Masquerade by DiamondDoss
Summary:

Photobucket

When Joey meets a girl at a Halloween party, he's attracted to her even when he doesn't know her name.


Categories: Challenges, Completed Het Stories Characters: Group, Joey Fatone
Awards: None
Genres: Humor, Romance
Challenges: Fall Into Fall
Challenges: Fall Into Fall
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: Yes Word count: 7078 Read: 1575 Published: Oct 23, 2012 Updated: Oct 23, 2012
Story Notes:
This Mel and Rachel is not the same Mel and Rachel in 'Between Friends'. Enjoy anyways. :) I hope my Chris muse cooperates next time for his story.  Thanks to my beta and bestie, jr88freak for the banner and help.

1. Chapter 1 by DiamondDoss

2. Chapter 2 by DiamondDoss

Chapter 1 by DiamondDoss


“Just remind me why I'm going to this?” Melissa Riley asked her best friend Rachel Hunter, her cell phone pressed to her ear. “I'm the short, shy girl that works in PR helping with the photographs and the website. Nothing exciting.”


“You're going because you can't wait to see the object of your affection,” Rachel teased her, listening to her friend harrumph. “Listen, Mel, you're going because you got invited and it would be rude to not go.”


Melissa grabbed the lipstick out of her make up bag and applied it with one hand. She was dressed as one of those dancing girls from Las Vegas, big feathers and all, a mask covering her face as per the masquerade rules. “I'd gladly let you go. I see those guys almost every day. It's not a big deal.”


Rachel sat on her couch and rolled her eyes heavenward. “If I thought it would help, I'd rent out a billboard in Orlando and put up a sign that says you like Joey. You could talk to him tonight. He wouldn't know who you are.” Her cat, Gibbs, came and laid down next to her and purred, wanting attention.


Melissa checked her reflection once more and grabbed her purse and keys. “I don't know whether to take that as a compliment or an insult. He hardly knows who I am anyway. And it's not like millions of other girls don't think that way about him.” It wasn't Joey's fault, he was usually en-route from one thing or another. He'd always smile and say hi if he wasn't talking to someone, stopping once to make sure he liked a picture she'd altered the coloring on. She'd grinned from ear to ear when he'd complimented her on it, blushing profusely. “I might talk to him, Rach. You'll be the first to know.”


“I better be. I want all the details. Go have fun my little wallflower,” Rachel told Melissa, hanging up and sending up a quick prayer that her friend would be brave. Rachel was the complete opposite of Melissa, the life of the party and able to make friends with anyone and everyone. That was how the two of them became friends. The first day of junior high, the two of them were paired up in Chemistry class. Rachel had talked a mile a minute the first half of class before she realized Melissa's eyes were as big as dinner plates and she was trying to bury her head in her Chemistry book. She'd pried the shy girl out of her books and music long enough to realize Melissa Riley was smart, just afraid of anything that would put her being the center of attention.


When Melissa had landed the job with NSYNC as part of their PR group to go on tour and be around a huge group of people, Rachel was shocked. However, Melissa loved the fact that it was still behind the scenes. She herself was an author. Rachel's time spent between book signings and appearances and stuck in front of her computer for hours on end. She smiled when her phone beeped and a picture came through. “At the party,” the caption said, with Melissa smiling. “Go get 'em!” was her reply, grabbing the remote to settle in for a Law and Order: SVU Marathon.


*^*^*^*^*^

“Look at all the hot ladies,” Chris said, watching people come in the door. They were all dressed up for Halloween, but had masks on so it covered up who they were. It was part of the fun, to keep your identity a mystery.


“I'm not sure I knew all these women worked for us,” Joey pointed out, looking over at Chris in his pirate regalia. “You look good, Kirkpatrick. Who picked out your costume? Your mother?” he laughed when Chris flipped him the bird.


“Shut up, Boy Wonder. Did you ask Chris O' Donnell if you could borrow that?” Chris taunted in reply, looking at Joey's 'Robin' costume from the movie.


