to catch up. “You know it's forty degrees outside, right Jen?” he asked, raising his eyebrow at her. “Did you get that History homework done?”

“Yeah, I'll let you see it later. You had to work last night...” she let the comment go when he nodded as they sat down. She took out her lunch and handed Chris a plastic container with a lid on it and then a plastic fork. “You mentioned you loved red velvet cake...and I found a mix and made one with the icing. Besides, you haven't eaten all week at school.”

Chris blew out a breath and opened the container, his stomach protesting loudly. He hated being poor. Even more than that was the embarrassment of having to announce that he got free lunch every day at school. It wouldn't have been so bad if he just could go through the line at school and gotten a tray. Even worse was it was tenth, when everything mattered. He and Jenna were teased for not having the name brand clothes or new shoes. They'd been friends since second grade, when she'd moved to Ohio from New York and sat by him and shared crayons. “This is good,” he told her, taking big bites, shaking his head when she offered him part of her sandwich and chips. “You gotta eat too.”

“I'll be fine, Chris. Besides, I hate hearing your stomach growl in class.” Jenna gave him a look and stuck out her tongue when he harrumphed. “What are your Christmas plans?” she watched him shrug, knowing they were probably much like hers. Trying to work a little for some money to help out.

“I told Mr. Fischer I could work whenever he needed me. I told Mom I would try and help with Christmas for the girls...” he sat up a little straighter and looked down at the bag of chips. Chris and Jenna didn't ever think they should be pitied because their parents didn't make a lot of money, that they came from single parent households. It was just the way life was. “What do you want for Christmas?”

Jenna looked over at Chris and shrugged. She could have given him a lot of answers. Make up, a couple magazines she liked, some new shoes and a coat, a cute purse she'd seen in the department store she wanted. “I'd like to hear you sing again, like you did for my birthday,” she confessed, blushing.

“You liked that?” Chris asked her, shaking his head. “I was just goofing off,” he studied the brunette beside him and watched her shiver, slipping out of his coat and handing it to her. “Here, ya crazy. 'Let's go sit outside'” he mimicked her and watched her give him a dirty look. “Really, what do you want for Christmas? I want to know...”

Jenna shoved the bag of chips in his hands and wiped her hands and then turned to look at him. “What do you want, Christopher Alan? I never hear you say anything about what you want. For anything. I know for a fact your shoes came from Goodwill as well as your coat,” she fingered the rip in it and looked at him, watching him look away from her. “You bust your ass,” she smiled at his surprise at her curse word, “to make sure your mom and little sisters have what they need. The only time you smile is when you play basketball or when you're singing. I hate school...I hate how it really matters what we wear,” she frowned, watching Chris's breath come out in the cold. “I don't want anything for Christmas. If you get me anything, I'll punch you in your nose.”

“You won't punch me, Davis,” Chris scoffed, using her last name and watching her glare at him. “Fine. Then I don't want you to go buy me anything either. Or I won't sing for you.”

“Awww, look at the two lovebirds. Jenna, you and Chris should get married. Maybe the two of you can live in the homeless shelter downtown,” someone called out, causing them both to jump in surprise.

Chris jumped up and headed for the group of older boys when he felt Jenna pull on his arm. “Let me go,” he growled, yanking his arm away.

“They aren't worth it,” Jenna hissed, tears stinging her eyes. They should have been used to it by now, having been told by her mother that there were always people who were going to be mean to others.

“Hold your boyfriend back,” another boy said. “Maybe the Salvation Army can hand out a few free meals during Christmas break. Besides, don't your mom's both work the same street corner.”

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Ms. Davis, Principal Thomas is ready to see you,” the secretary said, giving her a small smile.

