Is She That Girl? by Lew
Summary: JC can't believe that Lisa has stopped all contact with him.  But when he is asked the question - why do you miss her?  He has to think about his response.  Does he miss her because she kept his life on track as his former assistant or is there another deeper reason, even JC is not aware of?
Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, General, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: Could She Be That Girl?
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 20734 Read: 22684 Published: Nov 05, 2011 Updated: Aug 12, 2012
Story Notes:
Thanks for reading!  Before you start this story, I highly recommend you start with "Assistant" and "I'm Not That Girl."  That way you'll be caught up with what is happening in the lives of JC and Lisa.  This, I think, will be the final story in the "Could She Be That Girl" series.  I hope you enjoy. 

1. Chapter 1 by Lew

2. Chapter 2 by Lew

3. Chapter 3 by Lew

4. Chapter 4 by Lew

5. Chapter 5 by Lew

6. Chapter 6 by Lew

7. Chapter 7 by Lew

8. Chapter 8 by Lew

9. Chapter 9 by Lew

10. Chapter 10 by Lew

11. Chapter 11 by Lew

12. Chapter 12 by Lew

13. Chapter 13 by Lew

14. Chapter 14 by Lew

15. Chapter 15 by Lew

Chapter 1 by Lew

“Why won’t she answer my calls?  Or my e-mails?”  JC plopped down in a chair at the Fatone’s table on their deck.  “Do you know she told me that this Kevin guy doesn’t want her to talk to me anymore?  That is not a healthy relationship.  No one should tell someone that they can or can’t talk to a person.”

Joey rolled his eyes and rubbed a hand over his chin, trying to be sympathetic but failing.  JC had been going on for days about not being able to get a hold of Lisa since she told him she couldn’t talk to him anymore.  Lisa had invented a “boyfriend” that was jealous as the reason that she could no longer talk to JC.  She decided that if she didn’t have contact with him every week, she might be able to rid herself of her feelings for him. 

Joey felt sorry for JC, but was getting tired of listening to him complain.  Checking once over his shoulder to see if Kelly was anywhere in sight, he made up his mind to shut JC up. 

“Look C… Kelly will kill me if I tell you this but I can’t stand to see you suffer, plus you’re driving me insane with all this talk.”  He spared another glance toward the house, failing to see Kelly making her way outside.  “Kevin doesn’t exist, Lisa made him up so she could get you to stop calling.”

Exhaling in disbelief, JC fell against the back of the chair as he tried to take in Joey’s words. 

“Joseph Anthony Fatone – WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?”  Kelly practically screamed in Joey’s ear causing him to jump up and spin around to face his fuming wife.

He stood there with a guilty look on his face.

JC couldn’t believe it, surely Lisa wouldn’t lie just to stop talking to him.  Why would she make this up?  Was he that bad of a person?  But then JC thought back to how he had treated her in the past.  Perhaps that had something to do with it. 

“Does this have anything to do with how I’ve treated her in the past?”  He spoke the question, interrupting the argument between the couple. 

Kelly glared at Joey until he answered.  “Um…I don’t know if that had any part in it at all.  Why is this bothering you so much anyway?  I know you’ve lost contact with other friends before.”

JC stumbled over his words as he tried to come up with a response.  “I – I just miss …”

“What exactly do you miss, JC?  Her organizational skills?  Her ability to take whatever crap you tossed at her and still work for you?  Her coffee fetching ability?”  Kelly asked sarcastically. 

JC was taken aback by the snideness in her tone, his mouth opened and closed with no words coming out. 

“Yeah, that’s what I thought.”  Kelly glared at JC.  “If you ever come up with the right answer to that question then maybe we can talk, until then you have to go home.  Joey and I are on our way out.  Goodbye JC.”  With a deliberate look at Joey, Kelly reentered the house, leaving the two men alone for the moment. 

JC looked at Joey for help, but Joey only shrugged.  He knew his wife and also knew if he said any more right now, he would be sleeping on the couch for some time.  Not even he knew the whole story, but what he did know, he wasn’t willing to risk telling JC versus Kelly’s wrath. 

“Sorry man, I’d better not say anymore.  Kelly and Lisa are tight and I don’t want to hurt my marriage over this.”  He lowered his voice and stepped closer to where JC was sitting.  “Look, just do what she said – go home and think about why you are so upset.  I can’t say any more than that.  I’ve gotta go.”  Just before he stepped into the house and closed the sliding door, he looked back.  “Good luck C.”  With that, he closed the door behind him and left JC sitting on the patio in the lingering sunlight.  Joey hoped JC came up with the right answer, if not everyone would be miserable. 

End Notes:
I know it was a short chapter, but I hope to have more up soon. 
Chapter 2 by Lew

JC punched in the alarm code for the Fatone’s house and he hurried through the house looking for Kelly.  He knew Joey wasn’t home; he was preparing for his new role on Broadway, the rest of his family would join him in New York shortly.  But for now, JC was on the hunt for Kelly.  He finally had the answer to her question after many sleepless nights. 

JC found Kelly and the girls in the kitchen fixing supper.  Kelly barely spared him a glance when he entered but the two girls ran over to give Uncle JC big hugs and kisses.  They clamored for his attention, but he was on a mission.  He picked up Kloey and held her on one hip while he placed his free arm around Briahna.  “I know why I miss her.”

Pausing in her chopping, Kelly instructed Briahna to take Kloey into the other room and watch tv for a while.  Briahna jumped at the chance and took the opportunity to escape from helping prepare supper. 

“So why do you miss her?”  And under her breath, “I can’t wait to hear this.” 

He took a deep breath and leaned on the counter across from her, pulling over a stool to sit and get off his shaky legs.  “I can’t believe it took you telling me to go home and think about why I miss her to come to a realization.  I haven’t slept much since you confronted me about what my feelings were.  It shouldn’t have come to that.”  He scrubbed a hand over his jaw uncomfortably.  Kelly still didn’t look at him.  “I miss – I miss her laugh, I miss her sense of humor, I miss how she took all my crap and still was there for me, I miss her being there everyday, I miss her helping me,”  JC held up a hand when it was clear that Kelly didn’t approve and was about to interrupt.  “I miss her smiling face, I miss her loving personality, I miss calling her just to hear her voice, I miss talking to her about nothing…I miss her…because I’m in love with her.”

Kelly dropped everything she held in her hands on the counter with a loud clatter and finally looked him straight in the eye.  “Are you saying that because that’s what you think I want to hear?”

“What?  NO!  I can’t win with you, can I?  What is it going to take to convince you to help me?”  Kelly picked up the knife again while JC spoke, but didn’t continue cutting up the tomato she had been slicing. 

“It’s going to take a lot more than just talk if you want my help.  Lisa is my best friend and you have hurt her so badly in the past.  I’m sick of standing by, watching, because then when you do something stupid, I’m the one who picks up the pieces when she shatters.  She loved working for you when she first came out, but she watched you date woman after woman so she started to distance herself from you.  Then for some reason  you started treating her horribly.  And still she put up with you, why I don’t know, but she stuck around taking care of you and taking all of the crap you shoved her way.”

Kelly had tears in her eyes as she went on, “Then she quits to get away from you, but you go and get in an accident which she feels responsible for.  She was the one who stayed by your side every minute of every day that you were in that coma.  And do you care – NO!  You throw a glass of grape juice on her.  I understand that you were hurt and upset, but there are plenty of other people that you can abuse, but you continually go back to hurt her.  When you got better and realized that maybe you weren’t treating her right, did you see what you had – no.  So you just go on living your life, not paying attention to the people you have around you.  I had convinced Lisa to stick around, but then she caught you kissing your therapist.  A woman who was so jealous she didn’t want you to be around Lisa.  So what does she do, she decides right then and there to move back home to get away from you and get on with her life.”

“Even then you couldn’t leave her alone.  Calling all the time.  She felt she had no choice other than to make up a boyfriend to get you to stop.  So when you come crying to me because you miss her, I’m not exactly jumping up and down to help you.  If you hurt her one more time…”  She started to violently slice the tomato as JC was without words. 

Several long minutes went by as JC tried to process what Kelly had confronted him with.  “Wow…I never realized…”

“I never should have said anything to you, she’ll never speak to me again if you finds out I told you anything.”  Kelly shook her head in disappointment at herself. 

“She will never find it out from me.”  He circled the counter to stand next to Kelly.  “Thank you for being such a good friend to her.  I was the biggest jerk on the face of the planet and am kicking myself every minute for letting her slip through my fingers.  She was so close and I never paid attention to what I had.  But I figure if she went through all that and still has feelings for me then we are meant to be.  I don’t want to waste any more time, I want her back in my life.  Will you help me?”

Kelly took the knife she was using and pointed it close to JC’s face.  He didn’t want to make any sudden moves.  “If – if I do this and help you and you hurt her in any way, there is no where on this earth that you can hide.  I will hunt you down and make you pay.”  Her voice lowered threateningly. 

Afraid to move, JC swallowed hard, his Adam’s apple bobbing.  “You help me and I swear to you I will never hurt her again.”  He spoke passionately from his heart, trying to plead with Kelly.  She searched his eyes for a moment trying to figure out if he was serious.  Deciding he was, her eyes softened slightly.  Taking the opportunity to save his neck, JC slowly backed away from the knife and went back to the safer side across from her. 

“What do you have in mind?  I’ll decide if I’ll help you after I hear what you want to do.”

“Well, I think I’ve come up with a perfect solution…”

***

“I don’t know Kelly, I’m really not in the mood.”  Lisa paced around her house as she talked to Kelly on the phone. 

“Come on Lisa, it’s Joey’s opening night on Broadway and you haven’t missed one yet.  The girls miss you and are looking forward to seeing their Aunt Lisa.  Please!”  Kelly pleaded.  “Just come for the weekend, fly in Friday afternoon and we’ll go to Joey’s show that night then spend Saturday doing whatever you want to do, maybe another show that night, then you can go home Sunday if you want to or stay longer it’s up to you.”

Lisa sighed as she considered the offer.  “And you are sure that he will not be there?”

“I can promise you that he will not be in attendance.” 

The phone line fell silent for a moment while Lisa weighed Kelly’s words.  She trusted Kelly and knew she would never do anything to hurt her.  If Kelly promised that JC wouldn’t be there, then JC wouldn’t be there, no matter what Joey and JC had cooked up. 

“Alright, but I’ll stay in a hotel.”  That way in case JC and Joey had planned something at the Fatone’s house, Lisa wouldn’t be there to see it. 

“Are you sure?  You can stay here, he’s not going to be around.”

“No, that’s alright.  That way if I have an early flight, I won’t disturb anyone.” 

“I’m so glad, I’ve missed you since you went back home.  I know you won’t come out this way, but maybe the girls and I can come visit you sometime soon.” 

“I would like that, it’s not the same talking on the phone.  I’d better get off though, I have to get my flights arranged.”  Lisa’s voice perked up at the thought of getting to see Kelly and talk face to face.

“I’ll make your hotel reservations, you know if I mention Joey’s name, you’ll get the best room available.” 

“Okay, thanks, I’ll talk to you later.”

“Bye.”

It was a good thing Lisa wasn’t around to see Kelly’s guilty expression as she looked over at JC, “It worked, she’s coming.”  JC jumped up and pumped a fist in the air.  “Just remember, you hurt her, I hurt you.”

“I won’t let her or you down,” he called as he headed out of the house to make his own arrangements and phone calls.  “She’s coming to New York, she’s coming to New York!”

End Notes:
I would have had this up sooner, but my computer ate it and I had to start over!  Let me know what you think....
Chapter 3 by Lew

“I’m here, just landed.”  Lisa talked to Kelly as she walked through the airport to find a taxi outside.

“Great, just come to the house, I’ve already checked you in your hotel and have your key so you don’t have to worry about checking in late after the show.”

Lisa thought that was a little odd, but then this was Kelly she was talking to.  She was sure that Kelly was only trying to make everything go smoothly so she didn’t argue or question. 

“Okay, I’ll be there shortly I hope - traffic doesn’t look good.”  Lisa looked over at the bumper to bumper traffic and changed her mind.  “Maybe I should just meet you at the theater.  I can but my bag in Joey’s dressing room, couldn’t I?”