Joey didn't respond, busy trying to figure out who people were. He had a pretty good idea of who most of the people were by their costumes or any other identifying characteristics.


Melissa stood just inside the doorway, listening to the music and not sure what she wanted to do. She knew what she would do if she was in her normal clothes. She'd find the nearest table in a corner and stay, praying no one would see her. However, she'd given herself a pep talk all the way there, telling herself that no one knew who she was, at least in costume and she could afford to get out there and mingle. Starting with the snack table, she grabbed a plate and some food, munching on a mini popcorn ball and cheese and crackers. She'd picked out Justin, just because she'd heard the rumor he was coming as a pimp. She chuckled to herself at the hat and cane, shaking her head slightly.


“I thought those Las Vegas girls were supposed to be taller,” a slight New York accent asked, coming from behind her.


Melissa knew it was Joey; hearing him talk every day made her sure of that. She swallowed what she had in her mouth and shrugged. Usually she would have just blushed and not answered him, but then she turned around and eyed his costume. “And I thought Robin was supposed to be a sidekick,” she told Joey, smiling when he laughed. “You're cheating on Superman.”


“Touche,” Joey said, looking over her head to where Chris was. They'd been trying to figure out who everyone was and couldn't place her. “Don't tell me you crashed the party. I figure between me and Chris, we knew everyone in here.”


Melissa took one of the drinks she was offered, sipping it. “And I thought we weren't supposed to name names,” she raised an eyebrow at Joey. “You do know me...at least in regular clothes. Not like I have this stashed in my closet and pull it out and strut around the house after work. Or bring it on the road,” Melissa laughed at herself. “Let me guess, you're going to wear that to the next concert and sleep in the mask?”


“Damn, how did you know?” Joey replied, grabbing a plate and some food since they hadn't moved. “So, you come here often? I mean, not for parties and shit,” he made a face at his cursing, knowing he didn't have a filter from his brain to his mouth at times. He wasn't on a date, didn't have to watch what he said as much.


“Not usually, no. I'm more of a take out kind of person,” Melissa confessed, watching other people come up to Joey and talk to him. He didn't move away from her, but he wasn't rude either as he talked and made sure everyone had been greeted. She didn't think he would hang on her, since the party was hosted by the five band mates.


Joey was glad when the group moved on, smiling at the girl still standing there. He couldn't for the life of him remember what they were talking about. “Sorry about that. Hard to have a conversation in all this,” he waved his hand at the crowd.


“It's alright,” Melissa told Joey, hoping she could go have a girl moment later. Like when the quarter back of the football team notices the lowly nerd and smiles at her. It was one of those kind of moments. “I'm sure everyone here wants to talk to at least one of you. A moment of your time seems to be a hot commodity.”


“Some days it is. Other days you end up being by yourself and thinking a lot. Those days are nice too,” Joey told her, not sure why he was letting words just spill out of his mouth. Usually he was cracking jokes. “So where do you work in the plethora of people here?” He wanted to figure out who she was before he moved on.


“In Public Relations,” Melissa told him, a smile playing on her lips when he frowned slightly. “What's the fun if you know who everyone is? Maybe you can find out at midnight. I mean, how do I know you're Joey?” she teased him, loving his genuine smile.


Joey laughed, shrugging. “Fine. I concede.” He leaned in and grinned. “Sort of hard not to be Joey since my hair's red. Don't think any of the others would dye their hair just for tonight.” Joey looked away when he heard his name, being yelled at by Justin and Chris to come help with one of the many games that was going to be happening. “You're staying til midnight, right Vegas?” he said, wanting something to call her since she obviously wasn't going to give up her name.


“Yeah,” she nodded, “I'll be here.” Melissa watched him walk away, her heart beating wildly in her chest. It was more than she'd talked to Joey on the first six months of tour and the four months of prepping before it. Now all she wanted was a moment to let Rachel know. She made her way over to where some tables were and was about to sit down when she spotted her boss, Lena. Lena Phillips was in her forties and someone Melissa looked up to, able to handle anything thrown at her and come out looking like nothing had happened. “Hi Lena,” she said, grinning.