Jenna stood up and blotted her face with the tissue that had been balled up in her hand for the last twenty minutes. She was still wearing Chris's coat. After everything had happened, she'd forgotten to give it back to him. It hadn't really mattered since he was currently sitting in the nurse's station with an ice pack on his lip and a black eye. It hadn't been a totally unfair fight, however, with the mouthiest culprit ending up with a very sore jaw and a new respect for Chris's right hook.

She took a seat in the office after the principal shut the door. “Mr. Thomas, it wasn't Chris's fault...” she began, but stopped when he held up his hand.

“I have talked with Mr.Kirkpatrick. He understands that there has to be some punishment on his part. He could have walked away from a fight.”

“Would you let someone insult your mother?” Jenna asked the principal, watching his face redden. “Like him, my mom is the only one who takes care of me and my little brother,” she stood up and showed the man the coat she was wearing. “He works all the hours he can at a grocery store to help out his mom and sisters..unlike most of the student population here, he doesn't care if someone wears Air Jordans or sneakers from Goodwill. So whatever punishment you give him, I want it too.”

“Fine. You and Mr. Kirkpatrick have suspension for a day. You are not to come to school tomorrow.”

Jenna shrugged and nodded, getting up. “A free day, thanks Mr. Thomas.”

“This will go on your school record, Ms. Davis,” he reminded her, watching her leave.

Jenna didn't really care about her school record. She was more worried about Chris. And about what her mother would say when she found out she was suspended from school. She heard Chris say her name and went into the nurse's office. “You look like Hell.”

“Thanks,” Chris told her, giving her a smile, watching her take off his jacket and lay it next to him on the chair. “I won't be at school tomorrow,” he said, a little sad he wouldn't see her.

“I won't either. I guess that means we'll have to go walk around downtown or something. Go look at the Christmas lights,” Jenna told him, telling Chris what she'd told the principal.

“Why would you do that?” Chris asked after she'd explained. “I mean, I'll take my punishment, Jen.”

“I don't like being at school when you aren't here,” she confessed, pulling the ice pack away and wincing at his lip.

“Quit. It's just a busted lip,” Chris said, giving her a grin even though it hurt. “Go to class. I'll see you in History.”

Jenna nodded, picking up her book bag and giving him a small wave bye. She made her way to her class and sat down, ignoring the stares from her classmates and the ones who were whispering. She had other things to worry about, sighing and opening her notebook to start copying down what the teacher was saying.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Chris had his hand shoved down in his pockets as he and Jenna walked home from school. They lived in the same neighborhood and it was closer to walk than spend two hours on the bus running all over the city and then home. “So, what are we doing tomorrow?” a smirk came to his face as he thought about their 'day off'. Some of his guy friends that he played basketball with had given him a hard time when they found out Jenna had gotten in trouble too, but he didn't care.

“I don't know. We could go walk around downtown and window shop,” she suggested, getting a nod from him. “I need to go by Culver's Pharmacy and see if they will let me work some.” Jenna looked over at Chris and at his shoes. “What if you were rich and famous someday?” she asked, laughing as he looked at her as if she was crazy.

“If..If I was, I'd make sure my mom and sisters didn't have to worry about money or anything. And I'd help out my friends...and I'd try my best not to act any differently than I did before. Cause it doesn't matter how much money you have or don't have. You can act decent or like a jerk either way.”

Jenna nodded in agreement. “Girls could have pictures of you on their walls and sing along to you singing them songs, be in some group where you toured all over the world,” she teased him and laughed when he shook his head. “I would treat myself to some new clothes. And I'd try help you out with your fashion sense.”

“It was a Christmas sweater my grandma sent me in fifth grade, Jen!! Can you forget about that?” Chris practically yelled and stopped when they got her house, the gate to the chain link fence open as usual. He pulled her into a hug. “See ya. I gotta home and tell my mother about why I'm not going to classes tomorrow.” He rolled his eyes at Jen when she used his full name and watched her go into her house, waving at her little brother Brenden.

