Barely Breathing by rebeccan
Past Featured StorySummary: What are you supposed to do when you have everything you could ever want, but your heart still wants more?
Categories: Completed Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: Season 8
Genres: Alternate Universe, Angst, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 102325 Read: 71010 Published: Apr 08, 2011 Updated: Aug 13, 2011
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: This story uses real people as the basis for its imagination, but the only thing that I own are the words as the way that they are written. 

1. cast by rebeccan

2. prologue by rebeccan

3. chapter 1 by rebeccan

4. chapter 2 by rebeccan

5. chapter 3 by rebeccan

6. chapter 4 by rebeccan

7. chapter 5 by rebeccan

8. chapter 6 by rebeccan

9. chapter 7 by rebeccan

10. chapter 8 by rebeccan

11. chapter 9 by rebeccan

12. chapter 10 by rebeccan

13. chapter 11 by rebeccan

14. chapter 12 by rebeccan

15. chapter 13 by rebeccan

16. chapter 14 by rebeccan

17. chapter 15 by rebeccan

18. chapter 16 by rebeccan

19. chapter 17 by rebeccan

20. chapter 18 by rebeccan

21. chapter 19 by rebeccan

22. interlude by rebeccan

23. chapter 20 by rebeccan

24. chapter 21 by rebeccan

25. chapter 22 by rebeccan

26. chapter 23 by rebeccan

27. epilogue by rebeccan

cast by rebeccan

Photobucket

Caroline Reed

 

Photobucket 

Brandon Bowman

 

Photobucket 

JC Chasez 

prologue by rebeccan
Author's Notes:
Note: I listed this under AU because I'm kind of inventing my own timeline, rearranging the chronological order of actual events in order to suit my plot. Bear with me!

The first time she saw him, she knew. 

It was obvious, even from where he stood all the way across the room, that they would be perfect together.

She could imagine how well her hand would fit into his larger one.  How he would be the perfect height to rest his arm around her shoulders while they walked.  How comfortably she could tuck her head against his chest, beneath his chin, arms wound around his waist.

The feeling hit her suddenly and unexpectedly, and disappeared almost as quickly as it came.  Then, she was just a bartender behind a bar, ponytail falling out and spilled liquor all over her apron.

She almost forgotten she'd seen him completely until he came over for a refill.

"Sam Adams," he said, and she faltered for only a moment of watching his mouth move.  She took his empty glass and propped it against the tap smoothly, refusing to meet his eyes. 

When it was full, she slid it back across to him, some of the foam slipping down the glass sides.  His fingers brushed hers before she pulled away, and she unwittingly made eye contact. 

He looked at her Queen t-shirt, and smiled.

"I'm Brandon."

Her eyelashes seemed to stick together as she blinked in slow motion.  And she was a goner. 

chapter 1 by rebeccan

She tapped the toe of her shoe on the polished wood floor, keeping time with the ticking of the second hand on her watch.  The receptionist behind the front desk was typing something, her fingers flying over the keys at a rapid pace.  Somewhere in the background, soft music played. 

Her appointment had been made for 11:00, sharp.  And though she had been there at 10:50, the current time was 11:15.  She uncrossed and re-crossed her legs with a soft sigh.

Suddenly, a door opened near the receptionist's desk and a well-dressed, middle aged guy stepped out.  He handed the receptionist a folder and spoke with her quietly for a moment before looking up. 

"Caroline Reed?"

She was already watching him when his gaze landed on her, so she stood up, smoothing her skirt down her thighs carefully.  The man crossed the office to meet her halfway, shaking her hand.

"Nice to meet you, Caroline.  I'm Kevin Connell.  Come on in."

Caroline followed him inside the spacious office, turning to close the door but finding that the receptionist had beat her to it.  Feeling completely out of her element, Caroline sat down gingerly on one of the stiff leather chairs positioned in front of the ornate Louis XVI desk.  It was clearly a replica, but she shrugged it off, admitting silently to herself that it still certainly cost more than her car. 

Kevin settled himself behind the desk, rustling a few papers around, presumably as he searched for her resume.  Caroline took in the view out the full picture window behind him, the LA city skyline giving way to a smoggy horizon, and if she squinted hard enough, a small strip of blue ocean in the distance.

"Sorry."  Kevin finally fished out her resume and held it out in front of him for a moment.  "Forgive me.  Will you have anything to drink?  Coffee?"

Caroline shook her head politely.  "No, thank you."  She made sure to speak with a smile, like her father had always told her.  Not too wide, not too tight, just enough to make them think you're a pleasant kind of gal. 

"Alright, then."  Kevin cleared his throat and perused her resume silently for a few moments.  Caroline made a distinct effort not to tap her shoe on the carpet while she waited. 

Finally, he let the paper fall to his desk and settled his gaze on her.  "USC grad.  You're a Trojans fan?"

Again, Caroline checked her expression for another soft smile.  "Only when it comes to football."

Kevin nodded towards a diploma framed on the wall.  "I graduated from UCLA."

She felt her smile become a little forced.  "I'm sorry to hear that."

To her relief, Kevin laughed.  "I like your sense of humor.  Humble, too."  He glanced down at her resume again.  "You graduated from Marshall just this spring, I see."

"I did."

"Completed your MBA in record time."  It wasn't a question.  "Impressive.  You've got some stellar internships listed here, as well.  Chase Bank, LA City Office of Finance."  He leveled a gaze at her.  "Any reason you didn't stay with either of them?"

Caroline shifted in her seat.  "Well, sir, I wasn't offered a position with either of them."

Kevin cocked his head.  "And why is that?  Your credentials are certainly impressive enough."

"If I may speculate, Mr. Connell-"

"First of all," Kevin interrupted, holding up a hand to stop her.  She saw a gold wedding band around his left ring finger and was betting that it was solid.  "Call me Kevin.  Second of all, please do speculate."

He folded his hands beneath his chin and watched her expectantly.  Caroline uncrossed her legs and sat up a little straighter unconsciously.

"Well, as much as I enjoyed my internships with both companies, and as much as I think that I excelled in performing my duties, I believe that I wasn't offered a position because I'd cost too much to employ."

Kevin frowned but didn't move.  "Is that so?"

"Yes, sir.  Even at an entry level position, given my educational background and experience, neither company could afford a suitable salary to hire me full time."  She paused, choosing her words carefully from the filing cabinet that was her brain.  "I was offered a part time position with Chase, but I turned it down."

"Hm."  Kevin continued to stare at her.  Caroline felt as though he was staring right into her thoughts.  "I contacted every reference listed on your resume personally.  Spoke with Mike Berman at the City, and he gave you a glowing review."

Caroline lowered her head, attempting to look humble.  "Mr. Berman was my supervisor.  He's a great guy."

"So I've heard."  Finally, Kevin looked away, glancing discretely at his watch.  "Well, Caroline, you should know that this job will not involve any of the high caliber kind of responsibilities you're accustomed to.  In fact," he lifted her resume and tapped a finger in the center of it, "you're completely overqualified for the position."

Caroline re-crossed her legs and folded her hands in her laps.  "With all due respect, Mr. Connell-"

Again, the hand, with its glinting gold ring.  "Please.  Again, it's Kevin, and I wasn't finished."

Caroline pressed her lips together and waited.

"You're aware that this will be an assistant job.  There will be some light bookkeeping and financial organizing of a personal nature, but not much."  Kevin paused to watch her nod tersely.  "I don't doubt it's anything you can't handle.  As much as I believe you'd be able to secure any number of positions at any top notch financial firm in Los Angeles, you came here, nonetheless.  I'm assuming you wouldn't have responded to the callback did you not want the job."

He tore a sheet off of the notepad sitting on his desk and scribbled something down.  "I am of the opinion that compensation should be reflective of an individual's background, experience, and work ethic."  He slid the paper across the desk to her, face down.  "I'm hoping that number will secure your desire to accept and maintain this position, no matter how below your qualifications it probably is."

Caroline picked up the paper, feeling her throat tighten, and tried not to let her eyes bug out of her head when she took in the five digits staring her back in the face.  To disguise her shock, she cleared her throat delicately and set the paper down. 

"What do you say?" Kevin asked, an almost imperceptible smirk growing on his face.  "Will that be sufficient?"

She swallowed before responding.  "I believe so."

"Great."  Kevin snatched up the paper and crumpled it before tossing it in a wastebasket out of sight.  "Then you accept?"

Caroline blinked.  Had she really just been hired in ten minutes?  For an interview she'd arrived early for and waited a near half-hour to begin?   Hoping the salary Kevin had scrawled down wasn't just a sick joke, she nodded. 

"I accept."

"Wonderful."  Kevin reached to shake her hand, and Caroline found her real smile replacing the stoic professional version on her face.  "Don't get up yet.  I've got scores of paperwork for you to fill out."

Kevin buzzed the receptionist and had her bring in a literal pile of forms.  He explained each one to Caroline in detail, and waited while she filled out and signed every single one of them. 

"Almost done," he announced, reaching for one more form while Caroline tried to shake the cramp out of her wrist.  "These are the confidentiality agreements."

Caroline frowned, peering at the document he handed her.  Words like discretion, obligations, and media  jumped out at her.  She wasn't a lawyer, but she knew these weren't standard employment forms, either.  "May  I ask what these pertain to?"

Kevin smiled.  "As you may or may not be aware, Caroline, I manage the professional accounts of a various number of celebrity clients.  The majority of them are in the music industry, and all of them are highly sought after by the press.  Skim through this agreement, and you'll find all sorts of fun warnings about being hounded by paparazzi, bribed by gossip magazines, the works."

Caroline turned the page in the agreement and scanned the rest of it.  "So this ensures that I keep my mouth shut about all the dirty laundry?  Literally and figuratively."

"Tactfully put," Kevin replied with a smirk.  "Yes.  Basically, by signing this, you agree to make the things you witness and information you procure to be kept a secret.  Not just to the press, but to family members, friends...we need a strict adherence to this policy for many reasons.  This position is contractually binding, and if any of these lines are crossed by you," he tapped his desk with a pen, "you'll be dismissed.  I understand it sounds harsh, but I hope you understand the necessity of this agreement."

Caroline nodded slowly.  She hadn't known the position would be dealing with a celebrity, and she wondered if she should be nervous.  What if it was somebody she hated?  Or more embarrassing yet, someone she loved?  "I do understand.  Sign here?"

Kevin nodded, looking pleased.  "Yes.  And initial here."

Once every form was finished, Kevin slipped them into a folder and Caroline watched him nervously.

"So, can I ask who this is I'll be working for?" she questioned, feeling comfortable enough now to drop her fake smile.  She tugged on the hem of her skirt nervously.  "Don't tell me it's Mick Jagger."

Kevin chuckled, sticking a Post-It on the folder and setting it to one side.  "Not quite.  Actually, if you have the time, he's in the building today.  I'm sure he'd love to meet you."

Caroline shrugged.  "Alright."  

Kevin stood and crossed the room to a heavy wooden door  Caroline hadn't noticed before.  He opened it inward, and peering around him, she saw what looked like a conference room within.  Kevin's voice was muffled as he instructed whoever was there to come in, and Caroline stood up, only slightly nervous now.  If it wasn't Mick Jagger, there weren't too many other people who could throw her for a loop.  Maybe Stevie Nicks, but Kevin had already indicated it was a man, so that was out.

Caroline was still trying to wrack her brain for celebrities she cared about when a tall, thin guy with dark hair slipped into the room, hands in the pockets of his well-tailored dark jeans.  Caroline blinked at him, confused.  Maybe this celebrity had two assistants.

Then he spoke.  "Hi.  I'm JC."

Caroline shook his offered hand, slightly confused.  "I'm Caroline."  She glanced at Kevin, who was watching her closely.  Dropping her hands back to her side, she shrugged slightly, feeling embarrassed.  "I'm sorry.  I...have no idea who you are."

To her surprise, Kevin burst out laughing, and the other guy, JC, who was supposedly the celebrity after all, cracked a smile.  He looked over at Kevin with a shake of his head.

"Way to go, man."

"I thought you preferred it this way," Kevin replied, and JC just shrugged.  "Sorry, Caroline.  This is JC Chasez.  You'll be working for him."

Caroline nodded slowly, figuring that maybe this was the best result.  If she didn't know who this guy was, she had less chance to embarrass herself around him.  Although part of her felt like she already had.  "Well, it's...nice to meet you."

"You, too." 

A brief moment of silence passed, and then Kevin cleared his throat. 

"Caroline, you'll be working primarily out of JC's home.  He has an office there.  I won't see you too much here, unless you need to run some specific errands for him." 

This was a surprise, and Caroline felt her eyebrows raise.  "Oh."

JC dug something out of his pocket.  "If you can come by the house tomorrow morning, we'll run through a few things.  Nothing too difficult."  He handed her a card.  "Address is on there, and my cell phone number.  There's a gate out front, but just text me when you get there and I'll let you in.  10:00 sound good?"

Caroline blinked, glancing down at the card.  Not only did the guy talk incredibly fast, he had also just told her to "text" him.  She wasn't great at judging appearances, but he looked to be her age or older...not sixteen.  Maybe he was gay. 

"Yeah.  Sounds fine." 

JC nodded.  "Great.  See you then."  He clapped Kevin on the back and disappeared back into the room from which he'd come from.  Kevin pulled the door closed and shrugged at Caroline.

"JC's a great guy.  A little particular, but you should get the hang of the way he likes things fairly quickly."  Kevin walked her to the door and shook her hand once more.   

Caroline didn't feel her shoulders relax until she was out of the building and down in the parking garage.  She sat behind the steering wheel of her Honda for a few minutes, trying to wrap her brain around all that had just happened.  Once she'd sufficiently mulled over the events of the morning, she glanced at her watch and turned her key in the ignition.

It took just fifteen minutes to cross town; traffic wasn't bad before the lunch rush started, and she was at the garage in record time.  She parked her car and crossed the lot towards the building, feeling the sun warm her skin through her jacket as she walked.

Carl greeted her at the entrance, wiping his dirty hands on an even dirtier towel.  "Girl, you walkin' in here like you got some good news today."

Caroline smiled.  "Carl, you know Brandon would kick my ass if you got to hear any of my news before he did."

"I guess so."  Carl paused, peering at her with his wise old brown eyes.  "It is good news though, right?"

Caroline just winked and he laughed.  "That's what I thought.  Your boy's with a customer right now, go on in the waiting room and I'll let him know you're here."  Caroline patted Carl's muscular arm as she passed. 

She sat on one of the hard plastic chairs in the bare waiting area, pretending to flip through an old Reader's Digest but really observing Brandon through the glass door.  He was standing in front of the raised hood of a silver Acura, his back to her while he motioned with his hands and talked to the distressed looking owner.  Caroline watched him lean over the engine and point something out, one ankle crossed carelessly behind the other as he spoke.  She watched his strong arms lower the car's hood and shake the owner's hand before he turned around.

He saw her through the glass before Carl could approach him and raised his eyebrows, head cocked questioningly.  Caroline felt the broad smile slide across her face; this one was most definitely not for show. 

Brandon, getting his answer, matched her smile and strode across the garage.

He flung open the glass door and stood in the doorway.  "Yeah?"

Caroline nodded excitedly.  "Yeah."

Brandon let out a whoop and crossed the room to lift her into his arms, heedless of his dirty coveralls and her clean work clothes.  He knew she didn't care. 

"That's my girl," he said, setting her back on her feet and smoothing his hands over her hair.  "I'm so proud of you, baby."

"Thanks."  Caroline wrapped her arms around his waist and accepted his kiss, giggling softly when he deepened it.  She broke away, bracing a hand against his chest.  "Watch yourself.  Don't start what you can't finish."

"I'll finish it later," Brandon murmured, ducking his head to kiss her jaw.  "We're celebrating tonight."

Caroline smiled against his ear, closing her eyes.  "Just wait until I tell you how much they're paying me."

"Mm."  Brandon pulled back to tuck her hair behind her ear gently.  "Is it enough for me to quit so you can become my sugar mama?"

"Yes," she replied, laughing as his eyes widened.  "Not that I'd recommend it.  Carl would be pissed."

"True."  Brandon let go of her and glanced back into the garage.  "Speaking of which, I've got a couple more things to do before lunch.  Can you stick around?"

"I suppose."  Caroline glanced at her watch, though she wasn't sure why.  It wasn't like she had any obligations awaiting her.  The thought of being done with the empty days with nothing to do but scour the paper for job openings was exciting.  "Are you going to try and make me eat half of your sandwich?"  Every day, without fail, Brandon took the same turkey on whole wheat sandwich to work with him.  Light mayonnaise, no mustard, thinly sliced tomato and lettuce.  He didn't even allow Caroline to make it for him; the process was too precise.

To her surprise, he shook his head.  "Hell no, baby.  We're celebrating.  Anywhere you want to go."

"Wow."  Caroline tapped her chin.  "Whatever will I choose."

Brandon grinned.  "Anywhere you want.  Although, it is Tuesday."

"Indeed it is." 

"And I'm pretty sure Jake is working today, so he could get us an even better deal..."

Caroline sighed good-naturedly.  "Noodle House it is, then."

Me Hueng Lo's Chinese Noodle House was a block away from the garage, and literally the only place Brandon chose to frequent if he wasn't eating his sandwich.  Tuesday was half-priced lunch specials. Caroline accepted his grateful kiss.

"Sounds perfect.  Give me ten minutes."  He kissed her again and disappeared back through the smudged glass doors.  Caroline sat down with a smile.  If she didn't love him so much, he might drive her crazy. 

chapter 2 by rebeccan

The next day, Caroline pulled up in front of a large wrought iron gate at 9:55 exactly.  She shifted her car into park on the hill and fished the business card JC had given her out of her purse to double check the address.  Matching it to the numbers painted on the curb because they didn't seem to be displayed anywhere else, Caroline confirmed she was in the right place and pulled out her phone.

She didn't often text; Brandon didn't have a cell phone at all because he thought they were a tool of the Evil Corporate Empire.  Anyone else she needed to get a hold of, she could just call.  Why JC had instructed her to send him a text message, she wasn't sure, but it took a full two minutes to type out the few words.

JC, I'm at the front gate.  - Caroline

That seemed succinct and professional enough.  So she sent it, and waited for the reply. 

Five minutes later, she was still waiting.  Caroline leaned against the steering wheel and tried to peer up at the huge house that probably waited up on the hill beyond the gate, but her view was blocked by a trail of well-landscaped hedges lining the driveway.  Her phone buzzed in her lap, startling her. 

Who?

Groaning in disbelief, Caroline punched out another painstaking message.  Caroline, your new assistant.  We met yesterday. 

Another few minutes went by before her phone buzzed again.  Oh hey.  Come on up, I'm letting someone out right now.

As soon as she'd finished reading the message, the gate opened as if on cue, swinging aside to allow her passage.  Caroline held her breath as her car inched its way up the steep drive, praying it would make it. 

Finally, the driveway hit a plateau and flattened itself out, leading into a circular car park.  A spacious garage stood open, looking especially well organized and housing at least two flashy sports cars that Caroline could see.  In addition, two more cars were parked in front, a shiny black Mercedes and a dark green BMW. 

Caroline parked next to them, not wanting to know how shabby her three year old Civic looked in comparison, so she exited swiftly.  Birds chirped and the air seemed clearer up here, which was probably why rich people like this chose the area to begin with. 

Caroline ascended a wide, gently sloping flight of stairs leading up to the front door, surrounded by well-manicured planters overflowing with various greenery.  There were no flowers, which Caroline noted was a fairly masculine touch.  The house itself loomed with a certain bachelor-esque air; it was very minimalist and clean looking, modern yet classy. 

She had just reached the top of the stairs when the massive mahogany wood door swung open, revealing JC and a slender young woman wearing a short white dress.  She was tall, taller than Caroline with heels and maybe even taller than JC, her hair a long mass of sun-kissed bronze shine to match her skin.  She kissed JC on the cheek, who leaned against the doorjamb and nodded a goodbye.  Caroline passed her on the way to the stairs, offering a smile, and the girl returned it slightly, not quite meeting Caroline's eyes.

"Morning," JC greeted, gesturing her inside as she approached the front door.  He was dressed casually in those expensive looking distressed jeans and a white t-shirt.  Caroline stepped inside the large foyer, her heels clicking on the marble tile floor.  There was a narrow console table near the door, housing a telephone, a lamp, and a glass bowl filled with keys.  A couple pairs of shoes rested nearby.  Pretty normal so far.

"Was that your girlfriend?"  Caroline asked as JC closed the door behind her.  He didn't answer right away and she panicked, thinking maybe she had crossed a line. 

"Huh?  Oh...no."  He offered no further explanation.  "Office is in here." 

He waved for her to follow him, and Caroline did, holding her purse close to her body as they crossed from the foyer into an immense sunken living room.  Her heels sunk into the plush carpet (white, of course.  Her mother had always told her that only rich people could afford to maintain white carpet) as they passed through the room.  A simple beige sectional sofa took up most of the space,  centered around a wide coffee table.  On the far side of the room, an impressive grand piano was situated in front of what was apparently a wall of glass.  French doors  were propped open, letting in the sunshine from a quaint garden patio. 

JC approached a set of two doors opposing each other, and opened the one on the left.  Inside was a modest, fairly bare office.  Two desks, but only one with a computer, which looked to be a fairly new model Mac.  A filing cabinet was situated in the corner, and there was various other office equipment, a small copier and fax, a printer.  A window looked out onto the backside of the house, a spacious green lawn and a pool in the distance. 

"I don't use it much," JC admitted.  "But it should be sufficient.  This will be your space, really."

Caroline set her purse down on one of the desks, taking the room in.  She could work with this, even if it was in the midst of an extravagant mansion.  The carpet ended at the door, giving way to polished dark wood, so her shoes wouldn't sink.  The swivel chair behind the desk was ergonomic.  Very nice indeed.

"Okay?" JC questioned, and Caroline nodded.

"It's great."

"Good."  He motioned with his head again and she stepped back out of the office to the opposing door.  He opened it and swung it open, revealing a set of carpeted stairs.  "Down here is where I spend most of my time."

She followed him down the stairs and through another door, which had a handwritten sign reading "QUIET" taped to it.  Inside was what looked like a full sized, top of the line recording studio.  A huge soundboard with many different knobs and buttons backed up against a plexiglass wall, which revealed a darkened room filled with various musical instruments. 

"This is the studio, pretty self explanatory."  JC motioned around with his hand.  "Honestly, you'll probably never need to be down here."  He glanced at her.  "Not to sound harsh, but...unless I ask you to come down, it's probably best just to avoid it."

Caroline nodded slowly, understanding.  This was where his most serious work took place.  She'd gone home the night before and Googled the shit out of JC Chasez, and it was safe to say she knew most everything there was to know about his professional career by this point.  Started in the early ‘90s with the Disney Channel, worked its way up to a boyband of colossal proportions (even Brandon had been impressed when she'd name dropped NSYNC), leveled out through a solo recording contract, and now had settled into what seemed to be mostly behind-the-scenes related.  He had an impressive resume of artists that he'd written and produced for, including Basement Jaxx, from whom Caroline owned several albums.  She'd sheepishly flipped through the liner notes on all of them until she'd found his name.

"And if I'm down here and you need me, this phone rings through from the office."  JC motioned to a plain black telephone that sat on the counter beside a huge flat panel computer monitor.  "I turn it off when we're recording, for obvious reasons."

She followed him back upstairs and he gave her a basic tour of the rest of the house's lower level.  She found out that the front living room they'd passed through was so spotless because it was hardly ever used; a more casual set up existed in the other half of the house, closer to the kitchen.  An enormous TV with just about every video game system she could imagine took up the majority of one wall, a comfortably worn leather couch across from it.  A smaller coffee table was pushed off to the side, scattered with papers and books. 

"Kitchen's in here," JC announced, leading her up a step into another enormous room.  The kitchen was as spotless and underused-looking as the formal living room, and Caroline stared around at it in awe.  She thought of her own tiny apartment kitchen, estimating it to be about roughly the size of JC's counter island. 

"This is...wow."  She touched the granite countertop lightly and sighed.  "Really nice."

JC laughed at her.  "All this, and the kitchen is what throws you for a loop?"

His laugh was kind of goofy sounding and made him seem a bit more human to Caroline.  "I like to cook."

"Yeah?  Well, feel free to use this for whatever."  He shrugged and opened up the large subzero stainless steel fridge, revealing it's sparse contents.  "I mean, you're free to eat whatever you can find, but I don't cook at all really.  It's a lot of processed food, unfortunately.  Whatever's easy."

"Actually, if you don't mind," Caroline began slowly.  "I'll probably bring my lunch with me most days.  I'm a vegan, so I doubt I can eat anything you have."

JC's eyebrows raised.  "Oh.  Interesting."  He motioned towards the empty fridge again.  "Fill this up with whatever you need, then.  Clearly I'm not using it much."

He closed the fridge and leaned against the island opposite of her.  "And that's pretty much the house.  There's upstairs, too, but all that's up there are bedrooms.  Mine, and a couple guestrooms, which are really just filled with junk."  He paused.  "Do you live far?"

Caroline shook her head.  "Um, no.  I live downtown, so...it's about a fifteen minute drive."

JC nodded, rubbing his chin.  Now that Caroline looked at him up close, it was apparent he hadn't shaved in a few days.  "Not bad.  You're okay working here, then?"

"Sure."

"Good.  I guess I could have a fancy office somewhere, but I don't really see the point, since I do most of my work here from home.  It only makes sense that you'd do all of your work here as well.  Speaking of work, did Kevin talk you through any major details yesterday?"

"Not really," Caroline admitted, and JC motioned for her to take a seat at one of the barstools.

He gave her a basic rundown of what her position would entail, laying everything out in a very matter of fact way.  Though her main job would be to organize and keep track of his schedule, he also expected her to keep pretty much every area of his life harmonized as well.  While he had a housekeeper, JC admitted it may come down to her having to do some of his laundry in a pinch.

"I hope you're okay with that," he said, not sounding very apologetic about the fact.  "It's just that I know it's bound to happen a couple times."

As he spoke, Caroline recalled what Kevin had said the day before about his particular nature, and she could see it shining through.  While he had a certain lackadaisical element to him, JC was clearly fairly regimented when it came to work-related matters.  He had a lot of expectations for her, from making sure his bills were paid on time to reminding him to call his mom.  Caroline thought that maybe she should be taking notes, but she didn't want to interrupt his flow.

JC asked her something surprising then, which made Caroline sit up straighter in concern.

"Did Kevin tell you about any of my past assistants?"

Caroline shook her head.  "No, I don't think so."

JC leaned against the counter with a sigh and a roll of his eyes.  "That's a first."  He scratched at a non-existent speck on the granite.  "I've been through a lot of assistants in the past three years, and he tends to give out fair warning about that."

"Oh."  Caroline swallowed, suddenly feeling disheartened.  After she'd finally gotten a job and blown Brandon's mind with her announced salary last night, now she was learning just how soon it would be until she lost it?

"Don't be nervous," JC said, not sounding reassuring at all.  "I just like things a specific way, and...some people can't handle that.  I guess I can be a dick about stuff sometimes, but you really just have to tell me that I'm being ridiculous." 

"And then you'll either agree or fire me?"  Caroline said, and he chuckled.

"Yeah, pretty much."  He looked at her suddenly, as if he was seeing her for the first time.  "How old are you?"

Caroline blinked.  "I'm 25."

He turned his head slightly, as if in disbelief.  "Kevin said you had your Masters degree already?  In business?"

"I have my MBA in Financial Planning."  She was used to impressing people with her credentials, but JC just nodded, looking impassive. 

"Well, you're smart, then.  I really don't think you'll have a hard time with any of this."

He looked at her expectantly then, holding out the palms of his hands in question.  "Everything sound okay?"

Caroline nodded, wondering how far she could go with him.  Well, she'd never find out if she didn't try. 

"Other than you being a potentially huge asshole, yeah, sounds great." 

To her relief, JC just smirked at her comment.  "Perfect."

They ran through just a few more things before JC walked her to the door. 

"Oh, one more thing."  He leaned against the open door and appraised her, his eyes raking across her body from the bottom up.  Caroline shifted her weight uncomfortably; maybe she'd been wrong about the gay thing after all.  And maybe the girl doing the walk of shame down the front steps that morning should have tipped her off to that already. 

"I'm loving this...young professional look you have going on," he said, motioning at her pressed khaki slacks and black linen jacket.  "But, at least fifty percent of the reason I work from home is so I can do a lot of shit in my pajamas.  So, just fair warning."  He shrugged one shoulder noncommittally.  "I mean, dress how you want.  But I'm not going to complain if you show up in jeans, either."

Caroline had spent a good portion of her college career learning how to dress to get the job she wanted.  Her closet was more than half full with a plethora of well-tailored pants, skirts, and dresses.  She only owned about six pairs of shoes total, and four of them were very uncomfortable but expensive looking pumps.  But somehow, the suggestion that she could wear, quite literally, whatever she wanted to work...made her kind of relieved.

"Okay.  No problem."

JC nodded.  "Great."  He snapped his fingers suddenly.  "I guess I'd better give you the gate code so you can let yourself in tomorrow.  Of course, you understand that it has to remain absolutely secret."

Caroline allowed him to rattle off the four digit code, committing it to memory quickly.

"I'm usually in business by 9, at the latest," he told her as she stepped out into the sunshine.  "Of course, you can leave it up to your own discretion whenever you want to come and go.  As long as everything gets done, I'm flexible."

Caroline shaded her eyes from the sun and looked at him as he spoke.  One minute he was a meticulous commander, then next he was easygoing and adaptable.  JC wasn't like any boss she'd ever had before, and it wasn't clear yet whether she was going to excel at this job or fail miserably.

"Okay.  Well, see you tomorrow around 9, then?"

JC shrugged and watched her descend the steps towards the drive.  "Sure.  Later."

Caroline thought about JC as she drove back home, trying to put all the pieces together that made him who he was.  No matter what, she was fairly certain he would drive her crazy at some point.  But who didn't have a boss that drove them a little crazy?  She could deal.

In the end, her mind kept flitting back to those five figures Kevin had scribbled down for her the day before, and she resolved to stick it out for as long as possible.  She was determined, she was focused.  She'd had to work her ass off in school to get where she was now, there was no reason some former pop star should scare her off.  Right?

Wednesday was Brandon's day off from the garage, and he was in the kitchen making his sandwich when she stepped inside their apartment.  He was shirtless, in full on day-off mode, his tattooed back and forearms showing as he sliced his sandwich in half.  Their cat, Moo, slinked around the floor near his ankles, meowing softly as she waited for handouts.

"Hey," he greeted, grinning at her.  "How was the first day?  Done already?"

"Yeah."  Caroline shrugged out of her jacket and hung it over the back of one of their mismatched dining room chairs.  Their cramped apartment was certainly a far cry from JC's mansion, and she sighed, observing it gloomily.  "We just went over some of the basics.  I guess I'll start getting down to the hard stuff tomorrow."

Brandon snorted, plating his sandwich and pulling a bag of chips out of the cabinet above his head.  "But isn't this job supposed to be pretty easy for you?  I mean, come on...it's not like the guy's super famous and busy anymore, right?"

"I don't know," Caroline admitted, kicking her shoes off and pulling open the fridge to survey its contents.  "He seems like he has a lot of crap going on for a has-been."

"Hm."  Brandon carried his plate out to the living room and sat down on their sad looking secondhand sofa.  Caroline had never had a problem with their furniture before, but now she looked at it through new eyes.  Maybe it was time to buy some new stuff, while they could afford it.

"Does he have sweet digs?"  Brandon asked through his mouthful of sandwich, flipping through channels on TV.  Caroline pulled a bottle of water out of the fridge and crossed the room to sit on the arm of the couch.  Moo hopped up to sit on the cushions in between them, sniffing in the direction of Brandon's lunch.  Caroline stroked the cat's black and white coat absently as she replied.

"Yeah.  It's pretty awesome.  He's got a huge recording studio in his basement."

Brandon glanced away from the TV to look at her, his eyebrows raised.  "No shit?" he mumbled, swallowing before he continued.  "That's rad."

"Yeah, it's nice."  Caroline sighed and allowed him to tug her down into the space next to him, bumping Moo out of the way with a sharp meow.  She allowed him to wrap his free arm around her, pulling her body against his.  He smelled like laundry soap and oranges, and Caroline closed her eyes.

"You okay?"

She nodded, resting her head against his bare shoulder.  "I'm fine.  I'm just hoping this job isn't going to be more trouble than it's worth."

"Well, if it sucks, you can just quit," Brandon pointed out, and Caroline didn't say anything.  Sometimes he didn't seem to understand that "just quitting" wasn't as easy of a solution for her as it seemed to be for him.  "Wanna hear some good news?"

"Of course."  Caroline reached over to snatch a chip from his plate, popping it into her mouth. 

"We got booked into an open slot at the Troubadour next week."

"Shut up."  She sat up straight, turning to look at him.  "Serious?"

Brandon nodded, laughing as she leaned in to kiss his cheek excitedly.  "Yeah, Dave just called.  I guess the promoter lost one of their bands last minute, so they called us.  I'm stoked."

"That's awesome, Brandon."  Caroline leaned against the back of the couch, feeling as if all her worries about her new job just melted away.  "When?"

"Next Friday night, at eight.  We're gonna try and pack the place out."  He glanced at her.  "You'll be there, right?"

Caroline frowned.  "Yeah, of course.  Why wouldn't I?"

Brandon shrugged, finishing off his last bite of sandwich before replying.  "I just didn't know about your work schedule."

Caroline considered it for a moment, but she couldn't think of any reason that she might need to stay past 8:00 on a Friday night.  "Oh, no.  It won't be a problem."

Brandon nodded.  "Good.  I need you there for luck."  He winked and Caroline smiled.  Even after all four years, he could still turn the pit of her stomach into butterflies. 

"You guys will do great."  She leaned against the back of the sofa, frowning at the squeaky springs.  "What do you think about getting a new couch?"

Brandon looked shocked.  "Why?  I love this couch."  He smoothed his hand over the faded brown slipcover that Caroline's stepmother had sewn to fit over the ugly orange velour pattern beneath.  "What's wrong with it?"

"I don't know.  We can afford some new stuff now, with my job, so I just thought..." She trailed off and Brandon shook his head emphatically. 

"No way.  Quit trying to change shit on me.  You know I hate that."  Caroline sighed.

"Well, think about it.  We could get something new and nice.  Leather," she offered, trying to tempt him, but Brandon just made a face.

"Seriously?  Look at the vegan over here suggesting we get a leather couch."

Caroline rolled her eyes.  He knew she was a vegan because she'd been raised one, not because she was an animal rights activist, but he never missed a chance to rib on her for it.  "Shut up.  I'm just saying, think it over. Change isn't always a bad thing."

"But it usually is."  Brandon sighed at her pouty face.  "God, fine.  I'll think about it."

Smiling at the almost-win, Caroline patted his shoulder and got up to make her own lunch.  "Love you."

"Don't start," Brandon mumbled.  Then, after a short pause, added, "Love you, too."     

 

chapter 3 by rebeccan

 

Caroline,

How are you settling in?  Is JC treating you well?  He hasn't called to voice any concerns about your performance thus far, so I'm assuming everything's going well.  I've attached an updated publicity schedule for the remainder of this month - only two events have been added, so you shouldn't have any trouble fitting them in. Let me know if you run into any problems, and tell JC he can field his complaints my way. 

Sincerely,

Kevin

PS: Hang in there.


Caroline re-read the email for the second time and shook her head at the computer screen.  What did Kevin mean by JC having concerns about her, or telling her to hang in there?  Did everyone really expect her to fail so badly at such a menial job? 

She opened the PDF file that Kevin had attached and scanned through the new additions to the schedule.  At the end of the month, he'd listed a fashion show he wanted JC to make an appearance at, as well as some charity event.  Both were on Saturdays, and Caroline hoped she wouldn't be expected to sacrifice her weekend to attend as well.

She added the new changes to the existing calendar she'd mocked up earlier in the week and hit print, taking a moment to catch her breath and stare out the window at the backyard.

The past week had been something of a whirlwind.  For the first two days of her official employment, JC had more or less been breathing down her neck.  He'd plopped himself down in the desk across from hers in the office and dictated out lists of tasks he wanted accomplished, times he wanted to do things, as well as some other vague half-brained instructions.  His mind seemed to be constantly going in a thousand different directions at once, and he expected Caroline to catch on quickly, and without taking notes. 

Last Friday, her desk had been nearly covered with Post It note reminders and he'd teased her about it.

"You don't have to write down everything I say," he'd pointed out, plucking up a note that read remember: JC will only use Titan shoelaces.  "You'll remember it all eventually."

Eventually seemed to be a key word in JC's vocabulary.  When Caroline asked him if he'd reviewed the notes she'd printed out regarding his upcoming interview with Vibe Magazine, he'd waved her off and said, "I'll read ‘em eventually".  When she asked if he'd returned any of the thirteen phone calls she'd fielded for him while he'd taken a nap upstairs, he just shrugged from his spot on the couch and said, "yeah, I'll get to it eventually". 

The weekend had been a well-earned break, and she'd spent the majority of it complaining to Brandon about JC's various nuances and annoying habits.  He bit his nails, he was constantly tapping or jiggling some part of his body, and he never bothered to leave her any coffee in the mornings. 

By the time Monday rolled around, Caroline had spent the drive to his house praying for strength.  However, after letting herself in the gate, she found an unfamiliar car parked in front of the garage again.  Her first thought was that JC was entertaining another lady friend, and she'd entered the house with caution.  But it was suspiciously silent, and a note on her desk announced that JC had someone over for a session and would be down in the studio for most of the morning.

As it had turned out, Caroline had spent the day rather productively, getting all of her work done and then some, as JC never surfaced from the basement.  The next day was much the same, the only indication that her boss was alive being the identical note he'd left on her desk.

Wednesday, his sessions must have been complete, because he was in her office by 9:30, demanding to know whether or not she had ironed his suit for some party. 

"You never told me to iron anything," Caroline had said, feeling absolutely certain of this fact, as her running list of "JC-Do's" was currently blank.  She'd started keeping the notepad next to her keyboard, constantly ready to scribble down some inane task he wanted done by some specific time. 

"I didn't?"  He'd frowned but didn't argue.  "Well, I need you to iron it.  It's upstairs." 

That had been Caroline's first venture into JC's bedroom.  It was nearly as enormous as the formal living room downstairs, but not nearly as exciting as she'd hoped.  Actually, it was fairly bare, decorated with only a king-size bed and a low dresser topped with a modestly sized flat screen TV.  Matching nightstands were piled high with books and notebooks.  Balcony doors stood open, rustling the sheer curtains, and an adjoining bathroom revealed a countertop cleared of everything except for a bottle of cologne.  Caroline had felt somewhat disappointed as she'd retrieved the suit from its spot on the back of his closet door.  She'd been expecting something wild, like a sex swing or platinum records all over the walls. 

For all that she'd learned about JC's personal life in her first week (which wasn't much), he'd somehow managed to wheedle his way into hers in the most roundabout ways possible.  While she was showing him her system for organizing and displaying his monthly calendar in the most user-friendly way, he'd suddenly asked about her family. 

"Are you an only child?  Or do you have brothers and sisters?"

His question had thrown her off completely, and she'd stammered over the answer.  "I-I have two brothers."

"You're the youngest?" JC had asked, leaning back in his chair and examining a stain on his t-shirt. 

"I'm...yeah.  How...why are you asking me this?"

Then he'd shrugged and returned to questioning her about the calendar. 

In the same way he'd gotten other details out of her, about her childhood, her college experience, even Brandon.  As much as Caroline wanted to keep her private life out of her job, the way JC nudged his questions in so unassumingly was unsettling.  At some point, she'd just started answering them unconsciously.  This seemed to satisfy him, however, and eventually his smatterings of random questions became nothing more than an occasional nuisance to Caroline.  Of course, she wouldn't dream of doing the same to him.

Now, it was finally Friday afternoon, and she was done for the day.  Her list of tasks was cleared, JC's dry cleaning had been picked up and paid for, and now the schedule was revised.  Plucking the fresh calendar from the printer tray, Caroline shut down the computer and picked up her bag, exiting the office with a glance at her watch.  It was just past five, and she would make it home in plenty of time to eat dinner, shower, change, and head down to Hollywood for Brandon's show.  She felt a ball of nervous excitement fluttering in the pit of her stomach for him; this was a big gig for the band and she couldn't wait to see them onstage in a few short hours.

JC was in the kitchen, sitting on one of the barstools and watching the TV through the doorway into the den.  Some mindless reality show was on, something about midget couples trying to get pregnant, and Caroline found him watching crap like this more often than not.  She entered the kitchen, pausing at the sink to rinse her coffee cup from that morning.  She'd found the trick to getting any at all was either showing up by 8:30 or just making a second pot herself after JC polished off the first one.  It had taken her long enough to figure out the fancy machine that ground its own beans, supplied its own hot water, and steamed milk all at the same time. 

"Kevin emailed over some changes to your schedule," she announced, getting the new calendar off the counter and watching JC's back for any sign of his noticing that she'd spoken.  For a few moments, he continued stuffing his face from a bag of pretzels he held in his lap and more or less ignored her.  Finally, the show he was watching faded into a commercial, and he turned in his barstool to address her.

"What changes?  Anything big?"  She handed him the new copy and snatched the old one from its place off the fridge.  No matter how little actual food it housed, Caroline found that JC still seemed to spend a good portion of his day standing in front of it, searching for something that wasn't there, so she'd tacked a copy of the calendar in the middle of the otherwise empty stainless steel door.  Another copy was taped to the door that led down to his studio, yet another was in his bedroom somewhere, and finally one more on the entryway table, next to the phone that he never seemed to answer himself. 

"Hm," was JC's only response to the new additions, and he continued munching on pretzels.  Caroline noticed for the first time that he was wearing the suit she'd ironed earlier in the week. 

"Are you going somewhere?" she asked, and JC gave her a strange look.

"Shouldn't you know?"  He flicked the calendar across the island towards her and Caroline's eyes gravitated to Friday.  Indeed, printed in the small square box was "ABDC Promo Party - 7pm".  It was highlighted as well, although she couldn't remember why. 

"Oh."  Caroline frowned, scratching the back of her head in thought.  "Why is it...highlighted?"

She answered her own question mentally even as she spoke, and JC stared at her like she was some kind of idiot.

"Don't tell me you forgot already," he drawled.  "Pink highlighting means-"

"I have to go," she murmured, the realization hitting her like a ton of bricks.  How could she have let this slip by?  Brandon's show had been planned since the previous week, how could she have forgotten?

"Bingo."  JC tossed a pretzel in the air and caught it in his mouth.  He held the bag out to Caroline, offering her some, but she ignored him.

"JC, I can't go." 

He looked at her blankly.  "Is that so?"

"I really can't, I have a...a previous engagement."  It sounded dumb, she knew, but it would feel even more ridiculous claiming off her contractual obligations to attend her boyfriend's music gig.  "I don't know how I missed it, but...it's been planned for awhile."

JC ate another pretzel, crunching on it slowly while he watched her, impassive as always.  "Do you want to tell me what it is that you think should somehow excuse you from doing your job?"

Caroline ran her hands through her hair, groaning in frustration.  She was fucked, so royally fucked.  There was no way she could get out of this, not at this point.  How had she been so stupid?  "My boyfriend's band is playing a show at the Troubadour tonight at eight." 

As expected, it felt stupid coming out of her mouth, but JC's vague expression didn't change.

"Your boyfriend has a band?"

Caroline sighed.  "Yes."

"What does he play?"

"He sings."

JC nodded, looking thoughtful.  "Well.  The Troubadour.  That's exciting."  He turned back to the TV as his program resumed.  "But I need you with me tonight.  Sorry."

Caroline stared at his back, the wrinkle-free suit jacket she'd so painstakingly prepared earlier in the week suddenly mocking her.  Indignation welled up inside of her, and she rounded the counter to stand in front of him, blocking his view of the TV. 

"JC, I don't really need to go to this thing," she pointed out.  "You said yourself it's just another party."

"You're right," he allowed, popping another pretzel in his mouth.  "It is just a stupid party.  But I do need you there.  Stupid parties aren't just for show, Caroline.  They serve a very specific purpose.  This one happens to be footed by MTV, so it's a great place to make contacts.  I need you to help facilitate these contacts,  to take notes, to remember names and faces."

Caroline gritted her teeth and stared down at her sneakers in frustration.  Her shoes, fuck! 

"Damn it, I'm not dressed for a party at all," she exclaimed, examining her jeans and long-sleeved shirt as if they'd just magically appeared on her body.  JC surveyed her body with the same slow attentiveness he'd given her that first day at the door. 

"You're right."

Annoyance level through the roof, Caroline scowled at his indifference.  "This is all your fault.  You told me to dress casual."

"Chill out."  JC set his pretzels aside and glanced at his watch.  "It's 5:30 right now.  Go home, change into something...better, and I'll pick you up at your place in an hour."

Caroline leaned against the counter across from him with a heavy sigh, rubbing a hand across her forehead.  Brandon was going to be completely disappointed.  The worst part about it was that she knew he'd understand, too. 

"Caroline."  JC's voice broke into her thoughts and she glanced up at him.  To her surprise, his void expression had softened slightly.  "I don't want to go to this thing any more than you do. If you stick it out with me for an hour, tops, maybe we can escape in time to swing by your boyfriend's show afterward."

Caroline frowned, untrustworthy.  "Why?  It doesn't matter to you."

Her words were cold but JC just shrugged it off.  "I know you probably think I'm an idiot when it comes to real music, but even I know that playing the Troubadour is a pretty big deal."

"It is."

"So, I'm sure Brian or Brennan or whatever his name is wants you there."  He wasn't looking at her anymore, his attention back on the TV.  "Damn, this show is so weird."

Caroline only half glanced at the TV.  "Well...thanks.  And I don't think you're an idiot."

JC turned to regard her again.  "What do you think I am, then?"

It was a loaded question, and Caroline had about a billion different answers, but she decided it was best to place her bets safely tonight. 

"I think you just want to make music and entertain people."

JC's eyebrows raised at her statement.  "And what about your boyfriend?  Does he want to make music and entertain people?" 

Caroline wasn't sure why he was asking, but she nodded in agreement.  "I guess he does, yeah."

JC smirked.  "Good.  Then we'll have something to talk about when I meet him tonight."  He glanced at his watch again.  "Write down your address, I'll put it in the GPS.  6:30, sharp.  Be ready."

Caroline spent her entire drive home trying to get a hold of Brandon.  There were many downsides to him not having his own cell phone, and trying to contact him in a pinch was one of them.  She called every other member of the band, running into dead ends and voicemail prompts at every turn.

Finally, when she was home, in between tearing apart her closet for something to wear and taking the quickest shower of her life, Caroline rummaged up the Troubadour's phone number and prayed someone would answer. 

It rang a total of fifteen times before a distant voice answered. 

"Hi, I'm trying to get a hold of one of the members of the band that's playing there tonight," she said.  "Preferably Brandon Bowman but any of them will do.  Hello?"

"Just a minute," was the muffled reply and Caroline paced her bedroom anxiously while the phone changed hands. 

"Hello?"

"Hi, Dave?"

"That's me...Caroline?"

Caroline sighed in relief.  Of all of the band members she could have gotten on the phone, Dave was probably the best choice to actually get a message to Brandon some time before the next century. 

"Yeah.  Is Brandon nearby?"

"Man, you just missed him.  He and Carver went out to get some dinner for everybody before the show."

Caroline restrained a groan, catching the time flashing red at her from the bedside alarm clock.  "That's fine, listen, I need you to get a message to him from me."

"Oh, sure.  What's up?"

"Something came up with work and I'm not going to be able to make it tonight."

Dave responded with a low whistle.  "Shiiiit.  That sucks."

"I know.  There's a chance that I may be able to get there before your set is finished, but..." She trailed off, not wanting to get her own hopes up.  "Can you just tell him that I'm sorry?"

"Yeah, totally.  We'll miss you, Care."

Caroline rubbed her temples against a threatening headache.  "Thanks Dave.  Later."

Literally two minutes after she'd hung up her phone, it buzzed to life again, JC's name flashing across the screen.  It was just a text message, and Caroline tossed the phone aside hurriedly as she yanked a dress out of her closet and over her head.  She grabbed heels to match and slipped into her jacket as she checked the message.

I'm downstairs was all it said, and Caroline barely had enough time to re-apply lipstick before she ran out the door.

JC was idling by the curb in a gunmetal-colored Audi, attracting stares from passerby.  Caroline collapsed into the passenger seat, startling JC from his fumbling with the radio. 

"You're two minutes late," he pointed out, and Caroline shot him an exhausted glare.  "Kidding."

His gaze burned a trail up her bare legs, and Caroline yanked the hem of her dress down self-consciously.  JC smirked and shifted the car into park. 

"You clean up nice.  Ready?"

Caroline didn't respond.  What was left to say?

 

chapter 4 by rebeccan
Author's Notes:
Note: If any of you are familiar with the band Incubus (whose lead singer, Brandon Boyd, is the inspiration for, you guessed it, Brandon), you'll notice that I yanked one of their song titles for the concert scene in this chapter. However, the band is not at all meant to be portraying themselves in this story. Whereas in reality, Incubus is a fairly popular band, in the story, they are relatively unheard of. Just wanted to clear up any potential confusion.

Ninety minutes later, Caroline was seated at the bar in a dim, smoky lounge, watching the clock and drowning her misery in a warm beer. 

JC had been circulating around the room all night.  At first, she tried in vain to stay by his side, aware that she looked like a lost puppy nipping at his heels.  No one even seemed to acknowledge her. Caroline was sure that the room was chock full of famous people, and they were all assholes.  She stopped trying to recognize anyone, and eventually planted herself on a lone barstool.  She doubted JC even realized she was gone, judging by his distinct and boisterous laughter floating across the room.  She rolled her eyes and signaled the bartender to replenish her beer.  

"You look like you're having tons of fun."  A voice close by, almost too close, startled Caroline and she glanced over her shoulder to search for the culprit.  An attractive, well-dressed, muscular guy had taken the seat next to her and he nodded in her direction with a smooth smile.  He looked vaguely familiar but Caroline couldn't place the inkling of memory in the back of her mind.

"That obvious, huh?"  Caroline thanked the bartender for her fresh beer and took a long drink.  "I'm not much of an actress."

"You don't look like an actress at all," the stranger replied, and Caroline shrugged. 

"Well, that's because I'm not.  I'm just a lowly assistant."  Her sarcasm held a bitter taste in her mouth, and the man chuckled.

"Who do you work for?"

"JC Chasez."  She tried to restrain her eye roll as she repeated her boss' name.  The man nodded and smiled.

"Not a bad deal.  JC's a great guy."

"Yeah, he's super."

The man politely overlooked her dry tone and offered his hand.  "I'm Mario."

Caroline shook it, noticing derisively how soft his hands were.  "Caroline."

"Nice to meet you."  At least he was friendly enough, and she had something to take her mind off of watching the clock behind the bar.  "How long have you worked for JC?"

"About a week.  So...the jury's still out."  Her alcohol intake was loosening her tongue a bit, and Caroline mentally berated herself.  "I mean...well, you know what I mean."

Mario smiled.  "He's had a few assistants since I've known him, yeah."

They chatted idly for a few minutes about unimportant things, such as the weather and the basketball game that was on the TV behind the bar.  He didn't say anything or brag directly in a way that made Caroline assume he was famous, despite his  celebrity hands, so she relaxed around him, somewhat glad to finally have someone to talk to.

Eventually though, someone more important came around, and Mario excused himself, but not after a polite goodbye. 

"It was nice talking with you, Caroline," he said genuinely.  "Maybe I'll see you around."

"Maybe."  She waved and finished off her beer as he walked away, deciding to make it her last.  She'd nearly said some fairly incriminating things about her boss, and it was probably time to call it quits.

"Look at you, hobnobbing away."  As if he'd heard her thoughts, JC appeared on the other side of her, empty glass in hand.  He abandoned it on the bar and gave her a knowing look. 

"What?"

JC nodded in the direction of a retreating Mario.  "Do you know who you were just talking to?"

"Mario."

"Mario Lopez," JC corrected, and Caroline paused, trying to place the name in her memory.  The alcohol slowed things down considerably, but JC waited, watching her expression closely.  Suddenly, she gasped.

"A.C. Slater?  Holy shit."

JC chuckled loudly at her naiveté.  "You're good to have around for a laugh, Caroline."

She was too busy ruminating over the fact that she'd just held a conversation with the former star of one of her favorite 80's shows of all time to register his rudeness.  "Wow."

JC tugged on her arm to return her attention to himself.  "You ready to get out of here or what?"

Caroline frowned, processing his question slowly.  "Now?"

"Yeah."  JC glanced at his watch.  "It's 8:30.  If traffic's okay, we can make it to North Hollywood in about ten minutes."

Caroline pushed her empty beer bottle aside and turned sideways in her barstool.  The thought of literally walking into Brandon's Troubadour show with a former member of NSYNC was jarring enough to sober her up quickly.  "JC.  You don't have to go.  I can get a cab."

Again that blank, inexpressive stare.  "I want to go."

Caroline blinked.  "Why?"

"Because I'm bored and I want to hear your boyfriend's band."  He cocked his head at her.  "Good enough?  Come on."

He left little room for argument and Caroline found herself accompanying him out of the party reluctantly. 

It was 8:35 by the time they arrived at the Troubadour.  After JC complained about the lack of valet and worried about leaving his car parked along Santa Monica Boulevard unattended, they finally made it to the door at 8:40.  Caroline quickened her steps as they approached, already hearing the music from the sidewalk.  Knowing their basic set list by heart, she could tell they were nearly done. 

The man at the door had run security for a couple other shows the guys had played at, and he recognized Caroline.

"Hey, how's it goin'?" he greeted, pulling the rope aside for her.  "Thought you'd be inside already."

"Yeah, I got...hung up."  Caroline glanced over her shoulder at JC, who was a few steps behind, taking his time.  "He's with me."

The door guy nodded and waved them both in.  A few other familiar faces smiled and greeted Caroline as they entered and made for the bar area.  Caroline nudged her way through throngs of people to make her way to the banister overlooking the main floor.  Overall, the turnout was amazing - the place was packed - and she smiled in spite of herself, nodding her head along with the beat of the song they were finishing up. 

As always, it was exhilarating for her to see Brandon onstage, in his element.  There was nowhere else he fit better, and it showed.  Perhaps it was because she'd spent so long watching him struggle through a life he didn't want to lead...now, he was content and she felt fulfilled just watching him do what he loved.  As disappointed as she was to have missed almost the entire set, her frustrating night seemed to fade away as she leaned against the railing and watched them.

"They don't even have a coat check here?"  JC had caught up to her, and Caroline jumped at his voice in her ear.  She'd almost forgotten he was with her. 

"No.  You'll just have to hold it," she replied, raising her voice as the song ended and the venue filled with applause.  JC shrugged out of his wool coat and draped it over the railing carefully. 

Ignoring his obvious discomfort, Caroline tuned back in to the action onstage as Brandon addressed the crowd through his microphone.

"Hey, I hope you guys have enjoyed the show tonight.  We're finishing up, but we got one more song for you."  He held up his hand against the light and squinted out into the crowd.  "This last song we're gonna play is for somebody very specific.  She might be here, if her asshole boss let her off the hook for the night." 

The crowd laughed and Caroline felt her cheeks flush.  She didn't dare look at JC. 

"Anyway, I know this is probably going to destroy a lot of my cred as a rock and roll superstar, but...I'm in love with this girl and I wrote this song for her."  Caroline could see Brandon's blush from the stage as several audience members issued a collective aww.  "If she's here, she knows who she is."

The band launched into the opening notes of "Wish You Were Here", and Caroline rested her chin in her hand, the warm feeling in the pit of her stomach spreading out through the rest of her body in a slow, comfortable way.  She could feel JC at her elbow and the other people in the building pushing and moving around her, but in her heart, nothing else existed but the song and the man on stage singing it for her.

When they were finished, the band exited to enormous applause.  Caroline joined in and was surprised to see JC clapping slowly as well. 

