Running Alone by bellaresop
Summary: Melanie Chasez is starting her senior year of high school. Being in one of the richest families and being in the most popular click definitely suggests that she's got everything, but her life is far from perfect. She finds comfort and kinship in a fellow teacher. Will it lead to more? And what will happen when she goes through her darkest struggle yet?
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Chris Kirkpatrick, JC Chasez, Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Alternate Universe, Angst, Drama, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 10979 Read: 4211 Published: Jun 30, 2012 Updated: Dec 22, 2012
Story Notes:
This story will eventually deal with rape. And there is a bit of controversy seeing as it does deal with a student/teacher eventually getting together. Chris is 25 and Melanie is 17. All alternate universe.

1. Chapter 1 by bellaresop

2. Chapter 2 by bellaresop

3. Chapter 3 by bellaresop

4. Chapter 4 by bellaresop

5. Chapter 5 by bellaresop

6. Chapter 6 by bellaresop

Chapter 1 by bellaresop
Melanie Chasez groaned for what seemed like the hundredth time.

It was her first day of senior year and she could not find her last class of the day.

She really thought she'd covered this whole building during orientation back when she'd started freshman year.

Apparently not, She ruefully decided.

Melanie's apprehension grew when she saw the yellow color of the lockers.

"This is freshman wing!" Melanie whimpered, putting her head in her hands. "Not good, so not good..."

She looked over at the clock and felt her tension mount.

If she didn't get a move on and figure out where in the hell she was supposed to be pronto, she was gonna be late.

That word was so foreign to her.

Melanie Chasez was going to be late.

Melanie could not be late, that just was not an option. She'd never been late for a thing in her life, and she sure as shit wasn't going to start now.

She looked up at the clock and realized she may not have a choice in the matter.

She was gonna be late for class and get...detention.

She could feel her nerves build up as she thought about what her parents would say...what they would do...to her.

Life really was a bitch and than you died was all Melanie could think right at this very moment.

She looked at the clock hanging on the wall.

Two minutes left.

Maybe if she really hauled ass, she could get the hell off this wing.

Melanie took off and started racing down the halls again. She was half way to the yellow lockers when she felt herself slam into a solid form, the impact of the force crashing them both to the ground.

Melanie moaned at the pain she felt in her back as fell to the ground. She could've sworn it cracked.

Not wanting this stranger she'd crashed into to see her tears, she hid her face in the floor.

"Oh my God," An older man's voice said full of worry and sorrow. "Kid, are you okay?"

Melanie took in a deep breath as she struggled to stop her tears. She couldn't let this guy see her cry, she couldn't. "I'll live," She croaked out.

The guy gently smiled at her. "You've gotta be hurt, I saw how you fell, straight onto your back. I bet it hurts like hell." She felt him gently touch her shoulder. "Here, let me help you up. I'll take you the nurse's office."

At that statement, Melanie found the strength to make her tears stop. That could not happen. If she went to the nurse's office, they'd call her parents, and if they called her parents, her parents would come down here and if her parents came down here....

Melanie felt her head spin at those ideas. Oh, no, no, no. That just was not an option.

She lifted her head and any words that were going to come out of her mouth completely died when her eyes met his.

Right in front of her face was the most gorgeous guy she'd ever laid eyes upon before in her life.

Their eyes met and for a brief second she felt like he was looking right into her soul and she was looking right into his.

"Hey," The guy gently touched her face and it made her shiver. "you're not gonna pass out on me, are you?" He shook his head. "You know what, it's okay. I'll just carry you to the office and it'll be okay..."

Just like that, Melanie got her senses back. "No!" She quickly shouted. "I don't need to go see the nurse. I am fine, I promise."

He looked hesitant. "Are you sure? You took a pretty bad fall."

Melanie smiled at his obvious concern. Back in the fifth grade she'd broken her arm falling out of a tree and her dad couldn't even be bothered to go to the hospital with her. She didn't even know this guy and he seemed to care more than her dad did.

"I'm positive." Melanie assured him. "I'm sorry about knocking into you like that. Are you alright?"

He nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine." He looked into her eyes with a look she couldn't quite define. "You know, in the future you may not want to run so fast," His brow furrowed as she detected a hint of scolding in them. "Or at all."

"Right," Melanie quickly responded. "I shouldn't have ran into you at all, and I am so sorry about that. I never run like that usually, I promise."

Her eyes scanned over at the fallen papers out of a briefcase and she felt her heart stop.

A teacher.

She'd just ran into a fucking teacher.

Scratch that, she'd just been crushing on a teacher.

Just great, She thought worriedly. My first day was going fine and the last hour of the day, I’m gonna get detention for running in the halls and knocking a teacher down in the process. Just fucking great.

The older guy suddenly broke out into a laugh. "Relax kid, I'm just messing with you."

Melanie's eyes shot up. “Huh?” She already felt herself being so into him and the phrase ‘messing with you’ caused her mind to go places it really shouldn’t be going with a teacher.

He looked at her amused. “I was joking. You know? It’s that thing where someone says something and it’s like meant to be one of those things that makes the other person--”

“Right, right!” Melanie laughed nervously. “I get it. I get what joking means. I’m not retarded.”

He laughed along with her. “I’m sure you’re not. You do seem like you might be a little lost though, Miss…”

“Chasez.” Melanie supplied and didn't miss the look of recognition in the man's eyes. Sadly everyone in town knew of her family. “Melanie Chasez. Sorry, I seem to have forgotten my manners along with my common sense all of a sudden.”

He laughed again. “Hey, it’s fine. First days can be very rocky. Nice to meet you, Melanie. I am Chris Kirkpatrick, the kids call me Mr K though.”

Melanie was surprised. Teachers never introduced themselves to her by their full name. There was something so different about him. Almost like he could be the kind of guy she could talk to, even with him being a teacher and all.

Chris seemed to catch on to her surprise and he elaborated. “I like to try and get to know my students, so giving them my full name just seems to help ease things along.”

Melanie smiled. “What makes you think I’m one of your students?”

“Senior, right?” Chris said, pointing to her id pass.

Melanie lightly chuckled. “You caught me.”

Chris laughed also. “Well, seeing as with you being a senior and all….you have to take psychology in order to graduate…”

“So, you’re my psych teacher.” Melanie realized, her eyes held noticeable relief.

“You seem happy about that.” Chris noted. “Aw, were you worried you were gonna wind up with Mr Jazz?”

Melanie nodded. “Immensely.”

Chris laughed. “I would up stick for him, but he can be kind of a di--” He broke off as if he realized that he was talking to a student and not some girl he’d just met that was his own age. “Jerk. Big jerk.”

This time it was Melanie's turn to smile at him in amusement. “I think I’m gonna like you, Mr K.”

Chris smiled at her warmly. “I think I’m gonna like you too, Melanie.” He reached down and helped her gather her papers and books.

“Thank you,” Melanie smiled gratefully. “although, shouldn’t I be doing that? I mean, I did run into you. Still sorry about that.”

Chris looked up at her, his eyes suddenly serious. “Well, just don’t do it again. This is a school, not a playground.”