Kelly hesitated.  “Are you sure you don’t want to come here and go together?”

“I don’t think we’ll make it in time if I come to the house.  I’ll just meet you at the theater, which means you had better get dressed and moving.  I’ll see you there, let me know when you get in the lobby.”

Hanging up, Kelly frantically dialed Joey’s cell phone, swearing when it went straight to voicemail.  She tried JC’s – same thing.  She flew through the house, calling out to the babysitter she was leaving and bidding the girls goodbye.  On her way to the theater, she repeatedly dialed both JC’s and Joey’s cell phones.  If she didn’t get a message to Joey or JC or beat Lisa to the theater, all the plans would go up in smoke and Lisa would never talk to her again. 

***

JC turned his cell phone back on so he could check his e-mail.  He was surprised when it rang immediately.  He was lounging around in Joey’s dressing room.  JC had never missed an opening night yet, normally he would sit with Kelly and Lisa, but tonight he would be sitting in a private box where Lisa couldn’t see him.  He would be hanging out backstage until he got the all clear from Kelly, letting him know they were seated and the coast was clear. 

“Hey Kelly, you can’t be seated yet, can you?” 

“You’ve got to get out of Joey’s dressing room, Lisa is on her way to put her luggage in there and if you don’t leave, it will all be ruined.”

“What, how close is she?”  All of a sudden, he heard her voice laughing with one of the security guards outside the door.  Joey heard it too and turned a frantic look toward JC. 

Without saying goodbye, he hung up and looked around the room for a hiding place.  It was too late to get out of the room and there was no closet, so JC opted for the only hiding place left. 

He dove behind the couch he had been sitting on, pulling his long legs in just as Lisa tapped on the door and opened it. 

“Hey Joey, the Broadway super star,” JC was eager to hear her voice so close. 

“Hey girl, long time no see, give me a hug.”  JC hoped Lisa didn’t notice that Joey’s voice was overly bright with just a twinge of nervousness.  He heard Lisa set her bag down on the floor before she hugged Joey.  “What are you doing here so early?  I thought you and Kelly were going to eat then come to the show.”

“Oh a change of plans, I decided that the traffic was too bad and we wouldn’t make it in time for the opening so I told her that I would beg you to allow me to keep my bag here during the show.”  She sat on the couch.  JC could see her shoes, she was so close!

The two chatted back and forth, while JC battled with himself not to reach out and touch her.  Just as he was cautiously moving his arm underneath the couch, he was startled by a loud crash. 

Kelly stormed in through the door, causing it to bounce against the wall.  She tried to catch her breath.  “I’ve been looking everywhere for you.” 

“I thought you were going to call me when you got here.” 

Just then, JC felt the phone in his pocket start to vibrate.  It was a loud sound and he quietly scrambled to press a button that would stop the noise. 

Lisa hushed the room, “Do you hear something?” 

Joey paused a second, realizing what was happening then spoke louder than before, coming over to pull Lisa up from the couch.  “Well, I think you ladies should go out and get your seats.  It’s going to be a great show.”

“But wait, is there something back behind the couch, I can hear something, did you drop your phone back there?”  She tried to go look, but Joey just kept babbling. 

“No, it’s just the crazy guy next door, he always has some gadget he’s playing with, no need to worry about it.  Enjoy the show!”

“Okay,” Lisa said doubtfully, but left with Kelly, “Break a leg!”

Joey shut the door behind them, then fell against it as JC made his way out from behind the couch.  “That was close man, what were you doing?  Trying to reach out and touch her?”

He plopped down on the couch in relief that he had avoided discovery.  “She was so close, I couldn’t help myself.  How does she look?”

Before Joey could answer, a knock came at the door telling Joey he was needed onstage.  Joey threw a look at JC of warning, “Don’t screw this up.  If you do, I’ll never be allowed to see you again, plus I’ll have to beat you up for Kelly.”

JC merely waved a hand in response as Joey left.  He laid back down on the couch, placing his hands behind his head and crossing his feet at the ankles.  A large smile crossed his face.  This time tomorrow night, he and Lisa would be an official couple.  At least that’s what he thought. 

End Notes:
I hope to have more up soon, the next chapter is all planned out in my mind...Review!
Chapter 4 by Lew
Author's Notes:
No copyright infringement is intended.  I do not own any of the public figures. 

JC spent the majority of the show looking down at Lisa.  It was amazing how he could have gone so long and never seen how the golden strands in her hair perfectly complemented the darker brown strands.  She had gotten her hair cut recently to shoulder length.  JC like the new style but missed the longer hair that used to be halfway down her back. 

He didn’t pay much attention to the action on the stage, instead spending his time running through his plans for the next night.  He hoped Joey wouldn’t ask for a review of his performance. 

When intermission came, JC didn’t dare leave his private box in case Lisa went to the lobby or the restroom and stumbled across him.  She stood and stretched at one point turning around and looking at the other people in the seats.  Without warning, her gaze moved up to the boxes where he was sitting.  JC took a hurried step back to get behind a curtain and out of sight, but he tripped. 

Arms flailing, he tried to catch himself, but instead caught the curtain as he fell.  The heavy curtain and the rod crashed to the ground on top of him. 

***

Kelly looked up when a crash was heard from the boxes.  Lisa had caught a flash of motion and was already looking that way.  She had seen arms whirling just before the curtain was ripped down. 

“What happened?”  Kelly asked, also standing and turning toward the activity.

“Somebody fell, I think, and pulled down the curtain and everything on top of them.  I hope they are all right.”

From Kelly’s position, she could see JC trying to fix the curtain and still stay out of sight of Lisa.  Kelly tried to get Lisa’s attention fixed elsewhere and was so grateful when the lights went down and the play started again, pulling Lisa’s attention away from JC’s box. 

That had been another close call. 

***

Lisa and Kelly spent the next day shopping with the girls before they had a picnic in Central Park and spent the rest of the day exploring the zoo and walkways in the park. 

“Oh, we had better get going if we want to grab a bite to eat before the show tonight.”

“What show?  I thought the play had the night off today for some reason.”  Lisa was puzzled, normally she only saw Joey’s show once. 

“Oh they do, Joey got tickets for the Matt Morrison concert tonight.”

“That guy from Glee?”  Kelly nodded at Lisa’s question.  “I don’t even watch Glee.”

“I don’t either, but Joey’s friends with him and wants to go support him.  It’s supposed to be an okay concert.”  Kelly’s tone was deceptively innocent. 

“Alright, but we’d better go someplace nice for supper tonight, I’m hungry.”

Kelly exhaled a deep sigh of relief once Lisa’s back was turned.  She had held up her end of the bargain, now it was all on JC. 

***

Following Joey and Kelly down the aisle, Lisa looked around at the small theater.  It was getting pretty crowded.

“After you Lisa,” Joey held out a hand to motion to Lisa to precede him in the row.  She walked to the end of the row and sat next to the wall.  They were in the second row.  Kelly followed her in then Joey. 

In short order, the lights went down and Matt Morrison came on stage.  Lisa thought his voice was nothing compared to JC’s, but he had talent.  She shifted in her seat, looking down at her program when she heard familiar notes start and her attention flew back to the stage. 

Matt was beginning “This I Promise You.”  It was a nice effort, but didn’t compare to how JC and the others sang it.  She was so focused on Matt that she was startled when screams rang out and JC emerged on the stage.  Her hand came up to cover her mouth in shock as she tried to remember to breathe.  So far, JC hadn’t looked over her way. 

She slid down in her seat, trying to avoid his notice as she looked for a way out.  “I thought you said he wouldn’t be here,” she mumbled to Kelly.

“I said he wouldn’t be in attendance, I never said he wouldn’t be performing…I’m sorry.” 

Lisa leaned down more and looked down the row, debating if she could somehow make her way to the aisle while escaping JC’s notice.  She dismissed Kelly, she could make it past Kelly, but Joey leaned forward and shook his head.  No escape or help there.  She wondered if she could make it across the seats in front of her.  Nope – he would see her for certain if she did that.  Now she knew why Joey had orchestrated the seating arrangements. 

With no way out, she repeated in her mind, It’s just one song, it’s just one song, it’s just one song.

She sat back and just listened to his amazing voice.  He had such talent.  She could handle this.  Lisa soaked in his presence, he looked tired.  As the song ended and Matt left him alone onstage, Lisa tucked her arm through Kelly’s and rested her head on Kelly’s shoulder.  Kelly placed hers on top of Lisa’s.  She knew what Lisa was going through and wanted to help her achieve happiness as best as she could. 

JC spoke for a few minutes before he started singing again.  The crowd started singing along with him.  He was doing what he loved to do.  He made it over to her side of the stage several times, looking straight at her. 

When the song was over, just as Matt was coming back out, JC began to speak again.  “I’m going to beg Matt for another favor...I want to sing one more song to you tonight.”  The crowd screamed in response and he waited until it was quiet again.  “You see, there is someone special in the audience tonight that was brought here under duress and I’m surprised she hasn’t figured out a way to crawl under the seats to get out of here once she saw me up on stage.  I’ve treated her horribly in the past and am trying to make it all up to her.  I know I don’t deserve her forgiveness, but I’m asking for another chance to renew our friendship.  I miss you.”  He looked straight at Lisa for a moment until the audience tried to figure out who he was talking to.

“She doesn’t think I know her favorite song, but this is dedicated to you.”  The music began softly at first as Lisa recognized the beginning of “Somewhere Out There.”  She never imagined that JC knew that was her favorite song.  Her hand covered her mouth as she bit her lip to try and stop the sudden tears that appeared.  She shook her head in amazement as he sang directly and only to her. 

SOMEWHERE OUT THERE (James Ingram and Linda Ronstadt)

Somewhere out there,
Beneath the pale blue night,
Someone's thinking of me,
And loving me tonight.
Somewhere out there,
Someone's saying a prayer,
Then we'll find one another,
In that big somewhere out there.

And even though I know how very far apart we are,
It helps to think we might be wishing
On the same bright star,
And when the night will start to sing
A lonesome lullaby,
It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the
Same big sky.

Somewhere out there,
If love can see us through,
Then, we'll be together,
Somewhere out there, out where dreams, come true.

And even though I know how very far apart we are,
It helps to think we might be wishing
On the same bright star,
And when the night will start to sing
A lonesome lullaby,
It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the
Same big sky.

Somewhere out there,
If love can see us through,
Then, we'll be together,
Somewhere out there, out where dreams, come true.

The words in the song were meant just for them.  But as the song finished, JC brought his hand to his heart then out to her, the audience burst into applause.  This was probably just another way to gain attention for himself.  There was no way he meant the words to the song. 

 

 

The video can be found here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46BpL55E1MA.

End Notes:
Woohoo!  3 chapters and 2 postings today.  Enjoy, it's getting good!
Chapter 5 by Lew

Nervously, JC paced the small confines of his dressing room, waiting impatiently for Matt to finish his show.  Lisa would be coming backstage shortly, and JC just knew that all would be forgiven and they would be a couple after he sang that song for her.  The song was the clincher.  Her face had said it all; the tears in her eyes, the look on her face, the way she leaned on Kelly.  All those things pointed toward a new and great relationship in his mind.

“How long is this show?”  JC mumbled to himself as the clock seemed to slow and even stop it was progressing so gradually.  JC paused for a moment to daydream.  Would she be reserved and wait for him to make a move?  Would she simply kiss him to show him how she felt?  Or would she jump into his arms so they tumbled onto the couch in a tangle of limbs and bodies pressed together?  JC adjusted his pants that were growing ever tighter.  He took a moment to appreciate the fantasy. 

Loud voices erupted in the hall, signaling that the show was finally over.  Should he sit or stand to greet her?  Sit, he decided.  Sitting was more relaxed and it gave him a more confident pose.  He smirked – if he were sitting, no tumbling was needed, she could just pounce.

A shadow of feet paused outside his door, Lisa was coming.  He lifted his leg so his ankle rested on his opposite knee and placed an arm on the back of the couch.  Wait, if his leg was crossed she couldn’t jump in his lap so he quickly placed his foot back on the floor. 