“Is that our shy Riley?” Lena said, dressed as Wonder Woman. She'd called Melissa by her last name for so long it was automatic. There was another Melissa that was a backup dancer and yet another doing set up. This was easier. “You look gorgeous. And did I see you talking to a guy?” her smile widened as she sat down next to the younger girl.


“Yes, it's me. And yes..I was talking to Joey,” she couldn't help the slight blush that came to her face. She didn't look at Lena for a few minutes, hating that she was so shy about herself. It wasn't that she didn't want to be around people, just that in a big crowd where it was always busy, she tended to enjoy being anonymous.


“That boy could talk to anyone and make them feel comfortable,” Lena told her. “You need to get out here and have some fun. We'll be back to work in a few days and then I can't get you to say five sentences.”


“You told me to work, not talk,” Melissa told her, laughing. “So now you want me to talk? See what I have to deal with?” she asked a guy dressed up as Thor, her co-worker Wes.


“I'm not in this. We need to get over to where the guys are if we're gonna play this game,” he told the women, walking over to where the five guys had gathered on the stage, everyone around them.

“How's everyone doing?” Lance asked the crowd, smiling at the cheers. “I know you probably have figured out who everyone else is, but for fun, no masks come off until midnight. We have some great games and prizes and food. If you don't have a good time, it's your fault,” he said, everyone chuckling. He was dressed up as an astronaut, with JC next to him dressed up as a football player.


“Right now we're going to play a game. Each of us is going to pick four of you to come up here and be on our team. There's going to be music played. It might be part of lyrics, just the music, or someone talking during a song. Each team has one member guessing at a time. First one to get it gets a point. First team to ten wins,” Chris explained.


People were chosen and there were cheers and trash talking by the crowd and teams with one another. Melissa had laughed at Justin and JC arguing over someone. Her laugh was short lived when Joey had to pick his last team member.


“I want Vegas..Where are you?” Joey found her and smiled, hooking a finger and motioning for her to come forward.


“Get up there or I'm firing you,” Lena leaned down and whispered, teasing but at the same time pushing Melissa forward.


Melissa didn't rush forward, telling herself that she could do this. Rachel would be proud as she stood with Joey's team and the game started. She felt like she had an advantag; she'd spent much of her childhood and adolescence in her room listening to the radio and music that her parents loved.


“You gonna rock this?” Joey asked softly, giving her shoulder a light squeeze when she nodded and went forward. He'd tried hard not to think on this girl too much. He high fived her when she was the victor, sticking out his tongue at Chris.


In the end it came down to Joey's team and Justin's. Melissa was up against Justin and hoped it was a song she would know at least. She gave Justin a smile when he looked at her confidently. It wasn't a smug look, he was having fun. She listened to the lyrics and it took her a moment to place the song.


“Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons, Oh What a Night,” she said quickly, watching Justin hang his head and everyone cheered and clapped. “Good game,” she told Justin, getting a hug from him and then one from Joey.


“All of Joey's team gets these nifty new I-Pods,” JC told them as Joey handed out the prizes. “And since you were the finalist, you get something extra. Dinner for two at Chino's,” JC handed her the gift certificate to the very popular restaurant. They announced the next game would be played in a couple hours and then the music started again.


Melissa thanked him and Joey before making her way off the stage, glad to be back in the crowd. She accepted congratulations and was making her way towards one of the patios to get some air and call Rachel when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned, surprised to see Joey. “Yes?” she asked, wondering what he wanted. It was the little nagging voice in her head telling her that it was just because she was here that he was talking to her. Once she was back at work, she would be invisible once more.


“I was just gonna tell you that you did a great job. It's not often Justin gets stumped on songs,” Joey told her. He told himself that all he was doing was talking, being nice. That wasn't a stretch for him. Other than the fact he wanted to know who she was. He hated that he didn't know her name. “So, Vegas, you taking someone to dinner?”