Melanie nodded, worry in her eyes. “I so will not, I promise. I was trying to find your class and not be late, but that’s no excuse. I shouldn’t have…”

"Melanie, Melanie!” Chris cut her off with a slight laugh. “I am messing with you!”

“Oh,” Melanie said and than gave a small smile. “You have to stop doing that to me. You’re like giving me two strokes in five minutes.”

“I’m that intimidating, huh?” Chris smirked.

Melanie rolled her eyes, feeling completely at ease with him now. “You’re a teacher. You could screw up my college plans, not to mention my record. Coming from two parents who expect nothing but perfection…”

“That’s just a parent’s right.” Chris smiled at her. “If they didn’t love you, they wouldn’t be on your case. Remember that."

“I wish they did,” Melanie muttered, sadness entering her eyes.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you. You okay?” Chris asked with concern.

Melanie quickly plastered on a fake smile. “Yeah, I’m fine.” A bell rings.

Chris laughed. “Well, I am totally late.”

“Me too,” Melanie sighed. “I was lost though, what’s your excuse?”

Chris appeared to look thoughtful before replying. “Injured by a student.”

Melanie laughed. “You’re funny.”

He shrugged. “Hey, I try.” He picked up his briefcase and stood up. “C’mon, I’ll show you to class. Unless, you were planning on skipping?”

Melanie smirked. “Oh my parents would just love that! On second thought, maybe I’ll do that. It’s always nice to freak them out.”

“You’re mean.” Chris noted with a hint of amusement.

Melanie rolled her eyes. “Oh, you don’t know my parents.”

Melanie stood up and she felt a shooting pain rip through her back. "Son of a bitch!" She slumped back to the ground and quickly covered her mouth. She really needed to quit while she was ahead with this guy.

Chris felt himself slightly chuckle at the look of mortification on the girl's face for swearing in front of him.

"Oh god. Please, don't give me a detention Mr Kirkpatrick." Melanie pleaded, tears nearly coming into her eyes and it made Chris's eyes soften. This poor girl was really afraid. "I wasn't expecting to feel such a sharp pain in my back like that, I'd never swear normally and..."

"Melanie, Melanie!" Chris knelt down to her level. "I am not going to give you a detention, okay? You're not even in my class yet and you didn't really do anything wrong. I get why you sweared." He gave her a small smile. "Take my hand, I'll help you walk to the nurse's office."

"No!" Melanie instantly responded. "I don't need to go, I'm fine."

Chris raised his eyebrow at her stubbornness. "Wow, you are really strong willed. Most girls would be happy to go to the nurse's station and get out of school an hour early."

"Yeah, well I'm not most girls, okay? I have no one to come get me anyway." Melanie told him. "My parents are really busy people and I have to keep moving. Life is hard and you can't just quit the moment things get rough."

Chris looked at her stunned. This girl couldn't be any older than seventeen, but he could've sworn he was talking to a twenty six year old. "I don't care how busy your parents are, Melanie....they're your parents. It's their job  to take care of you."

Yeah right, Melanie thought bitterly. They have never taken care of me. They may put a roof over my head and give me a five thousand dollar credit limit every month, but they haven't shown me love ever.

"I can take care of me, okay?" Melane responded. "I really need to finish this day. Don't make me go home, please."

Chris seemed to consider her for a moment before nodding his head. "I admire your strength, Melanie." Chris gently took her hand in his, helping her stand and watching her grimace. "I'm still taking you to the nurse's station. Make sure your back isn't fractured."

Melanie sighed. "Fine, okay. If you must. I don't want my parents bothered though, okay? They are busy people. They wouldn't be happy if you called them."

Chris helped Melanie walk down the hallway, his arm around her waist.

“They can’t be that bad,” Chris insisted.

“Tell ya what, you meet them and than we’ll talk.” Melanie retorted.
Chapter 2 by bellaresop
It was the morning of Senior Portraits day.

Melanie critically looked at herself in the mirror for the tenth time in an half hour.

She was wearing one of her fancier white summer dresses and her hair was left down.

She quickly checked her watch.

Crap.

She had about twenty minutes left before she had to be in first period.

Melanie sighed and quickly pulled her hair back into a simple ponytail.

That would have to do, she decided.

Melanie grabbed her bag and quickly strutted down the stairs.

"Melanie, is that what you're wearing to school today?"

Melanie sighed as she heard the obvious disdain in her mother's voice and turned around to face her.

"Yes, it is." Melanie answered briskly. "Why?"

Kate Chasez looked her daughter over critically. "I thought today was the day for senior portraits."

"It is." Melanie answered.

"That's what you're wearing?" Kate's voice was filled with disdain.

"I thought we covered this already, mother." Melanie replied. "Yes, this is what I'm wearing, yes it's senior portrait day. I have to go or I'm going to be late. Wouldn't you just hate that?"

"Go," Kate nodded, put off for the moment.

"Glad to have your permission," Melanie said with a roll of her eyes.

"Melanie, why do you insist on rebelling against me every chance you get?" Kate demanded.

"Why do you insist on showing your disappointment in me every chance you get?" Melanie shot back.

"I'll stop being disappointed in you when you stop giving me reasons to be disappointed." Kate responded back harshly.

Melanie could feel tears begin to sting her eyes and quickly pushed them back. She could show no weakness, that would only fuel her mother's disappointment in her. It was times like these that she desperately wished that JC were home, but he was off away in collage.

"Thanks for the love, mom." Melanie responded sarcastically before quickly fleeing out the door, slamming it behind her.

"What was that all about?" Sonny Chasez asked as he came from the kitchen, a cup of coffee in the hand.

"Oh, the usual." Kate replied. "I'm the bad guy as usual."

"But of course." Sonny smirked.

"Is it just too much to ask for our daughter show a little ambition? To take the proper steps into being the kind of daughter we raised?" Kate asked with a sigh.

The smirk fell from Sonny's face and it was replaced with disappointment. "I don't know, baby. Sometimes I think you didn't give birth to her at all."

***

Melanie practically sped to school and the car squeaked as it came to a stop, nearly hitting someone in her rage.

"Geez, Melanie what the hell!" Rebecca Webber  yelled in shock.

Melanie sighed, the state she was in she'd go off on Rebecca even when she was the one in the wrong.

"Sorry about that," Melanie said briskly as she got out of her car.

"Sorry?" Rebecca's eyes were still wide from the near death experience. "You nearly killed me!"

Melanie rolled her eyes. "Seriously, Becca stop being so over dramatic." She slung her bag over her shoulders. "If I wanted you dead, you'd be dead."

With that, Melanie took off leaving Rebecca to gaze after her friend in shock.

***

Melanie entered the school building and ran smack into Chris.

"Mr K," Melanie muttered, feeling all of her senses just fade away at the mere sight of him.

Chris steadied the girl who nearly crashed the both of them to the ground again. "Melanie," He said with a slight smirk. "I thought we talked about this."

Melanie nodded. "We did and you're just messing with me again, right?"