A soft tap was heard on the door…

***

Kelly drug Lisa through the hallways, Joey had made himself scarce, choosing to avoid the drama that was going to ensue, instead going to find Matt. 

“You have to Lisa, it’s the decent thing to do.  He sang that song just for you, you know what you have to do.”

“Why does this keep happening to me?  Just when I make any progress on getting him out of my head and heart, he does something like this to pull me back in.”  Just as Kelly reached out to tap on JC’s dressing room door, Lisa had another thought, “Kelly, you will NOT leave me alone with him, is that clear?”  She was just getting ready to force Kelly to look her in the eyes and promise when the door swung open.

JC looked between the two women, Lisa had her arm through Kelly’s and was holding on tightly.  “Ladies, please come in.”

When JC’s back was turned to close the door, Kelly shook her arm to try to loosen Lisa’s grip, but it was to no avail.  Lisa wasn’t letting go.  They both smiled at JC innocently when he turned around. 

“Would you like something to drink?  Water?”  As they both nodded, he crossed to the small refrigerator in the room and happened to glance in the mirror to see Kelly’s fancy footwork. 

Kelly grabbed Lisa’s hand in hers and twisted to spin in a circle to escape from Lisa’s hold.  Lisa squeaked in protest as JC watched in amazement.  Quickly grabbing 2 bottles of water, he turned back to the two women who acted as if nothing had happened.  Kelly immediately came forward and gave JC a long hug offering a whispered ‘good luck’ before pulling away. 

He handed her a bottle of water before lifting a bottle with an extended reach toward Lisa.  In order to except it, Lisa was forced to take several steps away from the door.  She smiled her thanks and opened her arms to give JC a hug.  Neither had said a word, yet. 

Kelly was inching her way slowly toward the door when her phone rang.  She grabbed it from her purse and clutched it like a lifeline.  

“Hello…oh, no…we’re on our way.”  She hung up and looked at the other two.  “I’m sorry, Kloey is sick and Joey and I need to get home.  JC, an amazing performance as usual.  I have to go find Joey.  I’ll talk to you guys later.”

“Kelly!”  Lisa hissed from JC’s side then sent an uncomfortable smile up at him. 

“JC, you’ll make sure Lisa gets back to her hotel, won’t you?  Love you both, bye.”  She left without another look at Lisa, afraid she would crumble and stay and then JC and Lisa would never get a chance to talk. 

Lisa looked longingly at the door as JC looked longingly at her.  “Kelly was right, you always do an amazing job, you have more talent in one finger than most people have in their whole bodies.”  She moved to sit on the couch and opened her bottle of water, drinking deeply. 

He cleared his throat as he remained standing.  This wasn’t going as he had imagined.  “Thank you, I was grateful that Matt asked me to sing with him.”

An uncomfortable silence descended as Lisa looked at anything but JC and JC couldn’t look away from Lisa. 

“So, you look good, are you feeling alright?”  Her gaze skimmed down his trim body, but lingered over the bugling muscles in his arms. 

“Yeah, I’m as good as new, you’d never believe that I had been in a coma and gone through months of therapy.”

She nodded. 

“How’s Kevin?”  A confused look crossed her face. 

“Who?”

He had her now.  “Your boyfriend?  Isn’t that his name?”

“Oh, yeah, he’s doing well.”  She averted her eyes and found something interesting to study on her shoes. 

His hand came up to rub over his mouth to hide his grin.  “That’s good, that’s good.”  He walked over and sat close to her on the couch.  “Lisa, listen, I -”

He stopped in midsentence when Lisa leapt to her feet.  “Well, it’s getting late and I’d better head back to the hotel.  An incredible job as always on the show tonight.  Thank you for the song.  That’s been my favorite forever.  I’ll never forget how you sang it.”  

“Wait -”  Lisa gave him a quick hard hug and when he tightened his arms around her, she wiggled and ducked to be released until he had no choice but to let her go for the moment. 

With her hand on the doorknob, JC scrambled to gather up his belongings before she could leave.  “Wait just a second, I’ll take you back to your hotel, I promised Kelly.”

“That’s okay, I know you have stuff to do here, I can make it back on my own.  Again, nice job.”  And she slid out the door. 

Walking quickly through the hall, she tried to keep her tears at bay until she was alone.  Hearing his footsteps behind her and him calling her name, she took the opportunity as she walked through a group of women who were apparently fans to stop him from following her.  “Ladies, JC Chasez is coming down this hall, if you want an autograph or picture, now is the time.” 

They all screamed and moved as one toward JC.  His eyes never looked away from her retreating form.  “This isn’t over, Lisa.”  He called out.

She merely lifted a hand in response and kept walking. 

Chapter 6 by Lew

Lisa walked the streets of New York for hours.  She knew it wasn’t the safest option, but she couldn’t help herself.  Finally making her way exhausted back to her hotel.  The lobby was deserted, with only one clerk on duty behind the desk. 

All she wanted to do now was fall into bed and sleep until she could forget all about JC.  Hopefully neither Kelly nor Joey had told JC where she was staying, and since he wasn’t waiting in the lobby, she assumed they had not shared the information. 

Kelly had booked an extremely nice suite for her use this weekend.  It had a large living space and two bedrooms along with a small kitchenette.  Tiredly, Lisa unlocked the door, not turning on any lights as she entered and walked over to the large window overlooking the skyline of New York.  Even in the middle of the night, the city glowed and people moved about. 

She shed the blouse she had worn to the concert and tossed it over her shoulder to the chair behind her.  As she stepped out of her shoes, she lost an inch of height.  Still looking out over the city, her hands went to the hem of the short-sleeved t-shirt she had worn under the blouse.  Lifting it, the shirt was halfway up her body when…

“Not that I wouldn’t enjoy the show, but I don’t think we are quite ready for that just yet, do you?”  A voice spoke from the darkness. 

Frightened, Lisa yanked the shirt back down as she twirled around and stumbled over her discarded shoes.  As she began to fall, she caught herself on the edge of the glass coffee table.  She hissed in a sharp breath as the corner stabbed her palm.    

“Whoa, are you alright?  I didn’t mean to scare you like that.”  A light quickly snapped on and JC came from his position from the chair in the corner of the room.  He knelt next to Lisa and grabbed her wrist. 

“What are you doing here?”  Lisa tightened her hand into a fist, but he tenderly pried her fingers open so he could see where the blood was coming from. 

“Come on, let’s get that cleaned up so it doesn’t get infected.”  He grasped her elbows and lifted her to her feet before leading her into the second bedroom.  “I needed to make sure you got back to the hotel alright, you’ve been gone for hours.  I was getting worried.”

She looked around and saw his suitcase lying on the bed open and a pair of his shoes strewn about.  Why was his stuff here?  He told her to sit on the edge of the tub.  She slowly sat as she pieced together the puzzle.  JC rummaged through his bathroom bag. 

“I’m going to hurt her, I’m seriously going to hurt her.”  Lisa whispered under her breath, it all made sense now.  “This was all a set up, wasn’t it?”  She laughed in anger and disbelief, no humor made itself known.  By this time, JC had found some antiseptic and a bandage in his case.  He put a large dollop of soap on a washcloth and ran the water until it was warm. 

“What are you talking about?”  He knelt in front of her not meeting her eyes as he pried open her fingers again to see the cut caused by the sharp edge of the coffee table.  Washing it, he patted her hand dry and placed antiseptic on it.  She tried jerking her hand away but he held it firmly in his and blew on her skin to help get rid of the stinging sensation.  Lisa’s breath caught in her throat at the feeling he caused.  Never letting go of her hand he tore open the band-aid with his teeth and covered the cut, pressing down so that the band-aid was sealed to her skin.    

“I’m never going to be free of you, am I?”  Her words were loud in the silence of the bathroom. 

JC paused as he cleaned up and turned away from her.  “Do you want to be?”  He couldn’t quite hide the hurt in his voice.

“I don’t know anymore JC…you confuse me…and make me feel things.”  It was as if she were in a dream world, not aware of what she was saying.  Their eyes connected and he could see the confusion in them. 

She shook her head and stood, “Thank you for fixing my hand, I’m going to bed.” 

She had almost made it across the living area to her bedroom door when JC called her name softly.  “Lisa?”

“Yeah?”  She answered just as quietly and half turned toward him.  Her body faced his completely as he took long strides to stand just inches in front of her. 

At this point, he had nothing to lose and everything to gain. 

“Jace…”  She began when she saw the look in his eyes, but no more words came. 

Seizing the opportunity, JC stepped forward with one motion, taking his right hand to the nape of her neck, fisting it in the silky straight strands of her hair; the other hand went to her waist to help hold her against him.  And his lips descended to hers. 

Her hands went automatically to his shoulders to push him away, but as his lips devoured hers, they fisted in the soft cotton of his t-shirt to keep him close.  She was flying, there was no other explanation for it.  When JC’s soft lips had first touched hers, she lost all contact with the earth.  He tasted of the Gatorade he always drank after a show with a hint of the peppermints he always kept in his pocket.  He drank of her lips as a man dying of thirst.  Never had she known such powerful feelings.  She thought she could be rid of him…not with this kiss…never again.  With this kiss, he would stay with her forever.  She could run from him, but now he would forever be in her heart. 

JC’s thoughts, if he had any at that moment, were along the same lines.  He would never let this woman go.  He had thought he had known what love was, but had had no idea until their lips met for the first time.  Her lips were soft from the strawberry lip balm she used and he was drunk from the vanilla cappuccino she had consumed earlier.  It was a heady combination and one he would never forget. 

Their lungs screaming for air, JC broke away from the kiss, gentling his lips as he withdrew.  He drew back far enough to look at her closed eyes.  He placed kiss on both eyes, then her nose before their lips met again. 

But JC knew he had to stop.  She was confused about her feelings and now he had all the time in the world to be with her.  Why he had wasted so many years when she was with him every minute of every day he would never know. 

He pulled away again and studied her true beauty.  Her lips were swollen and her eyes were now half-open, looking at him with such deep emotion he was shaken.  His hands left her body to lay on hers, which were still tightly holding onto his shirt.  He pried her hands loose, holding them in his when they were free.  He lowered them to her sides as he pressed one final kiss on her lips. 

“Sweet dreams, my Lisa.”  Almost painfully, he released her hands and stepped away.  Before shutting the door to his bedroom, he looked at her one last time.  She was still leaning against the wall where he had pressed her, looking up where his face had been with an indescribable look on her face. 

How had he ever missed this precious jewel he had abused for so long?

End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading and reviewing - keep it up!
Chapter 7 by Lew

Long, long minutes passed before somehow Lisa staggered to her bed.  Not even bothering to undress she threw herself on the bed and pulled the comforter over her, wrapping it tightly around her tingling body.  She was staggered from that kiss.  Now that JC was no longer pressing her against the wall with his body, she shivered from the cold.  His kiss had caused a fever to rush through her body.  She would never be the same again. 

But as the night passed, reality set back in and she began to think about how this trip to New York had been arranged.  It was all too convenient.  Her mind raced through how this situation had come about. 

Kelly had been very eager for Lisa to come to New York and not only insisted on making the hotel reservation, but also picking up the key.  Lisa sat straight up in the darkness of the bedroom, that was how JC had gained entry to her room.  JC had gotten Kelly on his side.  When Kelly had arranged for the room, she had gotten a second key for JC, knowing what was about to happen at the concert and thinking they would need a place to be alone. 

“I’m never speaking to her again, she knew how I felt and still helped the enemy.”  She began to pace the confines of her bedroom.  Now she was burning up from anger so she threw open the doors to the balcony to let in the cool night air. 

Kelly had been upset that Lisa headed straight to the theater to see Joey’s play and come to think of it, Joey had acted a little off as well…the noise behind the couch that night…JC had been behind the couch.  Lisa had always told him she knew exactly where he was because his phone vibrated so loudly.  She had been played for a fool.

The whole concert had been a setup; Joey and Kelly had forced her to sit there while JC performed.  They had left her alone with him in his dressing room, when she had specifically asked not be left alone with JC.  How could they? 