Melissa blushed a little, wondering if that was Joey's way of asking if she had a boyfriend. “Probably my friend Rachel,” she admitted. “Why?”


“No reason, just wondering.” He changed the subject to something else before he was pulled away, making sure to follow her with his eyes as she disappeared out the door to one of the patios.


Melissa pulled out her cell phone and hit Rachel's number on her most recent calls. She listened to the song play and smiled at her friend saying hello. “I talked to him, Rach.”


“You did? What did he come dressed as? What did he say?” Rachel put her plate of food in the microwave and pressed buttons as the machine came to life. Her smile grew when she listened to Melissa answer, hearing the excitement in her friend's voice. “See? It wasn't that hard. Joey won't bite. Do me one favor though.”


“I'm afraid to ask what that is,” Melissa replied, sitting down in one of the chairs, glad for the slight breeze that was blowing. Even in October, Orlando was warm.


“Ask Joey to go with you to Chino's.” She could picture her friend's expression and quickly kept talking. “Just as friends..or..a date, whatever you think.”


Melissa's mouth gaped for a moment and she shut it. “I can't do that, Rachel! I mean, it's not in a contract or anything,” she got up and started pacing. “I can't just ask him out. Not like this! The girl doesn't ask the guy out.”


Rachel got her food out and took it to the living room, sitting back down on the couch. “You need to come to the 21st century, Riley. You can ask him out. You said he was talking to you, asked you who you were taking.”


“I told him I was taking you! Now I think I'll just go by myself,” she growled into her phone, telling her friend goodbye a few minutes later. Melissa stood there a few more minutes, glad no one had come outside. She was torn. The part of her that had come out tonight was new. Someone she could pretend to be. Not the dorky, painfully shy girl that she was. The one who sang along to songs in department stores and had a fascination with the 'Dear Abby' column. No one would ever think she was 'cool'. It wasn't a lie. She was funny and acted like she had tonight with her closest friends and family, but it was just for the party tonight. No one knew who she was, other than her co-workers. She heard the door open and more people came out. She excused herself to let the couple have some privacy, going back in.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*

“So you're really gonna make me wait until midnight?” Joey asked from across the Foosball table, spinning the black handles, grimacing when the ball sailed past him into the goal. “Damn it.”


“Like all good things, you have to wait. And no, you can't use a Jedi mind trick on me,” Melissa told him, sticking her tongue out when he lost the ball and she scored again.


“Vegas, you're beating my ass at this. I'll have to call my brother and tell him I finally found someone that will beat him.”


“It's beginner's luck,” Melissa said, watching him shake his head. “So...any big holiday plans after the tour is over?” She was curious what he was going to do with the two month break. Melissa had opted to work part time at one of the retail stores to make some money before the guys came back in to record their newest album.


“Vacation, Holidays, do some promo stuff and sing at the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. Go see my Nona. She and Grampa still live up in Brooklyn. Lots of cousins and stuff up there...You ever been to New York City? I mean, other than for work?” Joey found it easy to tell her things, be himself. No forced conversation.


“No, not for anything other than work. We got to have a day to ourselves while you were doing radio interviews. I went to Central Park and some of the landmarks. Statue of Liberty and stuff. I would go back in a heartbeat. I never got to ride on the Subway.” Melissa wanted to face palm herself. That was a stupid comment, but she just shrugged.


“I'm sure there are better things than the Subway in New York you didn't see. Nothing beats The Big Apple at night,” Joey went on, telling her about restaurants and places to see, being pulled away by Justin when it was time to play another game.


“What are you doing?” Justin questioned as they went towards the stage. “Who is that girl? She got catnip in her boobs or something? Usually you're surrounded by no less than five or six girls...”


“She works for us, PR...” Joey said, raising an eyebrow at Justin. “We're just talking.”


“Call it whatever you want, man,” he clapped a hand on Joey's shoulder and smiled.