Chris smiled before shaking his head. "Actually not this time." The smile fell and it was replaced with slight worry. "I saw what happened in the parking lot."

The color drained from Melanie's face. "No one was hurt!" She blurted out in defense.

Chris shook his head and gave her a scolding look. "That's not the point, Melanie. You were speeding and you nearly hit Rebecca. It was reckless and you could've killed her."

Melanie turned away from him and put her face in her hands as she struggled to not lose it in front of him. Her morning had already been terrible and she didn't think she could take anymore criticism.

"Melanie," Chris wasn't trying to be cruel, but he needed her to get what she'd almost done and so far it just looked like she was trying to ignore him. "Listen, yo--"

Melanie spun around, her emotions on full force. "What?!" She shrieked, causing Chris's eyes to go wide. "What do you want from me, huh?! You wanna tell me how disappointed you are in me?! You wanna tell me what's wrong with my dress and how I just suck at everything I do?!"

"Melanie, please lower your voice.“ Chris advised, noticing the other kids starting to stare. “What’s going on?" He asked softly. "Why are you getting so upset here? I'm just talking to you. You're not in any trouble."

Melanie covered her face with her hands to try and stop the tears. "I don't know what to do anymore," She cried brokenly.

Chris looked around and with all the students crawling around, he didn't see this as the best place to have a discussion that he clearly needed to have with her.

Something else was clearly going on with this girl or else she wouldn't have gotten so upset. He had this need to council a student whenever they were in any type of distress and it wasn't just that, he thought to himself. He liked this girl for reasons that went far beyond anything that they should have.

"Okay," Chris spoke gently, placing his hand on her shoulder as if to calm her some. "C'mon, Melanie. Come with me."

The second bell rang and Melanie quickly wiped her tears. "I can't," She choked out. "I'm really sorry for going psycho on you but I have to get to class. I can't be late."

Chris knew he should probably let her go, but for reasons that were selfish he couldn't. He needed to know what was wrong with her.

"I'll write you a pass, okay?" Chris assured her. "C'mon, come with me for a few minutes."

Melanie nodded. "Okay, I'll come with you."

***

"So," Chris said leading Melanie into his empty classroom and shutting the door behind him. "have a seat."

Melanie walked over to one of the desks in the front row and sat down.

Chris walked around and sat on his desk in front of her. "Wanna tell me why you got upset back there?"

Melanie sighed a little embarrassed. "It's been a bad morning, Mr K." She began softly. "That's not an excuse for me to endanger other people with my driving, nor was it an excuse to completely lose it on you back there." She looked up at him with a tiny smile. "I'm sorry."

"Apology accepted." Chris nodded. "I'm sorry for whatever I said that upset you. I wasn't trying to make you feel bad about yourself."

Melanie nodded. "I know. You have to know that my outburst back there had nothing to do with you, okay? It's been an awful morning and what you saw and heard was the direct result of a bad fight with my mother."

Chris raised his eye brow in concern. "You're having problems at home?"

Melanie laughed. "I'm always having problems at home, Mr K." She quickly rushed to explain on when she noticed the frown and deep concern on her teacher's face. "No, no! It's nothing like that, I assure you. They don't beat me, I'm not in any danger."

Chris didn't appear to be convinced. "Listen, if something like that ever does happen, I don't want you to be afraid to tell so--"

"It won't and it never has!" Melanie said loudly, before calming down. "Listen, sadly there is no great bond between my parents and I but they have never laid a hand on me." Chris nodded, seeming to be convinced. "Not that they need to. Why beat me, when their words can do it for them?"

Chris looked concerned again. "They verbally abuse you?" That was a whole nother issue all together and in his book verbal abuse was just as bad if not worse than physical abuse.

Melanie sighed as she stood up. "Listen, there is nothing going on at home that I cannot handle, okay? Can this just be considered as like a teacher/student confidentiality thing?" She saw Chris's hesitancy. "Please," She begged. "I am not in danger and they do not hurt me. If you were to tell someone, you'd be the one that was hurting me."

That seemed to convince Chris, although he was still hesitant. "Okay, but I have to tell you if I ever see a mark on you or if I suspect that they are hurting you, I will have no choice but to tell someone. That's not just my job as your teacher, that's my job as your friend."

Melanie stood still, seeming to be in shock at that last statement. "We're friends?"

Chris smiled warmly. "I'd like to think so."

"Isn't there like some kind of rule on teachers and students being in a relationship? Even a friendship one?" Melanie asked curiously.

Chris got up and walked over to her. She felt her heart flutter in her throat.

"Don't tell anyone, but there are some rules I don't follow. And since we're friends now you can call me Chris, atleast when we're not in class." Chris said with a softness and Melanie could've sworn there was some kind of huskiness to it as well.

Melanie smiled as she felt something wonderful shift in what was becoming such a bad day for her. "Okay, Chris. Your secret is safe with me."

Chris smiled in return. "As are yours, Melanie." He than took a step back from her. "I'll go get that slip."

"But I didn't even tell you the whole story." Melanie said somewhat confused.

"I didn't need the whole story." Chris responded.

"You didn't?" Melanie asked.

Chris shook his head. "Don't get me wrong, you ever wanna talk I'm here, and I'd like to hear it sometime, but that's not why I insisted on bringing you back here for a few minutes."

"Than why did you?" Melanie asked curiously.

"I didn't want you to go to class until I was sure you were okay, and I...." Chris trailed off.

"You what?" Melanie asked, her curiosity peaking.

Chris seemed to contemplate telling her this. "Can you keep another secret?"

Melanie smiled as she nodded. "Of course. I can keep lots of secrets."

Chris grinned. "Okay, I..." His face turned slightly serious. "I wanted to make you smile."

Melanie looked stunned and Chris winked at her and turned around to get the slip.

Melanie felt herself almost slump into the seat of the desk.

This was definitely new and terrifying territory.

She was on the fast paced road of falling in love with her teacher, and from the way he was looking at her, she had a feeling that maybe just maybe he was on that road with her too.
Chapter 3 by bellaresop
"Hey, Melanie over here!"

Melanie turned around, she had her lunch tray in hand as she recognized the familiar voice of her best friend.

She walked over to her best friend, Britney Spear's table and almost wished she'd pretended she hadn't heard her when she saw the others she was greeted with.

"Hey, Brit!" Melanie forced herself to gush as if happy as could be. "What's up, everyone?"

"Actually, we wanted to ask you that, Mel." Britney replied.

Melanie took a seat and remained nonchalant. "What do you mean?"

"Well, Becca mentioned that you almost ran her over?" Britney gave her friend a pointed look.

Melanie inwardly grimaced. She should've realized Rebecca would spill that little tid bit. She was the gabbiest one in the whole bunch.

"Yeah," Melanie laughed nervously. "Sorry about that, Becca."

Rebecca shrugged. "It's cool. So, what was up with you disappearing with Mr K for a half hour?"

I knew I should've gone out for lunch, Melanie thought to herself. But no I decided to eat in the lunch room with the firing squad.

"He uh..." Melanie ran a hand through her hair. "He saw me nearly hit you and reprimanded me about it."