Once the noise had died down considerably, he turned to her with a smug expression.  Caroline started rolling her eyes before he even opened his mouth. 

"So, I'm the asshole boss?"

"He was just messing around."

JC loosened his tie.  "They're pretty good.  They aren't signed?"

Caroline cocked her head.  "No, but don't get any sneaky ideas.  They won't take handouts."

"Whoa, pump the brakes," he urged, holding up his hands.  "I wasn't suggesting anything.  Just asking."

Caroline turned away from him and chewed on the inside of her cheek as she scanned the room for a familiar face.  All she wanted to do was find Brandon.  Maybe now that they show was officially over, JC would just leave.  It was clear this wasn't his idea of a fun Friday night, anyway.

To her disappointment, his next words inferred the opposite.  "I'm going to get a drink.  Want anything?"

"Just a Coke," Caroline replied, knowing she didn't want to drink any more.  JC quirked an eyebrow but didn't comment.

She stood by herself at the banister for awhile, drumming her fingers against the chipped wood and scanning the main floor below as some people flooded out and some lingered, interested in the next band setting up onstage.  She cursed Brandon again for not having a cell phone. 

"Here."  A highball glass plunked down in front of her as JC returned, one of his own in hand.  "The bartender wouldn't give me straight Coke.  Sorry."

Caroline glared at him, but took a quick gulp of the drink anyway.  The undertone of whiskey burned her throat on the way down, mixing pleasurably with the bubbly sweetness of soda.  

"You can take off, if you want," Caroline hinted, setting her glass down carefully.  JC turned and leaned his back against the railing as he sipped at his own cocktail. 

"I buy you a drink and now you're trying to get rid of me?" 

Caroline shifted her weight.  She would gladly fork over the seven dollars he'd paid for the drink she hadn't even wanted if it meant he left before Brandon tracked them down.  The longer JC stood there, looking more than completely out of place in his expensive suit, the more anxious Caroline became.

She had just taken another long gulp of her drink when a hand brushed her shoulder.  She wouldn't have noticed it at all, but the touch was as distinct as it always was.  She set her glass down and turned to see Brandon standing a couple feet away, hands in his pockets, smiling at her.

"You made it," he said, and Caroline sighed with relief, stepping into his waiting embrace. 

"God, finally."  She wrapped her arms tightly around his neck.  "You did great.  I'm proud of you."

"Thanks, babe."  Brandon kissed her cheek as she pulled away, noticing JC for the first time.  Caroline quickly gestured between them as a means of introduction.

"Brandon, this is JC.  JC, Brandon."

They shook hands.  "Nice to meet you," JC said politely, and Brandon nodded, returning his hands to his pockets. 

"You, too."  He paused.  "I like your suit."

JC cleared his throat.  "Thanks.  I liked your set.  What we saw of it, anyway.  You guys are good."

Brandon leaned against the railing, leaving Caroline standing awkwardly in between them.  Her boyfriend and her boss, like night and day in nearly every way possible.  "Thanks, man.  I appreciate it."

The tension between them was very slight, but obvious.  Caroline took another sip of her drink. 

"Gotta say I'm surprised to see the both of you here," Brandon noted, motioning between them.  "Dave told me you had something else come up."

Caroline opened her mouth to admit her snafu of overlooking the schedule, but JC interrupted her.  "Yeah, I had to spring this on Caroline last minute.  She was a trooper though."  He shot her a pointed glance and Caroline managed a weak smile. 

"It wasn't a big deal," she assured.  "Just some party."

"Nothing this important," JC added, and his sarcasm was barely detectable, but didn't go unnoticed by Brandon. 

"I just wouldn't picture something like this to be your...scene."  Brandon shrugged.  "I guess Caroline roped you into it." 

Caroline widened her eyes at Brandon slightly, but he just rubbed her shoulder.  JC glanced at his watch quickly before returning his gaze to Brandon.

"You guys ever record?" 

Brandon raised his eyebrows at JC's quick subject change.  "We've done a bit, here and there.  Not professionally, but Carver, our DJ, has a small set up in his garage.  Probably nothing compared to what you have at your disposal, of course."

JC finished off the last of his drink with a nod.  "I'm getting a refill.  Either of you want anything?" 

Brandon shook his head and Caroline felt her tense shoulders relax as JC left them alone. 

"Jesus, Brandon," she breathed, and he laughed. 

"What?  He started it."

"Come on.  You're the one that said I like your suit."

"It's a nice suit!" Brandon exclaimed, and Caroline glared at him.  "Okay, okay.  It's just...weird that he's here.  Right?"

"I guess, but can you stop being an asshole?" she asked.  "I mean, he is still my boss.  And he was cool about leaving the party early and driving all the way over here."

Brandon took a sip of the bottle of water he was holding and nodded, capitulate.  "Alright, alright.  I'll play nice."  He wrapped an arm around her neck and pulled her against him.  His t-shirt was slightly damp with sweat and his skin was hot against hers.  "I'm just glad you're here...even if you did bring a pop star douchebag as your date."

Caroline hit him in the stomach as he laughed.   "Okay.  That was the last one, promise."  He pressed a kiss to her temple.  "It was a good show, Caroline.  I wish you'd been here for the whole thing."

"Me, too," Caroline admitted, feeling disappointed again.  "I'm sorry."

"Hey, it's not your fault."  He tucked a piece of hair behind her ear.  "You look nice, by the way.  I like that dress."

"Thanks."

"How come you never usually get this fancy for these things?"  Brandon asked, feigning suspicion, and Caroline rolled her eyes.

"Oh, God, you'll never believe who I met tonight!" she exclaimed suddenly, seizing a handful of Brandon's t-shirt.  She didn't wait for him to guess.  "A.C. Slater!"

Brandon frowned.  "Like, from Saved by the Bell?"

"Yes!"

"No shit."  He smiled, looking impressed.  "That's great.  I guess the night wasn't a total waste after all."

JC returned then, fresh drink in hand.  A few people nearby had started to stare at him, whether it was because of his sorta-celebrity status or his Armani suit, Caroline wasn't sure.

"Hey man," Brandon started, holding a hand out towards him as if it were a peace offering.  "I wanted to say thanks for getting Caroline over here tonight.  You didn't have to do that."

JC shrugged.  "Not a big deal.  I wanted to hear you guys."

"Yeah?"  Brandon kept his arm around Caroline's neck as he glanced down at her.  "She's not bragging about us or anything, is she?"

JC chuckled.  "Nothing too extreme.  Look," he set his drink down and pulled a card out of his pocket, similar to the one he'd given Caroline the day they'd met, "if you, or any of the guys you play with, are ever interested in recording anything...give me a call."  He handed Brandon the card and shrugged again.  "Don't think of it as a handout.  Just business."

Brandon eyed the card suspiciously but slipped it in his pocket nonetheless. 

"Alright.  Thanks."

An awkward moment of silence descended over them.  JC set his glass down and picked up his coat.

"Well, I think I'm taking off.  Nice meeting you."  He and Brandon shook hands again, and JC nodded at Caroline.  "See you Monday."

And then he was gone.

Caroline relaxed against Brandon, picking up her glass for another sip.  He eyed her carefully as she drank.

"How much have you had to drink tonight?" he asked when she was finished, and Caroline shrugged, feeling embarrassed. 

"A couple beers earlier, and now this."  She shrugged again and Brandon managed a half smile, pushing her glass not so subtly to the side.

"Well, are you sober enough to hear some more good news?"  At her emphatic nod, he continued.  "The promoter that booked us for this show was impressed, I guess.  He has a few spots coming up around town in the next couple of months.  He may want us to play an opening slot at the Wiltern."

Caroline gripped Brandon's hand.  "Are you kidding?  That's amazing." 

"Yeah, we'll just have to wait and see how things work out."  Brandon threaded his fingers through hers and looked down at their conjoined hands.  "Leanna is due next month, so Jake may be out of commission for awhile."

Leanna was their drummer Jake's wife, and she was heavily pregnant with their first child.  Caroline nodded in understanding.  "That's still a great opportunity for you guys." 

"It is, yeah."  Brandon stifled a yawn and nodded at someone who walked by and congratulated him on a good show.  "Hey, you ready to get out of here and go home?" 

Caroline tugged on the hem of his t-shirt, amused.  "We used to stay out all night after these things.  It's not even 10:00."

Brandon shrugged.  "I'm getting old.  Pretty sure everyone else is gone already," he said, referring to the rest of the band members.  "All I wanna do is go home and watch some crappy Lifetime movie in bed with you.  Maybe get you outta that dress."  To emphasis his point, he leaned down and placed a kiss on her bare shoulder.  "Or, if you want to, we can stay here.  Watch this band that's probably better way than we were.  You can drink more.  And then we can pour ourselves into bed around 2 am, and you can enjoy feeling like shit tomorrow morning."

Caroline pushed him away.  "Okay, Mr. Holier Than Thou. "

Brandon smirked, picking up her jacket and helping her slip it on.  "You know you like it.  Just think about how warm and comfortable bed will be right about now.  We can sleep in tomorrow..."

"Okay, okay.  I'm sold.  Let's go."  Caroline slipped her hand in his, the same familiar fit that was always a comfort. 

 

chapter 5 by rebeccan
Author's Notes:
Note: Just wanted to say thanks for the reviews thus far, and if you guys are reading and enjoying the story (or not enjoying it), please review and let me know! I love constructive criticism, especially since I'm trying to create a different sort of characterization of JC here. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Three weeks later, Caroline finally felt like her life had started to adapt itself to the task of being JC's assistant.

Kevin had even called and told her personally that JC was incredibly pleased with her.

"JC says you're the best he's had yet," he'd assured her.  "So don't fall off the wagon now, because at this point, it seems you've ruined every other assistant for him from now on. "

Caroline didn't think she was close to falling off any wagons anytime soon, but it would have been nice to hear it directly from JC for once.  She finally felt like she had a good handle on the way he liked things, and though she consistently seemed to surprise him with her motivation to be proactive, he always remained the same - bored and impassive towards her in general.  Caroline could tell when he tried to throw her curveballs, but she was close to mastering the art of absorbing them in with the rest of the routine effortlessly.

The weekends were a welcome reprise, for the most part.  Though Brandon still worked Saturdays, at least they had Sundays together to decompress and just be.  However, Caroline had a sneaking suspicion that Brandon was growing weary of JC even from afar.

"Why does this need to be here?"  he'd asked about the copy of JC's schedule she'd affixed to their own refrigerator.  "I don't want to look at all the bullshit promotional crap this guy has to do.  What the hell is a CosmoGirl Webisode interview?  Are those even real words?"

The truth was, Caroline had brought the schedule home for a reason.  It seemed that when she was missing from his home for a couple of days, JC's world tended to fall apart.  He'd started calling her regularly on Friday nights and Saturdays, asking her where she'd left his dry cleaning or if he had something pressing coming up because he was thinking about flying to Aruba for a week.  His questions were increasingly useless and unimportant, and incredibly annoying when they came at the most inopportune times - once he'd called while Caroline and Brandon were fully ensconced in some very compromising positions under the covers.  Caroline had attempted to ignore the call, but JC kept calling back until she finally slipped out of bed to answer.  Brandon had given her the silent treatment for a full twenty-four hours after that.

In fact, JC's constant communications had grown so frequent that Caroline had arrived to work one morning to find a slim black Blackberry box sitting on her desktop.  She'd set it aside, thinking that maybe JC had left it there on accident, when he flitted into her office to demand how she liked her new phone.

"This is for me?" she'd asked, and JC nodded, rolling his eyes. 

"Why else would it be on your desk?"  He'd opened the box with a practiced quickness and ran her through all of the features of the ridiculous gadget, even showing her how to input his schedule directly into the phone itself. 

"It's on my plan," he'd assured her.  "Now you can get rid of that ancient little flip phone you have."

Caroline hadn't minded her old cell phone, but she had to admit that the Blackberry was fun.  She'd even caught Brandon examining it one time, though he'd denied it vehemently and launched into another tirade about why it was totally unnecessary for JC to be paying for her phone plan.

Another part of Caroline's new routine involved getting to JC's at 8:00 on the dot.  She found it easier to get started on the day when he wasn't already up and nagging at her about something.  Additionally, she'd taken on the task of making coffee herself so that she could always have the first cup of a fresh pot, rather than the dregs of whatever JC had left over.

On this particular Wednesday morning, Caroline had only half-noted the additional car in the drive.  She had become used to greeting JC's one-night stands on their walks of shame every so often, but she couldn't help but notice that this car wasn't shiny and new.  Instead, it was a tan-colored Toyota Camry with a sizeable dent in the back bumper.  Caroline shrugged it off on her way up the front steps.  Maybe JC was slumming it for fun.

She followed her usual procedure flawlessly, closing the massive front door behind her and pausing to check for any new messages on JC's personal house phone in the foyer.  The only person who seemed to call and leave messages there was his mom.  At this point, Caroline had spoken to her personally several times and she seemed like a humble, kind lady.  She was having trouble reconciling JC to her biologically, but Caroline knew that many would say the same about her own mother for different reasons.

The sound of muffled curses came from the kitchen, and Caroline sighed, hoping JC wasn't having one of his "uber-productive" days, as he called them.  Usually they consisted of him staying up all night in the studio, drinking two full pots of coffee before 7 am, and then being wired all day.  They may have been "uber-productive" for him, but for Caroline they were anything but.  She'd quickly learned that having JC literally buzzing around the house all day was completely counterproductive to her getting anything done at all.

Instead of JC, Caroline found a young guy with a blond buzz cut standing in front of the coffee machine, the espresso tamper in one hand and the other on his forehead, looking distressed.  Caroline cleared her throat and he whirled to look at her.

"Hi," she greeted, only slightly unsure.  Various people were in and out of JC's house all the time, so this wasn't too strange.  Although this guy didn't look anything like JC's usual crowd of stars and starfuckers. 

"Oh.  Hi."  The man motioned at the coffee machine helplessly.  "Look, I know you're probably leaving, but do you happen to have any idea how to work this thing?"

Caroline frowned and took a step into the kitchen, setting her bag down on the counter.  "Why would I be leaving?  I just got here."

The man matched her frown.  "For what?"

"For work."

The man's frowned deepened even more and he glanced at his watch.  "This early?  Jesus, Josh.  Ew."

Caroline blinked.  "Excuse me?"

Before the man could respond, JC appeared in the far doorway of the kitchen, slipping his phone into his pocket.  Caroline wasn't surprised to see him already dressed and ready for the day, she knew he had a consult downtown with some MTV producers that afternoon. 

"Oh, good.  You two met."  JC made a beeline for the fridge, sighing heavily when its usual contents stared back at him  "Damn it, I really need to get some food in here.  Caroline, can you make a list?"

"A list of what?" Caroline asked, already pulling her Blackberry out. 

"I don't know.  Groceries.  Stuff normal people eat."  JC pulled out a takeout container of old Chinese food that Caroline was sure had been in there for at least two weeks.  Throughout their exchange, the young man by the coffee machine stared openly at Caroline. 

"She does your shopping?" he asked.  JC pulled a fork out of a drawer and sat down at the island. 

"Uh, yeah.  She does whatever I want her to," he announced smugly.  For his tone of voice alone, Caroline kept her mouth shut as JC took a big bite of his noodles, smiling when he promptly spit them out.

"Except tell you how old those leftovers were," she pointed out in a singsong voice, and JC scowled. 

"Wow," the man echoed, his expression still a mixture of disgust and awe.  JC set his fork down and pushed the takeout container aside. 

"Tyler, what is your problem?  Caroline's my assistant, it's what assistants do."

Tyler straightened and cocked his head.  "This is Caroline?  This is your assistant?"

Caroline watched as JC nodded slowly, as if speaking to someone mentally impaired.  "Who did you think she was?"

Tyler cleared his throat and looked away, shrugging at the coffee machine.  A second later, Caroline gasped as the full implications of his silence hit her.

"Oh, God.  You thought I was...you thought we were..."  She motioned towards JC and shivered in revulsion.  "Oh, gross.  Yuck.  No, no way.  That's...ew."

Tyler chuckled and JC, a bit slow on the uptake, observed their exchange quietly.  "Wait, what?"

Tyler extended his hand towards Caroline.  "I'm JC's brother.  Sorry about that, I'm just...kind of used to assuming with Rico Suave over here."

Caroline shook his hand.  "Not a problem.  I can make some coffee, if you want." 

Tyler handed her the espresso tamper in relief.  "Please."

JC seemed to have finally worked out their conversation and was back to scowling.  "Fuck you guys."

Caroline just laughed as she got out the coffee filters.  Tyler leaned against the counter and laughed, too.

"In my defense, didn't you usually sleep with all of your old assistants?"  Tyler asked.

"Not all of them," JC replied.  "Not the fat one."

Caroline gasped, hitting the button that would start the hot water flowing through the machine to eventually brew out coffee that tasted the same as Folgers but cost twice as much to make.  "You pig."

Tyler shook his head, no longer laughing.  "Dude."

JC threw up his hands.  "What?  Just being honest."  He shrugged.  "Anyway, I stopped doing that because they usually thought I was their boyfriend afterwards and stopped working as hard."

Affronted, Caroline picked up her bag, pausing only to put her lunch in the fridge before heading out of the room.  She could do without coffee right away if it meant getting away from JC in asshole mode.  She half-heard him calling after her on her way into the office but ignored it.

Only an hour had passed before JC tracked her down.  Caroline kept her eyes on the monitor in front of her as she composed an email to JC's publicist.  JC leaned against the doorjamb, eating something crunchy, and waited until she finally looked up at him to speak.

"You almost ready?" was all he asked, and Caroline stared at him blankly.  "For the meeting."

"I'm not going with you," she said, glancing at the schedule for clarification although she knew it by heart.  "It's not highlighted.  And it's not until 11, so I don't know why you're leaving so early."

"I'm leaving early because the location was changed to North Hollywood," JC replied, taking another bite of the apple in his hand.  Caroline frowned. 

"That wasn't run by me."

"I know.  They called here this morning."

"And you actually answered the phone?"

"Yep.  Aren't you proud?"  JC grinned through another bite of his apple and Caroline's frown deepened.

"Where did you get that apple?"

JC faltered for only a moment.  "Mariella gave it to me."

Mariella was JC's housekeeper who came on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays.  Caroline crossed her arms over her waist. 

"Mariella's not here today.  JC, where did you get that apple?" 

Suddenly very interested in a speck of lint on his button-up shirt, JC replied, "I found it."

"Where did you find it?"

"In your lunch bag."

Caroline threw up her arms and turned back to the monitor to finish and send her email.

"I was hungry," JC pointed out, taking a couple steps into the room.  "And I don't have any food."

"You could have asked," Caroline replied, enunciating each word carefully to keep her tone even.  As annoyed as she was at JC, she wasn't quite ready to lose her cool in front of him yet.

"Sorry.  I'll buy you a new one.  I'll buy you a whole bag of new ones, but you have to come with me to this meeting."  JC aimed and tossed the apple core in the wastebasket across the room, pumping his fist when he made the shot.  "You can help me at the grocery store after."

Caroline sighed, glancing down at her cluttered desktop.  "I have a lot of work to do here."

"Come on.  It'll be fun."  JC stood across from her desk, not looking like he was anywhere near giving up.  Caroline pressed her lips together and stood, reaching for her purse.  She didn't think "fun" was an accurate depiction at all, but what option did she have?

Tyler was camped out on the couch, a large, heavy-looking book in his lap.  He waved as they passed by.

"I didn't know you had a brother," Caroline remarked casually as she followed JC out to the garage. 

JC nodded, pausing at a lockbox that Caroline knew held a plethora of car keys.  "I have a sister, too.  They both live in DC.  Tyler's in his last year of law school, so he doesn't make it out here a lot."

Caroline flinched when JC tossed her a set of keys and fumbled them in her hands. 

"You drive," he announced, making his way past his everyday Jeep to a shiny, two-door Mercedes.  Caroline stared. 

"Uh, no.  No way."

JC leaned against the passenger door with a sigh.  "Don't be a baby."

Caroline stared at the car in horror, afraid to even begin to imagine how much it would cost her to replace if anything went wrong.  "Why don't we take the Jeep?  I can drive the Jeep."

"I doubt that.  It's a stick."  Looking haughty, JC motioned to the sports car again.  "Most people would die to drive this car.  You should be thanking me.  Unlock it."

Caroline fumbled with the key again as she pressed the tiny button that released the locks on the car doors with a click.  JC climbed in the passenger side, and Caroline remained motionless, staring at the car.  She actually did know how to drive stick, but JC seemed past the point of arguing.  Finally, he honked the horn from inside, startling her.

You can do this, Caroline thought.  It's just a car.  If anything happens, it's JC's fault for forcing you into it, anyway. 

Caroline climbed in the car gingerly, the soft leather supple beneath her hands.  The seat was adjusted for someone taller than her, probably JC himself, and she sat motionless in the driver's side, dumbfounded. 

"There's a handle on the left hand side," JC instructed, tapping at something on his phone.

Caroline found the handle and adjusted the seat carefully until she felt marginally more comfortable.  From the inside, the car wasn't much different than any other car.  She just had to forget what it was, that was all. 

Making it out of the garage, down the driveway, and out of JC's sparsely populated neighborhood wasn't much of a problem.  It wasn't until they got into downtown traffic that Caroline found herself clenching the wheel more tightly.  Though she had GPS to aid her, the trip to the MTV offices in North Hollywood consisted of the most tension-filled forty-five minutes that Caroline had ever experienced in her life.  JC was no help, on his phone most of the time, and didn't look up until Caroline pulled shakily into a parking space outside of the building.

"Nice.  You did it."  He winked at her and checked his reflection in the rearview mirror before slipping out of the car.  Caroline sat in the driver's seat for a few minutes, carefully removing her aching hands from the steering wheel and taking a few deep, calming breaths. 

As it turned out, she had a whole ninety minutes to catch her breath as the MTV producers requested a "closed door" meeting, which was really a polite way of saying she wasn't welcome.  Caroline sat in an overstuffed chair in the lobby and tried to decompress from the ride.  At first thankful for the break, once regaining her bearings, she became anxious thinking about the pile of work she had left to do back at JC's house.  Caroline answered emails and did what she could from her Blackberry, but she kept tabs on the time and watched the double doors that led to the conference room, her tapping foot keeping time with the ticking clock.

Finally, just as Caroline's stomach started to rumble and she thought longingly about her lunch in the fridge, the doors swung open and JC emerged.  Caroline stood and waited politely for him to say his goodbyes to the big wigs before heading out to the elevator with him.

"How'd it go?" she asked, not really caring about the answer and pressing the button for the lobby quickly.  Unfortunately, someone called to hold it, and JC stuck his arm out, preventing the doors from sliding closed.  A beautiful curvy redhead slipped into the cubicle with them, beaming her thanks at JC, who returned the grin easily.  Caroline rolled her eyes and smacked the door close button with a sigh.

"It was fine," JC replied to her, finally tearing his eyes away from the female.  "We're due to start filming again in March.  They'll CC you on the details to Kevin."  Caroline nodded and opened her mouth to enquire about the tentative schedule when she was interrupted by their companion.

"Excuse me, but...are you JC Chasez?" the curvy woman questioned and JC turned to her, all smiles.

"Sure am."

The woman's hand fluttered up to her collarbone and her cheeks flushed.  "Oh, wow.  I'm a big fan."

Caroline leaned against the wall of the elevator, watching the floors descend on the digital display as JC moved closer to the woman.  By the time they reached the lobby, he'd already acquired her name and phone number.

"'Bye, honey," he called over his shoulder as they parted ways with the woman (aptly named Candace...Candy for short) in the downstairs lobby, and Caroline was beginning to get a headache from rolling her eyes so much.

"Can you drive now?" she asked, but JC shook his head before she could finish asking the question. 

"I don't like to text and drive."  He waved his phone at her.  "I just got the digits, Caroline.  Gotta plant some seeds."

"Already?  Haven't you ever heard of playing hard to get?"  She slid behind the driver's seat without further complaint, more in a hurry just to get back to the piles of work waiting for her.  JC shook his head, tapping furiously into his own Blackberry. 

"Haven't you ever heard of getting famous and not needing to?"  He glanced at her suddenly, expression suddenly wary.  "Maybe I better quit while I'm ahead.  Don't want you to get all offended on me again."

Caroline resisted another eye roll as she pulled out of her parking space using the car's cool little backup camera.  "Well, what you said was offensive."

"My apologies," JC responded, not sounding very sorry at all.  "Now.  Grocery time." 

Caroline sighed.  "Why don't you just tell me what you want and I'll stop by somewhere on my way in tomorrow?"

"Nope.  Now."  JC finished his texting and slipped the phone into the front pocket of his jeans.  "Where do you like to shop?"

"Whole Foods, usually."

"How trendy of you.  Let's go."

Using the GPS to find the nearest market, JC took a more active interest in Caroline's navigational skills this time.  Unfortunately, he remained unhelpful and showed his true colors as the worst backseat driver of all time. 

"You forgot your signal," he pointed out as Caroline pulled into the Whole Foods parking lot. 

"Excuse me for the extreme desire to get out of this vehicle as quickly as possible."  Caroline found the nearest parking spot and shut the car off.  Her hunger was getting to her; she was getting cranky, and her insufferable companion wasn't helping one bit. 

JC let her take control of the cart in the store, choosing instead to be the captain of their trip, leading the way down the aisles and being humiliatingly loud about asking her where things were. 

"What the hell is this?" he demanded, holding up a head of kohlrabi.  A few nearby shoppers glanced in their direction and Caroline rubbed her forehead. 

"Nothing you would like.  No, we're not getting that.  Put it back," she urged, but he'd already slipped it in a bag and tossed it in their cart.  "I thought you only liked processed food."

"I'm turning over a new leaf."  JC stared pointedly at her flushed face.  "Am I embarrassing you, Caroline?"

"No," she lied.  "What else do you want?  I'm hungry."

"Why didn't you say so?"  JC made a show of putting several apples in a bag.  "I'll buy you lunch, since I tainted the one you brought with you today."

"That's okay," Caroline insisted.  "There's plenty left for me.  Let's just go back to the house, please."

"What is this?  You don't want to be seen with me?"  JC asked.

"I'm already being seen with you," she said.  "There's just...not a lot of places I can eat out.  At least not places you probably like."

"Ah, that's right.  A vegan."  JC pulled the cart in the direction of the checkout lanes.  "I think we can find somewhere suitable."  Once they were in line, he pulled out his phone and started tapping away.  "How about Lotus?  It has great reviews."

Caroline shrugged; she lived in downtown LA, not the artsy districts of NoHo.  "I don't know, JC."

"Lotus is wonderful," the apparently nosy Whole Foods employee at the checkout counter interjected.  "I would absolutely recommend it." 

"Oh yeah?"  JC loaded the last of the food on the belt and pulled out his credit card.  "Good vegan food?  Because she's a real vegan."  He pointed at Caroline and she resisted to urge to hide her face. 

"Completely vegan," the clerk assured JC.  "You'll love it."

"Great.  It's settled then."  JC smiled triumphantly at Caroline who loaded the grocery bags into the cart without a word.

Caroline didn't really make a habit of frequenting any restaurants on a regular basis.  It worked out well because she was so careful about what she ate, and Brandon didn't like to try new things.  They went to the noodle house, or the deli down the street from their apartment, and that was about it. Caroline was sure JC would have accused her of leading a life of monotony, but it was her monotony, and she liked it.  It was familiar.  Thus she couldn't help but feel nervous when they arrived at Lotus. 

The restaurant was housed in a dumpy little green building off Vineland Ave, right next to an art gallery, of course.  JC's flashy car looked profoundly out of place on the street parking, next to all of the Volvo station wagons and hybrid cars.  JC led the way inside and asked the hostess for a table on the patio.  Caroline waited behind him, somewhat relieved that they were at a place where no one was very likely to notice him.

"What do you think?" JC asked, once they were seated under an umbrella, menus in front of them.  "Can you dig it?"

Caroline tapped her fingers on the menu and thought wistfully of the vegetable wrap she'd packed for lunch, now miles away up in the Hollywood hills.  "Yeah, sure."

The waitress had tan skin and dreadlocks pulled up into a mass on her head.  "What can I get you guys?"

Caroline found a raw veggie wrap on the menu and ordered it, along with a glass of water.  JC rested his chin in his hand and smiled up at the waitress.  "I'd really just love a cheeseburger."

The waitress' smile was only slightly placating.  "How about the cowboy burger?  It's wheat meat sautéed in a yummy garlic cilantro sauce.  I can add some soy cheese for you."

Before Caroline could warn JC away from it, he nodded jovially.  "Sounds great.  With French fries, please."

The waitress took their menus.  "How about sweet potato fries?"

"Even better."

The discomfort that Caroline felt at being at a restaurant like this with JC was slightly amended when their food arrived.  Her veggie wrap was remarkably similar to the one she had packed herself, if not better.  Alternately, JC's meal looked deceptively close to an actually cheeseburger.

"Finally.  I'm starving."  Caroline watched silently as JC picked up the burger and took a huge bite.  His face promptly fell and his eyes widened.  Caroline pressed her lips together to keep from smiling, but it didn't work.  She noticed a couple at the table across from them staring, and she hoped JC didn't decide to spit his food out.

To her relief, he swallowed, then picked up his glass of iced tea to guzzle nearly half of it down.

"What is this shit?"  He frowned down at the burger.  "This is what you eat?"

Caroline shrugged, taking another bite of her wrap, which she had to admit was quite delicious.  "Sometimes."

"Ugh."  JC picked up one of the sweet potato fries and put it in his mouth experimentally.  Apparently it passed, because he picked up another one right afterward.  "Why would you do that to yourself?  Meat tastes so good."

"I wouldn't know."

JC gaped at her.  "You're telling me you've never even tried it?  No beef?  Chicken?  Fish?"  Caroline shook her head to every option.  "Why?  That's crazy to me."

"I was essentially raised on a raw food diet," Caroline admitted, pausing to take a sip of water.  At JC's blank look, she clarified, "That means everything was uncooked.  Primarily vegetables and fruit."

"Why?"  JC asked again, polishing off the last of his fries. 

Caroline wondered why herself sometimes, but she didn't tell him that.  "My mom was...is kind of a hippie, I guess."

"So you've never gotten curious?" JC asked, leaning across the table towards her.  "You've never wanted to try even a bite of fried chicken?  Filet mignon?  Bacon?"

Caroline shook her head.  "It's all I know.  And I like it."

This was where she expected him to attack her life choices a little bit, but he said nothing.

JC asked for a box for the rest of his burger, claiming he would take it home to trick Tyler with.  Caroline got behind the driver's seat of the car again without argument, and maybe it was just satiating her appetite, but pulling out into traffic wasn't even stressful.  She even flipped on the radio when they stopped at an intersection, scanning through the stations idly.

Caroline didn't know a lot about pop radio, but she did know who Justin Timberlake was, and that he was a former bandmate of JC's.  When his song "Sexyback" came up over a station she paused on for a moment, she turned up the volume.

"This is probably more your speed," she said, and JC surprised her by rolling his eyes.

"Just because it's on Kiss FM doesn't mean I like it," he replied drily.  Caroline raised an eyebrow.

"But I thought...aren't you guys close?"  JC smirked.

"Me and Justin?  We were close.  Past tense."

Caroline opened her mouth to ask JC to elaborate when all of a sudden, the car's engine sputtered and died.  She panicked, letting go of the steering wheel with a gasp.

"I didn't do anything!" she insisted.  JC's arm shot across the car, grabbing onto the wheel as the car slowed down in the middle of traffic.  Already the driver behind them was laying on his horn.

"Calm down," he ordered, smacking the button that turned on the car's hazard lights.  "Put your hands back on the wheel."

His voice was authoritative but controlled, and Caroline obeyed his demands without question.  She glanced down, watching JC shift the car into neutral.

"Pull over as soon as you can," he instructed.  "I'll get out and push if I have to."

Caroline aimed the car for the first spot she saw and was able to maneuver it to the side of the road without any pushing needed.  She shifted the car into park and realized that a few tears had come out of her eyes in the terror of the moment.  She wiped them away quickly.  JC pretended not to notice.

Caroline stayed in her seat as JC got out and opened the hood of the car.  From her vantage point, all she could see was the top of his head and steam pouring off of the engine.  The urge to cry returned - her worst fear had come true.  She'd broken JC's car and now she was going to have to pay for it. Maybe he would even fire her.  Shit.

She rested her forehead against the steering wheel and allowed a few more tears to escape, but willed herself not to get hysterical.  She didn't look up until her door opened.

JC stood in front of her, arms crossed over his chest.  He looked so menacing that Caroline had to bite her tongue to avoid sobbing.  He was silent for a few moments, but when he spoke, his voice was alarmingly soft.

"Why are you crying?"

Caroline blinked up at him, a couple more fat tear drops falling off of her lashes.  "Because...because I broke your car."

JC sighed and uncrossed his arms, resting one on the roof of the car and crouching down slightly to look her in the eyes.  "Caroline, how could you have broken the car?  You didn't even do anything."

She shrugged, reaching up to wipe her eyes.  "I don't know."

"Well, I'm ninety-nine percent sure it wasn't your fault."  JC straightened up again.  "There's tissues in the glovebox."

Caroline reached over and pulled out a plastic wrapped packet of travel tissues before getting out of the car to join JC in front of the open hood.

"So, what happened?" she asked, trying to dry her eyes without smearing any more mascara than she already had.  JC shrugged.

"I have no fucking clue.  I don't know a damn thing about cars," he admitted.  Caroline stared blankly at the steaming engine for a few moments before the light bulb went on.

"I'll call Brandon," she said, and JC frowned.

"Why?"

"He's a mechanic.  He works at a garage.  He can send a tow truck."  The situation seemed suddenly lighter to Caroline, and she fumbled in her pocket for her phone.  "He'll know what's wrong.  He knows all about cars."

JC watched her dial the garage's number by memory.  "Your boyfriend's a mechanic?  I thought he was a musician."

"He is," Caroline said.  "But that doesn't pay the bills.  Well...not in everyone's case, anyway."

"Touché," JC muttered, kicking at a rock on the street.  Caroline turned away from him as Mike, one of Brandon's coworkers, answered the call.

"Carl's Full Service Garage.  Mike speaking."

"Hi, Mike, this is Caroline.  Is Brandon available?  It's kind of an emergency."

"Yeah, hold on."

Caroline watched JC circle the car a few times, muttering curses to himself. 

"Caroline?  What's wrong?  Are you okay?"  Brandon came over the line sounding frantic, and Caroline realized maybe emergency hadn't been the best choice of word.

"Yeah, babe, I'm fine.  It's actually more of a car emergency than anything else."

Brandon sighed on the other end.  "Okay.  What's the issue?  Did you run out of gas again?"

Caroline pursed her lips.  Would he never let her live anything down?  "No.  It's not my car.  It's JC's."

"Oh.  What's wrong with it?"

"We don't know." 

Brandon paused.  "Alright.  Where are you?"

"North Hollywood."  She winced, anticipating his response.  

"North Hollywood?  Jesus, Caroline." 

"I know, I know.  I'm sorry." 

"It would cost you about eighty bucks to get a tow truck out there from anywhere else."

Caroline shifted her weight.  He could be such an asshole sometimes.  "Well, maybe I should call somewhere closer, then."

"No, don't do that.  I've got something I'm working on here, but I'll send Mike with the truck."

"Thank you."

"Yeah.  What were you doing all the way out there, anyway?"

"JC had a meeting.  And then we got lunch," she added, feeling that it was going to come up later, anyway. 

"You got lunch?"  Brandon echoed.  Some commotion sounded in the background and he sighed.  "I gotta go.  Mike will be there in twenty minutes."

"Thanks," she said, but Brandon had already hung up.  He wasn't happy, that much was clear. 

"Well?"  JC stared at her expectantly, hands on his hips.  His gentle demeanor from earlier had all but disappeared, and now he looked sullen, like a little boy who'd been sent up to bed without dessert.

"Twenty minutes."  Caroline slipped her phone into her pocket and sat down on a set of steps nearby to wait.  JC remained standing, pacing the length of the car and kicking something every now and again.

Mike showed up and hitched the car in record time.  Caroline didn't miss the look on his face when he got a look at it for the first time.  He raised his eyebrows at Caroline but she just shrugged.  She sat in the middle seat in the bumpy tow truck, sliding on the ripped vinyl in between Mike and JC, who sulked and stared out the window the whole time.

Brandon strode out of the garage to meet them when they arrived.

"Hey."  He nodded coolly at JC and wiped his hands on a rag.  "So what happened?"

JC remained silent so Caroline replied.  "The engine just kind of...died.  While I was driving."

"You were driving?" Brandon asked.  At Caroline's nod, he raised an eyebrow and continued.  "Any strange noises?"

"No."

Brandon cleared his throat and glanced at an expressionless JC before addressing Caroline again.  "I'll have Mike pull it in and we'll take a look at it."  He motioned towards the waiting area as he moved past her.  "You know what to do."

The coldness Brandon was emanating gave Caroline the shivers despite the warmth of the midday.  JC made a beeline for the waiting area and collapsed onto one of the plastic chairs within, as if the day had taxed him completely.  Caroline lowered herself into another chair, purposefully leaving two empty ones between them.  She had to agree that the day had been incredibly long.  As she watched Brandon and Mike jack up JC's car on the other side of the glass, she realized that the night was probably going to be even longer.

JC stayed silent long enough that Caroline started to think that he had potentially fallen asleep, but she kept her focus on Brandon out in the main garage.  He and Mike huddled together over the open hood, pointing at different things and talking quietly.

Finally, Brandon made his way towards the waiting area, and Caroline sat up straighter, feeling inexplicably nervous.  The old door squealed on his way in, but she didn't dare look over at JC to see if he was awake.

"Well."  Brandon tossed the now dirty rag in his hands down on the front counter and leaned against the corner of it unceremoniously.  This time he looked directly at JC, and Caroline couldn't ignore the challenge in his gaze.  "When was the last time you changed the oil in the car?"

JC straightened up and shrugged one shoulder.  "I'm, uh...not sure."

Brandon shook his head, scoffing ever so lightly.  "You're lucky you didn't completely wreck the engine.  The only thing that saved you from throwing fifty grand down the tube is the low mileage.  The engine shut itself down when it started to overheat, but you burned out almost all of your spark plugs and the head gasket.  It's not gonna be cheap."

Caroline clenched her fingers in her lap and glanced at JC, who just nodded thoughtfully.  

"Since the car is an import, it'll take a few days to order parts," Brandon continued.  "We can take care of it here, or you can arrange to have it towed to a dealership.  Your choice."

JC stood, pulling out his phone.  "I'll leave it here.  I trust that it's in capable hands."

The tension in the room was almost tangible.  Without another word, JC slipped out the door on the opposite side of the waiting room, and Caroline let out the breath she didn't know she'd been holding.

She turned back to Brandon, but was surprised to see that he was already on his way back out to the garage, the squeaky glass door slamming shut behind him.  Swallowing her pride, Caroline followed.

He at least had the good grace to turn when she called his name.

"What's the deal?" she asked softly.  "I feel like you're angry with me and I don't totally understand why."

Brandon stared at her.  "What do you want me to say?"

Caroline sighed.  "I just want you to tell me what you're feeling."

A short, humorless laugh was her response.  "What I'm feeling?  Well, right now I'm feeling mostly annoyed that someone who could afford a car as nice as that one doesn't have the brains to change the oil every once and awhile.  And on top of that, I'm feeling a little frustrated that I have to fix said car for him, which won't exactly be easy."

"Just tell him to send it to the dealership then," Caroline said, but Brandon just glared at her. 

"You don't get it, do you?  I can't do that because the same asshole is my girlfriend's widely successful boss, who just happened to be taking her out to lunch when said incident occurred."  He punctuated his statement with a raise of his eyebrows, as if daring her to challenge his logic.  Caroline shook her head slowly.

"That's ridiculous.  What does that have to do with anything?"

Brandon rolled his eyes and turned away.  "Never mind.  I've got work."

"Brandon," Caroline started, but he'd already walked away, leaving her standing like an idiot in the middle of the garage.  Mike strolled past with a low whistle, eyes wide.  Caroline spun on her heel and stalked back into the waiting room, her head swimming with the deep amount of shit she was in.

JC was back inside when she returned.  "My insurance is sending a rental car over," he informed her, not looking up from the old Reader's Digest he was thumbing through.  "I think we'll call it a day once we get back."

Caroline didn't argue.

She got home two hours earlier than usual, well before Brandon, but as exhausted as she was, there was no time to rest.  Caroline called the noodle house, relieved to find that Brandon's friend and bandmate Jake was working, and put in an order for delivery.  She did her best to make sure the apartment was spic and span, and took the stairs three at a time to hurry down to their basement level storage space to search for a nice tablecloth.

By 5:30, she had just about every candle they owned lit all throughout the apartment, dinner set perfectly on the table, and she'd rustled up and put on Brandon's favorite outfit of hers, worn blue jeans and the black Queen t-shirt she'd been wearing the night they'd met.  6:00 came and went, and Caroline began to feel nervous.

At 7:25, the door to the apartment opened and Caroline jumped out of her seat on the couch.  The food had long gone cold and most of the candles had burned down considerably, but she forced a hopeful smile anyway as Brandon stepped inside. 

He glanced around, shrugging out of his jacket, and nodded at her slightly.  Caroline took a deep breath - she hadn't expected it to be that easy, after all.

"Hey," she greeted, smoothing her hands over her jeans.  "I was waiting for you."

"We had practice," Brandon replied.  "It's on the calendar."

He nodded in the direction of the fridge and Caroline felt her smile falter a bit.  "Oh.  I guess I forgot."

Brandon smirked and moved to head past her.  "Figures.  You pay more attention to his schedule than mine these days."

Caroline's shoulders sagged, but she wasn't ready to admit defeat quite yet.  "Brandon, wait.  Can we just talk this out?  Please?"

Brandon turned to face her, his expression unreadable.  "I don't know, Caroline.  Can we talk it out?  Again?"

Her hands clenched into worried fists.  What was he insinuating?  "Brandon, please.  You're...you're making me nervous."

He sighed, shaking his head.  "I don't know what you want to hear from me that I haven't already said.  This job...it's taking over your life.  First he buys you a phone, now he's taking you out on lunch dates?  It's a little too much to handle."

Caroline sank down to sit on the arm of the couch, flustered.  Brandon had never been the jealous type before, what was different?  Especially when the man in question was her boss, and someone she felt absolutely no attraction to, physical or otherwise.  "It wasn't...he's my boss, Brandon.  Nothing more.  He hasn't overstepped any boundaries, and neither have I.  He offered to buy me lunch, I tried to turn him down, but..." She shrugged helplessly.  "It happened, and if I'd have known it would upset you this much, I would never have done it.  I promise."

Brandon seemed to soften slightly, taking a few more steps back into the room.  "I'm not upset...not anymore.  It just makes me feel...uncomfortable."

Caroline nodded, reminding herself to hear him out.  If there was anything she'd learned from decades of watching her own parents fight, it was how to mediate an argument.  "Okay."

"And...I don't know."  Brandon sat down on the arm of the chair across from her.  "Inadequate, I guess.  He's a freaking famous pop star, with billions of dollars and a sick house and a bunch of cars."  He paused.  "And I'm just...me."

Caroline smiled.  "But I love just you.  Just you is all I've ever wanted."

Brandon nodded slowly.  "Yeah.  That's what I keep trying to tell myself."

Tentatively, Caroline stood up and closed the short distance between them.  "If you want me to quit, I will."

Brandon shook his head.  "I can't ask you to quit.  That's not fair."

"Baby, you can ask me to quit, because this," she motioned between them as she neared him, "is more important to me than any job.  I can find something else."

Brandon reached for her when she got close enough, pulling her into his arms and onto his lap.  "Something that pays as much?"

"Well, probably not," Caroline admitted, and he smiled, pressing a kiss to her forehead. 

"It's fine.  Just male insecurity."

"I didn't know that existed."

"It's pretty similar to the female version, just with more punching things."

Caroline laughed and wrapped her arms around his neck.  "This has been the shittiest day.  I missed you so much."

Brandon kissed the line of her jaw, then her lips, and Caroline felt every ounce of stress just seem to melt away. 

"I got dinner," she murmured against his mouth.  "But it's probably cold."

"We can heat it up," Brandon replied, then smiled.  "Later.  I need a shower.  How about you?"

Caroline had already taken a shower, but she couldn't find any reason at all to argue.

 

chapter 6 by rebeccan

Three weeks before America's Best Dance Crew was due to begin filming again, JC strode into Caroline's office, dropped a sheet of paper on her desk, and informed her that he was leaving for Maryland and would be gone for two weeks.

"What?"  Caroline picked up the itinerary he'd set down.  "But what about the rest of your calendar?"  She picked up the nearest copy and waved it at him.  "You have two weeks' worth of appointments and functions scheduled."

JC shrugged on his way out of the office.  "Cancel everything."

"What?!" Caroline repeated, panic creeping into her voice.  She pushed her chair back and hurried after JC.  "What do you mean, cancel everything?  How am I supposed to do that?"

"I don't know, Caroline.  Make it work."  JC paused to pick up his wallet from the narrow console table in the foyer.  "I leave tomorrow morning."

"JC, this is...this is ridiculous," she sputtered.  "You can't just pick up and leave like this, with no warning whatsoever.  Does Kevin know?"

Though he'd already pulled the front door open, JC slammed it shut again with a suddenness that made Caroline jump.  He turned to face her, tearing off his sunglasses to reveal bloodshot eyes and generous bags beneath them. 

"Allow me to correct you, Caroline.  I can just pick up and leave like this.  You know why?  You work for me."  The last statement wasn't quite shouted, but it was close enough.  Caroline could feel the intensity of his words reverberating through her body even from five feet away.  "I pay you to make this shit work, no matter how difficult or uncomfortable or impossible it is for you.  So I expect you to get what I want done, when I say it, without question.  Understood?"

Caroline stared at him, appraising her boss with a certain concern she'd never found herself feeling for him before.  While JC was somewhat of an enigma to her in general, and he wasn't exactly the most average person she'd ever met, Caroline was fairly sure he was a smart guy who had most of his life put together.  She'd never seen him this way - looking haggard and unkempt and just so thoroughly not handling life well.  She found her eyes trailing to his shoes.  She'd learned by now that JC always wore nice shoes when he was leaving the house, whether they were impeccably shined Dolce and Gabbana wingtips or spotless Puma sneakers.

Today, he had on the rattiest pair of old Nikes Caroline had ever seen. 

She swallowed hard and found JC's contemptuous gaze once more.  He was still waiting for her to respond and she forced herself to nod carefully.

"I understand."

"Peachy."  JC replaced his sunglasses and turned back to the door, wrenching it open and slamming it behind him with a force that seemed to rattle the entire façade of the house. 

Caroline stared at the closed door for a few moments, listening to the non-existent sounds in the silent house.  After a few moments, she returned to the office, her hands shaking.  She sat in her chair motionless for almost five full minutes before picking up the phone and calling Kevin.

"He's what?" Kevin demanded.  "For how long?"

"Going to Maryland.  For two weeks," Caroline repeated, her eyes scanning the itinerary JC had given her.  "And Kevin, I know this isn't my place to say, but..."

Kevin sighed heavily.  Caroline could practically see him in his office, rubbing his temples methodically.  "What, Caroline?"

"JC didn't...he didn't look good.  I don't know if something...happened, or what...but he looked like shit."

Kevin didn't say anything for a few long minutes. 

"Have you noticed anything specific?" he asked finally.  "Can you think of anything that might have set him off in the past few days?"

Caroline tapped her fingers on the desk and thought hard.  JC had been in and out of the studio all day Monday, he'd barely even had time to bother her.  Even over the weekend he'd been oddly quiet, phone-wise.  Caroline had only received one text from him on Friday night, asking where she'd put the phone number for the car service he used sometimes.

"No, Kevin, I really can't.  Nothing has seemed out of the ordinary until now."  Caroline found JC's departure time the following morning on the itinerary.  His flight was scheduled to leave at 9am the next morning. 

"Alright."  Kevin sighed.  "Well, if there's anything I've learned from working with celebrities, it's that they know better than the rest of us when something's off.  Maybe JC just needs to get away for awhile."

Caroline nodded but didn't say anything as she flipped through the phone messages she'd already taken down for the day.

"I know it won't be easy, but go ahead and do what you can to cancel everything he has until the ABDC taping begins again," Kevin instructed.  "And if anyone gives you trouble, tell them to call me and I'll take care of it."

"Alright."  Caroline located the message she'd been looking for and pulled it out of the paper-clipped stack.  "Sorry, Kevin."

"Not your fault," Kevin said.  "We'll make it work.  Goodbye, Caroline."

Caroline hung up the phone and re-read the message in her hand.  She hadn't put two and two together when she'd taken the message, but the car service had called early that morning and told her that the car JC requested wouldn't be available the next day after all as they had overbooked.  Caroline had taken down the message without thought and set it aside to deal with later.  Now she had to be the one to break the news to her apparently very stressed out boss that the car he'd scheduled wouldn't be taking him to the airport the next morning.

Putting first things first, Caroline began the enormous task of clearing JC's schedule for the next fourteen days.  As Kevin had warned her, it wasn't easy at all, and almost no one she spoke with was understanding.

"This has been booked for weeks," complained the representative she spoke with at a local news station.  "How am I supposed to fill this slot on such short notice?"

"I'm very sorry, sir," Caroline re-iterated for the umpteenth time.  "But a family emergency has come up, and Mr. Chasez will be out of town for some time."

"Better be some emergency," the grumpy man snarled. 

And so went the numerous other phone calls Caroline made.  She skipped lunch to finish, and felt completely ready for a nap once she was finally done.  She only allowed herself a brief moment of rest, with her forehead pressed up against the cool surface of her desk, before returning to her list of damage control.  The next task was to find another car to get JC to the airport.

Caroline called every car service she knew of, plus a few that she didn't, but everyone was completely booked on such short notice.  One service offered to take him to the airport at 5am, but Caroline knew JC would object.  By the time 4pm rolled around, Caroline had no leads whatsoever, and the sound of the front door opening and closing almost stopped her heart.

She waited motionless, praying that it was Mariella even though she knew the housekeeper had already come and gone for the day.  She heard footsteps crossing the house towards the office and tensed slightly, but they passed right by, heading for the studio.  The door shut softly and Caroline relaxed, before realizing she needed to just bite the bullet, or she'd be here all night.

Taking a few calming breaths first, Caroline gathered her wits and crossed the hallway to the studio door.  The stairs were empty, and the door at the bottom was shut, it's ever present "QUIET" sign taped in place next to the schedule.  Caroline descended the stairs as quietly as possible and removed the schedule from the door, since it was all null and void now anyway, before she knocked softly.

She wasn't sure if she was expecting a response or not, so when JC called, "Come in", she hesitated for a moment, unsure if she'd actually heard him or not.

Caroline opened the studio door carefully and took a cautious step inside.  JC was sitting in one of the leather swivel chairs, his back to her as he clicked at something on the computer.  Caroline froze in the doorway for a moment, realizing slowly that she'd just invited herself into the lion's den.  Why hadn't she just left a note and booked it?  She was so screwed.

JC glanced over his shoulder at her while she was busy contemplating her fate.  "Sit down," he said, motioning to the other chair, and Caroline blinked in surprise.  She let her feet carry her across the room to the chair, sitting down on the soft leather gingerly. 

"JC, I have-" she began, but he cut her off.

"Can you listen to something for me?" he asked, not looking at her.  "Something about this chorus isn't sounding right to me, but I need a fresh set of ears."

He clicked something on the computer, then adjusted a dial on the huge soundboard before music came flowing out of the speakers.  Caroline listened to the refrain he played, trying her best to be expressionless.  It was very standard pop, not at all her music of choice, but she wasn't about to tell JC that.

When the music stopped, he glanced at her curiously, chin in his hand.  "Well?"

"Um."  Caroline shrugged.  "Sounds great."

JC sighed and turned the dial back down, looking back at the computer.  "Guess it's just me."

He didn't necessarily look as frazzled as he'd seemed earlier, though there was definitely a sort of glumness about him that wasn't usually there.  Caroline shifted in her seat, glancing down at her hands to realize that she'd folded and re-folded the old schedule until just a small square remained.

"I cleared your schedule," she announced.  "You're free for two weeks.  But-"

"I shouldn't have yelled at you," JC interjected, still staring at the computer screen.  "It was unprofessional, and I'm sorry."

Caroline swallowed.  He did actually sound unusually sincere.  "It's okay.  But-"

"It's really not okay," JC said, cutting her off once more.  "If I were you, I would quit."

Did he want her to quit?  Caroline shrugged one shoulder.  "I don't want to quit, but JC-"

"You don't have to give two weeks' notice or anything," he pointed out.  "If you want to quit, quit."

Caroline sighed, her anxiety giving away to frustration as usual.  "JC, can you just listen for a second?"

JC swiveled his chair away from the computer to face her completely.  "Listening."

"The car service called this morning," Caroline said carefully.  "They're overbooked, and you don't have a ride tomorrow.  I called every other service I could think of, but-"

"What?"  JC sat up straight, his impassive expression beginning to fade into anger.  "What the hell does that mean, they're overbooked?"

"I'm not sure, but-"

"That's bullshit."  JC stood up, and Caroline flinched but he didn't notice.  "That's no way to run a business.  I'm calling them."

Caroline scrambled out of her seat as JC started up the stairs in long strides.  "JC, wait!"

She managed to catch up to him in the office, phone in his hand as he shuffled around papers on her desk.  Caroline crossed the room towards him and took the receiver out of his hand. 

"Will you calm down?" she ordered, too flustered by his sudden shift in mood to be afraid of his reaction.  "Seriously."

JC glared at her and sat down heavily in her chair.  "I'm not leaving one of my cars at airport parking.  Last time I did that, the Jeep got keyed, and I still had to pay 20 bucks a day."

This was the first time Caroline had ever heard JC complain about how much something cost, but she didn't point that out.  She hung up the phone and tried to fix the mess he'd made on her desktop.

"We'll figure something out."  She glanced at her watch and sighed with resignation, knowing what the dilemma would eventually come down to.  The question was, should she wait for it to happen naturally, or just get it over with and end the hullaballoo?  "I'll just drive you."

JC's eyes narrowed as he crossed his arms over his chest.  "That's not in your job description."

"I do a lot of things that aren't in my job description," Caroline snapped, flicking a stray piece of hair out of her eye as she finished re-straightening her desk.  "This is the only solution that won't keep me here all night, so can we just agree on it?"

JC stood, looking unsatisfied.  "My flight leaves at 9."

"I know."

"I'll have to be there at least two hours early," he said, clearly trying to bait her.  Caroline did her best to stay stoic.

"I'll pick you up at 6:30, then."

Clearly at a loss for anything more to argue on, JC turned on his heel and stalked out of the office.  Caroline sighed heavily, turning to sit on the edge of her desk.  After regaining her senses a bit, she made the decision to leave early, as well as take the following day off.  Now that JC had a clear schedule, she felt he owed her a get out of jail free card.  It was just a plus that Wednesday was Brandon's day off as well.

Caroline used the motivation of her free day to haul herself out of bed at 5am the next morning.  Leaving Brandon snoring peacefully next to her, Caroline forced herself through the motions of getting dressed, not bothering to try looking good in any sense of the word.  She pulled on a pair of yoga pants with an old t-shirt and Brandon's least favorite pair of shoes that she owned, her Uggs.  They had been a gift from her fashion-conscious stepmother a couple years before, and Caroline forgave them their unattractiveness for their supreme comfort. 

She forced herself to eat some breakfast while she waited for coffee to brew, and when it was done, poured it in a travel mug to take with her.  She would much rather err on the side of being early to JC's, and it was already 5:30.

Caroline made the drive in the early morning light, struggling to muffle her yawns.  JC's garage was open when she pulled up, and a small mountain of suitcases were awaiting her arrival at the bottom of the front steps.  She was shoving the last of them into her backseat when JC appeared.  He looked considerably more put together than he had the day before, but still less-polished than usual in a zip up sweatshirt  and jeans.  He was also fairly unshaven, but Caroline was surprised to find that the unkempt look kind of worked for him.