Lisa grabbed her phone off the charger and turned it on.  When she had been walking earlier, she had turned it off not wanting to talk to anyone; needing to be alone.  But now she was going to call Kelly and blister her ears, after that she was never speaking to her again.  Then she was marching into JC’s room and they would fight it out once and for all. 

But before she could dial, her own phone rang.  And that call changed everything.

***

Groggily, JC reached for his ringing phone with his eyes still closed.  It had taken him hours to calm down after kissing Lisa and he had just gotten to sleep. 

“Yeah?”  He growled. 

“I’m sorry to disturb you, Mr. Chasez.  This is Lyle from the front desk; you wanted to know if –” 

“Did she change her departure time?”  JC interrupted.  He had left strict instructions along with a hefty tip to be notified if Lisa changed the time for the hotel shuttle to take her to the airport.  He had hoped she would stick around and they could talk, but he had been afraid she would run. 

“Yes, sir, she would like to leave now.”

JC was struggling to make it into his clothes one handed.  He would have to forgo his shower, instead opting for a hat to cover his hair.  Today would be a grunge look.  “Stall her; I’ll be down in five minutes.”

“Yes, sir.”

Grabbing his keys and wallet, he shoved them in his pockets.  He left everything else behind.  Someone else could pack it and ship it to him.  It was too important to get to Lisa right now. 

Luckily, the elevator was just opening to let out a couple on his floor, he pushed his way between them and onto the car.  Jamming his thumb repeatedly into the lobby and door close buttons, he stepped back as the doors closed and waited. 

Finally reaching the lobby, he ran out of the elevator already scanning for Lisa.  Not seeing her, he began to head toward the entrance, perhaps she had already gotten in the shuttle.  But just as he reached the door, he heard his name.

“Mr. Chasez – sir, I’m sorry but she felt she couldn’t wait five minutes.  She jumped into a taxi.”  The man’s eyes were fearful when he saw the anger in JC’s. 

“Damn it.  Can the shuttle leave now and get me there as fast as possible?”

“Of course, sir, right this way.”  Lyle was relieved and he led JC outside to the waiting shuttle. 

“I wasn’t able to pack everything, so could someone -?”

“I’ll see to your packing personally, Mr. Chasez.”

JC threw him a grateful look as he hopped in the airport shuttle waiting just outside.  “I won’t forget this Lyle, thanks for your help.”

“Good luck, sir, I hope you catch her.”

The door shut before JC could answer, but he said the words aloud anyway, “I will, I have no intention of letting her get away.”

***

“You are a hard woman to keep track of, do you know that?”  JC had made his way through the crowd of people standing in line to board the plane to Columbus, Ohio so he could stand just behind Lisa. 

She didn’t even spare him a glance.  “Not now, JC.”  She spoke firmly. 

He leaned down to whisper in her ear, “Why do you insist on running from me?”  He inhaled the smell of her shampoo.  “Do I scare you?”  He paused for a moment to let someone pass by.  “Were you affected as much by that kiss as I was?”  He tilted his head, but couldn’t see her eyes since her hair was down, framing her face.  “I couldn’t sleep for hours last night…I kept thinking you were only a few steps away…If the kiss between us was that good, how much better will it be when I take you to my bed?” 

JC was surprised when she spun around and poked him hard in the chest causing him to take a step back.  “Why do I keep running from you?  Because you do and say those kinds of things.  Do you seriously think that just because you don’t have a girlfriend at the moment that I will just jump in bed with you?  That’s all that you think about – yourself.  I’ve known you for too many years now, so I know this ‘new JC’ is not going to last.  You’ll be back to your stubborn, insensitive self in no time.  I just wish for once, it wouldn’t be all about you.  Think about someone else for a change.”  She handed her boarding pass over to be scanned and entered the walkway to board as JC stood there in disbelief.    

Hearing the rumblings from the people in line behind him, wondering at what the hold up was, he handed over his own boarding pass and followed Lisa onto the plane.  By the time he entered the plane, Lisa had stowed her belongings and found her window seat.  She sat there with sunglasses on and her head leaning on the side of the plane.  She looked utterly dejected and so sad that it broke JC’s heart. 

As he didn’t have any bags to stow, he simply sat next to her for a moment not saying a word. 

“I’m sorry.”

“I’m sure,” she replied as she placed her ear buds in and turned on her iPod. 

They spent the flight not speaking, actually Lisa ignored him, and JC was trying to figure out to fix everything.  He had known he had hurt her, but in his past relationships all he had to do was apologize and maybe give the woman something shiny. 

That was obviously not going to work in this case with this woman.  The longer he sat there, the more his anger built.  How dare she be mad at him!  He had given her a wonderful surprise that everyone was talking about.  The song that he had sung for her was all over the Internet and everyone was wondering who the mysterious woman was.  Then they shared that amazing kiss.  There was no mistaking her response to it; it had left her as stunned as it had him.  And now she had the gall to run off and not tell him.  It was due to his own intelligence that he had planned what to do in case she had run. 

Which brought them to the plane descending to runway in Columbus.  Lisa jerked the ear buds out and put them in a pocket of the bag she pulled out from under the seat in front of her.    

“Are you going to talk to me now?”  JC asked as they taxied to the gate. 

“I’m not ignoring you JC; I just can’t deal with this now.”  Her leg bounced uncontrollably as she waited impatiently to exit. 

“Am I that bad of a person that you can’t wait to get away from me?  I thought we shared something last night.  Didn’t you?”  The rows in front of them had exited and it was now their turn.  But JC just sat still. 

“Are you going to move?” 

“Not until you answer my question.”

“Fine, have it your way.”  She hooked her bag on her shoulder and placed a knee in JC’s lap, one hand on the seat in front of him, and the other on his shoulder.  He lifted his hand to part to support her and partly to protect himself as she climbed over him.  Gaining the aisle, she clumsily tried to open the overhead bin and grab her suitcase. 

But JC reached over her head and tugged it out, as he did so she took off out the door of the plane.  He scurried to catch up with her.  After she left the secure area, she started running so JC picked up his pace.  She was almost frantic to get to her car and he wondered why. 

He caught up with her and the only reason he was able to get in the passenger seat was because she had unlocked all the doors of her car so she could toss the bag she carried in the backseat.  The bag JC held stayed on his lap as he had barely closed the door before she was backing out of the parking space. 

“Money,” she demanded. 

“What?”  JC was trying to get his seatbelt buckled. 

“I need money to get out of the garage.”

He reached in his pocket and grabbed a hundred dollar bill.  She ripped it out of his hands, threw it at the parking attendant, and told them to keep the change.  The gate was barely up when she sped through. 

“Do you want to tell me what’s going on?”  JC gasped as they barely missed hitting a car as she entered the freeway. 

“Why should I, it doesn’t directly affect you.  Therefore you don’t care.”  They sped through Columbus, weaving in and out of traffic.  JC was amazed that they hadn’t been pulled over yet the way Lisa was driving. 

Lisa’s phone rang as she quickly switched to the exit lane.  He grabbed it before she could.  He didn’t think she needed any more distractions. 

“Hello?”  He gasped out; they sped through a red stop light. 

“JC, where’s Lisa?  Is she alright?”  JC hardly paid attention to Kelly as he realized they were heading into the hospital parking lot. 

“What’s going on?”  JC asked Lisa, but she slammed on the brakes and threw the car in park, jumping out, and running toward the entrance. 

Finally, Kelly’s words penetrated and he swore, struggling to extract himself from the seatbelt.  “I’m an idiot.”

Not bothering to say anymore, he hung up and took off after Lisa.  “No wonder she hates me.”  He ran into the hospital mere steps behind Lisa, close enough to catch her as she fell. 

End Notes:
Sorry for the cliff hanger, but it's not what you think.  Don't forget to review!!
Chapter 8 by Lew

JC caught Lisa under her arms just before she hit her knees.  She had seen her mom standing in the lobby as she entered and the expression on her face had said it all. 

The phone call that had changed everything…it had been her mom saying that Lisa’s sister had been in a car accident and she needed to get back home as soon as possible.  JC, of course, hadn’t known that was the reason she had taken off.  Instead, he blamed her and got angry with her rather than showing her the love and support she had greatly needed.  The accident had brought back all sorts of bad memories of JC’s accident and she hadn’t known how to communicate that with him.    

JC hadn’t known anything was wrong until he answered the phone call from Kelly on Lisa’s cell phone.  Kelly was considered family as well and she had also been told about the accident, but Lisa hadn’t answered any of her calls and Kelly was concerned.    

Sobs erupted from Lisa’s body as she expressed her relief.  The look on her mom’s face was joy that her daughter was going to be all right.  JC swept her up into his arms then carried her as he would a child.  She desperately clung to him as she relived every second that JC had been hurt…when they hadn’t known if he would ever wake up again. 

He carried her to an empty, far corner of the lobby and carefully sat down with Lisa in his lap.  He nodded to Lisa’s mom, over her head, assuring her that he would stay with Lisa and everything would be all right. 

“Thank you, I’m going back upstairs since I’ve called everyone to tell them the good news, take care of her,” Lisa’s mom smoothed a hand over Lisa’s hair before heading to the elevator. 

JC rocked back and forth in a soothing motion and placed tender kisses on her hair.  It was a long while later before Lisa calmed down and began to speak. 

“I didn’t know if you were going to make it, I was so scared.  You are always so full of life but then you were just lying there so still and pale.  It was my fault you were in the accident.  I was the one who quit, if I hadn’t quit then I would have been with you and Nick would have been driving and you would have had your seatbelt on because I never let you get away without one.  I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean it.”  She rambled on over the sobs that caught in her throat. 

“Wait a second!  Is that what you really think, that the accident was your fault?”  He tried to look at her face but she kept it buried in his chest.  “You wouldn’t have been able to stop anything.  It was completely and totally my fault for not wearing a seatbelt and if you had been with me, there’s no guarantee that you wouldn’t have been hurt or even worse.  I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if anything had happened to you.  I need you in my life, Lisa.  You are so very important to me.  I’ve been such a big jerk in the past.”  He paused to reflect and they were both silent for a moment as Lisa tried to get a hold of herself. 

She acted as if she hadn’t heard a word he had said.  “I didn’t know what to do.  I thought you were just being a baby and didn’t want to get a shot.  I answered the phone that day because I was going to yell at you for calling and calling and calling and then it was the doctor on the phone telling me to come down and sign some paperwork.  That wasn’t you in the bed.  I almost passed out because I couldn’t believe that you were in that bed and I never told you how I felt.  You could’ve died and left me here in a world without you.  I can’t do this any more, Jace.  I can’t sit by while you go out with all those women.  I can’t talk to you everyday and see you on tv and in magazines and listen to you on the radio any more.  Because just when I think I’m over you, you come back into my life and it just makes it that much harder when you leave me.  And you always leave.” 

JC realized right then that she wasn’t aware of what she was saying and wouldn’t comprehend anything that he would tell her at that point.  He just wrapped her tighter in his arms and pressed her closer to his heart. 

It was at that moment that he realized just how deeply he had hurt her. 

Never again.  He told himself.  Never again will I hurt her, I’ll spend the rest of my life trying to make it up to her.  He promised himself and Lisa. 

JC had a long while to think while he sat in the lobby of the hospital with Lisa on his lap.  She fell into an exhausted sleep filled with shudders running through her body and still he held her close to him.  Lisa’s mom eventually came back down to the lobby to see what was keeping them. 

After seeing the raw emotion on JC’s face and the evidence of tears on Lisa’s, she sent them both home to Lisa’s house.  Lisa’s sister was doing well and would be released soon.  Her mom opened the car door for JC to place Lisa gently on the seat.  She still didn’t awaken.  Her head lolled as he reached across to buckle her in and once JC was in the drivers seat, he brought Lisa’s head over to rest on his shoulder.  She sighed as she relaxed against him. 

She woke up when JC pulled into her driveway.  Sleepily, she tried to figure out what was happening. 

She scrubbed her hands over her face and looked at JC.  “I just had the strangest dream.  I feel like I blacked out for a minute.  I don’ t even remember seeing my sister, did I see her?”