"Wow," Rebecca said surprised. "He always seemed to easy going."

Melanie shrugged. "Yeah, well all's not as it always seems. He's a jackass and a loser." She inwardly felt bad about badmouthing someone who had recently become a good friend to her, but she couldn't let them think she had anything going with Mr K.

Sure, they were all nice to her, but they could be lethal. She didn't want them getting the wrong impression or spreading false rumors around.

"I'm sure you told him who your parents are, right?" Britney spoke up. She saw something she couldn't quite place in her friend's eyes. This was all a front. Why, she could not figure out.

"I don't want any special treatment because my parents happen to own half this town," Melanie replied tensely.

"I don't get you, Melanie." Another girl from the table who was sitting next to Rebecca. "If I had your kind of power, I'd be using that right up. Why don't you?"

"I don't believe in abusing something just cause you have it," Melanie replied tersely. "I'll see you all later."

"Mel," Britney called confused. "You just sat down. We have like fourty minutes left."

"I think it's the lunch room or something guys," Melanie replied, the lie rolling right off her tongue. "I'm starting to feel stuffy."

"Do you want us to come with?" Britney asked concerned.

"Brit, she doesn't need you to hold her hand every five minutes," Rebecca teased.

Melanie forced a fake smile. "It's cool, Brit. I just need some air. See you all later,"

With that, Melanie took off out of the lunch room.

"You'd think she hates being around us or something," Alex spoke up.

Britney looked at the girl sitting next to Rebecca before nodding her head. "Yeah, that's exactly what you'd think..."

***

Melanie briskly walked from wing to wing until she was onto the junior wing.

"I don't know what's happening to me," Melanie whispered to herself. "I hate my friends..." She ran a hand through her hair as she shook her head. "No," She corrected herself firmly. "I hate who I become when I'm around my friends and that's just the simple truth."

Melanie sighed as she slid down the lockers to the ground.

It was like whenever she was around them, she felt like she had to tell them what they'd want to hear.

It was no new thing, she'd been doing it ever since middle school. So, what had changed? Why was this bothering her now?

Than, it suddenly hit Melanie like a ton of bricks.

It was Mr K...Chris...her teacher....it was him.

He was rapidly becoming one of her best friends and she cared about him. For the first time since becoming best friends with Britney, she cared about someone more than she cared about herself or her stupid social rep.

That's why lying about him in such a negative manner had bothered her so much that she'd high-tailed it away from all of her friends.

It had hurt her to lie about him and that was the honest truth.

"Britney, where do you think she went?"

Melanie inwardly grimaced as she recognized Rebecca's voice.

"God, can't I have like five minutes to myself?!" Melanie groaned. She quickly stood up and scampered off in the opposite direction.

Ten minutes later, Melanie was still dodging her friends and it looked to her like she'd wound up right where she'd started off at.

With a sigh, she leaned against the lockers.

"You can come in here if you want."

Melanie's head snapped up at the familiar voice, she looked over and saw Chris Kirkpatrick sitting at his desk with a bunch of papers.

Melanie slightly smiled as she walked over to his door. "And why on earth would I want to spend my remaining lunch time with you?"

"Hey, it's your choice." Chris shrugged. "Don't feel obligated or anything, but if you continue to run through the halls, another teacher might ask you to give up all of your lunch time and not be as nice as I'm being." He looked up at her with a slight smirk. "But, hey it's your choice."

Melanie walked into his classroom and sat at the desk right in front of his.

"Wise move," Chris acknowledged with a smile.

"Was I really running?" Melanie asked.

Chris smiled. "Actually more like sprinting, but that doesn't change the fact that you still aren't supposed to be playing musical chairs in the hallways while other classes are in progress."

Melanie nodded. "I know, I know. Not the brightest move on my part."

"So, why were you?" Chris asked.

"I really wasn't playing a game or trying to interrupt a class, I was just trying to get a little peace." Melanie admitted.

Chris furrowed his eyebrow in concern. "What's going on?"

Melanie sighed. "It's my friends....they can be a little too much at times. I needed some space from them."

"You're avoiding your friends?" Chris asked her confused.

Melanie nodded. "I love them, Mr K, do not misunderstand me, but...."

"But?" Chris encouraged.

"But sometimes I wanna push them off a cliff!" Melanie blurted and than let out a breath. She felt some kind of relief at saying that, finally she had one person in her life she could be honest with.

Chris looked at her stunned before letting out a slight laugh. "Um, I gotta be honest Melanie, you caught me off guard with that one..."

"Sorry," Melanie laughed. "That was a little over dramatic, but you have no idea what it's like not to be able to be real with anyone. It's exhausting and it even makes you feel like sometimes you're going just a little crazy."

"You can be real with me, Melanie." Chris told her seriously.

Melanie smiled softly. "Thanks and that means a lot to me. I'm so tired of pretending with them and I kind of felt like I just couldn't do it anymore today, so I dodged them."

"Do you wanna talk about why?" Chris asked, his eyes studying her gently.

"I, um..." Melanie sighed as she decided to just be honest and upfront with him. "I kind of owe you an apology."

"For what?" Chris asked her confused.

"At lunch, I was sitting with my friends and I said some bad things about you." Melanie admitted and rushed on as if to stop him from thinking the worst of her. "I didn't mean them though!" She ran a hand through her hair. "I didn't mean any of them. I just...God this is gonna sound so lame and superficial, but I only badmouthed you to my friends because I didn't want them to think there was something between us and start spreading false stuff around."

"What's superficial about that?" Chris asked her. "It sounds like your heart was in the right place."

Melanie sighed. "It was but it wasn't."

"Okay?" Chris was confused once again.

"Okay," Melanie placed her hands in front of her as she leaned forward. "this is the part where you're totally gonna think less of me..."

"I doubt it," Chris interrupted with a soft smile.

He was completely convinced that this girl was alot harder on herself than anyone else could ever be and he worried about what that kind of thing was doing to her self esteem.

Melanie paused and than looked up into his eyes. "Why?"

"Why do I doubt that I'll think less of you?" Chris asked.

"Why…all of it?" Melanie asked him. "From the first day that I carelessly knocked you over making the both of us late...you've never been anything but nice to me. Why? Why are you always so nice to me?"

Chris slightly frowned. What had happened to this beautiful girl to make her think so less of herself? The more he thought about it he realized it had to be a who. It was a question of, who had happened to her. "Why do you think I shouldn't I be?"

"Because...." Melanie sighed. "I'm a fake and a fraud. I'm not this great person that you think I am. You shouldn't want to be friends with me Mr..." She paused as she remembered that he told her she could call him Chris as long as class wasn't in progress. That made her feel worse. He truly thought of her as a friend. "Chris," She stressed. "You shouldn't want to be friends with me, you should want to get as far away from me as you can."

Chris looked at her sadly and his heart went out to her. "Why?"