"Morning," he greeted flatly, pulling a gadget out of his pocket to close the garage door.  He tossed the messenger bag that was slung over his shoulder into the passenger seat of Caroline's car, following right behind it.  Caroline rolled her eyes and finished fitting all of his luggage in her backseat before forcing the door closed.

The drive to the airport was relatively silent, JC only speaking when his phone buzzed, announcing a call.

"Hi, Mom," he said, his voice sounding somewhat hoarse.  "Yeah, I'm on the way to the airport right now.  No, Caroline's driving me."  He paused to sigh and turned to Caroline.  "My mom says hi."

"Hi, Karen," Caroline responded as she took a left turn towards LAX departures.  Even this early, the airport was already abuzz with activity, and she worked hard to carefully weave her way through traffic to find the Virgin America hub. 

"Yes, Mom, I will.  Okay.  Yep.  Gotta go.  Bye."  JC hung up his phone just as Caroline pulled up to the sidewalk.  Thankfully, he actually helped her unload all of his bags onto a metal caddy, and Caroline glanced at her watch as she closed her trunk.  It was just past six, and in about a half-hour, she would be back at home in bed, ready to sleep in.

"You have my itinerary?" JC confirmed, slinging his bag over his shoulder.  Caroline nodded; it was back at the office, but she already had it committed to memory.

"I'll be here to pick you up on the fourteenth at 2:00," she recited, and JC nodded slowly. 

"Okay."  He paused.  "Hey, uh, why don't you just take the rest of the day off?  Paid, of course."

Caroline half-smiled, feeling only slightly sheepish.  "I was kinda planning on it anyway.  But thanks."

JC nodded.  "Alrighty then.  Well.  See you in two weeks."

"Sure," Caroline replied.  "Have a nice trip."

JC pulled a worn baseball cap out of his bag and pulled it down low over his eyes.  "Thanks."  With that, he was off, pushing his cart along beside him.  Caroline got back in her car, but not before flipping off the man in a gray pickup that honked to hurry her along.  
chapter 7 by rebeccan

As it turned out, Caroline didn't end up going to JC's house for the rest of the week.  She knew that the housekeeping and gardening services would continue as scheduled - JC made sure she paid them all at least a month in advance.  It was too enticing to take some time off, and she reasoned with herself that she could easily make up for any lost time when she returned the following week, especially considering that she worked at about double the pace when JC wasn't around at all.

If anyone was glad she'd decided to stay home for a few days, it was Brandon.

"So, you're still getting paid for this, right?" he'd asked one afternoon when she'd showed up at the garage to have lunch with him. 

"I'm on salary, so yes, technically," Caroline had assured him as they sat outside to eat, enjoying the unseasonably warm southern California weather.  "I can play catch up next week, and I doubt JC will know, or care."

Indeed, it was fairly easy for Caroline to handle everything when she returned.  There were a few emails still coming in from angry PR reps regarding all of JC's cancelled appearances and interviews, but Caroline shrugged them off and forwarded them to Kevin, per his request.  She found herself only needing to really go into the office a few hours per day; most everything else, she accomplished from home. 

In fact, Caroline got so used to JC being gone that she was shocked when the 24-hour reminder alarm on her Blackberry popped up the day before his return.

"What's that?" Brandon mumbled from behind her on the couch as they relaxed on Sunday afternoon, watching some documentary about European street artists that Caroline's brother had raved about.  Her phone vibrated on the coffee table once more, and Caroline leaned forward to pick it up.

"Shit," she whispered, closing her eyes after she cleared the reminder. 

"What?"  Brandon's arms tightened around her and he pressed a kiss to the back of her neck.  "Bad news?"

Caroline tossed her Blackberry aside with a sigh.  "JC's coming back tomorrow."

Brandon froze.  "Does that mean you have to go back to actually working?"

"Yes, and oddly enough, not getting as much done."

"That sucks."

"Mmm."  Caroline rolled onto her stomach, burying her face in a throw pillow.  It was time to return to the actual reality of her job, and she was nowhere near ready.  Brandon rubbed her back comfortingly.

"Maybe it won't be so bad.  Maybe vacation chilled him out."

"Maybe," Caroline sighed.  "I don't want to think about it right now."

She effectively pushed the thought of JC's impending return out of her mind until the next morning, when Brandon woke her up with a kiss. 

"I'm leaving," he said, sitting on the edge of her side of the mattress.  Caroline yawned and stretched, glancing at the clock.  It was six-thirty and she was nowhere near ready to get out of bed.

"I hate Monday," she whispered, and Brandon chuckled, smoothing her hair back off of her forehead. 

"Good luck today."  He kissed her again before standing up.  "Maybe JC brought you a present."

His sarcasm went unnoticed as Caroline remembered the other reason why this particular Monday was going to suck.  "Ugh."

"Have a good day.  I love you."  Brandon shrugged on his jacket and waved at her before leaving the room.  Caroline dawdled in bed for a few minutes longer before forcing herself to get up and into the shower.

It was a drizzly day, and traffic sucked colossally.  Caroline was laying on her horn, honking at an SUV that cut her off on Laurel Canyon, when her phone vibrated in her pocket.  She decided to play it safe and wait until she was at a red light to pull it out. 

Boarding the plane in DC, read the text from who else, JC.  See you in five hours.  Bring the Jeep when you come.

Caroline rolled her eyes and tossed the phone in the passenger seat.  Typical JC.  No explanations, just orders.  Convinced she would feel better once she got some caffeine, Caroline focused on making it to the house.

Once in the office, she managed to get a few loose ends tied up before she had to leave for the airport.  Caroline figured it would be safest to leave around 1, in case traffic was still a bitch, but she didn't factor in the time she had to spend procuring the keys for the Jeep.  She knew they were in the lockbox on the far wall of the garage, but she had no way of getting inside.  Caroline took a few random guesses at the combination before calling Mariella, frustrated.

"Bueno?"

"Mariella," Caroline sighed, holding herself back from punching the metal box on the wall.  "It's Caroline."

"Hola, Carolina!" Mariella sang into the phone.  "How are you today?"

"I'm fine," she replied, no time for niceties.  "Mariella, do you know the combination to the lockbox in the garage?"

Mariella clucked her tongue.  "Oh, no, no, hermanita.  Try Edgar, he will know."

Caroline closed her eyes in frustration.  Edgar was the unofficial maintenance man around JC's house, and he spoke even less English than Mariella. 

After getting Edgar's phone number and struggling through a conversation with her best attempt at broken Spanish, Caroline finally got the combination to the lockbox and obtain the Jeep keys.  By that time, it was past 1:30.

Of course, she couldn't catch a break, and traffic into LAX was as difficult as ever, stretching the 30 minute drive into a full hour.  Surprisingly enough, she didn't get any frantic texts or calls from JC until about 2:20.

"JC, I'm on my way," Caroline assured him as soon as she answered his call.  "I got stuck in traffic and it's pouring."

Did you bring the Jeep?" JC asked, not sounding too perturbed.  Yet.

"Yeah, I'm in it now.  I didn't know the code to the -"

"Okay, see you soon," JC replied and hung up.  Caroline scowled at her phone and tossed it aside. 

For a Monday afternoon, the arrivals gate was packed, and Caroline had to wait several minutes for a space to open up.  She spotted JC easily, standing next to a full luggage caddy.  He wore his same cap from before, along with a pair of glasses, but he'd still been spotted and was apparently signing autographs for several people standing clustered around him. 

Caroline waited at the car until he was done, and moved to open the back of the Jeep to accommodate the contents of his luggage cart, which seemed to have grown exponentially since his departure.  She noticed that JC seemed different as well, though she couldn't quite put her finger on what it was. 

"Hi Caroline," he greeted, sounding surprisingly chipper.  

"Hi, sorry I'm late," she began, but JC waved her off, and shocked her again by wrapping an arm around her shoulders in a quick hug.

"Don't worry about it!  Are you hungry?"

Caroline watched him begin to toss his luggage in the back of the Jeep.  "Not...really.  Are you okay?"

"I'm fine!"  JC unloaded the last of his luggage and slammed the back door shut, offering a perky show of gratitude to the attendant that came to take his cart.  "Hop in, I'll drive!"

Caroline got into the passenger seat somewhat warily, watching as JC fiddled with the radio spastically. 

"Did you have a lot of coffee on the plane, JC?" she asked finally, and he nodded, barely even looking as he pulled out into traffic. 

"Four cups, and a Diet Coke," he replied.  "Flying makes me nervous.  How are you?"

"I'm good."  Caroline made sure to buckle her seatbelt securely and hold on tightly.  JC was a questionable driver even when he wasn't hopped up on caffeine, and she was more than a little nervous to find out how this trip would end up.  "Um, how was Maryland?"

"Oh, it was awesome!"  JC made a daring maneuver around a hotel shuttle and Caroline clutched the door handle in response.  "Always great to see family."

"You look...tan," Caroline remarked, glancing over at him in between watching the road.  JC smiled sheepishly.

"I kinda...got bored at home," he admitted, taking one hand off the steering wheel as he shrugged.  Caroline cringed.  "So I went down to Orlando for a few days.  I have a house there, you know."

Caroline knew about JC's Winter Park home because she was in charge of making sure the mortgage payments were made, along with upkeep costs.  "I know."

"You should go sometime," JC continued, barely screeching to a stop as the stoplight they were approaching turned red.  "It's so relaxing.  So, you're not hungry?"

"No.  JC, watch the road!"

JC was almost too busy checking out the Aston Martin that had driven up beside them to notice the car in front of him had its turn signal on.  He swerved out of the way just in time and Caroline exhaled the breath she'd been holding. 

"Calm down.  I'm starving."

He turned the song on the radio up and bopped his head along with the music as he drove, playing imaginary drums on the steering wheel.  Caroline closed her eyes and actually began to pray that they wouldn't get in an accident.  She could honestly say that this was one of the most terrifying car rides she'd ever been on in her life, and they weren't even a quarter of the way to JC's house.

"McDonalds?  No.  Taco Bell?  No."  JC sighed heavily and turned the radio off before turning it back on again.  "Don't you hate that?"

"Being in a car with a crazy person?  Yeah, I hate it," Caroline muttered, her eyes still closed.

"No, when you're so hungry that you can't decide what you want," JC said, too far gone to respond to her barb. 

"Why don't you just focus on making it home and we can get something there?"

"I don't have any food there."

"I'll share my lunch with you," Caroline said.  "Hell, you can have the entire thing.  Just...get me there in one piece."

"Really?"  JC turned to look at her.  "That's so sweet, Caroline."

She waved him away.  "The road, JC!  Please!"

"No problem," he replied, leaning back in his seat.  "I got this."

It was only by the grace of...something that they made it home alive, and Caroline literally felt like kneeling to kiss the ground when she crawled out of the Jeep.  JC hopped out of the car and bounded into the house, completely unfazed. 

"Don't worry about the bags," he called over his shoulder.  "I'll get them later!"

Caroline followed him inside, still trying to calm her racing heart.

"There's still some food in here," JC announced, already standing in front of the open fridge when Caroline entered the kitchen.  "What's this again?" he asked, pulling the head of kohlrabi out of the crisper.

"Let's...not worry about that."  Caroline took it out of his hands and motioned him away from the fridge.  "I brought some soup for lunch, so I can heat it up for you if you want to go upstairs and...try to calm down."

"I'm fine!" JC exclaimed, then paused.  "I guess I could shower.  Why don't you put some coffee on, it's freezing in here."

"No," Caroline said flatly.  "No more coffee for you for at least 24 hours."

After a bit more wrangling, she finally got JC upstairs and took a few moments to sit at the island and catch her breath.  It was safe to say her nerves were completely shot for the day.

By the time JC returned downstairs, Caroline had heated up a bowl of soup for him, and was slicing up an apple to go along with it. She was relieved to see that he looked somewhat less hyper, and hoped that he was coming down from his caffeine rush. 

"Feeling better?" she asked and JC sat down at the island in front of the steaming bowl. 

"Yeah."  He picked up the spoon and yawned, which relieved Caroline greatly.  "I guess I overdid it with the coffee."

"It would seem so."  She put the apple slices on a plate and slid it across the island towards him.  "Is this enough for you?"

"It's great, thanks."  JC ate a huge spoonful of the soup and glanced at her.  "This is amazing."

"Thanks.  I made it," she replied, wiping down the counter. 

"I thought you only ate uncooked food."

"I did, when I was younger.  But I cook things now."

JC nodded and took another few bites before popping an apple slice in his mouth.  "Any problems while I was gone?"

"Besides pissing off a shitload of radio stations and magazines, no."  Caroline pulled a bag of snap peas out of her lunch bag and sat down on a barstool across from JC.  "By the way, Kevin wanted to meet with you when you got back."

JC rolled his eyes.  "I'll call him tomorrow.  Is he pretty mad?"

Caroline shrugged.  "He's had a couple weeks to cool down, but you did kind of put us in a bad position."

JC didn't say anything for a few minutes, and Caroline began to wonder if she'd overstepped her bounds.  "But...you know.  You did what you had to do."

JC just nodded and finished off the soup.  "Any important messages?"

"Nothing that can't wait until tomorrow."

"Good, because I need a nap."  He pushed the remainder of the apple slices over to her and slid off the barstool.  Caroline stayed seated, watching as he took his bowl to the sink.  The aftermath of his freakout combined with any jet lag effects pretty much ensured that he'd be asleep for the rest of the day. 

"Thanks again for lunch."  JC half-turned towards her in the doorway, not quite meeting her eyes.  "You're a good assistant.  You could be working anywhere, but instead you're here, putting up with my bullshit.  I appreciate that."

Caroline froze, unsure of how to handle the most genuine compliment she'd ever received from JC, or maybe any boss.  "Um.  Thanks."

"Maybe I'll give you a raise," he said, then chuckled.  "Just kidding."

Caroline popped another pea pod in her mouth and glared at JC's back as he left the room.     
chapter 8 by rebeccan

If there was anything Caroline learned while working for JC, it was tons of useless information about pop music.  If he wasn't having her listen to something he produced for someone, he was making her look up pop groups on Wikipedia before they came over to meet with him in the studio. 

She'd always considered herself somewhat of a music snob - she'd been mostly removed from the trendy scene when she was a kid, so her listening tastes revolved around her dad's old classic rock records.  She had fond memories of her father teaching her how to use the record player correctly at an early age, as not to damage the fragile albums when she got a hankering to listen to some Led Zeppelin or The Who.  Every so often, Caroline remembered piling into her dad's old Camaro, squished between her brothers in the backseat, listening to 8-tracks of Fleetwood Mac and Pink Floyd.

She tried not to listen to the radio at all, but if she did, it was always rock or alternative stations, and Brandon was the same way.  Kiss FM was easily abhorred, and they didn't watch too much, if any, MTV, so while Caroline knew a lot about music in general, she knew next to nothing about the most popular artists of the current decade.  Which probably explained why she hadn't known who JC was.

Justin Timberlake, on the other hand, was a little more unavoidable.  After a solo career that topped JC's several times over, plus a fairly successful foray into film, his face was unmistakable.  In fact, Caroline had a hard time reconciling the fact that he and JC had gotten the same start in fame, all the way down to the Disney show.  Justin Timberlake was easily one of the most recognizable stars of the current pop culture. 

Which made it all the more startling when Caroline walked into her office one morning to find him seated at her desk.

"Morning," he greeted cheerfully, shooting a grin at her over his shoulder before turning back to her computer monitor.  "Hope you don't mind.  JC said I could check my email."

Caroline managed to unfreeze herself from the doorway and take a tentative step into the room.  "Not at all."

She set her bag down on the empty desk gingerly, glancing at Justin out of the corner of her eye.  Hadn't JC made that reference a few weeks ago about not being close with his former bandmate?  Now he was inexplicably here, at 8 in the morning at that.

Before Caroline could make another move, JC appeared in the doorway.  "Oh, you're here."

"Yep."  She leaned against the desk awkwardly, arms crossed over her waist.  JC continued into the room, jabbing a thumb at Justin.

"Caroline, Justin.  Justin, Caroline."

Justin closed whatever he'd opened on her computer and spun around in her chair.  "Sweet Caroline.  Enchanté."  He held out a hand in her direction and Caroline stepped forward to take it.  "What are you, a supermodel on the weekends?  That face, those legs!"

Caroline glanced at JC and he sighed.  "Cool it, Justin."

Justin laughed.  "Just playin'.  Nice to meet you." 

"You, too," Caroline replied, dropping her hand back to her side when he released it.  "JC, I hung your dry cleaning in the front closet."

"Great."  JC barely acknowledged her as he stared at Justin.  "Are you ready, finally?"

"Just about."  Justin leaned back in Caroline's chair, his arms folded behind his head.  "How do you like working for Chasez?"

Figuring she wasn't about to get her chair back any time soon, Caroline sat in the empty one.  "Oh, it's great.  The career I always aspired to as a little girl."

Justin cackled and JC shot her a caustic glance.  "At least you have a job," he pointed out drily.  "For now."

Caroline shrugged, not worried.  She'd learned fairly well what buttons she could push with JC.  "When you put it that way, I guess I can't complain."

"No, you can't," JC shot back.  Justin watched their exchange with a smirk. 

"Cute," he said.  "I like this little ‘we hate each other' repertoire you guys have goin' on.  Very Sam and Diane."

JC crossed his arms and tapped his foot impatiently.  "Not so much.  Caroline has a rock star boyfriend."

Justin's eyebrows raised as Caroline rolled her eyes.  "He's not a rock star."

"Oh, that's right," JC said airily.  "He's a mechanic."

Caroline glared.  "And if he wasn't a mechanic, you and your little Mercedes out there would be shit outta luck."

She had him there, and JC knew it, so he kept his mouth shut.  Caroline knew for a fact that the resulting bill from the incident in North Hollywood had run JC into the triple digits. 

"This is good," Justin said, pointing at Caroline.  "She's good for you."

"Whatever."  JC pushed off the filing cabinet he was leaning against and headed for the door.  "Can we get started?"

"He's so bossy," Justin stage-whispered to Caroline, who nodded emphatically.

"We'll be downstairs for most of the day," JC informed Caroline.  He waved Justin through but hesitated in the doorway, and Caroline noticed him let his guard down for a moment.  "I'm waiting for a call from Jive.  It's kind of important."

He glanced at her, looking almost desperate for a split second, and Caroline frowned.   "Okay.  Do you want me to put it through downstairs?"

"Yeah, I do."  Then, almost if his insecurity had never appeared, it was gone.  "By the way.  My usual car guy told me that your boyfriend overcharged me for the Mercedes."

Caroline stood up, holding her head high.  "Oh, he did.  It was asshole tax."

JC scowled.  "Ooh, original."  With that, he disappeared, and Caroline got down to her actual work.

The call from Jive didn't come all morning, but Caroline brought the cordless extension into the kitchen with her at lunchtime just in case.  She wasn't exactly sure what the call would be about, but apparently JC was taking it seriously.  She hadn't dealt with his record label directly enough to even infer anything...all she knew was that they were located in New York City, and the rep she'd spoken with a couple times was named Simon. 

Caroline was eating her salad and flipping through an issue of Rolling Stone that had been in JC's mailbox that morning, when Justin's voice floated through the house.

"...just order in, then.  Thai?"

JC response was inaudible, and Justin flitted into the kitchen a moment later.  "Sweet Caroline, bah bah bah!  The good times never seemed so good," he sang, rounding the island to sit next to her as he pulled his phone of the pocket of his expensive looking jeans.  "I'd bet you get that a lot."

"Yeah."  Caroline glanced at JC as he entered the kitchen, looking serious.  "My dad's a big Red Sox fan."

"So you were actually named after the song?" Justin asked, and Caroline nodded. 

"He wanted to name me Fenway, but my mom said no."

Justin snickered as he scrolled through something on his phone.  "I can see why.  So, Jace, Thai sound good to you?"

JC shrugged as he paced the kitchen.  Caroline watched him as she ate - the tension seemed to come off of him in waves, but Justin appeared to either not notice or not care.  "Caroline, I know that salad's not enough for you.  You like Thai?"

"That's alright," Caroline said.  "I'm almost done in here."

Justin waved his hand as if her statement was an annoying fly.  "Oh, please.  I'll order you some extra phat si-io."

"That's really okay-"

"She's vegan, Justin," JC interjected, pausing in his pacing to glance at his watch.  Justin raised his eyebrows as he held his phone to his ear.

"Vegan?"  He made a show of looking Caroline up and down.  "Does a body good."

He winked before stepping out of the room to make his order, and JC motioned to the cordless phone.  "No call yet?"

"No," Caroline replied, finishing off the last of her salad and pulling a tangerine out of her lunch bag.  "Is everything alright, JC?"

"What?"  He glanced at her sharply and shook his head.  "Yeah, everything's fine.  It's just an important call."

Justin returned before Caroline could prod JC to elaborate.  "Lunch should be here in about fifteen."  He sat back down next to Caroline and leaned his chin on his hand.  "So, Caroline.  Tell me about yourself."

"Um."  Caroline shrugged.  "What do you want to know?"

"Where are you from?" Justin prompted.

"I live downtown, currently," she said.  "But I'm from Playa Vista originally."

"And what do your parents do?"

"My mom's a...holistic doctor, of sorts.  And my dad lives in Santa Monica.  He's a realtor, and so is my stepmom."

"Any siblings?"

"Jesus, Justin," JC sighed.  "What is this, twenty questions?"

Caroline didn't remind JC that he'd played somewhat of a similar game when she'd first started working for him.  "I have two older brothers, Seth and Cameron.  Cameron owns a motorcycle dealership in Orange County, Seth is a public defense lawyer."

Justin nodded.  "So, if I'm ever in a bind-"

"-you'll be able to afford someone much better than him," Caroline finished, and Justin laughed.

"And your boyfriend?  The rock star-slash-mechanic?"

"That pretty much sums him up," Caroline admitted. 

"Is it serious?" Justin asked, and JC rolled his eyes.

"Well, we've been together for four years, and we've lived together for the past two and a half."  She smiled in spite of herself.  "I'd say it's pretty serious."  She mimicked Justin's position, chin in her hand.  "Why, are you interested?"

Justin grinned.  "Oh, I would be, believe me."

JC cleared his throat loudly, effectively interrupting the conversation.  "Caroline, don't you have some work to do?"

Caroline nodded, starting to clean up her lunch.  Justin shook his head at JC.

"You are the worst boss ever.  Hey!"  He slapped the countertop suddenly, as if a great idea had suddenly occurred to him.  "You know what would make you a cool boss?"

"No, and I don't care," JC groaned, resting his head in his hands.  Justin ignored him.

"You should bring Caroline to the Vegas benefit," he continued.   At Caroline's curious look, he explained, "I'm heading up a benefit concert for a children's hospital in a couple weeks.  It's in Vegas, so automatic awesome.  Plus, there's a theme park opening.  With rollercoasters."  He slapped the countertop again.  "You know what?  Bring your rock star boyfriend.  It's gonna be a great time."

"I don't even know if it fits with my schedule yet or not," JC grumbled.  Caroline set her lunch bag aside and leaned against the counter. 

"Why don't you email the details and I'll check it out," she said to Justin.  "I'm sure we can move some things around if need be."

"Perfect."  Justin pulled out his phone.  "I'll do that right now."

JC just frowned.

Later, Caroline was finishing up her work day in the office, making sure everything was in order for the next day.  JC and Justin had spent a couple more hours after lunch down in the studio, but Justin had left the house around 3, stopping to poke his head in her office and say goodbye.  As far as Caroline knew, JC was still down in the studio, but she had no reason to bother him as the call from Jive never came.

She was making sure JC's schedule was updated in her Blackberry when he appeared in the doorway, hands in his pockets.

"You leaving?" he asked.  Caroline glanced up.

"I'd considered it.  Unless you need me to do something?"

"No," JC sighed, stepping into the office to sit against the edge of the empty desk.  "Did you work Justin's little concert into the schedule?"

"Yeah, and emailed Rob," Caroline replied, referring to JC's publicist.  "He's obviously stoked."

"Obviously."  JC peered over her shoulder at the schedule.  "You know that you'll have to go."

Caroline sighed, noting the pink highlighting she'd already applied to the weekend in question.  "I figured."

"Well."  JC shrugged.  "Invite your boyfriend, then.  My treat."

"JC, that's not necessary."

"Maybe not, but I'm really not that much of an asshole," he pointed out.  "It won't hurt anything if he comes, and he might enjoy it.  And if nothing else, he can enjoy making fun of it."

Caroline had to admit a weekend in Vegas with Brandon would be fun, especially if all expenses were paid.  Since she would technically be on the clock, he could afford to get a couple days off from the garage, too.  "I'll ask him."

"Great."  Sounding less than enthused, JC stood up and headed for the door.  "See you tomorrow."

Caroline watched him leave and cursed her underlying maternal nature.  "JC."

He turned back towards her, expression blank.  "Yeah."

"Are you sure everything's okay?"  Trying to seem as approachable as possible, Caroline leaned over her desk.  "I mean...I don't know.  You just seem kinda down."

JC snorted.  "Do you even care?"

For some reason, his words hurt, more than Caroline could explain.  She looked down at her desk. 

"I guess I do."

Caroline heard JC sigh heavily, and the chair across from hers creak as he lowered himself into it.  "Honestly?"

Caroline glanced at him.  JC sighed and stared down at the floor as he responded. 

"Jive is going to drop me."

Caroline frowned.  "What does that mean?"

"They're going to drop me as an artist," JC clarified.  "I will no longer be represented by a record label."

Not sure exactly what this meant for JC's career, Caroline nodded slowly.  "Oh."

"I've been working on a solo record for...awhile now," he continued, still staring at the floor.  "It hasn't been sounding right to me, and I'm not going to put out something that I think sounds like crap.  I'm just not."

Of course not, Caroline thought.  JC was a perfectionist in the most ultimate sense of the word.  "Why don't you just start over from scratch?"

JC sighed and leaned back in his chair, shifting his forlorn gaze from the floor to the ceiling.  "I have, several times.  Jive is getting pissed, and they've been threatening to drop me for some time now.  If the record isn't completed by the end of this month, they're pulling out.  Completely."

"Is it even close?" Caroline asked, already knowing the answer.  JC shook his head.

"No."  He paused, scratching the half-growth of beard on his face that he never seemed to shave off in time anymore.  "That's why Justin was here today, working on some songs with me.  Or at least trying."

"I thought you two weren't close anymore?"

"We aren't.  Believe me, I never would have asked for his help.  He wanted to get involved.  Turns out, even a name like his isn't enough to stop this shitstorm."

The bitterness in his tone was almost stifling.  Caroline picked at a stray thread on her shirt.

"Well.  You don't really need a record label to keep writing and producing, right?" she pointed out.  "I'm sure everything will work out...fine."

JC leveled her a cold gaze.  "Wow, thanks.  That makes me feel so much better."

Caroline shifted in her seat with a soft sigh.  "Why do you hate Justin so much?  He seems like a nice enough guy."

JC didn't reply for a few seconds.  "I don't hate him."

"You're just bitter about his success?" Caroline offered, and the look JC sent her way was hard enough to kill.

"No."  He paused for a long time.  "He's more marketable than I am.  More commercial."

"More personable?" Caroline couldn't help but smile when JC glared at her again.  "I'm sorry, JC, but it's true.  You act like an asshole all the time, even though you're secretly a nice guy.  I really just don't get it."

"I wouldn't expect you to," JC replied haughtily.  "Justin's everything, he's the whole package.  He sings, he dances, he acts, he makes you laugh.  And I'm just..." He trailed off, throwing his hands in the air and letting them fall unimpressively at his sides. 

"Just really talented?" Caroline supplied.  "You have just as much to offer as Justin does, if not more."

JC turned in his chair to rest his elbows on the desktop, his fists under his chin.  "How would you know?"

"I've heard some stuff," Caroline admitted.  "And I know you have a great work ethic.  I guess it seems to me that you fit better in a behind the scenes role."

JC didn't look at her.  "You know he's the reason we broke up, right?"

Caroline wasn't sure what he was referring to at first, but then she put two and two together.  "Oh.  NSYNC?"

"We could have gone for at least two more albums, but no."  JC shook his head.  "Justin wanted to go solo."

"Well," Caroline began slowly, "it probably would have fizzled out eventually, anyway.  I mean, boy bands aren't really the thing anymore."

JC stood up suddenly, letting the chair he'd occupied roll back until it hit the wall.  "Has anyone ever told you that you suck at being empathetic?"  He crossed the room towards the door, but turned back to her.  "I know this all probably sounds ridiculous to you, but this is my life.  Like it or not, I made these choices and this is what I ended up with.  At the end of the day, I'm either happy, or I'm not."

Caroline watched him carefully.  "So...are you?"

JC stared at her for a long, silent moment.  "I'm not even sure how to figure that out anymore."  He turned towards the door, throwing a quick, "Goodnight" over his shoulder before he was gone.

Caroline drove home feeling inexplicably like shit.  She knew JC's bank statements firsthand, and she could safely say, with what she knew about financial stability, that he was set for life.  Technically, he could retreat into the life of a hermit and live comfortably well into his old age.  She didn't feel sorry for him because his career was falling apart, because for all practical purposes, it was doing just fine.  She felt sorry for him because, somehow, his life had started to rip at the seams, slowly but surely.

Brandon was making dinner when she got home, about fifteen minutes later than usual.

"Hey," he greeted, glancing at the clock.  "Everything okay?"

The last thing Caroline wanted to tell him was that she was late because she'd been listening to JC semi-pour his heart out.  "Yeah, everything's fine.  What's this?" 

She leaned over the skillet he was standing at, peering at the sauce-like contents.  Brandon wasn't known for his master culinary skills, outside of sandwiches anyway.  To top it all off, whatever he was cooking didn't look like something they'd ever eaten before, which was also incredibly unusual.

"I was watching a cooking show," he admitted sheepishly.  "And uh, this looked good.  So I thought I'd try it."

Caroline raised her eyebrows but didn't make a big deal of it.  "Well, it smells great."

Brandon beamed and accepted her kiss.  "How was work?"

"Fine."  Caroline set her bag down and shrugged out of her jacket.  "I met Justin Timberlake."

"Really?"  Brandon added a little salt to his mixture and stirred idly.  "Is he as much of a douchebag as he seems on TV?"

"Um, not quite as much, no," Caroline replied, sitting down at the kitchen table with a yawn.  "I mean, he's definitely kind of a tool, but he seemed like a nice guy overall.  Nicer than JC, anyway."

Brandon chuckled, turning the heat down on his sauce before opening the lid of another pot to check on something else.  "Well, that's exciting."

"Yeah."  Caroline picked at her fingernails as she watched Brandon flit around the kitchen.  "Actually, I guess he's having some sort of benefit concert in Vegas in a couple of weekends.  JC's going, so that means I have to go."

"Oh."  Brandon stopped what he was doing and turned to look at her.  "For a whole weekend?"

"Yes.  But," she added with a smile, "you're invited!  And I'll be getting paid, so you can take a couple days off, maybe.  JC suggested it."

She clasped her hands together, hoping for a positive reception.  Brandon shuffled some things around on the kitchen counter with a tight smile.

"Wow.  That's...generous of him."

"I think he feels like he owes you because of the car thing."  Caroline shrugged.  "So, what do you say?  We haven't had a weekend away in forever, and...I don't know, it may actually be fun."

Brandon scratched his head as he scooped some pasta out of a pot into a serving bowl.  "When did you say it was?"

"The second weekend in April."

Brandon set the bowl down and crossed the kitchen to the fridge to flip a page on the calendar.  "We're playing in Irvine that Saturday."

"What?"  Caroline stood up to join him at the calendar.  There it was, written in red: Show @ Steelhead Brew, 6pm.  "Damn it."

"Too bad."  Brandon wrapped his arm around her shoulders as she pouted.  "Hey, it's okay.  I probably would have had a horrible time anyway."

Caroline shrugged him off.  "Oh, that makes me feel better."

He laughed, reaching out for her once more.  "I'm sorry, babe, I am.  You're right, it might have been fun."

She relaxed into his hold this time with a sigh.  "I guess we'll never know."

"You could still have fun," he pointed out, and Caroline rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, in an alternate universe where I actually enjoy these kinds of mindless social events.  It was only going to be fun if you were there to share in my misery."

"Oh."  Brandon kissed the top of her head and rubbed her back soothingly before he let her go.  "I'll be there in spirit.  Ready for dinner?"

Caroline sat back down as Brandon brought the food to the table, along with a couple of plates.  She waited until he sat across from her to address the nagging issue at the back of her mind.

"So, not that I have a choice or anything, but...you're okay with me going away for a weekend with JC?" she asked, trying to gauge Brandon's facial expression as he served her a plate full of pasta, topped with his special sauce.  "I mean...it doesn't make you uncomfortable, does it?"

Brandon shook his head.  "No, I'm okay with it." He paused, spoon hovering over his own plate.  "As long as you have separate rooms."

"Ugh, please."  Caroline waved away his remark as she picked up her fork.  "Besides, I'm not really JC's type.  As far as I can tell, he only sleeps with women who are incredibly tan and weigh eighty pounds."

"Well, he doesn't know what he's missing."  Brandon motioned for her to eat.  "Come on, take a bite."

Caroline raised the fork to her mouth cautiously.  The sauce was tangy, a little bit gritty, and way too salty, but she smiled anyway.

"Mmm.  It's really good."

"Yeah?"  Brandon took a heaping spoonful of his own dinner.  "Hey, not bad!  Maybe I'm onto something here."

"Maybe you are."  Caroline took another bite, and it was safe to say the sauce was terrible.  But she loved the cook too much to care. 

 

 

End Notes:
Note: On the off chance that anyone here notices this flub, I'm aware that the "Sweet Caroline" trend at Red Sox games is more recent. But I wanted the tie-in, so I fudged the details a bit. ;)
chapter 9 by rebeccan

"JC, no.  No more.  I'm cutting you off."

Caroline pulled JC's arm down as he tried to flag the stewardess.  "I'm serious!"

"This is only my second cup," JC pointed out, motioning at the stack of empty Styrofoam on his tray table.

"Yes, but we've only been on the plane for fifteen minutes," Caroline whispered, aware that they were attracting attention of the couple sitting across the aisle from them.  "No.  More."

JC sighed dramatically.  "I told you, flying makes me nervous."

"Well, you have 45 minutes to get over it," Caroline said, wishing first class wasn't so quiet.  She felt like everyone in the front cabin of the plane could hear every word of their conversation.  "Aren't you used to flying by now?"

"No," he replied flatly.  "I've always hated it."

"Maybe you should try Dramamine like a normal person," she suggested.  "I don't see how getting hyped up on caffeine is doing anybody any favors."

JC just grumbled and picked up the SkyMall magazine.  Caroline took a deep breath and returned to studying the weekend's schedule that Justin's manager had faxed over to her that morning.  They would make it to Vegas just in time to check in at the hotel, and then head over to the "VIP Kickoff Party", whatever the hell that was.  It seemed that the major festivities didn't start until Saturday afternoon, however.  First, there was the grand opening of a new Shriner's-funded mini-amusement park, just outside of the strip.  Saturday night was the big benefit concert itself, followed off by a thank-you brunch and press conference Sunday morning. 

As busy as it looked, Caroline had to admit that the weekend itself was a great idea.  Celebrities and professional athletes galore would be attending in droves, and the concert had sold out in a matter of minutes, with all the proceeds going directly to The Children's Hospital.  Surely, the outcome would be millions.

Caroline replaced her tray table and slipped the schedule back into her bag with a sigh.  First class may have been oddly quiet, but the seats were a hell of a lot more roomy than the coach accommodations she was used to.  She shifted until she was comfortable, then closed her eyes, resting her head against the back of the seat.

Tap, tap, tap. Tap, tap, tap.  Tap, tap.  Tap, tap, tap.

Caroline's eyes shot open.  "JC, what the hell?"

He stared at her.  "What?"

"Why are you tapping the armrest like that?" she asked, pushing his hand off of their shared armrest. 

"Because I'm nervous, and someone won't let me have any more coffee," he shot back. 

Caroline struggled to keep her cool as she glanced at her watch.  LA to Las Vegas was quite possibly one of the shortest flights ever, but right now, it was threatening to stretch out into epic proportions.

"Can I get you two anything?" the flight attendant asked, appearing over JC's shoulder.  He smiled up at her winningly.

"Do you have any...adult beverages?" he asked, and Caroline hid her face in embarrassment.  The flight attendant offered a placating smile.

"I can offer you champagne and orange juice," she said, and JC nodded enthusiastically.

"Great.  Two, please."

Caroline rolled her eyes, but as it turned out, the drink calmed JC down considerably.  He drained it in about two gulps, and Caroline offered him the remainder of hers.

"You don't like it?" he asked, taking the glass out of her hand.  Caroline shrugged.

"I didn't eat much lunch," she admitted.  "I don't want to get drunk."

"Drunk?  On four ounces of champagne?"  JC shook his head.  "Lightweight."

"So sorry if I don't go out bar crawling every other night."

JC signaled the flight attendant to take away the empty glasses.  "What do you do for fun then?"

Caroline shrugged.  "We do okay."

"Does Brandon drink?"

"No."

JC cocked his head.  "No?  Not at all?  Ever?"

"Not in three years," Caroline replied, glancing out the window at the bare landscape below. 

"Why?" JC prompted.  Caroline frowned at him.

"You're nosy today." 

JC just grinned.  "The alcohol lowers my inhibitions."

Caroline ignored his statement.  "For your information, alcoholism runs in Brandon's family, so he made the responsible decision to just...stay away from it." 

"Oh."  JC leaned back in his seat.  "Where did you two meet?"

Caroline rubbed her eyes.  There went her relaxing first class experience.

"Why are you asking me this?"

"Just making conversation."  He leaned over the armrest.  "Well?"

"We met in college."

"Brandon went to college?" JC asked, shrugging when Caroline shot him a look.  "Come on, he's a mechanic."

"He never graduated," Caroline said.  "It's...kind of a long story."

JC glanced at his watch.  "We have 32 minutes."

He had her captive there on the plane, and Caroline knew it.  "Fine.  He was in the pre-law program at USC, but he dropped out a year before he was supposed to finish."

"Why?"

"His dad is a lawyer and wanted Brandon to be one, too," she said.  "But it wasn't his dream.  So he gave it up."

"To become a rock star," JC interjected.

"Shouldn't you be a little less condescending?" Caroline pointed out.  "Did you go to college?"

"No," JC said.  "But if I had, I would have finished."

"Well, good for you."  Caroline smoothed her hands over the non-existent wrinkles in her skirt.  "It was the right decision for Brandon, and I supported him completely.  I still do."

"And now you support him financially, too," JC quipped with a smirk.  Caroline clenched her fists.

"Okay, number one, Brandon supported me for two years while I finished my degree and looked for a job," she said, her voice quiet but heated.  "Number two, you're starting to cross a line from being smug to being presumptuous, and I don't appreciate it."

It took extreme care for her to respond to JC as politely as she did, and he took note, leaning back in his seat with slightly raised eyebrows.  "You're right.  I'm sorry."

Caroline didn't reply, just turned back to the window. 

JC left her alone for the remainder of the flight, and Caroline savored her twenty minutes of silence, knowing that she might not have another moment to herself for the rest of the weekend.  When the plane landed, they disembarked without any problems.  Caroline was pleased that JC's usual airport disguise of a hat and glasses deterred anyone from stopping them on their way through the terminal.  Thanks to that, their carry-on luggage, and the car service waiting at the arrival gate as she'd arranged, they were in and out of the airport in ten minutes flat.

Caroline pulled out her Blackberry to text Rob once they were in the backseat of the black SUV.  JC's publicist had arranged to meet them at the hotel before the party - as it turned out, he had a couple other clients scheduled to be at the benefit as well.  Caroline was quickly learning that Rob liked to have all of his fingers in the pie whenever possible.  As annoying as he could be, he was a nice guy deep down, though Caroline got the feeling that JC didn't care for him much.

"Rob said he's at the hotel already," Caroline announced, responding to him that they'd be there in ten minutes.  JC took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes.

"Great.  How long do you think it will take to lose him tonight?"

"Probably not long."  Caroline tucked her phone away and glanced at her watch.  It was 5:30, and they would have just enough time to get to the hotel and change before needing to get to the party at the Luxor by 7. 

Of course, JC had requested that Caroline make arrangements for them to stay at one of the most expensive hotels on the strip - the Wynn.  The rates for the suites he'd requested had been exorbitant, but Caroline had to admit that even the lobby was breathtaking.  Rob was waiting for them at the base of an elaborate red-carpeted staircase, next to an ornate marble fountain.

"Hey!"  He waved them over.  "You made it!  How was the flight?  You gotta see these rooms, they are off the hook!"  Typical Rob, going a mile a minute.  Caroline left him with JC and made her way to the front desk to check in.

As overwhelming as he could be, Rob wasn't kidding about the rooms.  Caroline's suite was across the hall from JC's, and she had to work hard to keep her jaw from dropping as she stepped inside.  The room was more than lavish, with a separate sitting room and small kitchen area.  Everything was gorgeously modern, white furniture with touches of gold, and a huge picture window supplying a backdrop of the Las Vegas sunset in the distance, the lights of the strip sparkling some twenty floors below. 

"Holy shit," Caroline murmured, looking her fill in the sitting room before continuing onto the bedroom.  The accommodations were just as immaculate, and the bed looked so comfortable that she had a hard time reminding herself that she had a very long night before she could enjoy it. 

Her watch did all the reminding for her, flashing 5:52 as she dropped her bag on the bed and sat down for a moment.  She still needed to shower and get dressed, but first things first.

"Hello?"

"Hey!"  Caroline laid back on the bed, comforted by Brandon's voice on the other end of the phone.

"Hey, jetsetter.  How's Vegas?" he asked.  Caroline smiled.

"So far it's okay.  Brandon, you should see this hotel.  It's...insane."

"I'll bet," he replied.  "Worth $500 a night?"

"I'll let you know after I get to sleep in this bed."  She stretched her free arm out on top of the down comforter.  "Right now, I'm leaning towards yes."

"That's good."  Brandon sighed.  "I miss you."

The pit of Caroline's stomach warmed.  "I miss you, too.  How was work?"

They chatted about their days for a few minutes before Caroline glanced at her watch again.

"Damn it, I really have to get going, babe."  She sat up and ran her hand through her hair.  "It'll probably be a late night tonight, but I'll try to give you a call tomorrow sometime."

"Okay.  Have fun living the life," Brandon replied.  "Don't get too drunk."

"I won't.  I love you."

"Love you, too.  Bye."

Caroline rushed through her shower and putting on the new dress she'd bought for the event.  Much to Brandon's amusement, she'd given in to temptation and gone shopping the week before, though she was hoping no one at the party would be able to tell that she'd spent her money at a designer outlet rather than Rodeo Drive.

She was putting earrings on when someone knocked on her door.

JC was on the other side, hands on his hips.  "I need your opinion."  He motioned for Caroline to follow him across the hall to his room, and brought her to a stop in front of several different shirts that he'd laid out on the back of the couch in the sitting area.

"Well?" he asked, hands still on his hips.  "Which one?"

Caroline frowned, considering all four of the shirts.  As far as she was concerned, they were all ugly, and probably had the combined total cost of a used sports car.

"I'm...not really a fan of any of them," she admitted, and when JC frowned, picked up the least of the evils.  "Maybe this one."

JC snatched the shirt from her, and to Caroline's horror, pulled off the long-sleeved t-shirt he was already wearing.  "JC!"

"What?"  He slipped the button-down shirt over his shoulders, raising his eyebrows when Caroline covered her face.  "Are you embarrassed?"

"When my boss strips naked in front of me, yes."  Caroline peeked around her hands, only to see that JC had yet to button up the shirt and was standing in front of the full length mirror on the back of the bedroom door.  "Are you gonna wear it like that?"

"Maybe."  He scrutinized his reflection for a moment longer.  "I don't think this goes with the jeans."

Caroline sighed as JC took the shirt off and held his hand out for another.  Picking up one at random, she tossed it to him and made  conscious effort not to watch as he put it on. 

"Yeah?"  JC turned to her, the checkered shirt fully buttoned.  "What do you think?"

"I think your pants are really tight," she said.  JC looked down.

"Does that bother you?"

She shook her head, doing her best to look uninterested.  "You're the fashionista, not me."

JC made a show of looking her up and down, and Caroline crossed her arms over her waist self-consciously.  "I don't know, you look pretty in-vogue tonight.  What is that, Donna Karan?"

Caroline scoffed.  "You are so gay for knowing that."

Instead of getting offended, JC just smirked.  "Oh, trust me, honey.  My knowledge of women's dresses is the very furthest thing from gay."

An inexplicable blush spread over Caroline's cheeks, and she looked down for lack of a snappy comeback.  Thankfully, she was saved by a knock at the door.  Rob was on the other side, dressed in a nicely pressed gray suit and bright fuchsia tie. 

"Oh good.  You're both ready."  He tapped the face of his huge, flashy Rolex.  "Let's go!"

The Luxor was just a quick trip down to the other end of the strip, but the car service waited on the curb to pick them up.  Caroline found herself crammed in the backseat in between JC and Rob, both of whom had their phones out and were texting away. 

The party itself was in the trendiest, most elegant club that the Luxor had to offer, which was packed to the gills with every sort of famous person imaginable.  People that Caroline wouldn't have recognized three months ago filtered through the club in every which direction.  JC made a beeline for the bar as soon as they entered the building, and Caroline had no choice but to follow. 

After JC had a glass of scotch and soda in hand, Caroline was surprised to see him take a seat at the bar instead of choosing to mingle around.  He caught her staring at him and raised his eyebrows.

"What?"

"Shouldn't you be..." She twirled her finger around in the air. "Networking?"

JC rolled his eyes.  "I'll let Rob handle that gambit tonight."

Caroline ordered her own drink, and surprised herself by choosing to walk around the club.  It was a beautiful place, with fountains, life-size sculptures, and strange lighting arrangements galore.  She passed Rob more than a couple times, who was indeed hobnobbing his ass off. 

"Hey! Caroline, right?"

Caroline turned away from the sculpture she'd been examining to see her old buddy, Mario Lopez.  Now fully knowing who he was, Caroline had to remind herself not to get starstruck.

"Yeah.  Nice to see you again."  They shook hands and Mario glanced around.

"JC here?"

Caroline nodded.  "He's somewhere."

"Still working for him, huh?" Mario asked with a smile.  "Going on three months, is it?"

"Three and half next week," Caroline corrected.

"Way to go!"  He tipped his glass in her direction.  "Hey, this is the longest he's had one assistant since I've known him."

Caroline raised her own glass and they toasted to her victory.  "I have to say that I can see why."

Mario just chuckled.  "You should come to a taping sometime," he suggested.  "We have fun."

Caroline had watched America's Best Dance Crew on MTV once.  She wouldn't say it was her idea of a fun time, per se.  "Yeah, maybe."

They chatted a bit more about the weekend and the benefit concert when Justin appeared out of nowhere, dressed to the nines in a fancy three-piece suit.

"Look who it is!  Sweet Caroline!" he shouted, pulling her into a crushing one-armed hug.  "Everybody having a good time?"

A flood of people seemed to follow Justin wherever he went, so Caroline quickly lost sight of Mario in the mass of people that suddenly surrounded them.  Justin snatched up her nearly empty glass. 

"Let's get you a refill!  Where's JC?"

As it turned out, Caroline didn't see much of JC at all for the rest of the night.  She returned to the bar a couple of times, but he was nowhere to be seen.  Figuring that he could handle the party on his own, she did an okay job of amusing herself, actually meeting quite a few people.  Justin was a helpful instrument in that department, as he seemed to pop up everywhere and make the necessary connections, always introducing her as "Caroline, assistant to the stars".

Caroline didn't even realize how late it was until she glanced at her Blackberry while she waited at the bar for her fourth (or was it fifth?) drink of the evening.  The phone announced to her that it was nearing midnight, and she yawned at the realization.  The crowd at the club had thinned slightly, but the party didn't look anywhere close to winding down.  Taking a seat on a barstool, she tried texting JC.  He didn't respond, so she moved onto Rob.

Where are you guys?  It's getting late. The bartended returned with her drink and she took a small sip as she set her phone down on the bar and waited for a reply.  She'd just fished the cherry out of her Seven and Seven when the phone vibrated.

It's not late.  Where are you?  was Rob's most unhelpful reply.  Caroline rolled her eyes, replied that she was at the bar, and elected to stay put.  She hadn't realized how tired her feet were from walking around in heels all night until this very moment.

She'd finished off her drink completely and was considering ordering another one when JC appeared.

"Are you drunk?" he demanded, not looking entirely sober himself.  Caroline shook her head.

"No.  Are you?"

JC sat down at the bar next to her, digging into a bowl of peanuts that sat nearby.  "No."

They sat in silence for a few moments, the only sounds coming from JC's mouth as he crunched through the entire bowl of peanuts. 

"I hate these things," he said finally, and Caroline glanced at the empty bowl.

"Why'd you eat them all, then?"

He sighed.  "No, I hate these...party things."

"Oh."  She leaned her chin on her hand and tried to focus her vision.  Maybe she was drunk after all.  "Why?"

"Everyone here is...doing something," JC replied, waving his hand around at the crowd that still filled the club.  "They're all known for something new, something right now.  And what am I doing?"  He pushed the empty peanut bowl away with a grimace.  "Jack shit."

"That's not true," Caroline pointed out.  "You're on a TV show."

"Ooh."  JC shook his head.  "Everyone in this club is probably wondering what the hell I'm doing here."

Caroline stared down at the chrome surface of the bar, not sure what to say. 

"Anyway."  JC wiped his salty hands on the front of his jeans.  "Ready to go?"

Caroline nodded slowly as she slipped her phone back into the clutch she'd brought with her.  JC pulled out his own Blackberry to call the car service.  As he was dialing, Caroline put her hand out and grabbed his wrist.  JC looked at her expectantly, but she wasn't sure exactly what she wanted to say.  She was too tipsy for this.

"Don't sell yourself short," was what came out, and Caroline was pleased to hear that she wasn't slurring any of her words.  "You're a talented person."

JC stared at her for a few seconds before carefully pulling out of her grip.  "That would mean more if you weren't wasted, but thanks all the same."

Caroline sighed.  "I'm not wasted.  And I do mean it."

JC didn't say anything, just called the car service and told them to be out front in five minutes.

 

chapter 10 by rebeccan

Caroline woke up the next morning in the very center of her overly luxurious bed, feeling as though she'd been cradled in a nest of pillows all night.  She took her time getting up, taking a long shower, and ordering room service for breakfast.  The opening ceremony for the amusement park wasn't until 1:00, and she planned to take the morning for herself. 

She was lounging in the sitting room, watching CNN and eating orange slices, when Kevin called.

"How's JC doing?" he asked, after ensuring that their flight had gone well and the hotel had lived up to its expectations. 

"He's fine," Caroline replied.  "I haven't seen him yet this morning, but he's probably still asleep."

"I wasn't sure if he'd still want to go out there, after getting the news," Kevin said, and Caroline set her orange peel down. 

"What news?"

"He didn't tell you?"  Kevin sighed heavily.  "Caroline, JC and I met with some Jive reps on Thursday evening.  They elected to drop him from the label."

Slightly hazy memories of JC's lamenting at the bar the night before came back to Caroline.  "Oh.  I had no idea.  That's...that's too bad."

"He seemed alright the other night, but JC's an interesting guy," Kevin said.  "Sometimes he tends to bottle things up for too long.  I just wanted you to be aware."

After hanging up with Kevin, Caroline finished her breakfast and thought for awhile.  She felt somewhat guilty about the way she'd responded (or hadn't responded) to JC's mood the night before.  Perhaps she could have been a little more consoling.  But then again, she was his assistant, not his crying shoulder.  Torn, she wondered if she should just let him handle it, or make some kind of an effort.

Her overly generous side won out, and she dialed JC's room.  He answered the phone sounding like he had indeed just woken up.

"Good morning," Caroline greeted.  "You feel like going down to the pool for a little while?"

JC was silent for a moment.  "Why?"

"Well."  Caroline pulled on the phone cord and stared out the window.  "It's a nice day out.  And, um...I got a new bathing suit."

She closed her eyes in embarrassment - why the hell had that come out of her mouth?  But it was too late - the damage had been done.

"Well, why didn't you say so?  It's a skimpy one, I hope," JC teased, now fully awake, and Caroline groaned.

"I didn't mean it like that."

"Sure.  Is Brandon going to get mad that you're offering to model your new swimwear for me?"

Caroline decided that her best option was to play it cool.  "Whatever.  Look, I'm heading down there in ten minutes, so be ready if you want to go."

She hung up before he could make any more remarks. 

Caroline didn't make tanning a big habit, at least not as much as most girls from LA.  Therefore, she owned a total of one swimsuit, an old threadbare tankini.  If Brandon had been with her on her outlet shopping trip, there was no way he would have approved of her bikini purchase, but it had been on sale and she'd been feeling impulsive. 

After putting it on, Caroline stood in front of the mirror and scrutinized her reflection.  The bikini was a light orange color that looked great with her peaches and cream complexion, and it really wasn't too skimpy.  Caroline had never considered herself to have a perfect body; she had curvy hips and too-small breasts and not enough ass, everything that had made her self-conscious growing up in beauty-driven Los Angeles.  But all in all...she looked okay.

Either way, she had to wear it now, or JC would accuse her of being a coward.  

Caroline put a sundress on over her suit and grabbed her room key before crossing the hallway to JC's door.  He answered right after she knocked, wearing a pair of swim trunks and a sweatshirt, sunglasses hiding his eyes.  One thing that wasn't hiding was the grin on his face.

"Where's the bikini you promised me?"

"Shut up."  Caroline turned and headed down the hallway, not turning to see if JC followed or not.

"You're going the wrong way," he called after her, and Caroline turned.

"The pool is this way," she said, pointing in the direction of the elevators.  JC shook his head with a smile, pulling his room door shut behind him. 

"You're cute.  We get a special pool, Caroline."

She frowned.  "What?"  JC motioned for her to follow him in the opposite direction. 

As it turned out, their suites gave them access to a "VIP" pool, one of the hotel's many.  This one was located on the roof of the hotel's north tower, and was relatively deserted.  Caroline secured a couple of lounge chairs (not that there was a high demand for them) while JC got towels from the pool attendant.

"You have to take it off eventually," JC pointed out, already lying back on his chair while Caroline fussed over arranging her towel.  He'd removed his sweatshirt and folded his arms behind his head as he watched her.

"This is sexual harassment," she pointed out. 

"What are you going to do?" JC asked.  "Get me fired?  Besides, you're the one who dangled it in front of me on the phone earlier."

"I didn't dangle anything," Caroline mumbled.  Figuring it was best to just get it over with, she pulled her dress over her head quickly and tossed it onto the next chair, scrambling down onto her stomach before JC could get a good look.

"I approve," was all he said before adjusting his sunglasses and turning his face towards the sun.  For some reason, those two words made Caroline feel much more embarrassed than if he'd made a bigger deal. 

After a few minutes of silence, Caroline figured maybe JC had fallen asleep, so she turned over onto her back.  He didn't comment, and she relaxed, allowing herself to bask in the warmth of the sun.  She was almost drifting off herself when JC's voice startled her back into consciousness.

"You have a tattoo?"

He sounded suspiciously close, and Caroline turned to see that he was leaning off of his lounge to peer at her stomach.  She shifted away self-consciously.

"Yes.  Stop staring like that."

JC leaned back a bit but turned on his side to continue appraising her tattoo.  "What is it?"

"It's my family crest."

"Really?" He leaned over again, eyeing the ink that was positioned to the right of her belly button.  "Interesting."

Uncomfortable with his gaze, Caroline shifted again.  "Do you have any tattoos?"

"Nope."  JC shook his head.  "I'm scared of needles."

Caroline laughed out loud, mostly surprised that he'd offered that tidbit up so willingly.

"Go ahead, laugh."  He shrugged.  "I've only been made fun of for it my entire life.  It doesn't really phase me anymore."