The walk to his house took about ten minutes, and he tossed his coat and books in his room before coming out and sitting down at the small table where they ate. His mom wasn't home, her note saying she had to work another shift until nine and that the older neighbor had his sisters and would bring them home around five. Chris sighed and got up and looked in the freezer and got out the pot pies to fix. Those were easy and he knew he could get away with eating what his sisters didn't want. He also thought about missing school tomorrow and sort of wished now he hadn't. He'd miss seeing his other friends and going to choir practice. Besides seeing Jenna, singing and sports were the highlights of his school career.

*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Chris, honey, I'm home,” his mother Beverly called out as she sat down her keys and the mail. The house was relatively quiet as she locked the door and then went to check on the girls who were both asleep. The light under Chris's door was on and she knocked softly, hearing him humming along to the radio. “Chris...” she opened the door and stopped when he looked at her, his eye almost swollen shut and his lip big. “Oh my God, baby, what happened?”

“It's nothing, Mom,” Chris told her, hating to be fussed over, knowing that it really didn't matter. “I got in a fight at school with some guys...” his voice trailed off as he winced as she touched his eye.

“A fight? About what?” she questioned him, sitting down on his bed. She hated that he felt like he had to be grown up and work. She'd told him to always keep part of the money he made for himself, but he never did. Now she listened as he told her about eating lunch with Jen and then what the guys had said to him. “I've always told you, Christopher, that kids are going to be mean. And you know what they said wasn't true.”

“I know that, Mom, but it still doesn't make it hurt any less. Jen even got suspended too, just so I wouldn't be the only one. We were thinking of going and window shopping around downtown...”

“Like a date?” Beverly smiled as Chris blushed and profusely shook his head no. “You can take her out on a date and be friends. Did you ask what she wanted for Christmas?”

“I asked but she told me she just wanted me to sing. What am I supposed to do with that?”

Beverly got up and hugged Chris. “Get her something anyway. Did she ask you what you wanted?” knowing Jenna would ask as he nodded. “And you told her?...”

“Same thing she told me. Nothing.” Chris watched as his Mom pulled out her money from her tips. He started shaking his head as she handed him a twenty dollar bill and then a five.

“Take it and have fun tomorrow. You've helped me enough for the week. And you better take part of your money and get her a gift. Jen would love whatever you gave her.”

“That's what I like about her, Mom. She doesn't think bad because we don't have a lot of money or that our family isn't the same as everyone else's...like hers. It's nice.” Chris laid there after his mom had gone and tried to sleep. He wasn't looking for a girlfriend, but as far as girls went, he thought Jenna was pretty cool. She was smart and funny, and kind to people. He'd found out a lot of people liked her just because she was nice to everyone, even the janitors and lunch ladies when she got a lunch. He figured that they'd seen each other mad, sad, and every other emotion they could go through. There were things she did that drove him crazy (like chewing on the end of her pencil) and vice versa. He rolled over and closed his eyes, hoping tomorrow would be fun.
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“Bubby, does your eye hurt?” Chris's sister Ashley asked him, studying it carefully. She was in fourth grade and Riley was in third.

“It's not bad, Ash. You better eat your oatmeal. You too, Ri,” he told them, drinking a glass of orange juice.

“Is Jenna your girlfriend, Chris?” Riley asked, both of the girls giggling.

“No,” Chris told her, smiling as they both started singing about him and Jenna sitting in a tree.

“Girls, quit harrassing your brother and eat. I have to drop you off at Mrs. Fiona's in a bit,” Beverly told them, giving Chris a hug. “Have fun today.”

“We will,” he promised. “I'll wash dishes when I get home,” he called out to his mom as he went to his bedroom to finish getting ready. He sighed, settling on a t-shirt with a Pittsburgh Steelers pullover instead of his coat. Chris rifled through his drawers, finding his toboggan and pulling it on, along with his gloves that didn't have fingers. He smiled, thinking of Jenna teasing him. He grabbed his wallet and checked his money again. It was easy enough to run down to the place where he bagged groceries at and pick up his check. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough to help out. “I'm off, Mom,” Chris called out, hugging his sisters and then her.