“Somedays, I'm not sure why the hell I tell you anything, Timberlake. You're worse than a meddling woman. Not everything is about sex.” Joey's voice got clipped and he glared at the younger man.


“Dude, I'm fucking Switzerland,” Justin held up his hands as they got to the stage. It had been a while since Joey had let himself hang out with one girl that wasn't in the interest of taking her home. He hoped for his friend's sake that this woman was the real deal. He grabbed a mic, announcing the next game as people crowded around the stage. So far, the night was turning out swimmingly.


Chapter 2 by DiamondDoss


Joey glanced up at the clock again. He wasn't sure why he was so nervous. Excited was more the word. Just to shut Justin up, he'd went and hung out with other people, finally meandering back to where 'Vegas' had been. She was losing badly at pool and he'd given her tips, not that it had helped any before he played the next person, winning. When he wasn't being a pool shark, they'd talked.


He found out she liked rainy days and fall, that she loved reading and hated Math. Joey laughed when she confessed to him in a hushed voice she wasn't good at pool either, or anything really sports related, but loved watching football.


“That makes two of us,” he replied, leaning over to sink two striped balls. “This is about the most sporty thing I do. Unless you count playing Madden on Playstation a sport.”


Melissa's conscious was bothering her. She glanced at the clock with ten minutes to go before it was time to take off her mask. “I'm going to go get a drink,” she told Joey, turning away from him and heading towards one of the bars. She did grab a Coke, opening it and taking a couple swallows. It was a non alcohol party, which was good. Melissa gave one last long look at Joey from where she was, bolting out the door once he was concentrated on the game. She felt guilty at leaving, heading to her car and getting in it and starting up; leaving before anyone would notice. Before she could change her mind, Melissa had backed out of the parking spot and left.


At the first light, the mask came off, landing in her passenger seat with a soft thud. She wiped tears that followed, ashamed. She'd been having a great time. It wasn't anything Joey did, just that insecurities crept in. Melissa wasn't the beautiful bombshell type that was found on the arms of guys like Joey. She knew he was just a guy, but she also knew what kind of women they were with, dated. Even if it wasn't that attraction, there was no way she could be as open with him as she was tonight. Hiding behind a mask had worked and she didn't want to ruin what he'd thought of her. The clock in her car said midnight. It made Melissa cry harder, not liking the what if's that came to her mind.



Joey's eyes never left the clock, a countdown like for New Years. He took off his mask, looking around at the familiar faces. He hadn't thought much when the woman he'd been with most of the night went for a drink, figuring she went to the restroom or found someone to say hi to. He frowned though, when he couldn't spot the plumes of the headdress or her costume.


“You looking for someone?” Lance asked Joey, seeing him crane his neck and then turn first one way and then the other, a perplexed look on his face.


“She can't be gone,” Joey muttered to himself, looking at Lance. “That girl..Vegas..I can't find her,” he said, disappointment lacing his words. He was confused, not sure why she would run off right before the big reveal. It wasn't like his was going to be a surprise, but she'd kept him waiting. And now this.


When Lance asked if he wanted him to ask around, Joey just shook his head. The party was all but over and he suddenly didn't feel like staying any more.


“Did you see your dream girl?” Justin asked, his mask off, a smile on his face until Joey shook his head. “Where the fuck did she go?” he looked much the way Joey did, looking around.


“Do I look like I know?” Joey snapped, running a hand through his hair. “She works for us, right? I'll find her tomorrow and ask her what the hell is wrong with her...” he let his voice trail off, going to say goodbye to some other people. He drove home, tossing his keys in their usual spot on the bar after locking the doors. He was still mad, aggravated. It wasn't like he'd invited her back to his place. His mind ran back through the conversations, wondering if he'd said something wrong. It had been a long time since he'd felt like he'd met someone that could offer him something more than just what happened in the bedroom. A friend. Joey shook his head as his costume came off, glancing at the clock once more after pulling on some shorts and crawling into bed. He'd get to the studio early and start questioning people. He'd find the woman and give her a piece of his mind.