"What about when you have to get shots?" Caroline asked.

"I try to avoid those, too."  He gestured at her tattoo once more.  "So you're close with your family?"

Caroline shrugged.  "I try to be."

JC continued to stare at her, his head propped up on his hand, waiting for her to elaborate.  Caroline sighed.  "I get along with my dad and my brothers pretty well.  We don't see each other that often, just holidays and birthdays, stuff like that.  I guess I could call more often, but they're just as busy as I am."

"What about your mom?" JC prompted.  "You never talk about her.

Caroline didn't point out that she shouldn't feel obligated to discuss her family with her boss at all.  "My mom is...we're very different."

"How so?"

"My mom is a difficult person to get along with," Caroline said carefully.  "It's hard to explain.  She and my dad divorced when I was twelve, and I spent the rest of my childhood being shuttled between two homes that were like night and day."

"What do you mean?" JC asked, now fully interested in the conversation.

"It's just...my mom has some very strict ideals on how she thinks people should treat their bodies," Caroline explained.  "Hence the raw food thing.  We were never allowed processed food, we could never eat at restaurants.  We were kind of the school pariahs, the kids that always brought their lunches instead of eating in the cafeteria.  And then my parents divorced, and my dad remarried, and all of a sudden, he wanted to give us a more normal life."

"But you're still a vegan," JC pointed out.

"Yeah, but only because it's hard to sit down and convince yourself that it's okay to eat a cheeseburger when you've been consistently believing for the past twelve years that it's not."  Caroline paused, staring up at the sun until she had to close her eyes from the brightness.  "I don't expect you to understand, no one really does."

"No, I get it."  JC rolled over onto his stomach, his chin resting on the palm of his hand.  "So what about your brothers?  Do they eat...normal?"

"Seth is still a vegan, like me," Caroline replied.  "Cameron...tried branching out for a little bit.  My dad grilled him a steak once for his twenty-first birthday, and he was sick for weeks.  Now he's more of a modified vegetarian, but he's definitely not as strict with his diet as I am."

"So it really just boils down to habit?  You're not an animal rights activist at all."

"Definitely not," Caroline said.  "I don't know.  It just kinda works for me, so I didn't see any reason to change."

"But you and your mom still don't get along?" JC asked.  Caroline shook her head slowly.

"Not so much.  Like I said, she's difficult to get along with.  She's very...extreme with her beliefs."

"And your stepmom?"

Caroline laughed out loud.  "Cathy is difficult not to like.  You two would probably have a lot to talk about, she enjoys spending money almost as much as you do."

JC's brow furrowed.  "Is that supposed to be an insult?  I'll have you know that I am a very frugal person."

Caroline leveled a gaze at him.  "How much were those swim trunks, JC?"

He glanced down at his shorts.  "These are Ed Hardy."  Caroline waited.  "They were on sale."  JC sighed at her expectant look.  "Seven hundred."

"That's ridiculous," she said plainly, and JC rolled his eyes.

"Oh, and how much did you pay for your fancy little bikini over there?"

"Fifty," Caroline announced proudly, pleased to see the way JC's jaw dropped a little bit.

"Fifty dollars?" he repeated.  "For the top and the bottom?"

"Yep."

He laid his head down on top of his folded arms.  "Maybe I need to start hitting the outlets, too."

For someone who had just been dropped by his record label, JC seemed like he was in fairly good spirits, and Caroline hated to admit it, but she actually had a good time with him.  When it was time to head inside, he took off his sunglasses in the elevator and stared at her openly. 

"What?" Caroline demanded, putting her hands on her hips.  JC just smiled and pressed his fingertips to the back of her right shoulder.  Caroline started to ask what the hell his problem was when the pain set in.

"Shit," she gasped, craning her neck to see her sunburned skin.  "I forgot about sunscreen completely."

JC just leaned against the wall of the elevator, a smug look on his face.  "I always wear SPF 35.  Keeps me looking young."

"Well, I guess I'm lucky that I don't need as much help in that department as you do," Caroline snapped back, but JC just smirked.  "Damn it."

The sunburn made getting dressed for the day a bit more difficult for Caroline, but she made due, and managed to meet JC downstairs, where the car service was waiting. 

Rob met them at the park, wearing dark sunglasses and a frown.

"Thanks for ditching me last night," he griped.  "I had to pay for a cab."

"Sorry," JC said, sounding anything but contrite.  "Caroline was drunk, I had to drag her away from the bar."

"That's not true," she said, but both men ignored her as they began to speak about the schedule for the day.  There was a small press area set up at the entrance to the park, complete with a red carpet and a small mass of photographers and reporters.  A few had already spotted JC and were pointing in their direction. 

"Well, let's get this over with," Rob suggested, ushering JC in the direction of the cameras.  Caroline hung back as best as possible, but no one paid her any attention as usual.  She'd already experienced this atmosphere at the first party he'd dragged her to, back in the very beginning of her employment.  The chaos of the moment no longer flustered her, and she instead found a way to skirt by all of the flashing cameras and wait for Rob and JC on the other side.

The park opening had no shortage of celebrities, but not nearly as many as the crowd at the Luxor the night before.  Instead, the park had been opened specifically for kids and families from the local children's hospital, and despite the extreme heat of the day, everyone looked like they were having fun already.  Caroline spotted Justin nearby being interviewed by a local news station.

It only took JC about fifteen minutes to navigate through the press, and he looked to be in a much worse mood afterward.  Rob, on the other hand, was almost bouncing out of his Gucci sneakers. 

"This is great exposure, man.  Great press," he gushed.  "This was a fantastic idea, Caroline.  Between today and tonight, this is a publicist's wet dream."

"Ew," Caroline replied, making a face.  "And technically, it wasn't my idea."

"That's right, it was mine."  Justin appeared behind Rob, a huge grin on his face.  "Where were ya last night, man?  I didn't see you anywhere," he asked JC, clapping a hand on his shoulder.

"I was around," JC replied cryptically.  "Could you have picked a hotter weekend for this, Justin?"

"Nice, isn't it?"  Justin patted Caroline's shoulder as well, not noticing her wince.  "Come on, guys, we've got some great stuff to check out."

Justin and his manager, a friendly woman named Teresa, proceeded to take three of them on a tour of the park.  It wasn't very big, but for what it lacked in size, it made up for in grandeur.  Some of the rides were over the top, including a rollercoaster that ran backwards.  Caroline thought it seemed a little too intense for kids, but then again, she'd never been a big fan of rollercoasters, period.

Every so often, a kid or two would stop Justin and/or JC for autographs and pictures.  One teenage girl nearly started crying at the sight of them alone, and Caroline was slightly stunned by the reaction.  Even more surprising was the way JC handled everything with remarkable aplomb.  He was sweet and welcoming to each kid that came his way.  Caroline wondered if maybe Rob was right in some roundabout way - perhaps this kind of exposure was just what JC needed.  He really spent too much time locked up in his studio.

Eventually, they ended up at the backwards roller coaster, and Justin actually clapped his hands in excitement. 

"Oh, we are doing this for sure," he announced.  "Come on, we'll cut the line."

Caroline hung back, prepared to sit this one out, but Rob noticed.  "Come on, Caroline."

"No, I don't think -" she started, but Justin grabbed her by the elbow. 

"You're gonna love it," he sang, and dragged her up the back steps that lead to the top of the ride. 

"I'm really not a big rollercoaster person," she tried to say, but most everyone ignored her.

"This looks sweet!" Rob exclaimed, pointing out the three consecutive loops on the ride.  Justin began to yammer on about the test ride he'd taken on it last month, and Caroline turned to JC for help.

"JC, I really don't want to do this."  He glanced up from his phone to consider her.

"Why not?"

"I just...I don't like rollercoasters," she admitted.  "I never have."

JC just shrugged.  "Okay.  I'm not a big fan, either.  We'll just sit it out."

Caroline relaxed slightly, but when the ride attendant approached to ask how many seats they'd be occupying, Justin announced "four" rather loudly. 

"Um, I'm not-" she began, but was cut off again when the attendant motioned her to take a seat on the insane looking contraption.  "I'm really not-"

"Stop freaking out," Rob urged, pushing her in the direction of the rollercoaster car.  "It's perfectly safe."

Caroline looked at JC for help, but Justin was pushing him in right behind her.

"I really don't want to do this, sir," Caroline said, trying to be polite to the attendant as he helped strap her in, but he just smiled. 

"It'll be over before you know it," he said, pushing down on the bars that locked over her shoulders.  JC sat down heavily in the seat next to her with a sigh.

"JC, I can't do this," she repeated, starting to get frantic.  The attendant had apparently locked her into the ride, and now she was stuck.  The thought alone was enough to make her hysterical.  "I really can't."

"The trick with Justin is just to humor him at least once, then he'll leave us alone," JC said, not looking at Caroline as the attendant connected the strap between his legs.  "Hey, whoa.  Careful."

"JC."  Caroline grabbed his arm and dug her nails in, her hands already trembling.  He finally looked at her, meeting her eyes and beginning to understand.  "Please."

"You're really scared of this?" he asked, and Caroline nodded.  JC's expression shifted from ennui to concern, and he nodded slowly.

"Okay.  Don't panic."  His voice had shifted into the same tone that he'd used with her when his car had overheated, and Caroline felt her racing heartbeat slow just slightly.  "Excuse me."

JC flagged over the attendant after he finished strapping in Rob and Justin, both of whom were still oblivious to Caroline's discomfort.  "Everything okay?"

"No, actually."  JC gestured at Caroline.  "She changed her mind and needs to get off.  Can you let her out, please?"

The attendant shrugged.  "Sorry, I can't do that.  Once the harnesses are locked in, they're locked in until the ride is over."

JC's calm expression twisted into a frown.  "That's insane.  She wants to be let off of the ride, you need to let her off."

The attendant shook his head slowly.  "I'm sorry, but if I let her off, I'll have to shut the entire system down and re-check everyone on the ride."

"That shouldn't matter," JC continued, his voice rising.  "Let me speak to your manager."

The attendant just shrugged again, backing away.  "I'm the only one up here.  Sorry, man."

Caroline's heart dropped to her stomach as the attendant stepped into the booth that would allow him to start the ride.  She closed her eyes and willed herself not to cry even as a few tears slipped down her cheeks.  "Oh, my God.  Oh, my God," she repeated, wishing like hell that she'd been more adventurous as a kid, so that maybe now she wouldn't be scared out of her mind.

"Hey."  JC's soothing voice broke into her thoughts and Caroline felt his hand close around hers.  "Caroline.  Look at me."

She forced herself to do as he asked, her breathing speeding up as the ride began to move. 

"It's okay," JC said calmly, his blue eyes piercing hers.  "You're gonna be fine."

The rollercoaster began to rise, but as it ran backwards, Caroline couldn't see a thing about where they were going, and she whimpered.  JC threaded his fingers through hers.

"Just close your eyes," he suggested, squeezing her hand.  "These things are over really fast."

Caroline did as he suggested, closing her eyes tightly and pressing her head against the back of the seat.  Somewhere to her right, she could hear Rob and Justin whooping in excitement.  But JC's voice was still in her ear. 

"You're okay," he repeated, still holding her hand tightly.  "I've got you."

True to JC's word, the ride was over before Caroline knew it.  She didn't scream, or even breathe much.  All she focused on was JC's hand holding hers, as if his grip on her was the only thing keeping her tethered to the ride.  Her eyes stayed screwed shut the entire time, and she didn't dare to open them until the car had pulled to a complete stop. 

The shoulder harnesses snapped up with a hydraulic hiss, but Caroline made no move to get up.  

"Caroline," JC said gently.  "You okay?" 

She nodded, realizing then that their hands were still locked together.  Now that her heart rate had started to slow, and her body began to realize that she was indeed still alive, embarrassment began to set in.  Caroline disentangled her fingers from JC's and brought her hand back to her own lap. 

JC didn't seem to notice her humiliation as he steadied her arm while she climbed out of the seat.  Rob and Justin were both bouncing up and down now, sharing high-fives about how awesome the rollercoaster had been.  Caroline made her way down the stairs behind them slowly, her legs still feeling as though they would give out any second.  JC walked behind her silently.

"Hey, are you sure you're okay?" he asked once they reached the bottom of the stairwell.  Caroline nodded and wiped a lingering tear off of her face.

"I'm fine.  Just, um...not a big daredevil."

JC just smiled, and to Caroline's surprise, reached out to smooth a hand over her hair.  It was a consolatory gesture, but a familiar one, too, and it put an odd feeling of butterflies in Caroline's stomach.

"Yeah, me either.  You did good." 

Next, Justin treated them all to lunch at the park's food court.  Although "treated" was a stretch - all the food that day was free for the park's guests.  They found a table in the shade and sat around it, Caroline grateful for the moment to catch her breath after her death-defying afternoon.  Justin launched immediately into various stories and anecdotes to entertain them, Rob laughing obnoxiously and often.  Caroline was quickly learning that Justin, while certainly a nice guy, definitely enjoyed being the center of attention.  Which probably explained his phenomenal success.

JC, on the other hand, was naturally more introverted.  He didn't seem to have any desire to really be noticed or in the spotlight 24/7.  Caroline was pretty sure that, if he had the option, he'd be content to stay in the studio for the rest of his life, never doing another interview again.  As it were, he only contributed to Justin's stories when his friend prompted.

"And I feel like the number one question I get these days is about whether or not I knew Lance was gay," Justin lamented.  "I mean...come on.  Am I right, Jace?"

JC shrugged as he popped a French fry in his mouth.  "I try not to assume things."

Rob shook his head emphatically.  "Man, even I knew he was gay and I've never even met the guy!"

Justin laughed and Caroline took a sip of her Coke, listening to the back and forth without much to contribute.  They continued to talk about people she didn't know or care about, and the dirt that piled up could have set her up for life if she'd ever arranged to sell any of it to the tabloids.

JC seemed to feel the same way.  "You two are lucky that Caroline signed a confidentiality agreement or you would be so screwed."

"Shoot, with all the dirt I hear, it's shocking that I haven't gone to the tabloids yet," Rob added. 

"Except for the fact that you would wreck your career," Caroline pointed out, and JC rolled his eyes.

"I don't know if you can really call what Rob does a ‘career', but okay."

Justin tossed his head back and laughed.  "You guys are great."  He finished off the last of his water and glanced at his watch, an expensive looking, diamond studded number.  "I've gotta jet for some more press stuff, Teresa's gonna kick my ass.  I'll see all of you tonight, yeah?"

 The day was only getting hotter, and JC managed to talk Rob into going back to the hotel early without too much struggle.  The car service dropped them off at the hotel, and on the walk to the elevators, Rob suggested they catch an early dinner at one of the Wynn's many four-star gourmet restaurants.  JC started to shake his head, but Caroline spoke up.

"Actually, they apparently have a really great vegan chef here," she said.  "At least, that's what I've heard."

"Great, it's settled then."  Rob glanced at his watch.  "Let's say, Stratta at five-thirty?"

Even as he was speaking, someone caught Rob's eye across the lobby.  "Whoops, gotta jet.  See you guys later," he called over his shoulder as he hurried off. 

The ride up in the elevator was silent, and JC didn't offer much more than a grunt before heading into his own room.  Caroline tried to force herself to lay down and nap for her free hour, but all she could manage to think about was the way JC had touched her hair earlier.  She had the odd feeling that something had changed between them, but she wasn't sure what exactly it was or when it had happened.

Trying to shake it off, she got ready for dinner and crossed the hallway to knock on JC's door.  He answered with his phone in hand.

"Rob just called," he said.  "He's busy with another client.  So I guess it's just you and me." 

Caroline must have looked wary, because he put his hands in his pockets and shrugged.  "Or not, you know.  Whatever."

"No, it's fine," she insisted.  "Let's go."

The biggest problem with Rob not being there was the wait.  JC was too humble to use his celebrity to get a good table quickly, whereas Rob wouldn't have hesitated for a second.  So they sat in the restaurant's foyer, squeezed onto a bench with three other people, for at least twenty minutes.  JC jiggled his knee the entire time, but the hostess called his name before Caroline could begin tearing her hair out.

They sat down, perused menus, and ate bread in relative silence.  Caroline felt as though an uncomfortable air had settled in around them and wondered if JC felt it, too.  It was as if he'd crossed an invisible, unspoken line earlier at the park, instantly rendering things awkward between them.

The waiter came to take their orders before leaving them in silence again.  JC held up the bottle of wine he'd ordered, but Caroline shook her head.  She felt out of sorts enough without alcohol clouding up her system.

"So."  JC leaned back in his chair after taking a healthy gulp of wine and drummed his fingers on the table.  "Having fun?"

"Yeah, sure."  Caroline nodded and un-crossed and re-crossed her legs slowly.  "Um.  Kevin called me this morning."

"Oh," JC replied, not looking interested at all. 

"He told me about...what happened with Jive," Caroline said slowly, making sure to gauge JC's reaction carefully.  "I'm sorry, JC.  That really...sucks."

"Well."  He shrugged.  "Shit happens."

"I just thought you might be upset," Caroline said.  JC topped off his wine glass and took another sip.

"Nope.  I'm fine."  He changed the subject then, and Caroline couldn't quite tell if he really was over it or just didn't want to talk to her about it. 

When their food came, JC raised his eyebrows at Caroline's vegetable biryani.  "What?"

"I guess I still think it's crazy you've never tried any meat."  He sliced into his own steak, and forked a piece into his mouth.  Caroline watched, amused, as he tipped his head back and groaned.  "Damn.  This is good.  So good."

Caroline took a bite of her own meal and nodded thoughtfully.  "Mine's good, too."

"No, no.  You don't understand."  JC took another bite of his steak.  "This is...amazing."

"Okay. I'm glad you like it."

"Try some," he insisted, pushing his plate across the table towards her.  Caroline shook her head instantly, not even needing to take a moment to deliberate. 

"No, thank you." 

"Seriously."  JC cut off a piece of his steak and pushed it across the plate in her direction.  "What if you like it?"

Caroline just shrugged.

"You've never even been curious?" he asked.

"Not really."

"Come on," JC prodded, a small, persuasive grin beginning to spread over his face.  She had seen this same grin emerge on the few occasions she'd witnessed him dealing with other producers or artists when he wanted his way on a particular song.  "You know you want to."

"Actually, I really don't," Caroline corrected, pausing to take a sip of her water.  "And if I did, don't you think  I would have tried something by now?  Between my dad and Brandon, I've gotten various meat products shoved in my face for years.  What makes you think you'll be the one to break me?"

JC's eyes sparkled in the dim light of the restaurant.  He forked the bite of steak into his mouth with a satisfied smile.  "That sounded like a challenge to me."

Caroline realized the implications of his statement and rested her elbow on the tabletop with a heavy sigh.  "No, JC."

"I never back down from a challenge," he practically sang, cutting off another bite of steak.  Caroline rubbed her forehead.

"Well, I challenge you not to make this your number one priority from now on."

"Sorry, that challenge conflicts with the previously accepted challenge."  JC kept grinning at her from across the table.

"Fine, but you have to play fair," Caroline said, pointing at him.  "That means no trying to sneak meat into my food.  It has to be of my own free will."

"Done."  JC finished off the last of his steak and washed it down with a healthy gulp of wine.  "Should we shake on it to make it official?"

Caroline rolled her eyes but held her hand across the table wordlessly.  JC took it firmly in his own. 

"A gentlemen's agreement," he announced gleefully.  Caroline frowned as she remembered the way he had held her hand on the rollercoaster earlier that day, and pulled her hand back to her own lap, feeling a peculiar shame deep in her core.  "Nervous?"

"No."  Caroline glanced at her watch to avoid making eye contact with JC.  "It's late.  We'd better get going.  Is Rob meeting us at the concert?"

JC shrugged and signaled for the check.  "Not sure.  Don't really care, either.  Do you need a box?"

Caroline glanced down at her half-finished dinner and found that she had suddenly lost her appetite. 

"No.  Let's just...get tonight done." 

 

chapter 11 by rebeccan
Author's Notes:
Note: I'm going on holiday next week, so this will be the last update for a little while. Thanks for the reviews so far, and keep them coming! I love to hear what you guys think. :)

The next morning, for the first time in at least twenty years, Caroline slept through her alarm.

She woke up at 7:30, a full hour later than she had intended, with a start.  It took a second for her to realize where she was, and she glanced around the room, her heart in her throat.  Slowly, it began to settle in that she was in her own hotel room, alone.  She was still wearing  the blouse she'd worn to the concert the night before, her jeans lying on the floor in a crumpled heap.  She hadn't even taken her earrings out, and her unwashed face felt like it was covered in a sticky layer of grime.

Caroline stared at the clock for a full two minutes before the implications of the time set in.  She had a brunch to be ready for by 9, and before that, had a meeting planned with Rob and JC to discuss specifics on a few future press opportunities.  Caroline struggled to slip out of the sheets that were tangled around her legs, nearly tripping over her discarded shoes on the way into the bathroom.

Once in the shower, the hot water helped wake her up and refresh her memory of the night before.

 

"Okay, you're gonna need to stop that."

"What?"

Caroline cocked her head.  "That.  That tapping you're doing."

JC took his hand off of the table and crossed his arms over his chest with a sigh.  "Sorry."

Caroline shifted in the uncomfortably tall chair she sat in, hooking the heels of her shoes awkwardly over the bottom rung.  "Why are you so antsy?"

JC shrugged in response, his eyes on the stage.  A waitress appeared with their drink orders, and Caroline picked hers up in relief.  At dinner, she'd avoided the wine purposefully, but now it was clear that she needed something to take the edge off.  JC had been restless all evening, and it was starting to rub off onto her. She held the martini glass to her lips and took a long, slow sip, enjoying the burn of the gin on the way down her throat.

The band currently performing onstage was some pop country getup that Caroline had never heard of, and she was glad.  They weren't horrible, per se, they just weren't her taste at all.  The droning notes and high trill of the female singer's voice was starting to grate on her, and she was relieved when their set ended and Justin was back onstage.  He was serving as a sort of emcee-cum-celebrity host, jogging out to thank each act and offer a few words to the crazed audience.  Caroline had to admit that she was thankful for the venue's balcony VIP section - there was no way she wanted to be down in the throngs of people below.  The atmosphere up top was much more regal, and she'd had to work hard keep herself from gaping when Paul McCartney walked by to greet JC at one point.

Caroline pulled the olive out of her drink and popped in her mouth, trying to glance at her watch as discreetly as possible.  It wasn't discreet enough, however, because JC noticed.

"You want to leave?" he asked, gesturing towards her.  "Let's go."

"No."  Caroline folded her hands in her lap.  "It's not even half over."

Before JC could respond, Rob appeared.  He'd met them at the venue and had been running his publicist gambit all night.  Every so often, he would stop by their table to sit for a few moments and possibly bring by various reporters that had scored press passes to the event.  Caroline was beginning to see that JC was officially being pimped out by Rob, and it was no wonder that he wanted to leave.  She could only imagine how eager he was to get home to LA the following afternoon, where he could retreat to his life of monotony and safety in the studio.

"Great news," Rob announced, leaning on the table with a dangerous gleam in his eye.  "I've got People's entertainment editor coming over for a feature in five minutes."

JC actually groaned.  "Come on, man.  Are you gonna do this all night?"

"Yes," Rob replied plainly.  "This is big, JC.  And she promised to ask questions about your album."

"No," JC cut in, looking dead serious.  "I don't want that."

"JC-"

"No way in hell, Rob."  JC started to stand.  "Or I'm leaving."

Rob looked towards Caroline, panicked.  She held up her hands towards JC.

"JC, wait a second."  He sighed, but paused, one hand on his hip.  "Let's just...compromise."

"This is great exposure for your music," Rob pointed out desperately.  "You've done an incredible amount of promotion for ABDC, but this weekend is about you, what you're up to.  Fans want to know."

"Rob, you know as well as I do that there most likely isn't even going to be an album anymore," JC said.  "The last thing I want to do is talk about how it's not coming out any time soon."

"Compromise," Caroline interjected before Rob could reply.  "JC, you'll do the feature.  Rob, make sure they don't ask any questions about the album.  New writing and producing projects are free game."

Rob nodded tightly, his mouth set in a hard line.  JC sat back down.

"Here she comes," Rob said.  "Be nice."

Caroline started to get up to head towards the bar, as she'd done for the past five reporters that Rob had brought over to the table.  This time, JC held up his hand. 

"Stay, please." 

Caroline opened her mouth to question him, but the People writer was at their table before she could.

"Hi, I'm Jenna Lyman," she greeted, shaking JC's hand.  "Thanks for meeting with me."

"No problem."  JC motioned for her to sit down.  "Obviously you know Rob, and this is my assistant, Caroline."

"Hi."  Jenna nodded in Caroline's direction before pulling out a tape recorder.  "Do you mind?" she asked, and JC shook his head.

"Not in the slightest."  He took a sip of his drink as Jenna got out a pen.  Caroline traced a line in the condensation on her glass and glanced towards the stage below, where some no-name rapper had emerged to begin his set. 

She only half-listened as the reporter asked some perfunctory questions on what JC had been up to, including the TV show.  She asked about the album once, but Rob stepped in dutifully, if not dejectedly.

"JC won't be answering any questions about his personal music," he said.  "But he'd be glad to talk about the many high profile artists he's been in the studio with as of late."

Jenna obligingly asked a few questions about JC's producing talents, before moving onto a subject that Caroline hadn't heard breached before.

"So, the Backstreet Boys are rumored to have a new album coming out, along with a reunion tour," she said.  "Can we hope for the same from NSYNC?"

"No," JC answered quickly.

"Why not?" Jenna prodded, leaning across the table.  "Obviously you're in touch with Justin, being involved in this weekend with him.  Why can't we expect to see anything from you guys?"

JC shrugged.  "Because we're all doing our own thing now.  It's just not in the cards."

It was definitely an ambiguous answer, but the reporter pressed for more without pause.

"Not even one show?  For charity?"

"Nope."  JC leaned back in his chair, looking sufficiently frustrated.

"I spoke with Lance Bass in New York a few weeks ago," Jenna continued, "and he mentioned that he'd be all for a reunion album, that he'd love to get back in the studio with you guys."

"Well, good for him," JC said flatly.  "I'd have to disagree."

"Would you say you've fallen out with your former band mates, then?" Jenna asked, and Caroline had to admit that the woman had balls.  "Is it a personal thing?"

"No," JC ground out, his gaze beginning to harden visibly, even in the darkness of the club.  "It's a moot point.  It's not going to happen, ever."

"Even though it's what the fans want?"

"If we're not happy doing it, we're not going to do it," JC snapped.  "End of story.  Any more questions?"

Jenna flipped her notepad shut and picked up her tape recorder.  "No, that's all.  Thanks for your time."

JC grumbled something before slipping out of his chair and stalking off.  Rob made sure to thank Jenna graciously, doing his best damage control, while Caroline watched JC's form pass through the crowded room until she couldn't see him anymore.

"Shit," Rob breathed once the reporter had moved on.  "What the hell was that?  What is up with him?"

"Clearly it was a sore subject," Caroline said, finishing off the last of her drink.  "It was her fault for nagging at it."

Rob frowned at her.  "How do you know it's a sore spot?  Did he talk to you about it?"

"No, it's just...obvious.  The way he reacted, it's not something he wants to talk about."

Rob shook his head.  "Maybe you should be in charge of getting him interviews from now on.  How am I supposed to work with someone who doesn't want to work with me?"

"It's not exactly an easy time right now," Caroline said.  "You can't push him too hard, Rob.  If he wants to talk about ABDC, then that's what his interviews will be about.  If he doesn't want to talk about his album or NSYNC, then don't push it."

"What are you, his emotional bodyguard?"  Now sufficiently grumpy, Rob picked up JC's drink, draining what was left of the alcohol before disappearing.  Caroline was left alone at the table, and she stared unseeing at the rapper onstage as she weighed her options.  Either she could stay inside and get a cab back to the hotel later when JC inevitably hijacked the car service, or she could try to track him down now.

Neither option sounded ideal to Caroline, but she followed her gut and picked up her purse.

Thankfully, she didn't have to go far.  JC was standing in a deserted hallway next to the coat check, and she'd nearly passed right by him on her way towards the door.

"Hey."  She stepped into the dim hallway, and JC glanced up at her, slipping his phone back in his pocket.

"If you're going to try and plead Rob's case, don't even bother," he said, crossing his arms.  "I'm serious."

"I know."  Caroline leaned against the opposite wall.  "I don't work for Rob, so his case is essentially meaningless to me."

JC relaxed slightly, putting his hands in his pockets.  "Well.  Good."

"Why'd you freak out?" Caroline asked, throwing caution to the wind.

"I didn't freak out," JC said.  "She was a bitch."

Caroline didn't disagree, but she didn't say so out loud.  "Since when is the NSYNC thing so unapproachable?"

"Since everyone seems to think it's necessary that we do it," JC replied.  "I don't want to do it."

"But you just told me a couple weeks ago that you thought the band had at least two more albums worth of potential," Caroline pointed out.  "So why can't you pick up where you left off?"

JC didn't answer for a few minutes and Caroline leaned in.  "JC?"

"Because I don't want to be the asshole that crawls on my hands and knees, begging Justin to take me back," he said finally, his voice surprisingly soft.  "If Lance wants to play that card...fine.  But I don't.  Maybe I'm too prideful, but...that's not something I want to do, ever."

Caroline could understand that.  "Alright."

JC stared at her.  "That's it?  Alright?"

She shrugged.  "Yeah.  Why should you put out the idea that you need NSYNC to be successful?  It's not true."

JC continued to stare at her for so long that Caroline started to feel uncomfortable.  Her palms were suddenly damp, and she wiped them on her jeans nervously.  "What?"

"Just..." JC shook his head as he finally looked away, staring down the hallway.  "Nothing, nevermind."

"No, what?"  Knowing full well that she was on the precipice of crossing into dangerous territory, Caroline took a step towards JC in the tight space. He glanced at her out of the corner of his eye, his lips pursed.

"You just...you get me sometimes," he admitted, and Caroline had an odd moment where she felt like time stopped.  "I guess that's a good thing."

Caroline nodded slowly, afraid to breathe.  "In a...professional sense."

JC nodded, too.  "Of course."

Another few seconds of silence passed, then JC's phone rang, and Caroline practically jumped away, her back hitting the wall behind her.  JC pulled his phone out and answered it, and Caroline took the opportunity step out of the hallway and take a deep breath before she got their coats.

JC met her at the coat desk and obligingly stuffed a few bills in the tip jar before turning to her. 

"Ready?  The car's outside."

Caroline nodded and moved to hand JC his leather jacket.  He took her wool pea coat out of her arms instead, and motioned for her to turn around.  Caroline did so, slowly, and allowed him to help her into her jacket.  Though his hands never actually made contact with her, it was an unmistakably intimate gesture, not unlike the way he had touched her hair earlier in the day.

"Thanks," was all she could muster up, and it was barely audible.  Hoping the coat attendant couldn't see the blush on her face, she headed for the door without looking back.

 

Caroline shut the shower off as the water began to run cold, and stepped out into the steamy bathroom, groping for a towel.  She wiped away the fog on the mirror and stared at herself as she wrapped the towel around her body.  Her mind was racing with thoughts of last night - all she remembered about the trip back to the hotel was JC sitting silent in the backseat next to her, his hands in his lap as he stared out the window. 

Their interaction at the club had made her feel so out of sorts that Caroline had only taken time to shed her pants before climbing into bed and pulling the covers over her face.  She had hoped that, if she went to sleep quickly enough, maybe she could forget the entire night.

Clearly, her plan hadn't worked, Caroline thought as she worked a comb through her hair. 

She wasn't even close to being ready when someone began banging on the door of her suite.

"Oh, perfect," Rob lamented when she opened the door, still wearing the hotel-issue bathrobe.  "We've only been waiting on you for fifteen minutes, and you're not even dressed."

Caroline swallowed and spotted JC standing behind Rob in the hallway, his hands in his pockets. 

"Sorry, I...overslept," she admitted, tightening the belt on her robe self-consciously.  "Give me five minutes."

Rob glanced at his watch, his face set in a perma-frown.  Apparently, he was still cranky about the night before.

"You know the brunch is at nine, right?"  At Caroline's nod, Rob sighed heavily and turned on his heel, heading back into JC's open door.  "Just hurry up!" he barked over his shoulder, leaving Caroline and JC alone in the hallway.

"I'm sorry, JC," Caroline offered, leaning against the doorframe.  He just shrugged.

"It happens.  Take your time, I'll deal with Rob." 

He turned back towards his own door, but not before his eyes scanned over Caroline's body quickly.  It was barely noticeable, but enough to send a flood of color to her cheeks.  She closed her room door with a click and let out the breath she'd been holding.

Caroline got dressed in record time and made it next door before Rob burst a blood vessel.  It was easy to forget about her discomfort as they talked about business, thankfully - especially as she found herself playing a mediator between Rob and JC.  Rob was clearly still ticked at JC for his performance from the night before, and JC had adopted the most difficult attitude possible for whatever reason.  Caroline felt like a mom as she struggled to help the two reach compromise on various upcoming events.

Rob calmed down some by the time they got to the brunch, only ten minutes late.  The spread was impressive, set up in a four-star restaurant off the strip.  The atmosphere was elegant and understated, opposing the chaos and grandeur of the concert the night before.  JC, Caroline, and Rob sat at a large round table with a couple of Rob's other clients, an actress from one of the hot, new teenage TV dramas, and an up and coming male R&B singer.  Along with other managers and assistants, it was a full table, but Caroline enjoyed the chance to relax a bit, content just to listen to the various snippets of conversation taking place around the table.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much that she could eat besides a plain bagel and some fruit.  JC tried unsuccessfully to sneak a piece of bacon onto her plate, frowning when she removed it.

"You don't know what you're missing," he said.  "Bacon is literally the best taste you could ever possibly have in your mouth."

"So I hear.  Brandon loves bacon.  In fact, he..." Caroline trailed off as a cold feeling twisted around her gut.  "Oh, shit."

"What?" JC mumbled around his mouth full of eggs.  Caroline took her napkin out of her lap and fumbled for her Blackberry in her purse.  She'd had it on silent since the night before, and her worst fears came true when she saw how many missed calls she had.  Most were work-related, from Kevin and such, but three of them were from Brandon.  Caroline swallowed hard as she pushed her chair back from the table.

"Where are you going?" JC asked. 

"I haven't...I forgot to call Brandon yesterday."  Caroline felt sick to her stomach - she hadn't just forgotten to call him, she'd forgotten about him completely.  "I've got to...I'll be right back."

Caroline found a quiet spot in the front lobby of the restaurant, taking a seat on a plush loveseat as she dialed Brandon with shaking hands.  He answered on the fourth ring, and Caroline paused a moment as she wondered whether to play it cool or be apologetic.

"Hello?" Brandon repeated, and Caroline closed her eyes in embarrassment.

"Hey, it's me."

Brandon hesitated only a moment, but it was enough to let Caroline know that she'd screwed up, badly.

"Oh.  Hi."

She sighed.  "Baby, I'm so sorry.  I was swamped yesterday, and I just..."

"Forgot," Brandon finished.  "It's okay, whatever."

Clearly, he didn't think it was okay at all.  "Brandon, I really am sorry."

"Yeah."

"So, um..."  Caroline fisted her hand in the material of her dress and squeezed.  "How are you?"

"Fine," he replied.  "Tired."

Caroline knew she should know why, but she couldn't find the answer in her brain.  "What'd you do last night?"

Brandon sighed softly.  "We had the show, in Irvine."

"Oh, oh right."  Caroline winced.  "How'd it go?"

"Not great.  We had to find a replacement drummer at the last minute; Jake's daughter was sick."

"Oh, no.  Who did you get?"

Caroline listened to Brandon talk about the show for a little bit longer, praying that he would soften as they spoke, but his voice remained as controlled as ever.  She knew that she was in for quite a task when she got home that afternoon.  Brandon wasn't the type to get into it over the phone, and it was obvious that he was holding back to let her have it in person.  He wasn't happy - that much was crystal clear.

After hanging up, Caroline stayed on the couch for a few moments, tipping her head back to stare at the ceiling, feeling melancholy.  Little pinpricks of guilt poked at her uncomfortably, no matter how hard she tried to ignore them.  She hadn't done anything essentially wrong, but...that didn't change how bad she felt inside.

The loveseat sunk in slightly as someone joined her on the next cushion.  Caroline glanced over out of one eye to see Justin smiling at her.

"What's up?" he asked, extending his arm along the back of the couch.  "Hung over?"

"No."  Caroline turned her phone over and over in her hands.  "Just...ready to go home."

"Didn't you have fun this weekend?" Justin asked, and Caroline thought it over.  Despite certain...moments, she'd enjoyed herself overall.  Even that felt bad to admit to.

"Yeah, I did.  This was a great idea, Justin.  Really well-executed.  Thanks again for thinking of JC."

Justin cocked his head.  "Oh, now you're shifting into business mode.  Sorry, I don't want to talk to JC's assistant, I want to talk to Caroline."

"It was fun," she insisted with a shrug.  "I think JC had a good time, too."

Justin just shook his head.  "You're being diplomatic again.  I know JC didn't have a good time."

"What do you mean?"

"Caroline, come on.  I'm not an idiot."  Justin smiled again, but it wasn't his usual cocky grin.  "I know JC.  This kind of thing isn't his scene at all.  He came because you and Rob essentially forced him to."

Caroline thought about disagreeing, but figured there was no point.  "Yeah, well.  It's good for him to get out of his house every once in awhile, whether he actually wants to or not."

Justin shifted in his seat, turning towards her.  His body language had changed and he looked more serious than Caroline had ever seen him.  "Is he doing okay?  I mean...I heard what happened with Jive."

If Justin knew, that could only mean too many people had already found out.  Caroline made a mental note to start recompensing for that when she got back to the office - JC would need to make a statement or two to keep the rumors from flaring up any further. 

"He'll be okay," Caroline said carefully.  "He has a lot going on, what with the TV show and the other artists he's been working with.  He's busy."

Justin nodded slightly, and Caroline could see real concern in his eyes.  "I just, uh...we're not as close as we used to be, you know?  But I look up to him.  I have, ever since I was thirteen.  He was always older and cooler and...so talented."  Justin leaned back against the couch and stared off into the distance.  "I mean, have you seen the man dance?  He's got the moves."

Caroline laughed.  "I'll have to check that out some time."

"He's...he's a great guy," Justin admitted.  "One of the most dedicated people I've ever met in my life.  I've always wanted his respect more than anything else."

"He respects you," Caroline assured him.  "It's just...a transitioning time for him."

"You're a people pleaser, aren't you?" Justin laughed, but patted her shoulder affectionately.  "Thanks, Caroline."

"What's going on?"  JC's voice broke into their conversation, and Caroline glanced up to see him striding into the lobby.  "Justin, Teresa's looking for you."

Justin stood up, but not before pulling JC into a quick hug.  "Thanks for being here this weekend, man.  It means a lot to me."

JC just nodded stiffly.  "Yeah, no problem."

"You guys have a great flight, I'll see you back in LA."  Justin winked at Caroline before heading back into the main dining room.  JC sat down on the arm of the couch.

"You in trouble?"

Caroline slipped her phone back into her purse.  "No.  We need to be at the airport in an hour."

"Yep.  Let's finish eating first."  He stood again, but turned back to look at her.  "You sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine."  Caroline stood up and mentally composed herself, smoothing the palms of her hands over her dress.  Sure, she had a shitstorm waiting at home, but it wasn't anything she couldn't manage. 

Hopefully. 

 

chapter 12 by rebeccan

Caroline knew it was illegal in California to drive and talk and the phone.  JC knew it, too.  But that didn't stop him from calling her every five minutes when she was out running errands.

"Did you get the cufflinks?" was the first thing Caroline heard when she picked up the phone on the first Tuesday in May.  She shifted the phone in between her shoulder and ear as she came up on a right turn. 

"Hello to you, too."

"Hi.  Cufflinks?"

"Yes.  Monogrammed and everything."

"What?  I didn't want them monogrammed."

"I was kidding."  Caroline rolled her eyes even though JC couldn't see her.  "I have them right here."

"Did you mail off that contract?" was JC's next demand.  "That needs to get to New York by Thursday."

"I expedited it," Caroline assured him.  "Now can you please calm down?  I'm five minutes away."

"Actually.  I need you to pick up some milk," JC said.  "Can you stop by that CVS on North Cahuenga?"

Caroline glanced in the rearview mirror.  She'd just passed the CVS.

"I'll get some.  Now stop calling me, I'm going to get a ticket."

"You won't-"  Caroline hung up before JC could finish his sentence, and turned her phone off to avoid any further interruptions to her driving. 

She adjusted her route a little to hit the Ralph's on Hollywood Boulevard, and picked up JC's milk, along with a loaf of bread and a jumbo sized jar of chunky peanut butter.  She knew he'd be spending even more time in the studio later that month, and he tended to neglect his eating habits until he looked emaciated.  At least if he had something edible in the kitchen, maybe he was more likely to actually nourish himself in some way.

JC was on the house phone in the kitchen when Caroline returned.  She could tell from his side of the conversation that he was talking to his mom.

"No, you don't need to come here," he was insisting.  "I'm fine.  Yes, I'm eating.  Caroline's bringing home groceries right now."  He took the Ralph's bags from her and pulled out the loaf of bread.  Caroline watched, eyebrow raised, as he pulled out a slice and began eating it plain.  "Um, yeah...I had some vegetables a couple days ago."

JC motioned at Caroline to supply her with the name of a vegetable.  "Green beans?" she whispered.

"Yeah, green beans.  I had green beans.  Look, I really gotta go, Mom.  Okay.  Love you.  Yeah, I love dad, too.  Bye."

JC set the phone down on the kitchen island, holding out his hand to Caroline.  She set the black velvet box in his palm, waiting for him to pop the lid and examine the white gold cufflinks inside.  She'd literally gone on a wild goose chase for the better part of the afternoon, all because JC had lost his best pair of cufflinks on his most recent trip to Chicago to produce a song with Adam Lambert.

"Acceptable?" she asked, and JC nodded slowly. 

"Yeah, these will work."  JC pulled one out of the box and held it in his palm, as if testing the weight.  "Where'd you get them?"

"Cartier," Caroline lied.  She'd gone to the Zales at the Hollywood and Highland Center and asked for the most expensive looking pair they had.  "Nice, huh?"

"Yeah, actually."  Sufficiently fooled, JC placed the cufflink back in the box and set it aside.  "Oh, Kevin wants you to call him."

The coffee had gone cold at this point, but Caroline poured a cup anyway and heated it in the microwave before heading back into the office.  It was only 3:00, and she was going to need the caffeine to get through the next two hours.

Caroline had just finished her call with Kevin when JC poked his head in. 

"I'm thinking about getting a dog," he announced, and Caroline turned to her computer screen.  JC was having one of those days where no one could keep up with him, let alone her.  "What do you think?"

"I think dogs require a lot of attention that you don't have the patience to give," Caroline replied, pulling up the phone number for the private airline that JC had requested for his upcoming trip to New York for ABDC auditions.  "How about a hamster?  Or better yet, a goldfish?"

JC scowled.  "I'm not five.  And you'll be around to take care of it when I'm gone."

"I'm your assistant, not a dog walker," she reminded.  "And I don't even like dogs."

"I thought you had a dog.  Don't you have a dog?"

"No, we have a cat."

JC wrinkled his nose.  "I don't like cats."

"Well, I do," Caroline said as she flipped through a file folder to find the itinerary for JC's trip.  "And so does Brandon, so it works for us."

"How domestic."  JC leaned against the doorframe, apparently not done bothering her yet.  "How is Brandon these days?"

"He's out of town," Caroline said, distracted as she dialed the phone number for the airline.  "Can you get out of here so I can do some actual work?"

"Out of town for what?" JC prompted, ignoring her request completely. 

"His band has a couple shows in the Bay Area this week.  He'll be up there until Saturday night."  Caroline motioned for JC to shush when the customer service agent picked up on the other end.  She continued confirming JC's flight plans for Thursday, making sure to get the name of the rep she spoke to should any problems arise between now and then. 

By the time she hung up, JC was out of the office, and Caroline was relieved; that was the only good thing about days like this - he got bored easily and tended to only bother her for brief periods of time.

There was just too much to do in preparation for JC's short trip, so Caroline ended up staying late without realizing it.  In fact, she didn't even glance at the time until her empty stomach began to grumble in protest.  It was 5:30, and Caroline rested her head in her hands with a yawn.  She didn't much look forward to returning home to an empty apartment, but at least there was food there.

She'd shut down her computer and picked up her purse when she remembered that she'd never turned her cell phone back on.

Six missed calls popped up right away, two from an unlisted number, one from her dad, and three from her brother Cameron.  Caroline's heart dropped into her stomach.  Her brothers hardly ever called her, and never three times in a row.  This was inarguably an emergency. 

Still sitting at her desk, she called Cameron back.  He answered on the second ring.

"What the hell, Care?  We've been trying to get a hold of you all afternoon," was his only greeting.  "I called your apartment, too.  Where are you?"

"I'm at work.  I turned my cell off earlier and forgot to turn it back on," she explained, staring down at her trembling fingers as she spread her palm out on the desktop.  "What's wrong, Cam?"

Cameron sighed heavily on the other end, and Caroline could easily picture him squeezing his eyes shut and pinching the bridge of his nose.  "It's Mom.  She had a heart attack."

This was the very last thing Caroline could have ever expected to hear.  "She had a what?"

"A heart attack.  I know.  We were all...pretty shocked," Cameron admitted.

Caroline stared at the wall across from her desk, unseeing.  Her mother was quite possibly the healthiest person she knew, or had ever known.  At 55, she ate nothing but raw fruits, vegetables, and grains.  She alternated tai chi and yoga, six days a week.  She meditated four hours a day and had never touched any kind of medication, drugs, or alcohol.  If anything, Caroline was convinced that her mother had the potential to outlive even her own children.

"Is she..." Caroline swallowed hard against the unexpected lump in her throat.  "I mean, is she...okay?"

"She's...hanging on," Cameron replied.  "They had to do an emergency operation to put a stent in, and she just got out of that a little while ago.  She's still unconscious, and they're not letting me in to see her yet.  No one's told me much of anything besides the fact that she's alive."

Caroline nodded slowly.  "What hospital?"

"St. Johns in Santa Monica."

"Is Dad there?"

"Not yet.  I've been keeping him updated by phone.  Seth stopped by earlier, but he had to go to court until around seven tonight."

"Okay.  I'll be there as soon as I can," Caroline assured him.  "I'm sorry you couldn't get a hold of me earlier."

"It's okay, Care," Cameron replied.  "Hey, I'll see you soon, alright?  Drive safe."

Caroline hung up the phone and set it down on her desk carefully.  She knew that she should be hurrying out to her car, but a certain numbness had settled over her, gluing her to her seat.  She hadn't started crying yet, but her eyes burned with a strange dryness that made it difficult to blink.

She was still sitting, staring blankly, when JC appeared in the doorway.

"You're still here?  Hey, when you talked to Kevin earlier, did he say anything about..."  JC trailed off when he fully took in Caroline's expression.  "What's wrong?"

Caroline shook her head slowly and tried to speak, but nothing came out. 

"Caroline," JC prompted, stepping further into the room and tossing the notebook he held down onto the desk.  "You're freaking me out.  What happened?"

"It's...it's my mom," Caroline managed to say.  "She, um...she's in the hospital."

"What?"  JC braced his hands on her desk and leaned down to her level so that she would look him in the eyes.  "Is she okay?"

"She had a heart attack," Caroline said, the words sounding foreign to her ears.  "I've gotta go.  My brother's waiting for me."

She managed to stand up and pick up her purse, testing her own steadiness carefully before moving towards the door.  JC followed closely behind her.

"Which hospital?  I'll drive you."

"No, that's not necessary," Caroline insisted.  "I can drive."

"Caroline."  JC caught her elbow just outside the office and turned her to face him.  "You're as white as a sheet.  You look like you're about to pass out any second.  You're not okay to drive."

"I'll call a cab, then," she said, waving him away.  "You don't need to drive all the way down to Santa Monica for me."

"Hey."  JC snapped his fingers in front of her face as she attempted to move away, causing her to freeze.  "You're not getting a cab, I'm driving you.  Okay?  Come on."

JC got Caroline settled into his Jeep, even leaning across the console to buckle the seatbelt for her when she failed to do it herself.  She stared straight ahead on the entire drive to the hospital, still not sure what to think or how to react.  She'd been caught so incredibly off guard by the incident that her brain was having a hard time catching up with her heart.

Cameron was in the waiting room when they arrived.  If growing up with two older brothers had done anything to Caroline, it had definitely toughened her up.  They'd pulled her hair, sat on her, locked her out of the house, even tried to bury her in the backyard once, but Caroline wouldn't have traded either of them for the world.  Cameron was the eldest of the three siblings, and he'd matured from a bossy, obnoxious kid into a confident, levelheaded man.  He was the advice giver, the practical decision maker, and the sight of him calmed Caroline considerably.

He pulled her into a tight hug, kissing the top of her head.  "You okay?" he asked, and she nodded against his shoulder.

"Are you?"

"I'm good."  Cameron pulled back and smiled at her, squeezing her shoulders before his gaze shifted over her head.  Caroline glanced back to see JC standing awkwardly in the waiting room doorway.

"Cameron, this is JC, my boss.  JC, this is my brother, Cameron."

JC and Cameron shook hands.  "Nice to meet you," JC said politely, and Cameron nodded.

"You too."  Cameron glanced over his shoulder towards the nurse's station with a sigh.  "Well, she's still out, but they said that they can start letting visitors in within the hour."

Caroline let out a breath.  "Good.  That's good."

"Yeah.  But, I need to take off," Cameron started, and Caroline clutched at his arm. 

"What?  Cameron, you can't, you have to stay," she pleaded.  Cameron furrowed his eyebrows.

"Care, I've been here all day.  I've gotta get home to Megan and the kids," he pointed out, speaking of his wife of five years and Caroline's two nephews.  "Seth will be here as soon as he gets out of court.  Dad's showing a house in Malibu all day, but he promised to stop by as soon as he can."

The last thing Caroline wanted was to be alone at the hospital, but she spotted JC out of the corner of her eye, taking a seat on one of the plastic padded chairs.  She couldn't ask Cameron to stay when he had his own family to get home to.

"Alright.  Will you be back tomorrow?"

"Yeah."  Cameron squeezed her hand.  "Don't stay all night, okay?  Go home and get some rest when you can."  He glanced at JC again, whose attention was focused on a baseball game playing on the mounted television in the corner.  "Where's Brandon?"

Brandon.  Caroline made a mental note to call his hotel in San Francisco later.  "He's up north for a few days, playing a couple shows."

Cameron nodded and glanced at his watch.  "I gotta go.  You're okay?"

Caroline wasn't sure yet, but she nodded anyway.  "Give my love to Meg and the boys."

"I will."  He pulled her into another strong hug before heading for the exit.  "Good meeting you," he called to JC, who nodded.

Caroline stopped by the nurse's station to announce herself, but was told that she would have to wait a bit longer before getting to see her mother.  She spent the majority of her time either sitting, standing, or pacing slowly around the waiting room.  JC alternated between the baseball game and an old copy of Woman's Day that seemed to be the only magazine in the room.  They didn't speak.

Finally, a nurse in dark green scrubs appeared.  "Ms. Reed?"

"Yes."  Caroline crossed the room towards him, her hands clasped together. 

"Janice Sawyer is your mother?" the nurse confirmed, and she nodded.  "Well, she's recovering from an emergency coronary stent operation in order to clear a fairly severe blockage in her left circumflex artery.  She hasn't quite come around yet, but I'll let you in to see her in just a moment."  He glanced over Caroline's shoulder towards JC.  "If your husband doesn't mind waiting out here, I'd rather regulate the visitors to one at a time."

"He's not..." Caroline shrugged it off.  "That's fine."

The nurse led her to the correct room, and left her at the door to continue inside in privacy.  Caroline held onto the doorknob for a few seconds before pulling it open slowly. 

Seeing her mother lying in a hospital bed, her skin a pale white to match the starched sheets beneath her, was more than startling for Caroline.  She closed the door carefully and crossed the room in a tiptoe to stand next to the bed.  An IV and a heart monitor both were hooked up, and the rhythmic beeping of the machines somehow calmed Caroline as she looked down on her mother.

Janice's hair laid limp and loose against the pillow, the dark length interspersed with gray.  Caroline reached out to touch it carefully, smoothing it over her mother's shoulders.  She most always wore it pulled back in a braid, Caroline couldn't even remember the last time she'd seen it down.  The woman lying unconscious on the bed looked weak and frail, the delicate framework of her veins showing easily through translucent skin.  Caroline held onto the side of the bed for support, overwhelmed with emotion.  This was not the way she wanted to see her mother, ever, let alone for the first time in months.

There was a lone chair in the corner of the room, and Caroline took a seat, if nothing else just so she wouldn't fall over.  She tried to remember the last time she'd seen Janice, the last time she'd made an effort to connect with her mom.  It had been months ago, before she'd even gotten her new job.  Had she even called her mom to tell her when she'd been hired?  Caroline couldn't remember, and shame welled up from within her.

She watched the form of her sleeping mother for a while longer, guilt and fear turning over in her stomach until she felt sick.  Finally, she stood, pausing next to the bed for just a moment.

"I'm sorry, Mom," Caroline murmured, stroking the back of Janice's hand carefully, afraid that she might break should her touch linger too long.  But her mom didn't even stir, and Caroline moved towards the door.

Tears started to spill down her cheeks on her way back down the hallway, and by the time she reached the waiting room, she was on the verge of a breakdown.  JC looked up at her when she entered, and stood from his chair. 

Not completely sure of what she was doing, but knowing that it was the only option, Caroline stepped into JC's embrace as her sobs spilled forth.  He held her close, his hand rubbing slow patterns in her back as she buried her face in his sweater and cried.

She didn't know how long they stood there like that, but afterwards, Caroline was drained.  She let JC lead her to a nearby chair and glanced at him through swollen eyes as he sat next to her.  He held her hand in his own and rubbed his thumb over the back of it gently. 

"Was she awake?" he asked, and Caroline shook her head, using her free hand to wipe her eyes. 

"No, not yet." She spied the wet spot she'd left on his undoubtedly cashmere sweater and sighed.  "Sorry."

JC ignored her apology and somehow materialized a small package of travel tissues.  Caroline raised her eyebrow at him as she took it. 

"I bought them from the vending machine," he admitted.  "I thought I'd try to be prepared."

"You can't even get free tissues in a hospital anymore?"  Caroline pulled one out and dabbed at her eyes with it.  "What is this world coming to?"

"Your tax dollars at work," JC replied softly, and Caroline managed a half-smile.  "I know this is a dumb question, but are you okay?"

"I don't know," Caroline admitted.  "It's just...hard to see her like that.  I never thought...I mean, she's always been so healthy."

JC didn't say anything, just kept rubbing the back of her hand.  Oddly enough, the motion comforted Caroline, and she realized that she was thankful JC was there.  If nothing else, so that she wasn't alone.

"One time, when I was eight," he began suddenly, and Caroline glanced up at him, "my dad took me to the Museum of Industry, in Baltimore.  It was pretty cool, there were lots of planes and stuff you could climb around in.  I hit my head pretty good on the door of a helicopter, and I wouldn't stop crying, so my dad took me home.  I guess I fell asleep in the car, and my mom freaked out when my dad got me home, so they took me to the ER to make sure everything was okay.  I woke up in a hospital bed, all alone.  It was terrifying."  He sighed.  "I've hated hospitals ever since."

Caroline nodded; she wasn't the biggest fan, either.

"Anyway, I woke up screaming for my mom, and she came in and held my hand and she didn't ever leave me," JC said.  "She was by my side until they released me, and she held me in the car, and carried me up to bed at home.  She knew I was scared, and she stayed with me for as long as it took."  JC paused to shrug.  "She's always been there for me, she still is."

A moment of silence passed and he nudged Caroline's shoulder with his own.  "Come on.  You must have a good story about your mom."