"Because I'll just wind up disappointing you." Melanie admitted. "I disappoint everyone. All I am is a disappointment..."
Chapter 4 by bellaresop
“A disappointment?” Chris stood up and walked around his desk and took a seat in the one right beside Melanie’s. “Oh, Melanie. I’m sure that’s not true.” She was beautiful, warm and kind. He couldn't see how she could ever be a disappointment and it saddened him beyond words that she thought so little of herself.

“Oh, but it is.” Melanie chuckled bitterly. “Heard it my whole damn life.”

“Melanie,” Chris was at a loss of what to say to her, of how to help her. She seemed so cynical and underneath her tough façade, he could see an innocent broken hearted girl trying to deal with a lifetime of pain and abandonment.

“Well,” Melanie plastered on a fake smile. “Thank you for letting me hide out in here. This was a great talk, Mr K.”

Chris frowned. She was shutting him out and that worried him. She needed to let somebody in or the pain was gonna consume her. God help him, he desperately wanted to be that somebody. “It’s Chris, remember? We’re not in class right now.”

“No,” The fake smile on Melanies face was replaced by sadness. A sadness that broke Chris Kirkpatrick's heart. “we’re not. But uh…” She folded her hands in front of her which Chris could tell was a defensive stance, almost as if she was hesitant to tell him something. “Look, I don’t think this friends thing is such a great idea.”

“Why not?” Chris almost demanded.

Melanie ran a hand through her hair as she looked anywhere but into his eyes. “You’re my teacher. It’s just not a…”

“Don’t.” Chris cut her off sharply. “If you don’t want to tell me why, that’s fine. I won’t force you, but do not lie to me, Melanie.”

“Alright.” Melanie replied with a hard edge laced in her tone. “You want the truth? Here it is. You’ve been really nice to me from day one. You’ve listened to me and I appreciate it. I truly do.  I just…I honestly don’t have any room in my life for a new friend.”

“Oh.” Chris said softly.

“I’m sorry.” Melanie stood up, grabbed her bag and turned around to leave.

“Melanie, wait a second.” Chris stood up.

Melanie sighed. He really wasn’t making this easy for her. “Chris, please.”

“I never asked you to be my friend, you know.” Chris spoke softly behind her. “I never asked you to take on my problems, carry my burdens. I never asked you to do any of that and I wasn’t about to start now.”

Melanie slowly turned around, confusion written all over her face. “I’m sorry, I don’t understand. You don’t want to be friends?” Despite what she'd just said to him, him not wanting to be her friend hurt her way more than it should have.

Chris took a step closer to Melanie. “I want to be your friend, Melanie. I want to take on your problems and I want to carry your burdens.”

Melanies eyes were filled with unshed tears. “You…you…you want…” A tear rolled down her face and she quickly wiped it away. “You’re asking to be my real friend, but you’re not asking me to be yours?” Chris nodded. There was disbelief written in Melanie’s eyes. “Seriously?!”

“Yeah.” Chris breathed deeply. “Seriously. I wouldn’t lie to you, Melanie. I would never lie to you.”

“Why?” Melanie demanded. “Why would you? You must want something.” Her tone took on a desperate one as she couldn’t believe that someone could be so selfless for her. No one ever had before. “Everybody wants something.”

“Not me.” Chris said softly.

“Come on.” Melanie laughed bitterly. “You’re a guy, aren’t you?”

Chris's eyes met Melanie’s and read the insinuation in them. It shocked, saddened and disgusted him above all else. “I’m your teacher, Melanie. What you are suggesting is completely unethical not to mention wrong and depraved on so many levels.” He spat at her harshly.

“Wouldn’t be the first time.” Melanie muttered.

Chris’s eyes went wide and wave of intense anger washed over him. “Excuse me?!” He suddenly had the strongest urge to go find whoever had made her feel like she couldn't talk to someone without strings being attatched and beat the shit out of them.

“Nothing.” Melanie quickly shook her head. She’d opened herself up enough and was already regretting it. In her experience, you let someone in and it gave them license to shatter you. In her family, opening up, caring, shedding tears…they were all weaknesses. Melanie Chasez hated being weak.

Chris glared at her and Melanie sighed. “Okay, not nothing. I don’t feel like sharing though. That cool?” With a softer tone she added, "Maybe I'll tell you someday."

Chris nodded. “Fair enough.”

“So, if you don’t want anything from me than why are you offering to be my only real friend?” Melanie asked.

It saddened Chris that he would be her only real friend. She was too special not to be surrounded by a bunch of real friends. “You want the honest truth?”

“If you can bare it.” Melanie said, her tone hard and tough.

Chris smirked. She was definitely a far cry from being Pollyanna, but he honestly believed that she was worth it. She was worth the time and the trouble. She was special and he was determined to make her see that, to make her believe that. “The honest truth is that I care about you. I honestly like you and…and you need me.”

Melanie scoffed indignantly. “Please. I do not need anybody. I’m not some damsel in distress. “It’s a tough world, remember? And this life is no fairytale, the only one who is gonna take care of me is myself. ”

“That’s it!” Chris shouted excitedly as if he’d just won something.

Melanie frowned and looked at him as if he’d grown two heads. “What’s it?”

“That’s why you need me, Melanie Chasez.” Chris grinned. “You are a cynical, self deprecating girl with absolutely no belief in happy endings.”

Melanie glared at Chris. “You insult all your friends this way or am I just special?”

“You are.” Chris said seriously, the smirk gone from his face. He needed her to take this if nothing else he ever says to her seriously. “Special, that is. You are a very special girl.”

Melanie scoffed, that wasn't the first time somebody called her special but it was the first time she refused to believe the words. She was never going to be played a fool again by anyone . “Please.” She turned to walk away and Chris lightly grabbed her arm.

“That’s why you need me, Melanie.” Chris said gently, he brushed a few strands of her hair back. “You gotta let somebody in.”

Melanie swallowed roughly and turned around to meet his gentle and caring gaze. The caring, the gentleness, and the intensity in his eyes were all too much for her to take.

Melanie yanks her arm out of his grasp and turns around flees from the room.

She never once turned around.

Chris sighed deeply. And leaned back against his desk.

“I won’t give up on you, Melanie Chasez.” Chris softly spoke aloud. “You have to let somebody in, you just have to. I’ll be here when you’re ready.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Melanie ran straight into the women’s restroom.

She stopped in front of the mirror.

She was breathing heavily.

Tears were streaming down her face.

She was gasping…choking on the sobs that were rising in her throat.

He’d gotten to her.

Chris Kirkpatrick had really gotten to her and his words had terrified her.

“You gotta let somebody in.”

“Why?” She asked aloud despairingly. “Why in the hell should I let him or anyone else into my life, into my heart? Why? So they can shatter me even more than I already am?!”

Melanie shook her head and roughly wiped away her tears.

“No way in hell am I letting that happen.” Melanie firmly spoke aloud.

“Letting what happen?”

Melanie spun around, startled. “Britney.”

“Sweetie, what’s wrong?” Britney asked in a voice full of care and concern. “Me and the girls have been looking everywhere for you.” She looked over her friend’s fragile appearance. “You look a mess.”

“It’s nothing.” Melanie replied. “I’m just having a really bad day is all.”