*^*^*^*^*


“What the hell do you mean you left early?” Rachel stood in her living room, glaring at her friend who sat on her couch, tear tracks down her face. “So you spend practically the whole night glued to his side- him to yours rather- and then you LEAVE? What were you thinking?” she yelled, shaking her head.


Melissa's chin was resting on her knees since her legs were pulled up in front of her, having come to Rachel's after changing clothes. Her socked feet were on the couch and her eyes met Rachel's. “I didn't want him to be disappointed, Rach. I'm not the most beautiful, or talented at anything. I mean, I've been around him for almost a year and this is the first time we actually talked. I wouldn't have gone up to him if it had been a regular party. Or if he'd come up to me like he did, I would have found a place to hide.”


“So basically you chickened out and made yourself look like a jerk,” Rachel held up her hand before Melissa could protest. “Not everyone has awesome people skills or is outgoing. Who's the most shy in the group? JC,” Rachel answered her own question. “But JC doesn't let him being shy make him into someone who's rude. You're not rude, Mel. Sometimes you don't think. You get scared and bolt because someone might notice you.” A small smile came to her face as Melissa wiped more tears. “The guy you've wanted to notice you does and what do you do?”


“I run away and treat him like dirt,” Melissa mumbled, burying her face in her knees.


Rachel knew her friend didn't mean it. It had taken a lot to convince her friend to even go to the party, to dress up as a show girl. She knew Melissa as the girl Joey had gotten a momentary glimpse of, but it had taken almost six months after they met to get her to agree to even go out to see a movie they'd been talking about for weeks when they were younger when it finally came out. She sat down and pulled her friend to her in a hug. “Tell me you're going to tell him who you are. Since you bailed on the poor guy at the most opportune moment.”


Melissa nodded. “He looked hot too. He was wearing a Robin costume. Like the one Chris O' Donnell wore in the movie. I had to try and not drool,” she confessed, sighing and sitting up. “I'm just not sure if I can tell him it's me. I mean, I'm not anyone that would get his attention. Any guy's attention.”


“That's because you blush and find a way to not talk to them. I looked up shy and wallflower in the dictionary and lo and behold, your picture was in there,” Rachel told her. “And you did get his attention or he wouldn't have followed you around all night.”


“It wasn't all night,” Melissa told her, rolling her eyes at Rachel who scoffed. “I talked to other people too.”


“Wes and Lena don't count as other people. You see them every day all day.”


“How's the book coming?” Melissa asked Rachel, hoping to get the subject changed, trying not to notice the glare she got. “Just wondering. And just so you know, Ms. Hunter, it's not like you're hot and heavy in a relationship either.”


“Well it's not because I ran away from a guy that I could have maybe had dinner with,” Rachel pointed out.


“Sometimes, you're a pain the ass.”


“That's my job,” Rachel told Melissa, tossing a blanket on the couch, along with a pillow from the guest room. “Since you insist that the couch is the most comfortable place to sleep, there ya go. Your ass better tell him in the morning, or I'm posting a billboard on the interstate on the way to work. Don't think I won't either.”


“You suck,” Melissa muttered after telling Rachel goodnight. It was dark and she laid there, hating to think about what could have happened. She was determined to find a way to tell Joey who she was, and at the same time not have to do it in front of a lot of people. That was if she could make herself.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^


Joey looked at the sparse parking lot and at the clock in his car. “Shit,” he muttered, hot coffee with creamer burning his throat as it went down. He was grouchy and eyed the vehicles in the lot, wondering if one of them belonged to her. He'd argued with himself just to forget it. There were more girls out there in the world than just this one. At the same time, he liked this one. His phone rang and he hit send, a smile on his face. “Hi, Janine.”


“Hey, Joe. You're up early...Don't tell me you're at work,” she admonished her little brother, listening to him chuckle. “How was the party?”