Caroline thought it over, chewing on her bottom lip.  She had plenty of fond memories of growing up with her brothers, her dad...but most of what she recalled about her mother was shrouded with frustration and disappointment.  Because JC was watching her expectantly, she forced herself to dig deep.

"I guess...there was the time she took me to the beach for the first time," Caroline said finally.  "The first time I remember, anyway.  My mom's big into nature, and she loves the ocean.  She studied marine biology in college, actually, but she never got her degree.  Said the ‘industrial empire' was too cutthroat for someone like her.  Anyway, I was young...probably five or six.  And it was just me and her, my brothers were at school.  She took me early in the morning and we stayed there almost all day, walking around on the beach and picking up shells and just staring out at the waves." 

The memory had been buried so deep that Caroline was surprised by the vividness of it; she could still feel the sun on her skin and smell the salt in the air.  She could see the bright colors of her mom's flowing skirt, hear her voice as she sang.

"It was perfect," Caroline admitted.  "It was my favorite day."

JC squeezed her hand.  "That sounds nice."

Caroline looked at him, realizing that she'd never even told Brandon that story.  Brandon knew that she didn't get along with her mom, and they'd only ever met in person two or three times.  He didn't pry, he didn't ask about her more than was necessary.  Until this moment, Caroline had been thankful for that fact.

JC told a couple more stories about his childhood, including a humorous tale about his brother Tyler getting his belt loop stuck on a swing chain in their backyard.  "I let him hang there until my dad got home," JC admitted.  He even managed to get Caroline laughing.

"Are you hungry?" JC asked suddenly, glancing at his watch.  "It's 7:45."

Caroline shook her head, but knew she needed to eat something.  "Well.  Maybe just coffee, and some fruit if they have any."

She hadn't realized they'd been holding hands the entire time they'd been sitting there talking, and when JC stood up, her own hand felt cold resting against her knee.  "Okay.  You want to wait here?"

Caroline nodded, and watched JC leave the room.  She leaned back in the chair with a sigh, staring blankly up at the TV on the wall.  The game was over and the local news was on.

She'd only been alone for a minute when Seth appeared in the waiting room door, still wearing a suit and looking harried.

"Hey, finally."  She crossed the room towards him and Seth hugged her, kissing the top of her head much the same way Cameron had.  "Where've you been?  Cam said you would be here by seven."

"My case got called last," Seth replied, setting his briefcase down on a nearby chair.  "Any news?"

Caroline caught him up on their mother's condition, and Seth listened, his eyes darting around the room as she spoke.  She didn't take it personally, that was just the way Seth was.  He was always going, going, going, and he'd always been that way.  He had the same energy level at age 28 that he'd had when he was a hyper little kid.  In many ways, he was the opposite of calm, collected Cameron.

"So she's not even awake yet?" he asked, and Caroline shook her head. 

"Well, she wasn't when I went in there an hour ago."

"How did she look?"

Caroline felt her eyes cloud over again, out of nowhere.  "She, um...she didn't look good."

Seth sighed, resting his hand on his sister's shoulder.  "Shit.  Have you heard from Dad?"

"No, but Cameron said he would get over here as soon as he could."

JC returned then, juggling two cups of coffee and a few other things.  Caroline crossed the room to help him. 

"This is my brother Seth.  Seth, this is JC, my boss."

They shook hands and JC handed Caroline a shiny red apple.  "This was all they had for fruit.  It's kind of slim pickings down there.  I got you some crackers, too...I was trying to play it safe."

"Thank you," Caroline said, well aware of the way Seth watched them closely. 

"Sorry, I didn't know you would be here, or..." JC started, but Seth waved him off.

"Naw, I'm good.  I'm gonna see if I can find someone."  Seth headed for the nurse's station, and Caroline sat back down to drink her coffee.  It tasted relatively foul compared to the expensive brands she'd grown used to at JC's (she'd even started buying the same pricey roast to have at her own apartment, much to Brandon's disdain), but she choked it down anyway.  She took a bite of the apple, but it was mealy. 

JC sat down next to her.  "This brother looks more like you than the other one did."

"Cameron takes after my dad," Caroline replied.  "He's broad and wide.  My mom is tall and lanky, that's where Seth got it.  I'm kind of...in-between."

JC raised his eyebrows.  "You're not gonna go off on how fat you think you are, are you?  I thought you were better than that, Caroline."

"I don't think I'm fat," she said.  "Why, should I?"

"Definitely not," JC replied, glancing over at her indiscreetly.  Caroline shook her head. 

"Are you seriously hitting on me in the hospital waiting room?"

"Maybe," JC replied innocently, and Caroline knew she should be offended, but all she could manage was a quick eye roll before she had to turn her face away to hide her blush. 

Seth made his way back over to them.  "They said she's awake now, if we want to go in."

Caroline stood.  "Both of us?"

"Yeah."  Seth glanced at JC.  "Well, relatives only."

JC held up his hands.  "That's cool.  I'll wait here."

Seth nodded and headed for the hallway, but Caroline hung back.  "JC, if you want to take off, that's totally fine.  I'll just get a ride home from Seth."

"Your car's at my house," JC pointed out, crossing his ankles as he leaned back in the chair.  "I'm fine waiting."

"It could be awhile," Caroline pointed out.  "I really appreciate you driving me and...being here, but...it's really not necessary for you to stay any longer."

"I know," JC said simply.  "Go see your mom, okay?"

Caroline gave up and followed Seth down the hall.  If JC wanted to stay, she couldn't make him leave.  The real question in her mind was whether or not she wanted him to go at all.

A nurse was in the room with Janice when Seth and Caroline walked in.  She looked relatively better than before, probably because she was awake, but still tired and pale.  The nurse finished propping Janice up with some extra pillows before checking the various monitors and leaving the room.

Janice smiled at her children weakly.  "Hi, kids."

"Hey, Mom."  Seth bent down to kiss her cheek, and moved aside for Caroline.  Janice reached out towards her daughter, and Caroline returned her embrace obligingly, trying to remember the last time she'd hugged her mother.

"My darlings," she murmured, tucking Caroline's hair behind her ear.  She sounded as weak as she looked.  Seth sat down on the chair near the bed and Caroline stayed standing, crossing her arms over her waist.

"How are you feeling?" Seth asked, and Janice's eyelashes fluttered as she shrugged one bony shoulder.

"Oh, I've had better days."  She smiled up at them.  "I'm so glad you're both here."

"Cameron was here earlier," Caroline said.  "He had to leave, but he said he'd be by tomorrow."

Janice's smile faltered.  "Won't I be going home soon?"

Seth and Caroline exchanged a glance.  "You just had a heart attack, and a major surgery," Seth said slowly.  "I'm thinking they'll want to keep you for at least another 24 hours."

Janice closed her eyes with a sigh, and Caroline sat on the edge of the bed gingerly. 

"Mom, is there anything we can get you from home to make you more comfortable?" she asked.  Janice shook her head, her eyes still closed, and Caroline pressed her lips together, mentally praying for strength.

"I just can't bear to stay here," Janice lamented, reaching out for Seth's hand.  "Please, Seth.  Can you get me out of here?"

Seth sighed and Caroline pinched the bridge of her nose.  Here it went.

"Mom, I don't really have any control over that."

"Can't you go find a doctor?  Tell them I'm fine," Janice suggested, squeezing Seth's hand imploringly.

"It's better for you to stay here, Mom," Caroline said carefully.  "They need to observe you for a little while, make sure your heart is working correctly again."

"It's working fine," Janice insisted.  "I'm alive, aren't I?"

She threw her hands up and let them fall to her sides in abandon.  "All these machines, all this beeping.  And what is this they're pumping into me?"  Janice picked at the IV drip with disgust, and Caroline grabbed her hand.

"Mom, please.  We just want you to get better, okay?  So you can go home."

"Well, I'm not going to get ‘better' here," Janice shot back, "in this hellhole of chemicals and machinery."

"Why don't you make a list for Caroline?" Seth suggested.  "She can go pick up some stuff for you from home.  That will make you feel more comfortable."

Janice bemoaned her situation a bit longer, practically throwing a fit when the nurse came back in and asked if she'd like anything to eat or drink.  Caroline explained to the nurse that her mother was on a very careful diet, but the damage had been done.  The drama was out full force, and Caroline felt her head begin to ache.

Finally, a little before 9, Janice's doctor came in and asked Caroline and Seth to leave, as visiting hours were over.

"We'll be back tomorrow, Mom," Seth assured a sorrowful Janice as they left.  "With Cameron, too."

Caroline leaned against the wall once they were out in the hallway.  "I guess she's feeling better after all."

"Same old Mom, just a little more tired than usual."  Seth slung his arm around Caroline's shoulders as they started back towards the waiting room.  "At least we get to leave.  Poor hospital staff."

"Speaking of leaving, can I crash with you tonight?" Caroline asked.  "I left my car at JC's, and I don't want to have to go all the way back home and then drive out here tomorrow."

"Yeah, that's fine," Seth said.  "I have an early meeting with a bail bondsman tomorrow, but you can get a cab here and I'll meet you later."

They neared the waiting room and spotted JC inside, picking at a vending machine sandwich and back to flipping through the Woman's Day.  Seth caught Caroline's arm before she walked in.

"What's the story here?" he asked softly.  "Your boss takes you to the hospital and then waits around for three hours?"

Caroline shrugged.  "I was working when Cameron called, and JC didn't want me to drive.  He was just trying to be nice."

Seth's eyebrow quirked.  "Guess I've never had a boss that nice."

"It's not like that, Seth," Caroline insisted, keeping a close watch on JC, lest he look up and see them whispering outside the room.  "Don't make assumptions."

"Where's Brandon, anyway?" Seth asked.  "Shouldn't he be here with you?"

Caroline sighed, reaching up to rub her forehead.  Again, she'd forgotten to call Brandon.

"He's up north for a few days.  I need to call him."

Seth's eyes widened.  "He doesn't know yet?"

"Well, I've been kind of busy here," Caroline snapped, her voice carrying into the waiting room.  JC looked up, and Caroline shot her brother a quick dirty look before walking inside.

"Everything okay?" JC asked, setting his sandwich down and standing up.

"Yeah.  She's awake and...mostly back to normal."  Caroline paused to stifle a yawn.  "Look, I'm gonna go back to Seth's place in Culver City so I don't have to come all the way out here again tomorrow.  But I really do appreciate the ride, and you being here."

"Yeah, no problem."  JC picked up his jacket.  "Don't worry about coming in tomorrow, obviously."

Caroline had almost completely forgotten about work, and she cringed as she thought about how much more needed to be done before he left on Thursday.  "I'll see what I can get done from here, I'm sure I can find a business center somewhere in this place."

"Don't worry about it," JC repeated, holding up his hand.  "I'll make it work.  I did, at one point, exist without an assistant."

Caroline couldn't help but smirk.  "What a disaster that must have been."

JC clutched his heart.  "Ouch."

Mindful that Seth was probably watching their exchange, Caroline took a half-step  back.  "Thanks again, JC.  For everything."

"Yep."  JC paused, and a slight awkward moment passed where he possibly might have hugged her, but both of them were aware of Seth's presence in the room.  "I'll, uh...see you soon.  Have a nice night."

With that, JC waved politely at Seth and made his way out of the room.  Caroline watched him go, feeling inexplicably alone once he was gone.

"Ready to go?" Seth asked, and Caroline picked up her purse.  "It's a good thing I never got rid of that old futon.  You'll sleep like a baby tonight."

Seth's sarcasm wasn't lost on Caroline, and she sighed softly.  "Great."

chapter 13 by rebeccan

As it turned out, the hospital wanted to keep Janice for three more days, total, with a planned release on Saturday morning.  This did not go over well in any way, and Caroline spent the majority of her Wednesday at the hospital in a constant state of headache.  Thankfully, she didn't have to go it alone, as Cameron had taken the day off of work to stick around the hospital.  Her dad stopped in as well, though his presence didn't really help matters much.

Mark Reed was a practical, simple man, and Caroline had a hard time imagining that her parents had ever been married to each other.  She had memories from before the divorce, of course, but none of those consisted of her parents actually getting along.  She'd been nearly ten years old before realizing that not everyone's parents fought 24/7, and that her home life wasn't exactly the picture of normal.

Whereas Janice was opinionated and calculating, Mark was a pushover and a hothead.  They were opposites in almost every way.  Mark rarely opened up discussion about the topic, but Cameron claimed that Mom and Dad's relationship had gone steadily downhill over the years.  Perhaps one day, they had actually gotten along well, but now, every time they crossed paths was a battle royale.

"Just take the damn medicine, Janice," Mark ordered gruffly when Janice refused the pain medication the nurse offered her for the umpteenth time.  "Maybe it will calm you down."

"I don't want it," Janice insisted, glaring daggers at her ex-husband.  Caroline sat in the corner, rubbing her temples and weighing the option of taking the pain meds herself.  Janice had bitched and moaned until the hospital agreed to remove the fentanyl drip they'd had her on, but her pain had intensified enough after that to make her even more impossible to deal with.  She declined to take any medication that wasn't "completely naturally derived", of course.  Caroline had even made a trip to the holistic medical supply store that her mother frequented and bought up every pain remedy available.  Apparently, none of them were working, no matter how much Janice tried to convince everyone otherwise.

"Caroline, will you light my candles, please?" Janice asked, and Mark crossed his arms over his chest. 

"How many times do we have to tell you, you can't light candles in a goddamn hospital!"

Janice shot something back, her voice raising to a high trill, and Caroline stood up.

"Dad, why don't we go get something to eat?  Cameron's on his way back in with Megan," she assured Janice before she could start whining about being left all alone.  "We don't want to crowd the room too much."

Thankfully, Cameron and Megan appeared a moment later, and Caroline ushered her dad out into the hallway.

"Jesus God," Mark sighed, bringing a hand up to pinch the bridge of his nose, and Caroline knew both she and Cameron had picked up that habit from him.  "The woman is incorrigible!"

"It's a high-stress situation," Caroline reminded, patting her dad's shoulder as they walked towards the cafeteria.  "She'll calm down a bit once her pain goes away some."

"If she would just take the freaking medicine, it would go away right now!" Mark pointed out, then waved his hand.  "I know, I know.  I'm preaching to the choir."

He wrapped his arm around Caroline to pull her close as they walked.  "What about you?  You'll at least take an Advil when you get a headache, right?"

Caroline smiled wearily.  "I take Excedrin.  It's stronger."

Mark chuckled.  "That's the spirit."

After a quick scan of the meager food offerings, Caroline ended up with much the same meal she'd had the night before, a cup of coffee and an orange (she avoided the mealy apples this time around).  Her dad, on the other hand, piled his plate high with a large roast beef sandwich.

"I've got to say I don't miss those days," he admitted, nodding towards Caroline's choice of dinner with a frown.  "I mean, I respect your choices and all, don't get me wrong.  But there's something demoralizing about having to sneak out of your own house for twelve years, just to get a damn cheeseburger."

Caroline smiled as she peeled her orange.  "I understand."

"Well, how's my girl doing?"  Mark reached across the table to pat her hand.  "I've hardly gotten to talk with you at all today."

Caroline finished chewing on her orange slice before she replied.  "I've been fine.  Working a lot."

"That's right, how's the new job going?" Mark asked between bites his of his sandwich.  "Cameron told me your boss drove you here yesterday?"

Of course Cam spilled the beans on her, Caroline thought with a mental eye-roll.  "Yeah.  He has a home office, so I work there, primarily.  I was in the office when Cameron got a hold of me, so JC offered to drive me here."

Mark nodded slowly, wiping his face with a napkin.  "Nice guy?"

"Yeah, he's an okay guy."  Caroline took a sip of her coffee; it tasted just as bad as it had the night before.  "A little...unique, but he is a celebrity, I guess."

"What is he, a pop singer?" Mark asked, and Caroline nodded.  "Eh.  What's Brandon think of that?"

"He thinks its humorous, but he also knows there's nothing funny about the size of my paycheck."

Mark laughed out loud.  "Pretty easy work?"

"Yeah, but I stay busy," Caroline said.  "It's not the job I'd imagined I'd be getting right after college, but...it's better than nothing."

"Slim pickings out there," Mark admitted.  "And you know what I always told you."

"Do well at whatever you do," Caroline repeated diligently.  "I know, Dad."

"I'm proud of you, Caroline," Mark said, pointing his fork across the table at her.  "No matter what."

Caroline picked up another piece of orange.  "Thanks."

"Speaking of Brandon, how's he doing?  I hear he's out of town for a few days."

"He's in San Francisco for a gig," Caroline replied.  She rearranged the pieces of orange peel on her plate, trying to fit them together like a puzzle piece.  "He'll be back this weekend."

"And how are you two doing?" Mark asked.  Caroline didn't look up from her orange peels.  She knew that her dad liked Brandon, or at least tolerated him, but she also knew that he wasn't a big fan of his career choices, or lack thereof.  Mark hadn't been happy when his daughter had moved in with a failed lawyer-slash-mechanic two years ago, but he was too passive-aggressive to outwardly say so.

"Um.  We're fine," Caroline said slowly.  Mark waited, his eyebrows raised.  "I don't know.  Things have been a little rough lately."

"How so?"

Caroline sighed.  "I work a lot, and I have to travel sometimes.  It's been hard on him, I think."

That was an understatement.  When Caroline had gotten back from Vegas the previous month, she and Brandon had gone almost two full days without speaking.  He'd even spent the night on the couch before Caroline had forced him to talk it out with her.  Even after they'd made up, things were still a little shaky.  Brandon didn't want to come out and admit that he was jealous of JC, but that much was obvious.  The worst part was that Caroline didn't know if she could blame him anymore, but she tried to push that thought out of her mind as much as she could.

Brandon had at least been comforting when she'd called him late the night before.  He'd even offered to drive home and skip their second show, but Caroline told him no.  She knew the band couldn't go on without him, and she didn't want to inconvenience everybody else.  Maybe when he did get home he'd take it a little easier on her...but not if he found out that JC had been the one to drive her to the hospital and hold her hand in the waiting room.

"Well, you're at a tough age," Mark pointed out.  "Your mother and I got married when she was 22 and I was 25, and it wasn't easy."

Caroline cocked her head.  "No offense, Dad, but I don't know if you're the best person to take relationship advice from.  You and Mom did get divorced, after all."

"Yes," Mark allowed.  "But not until we tried to make it work for twenty years."

Caroline didn't count the last ten, as they'd barely been on speaking terms with each other, but she didn't say so.

"It's true, some things just aren't meant to be," Mark said.  "But if it weren't for marrying your mother, I wouldn't have you three.  And trust me, I wouldn't have wanted to be married to Cathy in her twenties. She's calmed down a lot in middle-age."

Caroline laughed.  "So what are you saying?  I should stick it out with Brandon until we just can't stand each other anymore?"

Mark narrowed his eyes at her.  "No, smart ass.  I'm saying that you do what you can to make it work, but if it's not there...it's not there."

The statement made Caroline feel sick to her stomach.  She'd been with Brandon for four years - she'd never before questioned whether or not anything was "there".  It been easy to feel that it was there, whatever "it" was.  Now, things were so much more confusing, more difficult than before.  But that didn't mean she would give up.

"The real question is," Mark continued, "are you happy?  You, I mean, nobody else.  Are you happy?"

Caroline stared at him, not entirely sure how to answer.  She couldn't remember the last time she'd equated the word "happy" with her life; these days, it was more like "keeping busy" or "getting by". 

"Yeah, Dad," she said, standing to refill her empty coffee cup.  "Don't worry about me."

Her dad thankfully changed the subject when she returned to the table, but they didn't stay in the cafeteria much longer.  Caroline felt bad leaving Cameron and Megan on their own with Mom, so she refilled her coffee once more, to go this time.

Once back out in the hallway, Caroline could hear her mother's voice from inside the room.  From the tone of it, she still wasn't happy with something.  Caroline hesitated outside the door, not quite ready to return, and Mark glanced back at her. 

"You okay?"

Caroline nodded.  "I just...have to go make a phone call.  I'll be right back."

She made her way down the hallway to the familiar waiting room, which was a little more crowded than it had been the night before.  She didn't really have anyone to call, so she sat in a chair in the corner and pulled out her Blackberry to see if there were any new emails to return.  There was only one, a short note from Kevin expressing condolences about her mom.  She did, however, have a text message, sent earlier in the day.

Are you hanging in there?  It was from JC.  Caroline tapped in a reply.

Barely.  They're not releasing my mom until Saturday, so things have been a little crazy.

She'd barely set her phone down for more a minute when it buzzed with a reply.

Why so long?  She's not happy about it?

Caroline snorted.  That was an understatement.  She replied to his message, and pretty soon, they were texting back and forth like a couple of teenagers.  Caroline knew she should put the phone away and head back to her mom's room, but the conversation with JC was much more enticing. 

She'd been sitting in the waiting room for a good twenty minutes when a female nurse approached her.  "You're Caroline, right?  Janice is your mom?"

Caroline slipped her phone in her pocket in a hurry, as if she'd been caught doing something bad.  "Yeah, I'm Caroline.  Is something wrong?"

"Oh, no."  The nurse shook her head.  "We just got some flowers delivered for your mother.  Would you like to take them back to her room?"

"Oh."  Caroline stood up, surprised.  Who would send her mom flowers?  "Sure, I can take them."

"Great.  They're at the nurse's station."

Caroline followed the nurse over to the desk, her eyes widening at the large bouquet of bright orange calla lilies and pink roses.  It looked expensive, and there was only one person it could be from.  She checked the small card with a soft sigh.

Wishing you well.  JC Chasez (Caroline's boss)

Great.  This was going to go over real well with her brothers.

"It's nice," the nurse said.  "That's some boss you have!"

Caroline forced a tight smile and pulled out her phone. 

You sent flowers? 

JC's response came a few seconds later.  Yeah.  Why, is that bad?

Caroline was about to reply when someone called her name from down the hall.  It was Seth, half-jogging towards her.

"What's up?" he asked.  "Whose flowers?"

"Mom's."  Caroline picked up the vase before Seth could examine them further.  "I was just taking them down there."

"Did you get these?" Seth asked, falling into step with her down the hallway.  "They look expensive."

A split second passed where Caroline wondered if she could pick off the tag and pretend they were from her after all.  But didn't that insinuate that she had something to hide?  She and JC were just friends...less than friends, he was her employer.  So what if her brothers teased her, they had no idea what they were talking about.

"No, they're from JC.  My boss," she clarified, even though Seth's eyebrows had already gone up.

"Seriously?"  Thankfully, they had reached the right room, and Caroline pushed the door open before Seth could continue.

"Wow," Cameron noted as she walked in with the bouquet.  "Suck up much?"

Caroline sent a cold gaze in his direction as she set the vase down on her mother's bedside table.  "They're not from me, douchebag."

For the first time all day, Janice actually looked pleased.  "Oh, my!  Who are they from, Caroline?  They're just lovely!  How nice to have a touch of spring in this depressing little cubicle."

"Actually, they're from my boss."  Caroline plucked the card off and handed it to her mother.  "He, uh, drove me here last night, and I guess he wanted to send his respects."

She didn't turn around to observe her brothers' stares that she already felt burning into her back. 

"My goodness."  Janice read the card and pressed her hands to her chest, still in awe of the flowers.  "How kind of him.  Please, call and thank him for me, Caroline."

"Or maybe he'll stop by again," Seth interjected, and Cameron snickered.  "Isn't your car still at his house, Care?"

She sighed.  "Okay, assholes, get it all out of your system right now."

"I think it's sweet," Megan said, stepping up next to Caroline to smell the flowers.  "I wish my boss was that nice."

"If your boss was as nice as Caroline's, I'd be beating his face in right about now," Cameron said. 

Megan just rolled her eyes, and Caroline was thankful she was there.  She'd grown up being the odd girl out of the bunch, but having a cool sister-in-law evened out the game a little bit.  Megan was just a few years older, and she had no problem standing up to her husband for Caroline when push came to shove.

"Speaking of my car, I need a ride home tonight," Caroline announced, sitting down in one of the free chairs.  The nurses had brought in some extra seating for them, even though, technically, five people was way too many to have in the room at once.  "I need a shower."

"Don't you mean back to JC's house?" Seth asked. 

"I'll get a cab there tomorrow," Caroline replied with a scowl. 

"We'll give you a ride, Care," Megan said, patting her back.  Janice frowned.

"Who will be here with me tomorrow?" she asked loudly.  Mark, sitting in the corner of the room, sighed heavily, and Caroline patted her mother's hand before he could say anything.

"We'll work it out, Mom."

Between the five of them, they managed to somehow work out a schedule for the next couple of days so that Janice would always have someone available to her in the hospital before she was released on Saturday.  Caroline managed to beg off until Friday morning, which would free her up to get some work done at JC's the following day.  Since he would already have left on his trip, she would have plenty of time to make up for the day she'd missed.

Cameron and Megan drove Caroline back to her apartment a little later, and thankfully, Megan managed to carry the conversation so that Cameron couldn't give Caroline much of a hard time about JC.  When she made it upstairs, Moo was scratching restlessly at the door, probably starving.  Caroline took the time to feed her, as well as supplement her own meager dinner. 

By the time she'd showered and changed into pajamas, it was only 8:30, but she was more than ready for bed.  Not ashamed, Caroline climbed beneath the covers with a large yawn.  Seth hadn't been kidding about the futon - she'd only managed to sleep about three full hours the previous night, tossing and turning on the lumpy mattress.  If anything, it had given her a stronger appreciation for her own bed, with its soft, worn sheets and mass of pillows.  She took a moment to relax and decompress in the quiet.

Caroline had almost fallen asleep when she remembered to plug in her phone and set her alarm for the next day.  She connected the charger on her Blackberry, and as the screen flashed on, saw the last message JC had sent her.  Chewing on her bottom lip, Caroline threw caution to the wind.

Hey, my mom loved the flowers.  That was really sweet of you, if not a little exorbitant.  Thanks.

JC didn't reply for a few minutes, and Caroline thought that maybe he'd gone to bed early, too. 

She had set her phone down and rolled over in bed, when the vibration against the nightstand startled her.  She picked up the phone and read JC's reply:  Glad she liked them.  Are you still at the hospital?

Caroline typed out the response, No, my brother drove me home.  I'm in bed.

She cursed herself after hitting "send".  JC did not need to know anything about her bed or whether or not she was in it.

His reply didn't disappoint.  Kinky.  What are you wearing?

Caroline laughed out loud in the silence of her room.  None of your business.

And once again, she found herself texting back and forth with JC, holding her phone under the covers like she was a little kid trying to stay up past bedtime.  The real guilt didn't set in until she rolled over and looked at Brandon's empty side of the bed.  His nightstand held a notebook and a framed picture of the two of them at one of the band's shows last year.  Caroline's stomach clenched.  The phone buzzed as JC's last text came in, but Caroline forced herself to ignore it.  She put the phone down, made sure her alarm was set, and pulled the covers over her head.

It took Caroline longer than normal to fall asleep that night, and when she did, it was a restless one. 

 

 

chapter 14 by rebeccan

The next day, after paying way too much to get a cab to JC's place, Caroline arrived to find her car exactly where she'd left it, and the garage door open.  It wasn't too weird; maybe the lawn guys were there.  All of JC's cars were inside, but that wasn't strange, either, because she'd made arrangements for the car service to pick him up that morning herself. 

She let herself inside and paused in the kitchen to put on coffee before heading to the office.  The message light on her phone was flashing, so she pulled out her notepad and jumped right back into work.  A couple hours passed without incident, and Caroline found her work much less stressful, even relaxing, compared to the last couple of days at the hospital.

She was addressing the monthly checks to all of JC's home maintenance related employees when the distant sound of music surprised her.

Caroline looked up from her desk, realizing for the first time that the door that led down to the studio was open.  She stood and crossed the hallway to poke her head down the staircase.  The studio door was ajar, so she made her way downstairs, wondering if she should be frightened.

She pushed the door open slowly, only to find JC sitting inside, his back to her.  He was leaning over the counter next to the soundboard, writing something furiously as music played in the background.

"What are you doing here?" Caroline asked, and JC jumped out of his seat, clearly startled.

"Jesus Christ!" he shouted.  "You scared the hell out of me!"

Caroline crossed her arms over her chest and leaned against the doorframe.  "I've been here since 9.  Didn't you hear me come in?"

"No."  JC sunk back down into his chair, clutching his chest.  "How good was your mother's cardiac surgeon, because I may have just had a heart attack."

"Stop being dramatic," Caroline said, taking a few more steps into the room.  "Now tell me why you aren't in New York."

JC sighed.  "I didn't feel like going."  Caroline blinked, staring at him in silence for a few minutes.  "What?"

"So you're telling me that I made all those travel arrangements for nothing?" she demanded.  "Because you decided just...not to go?"

"Okay, I'm an asshole, you win."  JC turned back to the soundboard to lower the volume of the playback.  "Can we just skip all the yelling?"

Caroline frowned.  It was unlike JC to want to avoid bantering with her...usually, he seemed to relish in it.  "Are you okay?"

JC didn't answer right away, so Caroline pulled up the other leather chair next to the soundboard and sat down.  "Did you at least call Kevin?"

"Yeah.  He thinks I'm sick."  JC glanced at her out of the corner of his eye.  "And before you accuse me of lying, I might be.  My throat itches."

"Did you call the airline and cancel?" she asked.  "Because they had a private jet all ready for you."

"I called them last night," JC replied.  "I paid a huge cancellation fee, too."

Caroline knew all about the late cancellation fee - she'd been the one to spend the time making the arrangements, after all.  "So...you didn't go because you might be sick?  Or you didn't go for some other reason?"

JC tapped his pen on the countertop as he stared straight ahead.  "I didn't go because...I didn't think you should be alone."

At first, Caroline thought she'd heard him wrong, and she opened her mouth to question.  But when she saw how embarrassed he looked, she stopped.  "Oh."

JC shrugged.  "I know, it's dumb.  And it's none of my business.  I just thought...well, Brandon's out of town, and it's a tough time.  I wanted to be here if you needed anything."

Caroline was speechless; she was so overwhelmed and shocked by his admission.  He was only her boss, why should he put his career on hold because of her?  Why should he care?  Deep down, something in Caroline clicked, and she admitted silently what she'd been trying to hold back for the past three weeks - JC had somehow become much more than just her boss.  Somewhere along the way, they'd become friends, and now...now what?

"Well."  Caroline stared at her hands in her lap, nervously twisting the ring she wore on her right hand.

"I know, I know."  JC held up his hand as if to stop her from continuing.  "'It wasn't necessary'.  I know that."

"I wasn't...that's not what I was going to say," Caroline replied, her voice sounding small and distant.  "I just...thanks.  Thank you."

JC nodded slightly, and the two of them sat in silence for a few minutes.  Caroline didn't know what to think, so she tried not to think anything. 

"What are you working on?" she asked finally, motioning towards the notebook.  JC closed it instantly.

"Just...some stuff."

"For who?"

"Myself," he replied, shrugging when she raised her eyebrows.  "Just because my album got trashed doesn't mean I'm going to stop writing."

Suddenly, Caroline got a surprising urge to hear one of JC's songs.  "You should play me something."

JC frowned at her.  "Why, so you can make fun of me?"

"I'm not going to make fun of you," Caroline said.  "Really.  I...just realized I've never heard you sing anything."

"Never?" JC echoed, and Caroline shook her head.  "You've never even heard an NSYNC song?"

"If I have, none of them are coming to mind right now," Caroline admitted, laughing a little bit when JC's eyes widened to cartoonish proportions.  "I've told you, I'm really not a big radio listener."

"You probably won't like it," JC forewarned, but he was reaching for the computer as he spoke.  Caroline smiled. 

"No, probably not.  But humor me."

"Why don't you just go upstairs, hit YouTube and quit wasting my time?"  Caroline ignored his harsh words, shifting in the chair to cross her legs and rest her chin on her hand as he searched for a song.

"Play me something new," she suggested.  "I don't want to hear something everyone else has already heard."

JC cleared his throat loudly, like her request was a difficult one, but double-clicked on something anyway. 

"This was supposed to be on the new album."  He turned the volume up on the playback and apparently decided to let the song speak for itself, leaning back in his chair. 

The song started simply enough, with just a few piano chords, before JC's voice broke in.  Though Caroline had never heard him sing, she knew instantly it was him.  The cut of the song was still fairly rough, nowhere near being at the finished point for an album, but that added to its raw charm, going hand in hand with the soulful lyrics.  As Caroline listened, she was surprised to find that she actually liked the song.  Sure, it was filled with sugary-sweet pop beats and familiar cadences, but the powerful lyrics and JC's actually incredible voice seemed to outshine both of those things.

When it was over, JC hit a button and stared at her expectantly.  "Okay, go ahead."

"What?"

"Go ahead and tell me how much it sucked, and how much cooler I would be if I sounded like the Rolling Stones."

Caroline smirked.  "Okay, one.  It didn't suck.  Two, the Stones were never my favorite, I was more into The Who."

JC turned back to the computer, but not before Caroline noticed the smile that spread across his face.

"So you liked it?"

"Actually."  Caroline shrugged.  "Yeah, I did."

JC shot her a glare.  "Come on."

"No, I really did."  She paused, leaning her chin in her hand again.  "I mean, it's definitely not my style, but I know well-written music when I hear it.  Plus, you've got a great voice.  You're talented."

JC turned back to the monitor again.  "Thanks," he mumbled.  Caroline doubted anyone had ever seen him get embarrassed as many times as she had today - he was a fairly confident guy, generally speaking.

Deciding not to drag out the moment and humiliate him further, Caroline stood up.  "I guess I'd better get back to work."

"I can't believe you actually came here to work today," JC said, still staring at the computer, though it didn't look like he was doing anything.  "You could have just blown it off and I would have never known."

"Well, I guess it's a good thing I didn't, then.  Plus, I'd rather be here than at the hospital.  It's a little crazy right now," she admitted, heading for the door.  She paused to glance back at him and saw that JC had turned and was watching her.  "What?"

He blinked but didn't look away, and didn't blush.  "Nothing.  That's a nice dress.  Red's a good color on you."

Caroline did blush, but she held her head high and hoped that he couldn't see it in the dim lighting of the studio.  "Thanks."

She returned to the office and did her best to focus on work.  JC left her alone, for once, and stayed down in the studio for the most part.  In fact, she almost forgot he was there, and didn't see him again until she was getting ready to leave around 4:30.

"Are you going to the hospital?"

His voice startled her, and she jerked in her chair, glancing away from her computer monitor as it shut down.  "Jeez."

JC stood in the doorway, one shoulder against the frame, his hands in his pockets.  He looked calmer than usual, and...less confident somehow.  That instantly made Caroline feel nervous, and she reached for her purse carefully. 

"No, I was just going to head home.  I worked out kind of a schedule with my brothers, so that not all of us have to be there at the same time," she explained.  "I'll go back tomorrow morning."

She realized that she'd banked on JC being gone in order to skip work, and tried quickly to cover her mistake.  "Um, if that's okay, of course."

JC just shrugged.  "I don't care."

"Okay.  Thanks."  Caroline stood up, still wary about JC watching her as she pushed in her chair and made sure everything was neat on her desk.  "What are you up to?"

JC sighed heavily and turned so that his back was against the doorjamb and he was staring down at his sneakers.  "I don't know."

He was effectively blocking her way out, so Caroline leaned her hip against the side of her desk as she waited.

"I don't have anything planned for the next few days," he pointed out, "because I'm supposed to be in New York.  So I'm kinda free.  For once."  He shrugged again.  "I guess I don't know what to do with myself."

This made sense, JC tended to keep pretty busy, what with ABDC filming and recording sessions, not to mention his publicity calendar.  It was rare he had even a spare 24 hours to get some rest.  Caroline wasn't sure how he managed, but he was a pretty active guy, and apparently the packed schedule had grown on him, maybe a little too much. 

"You should do something fun," she suggested.  "Maybe call a friend and go to a movie or something.  Be normal."

JC glanced at her.  "Yeah?"

"Sure.  Why not?"  She tapped her chin, trying to think of any good reviews she'd heard.  "Oh, how about that one The Duel?  I heard it was really good."

JC fiddled with his watch.  "Maybe."  He paused, and it was a slightly awkward moment.  Caroline wasn't sure how she didn't see it coming when he asked, "Would you, uh...want to go?"

Caroline froze, trying not to let her face convey how shocked she was.  "Oh.  Um..."

JC waved his hand.  "It's cool, don't worry about it.  I just figured...you're probably tired, anyway."

"Um, well.  Um," Caroline stammered, adjusting the strap of her purse.  JC looked so forlorn, so...unsure of himself.  She wasn't sure how to handle it.  "I'm not...too tired.  I could...sure, that could be fun."

"You don't have to," he replied, his voice only slightly dry.  "It won't affect your payroll."

Caroline forced herself to roll her eyes and act normal even though her palms were sweating.  "Good to know.  But, really...yeah.  Let's go."

JC wasn't sold.  "Don't feel like you have to," he continued.  "I just asked you as a friend.  I won't cry if you say no."

As a friend echoed in Caroline's mind as she replied.  "I know.  We can go...as friends."

His gaze scrutinizing, JC cocked his head at her.  "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure."  Finally feeling somewhat composed again, Caroline pushed away from the desk and glanced at her watch.  "I need to go home and feed my cat.  Maybe a 7:00 showing?"

"I can look it up," JC said instantly, pulling his phone out of his back pocket.  He pulled up show times in an instant.  "7:15 at the Downtown Independent?"

The theater JC suggested wasn't far from her apartment, a little indie movie house that she'd been to quite a few times with friends and Brandon.  The small thought of her boyfriend made Caroline swallow hard.  He would not be happy about this, that much was true.  But it was too late...she'd already said yes, right?  Somewhere inside, Caroline knew it was too late for many reasons.  She was already in too deep.

"Yeah, sounds great.  That's only a few blocks from my place, so I can meet you there."

"Okay."  JC put his phone away.  "Well, uh.  See you in a couple hours, then."

"Sure.  Definitely."  Caroline smiled nervously and tucked her hair behind her ear as she left the office.  What the hell had she gotten herself into?

After picking at her dinner and wondering if she should change clothes or not (she didn't want to appear like she thought it was a date, after all, and he had said he liked her dress), Caroline made the short walk down to the theater.  The sun had already set, and the sidewalk outside of the cool, art deco sort of building was relatively busy.  The night was young, and the theater was a popular destination for hipsters and movie snobs. 

Caroline stood near the ticket booth and wrapped her coat more tightly around herself as a chilly breeze passed by.  She scanned the area for JC but didn't see him, and allowed herself to think about how sad it would be if he stood her up. 

"Hey."

JC appeared, seemingly out of nowhere, and Caroline realized why she hadn't noticed him right away.  He was wearing mostly all black, except for his gray newsboy cap, which he paired with glasses.  It was like his airport disguise, just classed up a bit.

"Oh, hi.  I didn't even see you," she admitted, and JC smiled.

"That's kind of the idea."  He glanced around.  "Not that I'm a hot commodity around these parts."

"Tell me you didn't drive the Audi," she pleaded.  JC shook his head.  "The Mercedes?"

He shook his head again.  "I took the bus."  He waited just long enough for her mouth to drop open before laughing.  "Joking.  I have the Jeep."

"That's good."  Caroline relaxed slightly - not only would the indie crowd look down their noses at him, driving anything that wasn't a Prius, but this wasn't the best neighborhood.  Nothing was going to ruin JC's night faster than someone breaking into, or stealing, one of his expensive cars. 

"Ready?"  JC motioned towards the ticket booth, and Caroline followed him over.  She had her wallet out when he asked for two tickets and paid for them both.  Caroline wasn't sure if she should argue or not, but...it seemed it was too late, anyway. 

The theater lobby was just as busy as the sidewalk, and JC motioned towards the concession area. 

"You hungry?"

Caroline shook her head.  "I ate at home."

JC frowned and patted his stomach.  "I'm starving."

"Go ahead," she said, waving him towards the counter.  "I'll go stake out some seats."

As it turned out, the small showing room was already considerably full, but Caroline managed to secure a couple of spots near the back of the theater.  She shrugged her coat off and draped it over the empty chair next to her to save it for JC, and tapped her foot on the ground as she waited.

"Caroline?  Hey!"

She glanced up to see a woman with pretty red hair coming down the aisle towards her.  "Julia, wow!  Hi!"  Caroline stood up to embrace her old college friend.  "It's been...forever."

"I know, right?"  Julia tucked her bright hair behind her ear and shrugged sheepishly.  "God, can you believe graduation was so long ago?  I feel so old."

Caroline laughed.  "Definitely.  What are you up to these days?"

"Oh, all sorts of stuff," Julia replied, waving her hand around as if to simulate how busy she'd been.  "Doing odd jobs here and there to pay the bills, mostly.  But I've got some pieces showing in West Hollywood next month."

"That's awesome, Jules," Caroline said.  "Congratulations."

"Thanks."  Julia squeezed Caroline's arm.  "What about you?  I thought for sure you'd be all over the Forbes 400 by now!"

"No, not quite.  I just finished up my MBA last year."

"Wow, already?"  Julia clasped her hands together excitedly.  "Caroline, that's impressive!  I bet you've got a great job."

Caroline chewed on her bottom lip, realizing for the first time that admitting her job was a bit embarrassing given her qualifications.  "Actually, it's been...tough.  I was out of work for about seven months."

Julia clucked her tongue and frowned.  "Oh, no.  I'm sorry, honey."

"Yeah, well."  Caroline shrugged off her friend's concern.  "I actually started a position in January, and it's definitely not permanent, but it's something to get me by and hopefully lead to a good recommendation someday."

"Good!"  Julia's expression shifted back into excitement.  "Well, what are you doing, then?"

"I'm, ah."   Caroline glanced over her shoulder quickly to see if JC had returned.  "I'm actually a personal assistant." 

Julia cocked her head slightly, but her smile didn't fade.  Caroline could see the quick flash of confusion in her eyes, even in the dim theater.  "Oh.  Cool!"  She paused and leaned close, eyes wide.  "For like...a celebrity?"

"Um, sorta."  Caroline ached to change the subject, peering around Julia's shoulder.  "Are you, um, here with somebody?"

"Oh, yeah!"  Julia turned around and motioned at a guy with a beard sitting across the aisle.  Caroline didn't recognize him, but he looked much the same as every guy Julia had ever dated all through college - very hip looking and relatively un-showered.  "That's Chase."  She turned back to Caroline with a half-shrug.  "It's kind of new, the jury's still out.  And of course you're still with Brandon, right?"

Caroline nodded slowly.  "Yeah, we're still together."

Julia held her hands over her heart and "aw-ed".  "That's so great.  You guys were the perfect couple.  What's he up to?"

Caroline filled Julia in on what was new with Brandon's band, explaining that he was out of town playing a few shows.  She realized her mistake when Julia glanced pointedly at the empty seat Caroline had been sitting in. 

"Are you here alone?" she asked, not giving Caroline a chance to answer.  "Come sit with us!  Don't worry, it's not even really a date."  She'd already begun tugging Caroline down the aisle, but JC chose that moment to appear, his arms overflowing with various food items, including a large tub of popcorn, red licorice, a corn dog, and two beers.

"I got you a beer," he announced, setting the bottle down in Caroline's cup holder awkwardly as he tried to juggle the rest of his food.  Julia's grip slackened as she stared, and Caroline stood up straight. 

"Um, Julia, this is JC," she said carefully, motioning towards him.  JC carefully set down everything he was holding before extending his hand to Julia.

"Hi," he greeted.  "Nice to meet you."

"Hi," Julia replied slowly, accepting his handshake even as she glanced at Caroline, eyebrows raised. 

"Julia's a friend from college," Caroline explained, and JC nodded, putting his hands in his pockets.  "She's actually a really talented artist."

"Oh."  Julia rolled her eyes but smiled, and Caroline pressed on, with hopes that she wouldn't have to explain who JC was.  Maybe Julia could just jump to her own conclusions - hell, with as fashionable as JC looked, she could probably just assume he was a gay friend.

"Are you still doing photorealism?" Caroline asked Julia, who nodded.  "She's really phenomenal."

"I'll have to check you out sometime," JC said.  "What's your last name?"

"Baker," Julia replied, clearly charmed by JC's interest.  "You guys should come to my showing next month.  It's at Gallery 825, off La Cienega." 

"I know exactly where that is," JC replied, smiling his best schmoozer smile at Julia.  "I'd love to go."

"Great!"  The lights dimmed as the previews began to roll, and Julia glanced back at her date once more.  "I guess I'd better get to my seat.  It was great meeting you, JC."

"And you."  JC shook her hand again.

"Call me sometime," Julia urged Caroline.  "We need to get together and catch up a little more."

Caroline doubted she would, but nodded and smiled anyway.  "Okay, sure.  Good to see you."

Julia waved before heading back across the aisle, and Caroline sat down, still tense from the encounter.  JC plopped the popcorn tub in her lap and she glanced at him.

"Hold it while I eat my corndog," he said, ripping open a mustard packet.  Caroline sighed.

"What did you do, buy out the whole concession?"

JC shushed her as the previews began to roll.

Even though Julia and her date were just twenty feet away during the movie, the film itself managed to distract Caroline enough from the awkwardness she felt within.  By the time it was over, JC had finished off every last bit of the food he'd bought.  She looked over at him when the credits began to roll.

"You cried," she accused, and JC glared at her, wiping at his face self-consciously.

"I did not.  You did."

"Yes," Caroline admitted.  "The end was sad."

JC scoffed a little bit as he finished off the last of his beer.  "I liked it."

"Me, too."  Caroline picked up her purse.  "You're welcome for recommending it."

Caroline helped JC pick up all of his trash and followed him back out into the lobby with the crowd.  Thankfully, there were enough people around that they didn't run into Julia again.  Once they were outside, Caroline tucked her coat closer around her as a brisk wind whipped her hair around.  JC put his hands in his pockets, and she turned towards him, expecting to say goodbye and make her way home.

"Do you like yogurt?" he asked suddenly.  "Frozen yogurt, I mean."  He turned to motion down the street towards a small shop with a fluorescent sign in the window.

"Dairy," Caroline reminded, pushing a stray tendril of hair out of her eyes.  She didn't miss the way JC's face seemed to fall. 

"Oh."

"Um.  Maybe they have a sorbet or something?" she said, knowing that she shouldn't have.  But the way JC's eyes lit up again made her bad decision almost worth it.

As it turned out, the trendy yogurt shop had several dairy-free options, including one mint-chip variety sweetened with carob.  Caroline was impressed to find that it was actually good and wondered why she'd never tried the place before.

She purposefully made it to the register before JC did, with his large cup piled high with various sprinkles, nuts, hot fudge, and cherries.

"You know the yogurt is supposed to be a healthy option, right?" she asked, and JC shook his head.

"Why do they have all these toppings, then?"  He didn't argue when Caroline paid for her own yogurt, and made the teenage girl behind the counter blush when he handed over his own card and winked.

"Thanks, honey," he said, and Caroline picked up a spoon as she watched the girl's reaction thoughtfully.  Of course, JC was probably more than twice her age, and she most likely had no idea who he was.  It seemed his enigmatic charm somehow spanned many generations, regardless of celebrity.

JC pulled out a chair for Caroline at the small metal table outside the shop.  She glanced at her watch as she sat down.

"Do you need to go?" JC asked, sitting across from her.  Caroline shook her head as she took a bite of yogurt. 

"No.  Do you?"

"Nope.  My schedule is embarrassingly bare, remember?"  He scooped an enormous bite of his own yogurt concoction into his mouth.

"Good?" Caroline asked, and he shrugged.

"Ice cream's better."

"Wouldn't know," she replied, and JC smirked. 

"Don't think I've forgotten about my mission, by the way."

Caroline tried her best at playing coy.  "I'm not following."

"You're going to eat some animal byproducts, and soon," he said confidently.  "I can be very persuasive when I want to be."

Caroline would have laughed, but there was an underlying seriousness in his tone that sent shivers down her spine.  It was bordering on suggestive, but JC didn't follow up with any pointed looks or winks to make it overwhelmingly so.  He just left his statement to hang there in the quiet as they ate yogurt and watched cars drive by, as if it were a promise for the future.

Caroline suddenly realized that she was very afraid that it was.  And that had nothing to do with eating meat.

"Actually, it's getting late," she said suddenly, glancing at her watch again, though she didn't actually register the time.  Her yogurt was only half-finished, and JC noticed.

"You didn't finish," he pointed out, and Caroline shrugged, standing up. 

"I can eat it while I walk," she said, and his eyebrows raised.

"Walk?"

"That's how I got here," she pointed out.  JC stood up as well.

"Well, it's not how you're getting home."  He finished off the last of his yogurt, tossing the cup in a nearby trashcan.  Caroline crossed her arms over her chest indignantly.

"Why not?"

"Oh, yeah, like I'm going to let you walk home by yourself in downtown LA at night."  He motioned towards her feet with a snort.  "Not that your shoes don't look totally acceptable for running from a murderer or anything."

"They're flats," Caroline argued.  "And it's only like three blocks to my apartment.  I walk around downtown LA all the time."

Of course, she didn't make a big habit of doing it by herself or after dark, but she didn't feel the need to mention that to JC.  He was already heading down the street towards where he'd parked. 

"I have pepper spray," she called after him, annoyed to find that she was following.  JC ignored her, and Caroline shoved another bite of yogurt into her mouth with a frustrated sigh.

JC didn't open the car door for her, but he did make a face when she got inside, still holding her yogurt cup.  Caroline noticed and made sure to exploit his discomfort.

"Oh, did you not want me to eat in here?"  She scooped out a hefty spoonful of yogurt and held it teasingly over the leather seat as she guided it to her mouth.  JC clenched his jaw but didn't say anything. 

"Seatbelt," he reminded as he pulled out of his parking spot, and Caroline obeyed with an eye-roll.

Once at her apartment, Caroline had the strangest urge to invite JC inside.  Thankfully, she caught it in time and smothered the suggestion quickly.

"Thanks for the ride," she said, unbuckling her seatbelt.  "And the movie."

"Thanks for coming."  JC kept his hands on the wheel and the motor running, his gaze straight ahead. 

"I guess I'll see you Monday."  Caroline opened her door and glanced back at JC once before getting out of the car.

She took the stairs up to her apartment, feeling somehow lonelier than ever before.

 

 

chapter 15 by rebeccan

Within the next few days, life seemed to return to normal.  Caroline's mother was released from the hospital and returned home.  Brandon got back from his trip up north, and things between them went more smoothly than they had in awhile.  Maybe he felt guilty for being gone during such a trying time,  Caroline wasn't sure.  But she wasn't complaining.

At work, things were average, at best.  JC got into a fair amount of shit for missing the pre-season ABDC auditions in New York, but he seemed to shrug it off.  Caroline doubted he would get into any serious trouble - even she had to admit that he was a key component for the show.  Not that she made a habit of watching or anything, but MTV played reruns of everything all the time...she couldn't help catching a glance here and there.  It seemed fairly clear to her that JC was the most valuable judge out of the three  - he was the only one that ever offered any serious suggestions or advice to the dancers, anyway.  Not that she cared.

By the middle of the week, Caroline had begun to remember how easy life was for her before she'd taken the job as JC's assistant.  The thought almost made her want to quit, but her check had just cleared on direct deposit.  She stared wistfully at her online bank statement on the computer screen and thought about simpler times.

"Are you daydreaming?"

JC certainly had a knack for startling her back into reality.  She signed out of her bank's website and turned to appraise him in the doorway of the office.  He was dressed even more ridiculously than usual today, in a houndstooth patterned oxford shirt and a bright yellow tie.  Caroline winced.

"At least I didn't get dressed in the dark."

JC rested his hands on his hips and sneered at her.  "Har-dee-har-har."

"Can I help you with something?" Caroline asked sweetly as she perused a new email from Kevin.  The subject line said something about JC's upcoming trip at the end of the month, and she frowned.  "You're going on a trip?"

"That's what I came to talk to you about." JC moved around the room, straightening a picture frame on the wall and poking at the leaves of the plant that Caroline had set on the windowsill, in an attempt to brighten up the dull space.  "When was the last time you watered this?"

Caroline ignored him as she read over Kevin's short email.  She picked up his schedule and scanned the last week of the month, which was suspiciously clear.  "How did I miss this?"

"Beats me."  JC picked up the bottle of water that was sitting on her desk and poured its contents into the plant.  "Anyway, my plans changed a little bit.  I'm going for seven days instead of five, and you have to come."

Too flustered to be indignant about the news, Caroline set the schedule down with a frown.  "Why?  The trip isn't even on here.  How did Kevin know about this and not me?"

"Maybe he's better at his job," JC joked.  "Look, I know I told you about this.  It was supposed to just be a visit home but now there's some Memorial Day benefit in DC that I have to go to.  Kevin thinks I should have you with me.  It was his idea, I swear it."

Caroline was too busy flipping through her notes  to respond.  It wasn't like her to just misplace important dates like that.  Thank God nothing else had been scheduled during that slot, or she would be so screwed.  She could have lost her job even, and the thought alone made her panic slightly.  Convincing herself it was because of the monetary loss she would suffer, Caroline continued to scatter papers and scan through old emails at the same time.  She was really off her game if -

"Caroline."  JC's firm voice broke into her thoughts and she glanced up to see him frowning down at her.

"I'm sorry."  She shrugged helplessly, staring at the mess around her.  "I...I really dropped the ball here."

"What do you mean?"

"None of this is planned," she admitted.  "I didn't book a flight, or schedule the car service, or find a hotel.  It's a mess."  She rested her head in her hands, frustrated.  If JC had to fly coach, he was going to be in a bad mood for a month.

"Would you chill?" JC suggested.  "It's been planned for awhile.  I just called the airline this morning to add you to the reservation."

She looked up cautiously.  "What?"

"Yep."  JC poked his finger into the damp soil of the plant with a thoughtful gaze.  "What kind of plant is this?"

"It's a bamboo palm," Caroline replied quickly.  "JC, are you telling me that you actually made all these arrangements yourself?"

"Yes," he said.  "I told you, I can function without an assistant when I want to."

Caroline was suspicious.  "Where's the paperwork?  The itinerary?  The flight confirmation?"

JC sighed and left the room, returning a few minutes later with a plain file folder.  He waited while Caroline leafed through it carefully. 

"Satisfied?" he asked when she was finished.

"There's no info on hotel reservations in here," she pointed out, feeling slightly triumphant.  JC's smug look didn't dissipate.

"There is no hotel," he replied.  "We're staying with my parents, in Maryland."

Caroline's jaw dropped.  "We are staying with your parents in Maryland?"

"Don't worry, they have plenty of room."  JC waved away her shocked expression.  "You can have the guest room.  My mom's stoked to meet you in person, by the way."

The thought of meeting JC's family and staying in their house was just a little too much for Caroline.  She leaned back in her chair with a heavy sigh.  JC either didn't notice her discomfort or ignored it.

"Do you think I should let this grow out?" he asked, motioning to his face.  At Caroline's blank stare, he huffed.  "The beard.  I haven't shaved in a few days."

Caroline just shrugged and JC scowled.  "You're no help."

Once Caroline had more time to process in the information, she realized that the actual hard part was going to be telling Brandon.  Not only would she be gone for a full week, but she was staying with JC's family?  Maybe there was a way to get around sharing that information without feeling like she was lying expressly.  Caroline thought it over while she drove home that night, and she was still worrying about it when she walked into the apartment.

It was Wednesday, so Brandon was home already, but the living room was oddly quiet.  Normally, he would have started some kind of dinner at that point, but the kitchen looked deserted. 

"Hello?" Caroline called out, setting her keys down on the console table with a yawn.  "Brandon?"

He appeared in the bedroom doorway then, looking oddly solemn. 

"Hey," Caroline greeted, shrugging out of her jacket.  "What's up?"

Brandon didn't say anything for a few seconds, and Caroline began to realize that something was wrong.

"Is everything okay?" she asked, stopping behind the couch as she kicked her shoes off.  Brandon sighed.

"No, I really don't think it is."  Caroline frowned, but before she could question him, Brandon motioned to the coffee table.  A glossy copy of Us magazine surprised her, and she half-smiled.