“Well, what’s going on?” Britney pressed. "You know I'm here for you."

Melanie sighed as against her better judgment she began to spill what was troubling her to her friend. “It all started this morning. My mom was a total bitch and she totally criticized my appearance like she always seems to do. I wound up leaving completely pissed and upset.”

“Well, I’m sorry Sweetie but how long has your mom been a bitch for? Like forever, right? Isn’t it time you got over letting her upset you?” Britney pointed out.

Melanie blinked back the tears that were caused by her own best friend not getting her. “Yeah, right.” She answered weakly. “That wouldn’t have bothered me, but then there’s Mr K.”

“You’re still upset cause he yelled at you this morning?” There was criticism written in Britney’s eyes and Melanie regretted ever opening up to her. “Mel not to be a bitch because you know I love you, but when are you gonna stop being such a drama queen? I really believe that if you could just let the little stuff go, you could actually be happy.”

“Yeah,” Melanie wiped away a stray tear and plastered on her world famous fake smile. “you’re absolutely right, Brit. I need to stop being so ridiculous and I will.”

Melanie quickly hugged Britney and pulled back, rushing toward the door before she completely broke down.

“Mel?” Britney called out. “You’re okay now, right?”

Melanie turned around, the fake smile plastered across her features. “Never been better.”

Melanie leaves and Britney watches her go, still slightly worried but shrugs it off. She really didn’t have time for any mini dramas.
Chapter 5 by bellaresop
Author's Notes:
Once again, you guys are amazing with your reviews! So glad that to many of you are enjoying this, I am certainly enjoying writing it! I’m a little wary about this one. Not sure how you guys will react, but I appreciate all reviews and comments, so please read and review! J
Melanie took off down the hall.

She needed to see the one person who understood her, the one person she was scared to death of letting in and the one person she feared had already fought his way in.

Melanie stopped right in front of his classroom.

She hesitated a mid second before knocking lightly on his door.

“Come in.” She heard him call out.

Melanie opened his door, walked in, and gently shut it behind her.

“Melanie,” He said surprised. The smile instantly fell from his face and was replaced by worry when he saw her tear filled face. “What’s wrong?”

“I um…” Melanie swallowed roughly. “I have a free period.”

Chris’s frown deepened. That wasn’t an answer. “So do I.”

Suddenly Melanie launched herself into his arms and gripped him tightly, burying her face into his chest.

Chris’s arms instantly wrapped around her shaking form, but his expression was confused and still very concerned. “Melanie? What is it, Kiddo?”

“Don’t.” Melanie choked out as she cried stormily into his chest. “Please, don’t tell me that this is wrong or inappropriate or that I’m being a total drama queen or whatever.”

“Okay, okay.” Chris said soothingly as he held on to her a little bit tighter. If she needed to be held than that is exactly what he would do. "It's alright, Sweetheart."

“You said that I needed to let somebody in and as much I hate it, I think you’re it. So, can you…can you please just hold on to me and not let go?” Melanie hiccupped against him as she held on for dear life. “Can you please just not let go?” She whispered.

“Of course.” Chris said gently without hesitation. In the state that she was in, he would've promised her anything. He would've promised her anything in the entire world to make her pain stop. “I won’t let go of you Sweetheart, I promise.’

He wasn’t sure what had hurt her so bad to send her running to him for comfort, but he was thankful that she had to come to him. He was thankful she was opening up to him. He wanted to help her so badly. It was scaring him how much he cared for her. He was determined not to cross that line, he’d never cross that line. He was going to be her friend and if after graduation he still felt this strongly for her, than he’d tell her. He wasn’t going to take advantage of her, he’d never hurt her like that.

“I’m here, Melanie.” Chris gently whispered, his hand reaching up to gently hold her head. “Everything’s going to be alright. I’m here and I won’t let go of you.”

Melanie whimpered against him as her tiny fist clutched his shirt even tighter in her grip. “Thank you.” She weakly whispered.

Chris gently stroked her hair. “I won’t abandon you. Ever.” He fiercely promised her.

Melanie pulled back and looked at him aghast. What in the hell was he doing promising her that? “Don’t! You can’t…you can’t promise me that! What are you doing promising me something that you know you're gonna end up breaking?”

Chris gently brushed a strand of hair out of her eyes. “I can keep this promise.”

Melanie shook her head furiously. She was furious. She was furious at him for making her need him to the point where she’d run to him when she was this upset and she was furious at him for making fake shit promises that he was no doubt going to be taking back the minute she was no longer here. “You don’t know that! What about when I’m gone?! What about when I’m no longer your student, Chris?!” She shoved against his chest angrily. “What about when I’m no longer in this school or when it’s the weekend even?! You can’t--”

“I can!” Chris interrupted her, framing her face in his hands. He needed her to believe him. “I don’t make promises I can’t keep, Sweetheart. I can keep this promise. I am here, Melanie. Even if we’re not…even if I’m not here in this class room, I’m still here ya know?”

Melanie looked at him stunned and amazed. Tears streamed down her cheeks.

“I’m here.” Chris firmly repeated, still gently holding her face and wipes away her fallen tears. “I will never abandon you, Melanie. I am here.”

Melanie tearily smiled at him as she reached out and touched his face in awe. No one had ever looked at her this way before and made her promises with such raw honesty.

“You’re here.” A half laugh, half sob escaped her. All of this was still so unbelievable to her. If anyone were to ever ask Melanie Chasez years later, she would tell them that this right here, right now was the specific moment she fell for Chris Kirkpatrick and fell hard.  “No one’s ever…”

Suddenly Melanie crashes her lips to Chris’s, kissing him intensely and desperately.

Chris stiffens at first in both surprise and knowing that this was wrong no matter how right that it felt. His brain told him to push her away right now and stop this but the moment her tongue slides into his mouth, he instantly responds.

The attraction and the care he felt for her completely overrides his head. He grips her hips, pulling her closer to him. His hand reaches up and tangles in her hair.

He pulls her with him as he falls back into one of the chairs, his lips never leaving hers.

Melanie grinds herself against Chris’s growing hardness.

Chris groaned, as he gripped her body to his even tighter.

God, he wanted her. He wanted her now. He wanted to come inside her and feel her warm heat all around him.

His hand reached up inside her shirt, cupping her soft breasts in his hand.

“Chris,” Melanie moaned.

“God, Baby…” Chris looks up into her passion filled eyes and an intense wave of guilt comes over him.

What in the hell was he doing?!

His eyes scanned the atmosphere around them.

This was his classroom.

The same classroom that he taught in every single day and here he was about to fuck…no. He shook his head. He couldn’t associate that crude word with the intense feelings that he felt for Melanie. He was falling for her. He almost made love to her…

A student.

He wanted and he almost made love to a seventeen year old student right here in his class room and the worst part was, he wouldn’t have been able to regret it.

He didn’t regret it.

Chris looked back into Melanie’s desperate and unsure eyes as he realized that she must or would soon be having a wake up call herself about what almost transpired between them.