“It was good.” Joey knew his sister would ask him what was up, sighing when she did. His answers usually involved more than three words. He explained to her about 'Vegas' and about what he was feeling and if she thought he was crazy to look for her.


“I think you're crazy, but not for that. I mean, what if this girl had a valid reason for not wanting to tell you who she was?”


“Like what? It was a crappy thing to do, Jan,” Joey said, wondering what went through his sister's mind sometimes.


“Well, what if she doesn't think that you'd like her if you knew who she was?”


“Why would that make any difference?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.


Janine sighed. “Contrary to popular belief, even if this girl works with you, in her mind she might think she's not pretty enough or whatever. Look at the girls you date. Not just you but all the guys. Women that look like they fall out of magazine ads. I know it's clothes and make up...but it's intimidating as hell. Combine that with someone who's not as outgoing as you are and there you go.”


Joey leaned his head back on the headrest and closed his eyes. “I liked her. She had me talking about all sorts of stuff. For the first time in a while I was feeling like I was talking to someone who I could hang out with at home watching tv. Just Joey.”

“Well then I think you better look for her. And don't jump her ass too hard. She might want to explain. Love you.”


Joey replied in turn and hit end on his phone. He let out an expletive when he looked around, the parking lot was almost full. He groaned and ran a hand through his hair before getting out. He prayed today wasn't going to suck as bad as he thought it might. Joey still had a half hour before it was time to start recording and he was heading to the PR department. He'd get some kind of answer.


“Joey!” he turned when he saw JC jog up to him. “Johnny called and said we had radio interview this morning. It was supposed to be this afternoon but they changed it. We're supposed to be over there in fifteen.”


Joey rolled his eyes and followed JC. He sat down next to Lance and buckled up. “Don't ask,” he said to his best friend, not wanting to rehash last night


“Yeah, don't ask how his ass got dismissed by this girl. Vegas..” Justin told Lance, the smirk on his face falling when Joey glared at him. “Was a damned shitty thing to do.”


“Give the girl a break. Joey was hanging on her...” Chris said, sitting next to Justin. “I mean, that would make me run away.”


“Bite me,” Joey told them both, flipping them off when Justin told him to mark off an acre. He knew he had to focus on work, but it still left him thinking. It made him more determined to find the mystery girl, plotting out what he was going to do once they got back to the studio.


*^*^*^*^*^

At every turn, Joey's plans had been thwarted to look for the woman. The radio interview went long and they went straight to rehearsals. Now he was hot and sweaty, just looking forward to a shower and something to eat. His cell phone beeped and he raised an eyebrow at the message. 'Check yo ride, hoss.' It was from Justin and he slung his duffle bag over his shoulder and made his way out to the parking lot. He spotted a girl leaning on his car and he tried hard not to smile. When he got to her, he wasn't sure whether he still wanted to be mad. “So, this is really you Vegas?” he asked, studying the woman.


“Me? No... I'm just the messenger service,” Rachel smiled at Joey. “She asked if you'd meet her at the park over on the other side of town. She'd bring dinner.” She watched him stand there, not sure whether to believe her or not. “She'll kill me if she knew I was telling you this. The first day she came over after work, I had to hear all about this Joey guy. Then when I told her to talk to you, she just shut down. In junior high, if a guy even looked at her, she'd pretend to blend in to the lockers or the desk, anything to keep from getting attention. It's taken her this long to even talk to you and she wants to explain.”


“So she's shy?” Joey asked, trying to get the pieces to fit as Rachel nodded. “Then why didn't she just say that?”


“Vegas, as you call her, is afraid if you know who she is, it will run you off. That girl you got see last night was someone I've known for years. Without the mask on, it goes away. Hidden, if you will. I'm not saying you have to talk to her anymore after tonight, or think you two will be best friends or whatever else. I just think you should go talk to her.”


Joey sighed, nodding a little. “As long as she doesn't mind me being nasty from practice,” he finally said, getting into his vehicle and starting it, rolling down the window, getting a clothing description. “Who are you, by the way?”