“Have a good time today,” Beverly told her son, shaking her head at him when he started humming a song before he even got out the front door.
Chapter 2 by DiamondDoss
“Where are we going?” Jenna asked once more as she and Chris walked downtown. Her mother hadn't been happy that she'd been suspended but she'd pleaded to spend the day with Chris since he'd stood up for her.

“You'll see. Don't be so impatient,” Chris told her as they walked along. He grabbed her jacket and pulled her into the coffee shop they'd always talked about going into that had a line out the door every time they walked past it. Now there was a shorter line with tables open. “Sit and I'll order for us,” he told her, giving her a smile as he pulled her chair out. He'd tried hard not to notice how good Jenna looked, even though she was wearing the same thing she always wore; jeans and a shirt, along with tennis shoes, her hair pulled back into a ponytail.

“How do you know what I want?” Jenna inquired as he waved her off to go stand in line. Her mother had given her money, telling her to go have fun and see if she could find Chris something to give him for Christmas. She knew what he liked and disliked, but she still wasn't sure on what to get him. Her mind wandered as she people watched, jumping when Chris sat down beside her and said something. “You scared me, ya jerk,” she playfully smacked his shoulder.

“I said something to you two minutes ago,” he smirked, setting the cup down in front of her, as well as a pastry for each of them. “Let's see if this place is as good as what it's cracked up to be.”

“There's enough people in here, it should be,” Jenna told him, taking a sip of her drink. It was peppermint hot chocolate. She always added a candy cane to hers at home, loving the flavor. “Thanks,” she said, eying the gooey confection. “That good?” she asked Chris as he pulled his own cinnamon roll apart, popping some of it in his mouth. She laughed at him being silly, taking a bite of her own.

The two of them people watched, guessing what the other customers were ordering. More than once they laughed loud enough that they would get a glare from someone sitting around them. After throwing away their trash, the two friends walked downtown. They looked in shop windows at clothes they couldn't afford and both talked about the future.

“I really think you should sing,” Jenna told Chris, frowning when he shoved his hands in his pockets. “You love it. You're good at it.”

“I can love it and be good at it and still not make it. There's lots of people that love to sing and are good, Jen. What would make me any different?”

“Because you are passionate about it. And you want it for more than just yourself. You want your Mom and sisters not to have to worry about the things you do now. And you have friends that believe in you.”

Chris laughed. “So you'd come see me sing?” he asked, throwing an arm around her as they walked, pausing at a shop they went into sometimes. It was a pawn shop that also dealt with new items as well, everything was always 'on sale' according to the sign on the door.

“I'd be there in the front row, cheering the loudest,” Jenna answered him. “Let's go in,” she suggested. She walked with Chris as he looked at the televisions and then the electronics. They both looked through records and then perused the jewelry and other things that were on display in the cases.

“See something you like?” the man sitting there reading the paper asked, not getting up.

“No, just looking,” Chris told him, watching Jenna look over the jewelry. He spotted something he knew she'd like, making plans to get it once they'd left. It was from a pawn shop, but at the same time there was some very high end stuff at those places that people didn't want.

*^*^*^*^*^*
Jenna looped her arm through Chris's as they walked further away from downtown. They'd been in the pawn shop, a couple of clothing stores and the pharmacy. She'd found out the manager would be more than happy to have her help out over winter break while a few of her regular staff were out for the holidays. That had made her happy. Plus she'd found what she was going to get Chris. Or at least what she hoped she would get him. He was a sports nut and loved football. Jenna spotted a jacket with the Pittsburgh Steelers logo on it in one of the stores with a sign that said it was on sale. She just hoped it was there when she went to buy it. “So when are we exchanging gifts?” she asked him as the scenery changed around them.