"What's this?" she asked, rounding the couch to pick it up.  Brandon still didn't respond, and he wasn't sharing in her smile.  Caroline glanced down at the cover, scanning it carefully.  She didn't make a habit of reading this crap, ever, and she wouldn't have known that the busty girl on the front was Kim Kardashian if the bright yellow headline hadn't told her so.  Several unrelated pictures down the side of the cover featured other celebrities, and the last one was JC.

Caroline was about to ask Brandon what the hell he'd brought this home for when she read the small caption.

JC Chasez's hot night out! Page 74.

She frowned but flipped to the indicated page, only half-surprised to see pictures of herself staring back at her.  It wasn't a big mention, just one page worth, but it was enough.  There were grainy pictures of she and JC outside of the movie theater, walking down the street, and eating frozen yogurt.  None of the photos were incredibly clear, which made sense because Caroline was sure she would have noticed a photographer if they had been up close.  She swallowed hard as she fingered the slick pages of the magazine. 

"Yeah, funny story, actually."  Brandon's voice broke into her thoughts and she glanced at up at him as he walked further into the room, not looking amused in the slightest.  "Mike called earlier today.  I guess his girlfriend is really into those gossip magazines, and she left this one sitting out."

Caroline set the magazine down and lowered herself to the couch carefully.  Brandon remained standing, arms crossed over his chest. 

"I went down the street and bought a copy," Brandon continued.  "Just to see for myself.  I thought maybe it was a misunderstanding, maybe it was just a girl who looked kinda like you.  But I'm pretty sure that's you, unless you'd like to tell me I'm wrong."

Caroline sighed.  "Brandon..."

"Is it you?" he repeated, his voice a little bit harder.  "Is it you, Caroline?" 

Caroline had never been big into lying.  Sure, she told little fibs here and there, mostly to make someone feel better about something or shut JC up at work.  But real lies made her hands tremble and her heart race.  She would always remember the first time she'd been caught in a lie, about her mid-quarter progress report when she was in 6th grade.  She'd gotten a D in her science class, and, knowing that her dad would freak about it, she'd rushed home from school in time to intercept the mail and hide the report at the bottom of her backpack.  Of course, it was only a matter of time before the school had called her house to ask why the progress report hadn't been signed and returned.  Her dad had sent her to her room without dinner, and later, after she'd cried her eyes out, he came in to sit on the edge of her bed.

"Liars never prosper, Caroline," he'd told her gently.  "The outcome of the truth is always better than the outcome of the lie.  Remember that."

Now, she knew that denying the photos was out of the question.  As bad of quality as they were, the pictures were obviously of her.  Plus, she'd had witnesses - she knew that if she lied about it, old Julia would turn up at some point and spill the beans to Brandon.  It was just the law of the universe, and her dad would agree.

"It's me," she said softly, and Brandon nodded slowly.  Caroline had never seen someone look so hurt in her life.  "But, Brandon...it wasn't anything."

"It wasn't anything," he repeated flatly.  "It looks like something.  It looks like you went to a movie and got some dessert afterwards.  Am I seeing it wrong?"

Caroline looked down at her lap.  "No."

Brandon sat down on the coffee table, elbows on his knees.  For a long time, they sat in silence.  The only noise in the apartment was the clock ticking in the kitchen and Moo purring on the armchair nearby.  Caroline ached to say something, to break the unbearable quiet, but she didn't feel that she had the right to speak.

"I don't think I can do this anymore," Brandon said finally, and Caroline looked up at him.

"What?" she whispered, afraid that he would repeat his words.

Brandon shook his head, staring down at the carpet.  "I feel like...I feel like an asshole, Caroline."

She kept her mouth shut, working hard to remind herself to hear him out. 

"I feel like an asshole because I'm jealous of..." Brandon picked up the magazine and hit page 74.  "I'm jealous of this guy.  I feel like an asshole because I had to hear about this from one of my friends instead of my girlfriend.  And most of all, I feel like an asshole because I'm not even a part of your life anymore."

Caroline opened her mouth to speak, but Brandon cut her off.  "Don't say that it's not true, because it is."

He tossed the magazine aside again and Caroline stared at its glossy pages down on the floor. 

"I don't want to hear any excuses," Brandon said quietly.  "You know I hate excuses.  I would ask you why, but you know what?  I don't even think you know the answer."  He stood up then, but Caroline kept her gaze downward.

"I'm crashing with Dave for a few days," Brandon said.  "Then...I don't know.  Maybe I'll go home for a little bit.  I just need to leave.  I can't be here, not right now."

Caroline forced herself to hold her head up and not cry.  "Are we breaking up?"

Brandon didn't answer right away.  "I don't know.  Do you want to break up?"

A few stray tears snuck out, and Caroline brushed them away before they could fall too far. 

"No," she said.  "But I understand if you...if you want to."

She wrapped her arms around herself and prayed that he would go to her, that he would change his mind, but Brandon didn't move an inch.  "I'm not sure yet.  I just need some time away."

Caroline nodded and stayed on the couch while Brandon went back into the bedroom and returned with a bag, already packed.  All he could have fit in there were some clothes and other essentials - the    apartment was just as filled with his stuff as it was with hers, after all. 

"I'll see you later," he said, stopping to scratch Moo behind the ears before heading to the door.  He never touched her or looked in her eyes, and Caroline wasn't sure if it was better or worse that way.  She stayed where she was, listened to the door click shut, and sat in the dark, alone.

Caroline didn't move, even when Moo began mewing for her dinner and pawing at the hems of her pants.  She stared straight ahead, afraid that if she stood, the world would come crashing down around her.  Her life had become fragile, like a snow globe that she could look in on.  If she moved, if she breathed, the whole thing could come apart. 

Eventually, exhausted and heartbroken, Caroline closed her eyes and laid down on the couch.  Only then, when she was certain no one would hear or care, she cried. 

 

chapter 16 by rebeccan
Author's Notes:
Note: Sorry for the wait...but this one is extra long to make up for it.

Caroline didn't tell anyone that Brandon had moved out, let alone JC.  She felt that she did a fairly convincing job of putting on a brave face during the day, then going home at night to sit in her quiet, empty apartment, alone.  After a week of being mostly numb, Caroline's empty sadness began to transform into anger.  Brandon was being ridiculous if he thought something was really going on between her and JC.  She hadn't done anything wrong.  It wasn't like she'd slept with him, for God's sake.

The anger lasted just a few days before the sadness returned again, but this new sadness was a bit messier than before.  Caroline stayed up late crying, woke up crying, cried in the shower, cried on her way into work, and had to blow her nose and redo all her makeup before she went inside the house.  If JC noticed anything different about her, he didn't say so, and Caroline preferred it that way.  It was easier to keep it inside, only letting it out when she was completely alone.

She'd been so consumed with her own misery that she'd more or less forgotten about the trip to DC.  The day before they were scheduled to leave, JC poked his head into the office to ask if she'd confirmed reservations with the airline yet.

Caroline stared at him blankly for so long that he stepped fully into the office, expression already set into a frown.  "Well, did you?" he repeated, and Caroline shook her head slowly.  "What the hell, Caroline?"

"Sorry, it...must have slipped my mind," she said, rummaging around for the right phone number.  "I'll do that right now."

JC continued to frown at her.  "You're acting weird."

"I'm just a little out of it.  Maybe I'm getting sick," she offered, but JC just shook his head.

"Well, stay away from me.  I've got a full day of sessions to get done before tomorrow.  I haven't even packed yet."

Caroline hadn't either, and she returned home to do so, mindlessly filling a suitcase with clothing.  She half-realized that no one would be around to feed Moo while she was gone, and after crying a little bit at the realization, Caroline called her brother to see if she could leave the cat with him.

"Why?" Seth asked curiously.  "Can't Brandon handle it?"

Caroline sighed heavily, realizing it was time to just come out with it.  "He moved out."

"What?" Seth demanded.  "When?"

"Almost two weeks ago."

"Christ, Caroline.  You okay?"

She shook her head slowly even as she said, "I'm fine.  You know.  Nothing's for sure yet.  He...we just needed some time apart."

Seth wasn't convinced, that much was clear.  "Is it because of your boss?"

"No," Caroline lied, her hands already shaking as she held the phone. 

Thankfully, Seth didn't pester her.  "Okay, fine.  When do you want me to pick her up?"

Caroline didn't feel confident enough to see Seth in person without breaking down, so she told him that she'd leave her spare key with the super and he could come pick up Moo sometime after she'd already left.  It seemed safer that way.

The car service arrived at her apartment early the next morning, and Caroline handed her suitcase off to the driver gratefully before getting in the back of the SUV.  JC was already inside, slouching in the backseat as he sipped from a Starbucks cup.

"You wear glasses?" was the first thing out of his mouth, and Caroline reached up to adjust them self-consciously. 

"I don't like to."  She closed the car door and put her seatbelt on with a sigh.  "They make my face look fat."

"I disagree," JC said, not missing a beat.  "Why are you wearing them now?"

Caroline didn't want to say that it was because putting her contacts in had been too painful on her eyes that morning, still swollen from crying herself to sleep the night before.  "Allergies, I think."

"Hm."  JC didn't look convinced, but he didn't pester her anymore. 

The flight to DC was a bit longer than the quick jaunt to Vegas they'd done the previous month, and Caroline found out quickly that JC was potentially the most annoying person to travel cross-country with.  She was feeling too passive to fuss with trying to restrict his caffeine intake, so he quickly downed almost an entire pot all on his own.  He tried his best to bother her, but Caroline plugged in her airline-issue headphones and turned the volume on the in-flight movie all the way up.  Thankfully, that seemed to do the trick, and he eventually tapped every limb of his body on every flat surface until he'd exhausted himself to sleep.

In fact, he was so out, that when the plane landed, Caroline had to shake him awake.

"JC.  JC." 

With the rest of the first-class passengers disembarking around them, Caroline stared down at her boss, frustrated.  He was dead to the world, and she turned his face towards her, ready to slap him back to consciousness.  However, something stopped her, and she found herself pausing to study his peaceful face.

He had decided to let his beard grow somewhat, and it was the first time that Caroline had actually seen him looking his age.  JC was thirty-three, but there was something about him that was ageless.  He had yet to sport any gray hairs, anyway, and no matter how much Caroline ribbed him about being old, she had to admit that he was a handsome guy, whether he was in his thirties or not.  Acknowledging the revelation made Caroline uncomfortable, and she pinched his arm, hard.

"Ow."  JC's eyes fluttered open and met hers.  "What?"

"We're here," she said, reaching for her bag.  "In DC," she clarified when JC kept staring at her blankly.

"Excuse me."  The flight attendant leaned against the seat in front of them, crossing her arms over her waist.  "We need to de-board every first class passenger before the coach passengers.  Is there a problem?"

"No," Caroline assured her, nudging JC out of his seat.  "Some of us are just slow movers today."

As it was a longer trip than before, both of them had checked bags.  The wait in the airport was a bit longer than normal, and more than one person approached JC for a picture or an autograph.  He was still barely awake, but at least he managed a smile, for the most part.  Once they had their bags, JC led the way to the rental car kiosk.

 

"Car services are more expensive here," he explained to Caroline as they waited in line.  "Plus, the drive to my parents place is like thirty minutes.  It's just easier this way."

To her surprise, he didn't even try to request a fancy car, and no one offered any kind of free upgrade.  They ended up in a red Ford Focus, JC behind the wheel.

"My dad was gonna pick us up," he said, "but he had to work."

"Your dad works?" Caroline asked, then realized her rudeness.  "I mean..."

"No, I know what you mean."  JC just shrugged.  "Don't get me wrong, I've done everything they'd let me do.  I paid off their house and cars years ago.  My mom just retired last year and my dad likes his job too much to just quit."

"Oh."  Caroline glanced out the window at the busy city around them as JC navigated towards a freeway. 

 

For the rest of the drive, Caroline mostly just looked around at the sights as JC drove.  Every so often, he would point out some landmark or supply her with various information on the area.  The furthest east Caroline had ever been was Arizona, so it was all new to her. 

 

JC's hometown was a mid-size suburban city, halfway in between DC and Baltimore.  Outwardly, there was nothing too special about the way it looked, but Caroline could tell that JC had a special place for the town in his heart. 

"That's my school!" he announced, pointing at a red brick building they passed.  "Until 8th grade, anyway.  Oh, and here's the park where I learned to ride a bike.  I crashed into that tree, right there."

Thankfully, the streets weren't too busy, because JC took his time driving her slowly through the grand tour of Bowie.  She learned that, even though it was spelled like David Bowie's last name, it was pronounced like an ocean bouy.  She also saw where JC got his first speeding ticket, where the post office was, and where his mom used to work.  In fact, it was safe to say she knew most everything about the city before they arrived at a light blue, two story house on a quiet cul-de-sac.

"And this is my house."  JC shifted the car into park and climbed out.  Caroline followed suit, taking in the normal looking house and the well-manicured lawn.  "It's awesome!"

She couldn't help but smile as JC bounded up the walk to the front steps.  She followed, only slightly nervous, hanging back when he flung the front door open.

"Mama!" he called out, disappearing inside the house.  Caroline hesitated at the welcome mat, making sure her shoes were clean before she stepped in.  The entryway of the house led to a flight of hardwood stairs straight ahead, and what looked like a formal living room off to the right.  JC's voice seemed to trail off to the left, however, so Caroline shut the door carefully behind her and made her way through the house.

The dining room was on the opposite side of the entryway, and an open door seemed to lead into the kitchen.  Caroline could hear noise inside, so she cautiously stepped up to the doorway, hands in her pockets.  It was indeed a kitchen, and a homey one at that.  It wasn't quite as large as JC's back in LA, but what it lacked in size, it made up for in heart.  The walls were painted a warm, sunny yellow, and the room itself was filled with the smell of freshly baked cookies.  A breakfast nook in the corner held a round oak table with a fresh vase of flowers sitting the middle, and a bay window over the sink housed a collection of small potted plants.

"Did you wash your hands?"  A familiar voice caught her attention, and Caroline looked to her right to see JC hovering over the stove.  A small woman, who Caroline could only assume was JC's mother, was pulling a pan of cookies out of the oven and trying to smack her son's reach away.

"I'll wash ‘em right now.  I gotta pee, anyway," JC announced, whirling around towards the doorway.  He spotted Caroline looking awkward in the doorway.  "Oh, Mom, this is Caroline."  He went over and took her hand in his, pulling her inside the room. 

Karen Chasez wiped her hands on a dishtowel and smiled warmly at Caroline.  "Of course!  It's so wonderful to finally meet you, Caroline."

"You, too."  She started to hold out her hand to shake Karen's, but the woman moved right in for a hug.  Caroline was startled but returned the embrace.

"Thank you for keeping this hooligan in line when I'm not around," she said, nodding towards JC, who was now bouncing up and down slightly.  "I thought you had to use the restroom?  Go!"

JC flitted out of the room, and Caroline was left alone with his mother, a woman who she'd spoken with countless times on the phone but never actually met in person.  Caroline cleared her throat and smiled.

"You have a beautiful home," she said as Karen began to pile the hot cookies onto a plate.

"Thank you.  We've thought about moving many times, but," She paused to sigh wistfully, "there's just too many memories here.  Although teenage girls showing up at all hours of the night will change your mind quick."

"That still happens?" Caroline asked, and Karen chuckled.

"Oh, not as much anymore," she said.  "Things are pretty quiet around here now, actually.  I guess it's a good thing we stayed put."

"So, JC grew up here?" Caroline asked, glancing around the room and trying to imagine a little boy version of JC running around the kitchen.

"For the most part."  Karen carried the plate of cookies to the table in the breakfast nook.  "And what will you have to drink, Caroline?"

JC returned once Caroline was seated at the table, a tall glass of lemonade in front of her and one bite already out of the oatmeal raisin cookie in her hand (which JC's mother had assured her was completely safe for her to eat). 

"Did she have to wash her hands?" JC asked, immediately scooping up two cookies from the pile on the plate.  "I want lemonade!"

"Get it yourself, you have legs."  Karen sat down across the table from Caroline.  "And don't spoil your dinner, your father will be home in an hour."

JC joined them at the table with the pitcher of lemonade and his own glass.  "What about Tyler?"

"He'll be here tomorrow," Karen replied.  "Caroline, I hear you've met Josh's brother already."

"Just once," Caroline said.  JC rolled his eyes. 

"Yeah, they get along great.  Tyler thought Caroline was a hooker."

Karen gasped and Caroline shot JC a death glare.  "He did not.  It's your fault for not introducing us, anyway."

"Joshua!"

JC raised his eyebrows at his mother.  "What?  Seriously, you're ganging up on me already?  I just got here," he grumbled. 

"Don't get whiney," Karen said.  "Eat your cookies.  Now Caroline, tell me about your family.  Surely it's not as crazy as this one."

For the next hour, Caroline sat with JC and his mom at the table, eating cookies and talking.  Karen was just as kind and polite in person as she was on the phone, and save for JC's humorous inserts here and there, the conversation was pleasant.  Caroline slowly began to feel comfortable in the Chasez home, and an hour passed by easily.

Around 4:00, Karen got up to start on dinner, and someone opened the front door. 

"That's my dad," JC said as Karen went out to the entryway to greet her husband.  "Just FYI, he calls everyone ‘kiddo'.  So don't get offended.  It's just his thing."

JC's dad was broad shouldered and tall, and he dwarfed Karen considerably as he followed her into the kitchen.  "Who is this lovely lady?" he asked, more or less ignoring JC as he crossed the room towards Caroline.  She stood to accept his handshake politely. 

"Dad, this is Caroline," JC said.  "My assistant."

"Too bad," Mr. Chasez replied.  "I was hoping you'd finally settled down."

JC groaned and Caroline blushed.  "It's nice to meet you, Mr. Chasez."

"Call me Roy, kiddo."  Shrugging off his suit jacket, he tossed it over a chair and squeezed JC's shoulders as he passed by.  JC mouthed "told you" to Caroline as she sat back down.

For the rest of the night, Caroline was content to observe the Chasez family dynamics.  Karen clearly played the peacemaker while JC and his dad worked hard to stir stuff up.  At the same time, Caroline could see where JC had inherited his serious side from - it was clear from the way that he talked about his own job that Roy valued hard work.  It was also obvious to Caroline that both of JC's parents were incredibly proud of all that he had accomplished.  In addition, they spoke of their other two children in the same noble manner.

Dinner was pot roast, but Karen had been diligent to prepare a completely separate vegan dish for Caroline. 

"I printed out the recipe so you could make sure everything was okay for you," Karen told her, handing over the index card.  "JC's told us how careful you are about your diet."

"For now," JC added, slicing off a giant bite of pot roast and dangling it towards Caroline.  "I'm working to lure her over to the dark side."

Karen slapped her son's shoulder.  "You're horrible.  Who raised you?"

As it turned out, the vegetable casserole that Karen had made was both safe for Caroline to eat and completely delicious.  She felt almost overwhelmed by the hospitality that JC's parents were so eagerly showing her, as if she were a member of their family.  The relationship that JC had with his parents was easy and warm, it was comfortable.  Caroline couldn't help but look at what he had and want it for herself.  She forced herself to push the thought out of her mind.

After the meal, Roy headed upstairs and Caroline stayed behind to help Karen with the dishes.  JC loitered in the kitchen as well, but he did more chatting than helping.  When the dishes were all clean and dried, JC went to get their bags out of the car and showed Caroline to her room.  It seemed all of the bedrooms except for one (Tyler's) were upstairs, and the guest bed was in a large corner room next to JC's sister's bedroom, who apparently was named Heather and wouldn't be able to make it home for the mini-family reunion of sorts.

JC left her alone, and Caroline took a few moments to change her travel-weary clothes and relax.  She'd brought her laptop with her from home in order to get some work done during the trip, and she couldn't resist the temptation to pull it out and check her email.  She checked her work account first, scanning over a few new messages, before switching to her personal account.  Only one new message greeted her, a short one from Seth letting her know that he'd picked up Moo for the week.  At the end, he'd tacked on a reminder: Call me if you need to talk.

Caroline didn't want to talk, but she would have been lying to herself if she didn't admit that she'd wanted to see an email from Brandon.  Disheartened, she closed the laptop and pushed it off to the side of the bed before glancing around the room.  JC's mom had apparently redecorated at some point in the amount of time they'd occupied the house, because the room looked fairly modern and cozy.  There were a few framed pictures on the antique dresser in the corner, and Caroline got up to analyze them more carefully. 

They were old family photos, the posed kind that you went to Sears or Olan Mills for.  One was taken when JC looked about six, with an amusing flowery late-seventies style background.  The next one had just a plan blue background, and JC and his siblings looked a little older.  Caroline rested her chin in her hand as she leaned on the dresser and studied the photos, realizing that JC looked virtually nothing like the rest of his family. 

Caroline heard some laughter floating up from downstairs, so she left the room and made her way back down.  On the way, she slowed to examine more family photos hanging on the wall of the stairwell.  Here, she was treated to basically a visual play-by-play of the lives of JC and his siblings.  Every school picture of every year was represented, and on JC's end, there were shots of NSYNC as well.  Caroline took a brief moment to appreciate the fact that millions of women would kill to be in her shoes, getting an inside look at the life of a pre-famous JC Chasez.

"What are you doing?"  The man himself appeared at the bottom of the stairs, and Caroline glanced down towards him.  He'd changed as well, into a pair of sweatpants and a plain white t-shirt.  It was the first time Caroline could ever remember seeing him look so...unfashionable.  "I was just coming to look for you."

"Just looking at pictures."  She stood back from the frames and tapped her chin.  JC climbed the stairs to stand next to her. 

"What?"  He reached over as if to cover up a picture of himself wearing MC Hammer pants.  "Don't judge my style choices."

"I always judge your style choices," Caroline replied.  "I was going to say that...you look nothing like your family."

JC shrugged.  "Probably because I'm adopted."

Caroline rolled her eyes and pushed on his shoulder.  "Ha ha."

He just stared at her.  "No, I really am."

"What?"  Caroline looked back at the pictures, focusing in on one with JC and his siblings.  Indeed, she couldn't find a single attribute to connect him to either of them, from hair color to bone structure.  "I didn't know that."

"I don't really think about it until people bring it up," JC admitted, shoving his hands in the pockets of his sweats.  "It's not really a big deal."

"No, it's not."  Caroline, wrapped her arms around herself, thinking about how lucky JC was to have such an amazing family, to have grown up in such a supportive environment, with parents who were still together and still loved each other.  She was thankful for her own family, but couldn't help be envious of the normalcy he had.

"Hey."  JC waved his hand in front of her face.  "Where'd you go?"

"Nothing.  Just, um...you have a really nice family," she said softly, and JC frowned.

"Are you gonna cry?"

Caroline sighed in disgust and pushed past him on her way down the stairs.  "I was trying to be genuine, but okay."

JC cackled behind her as they made their way downstairs.  "I know.  Sorry.  I think they're nice, too."  He motioned for her to follow him down a hallway.  "Family room's back here."

The backside of the house was home to a large, even cozier room with a plush couch, a couple armchairs, and a leather recliner.  JC's dad was already stretched out in the recliner, a newspaper unfolded in his lap.  Karen was setting a big bowl of popcorn on the coffee table as they entered, and a set of French doors opened up onto a spacious back deck that overlooked a sizeable backyard. 

JC made a beeline for the couch, instantly delving his hand into the popcorn bowl.  Caroline hovered near the door, stopping to inspect a few more framed photos on a bookshelf against the wall. 

It didn't take Karen long to notice Caroline lingering on the photographs, and she quickly jumped at the opportunity to pull out a vast collection of picture albums.  She sat Caroline down and went through them thoroughly, with a plethora of anecdotes about JC and his siblings along the way.  Present-day JC slouched in the corner of the couch, hogging the popcorn and zoning out at whatever was on TV, more or less completely oblivious.

It was safe to say that, as the evening wound down, Caroline had learned more about JC than she had ever cared to know. 

"My, it's late," Karen noted as she returned the heavy photo albums to their rightful places.  Whatever TV movie JC had been watching was apparently ending, and the popcorn bowl was completely empty.   Caroline leaned back on the couch with a yawn and a glance at her watch - it was just barely past 10, but she was beat. 

"You two must be exhausted, with all that travelling today," Karen added, and JC shrugged, picking up the remote to flip channels. 

"I feel fine.  Is there more popcorn?"

"Not for you, fatty," JC's dad teased as he stood from his easy chair.  "You downed the entire bowl."

JC frowned but didn't argue.  Roy and Karen bid them both a goodnight as they made to head upstairs, but not before Karen fussed about making sure Caroline knew where the bathroom was and the spare towels were kept.

The family room fell into comfortable silence after JC's parents went upstairs.  Caroline tried her best to stay on the television screen, even as JC changed channels every two seconds, but her eyelids felt heavy and her vision was beginning to blur. 

"Are you asleep?"  Suddenly, JC was leaning across the couch, studying her face.  Caroline pushed him away.

"No, but I need to be."  She got to her feet, only slightly unsteadily.  "I'm going to bed.  Goodnight."

"Okay."  She was halfway to the door before JC said her name.  "Caroline?"

She turned, to survey her boss, now leaning forward, knees on his elbows.  "Yes?"

"Are you alright?" he questioned, sounding completely sincere and holding one hand out carefully, almost as a peace offering.  "Like, really alright?"

For a moment, Caroline panicked, afraid that JC had somehow penetrated the emotional wall she'd erected over the last couple of weeks.  She felt the wall itself begin to crumble slightly as she envisioned sitting back down next to JC and pouring out all of the heartache and hurt she'd been keeping bottled up for too long already.

Instead, she cleared her throat and straightened her shoulders.  "I'm fine.  Just tired.  Not all of us downed seventeen cups of coffee on the flight in."

The quip seemed to muffle the serious atmosphere somewhat, and JC leaned back on the couch, raising the remote again.  "Whatever. ‘Night."

Caroline got ready for bed in the nautical-themed hall bathroom.  The dark blue towel that she used was soft and smelled like a freshly laundered mixture of fabric softener and, oddly enough, JC himself.  Caroline couldn't pinpoint it exactly, but it was as if the house he'd grown up in had left his mark on him and became a part of his natural scent somehow.  She re-hung the towel with slightly trembling hands, blaming it on lack of sleep.

However, once she was in bed, tucked comfortably between cool sheets, her head on a plump pillow, Caroline could not bring herself to fall asleep.  She tossed and turned for what felt like hours, trying not to look at the clock and make sure how long it had actually been since she'd laid down.

At some point, Caroline heard JC making his way upstairs.  She listened as he padded into his own room across the hall, and then to the bathroom.  She waited until she heard his bedroom door close before closing her eyes and finally drifting off. 

 

chapter 17 by rebeccan
Author's Notes:
Note: Well I guess it's been awhile again...hopefully you still care because we're getting close to the end here pretty soon!

The next day, JC's brother Tyler arrived - not quite as in style as his brother.  A friend picked him up at Baltimore International and dropped him off at the Chasez home just before lunchtime. 

"I'm on a budget," he'd admitted.

After just a couple hours spent with him, Caroline discovered she liked Tyler quite a bit.  He had a simple, quiet sense of humor, and an honest and likeable way about him.  In some ways, he seemed even more introverted than JC, but he was much more approachable as a whole.  Caroline figured it had something to do with not growing up quite as much in the public eye as his brother - he was more trusting and open, anyway. 

Though it was difficult with much of the chaos that dominated the house through the day, Caroline managed to secure the kitchen table on Wednesday morning to get some work done on her laptop.  She spoke with Kevin to get the 411 on the benefit dinner JC was scheduled to attend on Friday, and apparently, it was kind of a big deal.  Caroline wasn't entirely sure how her boss had gotten on the guest list in the first place, but she guessed it had something to do with Rob and his finagling. 

"It's black tie," Kevin told her over the phone, "and very formal.  Supposedly the Obama family is slated to appear, but it's only a rumor at this point.  Either way, security will be tight.  Make sure that JC has-"

"Sorry, Kevin," Caroline interrupted, flipping through a couple papers on the table in front of her.  "Did you say it was black tie?"

"I did.  Is that alright?"

"Yes, it's just..." Caroline thought mentally about her frantically packed suitcase upstairs.  She hadn't brought anything even close to black tie worthy.  "I don't think I'm quite...prepared for that."

"Not a problem," Kevin replied.  "JC already has an appointment with a stylist in Baltimore tomorrow for a tux fitting, we can tack you onto that.  Don't you have it on your schedule?"

Caroline quickly scribbled in the appointment with a sigh.  "I do now.  Time?"

"11 am."  Kevin paused.  "Is everything okay, Caroline?"

She rubbed her temples.  The last thing she wanted to do was admit to Kevin that she'd been more or less slacking on her job because of a stupid broken heart.  "No.  I mean, yeah...yeah, everything's fine.  I just, uh, got some stuff mixed up with this trip because JC did most of the booking on his own.  It threw me off a little bit."

"I understand."  Kevin didn't dwell on the issue, and quickly moved onto the next area of business.  He informed her that, since Rob was unable to attend the event, she would be acting as JC's interim publicist.

"Try to field any interviews as best as you can," Kevin instructed.  "There shouldn't be any issue with that inside the event itself, you'll mostly have to handle what happens outside.  Make sure JC doesn't get caught up with any one reporter for an extended amount of time, try to limit his interactions to forty-five seconds or less - two questions max."

Kevin rattled on a few more tips for her, and Caroline scribbled them all down as he spoke, feeling more and more overwhelmed by the minute.  Though he never expressly said so, Kevin's undertone clearly implied that this was an important event for JC.  The guest list was off the charts with celebrities, politicians and the like.  This was not a function that JC could afford to get drunk at and start telling the world to screw off because he was bitter about his career.

Caroline managed to get a bit more work done before JC and Tyler appeared in the kitchen, apparently on a break from their video game binge in the family room.

"Seriously?"  Tyler jabbed his thumb at Caroline on the way to the fridge.  "You're making her work?"

"I'm not making her do anything, clearly."  JC slipped onto a barstool at the kitchen island as he tapped at something on his phone and waited for Tyler to get out a gallon of milk and a couple of glasses.

"Well, stop being a dick and tell her to stop," Tyler suggested, taking the lid off of a cow-shaped cookie jar and pulling out a handful of yesterday's oatmeal raisin batch.

"Caroline, stop working," JC deadpanned after downing half of his milk.  Caroline ignored him as she finished off an email.

"Ew, gross."  She glanced up in time to see Tyler spit out the bite of cookie he had just taken.  "What are these?"

JC snickered.  "Mom made them vegan for Caroline."

Tyler gave Caroline a sympathetic expression.  "I'm sorry for you."

"I liked them," Caroline admitted, sending her email and beginning to get her stuff in order.  Apparently, her work was done for the day.

"Well, pull up a stool.  I'll make you a plate."  Tyler plunked two cookies down on a napkin and set it at the spot next to JC.  "I'd offer to pour you some milk, but my guess is that you wouldn't drink it."

"No, but I'll take some lemonade if there's any left."  Caroline stretched before crossing the kitchen and sitting down next to JC, still busy texting as he ate.

Tyler poured her a tall glass of lemonade and passed it across the island.  "Who are you texting?" he asked JC, who didn't answer right away.  Tyler caught Caroline's gaze and rolled his eyes exaggeratedly.

"Tony," JC replied finally.  "He's playing a show in Baltimore tonight."

Caroline didn't know who Tony was, but Tyler seemed intrigued by this news.  "Sweet.  Should we go?"

"Probably."  JC crammed a cookie in his mouth and mercifully finished chewing before turning to Caroline for the first time.  "You interested?"

"I don't even know what you're talking about," she said, taking a careful bite of her cookie.  In all truth, they were actually really good - Caroline had never quite perfected the art of baking, especially vegan baking.  It took real skill to make something that tasted good without the addition of eggs and butter.  A fleeting memory of her first foray with a vegan cake came flooding to the forefront of her mind, striking her like a painful arrow to the heart.  Brandon had been a good sport about it, eating almost a third of the terribly dry and crumbly cake all on his own and telling her how much he liked it in spite of how atrocious it actually was.

Caroline was shocked to find her eyes getting misty as the shock of loneliness and missing Brandon hit her hard.  JC had said something and both he and Tyler were waiting for her response.  In a panic, she dropped her cookie and faked a loud cough. 

"You okay?" Tyler asked as she took a gulp of her lemonade.  A single tear managed to escape as she blinked but Caroline brushed it away quickly.

"Yeah, sorry.  I choked," she said, staring down at the granite countertop.  "What did you say?"

JC was watching her curiously, but he didn't call her out.  "Tony's an old friend, he's a musician.  I actually think you would like his stuff."

Caroline smirked at that.  "Hmm."

"He's actually really good," Tyler interjected.  "Way better than JC."

JC shot a glance at his brother.  "Thanks, man."

Caroline looked at her watch, even though she clearly had no pressing appointments coming up.  "I don't know, I still have some stuff to get done," she fibbed.  JC frowned.

"I highly doubt that, but even if it's true, the show isn't until nine tonight."

Caroline really would have rather wallowed in her own inner turmoil than go out with JC and his brother, but she was fresh out of excuses.  "I guess so.  If you're sure this guy doesn't suck."

As it turned out, this guy Tony didn't suck at all.  And he had good taste in venue - the low-key gig was at a little bar in downtown Baltimore, which was actually surprisingly happening, even for a weekday.  The place was full but not packed, and Caroline sat down at a small table near the back with JC and Tyler while a girl played the fiddle onstage.  A few people glanced in their direction, but if anyone recognized JC, no one approached.  Caroline figured the crowd was too cool, even if they wanted to.

A waitress appeared to take their order, and Caroline could hear her inner smart girl voice telling her not to order any alcohol given her state of mind, but she suppressed it easily.

"Scotch on the rocks, please," she said when the girl turned to her.  "Double."

JC raised his eyebrows but didn't comment.  "Same," he told the waitress, and she left with a nod.  Caroline glanced at him. 

"If you're thinking about trying to match me, I wouldn't recommend it," she warned, low enough so that Tyler couldn't hear.  "Not tonight."

JC's expression remained impassive.  "Didn't even cross my mind."

Caroline rolled her eyes and leaned back in her seat. 

The girl with the fiddle finished to polite applause, and by the time the waitress returned with their drinks, JC's friend had taken the stage.

He was a normal looking guy with a beard and some scattered tattoos on his arms.  He introduced himself to the audience after taking a seat at a baby grand piano onstage.  After a bit of idle chat, he started to play, and Caroline was impressed instantly.  Lucky for her, Tony's playing was enough to distract her from not downing her entire drink in one go - she managed to space it out over two songs before getting up for a refill. 

Tony picked up a guitar for his third song, and another guy joined him to play hi-hat for a slightly jazzy number that Caroline really enjoyed.  She stayed at the bar to finish her second drink and ordered a third to take back to the table, not realizing until she stood up that she'd already started to feel a slight haze descend over her.

JC glanced pointedly at her glass as she sat down but still didn't say anything.  Tony finished off another song before breaking for a short intermission, and it wasn't long before he found himself at their table. 

"You made it," he exclaimed with a laugh, giving JC a warm hug.  "Good to finally see you, man."

"It's been way too long," JC acknowledged.  Tony greeted Tyler much the same way before pulling up a chair to join them.  "Tony, this is my assistant, Caroline."

"Hey, nice to meet you."  Tony shook her hand across the table and gave her a kind smile.  "What happened to, uh...Jenny?" he asked JC, who waved his hand.

"She's so last year.  I fired her at Christmas."

Tony's laugh was filled with disbelief while Tyler shook his head.  "God, you're an asshole.  How can you work for him?"

Caroline shrugged at Tony's question.  "The pay makes it bearable."

Tony pointed at her.  "Alright!  I like your honesty."  He beamed around the table at them.  "I'm glad you guys are here.  How about a round of beers on me?"

His offer was taken up whole-heartedly, and the waitress delivered several Heinekens promptly.  Caroline sipped hers and listened while JC and Tony caught up; she learned that they'd met on the Disney show back when they were kids, and while JC had taken the pop route, Tony had gone a little more underground.  He'd released a couple albums on his own and taken a fairly grassroots approach to music, which Caroline could appreciate.  He'd been met with some success, however, thanks to his famous friends - even opening for NSYNC a couple of times and managing to develop a cult following among the group's more devoted fans.

A stage manager approached Tony before he could get too in detail, and told him it was time to get back onstage. 

"Why don't you come up and do a song with me?" Tony asked JC, giving him a little punch on the shoulder.  JC brushed him off.

"Nah.  I'm just a fan tonight."

Tyler reached across the table to join in the punching.  "Do it.  Give the people what they want."

JC rolled his eyes.  "No one here wants that."

Tony and Tyler looked to Caroline for the appeal.  She fingered the label on her beer bottle idly.

"I want it," she said, glancing at JC.  He met her gaze, still looking unconvinced, and Caroline leaned forward.  "Come on," she urged, knowing that she was too drunk to be this close to JC but way past the point of stopping herself.  "You'll have fun."

"I doubt that," JC replied, pushing his own beer aside.  Caroline found herself reaching under the table to squeeze his knee and JC looked at her, startled. 

"Please," she murmured, resting her chin on her free hand as she smiled lazily at him. 

"Can't say no to that," Tony said over Tyler's uncomfortable chuckle.  JC cleared his throat and tore his gaze away from Caroline's before standing up. 

"Fine.  But just one."

Tony grinned.  "The power of a woman."

JC disappeared backstage with Tony, leaving Caroline at the table with Tyler.  She finished off her beer and motioned the waitress over, knowing that she probably wouldn't make it to the bar on wobbly legs. 

"Maybe you should cut it off," Tyler suggested, taking another sip of his own beer.  "You are totally drunk."

"I can hold my liquor just fine, thanks," Caroline replied, instantly feeling bad about how snippy her remark came across.  Tyler just shrugged.

"Alright, whatever."

Caroline pursed her lips and ordered a gin and tonic when the waitress came over, raising her eyebrows at Tyler as if the addition of a non-alcoholic portion to her drink was a smart choice.  He just shook his head and looked up towards the stage as Tony came back on.

"Hey y'all," he greeted, taking a seat at the piano bench once again.  "This is a cover, hope you enjoy it."

The waitress delivered Caroline's drink a minute later, but she ignored it, too busy listening to Tony's melancholy rendition of Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me".  Caroline felt the crushing sadness she'd experienced in JC's kitchen earlier return slowly, heavily.  This time, her resolve weakened by too much alcohol, Caroline was powerless to stop it from taking over. 

She leaned her chin in her hand and listened to Tony sing, keeping her eyes wide open as if that would stop the tears from falling.  It didn't, of course, and by the time the song was over, they were pouring down her face in fat, warm drops.  Caroline wrapped her arms around her midsection and, for what felt like the first time since Brandon had walked out on her, didn't try to squelch the loneliness she felt within.

JC came up onstage with Tony for the next song, but Caroline had a hard time focusing her vision on them.  Tyler glanced back at her, noticed her tears, and almost spilled his beer.

"Are you...okay?" he asked tentatively.  Caroline started to say yes but found herself shaking her head instead.

"No," she admitted, her voice wavering.  "No, I'm not."

Tyler glanced back and forth between the stage and Caroline, as if weighing his options.  Finally, he scooted his chair closer to hers.  "Do you...want to talk about it?"

Even though Tyler didn't sound entirely convinced  that he wanted to talk to her about anything, Caroline's tipsy mind was overwhelmed with the thought that he even cared to ask, and more tears began to fall.

"It's nothing, really," she lied.  "I just, uh...I just got out of a serious relationship."

That sounded a little less pathetic than "my boyfriend left me", but Tyler's brow still furrowed in concern.  "Really?  Brandon?"

Caroline nodded, even as hearing his name made her heart squeeze painfully within her chest. 

"JC said you guys were together for a long time," Tyler continued. 

"Four and a half years," Caroline replied, half-hearing JC and Tony sing a cover of Sam Cooke's "Bring It on Home to Me" in the background.  She took a moment to take a breath and keep herself from sobbing.  "It would have been five in December."

Tyler nodded slowly.  "I'm sorry."

"It's okay," Caroline said automatically, then shook her head.  "No.  No, it's not okay."

Her sadness started to transform indignant as she picked up her gin and tonic to take a hefty sip.  Tyler waited, watching her carefully and looking nervous. 

"It's not okay because...I didn't do anything wrong," Caroline continued, shaking her head and jabbing her thumb up at JC onstage.  "Brandon was jealous from the beginning, for no reason."

Tyler followed the trajectory of her gesture, watching his brother for a second before turning back to her. 

"Wait...are you saying you broke up because of JC?"

"Because of Brandon's insecurity, maybe," Caroline said, feeling the tirade begin to rise up from within her, and she was powerless to stop it.  "He made assumptions, he...he overreacted."

"Um."  Tyler peeled off the label on his beer bottle and crumpled it in his hands before smoothing it out again.  "What, uh, happened?"

"We just...we went to a movie.  As friends," Caroline emphasized, maybe overly so.  "I mean, obviously.  And Brandon totally flipped.  For no reason!"

"Where was he?"

"Out of town."

Tyler started to tear the beer label into pieces.  "Oh."

But Caroline wasn't done.  "It's really ridiculous.  It's ridiculous because I don't...I mean, it's JC.  Come on.  He's my boss."  She leaned back in her seat to watch the man in question finish up his song onstage with Tony.  "I guess we're friends, but...that's it.  That's it!"

Somewhere in the back of her mind, Caroline was aware that she was starting to slur her words a little, but she ignored it.  "I don't even...I've never even looked at him in that way."

The words sounded stilted to Caroline's ears, and she realized slightly that it was because the statement was a lie.  Suddenly depressed, she leaned her chin in her hand again as the tears made their reappearance.

Tyler cleared his throat and didn't say anything.

JC and Tony finished their song to rousing applause, and Tony gave JC a hug onstage before he headed off.  Caroline shook her head slowly, wiping the hot tears off of her face in revolt.

"I don't...I didn't mean for this to happen," she whispered, looking at Tyler with wide eyes, desperate for him to believe her.  "I really didn't."

Tyler just nodded slowly.  Caroline looked to the front of the room again, watching as JC stopped to talk at a table near the stage.  She stared at him for a few minutes, studying his mannerisms, his smile.

So she hadn't meant for it to happen - but that didn't change the fact that it had.  The realization made Caroline feel warm all over (or maybe it was the gin), and she wiped the rest of the tears away.

"You know what I'm going to do?" she said suddenly, and Tyler looked startled, as if he hadn't expected her to make so quick of a recovery.  "I'm gonna do it.  I'm just gonna do it."

Tyler's eyes widened in fear.  "Do what?"

Caroline laid her palms down on the tabletop, convincing herself they weren't trembling.  "I'm going to make out with your brother."

Tyler gulped.  "Uh.  That's...I really don't think that's a great idea."

Caroline glanced at him.  "Why not?  Brandon probably thinks I've done it anyway.  So...so I'll just prove him right.  I'll just do it."

Pushing away the mess he'd made with the beer label, Tyler leaned across the table towards Caroline.  "First of all, you're wasted.  Second of all, it wouldn't even be a good idea if you were sober."

"Why not?" Caroline demanded again.

"Do you still love this guy?" Tyler asked.  "Brandon?"

Caroline bit down hard on her bottom lip, keeping her gaze on JC across the room.  She chose not to answer Tyler's question verbally, but he read the response on her face.

"Hooking up with JC isn't exactly going to bode well with your chances of getting back together with him," he pointed out.  "Right?"

Caroline didn't want to consider it, so she pushed the thought out of her mind.  "I don't care."

"You don't care right now because you're drunk," Tyler pointed out.  "Later you'll care."

Caroline tried to roll her eyes but couldn't quite coordinate the movement, so she reached for her drink instead.  Tyler quickly moved it out of reach.  "I'm cutting you off."

"What the hell?"  Caroline wanted to get angrier but couldn't quite muster up the energy.  "It's none of your business."

"Newsflash," Tyler replied, looking as serious and mature as Caroline had ever seen him .  "He's my brother.  It's completely my business."

Caroline tried to match Tyler's stare but she was too intoxicated.  JC appeared at the table before she could think up something to say.

Seeming to sense the intensity of the atmosphere, JC crossed his arms over his chest.  "What's up?"

"Caroline's drunk," Tyler replied, finally breaking their mini-staring contest.  "We better go."

JC heaved a sigh.  "Well, that didn't take long.  It's barely 11."

"I'm not..." Caroline trailed off, already forgetting what she was about to argue.

"Yeah, you are."  JC rounded the table and picked up her purse for her.  "Come on.

Caroline was aware of Tyler's stare as JC helped her out of the chair with a gentle hand on her elbow.  She leaned into his touch in revolt, managing to raise her eyebrows in challenge at the younger man. 

"Whoa."  She leaned a little too far and nearly lost her balance, so JC caught her against his chest, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "Try looking at your feet while you walk."

"Okay."  Caroline looked away from Tyler to smile up at JC.  "Don't let me fall, okay?"

JC chuckled.  "Alright, I gotcha."

Tyler said nothing as the three left the bar, Caroline doing her best to lean against JC as much as possible.  Thankfully, she was drunk enough that she didn't have to fake it too much - she even tripped over a crack in the sidewalk somehow, and JC used his other arm to steady her.

"You okay?" he asked, looking down at her, clearly amused.  Caroline blinked slowly, giving her best attempt at looking sexy. 

"I'm fine."

Tyler appeared on JC's other side, interrupting the moment.  "Car's right here.  I'll drive, I only had the one beer."

JC helped Caroline into the backseat, and she couldn't resist the temptation to lie down, even as he tried his best to buckle her seatbelt. 

"Just don't puke back there," JC said, turning back to look at her once he was in the passenger seat.  "I didn't buy the rental insurance."

Caroline nodded and closed her eyes to settle in for the half-hour drive.

What felt like seconds later, JC was unbuckling her seatbelt.  "We're home," he said, sounding far away.  "Can you get up?"

Caroline mumbled a reply and allowed him to pull her out of the car and help her to the front door.  Heading up the walk and into the house passed in a blur for Caroline.  She was somewhat aware of JC having to half-carry her up the stairs.  He helped her into her room and onto the bed, but Caroline could see Tyler in the background, standing watch in the doorway. 

"Do you need a bucket in here or something?" JC asked, glancing around the room.  Caroline shook her head, sinking into the pillow with a sigh.

"No.  I'm fine."

"Alright then.  See you in the morning."  JC reached out to push a piece of hair out of her face, and Caroline grabbed his hand, holding it tightly in hers.  "What?"

Tyler cleared his throat in the doorway.  "You better let her get some sleep, Josh."

JC nodded and pulled his hand out of Caroline's grip.  "I just want to make sure she's okay."

"She's drunk," Tyler replied.  "Just let her sleep it off and get her some aspirin in the morning."

"Fine.  What's your problem?" JC asked.  Caroline only half-realized that they were having a conversation about her as she began to drift off into sleep.  Tyler's response was unintelligible.

What couldn't have been more than two minutes later, someone was shaking her awake.

"Stop," she mumbled, rolling over onto her stomach and burying her face in the pillow.  She had just fallen asleep, who the hell was shaking her?

"Caroline, it's 10 am," JC announced, his voice just barely breaking through the haze of sleep that still surrounded her.  He sounded so far away.  "Caroline."

Caroline opened her eyes and lifted her head slightly.  A shock of pain shot up her spinal cord and into her head like a blinding light, and she groaned, rolling over onto her back and covering her eyes.

"Sit up and take some aspirin," JC was instructing, and before she could even think about complying, he was lifting her into a sitting position, propping her up on pillows.  "Here."

He pulled her hand away from her face and pressed two pills into her palm. 

Caroline opened her eyes cautiously, realizing that the blinding light was actually filling the entire room.  A glance at the clock told her that it was, indeed, 10 am.  She couldn't remember the last time she'd slept in so late. 

She tossed the pills in her mouth and swallowed as JC handed her a glass of water to wash them down.  As Caroline drank, she realized that she was parched...and JC was fully dressed and ready for the day.

"Don't drink too much," he warned, but it was too late.  Caroline set down the half-empty glass and sat up a little straighter as her stomach rolled. 

"Oh, God."  She threw back the blankets and stumbled out of bed, nearly pushing JC over in the process. 

After Caroline had made it into the bathroom to completely empty out the contents of her stomach, she sat down cross-legged on the tile floor, her head in her hands.  What kind of idiot was she?  She hadn't been this hung over since college.

JC knocked on the door.  "You alive?"

Caroline stood up and washed her hands before opening the door.  "Barely."

JC had the bottle of Tylenol in hand.  "You better take a couple more.  Drink less this time."

Caroline scowled.  "You think?"  She snatched the bottle from him, but before she could close the door, JC held out his wrist, displaying his watch.

"Remember the stylist appointment is for 11.  We need to leave here in a half-hour at the latest."

Caroline groaned and leaned against the doorjamb.  "Shit.  I forgot all about it."

"Just do your best to clean up," JC replied over his shoulder, already heading for the stairs.

Since she didn't have time for a shower, Caroline couldn't wash any of the bar grime off of her from the night before.  She did her best with a washcloth and a hefty coating of mascara, but she still looked like trash and felt even worse.

"Caroline!" JC shouted from downstairs.  "Come on!"

He was waiting for her at the bottom of the stairs, keys to the rental in hand. 

"You drive," he suggested.  "I've got some emails to send."

Caroline thought about protesting, but figured she didn't have the spirit.

Thankfully, the rental car had a GPS, so Caroline plugged in the address to the stylist in Baltimore and let the soothing British voice tell her where to go.  JC settled in the passenger seat with his Blackberry, only looking up to change the radio station every few minutes.

The car was idling at a stoplight a few miles away from their destination when JC finally spoke.

"So you and Brandon broke up."

It was a statement rather than a question, and it took Caroline almost a full minute to respond.  How had he found out?

"Um...yeah."

"Tyler told me," JC clarified, not looking up from his phone.

The previous night's events came rushing back to Caroline, and she heaved a sigh.  Had she really told Tyler that she wanted to make out with JC?  Closing her eyes in embarrassment, Caroline rubbed her forehead. 

"Green light."

Caroline opened her eyes again at JC's words, right when the car behind her began beeping its horn obnoxiously.  She didn't say anything more as they continued their drive to the stylist's studio, not too far from the bar they'd visited the previous night.  Caroline found parking in a nearby structure and shut the car off, groping for her purse in the back. 

She'd righted herself in the driver's seat before she realized that JC was watching her.

"What?" she demanded, feeling her cheeks color.

JC continued to stare at her.  "Is that why you've been acting weird lately?" he asked, and Caroline shrugged, trying to play it off.

"Weird how?"

JC unbuckled his seatbelt.  "I don't know.  You don't argue with me as much.  You're not as witty as you used to be."

"Thanks," Caroline muttered, rolling her eyes. 

"I'm assuming that's why you got so wasted last night, too," JC continued.  Caroline opened the car door.

"I don't really want to talk about it."

She got out and slammed the door behind her without waiting for JC's response. 

Caroline was halfway to the elevator before JC caught up with her.

"Do you want kids?" he asked, and Caroline almost tripped over her own feet.

"What?"

"Do you want kids?" he repeated, shrugging when she stared at him.  "Just asking."

"Like...now?" Caroline asked, and JC chuckled.

"In general."

Apparently JC was having one of his hyper-brain days.  They reached the elevator and Caroline waited until they were inside to answer.  "I don't know.  It's not really something I'm thinking about right now."

JC hit the button for the ground floor and leaned against the side of the elevator, facing Caroline.  "But you've thought about it before?"

Caroline crossed her arms over her waist and tucked herself into the corner.  She still felt like shit and the last place she wanted to be was discussing life plans in an elevator with Dr. Phil.  Regardless, JC's question turned itself over in her mind.  Of course she'd thought about it, of course she and Brandon had discussed it, especially as things got more serious.  Caroline didn't have a very high opinion of marriage, and she certainly didn't want to even consider the prospect of making things legal until she was at least 30 and had a well-established career.  She did know, however, that she wanted to be married before even thinking about having kids.  She would be lying if she didn't admit to herself that she wanted to somehow provide the perfect family life she'd missed out on to kids of her own someday.

Brandon's only strong opinion on the subject was wanting to name a kid after Joe Strummer of The Clash.  "It could be a boy or a girl, really," he'd always say.

"Of course I...want them," Caroline said finally.  "But things have to be...different.  I have to be ready."

JC glanced at her as they started up the street towards the building the stylist was located in, clearly wanting her to elaborate. 

"It's just..." Caroline sighed.  "My parents had kids in an attempt to save their already crumbling marriage.  And in the end it collapsed anyway, and just made life shitty for us.  I don't ever want to do that.  I want to have kids when I know it's right for me and...whoever.  And right for our family."

JC didn't say anything for a few moments, and when they stopped at a crosswalk, Caroline looked at him expectantly.  "Well?  Do you want kids?"

She meant the question to be facetious, but it came out more serious than she'd hoped.  What if JC didn't want any children?  After all, he was in his mid-30's and didn't appear to be anywhere near settling down.  Maybe he hated kids.  Caroline shook her head to push the thoughts out - who cared?  Certainly not her.

"Yep," he answered easily, hands in the pockets of his chinos as if he didn't have a care in the world.  "I only want boys, though."

Caroline cocked her head.  "Why?"

"Girls are too much work," he replied.  "Plus, I'm not the most intimidating guy, I can't really see myself chasing off boyfriends with baseball bats.  I've never even played baseball, come to think of it."

It was a ridiculous statement, but Caroline laughed out loud.  JC grinned, as if that had been his intention all along.

The stylist's office was on the fourteenth floor of a high-rise overlooking the city, and the lobby was filled with oversized modern furniture in shades of burgundy and green.  The model-like woman at the front desk instructed them to take a seat until their respective stylists were ready.

"You mean you're getting styled too?" JC asked Caroline, clearly making fun of himself even as he teased her.  Caroline shrugged one shoulder.

"I didn't pack anything black tie acceptable.  Kevin's making me."

JC flicked through the pages of some fashion magazine.  "Maybe you'll have fun."

Caroline doubted that, but she had a bit too long to think it over.  JC's scheduled stylist, a rail-thin woman in an ankle-length leather skirt, appeared within minutes and whisked him away to some back room.  Caroline sat on the uncomfortable velvet couch for what felt like forever until the glass double doors of the lobby flew open and a slightly bedraggled looking young man rushed in.

"You're late," the woman at the desk muttered, not looking up at him. 

"Sorry.  Yeesh," the man whispered, snatching a slip of paper that she held out to him.  "Caroline?"

He turned and spotted her sitting alone on the couch.  "That's me," she said awkwardly.

"Of course it is, you're the only one here."  The man smiled, not unkindly, and held his hand out for her to take.  Caroline wasn't big on judging books on their covers, but something about the way he spoke, shook her hand, and the fact that he was a stylist for a living all seemed to indicate that he was probably completely flaming.  Then again, she'd thought the same about JC when they'd first met, so maybe her gaydar was just off.

As it turned out, her stylist (who introduced himself as Timothy) showed his true colors almost instantly.

"I heard one of the NSYNC guys is here today," he stage whispered as Caroline followed him down a hallway.  "I hope I can sneak a peek...maybe it's Lance, I need a date something fierce."

Caroline couldn't help but smile.  "Actually, it's JC."

Timothy gasped, ushering Caroline into an office door.  "Shut. Up.  How do you know?  What did you see?"

The room was small and sparsely decorated with a plush leather couch and a matching armchair.  A small bookcase crammed full of fashion magazines was in the corner, and a narrow desk was situated beneath a window that looked out onto the neighboring building.  Some amateur abstract art was framed on the crimson painted walls.

"Have a seat," Timothy suggested, shrugging out of his khaki trench coat.  "Tell me everything."

Caroline wondered if it was safe to admit who she was, then figured that he'd probably find out anyway.

"Actually, I'm JC's assistant."

Timothy's eyes nearly popped out of his head.  "Oh, no you are not.  Are you?"

"I am."

Timothy slid into the armchair, his intense gaze still pinning her.  "Girl.  Hook me up.  Is he gay?"