JC opened the car door and got out as he tried to skillfully avoid the question.  Clearly, she didn’t remember telling him all those things.  “Um…she’s doing fine, should be released tomorrow.”

Lisa dug through her purse searching through her keys, still trying to grasp a memory from the past several hours.  “This has been a crazy weekend, huh?  Do you wanna crash here for the night?”  She took a moment to see that JC was carrying only her luggage and nothing of his.  “Where’s your luggage?”

Someone took off so early this morning that I didn’t have a chance to pack so I’m going to have the hotel pack it and overnight it to me.”  He walked through the door she held open for him and flipped on a light with his elbow. 

“Why did you come anyway?  And now that I think about it, we are going to talk about this whole setup from this weekend.  You and Kelly are not going to get away with this.”

There was silence from her bedroom where he had gone in to leave her bag.  “So is the guest room bed made or do I need to grab some sheets?”  He looked everywhere but at Lisa.  “I think that I left some clothes here the last time I was here, didn’t I?”

“Jace…”  Her voice lowered.

“Tomorrow Lisa, it’s been a long day.  We’ll talk tomorrow.”

Drawn to her, he stopped inches away.  Her eyes turned wary, remembering their parting from the night before.  But he caught a hint of longing there as well.  Just a brief kiss, he told himself. 

But that was before their lips met. 

There wasn’t much space in the hallway to escape his overwhelming presence.  Lisa’s heart was at war with her head.  Her heart was lost in the irresistible taste and feel of his lips against hers.  Her head was screaming that he would only hurt her again.  But soon the loud pounding of her heartbeat overpowered her head and she was flying again. 

This time her arms crept around his waist, molding to his strong back, burning from the heat of his skin through the fabric of his shirt.  Her hands traveled over his back, feeling the muscles flex as his own hands moved from her waist up her back to cup her face. 

The emotions became too much and she tore her lips away from his, burying her face in his chest.  The shirt under her cheek was still slightly damp from her crying jag earlier and with that, all the memories came back.  Lisa wasn’t sure what she had told JC, but knew it couldn’t have been good. 

With a tortured moan, she ripped herself out of his arms and flew into her bedroom without a backward glance, slamming and locking the door behind her. 

JC stood there, alone, with his chest heaving trying to suck oxygen back into his lungs.  His arms ached from the loss of her soft body against his.  Angry with himself for not being able to control his feelings, he punched the wall in front of him before making his way to the guest room. 

Tomorrow would be the real test. 

End Notes:
Let me know what you think!  Thanks for reading!!
Chapter 9 by Lew
Author's Notes:
This chapter is heavy on the dialogue, but some things are explained.  Don't forget to review! 

It was a short night for both of them.  JC rolled out of bed and dressed slowly, it was early yet.  He passed by Lisa’s closed bedroom door touching it lightly with his fingers on his way to the kitchen.  As he made his way to start a pot of coffee, a note caught his eye.  Spinning it around to face him, he read it with hope growing. 

JC,

We need to talk. 
Come find me. 
You know where I’ll be.
It’s time. 

Lisa

He took a moment to brew a quick cup of coffee for himself and make a cappuccino for Lisa.  Slipping his shoes on, he tugged on a jacket before grabbing the coffee cups and heading outside. 

There was a small pond behind Lisa’s house where several ducks spent their days swimming.  He knew Lisa would be curled up in a chair tossing breadcrumbs to them.  He crested the hill and saw her just as he had pictured.  She was curled up in one of the two Adirondack chairs on the bank of the pond.  There was a blanket tucked tightly around her body to ward off the morning chill.  Her head was tipped back to soak up the early morning rays, an empty bread bag was on the ground beside her, giving testament to the feeding of the ducks. 

She must have sensed his presence since he didn’t scare her when he settled into the chair next to hers.  He handed her the cappuccino and she smiled her thanks, warming her hands as she inhaled the fragrance. 

“Morning,” he said as he took a sip of the dark brew. 

“Morning,” she replied blowing on hers to cool it down. 

JC watched her out of the corner of his eye as she observed the ducks wash themselves, hoping for another crumb of food. 

“What game are you playing, JC?”  She finally took the first sip of her drink. 

“I’m not playing any game.” 

“Then what’s happening between us?”  He turned to look at her, but she never took her gaze from the view in front of them. 

He let out a shaky breath before responding.  “I have two conditions as we get into this.”

Her head rolled on the back of the chair to look at him.  “What are they?”

“Complete honesty from this moment forward.  There can be no doubt in either of our minds that the other is not telling the truth.”

“And the other?”  She prompted when he paused to take a sip.

“No more running.  For either of us.”

She bit her lip as she considered his words and the truth in his eyes.  Nodding once, “Okay – complete honesty and no running.”

“From this moment forward.”

“From this moment forward.”  She agreed. 

They both waited for the other to speak.  “Why did you change JC?”  She looked off in the distance not seeing anything in front of her as she waited for JC to speak.

He knew she wasn’t talking about lately.  Her question went back months before she quit.  He took a long drink of his coffee, welcoming the chance to gather his thoughts before he began the most honest conversation of his life. 

“I think I’d better start with the breakup, you remember?”  He saw her nodding her head out of the corner of his eye.  “Well, when we broke up, it hit me pretty hard.  Oh, not the way you’re thinking.  I didn’t love her, I didn’t even know what love was until I lost you.”  He noticed her look at him in shock but he continued.  “Most days I didn’t even like her.  She was just available and something in me said I should try to make the relationship work.  But when we broke up, I saw that as yet another failure in my life.”

“What do you mean another failure?  Jace, you’ve never failed at anything in your life.”

Scoffing, he dismissed her words.  “Oh really, then why isn’t the group still together?  Not to mention my solo album, all my relationships, my unreleased second album…”

Lisa reached out and grasped his hand.  His tightened almost painfully on hers as he looked over the water.  “First of all, the group is not together because you all wanted to try something new and expand your wings.  If you ever decided to get back together, I know, and I mean I am 100% positive that if the five of you made another album it would go to number 1.  Secondly, your album was amazing, just a little mature for the fans that you had at the time.  Your second album would blow them away.  Do you realize how many people out there follow your every move?  I was online the other day and just typed in something for fun and thousands of sites came up dedicated to you – pictures, blogs, fan fiction, and so many of them are pleading with you to release your solo album or get the group back together.  And as for your relationships – you just keep choosing women that are with you for all the wrong reasons.  I don’t know why you couldn’t see it.”

He squeezed her hand, thanking her for her words and when it appeared he had finished, she asked another question.  “So how does that fit in?”

Sighing, he leaned his head back and sipped his coffee.  “This is where it gets hard.”  He took a deep breath of the fresh morning air.  “At that point, after we broke up, I started looking around and everyone had it together but me.  Justin’s career…Joey’s family…you.  I looked at you and you were always on top of things.  You knew where I was supposed to be every minute of the day, you were so confident, and your life was going so well.”

“Jace, I was your assistant, you paid me to know where you were supposed to be every minute of the day.”

“I know – I know.  I just – complete honesty.”  She nodded for him to continue.  “It made me mad, I guess, that nothing ever fazed you.  I could demand the most outrageous things and you would find a way to get them.  So, I lost sight of our friendship and tried to find a way for you to come off that pedestal you were on.”

“I knew I was being unreasonable, but I couldn’t stop myself.  It became a habit.  Then you quit and I was furious…You had found a way to live your life and you didn’t need me in it like I needed you in mine.”

“Jace – that’s – ”   

He silenced her with a shake on his head, “Let me finish.  I wanted you back.  You were the one that kept me on track and I resented that you were going to be successful at leaving me behind.  So I called and called and the more that you ignored me, the madder I got.  Then the accident happened.  I don’t really remember what happened that day, a lot of pain, but other than that…then I woke up.”  He finally looked at her, holding her eyes with his.  “I couldn’t believe it – that you were sitting there next to my bed.  You were the first thing I saw when I woke up and I thought it was all a dream.  But then reality set in, I could barely care for myself and there you were, every minute, stepping in and seeing to all my needs.  But that wasn’t what I wanted from you.  I didn’t want you to see me as an invalid, I wanted things back to the way they were when we were friends.”

Lisa chewed on her bottom lip as she considered all that JC said, she had no idea that he had resented her.  “I’m sorry, I didn’t know.”

“You have nothing to be sorry about, you did nothing wrong while I constantly screwed up.  The grape juice incident – that woke me up a little bit.  Not when I dumped it on you, but when you came back into the room that night and said that behavior was what you expected from me.”

Her cheeks reddened uncomfortably, “You heard that?”

“Yeah, and can I just say that I am so sorry for how I’ve treated you in the past.”

She waved it off with the hand holding her cup and cappuccino sloshed on the blanket.  “I’m such a mess.”  She pulled her hand out of his and rolled the blanket up to toss it on the ground next to her, placing the cup next to it. 

“Did you burn yourself?”  JC asked leaning forward to get up and check. 

“No, it just got on the blanket, it’s fine, at least it’s washable.”  He relaxed back in the chair once more and Lisa shifted a little to face him more directly.  

“So let’s talk about New York.”  She watched as a slight blush tinged his face.

“What about New York?”

“Well, let me tell you what I think happened then you can fill in the blanks.”  She watched as he nodded.  “Okay, somehow you convinced Kelly to help you, how I’m not sure yet, however she and I will have a loooong conversation about that.  Anyway, you get her on your side, she convinces me to come to New York where you just happen to have a show the same time Joey is on Broadway. She checks me in to the hotel so she can get an extra key for you and I suspect I ruined some plans when I went straight to the theater that night instead of their house.  Where were you that night?”  She asked thinking she already knew the answer.

He mumbled behind his cup, “Behind the couch.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you.  Could you repeat that, please?”  A large grin threatened to break through. 

“I was behind the couch, are you happy?  You showed up and there was no where to go except behind the couch.  If you had seen me that night, it would have ruined all my plans.”

“And did you panic when your phone started ringing?”  She couldn’t contain her laughter at his surprised look. 

“How did you know –”

“I didn’t, at least not then.  I thought about it all later and wondered if it was you, after I thought about how weird everyone was acting and wanting to get me out of there.  But you stayed hidden and Kelly and I went to the show.  Were you also the one in the balcony who fell?”  She asked following her hunch.

“Jeez – how –”  He stumbled over his words. 

“I didn’t know until just now.”  Clapping her hands, she celebrated her discovery.  She had never seen him look so embarrassed.

Pushing on, she continued, “But then, there was the show where you came on stage.  You pegged me perfectly.  I was trying anything to get out of the theater, but Joey wouldn’t let me pass and I knew that if I climbed over the seats in front of me those people wouldn’t be very happy and I would draw attention to myself.  You picked the seat very well to keep me there.  I was absolutely floored – I had no idea you were going to be singing.  And then that song…I love that song.”

“I know.”  Confident now, he flashed his classic smile and lifted his ankle to place on his opposite knee.  “I knew I would get to you with that song, but I pictured it a little differently.  At that point I thought you would jump into my arms, but you didn’t even want to be there and see me, did you?”

All laughter aside, Lisa stretched both arms over her head, before bringing them back down to cover her eyes.  “No, I didn’t.”

“Why?”

Placing her feet on the ground, she put her elbows on her knees and her face in her hands, scrubbing her face as if she could scrub away this conversation.  “I don’t want to be hurt again, I’m not sure I can pick up the pieces if they crack one more time.”

JC cleared his throat.  “Lisa, I can’t promise that I won’t hurt you again, I’m only human, but I’m going to do my best to be the man that you deserve because I can’t imagine my life without you.  Will you give me one more shot and trust me?  Please?”

She stood and walked to the edge of the bank, crossing her arms against the chill.  JC moved behind her, standing just inches away.  She could feel his body warmth.  He lifted the hair off her neck, moving it to one side as he leaned down and inhaled her scent. 

“Please – just one more chance?”  His breath stirred the tendrils of the hair floating around her ear.  She shivered in response.  His hands found her shoulders and rubbed them as he followed them down to her hands.  He tucked them in his large warm ones and stepped forward so he was pressed against her back. 

“Jace – ”

“I’m not perfect Lisa, but I’ve never pretended to be.”