“Christmas Eve as usual,” he replied, laughing when she sighed. Chris always held out until the last minute, usually when they were going up the steps of the church for midnight Mass. Jenna's family wasn't Catholic, but the Davis and Kirkpatrick families went together to celebrate the holiday.

The downtown turned to a park where they could ice skate and Chris pulled Jenna long in the direction of the man made ice rink. It wasn't as busy as it usually was since school was going on and soon the two friends found themselves slipping and sliding on the ice.

“You better not pull me down,” Jenna warned Chris as she tried to balance herself.

“I'll remember you said that, Kristy Yamaguchi,” Chris quipped back.

“Right back at you Scott Hamilton.”

Chris chuckled at her, then laughed when she slipped and fell, landing on her butt. What was even funnier was that he fell also just a few feet from where Jenna was attempting to get up. “Jen, that was hilarious,” he told her as he buried his face into his arm to keep from laughing so hard as he laid there.

“Yeah, well I hope you're cursed with arthritis in your knees and can't dance,” Jenna muttered back at him as he tried to quit laughing. It had beem quite a few years since she'd ice skated and it wasn't quite like learning to ride a bicycle. You didn't forget how to skate, just that it was still ice and there was a good possibility you would slip and fall no matter if you were a novice or a pro.

“That's not nice you know,” Chris gave her a grin and held his hand out to her to help her up, lacing his fingers through hers once she was steady and they both skated. Her hand felt warm in his, right. Familiar. After an hour they were both cold and ready to get off the ice. “What do you want to do now?” he asked as they both put on their shoes, not caring what they did as long as it involved getting warm.

“Let's get some hot cider,” Jenna pointed at a vendor that was selling hot chocolate and cider and decorated sugar cookies. It had been steady since they'd arrived and right then some cider sounded good. “I'm treating this time,” she bumped Chris's shoulder.

“Fine...I didn't want you helping me spend my hard earned money anyway,” he teased as they went to stand in line. “What are you wanting to do with your life? You always seem to be pushing me to do stuff. You're good at History and English. You always have your nose in a book or listening to music.”

“I'm not sure. I know I want to go to college if I can afford it. Probably major in Business with a minor in History or something,” Jenna shrugged. “I know I should know what I want to do with my life but I don't. It's kinda hard since everything revolves around money and I have next to none. That people thing less of me because my family isn't what is normal and all that.” Jenna's eyes met Chris's brown ones and she smiled. “Enough with my pity party,” she told him, ordering them both a large hot cider and some sugar cookies that were shaped like reindeer and a Santa one.

The park itself was pretty empty, finding a bench to sit on was easy enough. It was cloudy and looked like it could snow which made the whole winter scene that much better.

“So, about your Christmas present,” Chris started after he'd polished off two of the cookies. “What do you want me to sing?” he asked purposely when Jenna had her mouth full, knowing she hated that. “I'll pick,” he told her before she could swallow, getting up since it was harder to sing sitting down to get enough air.

“The first Noel, the angels did say was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay. In fields, where they lay keeping their sheep, on a cold winter's night that was so deep, Noel, Noel, Noel, No-el, born is the King of Israel,” Chris sang, seeing his breath come out and he grinned at Jenna staring at him singing. It wasn't that he thought he was the best singer ever, but with his best friend watching, he felt he could sing anything and it would be good. He went on to sing another song she liked and shrugged when she clapped. “So, Merry Christmas Jen. Don't ask for another thing...” his words were cut off when her lips met his quickly, her hands coming to either side of his face, mindful of his eye and the bruising around it. It was a surprise to him as he stared at Jenna after the kiss had ended. He wasn't sure what to say or do. What to say to her. She'd tasted like cider and the sugary confection and smelled good.