Caroline laughed out loud.  "No, definitely not.  Sorry."

Timothy wasn't deterred.  "Maybe he can get me Lance's number?"

Caroline shrugged.  "Maybe."

After Timothy talked a little bit longer about how hot JC was (and Lance and Joey and Justin, for that matter, but "not the other one, too old for me"), he finally paused to glance at his watch.

"Damn, we better get down to business."  He pulled a notepad and pen out of his messenger bag.  "Okay.  Tell me about this event."

Caroline gave Timothy all of the details that she knew (mostly via Kevin), while he took notes furiously.

"Now tell me how you want to look," he said when she was finished, looking up at her with a sparkle in his eye.  Caroline blanched.

"Um.  I don't...really know," she admitted.  "I don't get dressed up very often."

"Oh, girl."  Timothy flipped his notepad shut.  "Don't worry.  We'll take care of you."

Caroline realized quickly that she was fairly in over her head.  Timothy was using words like a-line, sheath, maxi - terms that she had never heard in relation to fashion before.  He took her measurements, gushed about her figure ("curves in all the right places, and look at those legs!"), and asked about how she planned on wearing her hair.

"Probably...like this," Caroline said, lifting the length of it over one shoulder and shrugging.  Timothy chewed on his bottom lip.

"Okay.  That's your prerogative, sweetheart."  He scribbled down her measurements in his notepad and slipped it in his pocket.  "Now for the fun part."

Timothy led her down the hall into another room, this one larger and filled with racks upon racks of dresses.  Caroline had never seen so much expensive clothing in one place in her life, and she couldn't help but stare.

"Amazing, isn't it?" Timothy caught her admiring a black dress made almost completely out of feathers.  "It's Garavani.  Not even released to the public yet."

"Wow."  Caroline didn't know who Garavani was, but she had to admit that the dress was spectacular.  Although she hoped Timothy didn't try to put her in it - it was a little too flashy for her.

Thankfully, Timothy waved the dress away.  "I'm thinking more along these lines for you."

He showed her to a rack of much more conservative gowns, all floor-length.  "Black tie is always floor length, no matter what anyone tries to tell you," he informed her.  "I dare anyone to show up wearing a cocktail dress to a presidential ball and see if they don't throw you out on your tacky ass."

Caroline decided to take his word for it. 

"Any of these stand out to you?" he asked.

To Caroline, they all looked black and expensive, and that was about it.  But she didn't want to offend the obviously excited Timothy.  "I...love them all."

Timothy clasped his hands together over his heart.  "Me too!  Let's start with Stella.  McCartney, that is."

As it turned out, Timothy only made her try on about three dresses from the rack before he found "the one".

"This is it," he exclaimed, pulling up the zipper as Caroline turned towards the full-length mirror propped against the wall.  "Oh, this is most definitely it."

Caroline took a look at her reflection and tried to decide if she felt the same.  The dress was long and black, of course, but it was also form-fitting and hugged just about every curve she owned.  The neckline plunged about three inches further than what she was comfortable with.  But even Caroline had to admit that she looked...

"Gorgeous," Timothy stage-whispered.  "What do you think?"  Caroline smoothed her hands over the silk clinging to her hips. 

"I like it," she admitted.  "A lot."

"Damn straight you do."  Timothy stepped up behind her to pull and smooth the dress in various places.  "I don't even think we'll have to alter anything.  It's like this dress was made for you...Alexander McQueen does it again."

He began to suggest different ways that she could wear her hair, and the longer Caroline looked at herself in the mirror, the more she believed that she could pull this off.  She'd never been to a black tie event in her life, but it was possible that she was actually starting to get excited

Someone knocked on the door and swung it open almost immediately.  Timothy groaned in frustration.

"Maya, I'm with a client," he hissed at the woman who appeared in the doorway.  Caroline recognized her in the mirror as the stylist JC had disappeared with earlier.

"Well my client is waiting on your client," Maya shot back, crossing her long arms over her waist.  "How much longer?"

Caroline stepped off the small pedestal and turned around.  She'd almost forgotten completely about JC, and she opened her mouth to assure the annoyed-looking Maya that they were finished, when the man himself appeared in the doorway next to the stylist.

Three things happened at once.  Timothy gasped, startled by the sudden appearance of JC.  Maya shot him a warning glare and held her finger to her lips in attempt to shut him up.  And JC ignored both of them, his gaze locked on Caroline.  She swallowed dryly as JC looked her up and down, not lewdly, but in a way that suggested that he was floored by the way that she looked. 

And for about seven seconds, they were the only two people in the room.

Suddenly embarrassed by his stare, Caroline clutched the long skirt of the dress in her hands.  "I just...need to get changed," she said, breaking the tense silence.  Her words seemed to snap Timothy into action, and he fumbled for the doorknob. 

"Be out in a minute," he sang, shutting the door in JC's still-staring face.  He crossed the room towards Caroline, his eyes wide.

"Holy shit, he looks about fifteen times better than I remember," he gushed, turning Caroline around and pulling at the zipper of the dress.  "What a beautiful man.  Lucky you."

Caroline felt the heat in her cheeks intensify.  "Why?  He's just my boss."

"He's got it bad," Timothy insisted.  "Did you see the way he was looking at you?"

Caroline cleared her throat and tried not to stutter as she spoke.  "He...he was probably just surprised to see me looking so dressed up.  I'm not...I don't..."

"Mm," Timothy murmured, helping her step out of the dress carefully.  "Sweetie, I know a man who's smitten when I see it.  He's into you."

Shaking her head, Caroline tried to sound assertive as she said, "No...definitely not."

Timothy didn't say anything more, but he had a knowing little smirk on his face as he put the dress into a garment bag. 

Once Caroline was changed back into her own clothes (which felt disappointingly basic against her skin compared to the luxury of the dress she'd just worn), she thanked Timothy and allowed him to walk her back out to the lobby.  JC sat on the couch again, drumming his fingers on his knee and staring off into space.  Timothy made a show of checking him out again before ushering Caroline in his direction.

"Hey," she said, holding the garment bag close to her body.  JC looked up at her, startled. 

"Oh.  Hey.  All done?"

"Yep."

The walk back to the car was silent, almost uncomfortably so.

Caroline went automatically to the driver's seat, and JC didn't argue, but instead slouched in the passenger seat with his chin in his hand as he stared out the window.  Feeling awkward about their semi-moment (she couldn't quite convince herself that it qualified as a "moment", or maybe she didn't want to), Caroline didn't try to coerce him into conversation.  Though it was past lunchtime and she was starving, she didn't try to suggest they stop for food, either.

When they arrived back at the Chasez house, Caroline had barely managed to shut the car off before JC got out and headed up the driveway for the front door.  She sighed and retrieved both her dress and JC's tux from the backseat and lugged them inside.  Tyler was sitting at the bottom of the stairs when she entered, tying a pair of running shoes onto his feet.  A soccer ball at on the step next to him.

"Hey Caroline," he greeted.  "You ever play soccer?"

Caroline shut the door behind her and frowned.  "Um, maybe in like...elementary school.  Why?"

"I was just about to head outside and kick the ball around for a bit," Tyler replied.  "More fun with two, you wanna join?"

Caroline's full morning had already gotten to her, and she was still more than a little hungover. 

"No, thanks."

"Come on."  Tyler stood up, blocking her way up the stairs.  "It'll be fun."

"I don't feel very good, Tyler," Caroline admitted, trying to edge around him with her garment bags in tow.  "Maybe later."

"Exercise makes everyone feel better," Tyler reminded, tossing the ball from hand to hand.  "Go change and meet me out back."

He was gone before Caroline could argue further. Rolling her eyes, she stomped up the stairs.  JC's bedroom door was closed, so she hung his tux on the doorknob without knocking before retreating into her own room.  All she really wanted was a shower, something to eat, and maybe some strong black coffee, but Tyler apparently wasn't taking no for an answer.  Certain that he would track her down if she didn't show, Caroline hung up her dress and changed into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt before heading back downstairs.

The backyard was just about as big in person as it seemed from afar, lined with tall trees for privacy.  It sloped down slightly from the house to end in a nice plateau, perfect for playing soccer or volleyball or virtually any other kind of organized sport.  Tyler had set up two foldable goal nets on either side of the yard, and he was practicing his dribbling in the center of the grass.

"Hey," he greeted when she appeared.  "Ready to get your butt kicked?"

Caroline rubbed her forehead.  "Not really, but apparently I don't have a choice."

Tyler just grinned and pointed towards the goal behind her.  "You."  He gestured towards the opposite side.  "Me.  Cool?"

Caroline sighed.  "Yeah."

Tyler positioned the ball in the center of the field and backed up a few steps.  "I'll give you the first run."

Placing her hands on her hips, Caroline surveyed the field for a few moments.  She really, honestly hadn't kicked a soccer ball in over a decade, but she didn't really care either.  She took the remaining steps towards the ball, and gave it a hefty kick towards the goal.  Tyler blocked it easily, and promptly flipped the play, dribbling past Caroline and kicking the ball right into her goal.

"Hey," Caroline complained.  "You went past me."

"You have to man your goal," Tyler pointed out.  "This is two-on-two.  You're the forward and the goalie."  He retrieved the ball and kicked it back towards Caroline.  She stopped it with her foot, crossing her arms over her waist.

"I know that."

"Alright then."  Tyler repositioned himself in front of his goal, bent forward slightly, anticipating her offense.  "Let's call that a practice scrimmage.  Now, we play for points."

An odd welling up of competition surprised Caroline, and this time, she adapted a different tactic, attempting to fake Tyler out with a quick jab to the left.  He was too fast for her, and blocked the trick shot easily, starting to move around her.  Caroline quickly retreated to her goal, but Tyler was two steps ahead.  He scored easily once more, and now Caroline was really pissed.

"Okay.  Okay, let's go," she muttered, shuffling the ball out of the net.  "It's on."

Eighteen points later, twelve of them belonged to Tyler, and only six were Caroline's.  But she'd worked hard for those six points, and her shorts were covered in grass and mud stains from the many times she'd tripped and slid across the lawn.  She'd just jumped to block a high shot and landed hard on her butt, and Tyler suggested a time-out.

"You okay?" he asked, crouching down next to her when she didn't get up right away.  Caroline's tailbone ached, but she was pleased to see that Tyler had finally broken a sweat.

"I'm fine."  She remained sitting, however, and leaned back on her hands to take a breather. 

"Water?" he suggested, motioning towards a small cooler on the far side of the yard that Caroline hadn't noticed before.  She nodded, and Tyler returned with two cold bottles of water in his hands.  He handed her one and sat down on the grass next to her. 

"So how was the stylist this morning?" he asked after drinking half of his water.  Caroline shrugged.

She pictured the way JC had looked at her, the way his gaze had made her feel.  Tyler was watching her, however, and it was almost like he could read her thoughts.  Caroline shook her head to clear the memory.

"Fine."

Tyler picked up the soccer ball, resting nearby, and rolled it on the grass between his hands.  "You didn't make out with JC, did you?"

Caroline gasped, startled.  "No!"

"Because last night you said-"

"I know what I said," Caroline interrupted.  "I was drunk, Tyler."

"Right, but you know what they say about getting drunk," Tyler said.  When Caroline stared at him blankly, he continued.  "It lowers your inhibitions.  Your true desires surface.  Maybe things that you've tried to smother or resist."

Caroline tried to roll her eyes, but nerves had her hands shaking.  She tucked them underneath her so Tyler wouldn't see.  "Whatever."

"I'm serious," Tyler said.  "Josh is my brother, Caroline, he's one of my best friends.  I can read him pretty clearly."

"So?"

"He likes you."

Caroline felt a hot flush cover her face and neck for what felt like the fifteenth time that day.  "He does not.  What is this, high school?"

"He wants more from you, and he feels guilty because you broke up with your boyfriend," Tyler continued, as if he hadn't even heard her.  "He thinks it's his fault, but he can't deny that he's attracted to you, either."

Hearing all of this, though she'd suspected it within her subconscious for long enough, was too much for Caroline to take.  She'd been avoiding these thoughts for a reason, and now JC's little brother was sitting her down for a heart to heart?  To make her face her feelings?

No.  No way.

"I can't hear this right now."  Caroline stood up, brushing off the seat of her shorts.  "I'm starving, and I'm hungover, and I'm just...I'm not..."

"Not ready?" Tyler finished softly.  Caroline glared down at him.

"No, just..."  She shook her head.  "Forget it."

Caroline stormed back up the slope of the lawn, seething.  She didn't look to see if Tyler was following, she didn't care.  Why the hell was she here, in the middle of nowhere Maryland, at JC's parents house?  What the hell was she doing?  She belonged back in LA, with Brandon.  No job was worth this.

Thankfully, she didn't run into JC on her return upstairs, and the bathroom was mercifully unoccupied.  She stripped off her dirty, sweaty clothes and did her best to wash away the events of the day under the hot spray of the shower.  She lost track of how long she stayed in there, but once the water began to run cool, Caroline reluctantly got out. 

Her stomach was still painfully empty, but the last thing she wanted to do was go downstairs and face the prospect of running into JC or any member of his family.  She locked herself in the guest room, drew the curtains until the room was as dark as it would be, and climbed onto the bed.  Her initial intention was to fall fast asleep and tune out the world completely, but the blinking blue light of her laptop caught her eye, and she pulled it off the nightstand.  She disregarded her work email, going straight for her personal account.

The inbox was frustratingly blank, and Caroline refreshed the page three times, her throat growing tighter with each click.  Finally giving up, she closed the computer and shoved it aside, pulling the quilt at the foot of the bed up to cover her face as tears began to fall. 

End Notes:
If you're interested (which you should be), here's the link to Tony's cover of "Can't Make You Love Me"...fair warning, it may actually make you cry: http://youtu.be/KGJa9FfE9IU
chapter 18 by rebeccan
Author's Notes:
Note: Your reviews this last chapter seriously made my day! I'm glad people still care about this story...the end is near but I have quite a few things in store! Keep letting me know what you love or hate, like or dislike!

Fortunately for Caroline, her extended Thursday nap seemed to help erase most of her bad mood.  JC had apparently moved on, anyway, and greeted her Friday morning at breakfast much like he would had she just arrived at his home back in LA.

"One of the buttons on my tux shirt is loose," he announced, as soon as she entered the kitchen.  "I need you to fix it."

"Joshua," Karen admonished from the sink.  "Let the girl get something to eat first."

"You know how to sew a button on, lazy ass," Tyler pointed out from the breakfast nook. 

"Would you two chill?" JC suggested.  "Caroline works for me.  She's an employee, and she's here for the express reason to sew my button on." 

Caroline couldn't help but notice that it sounded like JC was trying to convince himself more than anyone else.

Karen turned the water in the sink off and turned to stare wide-eyed at her son's back.  Before she could say anything, Caroline interjected.

"He's right."  She poured a glass of orange juice from the carafe sitting on the island and took a sip.  "I'll go do that right now."

JC looked only slightly sheepish.  "You don't have to do it right away.  Just...at some point."

"No, I can do it now," Caroline insisted, setting her juice glass to the side.  Karen shook her head at JC with a sigh. 

"Can I fix you something to eat when you get back, Caroline?"

"Just some toast, please," she replied over her shoulder before heading upstairs. 

JC's tux, still in its garment bag, hung on a hook on the back of his bedroom door.  After retrieving the small sewing kit she had started keeping in her purse for emergencies such as these, Caroline sat down on the edge of the double bed in JC's childhood bedroom to get to work.  She did her best not to look around the room in any kind of curiosity, though she couldn't help but notice that it didn't have any definitive theme as most boys rooms did.  The walls were painted light blue, the comforter on the bed was a dark navy plaid, the furniture was dark wood.  There were a few framed photos and old trinkets placed here and there around the room, but Caroline did her best to ignore them, focusing instead on the button.

Once her job was done, she re-assembled the tux carefully on the hanger and zipped the garment bag back up.  She had almost made her way out of the room before something caught her eye - the bookshelf near the door housed a rather large trophy, with a blue ribbon hanging from it.  A framed photo nearby seemed to go along with it, and she couldn't help but peer closer.  The inscription on the trophy told her that it was a first-place award for a dance competition, and the picture showed JC with several other peers, dressed in hilarious green and white uniforms.  Caroline couldn't stop herself from smiling, and another frame nearby caught her eye - it was a posed photo of a slightly older JC, maybe in his early teens.  He was giving the camera something between a knowing smirk and a shy grin, and even then, he was handsome, extremely so.

The thought caught Caroline by surprise, and she tried to suppress it, but she didn't have the energy.  Yes, JC was a handsome guy.  And maybe she was attracted to him.  But that didn't mean she had to act on it.

The sewing kit in her hands suddenly felt heavy - he was, after all, her boss.  Attraction or not.

The event in DC didn't commence until seven, but the rest of the day proved to be an extreme test for Caroline.  She'd barely choked down her toast before JC had a new task for her - and once that one was completed, he came up with something else.  It was bordering on ridiculous, but Caroline didn't complain.  Somewhere deep down, she saw what JC was doing - giving her menial tasks, reminding himself that she worked for him.  As such, Caroline kept her mouth shut and did everything he asked of her without argument or question.

The one person who didn't seem to get JC's attitude was his mother.  She didn't miss an opportunity all day to berate him for his treatment of Caroline.

"I can do that," she'd insist when JC asked Caroline to bring him a bottle of water.  "Let me, Joshua," she'd plead.  Each time, JC waved her away.

"It's Caroline's job," he'd say, and Karen would wring her hands and look helpless.  Caroline could tell that she was the type of mother that wanted to bend over backwards for her children, especially now that they were grown and home visiting, and part of her felt bad for taking away the pleasure.  But keeping busy was good for her, too...the more annoyed she got with JC, the better for her conscience.

In fact, she was so caught up in "doing her job" that she didn't even notice the time.  She was tying JC's tie for him while he texted away on his Blackberry when Tyler stuck his head in the open bedroom door.

"Caroline, don't you have to get dressed, too?" Tyler reminded, looking pointedly at her jeans and t-shirt.  "Or are you going like that?"

Caroline shot her watch a quick glance.  It was almost 6:00.  "Oh, shit."

She dropped JC's half-done tie and he frowned at her.  "You could at least finish it."

Caroline ignored him  for the first time all day as she hurried across the hall to her room.  Her dress was hanging where she'd left it on the back of the door and she unzipped the garment bag in a hurry.  A quick glance at the dress inside reminded her that this was, indeed, a black tie event, and maybe a shower was in order.

After the quickest shower of her life and even quicker work with the blow dryer, Caroline barely had time to slap on some makeup before she hurried back to her room to shimmy into her dress.  Try as she might, however, she couldn't quite get the zipper up on her own, and she was struggling to reach it when JC knocked obnoxiously on her door.

"Are you ready yet?  The car service will be here in two minutes."

Caroline flung open the door, frustrated.  JC was on the other side, his tie tied and his arms crossed impatiently over his chest.  "Can you help me out, please?"

She turned around, pulling her hair out of the way so the unfinished zipper was accessible.  She watched the seconds tick by on her watch as she waited for JC to pull it up.  A total of six seconds passed before he cleared his throat softly and stepped into the room. 

Caroline was still staring hard at her watch, wondering if she would be able to do anything with her hair in a minute and 45 seconds, when JC laid his hand on the curve of her hip.  Caroline froze, holding her breath.  She felt his other hand beginning to pull up the zipper, and she wondered when the last time was that anyone had touched her this intimately.  Somehow, she could only recall JC's hand on her hair at the amusement park, helping her with her coat at the club, holding her while she cried in the hospital waiting room.  Somehow, a single memory of Brandon was nowhere to be found.

JC let go of her abruptly, and Caroline felt his breath on the back of her neck for less than a second as he said, "done," and stepped back.  "Now are you ready?"

Caroline blinked a couple times, willing herself into action.  "Y-yeah.  Um.  My shoes."

As it turned out, the car service was running late, and Caroline had just enough time to pin her hair up in a smooth chignon (Timothy the stylist had casually recommended an up-do to go with the vintage silhouette of the dress) before the doorbell rang.

Caroline had a slight prom moment as she descended the stairs, Karen and Tyler both waiting at the bottom and looking up at her. 

"Caroline, you look beautiful," Karen said, clutching her hands to her chest.  Tyler nodded his agreement, looking thoughtful.  "Oh, Josh, let me get my camera."

"Mom, no," JC barked as she hurried down the hall.  Caroline had to admit that he looked pretty impressive himself in his well-fitting, all black tux.  It was potentially the most normal that she had ever seen him look, sans any of the funky patterns and trends that he was prone to.  "Come on, before she gets back."

JC tugged on Caroline's elbow, opening the front door and ushering her outside.  Tyler stood in the doorway, waving.  "Have fun," he called.  "Don't get too drunk."

His statement was good natured, but Caroline noted the undertone of warning in it - most likely directed solely at her.  The driver of the black limo waiting at the curb tipped his hat at Caroline as she slid inside, and she didn't miss the wink he gave her, either.

JC alternated between tapping his fingers on his knee and tapping on his Blackberry during the half-hour drive back down to DC.  Caroline checked her own email for last minute reminders from Kevin, and an overview of the night's schedule.  She felt herself begin to shift into business mode, which both calmed and focused her.  In time, she forgot all about JC's hand on her hip, his breath on her neck.  Now it was time to get serious.

The red carpet was just as insane as Caroline expected it to be, but she forced herself to function efficiently, leading JC from reporter to reporter, timing every interaction.  She made sure that he stepped back and posed and smiled for the hundreds of flashing cameras pointed in his direction, but only for a few minutes, max, before she motioned him to move on.  When he patted his pockets, looking for gum, she pulled out a stick from her clutch.  When he sneezed, she pulled out a tissue.  When a reporter got too pushy on the NSYNC issue, she pulled him onto the next one in line.

Hectic as it was, they were inside by eight, and promptly treated to a hefty show of security.  Men in  black suits and earpieces scanned them with metal detectors and demanded to see photo ID.  As Caroline was pulling out her driver's license, someone tapped her shoulder.

"Ma'am."  A security guard motioned her to the side, away from JC.  "Can you open your bag, please?"

"They checked it at the front," she said, but the man just stared at her expectantly.  She opened up the small clutch and allowed him to poke through its meager contents.  Suddenly, JC was at her side.

"What's the problem?" he asked.  The guard glanced at him.

"Just routine check."

"They already did the routine check over there," JC pointed out.  "What could they have possibly missed?"

The security guard's jaw tensed.  "Sir, if you're going to cause a problem..."

"He's not causing a problem," Caroline said before JC could respond.  "It's fine."

But JC's frown only deepened as the guard took his sweet time looking over every item in Caroline's purse.  Only a few seconds had passed before he sighed heavily. 

"Seriously.  What could be hiding in there?" he muttered drily.  Caroline elbowed him, and the guard raised an eyebrow before handing back the purse, holding up Caroline's pack of gum in his free hand.

"No food allowed."

JC laughed incredulously.  "Oh, come on, buddy.  It's gum."

Caroline clutched JC's elbow, pushing him away from the un-amused guard.  "It's fine.

By the time they finally made it through security into the lavishly decorated banquet hall (complete with marble floors and chandeliers that appeared to made of pure diamonds), Caroline needed a drink something fierce.  She spotted the bar across the room and turned to JC to ask if he wanted anything, but she didn't even have the chance before a rotund man blocked her path, shaking JC's hand vigorously.

"JC, my man.  Good to see you, good to see you."  The man had a booming voice and a face dotted with perspiration, and Caroline learned in a few minutes that he was Alfred Calhoun, senior VP of marketing and promotions with Sony.  But she didn't need to remember his name for long, because someone else quickly stepped up to take his place.  And after them, someone else, and then someone else, each person more important looking than the last.

And so the night went, Caroline regulating herself to an unassuming presence at JC's side as he talked, crossed the room to be introduced to another cluster of important people, and talked some more.  Every so often, she tapped his arm to see if he needed anything, but he shook his head every time.  He even waved away the man that appeared with glasses of champagne on a tray.

As for Caroline, she was starving.  Men in white coats traversed the room holding shining platters of finger food, but nothing more substantial than that.  She didn't want to eat anything lest she knew what was in it, so she suffered in silence for what felt like hours.  Finally, as JC talked up a couple of executives from Warner Brothers, Caroline eyed the bar a few feet away.  There was an open spot on the far side, and JC didn't really need her anyway.

She broke away, glancing over her shoulder to see if JC noticed, but he didn't even look in her direction.  Caroline sat down at the bar with a heavy sigh of relief, and spotted a silver bowl of nuts nearby.  She looked around to make sure no one was watching, and pulled it over, taking out a heaping handful.

"Good evening."  The tuxedo-clad man behind the bar set a napkin down in front of her with a smile.  "What can I get you, madam?"

Caroline had never in her life been called "madam", and she suppressed a smile.  "Um.  What do you recommend?"

Asking his opinion seemed somehow fancier than just ordering a beer, and the bartender nodded slightly, picking up a tall glass bottle.  "I have a Macallan Fine & Rare from 1939.  Highly recommended."

Caroline's eyes widened.  She'd only bartended for about a year to stay afloat in college, but the experience had afforded her enough knowledge about alcohol to know that the bottle in question had to be worth at least ten grand.  "That...sounds perfect.  Neat, please."

The scotch was like fire down the back of her throat, but it was smooth and delicious at the same time.  Caroline thanked her lucky stars that it was an open bar before ordering another.

She was halfway through her second glass (and the bowl of nuts) when she remembered Tyler's warning, and her hangover from the day before.  Vowing to take it easy, Caroline motioned away the bartender when he appeared to give her a refill.

"This is good for now, thank you," she said, and he nodded politely. 

"My name is Brandon, if you need anything else," he said before moving onto the next patron.  Caroline stared at his back as he worked, thrown for a loop at the sound of the name alone.  She picked up her glass blindly and took a gulp, choking a little bit on the amber liquid.  Of course, JC chose that moment to walk up.

"You okay?"  He took the barstool next to hers as Caroline nodded and wiped her mouth with a napkin.  "I wondered where you disappeared to.  I suppose I should have guessed."

"I needed a drink," Caroline pointed out.  "How do you handle this?"

"What?"  Caroline motioned around to the busy room around them, and JC shrugged.  "Eh.  Old hat."

Brandon the bartender reappeared to take JC's order, and Caroline quirked an eyebrow when he requested a Pellegrino.  "It's better to be sober in these sort of situations," JC explained, pouring the sparkling water into a lowball glass.  "Generally speaking."

"How come you don't have that kind of attitude when Rob is around?"

"Because Rob treats every event like a White House gala," JC said.  "And he expects me to as well."

Caroline shrugged and didn't point out that Rob's job, technically, was to encourage JC to care about publicity stunts such as this one.  "Well, when you're on, you're on.  I'm impressed."  She raised her glass in JC's direction and he clinked his against hers amicably.

"I'm starting to suspect you have a problem with alcohol," JC said when she motioned the bartender over to top off her scotch.  He sounded like he was only half-kidding, but Caroline shrugged it off. 

"Only since I've been working for you."  When JC quirked his eyebrow, she clarified, "You sorta run in the kinds of circles that always seem to have free booze."

"Alright," JC allowed.  "But it can't be all my fault.  Didn't Brandon's band play primarily in bars?"

Caroline's wince must have been overly noticeable because JC looked down at his hands.  "Sorry."

"No, it's fine."  Pushing her glass aside for the moment, Caroline rested her chin in her hand.  "It...it was time for us to be over."

It was the first time that Caroline had acknowledged a thought like that out loud, and it felt oddly freeing.  JC watched her curiously as she elaborated.  "I mean, things hadn't been...things were hard.  So..." She sighed and resisted the urge to pick up her glass again.  "So maybe...it was meant to be."

Instead of questioning her, JC nodded slowly, staring down at the bar.  "Maybe it was."

Caroline picked the last nut out of the bowl and tossed it in her mouth.  "Then why does it hurt so bad?" She paused as a wave of fresh pain choked her up for a second.  "Jesus."

JC angled his body towards her on the barstool, his knee brushing hers.  "Breaking up always hurts, honey," he said.  "It's gonna take time."

Caroline thought back to all the times she had heard JC use that nickname with women.  He seemed to call every female that, from teenage girls at yogurt shops to ladies he was trying to woo.  Caroline had never really thought about it before, but she looked at their knees touching and realized that it was an endearment in the purest sense - it was never creepy or inappropriate.  It was just...JC.

"Hey."  JC's hand made its way into Caroline's field of vision, resting lightly on her leg.  "You're not gonna cry on me, are you?"

Caroline shook her head even as a couple tears spilled out.  JC reached for her purse, pulling out the pack of travel tissues inside.  Instead of handing it to her, he took her chin gently in his hand and dried the tear streaks on her cheeks carefully.  The heat of his touch made Caroline forget why she had even been crying in the first place. 

"Don't wanna wreck that pretty face."  JC set the tissue aside and took her hand in his, rubbing the back of it like he had at the hospital after her mom's heart attack.  Caroline nodded slowly and tried to swallow as tingles materialized under her skin, running up her bare arms and creating goosebumps in their wake.

"You know what will make you feel better?" JC said a few seconds later.  He let go of her hand and reached for an abandoned tray that a waiter had set down during a refill behind the bar.  "Food."

"I can't," Caroline said, shaking her head.  "Unless you want to ask somebody for ingredient lists."

"I think I can figure these out."  JC picked up a toothpick-skewered piece of something wrapped in bacon.  "Filet, probably."  He popped it in his mouth and nodded.  "Yep.  A little cold, but pretty good."

Caroline watched as he sampled a couple more bite-size hors d'oeuvres, her empty stomach growling painfully.  The nuts had done little to nothing to satisfy her hunger.  "Glad you're enjoying yourself."

She stared at the empty nut bowl bitterly and didn't notice when JC flagged down another waiter, who came over with a fresh tray.  Caroline raised her eyebrows when JC set one of the bacon-wrapped steak chunks down on her napkin.  "What are you..."

"Try it," JC urged, leaning close.  "Come on, I know you're starving."

"Yeah, but..." She trailed off, shaking her head slowly.  "I'm not that desperate."

Caroline watched nervously as JC slid off his barstool and moved even closer to her.  "It's just one tiny little bite.  It won't hurt anything.  And it tastes so good."  The last part was murmured close to her ear, and Caroline held her breath.

 "But..." She paused to swallow again, taken aback by the closeness of JC, feeling the heat of his body up against the thin material of her dress.  "What if I like it?"

JC shrugged one shoulder, standing fully behind her at this point, his chest against her shoulder blades.  "Then we'll get you some more."

Caroline stared down at the hors d'oeuvre on her napkin, knowing that the miniscule bite of meat was not the true heart of the matter.  She couldn't help but lean back against JC a little bit, enjoying the feel of even more of him pressed up against her.  "I don't know if this is very smart."

JC positioned his mouth right next to her ear, his breath stirring the loose tendrils of hair close to her face.  "Maybe it's time for you to do something stupid, then." 

The party around them seemed to fall away, and they could have been all alone in that lavish banquet hall for all Caroline knew.  She picked up the toothpick, pressing her fingertip against the sharp end with a sigh.

"Maybe you're right."

Without thinking about the repercussions, and not really caring about JC winning his challenge, or even the fact that she was actually eating meat for the first time in her life, Caroline pulled the steak off of the toothpick and popped it in her mouth.  JC gripped the bar on either side of her body, his arms surrounding her but not making contact.

"Holy shit," he breathed.  Caroline chewed and swallowed, with some difficulty, barely noticing the taste of what she had just put in her mouth.

"I can't believe you just did that."  JC chuckled a little bit and took a half-step back.  Caroline twisted on her barstool to face him.  "How was it?"

Caroline picked up her glass of scotch and took a sip before answering.  "It was great."

Then she leaned forward and pressed her lips against JC's.

For the first two seconds, he didn't react, and Caroline could feel mental panic start.  Was she really about to get rejected after all this...whatever it was?  Before she could pull back, JC finally moved into action.  He stepped closer and reached for her hips, his grip so tight that it was almost painful, but Caroline was too busy kissing him to notice.  JC's tongue pushed past her lips and she heard herself whimper softly as one of his hands snaked around her lower back, into the dip created by her dress and against her bare skin.

Suddenly, JC pulled back, moving his hands from her hips to her shoulders.

"We can't," he said, glancing around the room.  Caroline stared, dumbstruck.  He wasn't going to play the boss card, was he?  "Not here."

His elaborated prompted Caroline to look around the busy hall.  No one appeared to be paying them any attention, but then again, no one had appeared to be paying attention when they had gotten yogurt after the movie a few weeks ago, either.

"I think we should go."  JC stepped back, re-fastening the button on the jacket of his tux and clearing his throat.  "Let's meet at the coat check in five minutes."

Caroline didn't have time to question why he needed five minutes before JC disappeared.  She turned back to the bar and tossed back the rest of her scotch; she was suddenly parched.  With shaking hands, she drained JC's Pellegrino as well.

"Can I interest you in anything else, miss?"  The bartender had reappeared suddenly, but Caroline didn't even spare him a glance.  "Another Macallan?"

Caroline was tempted to toss back a fourth glass, but she already felt drunk from the rush of finally, finally kissing JC.  She waved him away.  "No, thank you."

The bartender nodded and took away both empty glasses before disappearing once more.  Caroline stared down at the polished wood of the bar and took a moment to take in her surroundings for what felt like the first time all night.  The chandeliers in the room threw fractions of sparkling light all over, and some familiar song was playing in the background.  Caroline had never really been into R&B, but the smooth voice of Marvin Gaye was unmistakable.

Finally, she stood on shaky legs, and did her best to make her way across the room without stumbling.  The crowd paid little to no attention to her, except for a stray waiter when she was almost to the doors that led to the foyer.

"Champagne, miss?"  He waved a tray temptingly in her direction, and Caroline threw caution to the wind and grabbed a glass.  She tossed it back in two gulps as she made her way down the red carpeted stairs towards the entryway and coat check. 

The security had calmed down quite a bit as it was late enough for everyone to have arrived, but too early for anyone to leave.  Guards were still milling around, sitting and talking to each other or posted in various places around the room.  Caroline was passing a hallway on her way to the coat check when someone grabbed her elbow.

She opened her mouth to protest, but the alcohol slowed her reaction time, and before she knew it, she was up against a wall, trapped.  She only had mere seconds to realize that JC was her captor before his lips descended on hers once again.

Caroline moaned into his mouth, half from surprise and half from pure desire, as he pressed her into the wall with his lower body.  No doubt about it, JC was an amazing kisser.  He took his time with her, his tongue rubbing against hers languidly, seductively (as if she actually needed seducing), but at the same time, he took control in an undoubtedly masculine way.  It sent shivers down Caroline's spine and rendered her useless as she desperately clutched the lapels of his jacket, trying to hold on.

They kissed in that dark hallway for what felt like days before JC pulled back, slowly this time.  He reached up to cradle her face in his hands, thumb tracing her jawline.

"Caroline," he said, his voice deep, whether it was from lust or lack of use, she wasn't sure.  "You don't really want this."

It took a moment for his words to sink in and Caroline blinked.

"What?"

"You're drunk," JC continued.  One hand trailed down to her collarbone lightly before dropping away.  "I'm sorry."

"No...no, I'm not drunk," Caroline said, frantic.  "I mean, I drank a little but I'm not...JC, I'm not drunk."

He started to step back, but she grabbed his hands in hers.  "I do want this."

JC squeezed her hands before pulling loose from her grip and glancing at his watch.  "I think it's time to call it a night.  I'll call the car service, will you get our coats?"

He slipped out of the hallway quickly, and Caroline was left staring at the blank wall across from where she stood.  What the hell had just happened?  Had he changed his mind?  He hadn't kissed her like he'd changed his mind, he'd kissed her like he wanted more.

Caroline found a ladies room further down the hall and slipped inside to lean against the sink and catch her breath.  She patted some cold water on her face and stared at herself in the mirror.  The skin below her collarbone was flushed and she mentally recalled JC's hands on her.  She did want more, she'd wanted more for awhile now, and god it felt good to admit that finally, even if it was only to herself. 

The longer Caroline stared at her reflection in the mirror, the more the gears turned in her head.  She was an adult, right?  And adults got what they wanted.  She'd learned enough about that from majoring in business economics and studying under some of the nation's most respected CEOs and VPs - a person didn't get what they wanted in the world by waiting for it to be handed to them.

"Yeah," Caroline murmured, agreeing with her silent thoughts in the empty bathroom.  "Yeah.  I want this.  So I'm...I'm gonna do it."

Her voice echoed in the tiled room as the door swung open.  Caroline froze, but it was just an older lady dressed in a stuffy beaded gown.  She gave Caroline a strange look before disappearing into one of the stalls.  Caroline took one last glance at herself, smoothing down the bodice of her dress and trying to get psyched.

To aid in her efforts, an abandoned tray of champagne was waiting for her near the coat check.  Caroline drank one glass before handing the girl at the desk her coat tag, and when said girl disappeared to locate the coats, she drank another. 

By the time she had her coat on, JC's over her arm, and had made it back through security and outside the building, it was fair to say that she was a bit unsteady on her feet.  JC was waiting at the bottom of the stairs, his phone to his ear.  The red carpet had been rolled up, the photographers were gone (save for a few stragglers), and in the dark, the area looked much less impressive than it had when they'd arrived. 

Caroline took her time on the stairs, holding up the length of her dress and moving slowly.  She was two steps from the bottom when she tripped.  Caroline cringed, bracing herself to hit the pavement hard when someone caught her.

"Jesus.  Caroline, are you okay?"  JC pushed her up to her feet but kept his firm hold on her elbow.  "You could have broken your wrist, don't you know never to stick your arm out like that?"

"Better than my face," Caroline murmured, realizing suddenly that she was much tipsier than she was before.  If JC had thought her drunk inside, she'd really done it now.  "Fuck."

"What?"  JC took a half-step  back, checking her for injury.  "Did you twist something?"

"No, I'm fine."  A camera flashed from somewhere nearby and JC let go of her as suddenly as if she'd burned him. 

A guy holding a video camera appeared to Caroline's right, the bright light aimed directly in JC's face.  "How was the party, JC?"

"It was great."  JC looked down at his phone as he made his way back to the curb, glancing down the darkened street for the limo.  Caroline straightened her dress, trying to act both sober and impassive at the same time.  Thankfully, the cameraman didn't seem interested in her, instead following JC.

"Lots of big names in there tonight?" the guy asked.  Caroline stood a few feet away as JC politely, if not curtly, responded to the man's questions as shortly as possible.  Finally, the limo pulled up and the driver bounded out to get the door for Caroline.  She tried her best to climb in on her own, but she tripped over the length of her dress, and the driver stepped in to grasp her elbow.

"You okay, miss?" he asked.  Inexplicably, Caroline felt tears rise to her eyes for the second time that night, and she shook her head no.

"She's fine."  JC appeared in between Caroline and the driver, brushing off his hold on her arm.  "Just slide in, Caroline."

As unladylike as it was, Caroline dropped to the leather seat and scooted across.  JC held her dress, lest the expensive silk catch on anything, and slid in beside her.  He spoke quietly to the driver before pulling the door closed, leaving them in silence. 

Caroline wiped her face with her hands, no longer caring about smearing her makeup.  JC's thigh was pressed up against hers and he didn't try to move over.  "JC?"

"Yeah."

"I'm a little tipsy," she admitted, "but I'm not...I'm really not drunk." 

JC sighed as the limo pulled away from the curb.  "Alright."

He sounded tired, and Caroline leaned over to try and make eye contact with him.  "I didn't kiss you because I was drunk.  I kissed you because...because I wanted to."

JC only glanced at her before looking back out the window.  "If you say so."

The alcohol in Caroline's system sparked her anger a little quicker than usual.  "What the hell does that mean?  I do say so, because it's true.  I'm telling you how I feel."

JC's gaze shifted over to her again, and he looked utterly unconvinced.  "Okay.  So you kissing me had nothing do with the two glasses of scotch you downed before I walked up?  Or your emotional state after talking about your very recent break up?  Okay, Caroline, if you say so."

She frowned at him, cursing herself for drinking those last two glasses of champagne so quickly.  Her defense was a jumble of words in her head - she didn't know which order they needed to be in to make sense.  JC turned away again, and Caroline's frustration mounted.

Acting purely on instinct at this point, Caroline hiked her dress up to her knees and climbed onto JC's lap.

"Whoa, what..." JC grabbed her waist on instinct when Caroline swayed slightly.  "What are you doing?"

"I'm doing what I want," Caroline said, poking her finger into JC's chest.  "And I know you want it too."

Ignoring the fact that she was both saying and doing things that she would never normally dream of, Caroline took JC's face in her hands and leaned in, praying that he didn't push her away.  Thankfully, he didn't, but he certainly didn't respond in the way that she'd hoped, either.  His hold on her hips was loose, and he didn't do much in the way of kissing her back.

Caroline leaned back slightly, still cradling JC's face in her hands.  He'd actually shaved for once, and his skin was smooth against her fingertips.  "Why are you making yourself feel guilty about this?"

JC sighed, his eyes meeting hers again.  "You're drunk."

"Not that drunk," Caroline reminded.  "And you know this has been a long time coming.  You know, JC."

He pursed his lips and nodded slowly, his grip on her tightening slightly.  Caroline felt the goosebumps raise on her flesh even beneath the layer of her dress.  "I know, but..."

"But?"  Caroline leaned forward and pressed her forehead to his - this wasn't exactly how she'd imagined their first kiss would go, if it ever went at all, and she knew that she'd most likely regret her spontaneous actions the next morning.  But she couldn't help but lose herself in the moment, the smell of JC's cologne and the warmth of him so comforting and right. 

He reached up to push against her shoulders gently so that she would lean back again.  "You still love him," he reminded, his voice soft, not accusatory.  His expression told Caroline that it was something painful to admit.  "I know you do.

She didn't try to deny it.  "It's gonna take time," she whispered, repeating his encouragement from earlier in the night. 

They stared at each other in silence for a long time.  Finally, JC took her chin in his hand and pulled her close, dropping a sweet kiss on her lips.  Caroline savored the contact, trying to move closer, but he just smoothed a stray strand of hair out of her face and wrapped his arms around her.  Sensing the moment for a heated makeout session was long past, Caroline shifted on his lap, resting her head against his chest.  JC didn't try to push her back to her own seat, and instead kept his protective grip on her, his chin resting on the top of her head.

By the time they got back to Bowie, the combination of alcohol in her system and listening to JC's heartbeat had lulled Caroline to sleep.  For the second time that week, JC had to help her up to her room and into bed.  Despite the fact that he knew the dress she was wearing cost more than her car, and the wrinkles in the silk from her sleeping in it would rack up the dry-cleaning fee considerably, he couldn't bring himself to undress her.  Instead, in her semi-conscious state, JC helped her lay down on top of the covers, and pulled the quilt up over her body. 

JC waited until he was certain she was completely asleep before leaving the room, pulling his tie loose as he closed the door softly behind her.  When he turned around, Tyler was across the hallway, hands on his hips.  JC took a step back, startled.

"Christ," JC breathed, closing his eyes.  "Don't do that."

Tyler didn't respond to his brother's jumpiness, his expression stone still.  "What happened?"

JC didn't know what he was referring to, but he didn't intend to give anything up.  "Nothing.  I'm going to bed."

He was halfway to his bedroom door when Tyler spoke up again.  "You're in love with her?"

JC winced, glancing down the hall towards his parents room.  "Fuck, Tyler."

"It's midnight, Josh, they've been asleep for hours," he reminded.  "So are you?"

"I don't know."  JC twisted the doorknob, feeling suddenly exhausted.  He pulled his tie the rest of the way off of his neck.  "If I am, I shouldn't be."

Tyler half-smiled, looking sad.  "Things aren't ever that easy."

JC nodded slowly.  "I know."  He stepped into his childhood bedroom and closed the door behind him, without bothering to say goodnight.

 

End Notes:
PLEASE review!!
chapter 19 by rebeccan

If Caroline thought things would be different after she'd more or less admitted her feelings for JC, both to herself and to him, she was wrong.  The only difference, in fact, was a cold awkwardness that descended over their relationship, both personally and professionally.

The flight back to LA had them suspiciously in separate seats.  JC just shrugged it off as he shoved his carry-on in the overhead bin.  "Must have been some mix up.  It's not a big deal."

Caroline didn't make it into one, but she knew that JC always checked in for flights online the night before.  If their seats had been rearranged, it was by his hand.  She sat next to a snoring businessman for the next five hours, trying hard not to look across the aisle at JC and trying even harder not to admit that her feelings were hurt.

To make matters worse, their arrival at LAX was a rocky one - there had been a problem with the baggage carousels, resulting in an hour delay.  Caroline sat in a hard plastic seat in the terminal to wait it out with the rest of the passengers while JC talked on the phone and paced some fifteen feet away.  He didn't even make eye contact with her.

When they finally had their bags, Caroline didn't know if she should be surprised to find a cab waiting next to the usual car at the arrival gate. 

"I've got to go downtown and meet with Kevin before I head home," JC explained, glancing at his watch as the driver took his bags.  "I didn't want to make you wait.  I'll cover your cab." 

Caroline waved him away as he pulled out his wallet.  "Forget it.  See you Monday."

She got into the back of the cab without looking at JC's face; she didn't want to be humiliated any further by his pity.  She stared out the window on the ride back to her apartment, berating herself for being so stupid.  Why would a guy like JC want anything to do with someone like her?  She worked for him, for God's sake. 

Caroline was trying so hard to focus on how not upset she was as she lugged her suitcase up the stairs that she more or less tuned out the rest of her surroundings.  Thus, when she got to the landing and found Brandon standing in front of her, she gasped and almost fell backwards down the stairs.

"Whoa."  Brandon reached out to grab her wrist and pull her back to a steady position.  "You should be more careful in those shoes."  He nodded at her stilettos and she swallowed, hard.

"Uh, yeah.  I guess you surprised me."

Brandon put his hands in his pockets.  "Sorry.  I, uh, tried calling."

Caroline patted her sweater pocket to pull out her Blackberry, but Brandon shook his head, at least having the good grace to look shameful.  "I called the apartment.  A few times this week, actually.  When I couldn't get a hold of you, I called Seth to see where you were."

Caroline shrugged her purse off of her shoulder, setting it down gingerly on top of her suitcase.  "You could have called my cell if you wanted to talk to me."

"I didn't," Brandon replied honestly.  "I just wanted to pick a time to come get the rest of my stuff without...making it too awkward."

Even expecting it, his words came as somewhat of a blow to Caroline, especially in her current state.

"Your stuff?" she echoed.  Most of Brandon's stuff was hers as well, by default, and vice versa.  They'd made most of their home purchases as a couple. 

"Just the rest of my clothes and records, mostly," he replied, motioning behind him to a pile of boxes in the hall that Caroline hadn't noticed before.  "Dave's meeting me here to haul it out to Newport."

Caroline nodded slowly, feeling numb.  "So that's where you're staying?"

"Yeah, with my dad."  Brandon shrugged.  "We're trying to patch things up, I guess."

"That's...that's good."  Caroline clenched her fists tight enough that her nails dug into her palms.  She wanted to be anywhere but here.  It hurt that Brandon was officially leaving, yes, but more than anything, her thoughts strayed to JC and the way he had snubbed her earlier.  Tears started to well up in Caroline's eyes and she looked down before Brandon could notice.  "So it's...definitely over."

She couldn't see his expression, but she stared at his shoes, worn dark blue low-top Chuck Taylors that had seen better days and now looked more gray than anything else.  "I think we both know that it is, Care."

Caroline closed her eyes and a couple tears slipped out.  "Yeah, I guess so."

Brandon cleared his throat.  "I better go downstairs and wait for Dave."

"Yep."  Caroline managed to wipe her eyes quickly before she looked up, and Brandon respectfully pretended not to notice.  "Did you get everything you needed?"

"Yeah, yeah I got it all."  He reached in his pocket and dug out a silver key.  "I was just gonna drop it off with the super, but since you're here..."

Caroline held out her hand and Brandon dropped the key into her palm.  "Thanks."

He nodded and they stood awkwardly for a few seconds before Caroline reached for the handle on her suitcase.  "I guess I'll see you around."

"Yeah.  Sure."  Brandon stepped aside as she moved past him, and he made no move to touch her or offer any comforting words about remaining friends.  Caroline wouldn't have expected it from him, anyway.  "See ya."

"Bye."  Caroline didn't glance behind her to see if he was still in the hallway as she rolled her suitcase inside and closed the door.  The apartment looked pretty much the same as when she'd left it - Brandon hadn't taken anything big, like furniture or appliances.  But the large gap in the shelves that had held their combined record collection was startling, and Caroline leaned against the closed door for a moment, feeling as though her heart was ripping inside of her chest. 

Not bothering to continue with the pretense of normalcy by changing and unpacking, she instead went straight for the window once she'd caught her breath.  Dave had already arrived with his vintage Chevy pickup.  He and Brandon loaded the boxes into the bed of the truck fairly quickly, and then they both climbed in and drove away.  Caroline watched them disappear down the busy street until she couldn't see them anymore. 

Finally, Caroline stood and kicked her shoes off.  She pulled her Blackberry out of her pocket, frowned at the reminder of JC, and turned it off before picking up the house phone.  She dialed a number from memory and waited.

"Seth Reed."

"Hey."

"Hey!  You're home?"

"Yeah."  Caroline sunk into an armchair, letting her eyes closed.  "Just got back."

Seth paused.  "Brandon called me while you were gone."

"I know.  He was here when I got home, packing up his stuff."

Seth sighed.  "Shit.  I'm sorry."

Caroline didn't tell him not to be.  "Well.  I think I'm ready to talk." 

Out of both of her brothers, Seth had always been the obvious choice for a heart-to-heart.  Cameron gave good advice, but he had a tendency to be bossy and patronizing.  Once you could get Seth to sit still long enough, he was a great listener, and Caroline had cried on his shoulder over too many high school boyfriends to count.

"You're in luck," he responded without missing a beat.  "I had a hearing this afternoon, but it got cancelled at the last minute.  I'll swing home and pick up Moo and then head over to your place.  Sound good?"

"Yeah.  Sounds good."  Caroline glanced at her watch - it would take Seth twenty minutes to get to her place from his, so she only had about a half-hour to sit by herself in an apartment that felt as empty and alone as ever.  "See you then."

"Hang in there, Care," Seth said, and hung up.  Caroline set the phone down and stood up immediately.  She knew that if she sat for too long, she'd probably start crying, so instead, she began to pace the apartment, looking for differences.  Brandon appeared to had left all of their pictures and personal mementos.  Ignoring the hurt that she felt at that thought, Caroline stopped to pick up a framed picture on top of the bookcase in the corner.  It was a photo of the two of them in front of the bar they'd met in - a little dive near the USC campus that Caroline had worked at when she was still an undergraduate. 

Judging by the length of her hair and what she was wearing in the picture, Caroline judged it to have been taken just a few months after they'd started dating.  They were sitting at a patio table outside the bar, Caroline perched on Brandon's knee.  Her head was tipped back against his shoulder and she was laughing at something as he wrapped his arms around her waist.  They both looked completely happy, and it made Caroline wonder when had been the last time she'd felt that way with Brandon.  For the last six months, at least, things had been strained, difficult.  She just wished she could pinpoint when things had changed.

Caroline set the picture down and picked up another - this one was a self-portrait, taken by Brandon extending the camera out in front of them as they hugged in front of a spectacular night-time view of downtown Los Angeles.  The memory of the night in question was still as fresh as ever in her mind.

 

As confused as she was, Caroline couldn't help but smile when she felt Brandon's hand tighten over hers on the way up the stairs.

"Where are we going?" she asked again, feeling a certain concern as they passed another door and turned up a new flight of stairs.  "Are we even allowed to be here?"

"Definitely not," Brandon replied over his shoulder, only taking the time to smile at her as he led her past another landing.  "Why?  Does that make you nervous?"

"I'm...kind of a rule follower," she admitted.  Caroline paused to get a look at the sign on the next landing that told her which floor they were on, and inadvertently tripped on the next step.  Brandon was still holding her hand, however, and all she needed was his firm grip to be able to catch herself easily before she fell.  Brandon stopped for the first time since he'd started her on this spontaneous expedition.

"You okay?" he asked, turning to face her.  Caroline could tell by his expression that he was legitimately concerned, no hint of mocking in his eyes.  She blushed. 

"I'm fine, I just..."  She glanced over her shoulder at the red and white placard that boldly displayed the number ‘39'.  "Does this building really have that many floors?"

"Forty-one, actually," Brandon replied.  "We're almost there.  I promise you, it will be worth it."

Caroline was silent as they continued up the remaining flights of stairs.  Brandon had only taken her on the elevator up to the 28th floor of the downtown Los Angeles skyscraper. 

"This is all I have access to," he'd admitted, showing her the elevator keycard from the law firm he was currently interning at.  "But anyone has access to the stairs."

At first, Caroline had been excited to be in such a fancy building after hours.  But now, she was starting to feel a little nervous.  They were apparently going to the roof of a completely empty building at midnight.  And she didn't even know this guy that well, he was basically a stranger.  They'd only just met last weekend at the bar.  This was their first official date, and excited as Caroline had been when the super hot guy from the bar had actually used her number after asking for it, she would be lying to herself if she didn't admit she was a little...wary.

The earlier part of the date had gone excellently, though...in fact, it was probably the best first date Caroline had ever been on.  Brandon was not only incredibly attractive, he was kind, smart, funny, and had great taste in music, books, and art.  They clicked instantly over Indian food, especially when Brandon had purposefully picked a restaurant that was almost exclusively vegan.  He was a second year pre-law student at USC, too, and Caroline could just imagine how stoked her dad would be about that.

"Alright."  Brandon finally let go of her hand at the final landing, right in front of the door that had a sign advertising roof access to "authorized personnel only" and a warning about the automatic locking door.  "Here we are."

Caroline wrapped her arms around herself as Brandon opened the door, letting in a rush of cool night air.  She waited as he propped a cinderblock up against the open door to keep it from shutting and locking behind them, and then extended his hand towards her.

"You okay?" Brandon asked again, and Caroline shrugged, glancing around the wide space of the roof around them.

"Yeah, sure."

Brandon held onto her hand as he led her across the roof, towards the edge.  Caroline felt her heart start to race, and she hung back a bit, even as Brandon tugged her closer.

"I'm a little...I'm not really good with heights," she admitted when he looked at her questioningly.

"It's cool."  Brandon let go of her hand only to wrap his arm around her shoulders.  "This okay?" he asked softly, and Caroline felt her stomach fill with warm, pleasant butterflies.

"Yeah," she murmured, feeling herself lean comfortably into his embrace.  They fit together just as she had imagined they would.  Caroline glanced away from Brandon's intense gaze to take in the view.  "Wow."

"Pretty neat, huh?"  Keeping his arm tight around her, Brandon motioned out to the glittering Los Angeles skyline beyond and below them.  "This is only the seventeenth tallest building in the city."

It still felt pretty tall to Caroline - they could have been on top of the world for all she knew.

"You couldn't swing the tallest?"

"Nope, sorry."  He smirked down at her.  "I think that's the US Bank building.  But I'm not interning there."

"I guess that's a good thing," she replied, leaning cautiously closer to the edge to look down at the scattered late night traffic below.  "Any higher and I'd still be in the doorway."

Brandon laughed softly, and they stared out at the city in silence for a little bit longer.

"Do you like your internship?" Caroline asked suddenly.  Brandon didn't answer for a few moments and she wondered if this was untouchable territory so early in their acquaintance.

"It's okay," he said finally, then sighed.  "No, I fuckin' hate it."

Caroline laughed at first, then sobered when she realized he wasn't laughing with her.  "Really?"

"Yeah."  Brandon let go of her and turned to half-sit on the edge.  Caroline wasn't quite confident enough to do that, so she stayed standing.  "I hate law school."

The air around them seemed to take on a fragile feel, and Caroline could tell that this was the first time Brandon had shared these feelings with anyone.  He shrugged.  "I don't know, it's just...my dad really wanted me to do it but...I just can't picture myself ever being a lawyer, you know?"

"It's not your dream," Caroline supplied softly, and Brandon shook his head. 