“I don’t want perfect, Jace.  I just want you.”  She turned in his arms to look into his eyes. 

“And I just want you.”  Their lips met and Lisa was sure she would never get used to this feeling.  She rested her weight on him as she lost herself in the feelings he evoked.  He was smiling as he broke the kiss.  He began to step backward drawing her with him to the chairs behind them when his foot tangled in the blanket she had discarded earlier.  He lost his balance and tumbled backward.  Unable to break his fall as his hands were linked with Lisa’s, he pulled her down with him. 

When she landed on his chest, it knocked the wind out of him for a moment as Lisa buried her laughter in his chest.  “You seem to have trouble staying on your feet lately.”

“Only around you, I’m afraid.”  Groaning, he released her hands and wrapped his arms tightly around her back, holding her to him.  “I used to be so graceful.”

“Yeah, well, you used to be smooth too, and let me tell you that wasn’t smooth at all.”

“I’ve missed you, Lisa.”  He said softly after his laughter died away.  “Forgive me?”

“I’ll consider it,” she said as she pressed a quick kiss on his cheek.  “But first I need you to tell me all about Kelly’s part in this whole elaborate plan.”

“You’re just trying to get Joey and Kelly to beat me up, aren’t you?”

She stuck her tongue out at him, “Payback, baby, payback.”

He looked up at her smiling down at him and felt his heart jump, “Well, you see…” 

End Notes:
Review!
Chapter 10 by Lew
Author's Notes:
Here's the next chapter.  Sorry it took so long, didn't get much chance to write over the holiday, hope you enjoy...

Later that morning, after checking on Lisa’s sister, who was well on her way to recovery, Lisa and JC headed back to the airport.  Once they booked the next available flight to New York, the couple made their way through security and stopped for a cup of coffee while they waited.  Lisa claimed an empty table while JC ordered and paid. 

While waiting, she decided to have a little fun.  Digging through her oversized purse, she found her cell phone at the bottom of the bag.  She tapped the screen until she came to a familiar name in her contacts.  Tapping to bring up a new text message, she opened the full keyboard. 

How could u?  Coming to NY 2……….chat.  Lisa smiled wickedly as she pressed the send button. 

“That’s an evil look,” JC commented as he sat across from her and slid her cappuccino over to her. 

Before Lisa could show him the message she sent, Kelly responded. 

I’m so sorry, I thought it was 4 the best.  If he hurt you, he will pay.  I’m soooooo  sorry!!!!

With a twinkle in her eye, she handed the phone over to JC.  “I know I should probably feel a little guilty about this, but I can’t help myself.”

He licked his lips to remove a drop of the whipped cream left at the side of his mouth and widened his eyes.  “Wow, should I be worried?”  He asked returning the phone back to her. 

“Why?

“Well, let’s see, this line that says ‘he will pay,’ don’t you think that might be cause for concern?”

She waved her hand in dismissal as she took a sip of her drink.  “She’s all talk, no need to worry.”

“You weren’t there when she held a knife to my neck and threatened my life as I tried to convince her to help me get you back.”  He reflexively rubbed his hand over his throat, reliving the moment. 

She leaned across the table and placed a hand on his arm.  “Poor baby, are you scared of your friends wife?  She doesn’t even come up to your shoulder.”

“Go ahead and laugh, but it’s not your neck on the line.”  He said as she hid her smile behind her cup.

“I’ll protect you, does that make you feel better?”

JC suddenly turned serious.  “You’ve protected me for so long, taken care of problems that I’m sure I never even knew about.  Have I ever told you how much I appreciated – and still appreciate you?”

Before Lisa had the chance to answer, a pair of young women timidly approached the table and simply stopped and stared.  Lisa noticed them before JC did and pulled her hand away from his arm, placing both hands around her cup.

JC gave a little sigh before he looked up at the two and raised his eyebrow. 

“Ohmygoshitisyou.”  One of the women spoke, running her words together. 

JC simply smiled as the two looked at him unblinkingly.  He tapped his foot under the table, bumping against Lisa’s shoe as he waited impatiently. 

“Well, sorry to break this up, but Jace I think your plane is getting ready to start boarding, you should probably head to the gate.”  She deliberately left herself out of the statement, knowing how upset JC’s fans could get when he was seen with a woman not a relative.

“Wait, could we please get a picture with you?”  Both women scrambled for their phones and clicked to the camera before almost throwing them at Lisa. 

“Why yes, I would be honored to take the picture, thank you so much for asking.”  Lisa mumbled to herself as she picked up the first phone and put the three of them in the frame.  JC shot her an apologetic look just before fixing his ‘fan smile’ for the picture.  She quickly switched phones and snapped another picture. 

Immediately upon finishing, she stood and grabbed her carryon bag.  She tried to push past the table, but the two women were blocking her way.  JC got to his feet as well and grabbed the handle of Lisa’s bag.  “Sorry, ladies, to rush off, but my girlfriend and I need to catch our flight, have a nice day.”

JC had to put his hand on Lisa’s back to start her moving toward the door.   The two women followed them at a distance, whispering the whole time. 

“Your girlfriend?  Why did you tell them that?” 

JC was moving quickly to try and avoid any more fan encounters.  “Why wouldn’t I tell them you’re my girl?  Are you saying you don’t want to be?”

“Actually, I don’t remember you asking me to be your girlfriend?”

“What do you think that whole conversation was about this morning?”  He asked exasperated. 

“You asked for one more chance, you never said anything about being your girlfriend.”  Lisa flashed an innocent look when he looked at her frustrated. 

“Fine, you wanna play that way…” He looked around as they turned the corner to their gate.  Seeing a small abandoned alcove where the massage chairs were set up, he pulled her in and pressed her back up to the wall.  He released his grip on her carryon, not caring that it fell to the floor at their feet; placing his hands on the wall on either side of her head.  “Lisa…”

“Yes,” she responded breathlessly, looking up at his smiling face.

“Will you be my girlfriend?”  He whispered. 

“I don’t know…what’s in it for me?”

“Hmmm…let’s see…a little of this…”  He brushed his lips against her right cheek, lingering briefly then to her left cheek, lingering longer.  “And some of…this.”  His last word was lost against her parted lips.  Her eyes fluttered shut and she placed her hands on his hips.  His hands left the wall and made their way to the nape of her neck, tilting her head as he deepened the kiss. 

Her tongue timidly traced the outline of his bottom lip then met his as she tried to get as close as possible.  She hoped she would never get used to his kiss.  Even if they spent the next 50 years together, she wanted to experience JC just like this.  He was slowly branding her as his every time they touched. 

An announcement from the speaker next to them had both of them jumping.  The voice was loud as it announced that their flight was boarding. 

“I forget where I am when you take advantage of me like that.”  He grasped her hand in one hand as he picked up the fallen bag with the other. 

“You always did blame me for everything.”  She smiled to take away the sting of her words. 

But as they walked toward their gate, they never saw the women who were furiously typing on their phones. 

***

Lisa let JC drive the car he rented through New York.  He was much more familiar with the area and she loved to watch him drive.  Once they were settled in and headed away from the airport, she turned her phone back on and immediately received a text message from Kelly.

Please forgive me, I’m going to hunt him down.  I didn’t mean it and I will do anything to keep our friendship strong.  I’m sorry for ever falling for his charm.  Please call me and I’ll come pick you up.  When are you getting in?

“Should I respond?”  Lisa asked, after reading him the text.

JC shook his head as he checked his blind spot to switch lanes.  “No way, leave me out of it.  I’m scared enough as it is.”

Deciding she would torture Kelly a little longer, she tossed the phone in the cup holder and turned in the seat so she could look at JC. 

“What?”  He asked, feeling her gaze.

“What what?” 

“Why are you staring at me?”

“Can’t I look at my boyfriend?”  She tried the term out, liking the feeling of it rolling off her tongue. 

“Look away, sweetheart, and feel free to touch.”

“Yeah right, you’re not that great of a driver anyway, and I want your complete attention of the road.”

“Baby, if you’re in the car or anywhere close by, there is no way I can be completely focused on anything.”

They bantered back and forth, as they made their way to Joey and Kelly’s house.  Pulling in the drive, she gave a few last minute instructions to stay hidden on the porch while she tormented Kelly a little more. 

He rolled his eyes, but played along.  Lisa rang the doorbell and shoved JC back against the wall of the house.  The door flew open and Kelly stood there eyes flaming. 

“How could I?  How could you?  I was so sorry I was in tears that he had hurt you again and then I find out that I’m the last to know that you are a couple.  I hate you!”  Kelly shouted angrily, but the anger gave way to excitement as she grabbed Lisa for a hard hug. 

“What are you talking about?  How could you possibly know that?”  JC emerged from his ‘hiding spot.’

Kelly punched him on the shoulder hard, before she slapped Lisa’s arm as well.  “Well, you aren’t doing a very good job of hiding your relationship.”  She pulled them both in and to her laptop set up on the kitchen counter. 

There displayed prominently on her screen was a picture of JC and Lisa in the airport locked in a steamy kiss.  Lisa choked out a half laugh.  “Where did you get that?”

JC chimed in before Kelly answered.  “Great picture, send me the link so I can have a copy, would you?”  He sauntered over to the fridge for something to drink as Lisa gaped at him. 

“It’s all over Twitter.”  Kelly switched back to her news feed and showed Lisa how many people were sharing the link for the picture.   

JC turned back with a bottle of water in his hand, “What?”  JC asked, as Lisa kept staring at him.

“That’s it, that’s your response ‘send it to me so I can have a copy?’”  Her hands were flailing. 

“Yeah, does it bother you, because even if it does, I’m not giving you up now that I’ve found you.”  He studied her closely, searching for a hint of apprehension. 

“No, I guess, I just hadn’t thought about it, I mean, you’ve always tried to keep your girlfriends private and to be splashed across the Internet so soon – it’s going to take some getting used to.”

Kelly interrupted, “Trust me, you will adapt in no time.  This will all blow over soon enough.  Don’t worry about it.”

His eyes assuring her that Kelly’s words were true, he backed it up with a confident smile and a wink. 

“Now I want details so JC – you go find Joey, he’s in the game room and don’t come out until you are called.”

“Yes, ma’am.”  He saluted her with his bottle of water and brushed a kiss on Lisa’s temple on his way by. 

“Don’t leave me here!”  She hissed out with a glance at Kelly.  Kelly was waiting impatiently and eagerly as she bounced on her feet. 

“Sorry, Lisa, you’re on your own.  Good luck.  We’ll grab a bit to eat when you’re done, since I’m sure this will drag on for a while.” 

He disappeared down the hallway as Lisa gazed longingly after him.  Seeing that she had lost, Lisa turned back to Kelly who grabbed her hand and led her to the couch nearby. 

“Tell me everything.”  Kelly demanded. 

“Well, you see…”

End Notes:
Let me know what you think!
Chapter 11 by Lew
Author's Notes:
I'm so so so sorry it has taken me so long.  I had the majority of the chapter written and decided to buckle down and finish.  Let me know what you think!

Lisa couldn’t stop smiling, even as she yelled at Kelly for taking JC’s side.  They laughed until they cried at JC’s antics of hiding from Lisa.  It was a good thing that JC and Joey were in the game room with the kids, otherwise they would have been running for the hills from the girl talk. 

Grabbing a tissue from the box behind her, Lisa dabbed at her streaming eyes then turned back around and tucked her leg underneath her so that she could face Kelly squarely. 

“I still think it was a rotten thing to do – teaming up with Jace like that.  I mean you and I have been friends for many, many, many years.”

Sober now, Kelly reached over and rubbed Lisa’s leg.  “I know, but I’ve always known that the two of you belonged together.  I threatened him with a knife and told him the world wasn’t big enough to hide in if he hurt you.”

Lisa slowly leaned over and rested her head on Kelly’s shoulder.  “Sometimes you are a pretty good friend.”  They both chuckled.  “I keep waiting to wake up.  Surely this is all a dream, I mean my boyfriend is JC Chasez!  I’ve loved him for so long and not only that, but I’ve tried to distance myself from him, especially since he was acting so weird.”

“Have you guys talked about that?”