Jenna wasn't sure why she'd kissed Chris. She guessed it was because she'd thought about it some, knowing that if she was going to kiss a guy she would want it to be him. And he'd sang so beautifully and a thank you just seemed unworthy of what she'd just heard. “I'm sorry, Chris,” she started figuring she'd ruined their friendship. “I just-”

Chris pulled her back to him and returned the kiss she'd given him. “You just what?” he asked, grinning.

“There are some days being friends with you is the most aggravating thing ever!” Jenna yelled at him, not sure what was happening between them. “How is kissing me helping anything? ”

“It kept your lips warm, didn't it?” he grinned, letting her go as they walked back towards the rink and towards downtown, both of them quiet. “You want to come over and watch some television?” he asked after twenty minutes of silence stretched between them.

“Sure,” Jenna said, glad that she was still invited over to his house, hoping things hadn't changed between them. She didn't want things to change, she was happy the way they were, being friends. She hoped it would stay that way for a very long time. One of those people she could call at any time for anything she needed. A smile came to her lips as Chris tried to get her to sing a rowdy rendition of Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer with him the closer they got to their neighborhood. One thing was certain, Chris would never change. And that's what she loved about him.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“What's wrong?” Chris asked Jenna when he spotted her outside Our Holy Trinity Catholic Church. He could tell she'd been crying and looked upset. He could also see she was dressed up, a dress and coat on instead of her usual jeans. He smiled at the gift that was slipped down in his pocket, fingering it before embracing her in a hug. He saw his mother and Jenna's mother both talking and looking at the both of them. “Something happen?” he asked again when he heard her sniffle. “Jen?”

Jenna just held on to Chris tighter, knowing they needed to go into the church for the service. “We're moving,” she whispered, covering her face, her shoulders shaking after she'd let Chris go.

“Moving? When? Where...?” he stood there, not sure of what to say or do. The few days of school and now that they were on break, Jenna had never mentioned she might be moving. He saw his mother and sisters go in with Jenna's, not caring if they were a little late going on. “Stop, crying. Please, Jen..” he plead, pulling her back into him.

Jenna tried to quit crying, wiping her tears and leaning on Chris, to tell him what she'd only found out earlier that day. “Mom got a job in Chicago. We're going to live with my aunt and uncle up there until we find our own place. I have to have all of my things packed two days after Christmas,” her hazel eyes met his brown ones, attempting to smile when he wiped away her tears.

“Chicago's not that far away. We can call...write...all that stuff,” he told her. Chris anchored Jenna to his side as they went into the church. It pained him to think of her moving. It made the service mean a little more knowing his friend wouldn't be there beside him for only a few more days. “Merry Christmas,” Chris whispered to Jenna, slipping her the small jewelry box as the choir sang.

“That's cheating,” Jenna whispered back, smiling at the silver velvety box. Chris's present was in her Mom's car. She put it in her pocket and then slipped her fingers through his. She knew they would try to keep in touch. However, she also knew Chris and how busy he got with school and sports. It would be scary to go somewhere else and to make new friends. She shook those fears and thoughts off as they walked outside. She pulled Chris to where the car was parked and handed him the large box with a bow on it. “Merry Christmas,” she told him, smiling wide.

“Open yours first,” Chris said, wanting to know what she thought of her gift. He watched as she slipped the small ribbon off the box and opened it. “Do you like it?” he asked, running a hand through his hair, a little nervous about it. While he didn't consider it a romantic gift, it still was something he cared about giving her.

Jenna stared down at the golden music note on a beautiful chain. Her finger traced over it, not caring where it came from or what the cost was. It could have come from a quarter machine and she would love it. “It's gorgeous, Chris. Thank you.” She took the necklace out of the box and let him put it on her before insisting he open his present.

Chris pulled the box open and grinned. “This is awesome, Jen! Where did you find it?” he asked, the box clamoring on the ground as he slipped the jacket on. He didn't care if it was something he 'needed'. It was from one of his favorite teams, the tags still on the sleeve with the price tag ripped off. “I look cool, huh? And it's warm..” It was one of the heavy jackets like a letterman jacket with the Steelers logo on the back stitched on and on the front as well. He grinned at her, pulling her in for a hug. “You're the best,” he told her, ignoring the 'ewww gross' comments by his sisters and her brother.