Christ, what am I doing?
  Chris thought to himself ashamed.

Melanie had come on to him clear as day the way she had kissed him, but he should have known better.

Melanie was young and vulnerable. She was a seventeen year old child for Christ’s sake. She’d come in here…she’d come to him distraught and in need of comfort. She needed a friend. She needed someone to hold on to her. She had not needed some perverted older guy taking complete advantage of her the way he’d just done.

For the millionth time he asked himself, What is wrong with me?! Just moments earlier I’d swore that I’d never do this and than I go and almost do it?!

He felt Melanie’s lips pressed against his neck and her hand was working the buttons on his shirt.

Chris had completely come back to his senses and was painfully aware of how wrong this was despite how good and how right that it felt. He gently pushed against her. “Melanie.” His voice was gentle yet urgent at the same time.

Melanie was so caught up in how much she wanted this man that his voice and his hands pushing against her weren’t registering. She placed her lips against his and she felt Chris seize her by the shoulders, completely pulling away from her lips. He forcefully held her a few inches away from him, so that there was actual space and actual distance between them.

“Mel, we have to stop. I’m so sorry, but we can’t do this, okay?” Chris was gentle and his eyes grew pained at the devastation he saw in her eyes.

“Oh God.” Melanie’s eyes were filled with horror as he immediately got up off of his lap and straightened her shirt.

What was wrong with her?! This guy was her teacher for crying out loud. He was just trying to be her friend, he’d probably felt sorry for her and she goes and takes that as an invitation to throw herself at him like some kind of whore? What must he think of her?

Melanie’s entire head was filled with self deprecating thoughts. Chris's reaction was like a slap in the face, but it was also the reality check that she’d needed. She needed to stop wanting him, stop letting him in. Now was the time to shut him out and shut him completely. He was never…there was no future for them.

“Ch--” Melanie breaks off, realizing she needed to set things back to their proper order. “Mr K…”

Chris shook his head, pained at the barriers that she was putting back up between them. She was letting him in and than he ruined it. Why did he let her kiss him? Why did he kiss her back? Why didn’t he push her away? What in the hell had he been thinking?  “Melanie, please. You don’t have to…”

“Yes, I do!” Melanie interrupted him strongly. “My God.” She shook her head, utterly disgusted and ashamed of herself…of her actions. “What you must think of me…”

“Melanie, no.” Chris said sharply. He refused to let her take any of the blame and put herself down. He was the adult here. He should’ve pushed her away. “This isn’t your fault. I don’t think less of you. I could never.”

Melanie looked at him in disbelief. “How could you not?!” She cried out. “I kissed you! I…I almost had sex with you! You! My teacher!” Melanie held her head in her hands. “If you hadn’t pushed me away…”

“I did though.” Chris pointed out. “ I did push you away and this…” He motioned between them. “what almost happened here isn’t all on you. I kissed you back. I pulled you on top of me…”

“I don’t need a replay!” Melanie shouted. “I was there!”

Chris sighed. “So was I. My point is I was here with you. I almost…I almost crossed a serious line and I am so sorry. It would’ve been the biggest mistake of my life to have---”

Melanie cut him off, unable to hear him tell her what a mistake she almost was to him. “You know what? We don’t have to rehash this or make a big deal.” She grabbed her things and headed for the door. “I won’t tell anyone. You don’t have to worry. I won’t let what almost happened between us ruin your life or your career.”

The last thing Chris wanted was for Melanie to leave here thinking that she was some kind of mistake to him. He’d wanted her, he’d wanted her badly. Making love to her wouldn’t have been the mistake. The mistake would’ve been taking advantage of her vulnerability and hurting her. He knew he should let her go, but his heart couldn’t bare the thought of her believing that he thought she was a mistake.

Chris battled between his heart and his head for a few moments. He saw her hand touch the door knob and he quickly rushed over to her. He couldn’t let her leave this way. His heart had won out.

Chris’s hand gently covered Melanie’s.

“Melanie, please wait.” Chris said gently. “That didn’t come out right. You would not have been the mistake, being with you would not have been the mistake. The mistake would have been hurting you.”

Melanie shook her head. “I almost ruined your career.”

“I don’t…I care about you, Melanie.” Chris said softly and truthfully. “I care about you.”

Melanie’s eyes were pained as she shook her head. “Chris, I’m not worth it.”

Melanie pulled her hand out of is caring grasp and ran from the room, her mouth covered with her hand as tears streamed down her face.
Chapter 6 by bellaresop
Author's Notes:
So sorry it's been forever!!! I've been editing and re-editing. I hope this chapter was worth the wait. I wanna keep on with this and I hope the readers are still with me. And please review!

Chapter 6




“Melanie, wait!” In a flash, Chris quickly caught up to her, grabbed her hand and slipped her a piece of paper.

“Wh--?” Melanie choked, tears were streaming down her face. She felt embarrassed to be caught crying, especially in his presence. Especially after what had almost happened.

“It’s my cell phone number, Melanie.” Chris said quietly. “I always have it on me and I’ll always answer. I meant what I said about wanting to be your friend, I do. I care for you so much and I know that something…[i]something[/i] other than what happened back there is hurting you. I want you to call me when you need to talk.”

Melanie stared at him stunned. No one had ever done that for her before. No one had ever cared. “I don…”

“It doesn’t matter how late it is or what time it is.” Chris continued. “Nothing even has to be wrong okay? You can call me anytime for anything.”

Melanie wiped away her tears. “Anything?”

“Anything.” Chris confirmed. “If you’re stuck some place you don’t wanna be or you need a way out…call me and I’ll come get you.”

Melanie took a step back in disbelief. “Mr K, this has to go way beyond…teachers [i]don’t[/i] do this type of thing. Teachers don’t give their students their cell phone number and pretty much offer themselves as a taxi service. Why are you doing this for me?”

“I told you, Melanie.” Chris said softly. “I care about you and this is what friends do. They look out for each other.” He sighs. “Look, I know that none of this is conventional. From a technical stand point, I should have let you go. I should’ve never told you to call me Chris, I should’ve never kissed you back and I shouldn’t be giving you my number, but I did and I am. I don’t regret any of what’s happened with you. My only regret is that I didn’t meet you sooner.”

Melanie chuckled and Chris noticed that it was a sad one.

“What is it, Melanie?”

“It’s just…are you for real?” Melanie asked, running a hand through her hair. “Seriously, are you for real cause the last time I checked knights and good guys died off a long time ago.”

“I’m no knight.” Chris replied with a shake of his head. “I’m just a man, Melanie. I’m just a man.”

“It’s nice of you all the same.” Melanie said. “I have to go.” She turned away and turned back around. “I um…I care too.” She looked up into his warm and caring eyes. “Way more than I should.” She turned back around and left.

Chris felt himself smile as he watched her walk away, her blonde hair bouncing against her shoulders.

[i]She cares about me too[/i], Chris thought and felt his heart flutter.

Flutter…

Chris’s smile dropped as he realized what was happening, what had already happened.

It was in this moment that he realized that he had fallen hard for Melanie Chasez.