“Yeah,” she paused for a moment as she remembered their conversation this morning, not willing to tell even Kelly everything that she and JC had talked about.  “I’m just going to trust that JC – the real JC – is back.”

“He is, I’ve never seen him look at anyone the way he looked at you this morning.”  Kelly took a deep breath.  “It’s not going to be easy, I’m not going to lie.  JC is one fine looking man and with those piercing blue eyes, not to mention the hint of gray that he’s getting at the temples, and that body…the way his muscles bulge when he crosses his arms…wow…”  Her voice faded as she had a far away look come into her eyes. 

Lisa moved back so she could stare at Kelly.  With one brow raised, she waited for Kelly to come back down to earth.  Finally mentally shaking herself, Kelly looked over at Lisa and blushed, causing both women to shout with laughter. 

At that moment, JC and Joey entered the room and simply looked at the two women laughing.  Just as they began to gain control, JC crossed his arms over his chest and the women looked at each other as Lisa pointed at Kelly’s blush and leaned too far forward and fell off the couch.  She lay with her back on the floor and her hands over her face as Kelly gazed down at her. 

When Lisa finally calmed down and removed her hands from her face, she opened her eyes to see JC standing over her, his arms still crossed.  “Are you done laughing at us now?”

With a mischievous smile, Lisa stuck her tongue out.  “Oh, we weren’t laughing at Joey.”

With a smile and a roll of his eyes, JC held a hand out to help Lisa to her feet.  Once she stood, he tucked her under his arm and leaned down to press a light, lingering kiss on her lips.  

Forgetting herself, Lisa curled an arm up and around his back as she turned to face him fully.  She lifted on her toes as she deepened the kiss.  Even the laughter and comments from Joey and Kelly didn’t disturb the couple in the embrace.  Lisa merely waved them away with one hand before placing it on JC’s arm, caressing the hard muscles as her hand made its way up to the nape of his neck. 

After a long moment, they broke apart enough to look in the other’s eyes.  “What was so funny?”

Lisa tried to hide the smile, “Oh, nothing.”  She said as she fingered the gray at his temple and slid her hand back down the muscles that Kelly admired.  “So where are you taking us to eat?”  She slid out of his arms to avoid answering his question. 

JC and Joey shared a glance.  “Why is it that I always have to pick up the check – what happened to women’s equality?”  JC teased, tugging at a strand of Lisa’s hair. 

She turned her head as far as she could as JC kept her trapped, her hair wrapped tightly around his finger.  “You know I’m between jobs since my last boss was such a jerk, and after what you and Kelly did this weekend, I think you owe me a nice meal.”

The laughter followed the couple to the car, debating where to eat.  

End Notes:
I've been working on the next chapter so it should be up soon as well!  Review!!
Chapter 12 by Lew

Six Months Later

Lisa had moved back into JC’s guest house once they became an official couple.  The assistant, Trevor, JC had hired had his own place not far away.  But Lisa hadn’t been about to live off of JC so she had taken Justin up on his offer to help him out, working on answering fan mail and handling things on the LA front as Justin traveled the world making movies.  JC wasn’t about to let Lisa fly around the world without him– not even with one of his best friends. 

The couple had their ups and downs as every couple does but they had settled into their relationship – at least that’s what Lisa thought. 

One Friday night, she was going out for a Girls Night Out and leaving JC at home by himself.  He had been in such a strange mood the past few days, it made Lisa think back to the past and how he had acted towards her. 

She was slightly worried that JC had tired of her and this was his way of trying to place some distance between them before the big breakup speech came.  Hopefully, this night out with just the girls would help her take her mind off of things and maybe allow her to get some boyfriend bashing in. 

Lisa took one more look in the mirror as she passed by, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear.  Kelly was due to arrive at any moment and then they would meet the other women at a nearby restaurant. 

A quick tap at the door preceded Kelly’s entrance.  “Hey Lisa.”

“Hey Kel.”

Kelly handed Lisa an envelope.  “I found this tucked in your door.”

It was from the offices of JC’s lawyers. 

Exchanging a look with Kelly, her brow furrowed, she quickly ripped open the flap and tugged out its contents. 

As she read the letter inside, her entire posture changed to one of rage.  Her back straightened, her teeth clenched, and her breathing became heavy. 

JC – her boyfriend – the man she pictured herself married to had sent her an eviction notice.  Many of the words made no impact to Lisa as she hurriedly skimmed the letter one more time.  But there were a few that had her plotting a dangerous crime – “six months to evacuate the premises.”

“He’s kicking me out – he doesn’t have the guts to break up with me face to face so he is kicking me out of his life.  Well, if that’s the way he wants it, I’ll be gone tomorrow, why wait for six months of misery.  I’ve been there before.”  She paced back and forth for a few moments, forgetting that Kelly was there, letting all the rage manifest itself until she was sure that she would explode. 

Passing by a window, she saw a light come on in the main house.  JC was home.  Well, she was going to give him a piece of her mind before she moved out. 

Her heels sank into the grass as she took a shortcut to the house through the grass.  Stopping to lean a hand against the nearby tree, she took the heels off and left them in the grass.  Taking deliberate steps, she vowed not to show JC how much he had hurt her yet again.  There was no way that she was going to give him the pleasure of seeing her cry this time. 

The back door flew open at her touch, bouncing off the wall behind it with the force of her shove.  The hallway was dark but she could see a light on in his formal living room. 

As she made her way down the hall, she paused before she entered, trying to rein in any tears, lecturing herself not to give into them, but it was so hard.  Then she looked once more at the letter in her hand. 

It was war.

End Notes:
Sorry for the cliffhanger, I'm working on the next chapter - don't forget to review!
Chapter 13 by Lew
Author's Notes:
Sorry about the cliffhanger last chapter...

Taking a deep breath, she steeled herself for the confrontation.  With one giant step, she stopped right in the middle of the doorway and stopped in her tracks. 

The only lights on in the lower level of JC’s house were in the formal living room.  The room was aglow with dozens of candles.  He didn’t use this room very often so Lisa was surprised by the beauty of it.  The furniture had all been shifted until the focus was only on JC. 

Kneeling in the middle of the room. 

Lisa was so stunned that she forgot her anger.  The letter crumbled in her hand before she let it fall unnoticed to the floor. 

“Jace – what is going on?”  Lisa asked as she took a small step in the room. 

“I think that I may have a solution to your eviction notice.”

“And what is that?”  Lisa forced out over the lump in her throat. 

JC motioned for her to move closer and she did so on shaky legs, taking the hand he held out to her.  His warm fingers wrapped around tightly around hers.  A tremor betrayed his nerves. 

He let out a shaky breath before he began to speak. 

“Lisa, when you came into my life so many years ago, I had no idea that one day you would become so important to my life.  Back then, I just thought of you as Kelly’s friend, but in reality you were so much more than that.  You traveled with us and put up with our crazy lives.  There was always a smile on your face and you helped all of us stay grounded.  I wanted you around me again so when Kelly called and said you might be interested in taking the job, I jumped at the chance to be around you again, even though I couldn’t have told you why.” 

He paused for a moment to bite his lip nervously, never taking his gaze away from hers.  “I have already begged your forgiveness for what came next and that is now behind us.  My accident was the best thing that could have ever happened to me.  It made me stop and really look at my life, but still I didn’t realize what you meant to me.  I was too stubborn for that.  There are no words to express how blessed I am that you stayed by my side through that ordeal.  But I still didn’t know what a precious jewel you were.  It took you leaving me, shutting me out of your life before Kelly made me question my feelings for you.”

He pulled out a handkerchief from inside his suit jacket and handed it to Lisa, where she immediately dabbed at her streaming eyes.  He cleared his throat, his own eyes glassy in the dim light. 

“These past few months have been the best in my life; seeing you everyday; loving you with all my heart and soul.  I don’t need anything else in my life as long as you are in it.”  JC brought Lisa’s hand to his lips, pressing a lingering kiss to her knuckles. 

“Lisa, I will love you for the rest of my life and beyond.  I don’t want to spend another day apart from you.  Will you be the mother of my children, be by my side forever, laugh with me, cry with me, yell at me…Lisa…will you marry me?”

Sobbing now, Lisa choked out a yes, while nodding her head.  Not even giving JC a chance to pull out the ring, she tugged him to his feet and wrapped her arms tightly around his neck. 

Exultant, JC wrapped his own arms around her back, like a band of steel molding her to his body.  He leaned back and lifted her feet off the ground where she immediately bent her legs at the knees, kicking a shoe off behind her. 

Trying to gain some semblance of control, Lisa inhaled the familiar spice of his cologne.  He knew how much she like that fragrance.  JC turned his head and pressed tender kisses in her hair and down her shoulder.  Lisa finally pulled her head back far enough that she could search out JC’s lips.  Each tasted the saltiness of the others tears on their lips as the tender kiss continued. 

Lisa felt as if this was the first kiss she had ever experienced.  JC had never kissed her so tenderly yet forcefully before.  It was as if he was tattooing his name all over her heart and soul.  Her heartbeat sped up and she would swear it was calling his name. 

Desperately needing oxygen, she gasped in a breath as they separated, resting their foreheads together, sharing the air between them as they smiled excitedly at each other.  JC slowly lowered Lisa back to the floor, where she struggled to gain her footing, just now realizing that she only had one shoe on. 

JC licked his lips, still tasting her lip balm.  It suddenly occurred to him that he had a small box resting in his pocket.  “Let’s sit down,” JC suggested, needing to get off his unsteady legs.  With a hand at the small of Lisa’s back, he guided her over to the soft couch.  Just before sitting down, he pulled the velvet covered box out and held it in his warm palm. 

“I almost forgot this, but I need to let the world know that you are forever taken.”  JC paused before opening it, suddenly insecure.  “Lisa, if you don’t like the ring for any reason, we can take it back and get one that you like.”

With one hand, Lisa covered the box in his hand, stopping him from opening it.  With the other, she lifted it to JC’s face, cupping his cheek in her hand, smoothing her thumb over his freshly shaved jaw.  “Jace, I know that Kelly probably told you everything so what did she say that I wanted when you proposed?”

Chuckling, he conceded that he had asked.  “She said that you wanted it to be a surprise and that if I knew and loved you enough to ask you to marry me then I would know exactly what kind of ring you wanted.”

“Exactly,” she said.  “I don’t even need a ring, I just need you.”

“Well, I need you to have a ring so that everyone knows you are mine.”  With his eyes on hers, he lifted the lid with one hand.  Only glancing down once, he placed the ring on her third finger, guiding it down until it was snug against her hand. 

“Beautiful.”  Lisa whispered. 

“You haven’t even looked at it yet.”  JC protested. 

“I don’t need to and I wasn’t talking about the ring…you are beautiful – your heart, your soul, you…I love you, Josh.”

JC captured her lips with his.  “Forever, Lisa, forever.”

After she wrapped him in a hug, she looked over his shoulder at her outstretched hand.  Breaking away from his lips, she gasped in shock.  This ring that JC had given her was the exact ring she had always dreamed of one day having on her finger. 

The astounding fact, though, was that she had never shared with another soul what the ring would look like.  JC had to really know and love her to have picked those jewels and that design. 

True soul mates…

End Notes:
Let me know what you think - not done with these 2 just yet...  Thanks always for reading!
Chapter 14 by Lew
Author's Notes:
Wow, it has been a long time since I've updated this story.  Enjoy!  

It wasn’t long before the couple was pulled apart by the slam of a door; hurried footsteps made their way to the room entryway.  With one hand on the door jam, Kelly swung into the room, never pausing as she made her way across the room to plop down next to Lisa. 

“Can we help you?”  JC tried to ask sternly, but was betrayed by the large smile on his face. 

Kelly ignored him completely, instead tugging Lisa’s left hand away from JC.  She squealed before she leapt over and hugged both JC and Lisa.  “I’m so happy for you both!  You have no idea how hard it was to keep a straight face and not blow it for JC when I was at your house earlier.”

JC took the opportunity while Kelly was distracted to tug Lisa back to rest against his chest, draping his arm around her shoulders.  Lisa immediately relaxed and lifted her now free left hand to rest in his.  She smiled at him when he pressed a kiss to her temple before she turned back to Kelly’s rambling.  She didn’t notice when he grabbed his phone off the end table behind him and sent a quick text. 