“Look at the two of you,” Beverly told them. “I want a picture of the two of you with your gifts,” she said, pulling out her camera. She got a couple pictures of Chris and Jenna together, smiling at them. “I think I have a picture of the two of year every year since second grade.”

“We'll come say goodbye before we leave,” Trisha Davis told them all, watching her daughter and Chris hug once more. “The service was wonderful as usual.”

The two families lingered and talked, finally getting around to saying goodbye.

“Merry Christmas, Chris,” Jenna said, leaning in kissing him chastely on the lips.

“Happy Holidays, Jen,” he said, returning her kiss and blushing when his Mom caught them. “I can kiss my friend, Ma.” He let her go, pulling her back for one second to whisper in her ear. “Thanks for the jacket.”

“You're welcome,” Jenna gave him a grin before she got into the car. She fingered her necklace and smiled before tears pricked her eyes once more.
Chapter 3 by DiamondDoss
Jenna carefully applied her make up, nervous about the evening. Her eyes went to the pictures that were carefully arranged in frames. A small smile crossed her face as she thought of the last picture of her and Chris together. It was his graduation day and she'd flown down to see him. He'd come up for hers and it was only fair that she went for his. They'd kept in touch through out their high school days. Afterward though, the letters and phone calls had tapered off. Especially once Chris had went overseas with four other guys to start a singing group. She'd read how NSYNC had gotten famous over in Europe. She'd ordered the European album and listened, amazed at the sound of the five men, picking out Chris's counter tenor, loving any little solos he'd have. Once they became a household name in the United States, she'd caught a couple shows, but never got the chance to get close to Chris. It wasn't that he didn't think he wouldn't remember her, but she no longer had contact with his mother or knew if the last address she had for him was the same. Even now in the world of electronics and internet, she wasn't going to trust finding him with that.

She caught her reflection in the mirror and smiled, her eyes going to the ticket stuck in the corner of the frame. Her brother Brenden had given it to her, claiming an early Christmas gift. A ticket to see NSYNC where they were taping an Ntimate Holiday Special. A myriad of emotions went through her. It might be a long shot, but she was hoping to see Chris. Her last piece of getting ready was in her jewelry box, where it stayed when it wasn't around her neck. The necklace she'd gotten from him was a constant on her person. The Orlando weather was much warmer than Chicago when she'd left, but still it was winter so she wore a long sleeved gray shirt with some jeans and comfortable shoes. Her hair was the same brown color it was in school other than a few highlights. She wore contacts now and then glasses when those were out and had gained a few pounds, but for the most part looked much the same. Sticking her ticket in her purse, she blew out a breath and tried to steady her nerves. Even though Jenna wasn't expecting a lot, she was still excited as she went out to the waiting taxi that she'd called.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“You got that look on your face again. Spacing out,” Joey told him, snapping Chris out of his thoughts.

“Oh. Sorry...It's Christmas. It's nothing,” he told the younger man, sighing. He wouldn't admit it, but he kept hoping to see Jenna. That she'd just pop into his life. He'd hated that they lost contact. And while he didn't think of her all the time, he couldn't help but think of her around this time of year. He'd come across the picture of them together from tenth grade and he'd looked at it for a long time before closing the picture album it was in and putting it up.

“What's the girls name, dude?” Justin asked on his other side as he fiddled with the marker cap. There was only 200 fans allowed in for this 'intimate' setting with NSYNC, so they were poised to do a meet and greet with them.