“I'm Rachel,” she replied, giving Joey a little wave as he drove off. She smiled and sent a text to her friend. 'Just got out of a meeting, be there in a little bit xoxo' One little white lie never hurt anyone, she figured, getting into her own car and heading towards where she lived, a bigger smile on her face.


*^*^*^*^*^


“Vegas?” Melissa's head snapped up at the sound of Joey's voice, shocked that he was standing there. Her mouth went dry and she swallowed, trying to get some moisture back into it. She looked him over, noting that he looked tired and a little hesitant. “Yeah..I'm her,” she gave him a small smile when he nodded. “I'm sorry-”


“Your name,” Joey interrupted her, folding his arms across his chest.


“Melissa..Melissa Riley.”


“You ran out on me last night, Melissa Riley,” he told her, watching her face blush and she looked down, her eyes not meeting his. He couldn't understand why she would think he wouldn't like her. Joey knew himself he liked legs and breasts and hair. More than that, he liked a girl who was real, no matter what her looks were. The woman not looking at him was cute, and it was hard for him to be aggravated. “Why did you leave last night? I thought we were having fun...” he continued, wanting her to speak.


Melissa knew she had to look at Joey, pulling her head up so her eyes could meet his. “Last night was the most fun I've had...in a long time.” She shrugged, not sure what else to say. “I...I wasn't sure you'd want to know who I was. I'm not all those bubbly giggly girls who want to be in the spotlight. I'd rather be at my house when I'm home and not go out. I like being un-noticed. At least most of the time. Then when you started talking to me, I figured it was because I was wearing a mask and you didn't know who I was. I could act like I do with my friend Rachel..with my family.”


“You were afraid I wasn't going to like you just because you're shy?” Joey asked, watching her head nod as he sat down beside her. “You want to know something?” he said quietly, looking over at her.


“I think you need to toss that thought right out of your head,” Joey's hand caught one of hers. “I haven't talked to a woman..I mean really talked to them, like we did..in a long time. It was nice to feel like I didn't have to act like someone else or pretend to be some celebrity,” he made a stupid face that made her laugh. He caught her chin when she turned to look away. “You made me feel special, Vegas.”


“I'm sorry...about leaving last night. I'm not that type of person...And me being me, I panicked and began second guessing myself without giving you a chance.” Melissa sighed, looking Joey over. “What made you come out here?” she questioned, having an idea.


“Your friend Rachel told me you wanted to talk and you had food,” Joey told her looking around. There wasn't any food on the picnic table and he chuckled when she ground her teeth and muttered under her breath.


“Rachel was supposed to meet me here and we were going to walk the trail and then go eat at Chino's,” Melissa explained. “She tricked me. Remind me to flip the breaker switch to her room that has her computer in it. Serves her right.”


Joey laughed, getting up and holding out his hand to her. “Well, I'm here. No reason for us not to walk,” he took her hand and pulled her up onto her feet. “You have to stop worrying so much, Vegas.”


“Is that my nickname now?” Melissa asked as they started down the path that wound around the park, off to one side to let runners and bikers go around them or come by going the opposite way.


“You're stuck with it,” he told her, chuckling when she went through her list of nicknames. “I was going to ask you last night before you ran off if you wanted to go out to dinner sometime,” Joey's lip curled into a smile as he saw her thinking. “It's an easy answer...yes...” he prodded.


“Or, I could ask you out. Seems like I won a gift certificate to Chino's and my friend ran out on me. I'll have to take someone else instead.”


“So I'm the second option huh? That's really flattering,” Joey teased, pretending to be hurt, laughing when she looked crestfallen. He stopped and shook his head. “Quit worrying so much and just ask me.”


Melissa swallowed hard, looking at Joey, blushing when he gave her a lopsided smile. She'd always thought he was cute before, but after talking to him last night and now, she was smitten. “Wow..umm..Okay. Joey, will go out with me to eat at Chino's?”


“I thought you'd never ask,” he told her, giving her a smile.

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2450