“I have so much information for you; remember how we kept everything from my wedding in that notebook?  I knew we would be using it for you both someday.  But first thing, you have to get a wedding planner.  Oh do you know who you should get?  David Tutera…his weddings are amazing.  You like his show, I’ll call him and see if he is available.  Oh wait, but first you need a date, have you chosen a date yet?  June is always nice, but will 10 months give you enough time to plan?  Have you thought about colors yet?  I look good in orange and it’s JC’s favorite color, but do you really want orange since you don’t like that color?”

Hearing the beep of the security alarm, JC jumped in when Kelly stopped for a breath.  “Not that I don’t love listening to you, Kelly, but we just got engaged and I would like to spend the evening celebrating with my fiancée.  There will be plenty of time for the two of you to talk about plans tomorrow, but for tonight Lisa is all mine.  And your husband wants to spend some time with you.”

Confused, Kelly turned her full attention on JC, “Joey doesn’t even know I’m here.”

“No, but he was close by when he got a frantic text saying that I needed to get my wife out of here.”  Joey said as he stepped inside the room.  “Well?”

Kelly simply ripped Lisa’s hand out of JC’s and twisted it to show Joey the ring.  His eyes widened at the size before he came fully into the room to congratulate the couple. 

Joey gripped JC’s hand then tugged him to his feet for a manly hug and several hard slaps on the back.  “So she actually said yes, huh?”  Joey turned to Lisa, who had come to her feet as well.  “Are you sure about this Lisa, you can still change your mind, no one knows it yet.”  Joey laughed at the expression on JC’s face. 

Exasperated, JC placed a hand on each of Kelly and Joey’s backs and basically shoved them out the door.  “Kelly – thanks for your help and keeping quiet.  I was shocked you were able to pull it off.”  He ignored her protest and look of outrage.  “Joey, thank you for coming to claim your wife.  Now both of you GET OUT!” 

JC escorted them all the way through the house to the front door, closing and locking it immediately behind them.  He took a short detour to the back door as well and locked it before he hurried back to where he had left his new fiancée.  She hadn’t been idle while JC had been gone, instead she had rifled through his playlists and chosen a song that represented them perfectly. 

She had heard him approaching and was waiting with open arms; JC stepped into them and pulled her into his chest.  Lisa snuck one hand around his neck and laid her left hand on his chest to admire his ring. 

“I don’t ever want you to change, JC.  You keep me on my toes and guessing.  Can you promise to keep it up for the next 50 years or so?”  She didn’t wait for a response, but continued on as a new thought occurred to her.  “Although, I wasn’t too pleased with that letter I received earlier.”

JC chuckled as they swayed together.  “Ah, you love it…but I’m afraid of what you would have done to me if I hadn’t been down on one knee with a ring in my pocket.”

“Well don’t forget that cause that’s how I’m going to keep you in line for the next 50 years.”

“I look forward to it with great pleasure.”  His eyes roamed her face, drinking in every detail of how she looked tonight.  Her bright eyes looked back at him, echoing the love he knew was in his own.  He held her a little tighter as it finally sunk in that he never had to let her go.

“I can’t wait.”  They danced in silence for a moment, soaking in all that this evening represented to them. 

Then JC said something that proved he would be keeping her on her toes.  “I’m going to call Kelly tomorrow and tell her that we eloped to Vegas tonight and she can’t plan the wedding.”

Lisa looked up at him startled before she burst out laughing.  She couldn’t wait to spend the rest of her life with this man and all the surprises he had in store for them.  

Chapter 15 by Lew
Author's Notes:
Thanks for reading!

Her hands were fisted tightly in his shirt just above his hips.  Lisa’s forehead rested in the curve of JC’s neck, her uneven breathing gently warming his already overheated skin.  One of JCs hands cradled the back of Lisa’s head while the other rubbed her lower back.  JC gladly absorbed her weight as she rested against him. 

As Lisa’s breathing once again started in short pants, her hands tightened even further, pulling the fabric taunt as her nails dug into his sides.  JC turned his head slightly to brush a comforting kiss against her hair.  “Breathe, baby, breathe.”

An eternity later, Lisa’s fingers slowly loosened their grip on his shirt.  JC could feel Lisa swallow almost painfully, before she licked her dry lips.  “What did I ever do to you…am I a bad wife?”  She said as she exhaled. 

“What are you talking about?”  JC lowered his head and rested it lightly on hers as he softly asked, confused. 

“I mean, what did I do that was so bad that you would punish me by making me go through this?”  She tiredly leaned her head back with a slight smile to take the sting out of her words. 

“Aww…Lisa…I’m sorry…I can’t stand to see you in such pain.”  He choked out, as his jaw clenched at her pain. 

“I know and the fact that you love me so much is the only reason I’m willing to go through this…well, that and the fact that soon we will have a baby.”  Too tired, she again leaned her head back on JC’s shoulder.  He wrapped his arm more firmly around her back and gathered her tightly against him, her swollen belly pressing into his stomach.  He could feel the hardness of the contractions as they came and went and he ached at the thought of causing her so much pain. 

Another contraction came and went as she remained silent through the ordeal.  As yet another pain ended, JC dropped his chin to her shoulder and whispered pleadingly,   “Tell me how I can make this easier for you.” 

Short of breath, she rasped out, “Sing to me…sing our song.”

JC smiled, loving this woman in his arms.  He pressed a kiss to her temple then dropped his head so his lips were close to her ear.  Drawing in a breath, he felt her shiver as the air stirred around her ear.  Softly, he began to sing – needing the distraction as much if not more than Lisa did. 

I swear by the moon and the stars in the sky
And I swear like the shadow that's by your side

I see the questions in your eyes
I know what's weighing on your mind
You can be sure I know my heart

'Cause I'll stand beside you through the years
You'll only cry those happy tears
And though I make mistakes
I'll never break your heart

And I swear by the moon and the stars in the sky
I'll be there
I swear like a shadow that's by your side
I'll be there

For better or worse, till death do us part
I'll love you with every beat of my heart
And I swear

I'll give you every thing I can
I'll build your dreams with these two hands
We'll hang some memories on the walls

And when just the two of us are there
You won't have to ask if I still care
'Cause as the time turns the page, my love won't age at all

And I swear by the moon and the stars in the sky
I swear (and I swear) like the shadow that's by your side
I'll be there

For better or worse, till death do us part
I'll love you with every beat of my heart
And I swear

I swear (I swear) by the moon and stars in the sky
I'll be there
I swear like the shadow that's by your side
I'll be there

For better or worse, till death do us part
I'll love you with every (single) beat of my heart
I swear, I swear, oh, I, swear

I Swear by All 4 One. 

JC would pause through Lisa’s contractions, humming until she relaxed again in his arms then picking up in the song where he had left off.  Toward the end of the song, a nurse came into the room, talking, but quieted when she saw the two of them.  She entered some information in the computer as she checked the consistency and power of the contractions then unnoticed by JC she grabbed the camera sitting on the windowsill.  He glanced up startled at the flash, a momentary pause in his singing until he realized why she was taking a picture.  She had captured the intimate moment between the almost parents perfectly.  JC knew it would become a treasured picture in the future.  He smiled his thanks as he finished the song just before another pain hit Lisa. 

JC had been taking more and more of Lisa’s weight as they stood, but it was the most comfortable Lisa felt during labor.  The pain was much sharper when she was lying down.  The pains were getting closer together and longer and JC knew she wouldn’t be able to stay in his arms much longer this way. 

“Lisa, I need you to get back in bed, okay?  I know how much you love being in hubby’s arms but the contractions are getting much stronger and I need to check you.”  The nurse approached to help Lisa back into bed. 

Lisa took a deep breath and nodded against JC’s chest before she backed toward the bed, helped by both JC and the nurse.  She had to stop as she sat on the bed for another contraction.  When she opened her eyes, she saw JC on his knees in front of her, watching her face with concern etched in every nuance of his face. 

She scooted back in the bed and the nurse moved her legs as Lisa reached out desperately for JC’s hand that he willingly gave to her.  He placed both of his hands tightly around hers as her eyes closed against another pain.    

“Wow, JC, I don’t know what magic you worked, but Lisa you are at 10 centimeters, I’ll go get the doctor and you can start pushing in a minute.”

From then on, JC’s world became a blur – of counting –  of breathing – of supporting – and of no feeling in his hands. 

Then time manifested itself in one moment.  One second they were waiting on the birth of their child and the next they were parents.  In complete and utter shock, JC bit his bottom lip as he tried to focus through blurry eyes.    

This squalling, red faced, wrinkly little person lying on his wife’s stomach made the world come into focus.  JC knew he hadn’t been alive until Lisa had become his, but this moment made the world clearer and the colors brighter. 

Tentatively he reached out to touch a tiny hand, fearful of hurting the baby.  Gently stroking the soft skin, he was interrupted by the opportunity to cut the bond between mother and child.  As soon as he had done so, a nurse whisked the baby away to be cleaned and weighed and for the first time, JC leaned down to his wife whose eyes still had not left their baby.  He placed kisses over her face, kissing away their comingled tears. 

JC wasn’t even conscious of the words he whispered in Lisa’s ear before he turned in awe to the small wrapped bundle a nurse placed in his arms. 

He had a son…

***

Around One Year Later

Lisa toed off her shoes in the laundry room as she passed through from the garage.  It had been nice to get together for a girls day out, but she missed her men.  But she had to admit, the massage had been so relaxing it had almost put her to sleep. 

Now she just wanted to spend the evening with the two most important people in her life.  The first floor was empty and quiet, perhaps JC and Jacob were upstairs napping. 

Lisa quietly padded up the stairs and peeked into Jacob’s room.  Nope – no one there.  Maybe JC had taken him to their bed to read and snuggle.  Again it was empty. 

But as she headed back down the stairs she saw the basement door was cracked opened and heard the soft sounds of the piano.  Silently, Lisa crept down the stairs, not wanting to interrupt if JC was recording, but as she got closer, she realized there was no need. 

JC was playing a simple melody while Jacob, who was sitting on JC’s lap surrounded by his daddy’s arms, was banging on the keys as he squealed in excitement.  They were so engrossed in their music, they didn’t notice Lisa watching them. 

Neither had any idea she was watching them, and she loved to see them two of them together.  Jacob was already mimicking JC and looked so much like him she knew he would be a heartbreaker. 

JC chuckled when Jacob spread his arms as far as they would in an attempt to be like JC and use the whole keyboard.  Jacob almost lost his balance so JC quickly removed one hand from the keys and gripped Jacob’s waist so he wouldn’t fall. 

Jacob turned to look up at JC and laugh which prompted JC to tickle him then look up quickly as Lisa’s laugh joined in.  He bent down to whisper something in Jacob’s ear, causing Jacob to turn and reach for Lisa. 

Smoothly she crossed the room to sit next to JC where he made room for her on the piano bench, taking Jacob into her arms for a hug and a kiss before she turned to JC to greet him as well.  “I think that should be your next single – do you know how many downloads you would have on iTunes?”

JC’s eyebrow raised.  “Hmmm….you think so?”

“I know so – with you both on the piano and Jacob singing,”  she motioned with her head to the little boy on her lap who had gone back to pounding on the keys, but now accompanied himself with his own words.  “you can’t go wrong.  The single would break the record that uh – what was the group called again?  You know the one who holds the record for most CD sales in a single day?”

JC just sighed as Lisa rambled on.  “I really don’t remember which group you’re talking about.”

With a twinkle in her eye, Lisa continued.  “It’s right on the tip of my tongue – Boys II Men – no that doesn’t sound right…Jonas brothers – nope that’s not it either… I know, it was some group called NSYNC.”  She bumped her shoulder against his.  “Hey, weren’t you a part of that little known group?”

“Even if I never record another song or judge another dance, I have everything I need right here.”  With a heartbreaking smile, he turned back to Jacob who was demanding some attention. 

It was so glad to be home.

End Notes:
Don't forget to let me know what you think!  Thanks everyone!
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2251