“Jenna...She's a girl I knew back in Ohio,” Chris explained, knowing he'd talked about her some, getting nods from the guys. He could see the line starting to get long and put a smile on his face, shoving his memories to the back of his mind to focus on the task at hand. He enjoyed the smaller venues and more personal concerts. Chris felt like he could give more of his time to the fans and appreciated those who came out and supported them. While some were more passionate than others, it was still enjoyable to meet people.

“I was wondering if might remember this,” a woman's voice said before Chris could look up at her, sliding a picture towards him. He stared at the image. Of a much younger him and the girl he'd thought about just earlier. He lifted his head and met hazel eyes, his breath catching when he spotted the necklace. “Jenna...” his voice trailed off, not believing he was seeing her as she nodded.

“Hi Chris,” she said, praying her voice wasn't shaking, knowing her stomach was in knots. “You have girls with posters all over their rooms and singing along to your songs now,” she said, watching him stand up and lean across the table and hug her hard, laughing when he just jumped on the table and landed just to the side of her and pulled her in for the hug. “And your hair was so wacky...” she said, feeling silly at the sudden onslaught of tears.

“God, Jen...I've missed you,” Chris told her, not cauring who stared or that they were holding up the meet and greet line. He smiled at the familiarity of her embrace, his heart swelled with happiness and pride that she'd come. “How are you?” he asked, giving her a good looking over, smiling at her tears.

“I'm...” Jen wiped tears and hugged Chris one more time. “I'm great now,” she told him, laughing. “How are you?”

“I'm great...wonderful...” he replied, pulling her around to the back behind security with her things, instead of holding up the meet and greet line. It was a quick introduction and Jenna sat behind him and they talked in small snippets between autographs and pictures.

Chris couldn't believe she was here, sitting behind him. He'd had no idea how to reach her either when he'd come back from Europe and he'd let it go that it was a pipe dream he was going to see Jenna again. “Remember what you told me after that poster and girls singing stuff?” he asked, raising an eyebrow at her laughing at something Joey was saying.

Jenna shook her head at his friend and then looked at him. “I think so. Something about I'd be in the front row...I'm finally here. So does that count? Brenden scored me the ticket from some radio show. I told him he won brother of the year. The HBO special was awesome, by the way. I was one of those screaming fans way up in the rafters,” she told Chris, blushing a little.

“She was the one that sent that letter that went down the hallway, I bet,” Justin stage whispered, laughing.

“I saw that,” Jenna chuckled. “Sorry...that wasn't me. I don't have that much time on my hands and besides that, I'm not sure Chris is worth the postage it took to send the letter,” she teased, sticking her tongue out at him.

“That hurts, Davis,” Chris told her, his lips snaking into a grin. “At least you can say you've kissed me...” he laughed when she shook her head and covered her eyes. “What? Turnabout is fair play...”

“You're still something else, Kirkpatrick.” Jenna had no idea what was going to happen between them. She couldn't say for sure they would keep in constant contact, but her heart was hopeful that she could at least have her friend back. The rest of the fans went through and that left them all sitting there until it was time for them to go get ready.

She let Chris pull her to him again, smiling when his lips brushed hers. “So Christopher Alan, you still have that Steelers jacket? What do you want this year?”

“Yes, I have it,” Chris told her, chuckling. “And I have what I wanted this year. I don't need anything else.” His eyes studied her and he winked at her. “You still want me to sing to you?”

Jenna nodded. “That was all I wanted that year too. The Christmas gift I wanted was just to hear you sing.”

“Well, if that's all....” Chris's voice trailed off when he heard his name being called. “You'll stay after the concert, right? Come have dinner with me...or us,” he motioned to the guys who were waiting on him. He couldn't lose her again.

“I'd love to,” Jenna told him. “Go get ready,” she told him, pushing him towards his band mates. Out of all the holidays, Christmas was her favorite. It wasn't about the material things, but about the love and hope it brought with the season. And she figured this was going to be one of the best Christmases she'd had. The ticket in her hand was that reminder: Row 1 Seat 28. Just like she'd promised.
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2471