Chris backed into his classroom, shutting the door and sliding down against it.

“Oh, shit.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Hey, Melanie!”

Melanie sat in the desk as she pulled out her history book. “Oh, hey Brit.” She forced a fake smile. She was still hurt from their last encounter.

Britney grinned back, completely oblivious. “So, me and the girls were talking….and you know what I think is the [i]perfect[/i] solution to your downness?”

Melanie sighed. [i]No[/i], she thought to herself slightly annoyed. [i]But I’m sure you’re gonna tell me[/i]. “What’s that, Brit?”

“A party!” Britney chirped full of bubbliness.

[i]Oh God[/i]. Melanie thought to herself semi horrified. She hated parties. It was just another function she had to fake more happiness at. She was so tired of pretending all the time to everybody that she was happy when in fact she was fucking miserable.

“No offense, Brit but I’m really not in the party mood…”

“You’re coming, Mel!” Britney stated authoratively . “Quit being such a stick in the mud. This is our senior year!” She grinned. “Senior! You know how long we’ve waited for this year, it’s the perfect time to have a party.”

Melanie ran a hand through her hair as she fought to search for some way to get out of this thing. “It’s like only our second week, Brit.”

Britney frowned. “So?”

“So, as [i]awesome[/i] as this party sounds….” Starr put all her enthusiasm into sounding like she cared. “Don’t you think it would be even more awesome if you had this at the end of this year?”

Britney appeared thoughtful and Starr had a smidge of hope that her friend was listening to her for once. “Oh my God, Melanie!” Britney had the hugest grin on her face and it terrified Melanie. Melanie knew that grin. What had she just put into her head? “You are like a genius!”

“Oh God,” Melanie muttered under her breath in disdain.

“We’ll have two parties!” Britney gushed. “We’ll have a party tomorrow night to celebrate how amazing this year is gonna be and on graduation we’ll have a graduation party! Oh my God, you so rock Mel!” Britney leaned across the isle to squeeze her friend tightly before letting go to pull her books out.

“Yay me.” Melanie muttered dryly.

Just then the teacher came in, and the class quieted down.

Melanie spent the rest of that class and the next for that matter wondering what in the hell she was gonna do now.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


It was about four thirty when Melanie pulled into the driveway of her mansion.

Melanie sat in her car for a few more moments, her head still spinning from her conversation with Britney.

“A party.” She spoke aloud. “I have to go to not one, but two fucking parties?!” She groaned and than her eyes lit up a bit as a thought struck her. “What are the odds she’ll believe I’m sick?”

Melanie shook her head, she’d figure something out. She always did.

She grabbed her bag and got out of the car, walking up the driveway and inside her house.

“Melanie!”

Melanie was taken aback by her parents cheeriness.
“Hello.”

“How was school?” Sonny asked.

Melanie dropped her bag in shock. “You never ask me that.” She narrowed her eyes suspiciously. “What do you want me to do?”

“Oh, Melanie must you always be so paranoid?” Kate asked in dismay.

Melanie shrugged, she’d never figure those two out. “Oh, well it was good. History was----”

“We just got off the phone with Britney’s mother.” Kate interrupted.

Melanie just smirked. Of course. She knew there was no way in hell they actually gave a damn about her day at school. They always wanted something from her. “Yeah, about that….I think I’m coming down with somet--”

“Melanie Chasez, you’re going to that party.” Sonny interrupted her firmly. “It’s time you do something for this family other than for yourself.”

Melanie just looked at them agape. When had she EVER done something for herself?! It was always ‘we need this, we need that.’ There was never any TIME for her to be selfish.

Sonny and Kate got up. “We have a ballet to go to. I do expect for you to go shopping tonight or tomorrow and get yourself something suitable.” Kate told her as she eyed her appearance critically. “You have a name to uphold.”

With that they left, shutting the door behind them.

Melanie picked up her bag and walked up the stairs, to her room. She shut the door and slung her bag on her chair.

“I’m so sick of living for everybody but myself!” Melanie shouted angrily.

She reached into her pocket and pulled out Chris’s cell phone number. He had told her she could call him for anything at anytime. She really did need someone to talk to.

[i]It wasn’t just that[/i], she thought to herself. She wanted to hear his voice, needed to hear his voice. It always brought a calmness to her.

She grabbed her cell phone and began to dial.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Chris Kirkpatrick had just gotten inside the door of his house, when he heard his cell going off.

He placed the groceries on the counter, as he grabbed his cell and noticed that it said “Chasez, Melanie”

He tried to ignore the small excitement he felt at the prospect of talking to her.

He pressed talk. “Hello?”

“Um, hey.” Melanie’s voice sounded slightly unsure. “It’s Melanie. You said that I could call you…”

“Of course.” Chris quickly said. “You can call me. Is….Is something wrong?”

“Kind of…sort of…” Chris could hear the trouble in Melanie’s voice.

“What’s going on?” Chris asked concerned.

“You’re not a teacher right now, right?” Melanie asked timidly. “I mean, anything that I say…you’re not gonna…”

“Anything that you choose to tell me, strictly stays between the two of us.” Chris assured her. “What’s wrong?”

“Everything.” Melanie admitted. “My friends and my parents they want me to do something. They want me to go to something, but I don’t wanna go, Chris. If I go, than I have to pretend I’m happy and I think you and I both know that I am [i]not[/i]…”

“Where do they want you to go?” Chris asked. “I mean, if you want to tell me. You don’t have to if…”

“No, it’s fine.” Melanie replied. “Britney is having this party…to celebrate senior year. I thought I’d talked her out of it,” She chuckled bitterly. “but what I wound up doing was giving her the astounding idea of having two f--” She broke off. “Sorry. Two parties.”

Chris laughed softly. “It’s alright. We’re not in class, you can speak freely.”

“Okay,” Melanie replied. “If I can speak freely, than I fucking hate this! My friends…my parents….they all want me to be something I’m not! And the worst part is…I don’t think they care! I know my parents don’t.”

“Melanie,” Chris had a very hard time believing that her parents were really as heartless as Melanie made them out to be. “of course your parents care. Did you try talking to them?”

“Yes!” Melanie shouted. “I tried and they told me that I needed to stop being selfish and think of the family. They said I have a name to uphold.”

Chris frowned. “Wow, that’s…I’m really sorry, Melanie. So, you have ‘those’ parents, huh?”

“What do you mean?” Melanie asked confused.

“I mean, you obviously…I mean, it sounds like you have socialite type parents. You know, the kind that care more about what people will think of them and their status, then they do….” Chris trailed off, not wanting to say it.

“It’s okay, Chris.” Melanie replied. “You can say it. They care more about their status than they do me. It’s cool.”

Chris frowned. “It’s not okay and how can you be cool with that? They’re your parents, Melanie. I don’t care that they were born with a silver spoon up their ass or not…it’s their job to take care of you, to put you first. And they are not.”

Melanie lightly chuckled at the silver spoon part, and than her tone came out in sadness. A sadness that broke his heart. “Chris…I made my peace with my parents not loving me a long time ago.”

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2420