"It's really not.  My dad's pounded it into my head for so long that I think I started to believe it was, though."

Caroline nodded slowly - she could identify.  Her own father had been so desperate for her to go to his alma mater that he'd begun to instill a love for the school in her at an early age.  Caroline could remember eating out of USC cereal bowls as a kid, and going as a Trojan cheerleader for at least two Halloweens.  She'd even seen the little red and gold onesies that she'd worn as a newborn, still folded lovingly in a box at her dad's house, waiting to be passed on to her own children someday.  For Caroline, the decision to go to USC hadn't been difficult.  Of course, she'd applied to some backup schools, which her dad had been okay with (as long as none of them were UCLA), but when she got accepted to USC...well, it didn't make sense to go anywhere else.  And it had made her dad so happy - he barely cared what she chose to major in, as long as her diploma came from his precious USC.

Brandon, however, looked a little more beaten down from living his dad's dream.  "So, what will you do?"

He glanced up at her and shrugged again.  "What do you mean?"

"If being a lawyer's not your dream," Caroline said, "what is?"

Brandon turned to stare out at the skyline again.  An airplane passed far overhead in the direction of the airport, and they both looked up to watch it pass.  "I've never told anyone this."

Caroline smiled, and reached for his hand.  She'd never put the moves on a guy this quickly before.  "I know."

Brandon squeezed her hand and sighed.  "I want to make music.  Write it, and produce it, and perform it.  All the time.  That's all I really want."

At dinner, they'd talked a bit about the band he'd started up with some buddies, but Caroline hadn't pegged it as a serious venture.  "Really?"

"Yeah."  He grinned sheepishly.  "Here you were thinking I was a real straight shooter, but now you're finding out that I'm really a bum after all.  Sorry."

"I don't think you're a bum," Caroline assured him.  "But I do think that nobody can live for very long living a life that they're not meant to lead.  You know?  Eventually it will drive you crazy and make you miserable."

Brandon looked up at her thoughtfully.  "So you think I should quit while I'm ahead?"

Caroline shook her head.  "I can't tell you what you should do.  Only you can decide that."

He looked up at her for a little bit longer before standing up and wrapping his arms around her in a gentle hug.  It wasn't awkward or forced, just a sweet embrace, and Caroline leaned into it, closing her eyes.

"Thank you," Brandon murmured against her hair.  "For being honest."

"I'm good at being honest," Caroline replied, her voice muffled against his jacket.  "Actually, it's probably more of a fault than anything else."

Brandon laughed softly, pulling back to look her in the eyes.  "I disagree.  I think your honesty is just what I need in my life, Caroline."

She blushed, and a cool breeze blew some of her hair across her face.  Brandon pushed it back behind her ear gently before leaning in.  "Can I kiss you now?"

"Isn't that why you brought me up here in the first place?" Caroline whispered back.  Brandon smirked.

"See?  Honesty."  With that, he leaned in and pressed his lips to hers.   Again, the fit was perfect. 

 

After their kiss, Brandon had produced the cell phone that he'd owned at the time, and taken their picture with the camera function.  The low-quality shot was grainy and blurry, but Caroline had loved it so much that she'd had him email it to her, saved it to a flash-drive, and gotten it printed at CVS.  Now, she picked the frame up and turned it upside down, laying it face down on the bookcase.  It was a bad picture of a great night, and at that time, Caroline had been more or less convinced that Brandon was the one for her, forever. 

But now...Caroline turned away and her eyes automatically went to her Blackberry, abandoned on the couch.  She picked it up, powered it on, and selected the photo gallery.  Caroline almost never used her phone for any kind of pleasure, besides maybe checking Facebook every now and again.  She hadn't even known it had a camera until Rob showed her how to use it at the Vegas benefit concert. 

"Get in next to JC and I'll take your picture," he'd suggested, motioning her to scoot closer to her boss.  "Come on!"

Caroline had grudgingly slipped out of her seat and stood next to JC, brooding over his gin and tonic.  However, he'd leaned in amicably, offering what Caroline had come to know as his "press smile", a closed-mouth sort of half-smirk that came nowhere near the goofiness of his genuine smile. 

Looking back on the picture now, neither of them looked particularly happy to be photographed, but there was something underlying in the image that Caroline couldn't quite put her finger on.  In fact, even trying to pinpoint what it was made Caroline uncomfortable.  She tossed the phone aside, still hurt by JC's actions that morning.

Before she could look for something to take her mind off of it, the door buzzer rang, and she crossed the room to hit the intercom.  "Hello?"

"It's me," Seth replied.  "Hurry up, this cat carrier's a heavy son of a bitch."

Caroline smiled ruefully and hit the button to unlock the front door.  If nothing else, at least she would have her cat.

 

interlude by rebeccan

Across town, JC sat in Kevin's office, wiggling his foot against the leg of the chair.  The high-rise building was quiet on a late Saturday afternoon, and Kevin's secretary wasn't there to intercept him, so he'd gone straight in.  His manager met him inside, dressed in his version of weekend casual, a pressed pair of khaki's and a pastel golf polo. 

They spoke a little bit about the DC trip before Kevin cut to the chase. 

"So, what gives?" he asked,  his chin in his hand.  "I know you didn't call me in here on a Saturday for nothing."

JC cracked his knuckles, one at a time, his foot jiggling anxiously on the floor.  "It's Caroline.  I want her gone."

Kevin looked surprised - taken aback, even.  "What?  Did something happen?"

JC shook his head.  "No."

Still unconvinced, Kevin leaned across the desk.  "JC, is this really worth starting from scratch all over again?  You said yourself that she's one of the best assistants you've ever had.  If she's made a mistake, perhaps there's some way that we can correct her rather than just let her go completely."

JC's foot jiggled faster.  "No.  I'm going to need someone else.  Preferably by next month, if you can, I've got a lot of events coming up for the show's next season."

Kevin sat up straight.  He'd been working with JC Chasez for around five years, since just a little bit after the demise of NSYNC and he'd decided it was time to seek a new manager.  It was fair to say that Kevin knew JC pretty well.  Judging by his body language and the way he'd wiped his expression clean of all emotion, it was pretty safe to say that something had happened, and it had been something big.

However, he also knew that if JC wasn't sharing, there weren't too many ways to pry it out of him.  He was, and always had been, an intensely private person.

"Alright."  Kevin picked up a post-it and jotted down a note for himself.  "What about references?"

JC blinked.  "What about them?"

"Can I give her a good one?" Kevin asked.  "Or were you...dissatisfied with her performance?"

Kevin pretended not to notice JC's momentary flinch.  "Give her whatever kind of reference you want, I don't care.  Can you just handle it for me, please?"  He stood up, clearly on-edge.  "Have her meet you here Monday morning, I'll ship any personal effects she left in the office."

This was to be expected - not once out of JC's many assistants had he ever fired one personally.  Kevin had always had the honor of breaking the news, offering the usually-blubbering girl tissues across his desk, and assuring her that the "fit" just wasn't right.  "Fine.  Anything else?"

"What?"  JC glanced at him sharply.  "No.  No, that's it."

Kevin sighed and made another note to call the employment agency after he spoke with Caroline on Monday.  At nearly six months of peace and quiet, he was not looking forward to another round of interviews with a new batch of girls.  Maybe he should ask for a guy this time around.

"Alright, JC.  Get some rest tomorrow," Kevin suggested, watching the antsy man head for the door.  "Take the day off, okay?"

JC didn't say anything, just nodded and let the door fall shut behind him on his way out. 

 

chapter 20 by rebeccan
Author's Notes:
Note: You didn't think I would only give you guys one short chapter today, did you? :) Enjoy and review! 

The email from Kevin came Sunday afternoon, asking Caroline to meet in his office first thing Monday morning.  Caroline didn't think much of it beside frowning at the inconvenience - Kevin's office was in the opposite direction of JC's house from her apartment, not to mention in the heart of downtown traffic.  Going there first wouldn't put her at JC's until mid-morning, depending on whatever the meeting was about. 

Deciding to play it safe, Caroline sent JC a text message Monday morning as she left her apartment, letting him know that she would be in Kevin's office for the better part of the morning and asking if he had any errands for her to run on the way back.  He didn't respond, but Caroline shrugged it off, focusing the majority of her frustrations on the traffic getting to Kevin's building.

When she finally made it there, Kevin's secretary gave her a placating smile and asked her to wait, as Kevin was held up in a meeting.  Caroline sat in the same stiff chair that she had on the day of her interview, checking emails on her phone and watching the time tick away 

Finally, Kevin appeared, apologizing profusely.  "Come on in, Caroline."

Kevin shut the door behind her and Caroline sat down across from his desk.  "Sorry again, I had an early meeting that I just couldn't get out of."  Kevin rounded the desk and pulled his chair out, unbuttoning his suit jacket before he took his seat.  "I didn't mean to make you wait so long."

"No problem," Caroline said.  "So, what's up?"

She didn't notice the way his smile faltered and grew stale.  "Caroline, I'm just going to cut right to the chase."

He slid a piece of paper across the desk towards her, and Caroline was reminded of her interview again, when Kevin had written her starting salary down, like in a movie.  This time, however, she had a  bad feeling in the pit of her stomach from the start.  Her eyes caught the word "severance" in bold at the top and her heart constricted in her chest.

"What is this?" she tried to ask, but only the first word managed to eek its way out.  Kevin folded his hands on top of his desk. 

"It's an outline of your severance package."  He sighed softly.  "I'm...very sorry to have to do this, Caroline."

She stared down at the page, the numbers and words blurring together in front of her eyes. 

"I want to assure you, of course, that this doesn't reflect negatively at all on your work ethic," Kevin continued.  "It's simply a personality conflict.  You'll find that the benefits are generous; two month's salary on top of your unused sick days." 

He said a few more things about the severance package, but Caroline couldn't seem to focus on his words.  She was being fired?  For what?  What had Kevin said - a personality conflict?  The phrase hurt more than it probably should have.

Kevin was still talking, and Caroline tried her hardest to tune back in.  "I can provide references for you, should you require it.  And, Caroline..." He leaned across the desk, and she could see the earnest disappointment in his eyes.  "I don't normally do this, but I have quite a few contacts in the business world.  I know it's a tough market out there right now, especially for a recent graduate.  However, I'd be more than willing to pass your name onto a few firms, if you'd like."

Caroline managed to nod stiffly.  "That would be great."

Kevin smiled sadly.  "Again, I'm...so sorry, Caroline.  I've enjoyed working with you, truly."

Sensing it was time to take her leave, Caroline did her best to emulate normal mannerisms, even in her detached state.  She stood, took the piece of paper, shook Kevin's hand, and headed for the door. 

"Take care," Kevin said, holding the door for her on the way out.  His secretary gave her a sympathetic glance, but Caroline kept walking, doing her best to hold her head high.

Down in the parking garage, she held the severance notice in her lap and stared at it blankly.  Indeed, she was allotted two month's salary, which was certainly charitable.  But as Caroline stared down at the sheet, the numb feeling began to dissipate, and anger took its place.

JC was firing her.  Whether it was Kevin who broke the news or not, JC was responsible for this.  A personality conflict?  Caroline tossed the paper aside and clenched her steering wheel until her knuckles turned white. 

As if in auto-pilot, Caroline turned on her car and left the parking garage.  She drove north, in the direction of her apartment, but bypassed 5th street when it came, and took Central all the way up to the 101.  From there, she exited on Laurel Canyon and headed straight for JC's house.  When she got to the gate, Caroline was half-concerned that the code would be changed, but it wasn't, and she went all the way up to the top of the driveway. 

Edgar was in front of the garage with one of the lawn guys, trying to explain something to him about the bushes, when Caroline got out of her car.  He waved to her.

"Buenas dias, Carolina!" he called jovially, but she only offered a quick wave.  With every step towards the front door, Caroline found herself growing more and more pissed off.  By the time she made it to the top of the stairs, she was positively seething.

Such was her anger, she didn't notice the additional car in the driveway that morning, a black Escalade.  When Caroline shoved the front door open, she quickly learned that JC was not alone.

In the foyer, JC stood with an older man and a younger girl with long hair and designer jeans.  Caroline could tell from one look that this was some up and coming pop singer and her manager.  The look in her eyes must have been as murderous as she felt it was, because they both stared at her, wide-eyed and startled by her sudden appearance.

Caroline had every intention to smile politely and ask to see JC in the other room, but when she laid eyes on him, his eyebrows raised as he watched her slam the front door behind her, her anger boiled over completely.

"You're firing me?" she demanded, tossing her purse to the floor without ceremony.  "You're firing me?  Where the hell do you get off, JC?"

JC pursed his lips and turned to his guests apologetically.  "You'll have to excuse me.  I'll be in touch."

Caroline stood aside as JC ushered the man and girl out the front door.  Once he'd closed the door behind them, he turned to her, his embarrassed smile now twisted into a frown.  "Are you insane?"

"Are you insane?" she shot back, not caring that it was possibly the lamest comeback in the book.  "Who the hell do you think you are?  What gives you the right to fire me?  I haven't done anything wrong!"

JC crossed his arms over his chest.  "Did Kevin tell you that you did something wrong?"

"No, but -"

"Then you haven't," he interrupted.  "Did he show you your severance package?"

"Yes, but -"

"Then you've seen how generous I was to make up for the lack of notice."  JC motioned towards the office as he began to move around her.  "I was going to box up your things for you, but since you're here, you might as well take them with you."

Caroline followed him into the kitchen, still livid.  "JC, I don't want your money.  I don't even care about the job that much.  But at least have the decency to tell me the truth."

"What truth?" JC asked flippantly, pouring himself a cup of coffee.  Caroline resisted the urge to snatch the mug out of his hand and throw the hot liquid in his face. 

"You didn't think I'd actually go for the personality conflict line, did you?" Caroline asked.  "Is that the standard for firing your assistants?"

JC poured some sugar into his coffee and actually had the nerve to smile.  "Yep."

"You are such an asshole," Caroline exclaimed.  "Why don't you just man up?  Tell me to my face, JC.  Why are you firing me?"

JC stiffened slightly but continued stirring his coffee.  "I told you from the beginning that I go through a lot of assistants."

"That is such a fucking copout."  Caroline jabbed her finger into his arm, hard.  "I'm not leaving until I hear you say it."

"Well, I guess I'll have to call the cops, then."  JC turned towards her, taking a sip of his coffee.  "Trust me, it's not the first time they've had to come drag a crazy woman off the premise."

Caroline slapped him, and JC lost his grip on the coffee cup in surprise.  It crashed to the tile floor, raining coffee and shards of ceramic everywhere.  Caroline felt a piece of it slice into her bare ankle, but she ignored it.  The slap had effectively slaked off the majority of her anger, and Caroline took a half-step back, afraid of how JC would react.

"What the fuck was that for?" he demanded.  "Jesus, Caroline, what the hell is wrong with you?"

"Sorry," she muttered, wincing when JC grabbed her upper arms.  "I'm sorry!"

"I'm not gonna hit you," he snapped, and Caroline had to admit that it was somewhat satisfying to see him finally lose his calm composure.  "You want to know why I fired you?  You really want to know?"

Caroline wasn't fully sure anymore, but she nodded anyway.  "Yes."

JC's grip tightened on her arms and Caroline winced slightly.  "I had to, Caroline, because this can't happen."

"What can't happen?" she asked quietly, even though she knew the answer.

"This.  Us, whatever's going on here."  JC let go of her abruptly, and Caroline stumbled back.  "You know it can't."

Caroline stared at him, starting to regret that she'd demanded the truth so harshly.  Maybe it would have been better to go on without ever knowing for sure.  But then again, she'd always been a glutton for this kind of heartache.  "Why not?"

JC threw his arms in the air.  "It just can't!  It wouldn't work."

Caroline crossed her arms over her waist, shaking her head.  JC frowned at her.  "What?"

"You're afraid," she said plainly.  "You're afraid of this."

JC scowled.  "I'm not afraid of shit."

"Yes, you are."  Caroline took a step towards him, shards of broken coffee mug scratching the tile beneath her shoes.  "Just admit it.  Admit that you're scared and I'll go."

"Shut up."  JC matched her step, grabbing her wrists in a painful grip.  "Get the hell out of here."

He didn't let her go, however, and Caroline held her breath in anticipation as JC pulled her closer. 

"This is a bad idea," he murmured, pressing his lips to the sensitive skin of her neck.  Caroline let her eyes close.  "Fuck.  Caroline, this is such a bad idea."

Caroline shushed him and wrapped her arms around his neck as he lifted her onto the counter, placing himself between her legs.  "I don't care, JC."

JC slanted his mouth over hers, pushing his tongue past her teeth forcefully as he pulled her hips forward and pushed her skirt up simultaneously.  Caroline moaned through the kiss as JC's hands gripped the bare skin of her thighs and pulled her even closer.  She wrapped her legs around his waist, angling herself against his obvious arousal.

They didn't speak at all.  The kiss was broken only to pull off various articles of clothing, Caroline's tank top, JC's t-shirt.  Caroline kicked off her shoes at one point, the heels falling to the floor with a clatter in the otherwise silent kitchen.  Her first coherent thought was whether or not Mariella was there that day when JC reached beneath her skirt and began to tug off her panties.

She placed her hands over his to stop him, and JC pulled back, looking her in the eyes.  Caroline pushed him backward only enough to slide off the counter and drop back to the floor.  Careful to avoid the shatters of the coffee cup on the floor, she made her way out of the kitchen towards the stairs, hoping that JC would follow. 

She made it all the way to the first landing before she felt JC's hands grab her hips and pull her back against him from behind. 

"Are you sure?" he murmured in her ear, his lower body pressed against hers.  Caroline took a deep, shaky breath.  Was she?

"Yes."

JC kissed her neck, took her hand in his, and led her the rest of the way up the stairs, into his bedroom.  It hadn't changed much since the last time she had been in there, but she didn't pay much attention to the scenery.  JC pushed her down onto the bed before he reached for his belt, and Caroline shimmied out of her skirt, letting the material fall discarded to the floor.  Every nerve ending in her body seemed to tingle with anticipation as she settled back against the cool sheets, and when he reached for her, her bare skin finally against his, she closed her eyes, her heart pounding in her chest as his mouth began to move over her body.

Again, they didn't speak, and the only refrain in her head was "finally, finally, finally".

    ..

Hours later, the mid-afternoon sunlight streaming through the sheer curtains in JC's bedroom, Caroline sat up in an empty bed.

She rubbed her hands over her face and glanced at her watch, but her wrist was bare, much like the rest of her body.  She found it discarded on the nightstand and checked the time.  3:22.  Caroline rubbed her eyes again and glanced around the deserted room.  Had she really fallen asleep?  Had she really had sex with her boss?  All morning long?

Scooting to the edge of the mattress, Caroline listened for the sound of running water from the bathroom, but heard nothing.  She stood, wincing at the protests of her sore body, and started the search for her clothing.  Her panties were ripped a little bit and tossed clear across the room, but everything else seemed to be relatively unscathed.

Once she was dressed, Caroline double checked the bathroom, pushing the door open to find it as empty as the bedroom.  She poked her head into the hall, listening for any noises in the silent house.  She crept downstairs, trying to be quiet for some unknown reason, her head aching more and more with every step.  She attributed the pain to waking up in the middle of the day, and also a vague memory of bumping the back of her head against the bed frame at one point.  Following that memory was its unavoidable cousin - JC kissing the tender spot before he pulled her by her hips further down the bed and entered her somewhat roughly from behind.

The thought was enough to color Caroline's cheeks as she stepped into the kitchen, and she turned on cold water in the sink, pressing her damp hands over her heated face.  She felt all out of sorts, both emotionally and physically.

Maybe because you just fucked your boss, her subconscious pointed out condescendingly.  And for hours on end, too.  What a slut. 

Caroline turned around to find that the mess from that morning had been cleaned up, the shards of ruined coffee mug disposed of and the spilled coffee wiped from the tile.  Her shoes sat on top of the counter island, pushed together and upright, like someone had arranged that for her specially.  She half-expected to find a note with them, but she didn't.  Caroline slipped her shoes on and stood motionless in the kitchen for a bit, staring at nothing and listening to the silence. 

She didn't know what, exactly, she had expected.  Waking up in JC's arms?  Taking a shower with him?  Spending the rest of the evening together, blissfully unaffected by the damage they had just done?  Maybe. 

Instead, she stood alone in the kitchen and wondered if she should be surprised by the actual outcome.

Either way, she was determined to hold her head high and leave without crying.  She owed her pride that much. 

She was picking up her purse from where she'd abandoned in on the entryway floor earlier when a voice from behind made her nearly jump out of her skin.

"You're leaving?"

Caroline righted herself and turned around to find JC.  He was dressed (for the fact, Caroline didn't know if she should be thankful or disappointed) in the same clothes he'd been wearing earlier, his hands in his pockets and his expression frustratingly impassive as he watched her. 

"Um.  Yeah."  Caroline glanced down at her purse, making a show of rifling through it for her keys lest she have to look him in the eyes for a second longer than necessary.  "I guess...I thought..."

Thought what?  That he'd abandoned her?  Left her alone in his bedroom after screwing her brains out in hopes that she'd find her own way out?  Like every other girl he'd shown the same services to over the years?

Caroline bit her tongue.  The last thing she wanted was to look as desperate as she felt.

"I thought that would be...best," she finished lamely, glancing back up at him. 

JC nodded, and maybe he looked almost glum, Caroline couldn't quite put her finger on it.  "Okay."

"Yeah, so."  She turned and took a couple steps towards the door, remembering how she'd stormed through it earlier and how embarrassing she must have looked to her random witnesses.  Talk about desperate, why hadn't she just left well enough alone?  Now she was still fired, and in the middle of what seemed like an even worse mess than before.

"I was down in the studio," JC said suddenly, and Caroline glanced back over her shoulder at him.  He'd taken a couple steps closer, but his hands were still shoved in the pockets of his jeans.  She noticed for the first time that his feet were bare.  "I had a couple things to finish up, I have a deadline on a song I'm doing for..." He trailed off and shrugged.  "In case you were wondering where I was."

"Oh."  Caroline nodded, as if everything made sense, even though it didn't.  Maybe it felt a little better to know that he hadn't completely walked out on her, but she still felt like shit.  "Alright.  Well, I guess I'll see you around."

She'd said the same thing to Brandon a couple days ago, and it seemed even less true in this context.

JC didn't say anything, just watched her, and again there was that very slight, unreadable look in his eyes.  Caroline didn't want to get any closer to try and figure it out, so she turned and opened the door without looking back.

She held her head high all the way down to her car, now the only one left in the driveway.  All the lawn guys and everyone else was gone for the day, leaving her in the quiet as she descended the wide, sloping stairs and the smooth concrete of the car park.  Birds chirped and the sun shone and a nice, gentle breeze lifted up the hair on the back of her neck, but all Caroline could focus on was holding it together as she got to her car. 

Once she got inside, she ventured a glance back up to the front door, but it remained closed.  She drove down to the gate, waited for it to open for her as she strummed her fingers on the steering wheel and stared hard at the rearview mirror.  But no one came running down to stop her, the gate swung open, and she drove out, leaving JC's house behind for what was most likely the last time.

All things considered, she didn't really cry until she was home and in the shower, letting the too-hot water beat down over her head.  The cry itself was a relatively short one, nothing like the long, drawn-out sob sessions she'd had when Brandon had left for the first time.  Somehow, however, this one seemed to hurt more, she noted, wiping off the mirror to look at her reflection.  The pain was more acute, more tangible than before.

Either way, she accessed the practical side of herself like she'd been doing her whole life, and made some dinner.  She even got out the newspaper and started flipping through the classifieds, just like in the old days.  Maybe, if she played her cards right, this whole section of her life could just be written out of the history books, as if it had never existed in the first place.  Her impractical fling with celebrity, playing assistant to a star who now wanted nothing at all to do with her.  Just a phase, right?

By the time a couple hours had passed, Caroline had circled three potential prospects in the paper, cleaned up her resume (and reluctantly added her experience as JC's assistant, though she left off his name completely and listed Kevin as her supervisor), and dusted  every flat surface in her house.  She turned on the TV for background noise (something she prided herself on not really ever doing, but she hadn't lived alone, then, either), and made sure to send Kevin a quick email, thanking him for his graciousness and assuring him that she would, indeed, like him to pass her name on to any firms he knew of that happened to be hiring.

Her task mode had reached a comfortable level - enough to keep her occupied, enough to keep her from thinking or ruminating at all about the day's events.  An email from Cameron popped up in her inbox just as she sent off the message to Kevin, and Caroline opened it up without hesitating.

You holding up okay?  Seth told me about Brandon.  Call me if you need anything, and Megan says she's up for hanging out whenever you want.  She'll even get a babysitter. 

Anyway, I'm guessing Seth probably forgot to tell you, but we're getting together for Dad's birthday this Saturday.  It was Cathy's idea, she wants to do homemade pizzas or some shit like that.  Anyway, it's at their house, she said she left a message on your machine last week, but I know you were out of town and never really check that, so I wanted to give you a heads up.  Let me know if you want to carpool out there with us.


Talk soon,

Cam

PS: Mom's coming, Cathy invited her.  Just fair warning!

Caroline rubbed her temples, pulling up the calendar on her computer to see, indeed, that her father's birthday was Sunday.  She couldn't remember the last time she'd looked at an actual calendar, one that did not list JC's upcoming events and trips.  Her life had truly begun to revolve around his schedule, so much so that she'd nearly abandoned her own life and the things that were important to her. 

Feeling a pang of regret, Caroline scrambled for a pen and scrawled a note to herself to pick up a card and a present before sending a quick reply to Cameron that she did, indeed, want to carpool.  It had been a few months since she'd seen her nephews, and she had to admit that she was actually looking forward to spending time with her family in a setting that was not the hospital, even if her mom would be present. 

She was still looking at the calendar, making sure there weren't any more upcoming important events that she'd overlooked, when something on the television caught her attention.

The local news had started, opening with a story about LA auditions for America's Best Dance Crew.  Caroline stared blankly at the TV, cursing her luck, before she fumbled for the remote to change the channel.  The contraption was nowhere to be found, of course, and she was on her hands and knees, peering under the couch, when JC's voice filled her living room.

"Yeah, it's exciting.  A lot of cool stuff is coming up, it's gonna be different, you know, but it's gonna be good."

Caroline froze, sitting up to turn and stare at the TV screen, like a compulsion.  From one look, she could tell that the interview had taken place at the DC benefit from last week.  JC was wearing his all black tux, and inclining his head slightly to hear the reporter's next question, his eyebrows furrowed together slightly as he half-frowned, the way he did when he was listening.  Caroline knew that she was just off-camera, to JC's left, and the reminder was a painful one.  Had that event literally only occurred days before?  It felt like a world away. 

Caroline found herself still watching, powerless to turn away, as JC continued to speak about ABDC's next season and the auditions.

"The East Coast definitely brought the heat at the auditions last month, but I live in LA, so I know what they're all about," JC continued.  "I'm looking forward to seeing some really extreme talent from the west."

He was grinning as he spoke, showcasing just how passionate he actually was about the show, as the interview cut away, back to the news anchor in the studio.  Caroline leaned back against the couch, remembering the last time she'd seen that expression on JC's face, the genuine, childlike enthusiasm.

 

"Hey, check this out!"

Caroline started at the sight of JC in the office, sitting at her desk, as she entered.  The coffee in her mug nearly sloshed out onto the floor, and she steadied herself against the doorframe.

"God.  You scared me."

"Come here, come here," JC exclaimed, motioning her over excitedly, ignoring the fright he had caused her.  "Hurry!  This is the best part!"

Caroline sighed and continued into the office, setting her purse down on the empty desk before continuing over to her own.  JC got out of her chair, ushering her down into the seat.  He pushed on her shoulders to hurry her up, and Caroline opened her mouth to complain.
 

"Shhhhhh!"  JC pointed at the computer screen.  "Watch."

The browser on the screen was opened to YouTube, and a video was playing.  It appeared to be a clip from a news channel, and Caroline recognized it as one of the new Internet rages - videos of common things that got uploaded to the website and promoted to epic proportions. She'd already seen the one in question (Brandon had showed it to her after hearing about it from one of his bandmates at practice) and turned to tell JC so, but he grabbed her shoulder tightly, keeping her in place.

Caroline hadn't really thought the video was that funny in the first place, but something about JC's total abandonment to laughter made her smile a bit as it ended.  "So funny, right?" he said, reaching in front of her for the mouse.

"Yeah, totally," Caroline murmured, freezing as JC leaned over her shoulder to adjust the playback on the video.  His face was right next to hers, so close that she could see precisely where his beard was starting to grow in again, smell his aftershave, feel the warmth of his body.  He laughed out loud again, replaying his favorite part, and his chest vibrated against Caroline's back.  She didn't fully relax until he straightened up, stretching his arms over his head.

"Shit.  Is it really 8:30 already?" he asked, squinting at the clock on the wall.  "I need to get to work."

Caroline realized for the first time that he was wearing blue striped pajama bottoms under his t-shirt.  "Have you seriously spent all morning on YouTube?"

JC smiled sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck.  "Yeah.  I got up early.  Couldn't sleep."

 "Don't you have a laptop?" Caroline asked, closing out of YouTube on her computer and frowning when she saw three other open windows.  "Oh God, please don't tell me you look at porn on my computer when I'm not here."

"Okay, I won't tell you."  JC grinned at her mischievously, and Caroline groaned, closing her eyes.  "Just kidding.  I'm gonna go get dressed.  Maybe."  He headed for the door, but turned back to glance at her.  "And you're welcome for starting your day off with a healthy dose of laughter."

Caroline tried to suppress her smile, unsuccessfully, and looked up to see JC watching her triumphantly from the doorway.  "Yes, thanks so much."

Whether she wanted to admit it or not, the smile stayed on her face for hours after he left her alone.

 

Caroline spotted the remote under the coffee table and turned the TV off promptly, even though the feature on ABDC had long ended.  For a few minutes, she stared at the blank TV screen, willing herself not to cry.

"Okay," she murmured.  "Okay.  You can do this.  What's next?"

She glanced around, looking for the next task she needed to complete.  Staying busy, that was the key.  Right?

 

chapter 21 by rebeccan
Author's Notes:
Note: Bear with me through some background/filler here. :) I finished this story over the weekend, so I'm excited for you guys to see how it all works out. Just a couple chapters left! 

"Higher, Aunt Caroline!  Again!"

Caroline's arms ached but her nephew's screams of delight were enough to motivate her to keep pushing.  "There's only so high you can go, Rex."

"Please!" Rex shouted over his shoulder.  "I'm gonna jump all the way to Gramma Cathy's flowers this time!"

Caroline frowned; her stepmother was a semi-retired realtor who really had nothing better to do with a lot of her time than manicure a perfect line of multi-colored rosebushes in the back and front yards of her imitation Cape Cod home.  She may have been a great step-grandmother to the boys, but she had never had any children of her own, and thus wasn't quite immune to the destruction two little boys could cause.

"I don't think that's such a good idea, buddy," Caroline suggested, reaching up to pull on the swing's chain and slow the boy's speed slightly.  "First of all, you'll get thorns in places you don't want them.  Second of all, you'll probably make Gramma Cathy cry."

"Oh."  Rex seemed to accept this response and instead jumped off the swing at a much safer distance from the flowerbeds.  "Ta-da!"

Caroline offered a compulsory clap.  "Very nice."  Someone tugged at the hem of her shorts, and she glanced down to see three-year-old Jack smiling up at her.

"My turn!"

Caroline obligingly lifted Jack onto the swing in question, starting him off on a much slower rhythm.

"Aunt Caroline, watch!" Rex shouted, doing a tumbling flip over the grass.  "Did you see?  Did you see me?"

She gave Rex a thumbs-up just as Cameron appeared.  "Need a break?"

"Maybe."  She stepped back to let her brother take over the swing-pushing.  "Although I am getting a killer workout on this thing."

"How do you think I got these guns?" Cameron asked, flexing his bicep dramatically before he reached out to keep Jack moving.  "The boy never stops," he remarked, nodding out to Rex who was in the process of cartwheeling his way across the spacious backyard. 

"And he's only five," Caroline said, sitting down on the adjacent swing.  "It's just gonna get worse from here."

"Don't remind me," Cameron muttered.  "Megan still wants a girl, but I keep telling her it's a bad idea.  If these guys are anywhere near as awful as we were to you..."

Caroline laughed, leaning back in the swing and enjoying the cool sea breeze as the sun warmed her legs.  "I'm just glad you're finally admitting how much you tortured me."

"It worked, though," Cameron pointed out.  "Now nothing can phase you."

She nodded slowly, not sure if she fully agreed.  Of course, Cameron hadn't seen how spotless her apartment was - she'd spent the entire week deep-cleaning and organizing and rearranging.  She'd even re-painted her bedroom.  Sure, she hadn't cried at all, but she was starting to suspect that she had a deeper problem.

"Speaking of which."  Cameron slowed the swing down as Jack hollered to get off, seeing that his brother had discovered a better source of fun in the giant-sized foam blocks that Cathy had surprised them with earlier in the day.  "Are you doing okay?"

"Do I seem like I'm not?" Caroline asked, avoiding the question.  Cameron cocked his head at her.

"No, but that doesn't mean anything.  You're a Reed, we're bred not to reveal our true emotions."  He sat on the swing next to hers, facing the opposite direction so that she couldn't avoid looking him in the eye.  "Not many people can handle getting dumped and laid off all in the same week without losing their shit a little."

Caroline stared at the ground, feeling more than slightly guilty for her lie.  Not wanting to reveal the true reasons for her unemployment, she'd told her family that her position had been cut for financial reasons.  (Which, if course, had led to her brothers jokingly speculating about JC's lack of funds.  "Apparently making sucky pop music doesn't pay as well as it used to," Cameron had cracked.)

"So."  Cameron kicked at her ankle and Caroline scowled at him.  "Are you really okay or are you just pretending to be?"

"I'm...pretending to be," she admitted, knowing that Cameron would see through her fib.  "But, you know.  It'll pass.  I object to the term ‘dumped', by the way."

Cameron raised his eyebrow.  "So it was mutual?"

"Well..." Caroline scraped the toe of her sandal into the exposed earth below the swing.  "Kind of."

Her brother thankfully chose not to pick at the wound.  "Either way.  It's been a busy week.  Remember, if you need anything..."

Caroline nodded and shifted uncomfortably in her swing - she wasn't used to Cameron being so caring, at least not outwardly.  "Yeah, yeah."

Before Cameron could embarrass her any further, Megan's voice drifted over from the back deck.  "Cam, are you even watching our kids?!"

Caroline turned in time to see Rex take Jack to the ground with an impressive running tackle.  Cameron was halfway across the yard before Jack started wailing, and Megan hurried down from the deck, shaking her head as she passed Caroline. 

"Don't ever have kids," she muttered.  Caroline laughed and got off the swing, heading for the porch to give her brother and sister-in-law some private disciplinary time with their children.

Cathy's make-your-own pizza idea had actually been a hit - each person brought their favorite pizza ingredients to share, and she'd provided the crust and various sauces.  Caroline could hear the party still raging inside - it was just family and a few close friends, but from the sounds of it, an intense video game battle between Seth and their 14-year-old cousin Daphne was still on.

She made it up to the top of the deck stairs in time to see her dad and Cathy canoodling in a wooden Adirondack chair, and winced.  "Jeez, guys."

Cathy giggled, an odd sound coming from a woman of nearly 50, and climbed off Mark's lap.  "Sorry.  Are you having a good time, honey?"

Caroline shrugged one shoulder, leaning against the deck railing.  "Yeah, actually.  It's a really nice party, Cathy."

Mark nodded in agreement, and Caroline didn't miss the little smack he gave Cathy's rear as she moved to head back inside.  "It really is, my dear."

Cathy giggled again before disappearing inside the open French doors.  Caroline rolled her eyes and shook her head at her father. 

"Dad, for real.  You're turning fifty-eight, not twenty-one."

Mark just chuckled.  "You'll understand when you're older."

She held up her hands before he could continue.  "Okay.  No lectures about our changing bodies and maturing libidos, please."

"You got it."  Mark patted the arm of his chair, moving his bottle of beer out of the way.  "Come here."

Caroline obligingly perched on the edge of the chair, allowing her dad to wrap his arm around her waist.

"How's my little girl?" he asked.  "Hanging in there?"

She sighed - everyone asking how she was doing was starting to get a little old.  "I'm fine, Dad."

"Of course you're fine, you're my daughter, aren't you?"  Mark gave her a little squeeze and Caroline crossed her arms over her chest with a sigh.  Here it came, her dad's macho "suck-it-up" version of a life pep-talk.  "You'll bounce back, Caroline.  I don't want you to worry about anything, okay?"

"I'm not," Caroline mumbled, picking at a stray thread from the hem of her tank top.  "I've already got a couple of interviews lined up next week, anyway."

"Is that right?"  Caroline nodded - Kevin had returned her email to let her know that he'd forwarded her resume on to a handful of companies.  Two of them had already called her to come in the following week for preliminary interviews.  Oddly enough, she wasn't entirely cheered by the thought.  "Good for you, Care.  Good for you."

Mark shifted in his seat, gripping her elbow the way he used to when she was a kid and needed a pick-me-up during softball games that she was failing miserably at.  "Listen.  Don't sell yourself short this time.  You've got plenty to offer."

"Like my fancy USC degree?" Caroline asked, only half-teasingly, and to her surprise, Mark shook his head. 

"No, Caroline, more than that."  He sighed, turning in his seat to look out at the sun beginning its descent in the sky.  "You're a smart, capable person.  And you're determined.  You don't just give up on things you're passionate about.  That could never come from a degree."

Caroline stared at her hands, knowing that she should feel complimented, but instead just felt ashamed.

Before Mark could continue, Cathy stuck her head out the door.  "Darling, it's time to cut the cake!  Come blow out your candles!"

Mark grumbled as he got to his feet and motioned for Caroline to stay seated.  "No, I don't want you to see this.  She probably put all 58 candles on the cake...demoralizing."

Caroline smiled and lowered herself into her dad's vacant chair as he disappeared inside.  She picked at her nails and stared out at the dying sun until her eyes burned.  You don't just give up on things you're passionate about.

What a load of shit.

Her dad's words still ruminating in her head, she didn't notice her mom step out onto the deck.

"Hello, Caroline." 

She glanced up to watch see Janice taking the chair next to hers.  "Hey, Mom."

For an interesting twist to the day, Janice had been quite an unassuming presence at the party as yet.  Maybe the brief brush with death had calmed her down, but Caroline had never witnessed her mother being so...affable.  She'd drifted along inside, talking with guests, not complaining about anything or making any kind of a scene.  It was a nice change, but Caroline would be lying if she didn't admit that she was waiting for something, anything to set her off.

"Nice weather out today," Janice remarked, motioning towards the sunset. 

"Yeah, it is."

"Such a lovely party too," she continued.  "So nice of Cathy to invite me."

Caroline nodded slowly, watching her mother's expression carefully.  It seemed she was trying hard to be extra gracious for some reason.  "Yeah, definitely.  It was nice of her to get that gluten-free crust, too, huh?"

Janice nodded.  "Yes, yes it was."

A few moments of silence passed and Caroline started to feel thirsty, wishing for something to drink, but for some reason, she knew not to interrupt this moment that had started between her and her mother.

"Cathy is a kind person," Janice said suddenly, looking thoughtful.  "She's a very giving spirit."

"Yeah, definitely," Caroline agreed, unsure of where the conversation was going.

"I think that, perhaps, that is one thing your father saw in her that he never saw in me," Janice continued.  "I'm afraid I was rather argumentative and selfish throughout our marriage."

Caroline thought about trying to protest for politeness' sake, but instead, she just listened.

"I've been thinking a lot lately.  Since I was able to come home from the hospital, in fact."  Janice clasped her hands together in her lap as she spoke, looking out at the sunset rather than at her daughter.  "And it seems to me that I have not been much of a mother to you, Caroline."

"Mom-"

"No."  Janice held up her hand.  "It's true.  We've never gotten along as much as I wanted us to.  Caroline, did I ever tell you how I wished and prayed for a daughter when your brothers were young.  And when you finally came," Her face took on a wistful look, "oh, you were so beautiful, with that dark hair and those big, expressive green eyes.  But... I hardly knew what to do with you.  You were so like your father, hardheaded and practical.  I loved you so much, but I felt that I could never reach you."

Janice reached across the small gap between the chairs then, holding her hand out towards Caroline, who reluctantly placed her own hand in her mother's.  "I thought maybe it would get better when you got older, that you would understand me more.  But then your father and I divorced, and it was like you grew even further away from me."

She reached up to wipe her eyes, and Caroline looked away, embarrassed.  She had seen her mother cry quite a bit over the years, but it had never been this genuine.

"You were always such a little enigma to me," Janice admitted.  "You still are.  But I want to try harder, Caroline.  I do.  Give me a chance to make up for how difficult I've been with you?  Please?"

Caroline glanced at her mom, at the desperate look on her face.  "Okay.  We can try."

Janice squeezed her hand with a smile.  "Thank you, darling."

"Yeah."  Caroline pulled her hand back to her own lap and chewed on her bottom lip.  Sure, her mom's speech was touching, but there had been others over the years.  She'd learned not to get her hopes up too quickly. 

"Now, won't you tell me what's bothering you?"  Janice turned in her chair to face her daughter fully.  "I can sense that you're not feeling restful."

Caroline bit back a laugh.  That was one way to put it.  "It's nothing, Mom.  It's just been a rough week."

Janice didn't take her placation like the others had.  "Caroline, please.  You have to meet me halfway."

Caroline sighed.  "Mom, I got dumped.  Life sucks.  What do you want me to say?"

To her surprise, Janice shook her head.  "No, that's not what's truly bothering you.  It's a man, yes, I can tell that much, but it's not Brandon."

Caroline tried not to convey how shocked she was - firstly, that her mom even knew Brandon's name; secondly, that Janice had seen through her half-assed façade. 

"I don't..."

She caught her mom's pleading gaze and the excuses seemed to fade away.  Caroline leaned back in her chair heavily, resting her forehead in her hand.  "It's really...not even worth talking about."

"Tell me, Caroline," Janice suggested.  "Sometimes just talking about it can cleanse your spirit."

Caroline didn't know if she wanted her spirit cleansed, but somehow, without really knowing how, she started to spill the story.  She told her mom how she had more or less despised JC at first, with all of his annoying habits and his tendency for rudeness.  She told her  about when the playing field had seemed to shift somehow, after their trip to Vegas, and how Brandon had seemed to sense the changing tides even before she had.  As she retold the story, it was easier to see the things she had missed - the way her relationship with JC had evolved, as naturally as ever.  In fact, she felt kind of stupid for not seeing it before.

When Caroline finished, she was drained, but maybe her mom was right about the whole spirit-cleansing thing, because there was a definite air of relief, of refreshment.  Sure, things were still a shitstorm but at least she'd told someone about it.  She rested her head against the back of the chair and waited for her mom to start shooting a bunch of spiritual advice at her.

Instead, she asked one question, one that rocked Caroline to her core.

"Are you in love with him?"

Caroline sat up straight, like someone had jabbed her with a hot poker.  "What?"

Janice looked unconcerned by her reaction.  "It's a simple question, and I think a very good one, given the circumstances."

Caroline frowned, shaking her head.  "That's not even...that's really not what this is about.  I mean, I'm attracted to him, yeah...but that's really...I mean, it was more physical than anything else...it wasn't like a...romantic thing."  She hadn't stumbled over her words this badly since her freshman year public speaking class, and Caroline rubbed her forehead.  Janice watched her, looking tranquil.

"Did you sleep with him?" she asked casually.  Caroline gasped.

"Mother!"

"Well?  Did you?" she repeated, and Caroline shifted uncomfortably.  She had never had any sort of sex talk with her mother - she'd taken the obligatory sex ed in school, and her dad had once tried to sit her down and explain uncomfortably what condoms were, but Caroline had figured most of it out on her own.  She'd never discussed any kind of intimate subjects with her mom - Janice must have known that she was having sex, she'd lived with a guy, after all, but...this was crossing the line into uncomfortable territory.

"Caroline, it's a simple question," Janice said.  "I'm not going to judge you."

That's a first, Caroline thought, but answered the question anyway.  "Yes, I did.  But it doesn't matter, it didn't change anything . I'm still fired, I'll probably never see him again."  She shrugged.  "Case closed."

Janice frowned.  "Since when do you give up so easily?"

Mark's earlier words repeated themselves in her head and Caroline squirmed.  "What do you mean?"

"You're a stubborn girl, Caroline," Janice clarified.  "You always have been.  I guess I just don't understand why you've chosen to walk away from something like this, someone that obviously means quite a bit to you."

Caroline shook her head.  "It's not like that."

Janice pursed her lips.  "Say what you will, but I've lived many years.  I can see it in your eyes."

Caroline didn't want to know what "it" was, so she didn't ask. 

"Just do me one favor."  Janice took Caroline's hand again, holding it tightly this time.  "Ask yourself something, and I mean really ask yourself.  Is this something that you can live with?  Is this something you can give up on and just forget about, or are you going to spend the rest of your life wondering what would have happened if you had just tried?"

Janice didn't wait for Caroline to respond, just squeezed her hand once more and stood up to head inside.  Caroline listened to her footsteps fade away and stared out at the twilight, sitting alone in the fading night.  

She didn't know how long she sat out there, but Seth was the one to finally track her down.

"I thought you snuck out or something," he remarked, leaning against the railing opposite her chair.  "Jesus, are you okay?  You look like you just saw a ghost."

Caroline realized that she did indeed feel rather clammy, and shivered.  "Just cold, I guess.  I didn't realize how long I'd been out here."

"You missed cake.  Cathy even got a little vegan one.  Mom said it was good."  Caroline nodded, not really caring.  "Was she out here with you?" Seth asked.

"Yeah, for a little bit."

Seth sighed.  "What'd she say this time?"

Caroline shook her head.  "Nothing, actually.  It wasn't...she wasn't too bad."

Seth's eyebrows raised.  "Huh.  That's a first.  Hey, did you hear Daph creaming me at Guitar Hero?  I'm way outta practice."

She forced a smile.  "Yeah."

"Alright, you're freaking me out a little bit, but I know you don't want me to keep pestering you about being okay."  Seth pushed off of the railing and headed for the door.  "If you want a ride home, I'm leaving in like fifteen minutes."

Caroline made her way back inside to say goodbyes.  Her dad gave out his perfunctory side-hug and a kiss on the top of her head.  Cathy embraced her fully, leaving Caroline awash in the scent of Estee Lauder.  Janice, on the other hand, held her daughter a bit longer than normal and gave her a meaningful look after pulling away. 

"Stay in touch," she urged, squeezing Caroline's hands.

Once in Seth's car, he turned to look at his sister strangely.  "Okay, what was up with that?"

"With what?" Caroline asked, buckling her seatbelt.

"You and Mom.  That was weird.  She gave you like, a look.  Seriously, what happened?"

Caroline sighed and turned to stare out the window.  "She gave me some advice, that's all."

"Oh."  Seth turned the car on and waited until he'd pulled out of the driveway to speak again.  "About, uh...everything?"

Seth didn't know the real reason for her unemployment, either, but Caroline had a feeling he'd inferred more than she'd wanted him to about the details of her relationship with JC.  He'd kept his mouth shut though, which she could appreciate.

"Yeah.  Everything," Caroline said softly, watching streetlamps pass by as Seth headed towards the freeway.  Now both her father's and mother's words were echoing frustratingly in her head.

"So?  Are you gonna take it?" Seth asked, glancing over at her.  Caroline didn't answer for a few seconds.

"No, I don't think so."

Seth's heavy sigh filled the car.  "Alright, Care.  Do what you want."

 

chapter 22 by rebeccan

One year later

 

"Are you headed out for lunch?"

Caroline glanced over her shoulder at her coworker, Sophie.  "Yeah, after I drop off these contracts with Marcy.  Did you want to come?"

Sophie glanced at her watch and sighed heavily.  "Can't.  I've got a deadline riding my ass something fierce."  She closed the lid to the copy machine with a shrug.  "See ya, Caroline."

Caroline waved and continued on her way to the elevator.  All around her, people swarmed throughout the busy offices, phones ringing, copiers running.  She passed through all of it easily and paused at a glass door in the center of it all.  Marcy, her boss, was on the phone inside, but she motioned her in, anyway.

Caroline sat across from the modern looking desk and crossed her legs, waiting.  Marcy finished up her phone conversation and hung up, giving Caroline her complete attention. 

"Please tell me it's good news," she said, looking exhausted.  "I've had the worst day already and it's barely noon."

Caroline smiled and slid the file folder she held across the table.  "Bennett just faxed these over from New York.  He's adjusted the terms quite a bit."

Marcy flipped open the folder and scanned the first page, a smile spreading across her usually-frowning face.  "Perfect.  This is great work, Caroline.  Good job talking him down."

Caroline lowered her head slightly at the praise.  "Even with these figures, our budget should even out really nicely in September."

"Corporate will definitely be pleased to hear it," Marcy said.  "Thanks for bringing this by."

"No problem."  Caroline stood and headed for the door.  "I've got a meeting with accounts receivable after lunch, did you have any notes for me?"

Marcy waved her away.  "No.  I know you can handle it.  Enjoy your break from the madness."

Caroline weaved her way back through the office that never seemed to calm down, heading for the elevator.  Even though it was lunch time, she was the only one inside - she'd learned quickly that most people with publishing deadlines tended to wolf down whatever they could get at their desks.  Thankfully, the nature of her job allowed her a full hour to get out of the busy building and take a breather.

The office was just a couple blocks away from a few cafes and coffee shops, so Caroline fell into step with the rest of the crowd on the sidewalk, taking her phone out of her bag when it vibrated inside.

She was busy rolling her eyes at a text message from Seth complaining about her cat when she ran into someone head on.  Not expecting the impact, she stumbled backwards and nearly lost her footing in her stilettos.  Someone, presumably whoever she had run into, grabbed her forearm before she could fall all the way to the ground.  Her phone, however, clattered to the sidewalk.

"You okay?"  Caroline nodded as she bent down to pick up her phone before someone stepped on it. 

"I'm fine.  Sorry, I was..."  Her words trailed off as she met a pair of familiar brown eyes.  "Oh."

"Hey, Caroline."  Brandon looked just as surprised to see her as she did him.  "Wow.  Long time no see."

"Yeah."  Caroline's voice came out embarrassingly high-pitched, and she cleared her throat.  "Um.  How are you?"

Brandon put his hands in his pockets and shrugged.  "Pretty good, actually.  You?"  He looked different, but the same...his hair was shorter and he looked a little bit more tan, like he'd been surfing or something.  But he was still wearing Chucks and his black Dickies and a threadbare gray t-shirt, like nothing at all had changed.  Even though everything had.

"I'm good, yeah."  Caroline adjusted the strap of her bag over her shoulder and moved aside as a passerby bumped her rudely.  "I guess we're in the middle of the sidewalk."

"I guess so."  Brandon smiled, and it wasn't forced, but warm.  "So I'm fully expecting you to say no, but...do you want to get some coffee?  Catch up?"

He glanced her over, eyes lingering on her expensive leather bag and tailored pencil skirt.  "Unless you're...you know, busy."

"No.  No, not busy."  Caroline shook her head and cleared her throat again, trying to force herself to get complete, articulate sentences out.  "I was actually just heading to lunch, so I have time."

"Great."  Brandon motioned in the direction she had originally been heading, and together, they walked to the Starbucks on the corner. 

"Is this okay?" Caroline asked, gesturing at the green and white logo on the glass window.  "I know you hate places like this, but the nearest actual coffee shop is a good two blocks from here."

"This is fine," Brandon said with a smile. 

He held the door for her on the way in, and paid for her coffee, even when she tried to protest.  Caroline figured she'd have to pick up some food on her way back in - there was no way she was comfortable enough to sit and eat in front of her ex-boyfriend.  She stirred sugar and cream into her cup and thought about the phrase - she hadn't really ever thought of Brandon as her "ex"...hell, she hadn't really thought of Brandon at all in what seemed like forever. 

He glanced suspiciously at her pale-colored coffee when she at the table across from him.  "Does Starbucks stock soymilk now?"

"Actually."  Caroline took a sip and shrugged.  "It's cream."

Brandon's eyebrows seemed to shoot all the way up into his hairline.  "You're kidding."

Caroline had to chuckle at his reaction.  "Nope.  I've started...reintroducing some things here and there."

He shook his head.  "Shit.  If I had known, I would have taken you for a cheeseburger."

"Well, I haven't quite gotten around to much red meat, yet," she admitted.  "Mostly just dairy products and chicken for now.  Seth took me for sushi a couple weeks ago, it was...interesting."

Brandon laughed and sipped his latte.  "I have to say, I'm shocked.  But good for you."

Caroline just shrugged.  "It's a change, but...life's different now."

The statement could have made the air around them uncomfortable, but Brandon didn't let it.  "It sure is.  So...where are you working these days?"  He motioned at her clothes.  "You look...great.  And you cut your hair.  I don't think I've ever seen it that short."

Caroline reached up to finger her chin-length bob self-consciously, ignoring his subtle reference to the time they'd spent together previously.  "Yeah.  It's certainly easier to take care of."  She took a sip of her coffee before answering his question.  "I'm an assistant financial controller for a publishing house.  We're a small division of HarperCollins."

Brandon nodded slowly, looking impressed.  "Wow.  Sounds fancy."

"It's not, really," Caroline assured him.  "Just a title.  I'm mostly a supervisor, I oversee payroll and accounts payable and receivable.  I like it, though.  It's a different environment than I pictured myself in, but I think it's a good fit."

Brandon smiled.  "That's awesome."  He asked a few more perfunctory questions about her job and what else she was up to.  She told him about moving out of their old apartment (more like sneaking out before the lease was up) and getting a small house in Rampart Village with Seth.  He asked about Moo, and even her parents.

"So what about you?"  Caroline asked finally, feeling like she'd taken up nearly a half-hour talking about herself.  "Where are you living these days?"

"Now, I'm in east LA, with Dave.  But I was with my dad for awhile," Brandon replied.  "Longer than I thought I would be."

Caroline knew firsthand that Brandon's relationship with his father had been strained ever since he'd quit law school.  She'd only met the man once in their four year relationship, and it hadn't exactly been a barrel of laughs.  "How did that go?"

"Eh."  He shrugged.  "It is what it is.  We're actually better now than we have been in awhile.  Honestly, I mostly spent all my time slumming around on the beach.  I did a lot of surfing, and painting, and wrote a shit ton of songs."

That made sense.  Brandon had always been the type of person to channel his emotions into art.

"A lot about you," he acknowledged, looking only slightly sheepish.  "So, you know...no hard feelings."

She laughed.  "None at all.  Are they pretty mean?"

"The worst of it will never see the light of day," Brandon said.  "But there's some sad stuff.  The guys made me cut a lot of it, too depressing."  He held his hands out like a peace offering.  "I just...don't want your feelings to get hurt, if you ever hear any of it.  Breakups are some of the best fodder for songwriting, anyway."

"So you should really be thanking me?" Caroline pointed out, and Brandon laughed good-naturedly.  "So things with the band are going well, then?"

Brandon nodded, pushing his coffee cup aside as he folded his arms over the table.  "Actually, yeah.  Things are really good.  We haven't been playing live too much lately because we've been in the studio so much."

Caroline frowned.  "You're recording?"

Brandon half-smiled, looking perplexed.  "Yeah.  We got signed, Caroline."

Now it was her turn to raise her eyebrows.  "No way!  That's awesome!"

"Yeah."  Brandon laughed and looked at her strangely.  "You didn't hear?"

Caroline shook her head.  "No."  There really was no one she could have heard from...she hadn't really had any contact with any of their mutual friends since they'd broken up.  "That's really exciting.  What label?"

"Just a small indie label down in San Diego," Brandon replied.  "But honestly, it was all JC's doing."

Caroline's spine prickled oddly and her insides rolled uncomfortably.  "What?"

"Yeah."  Brandon shook his head like he still couldn't believe it.  "I thought it was so crazy when he showed up at one of our gigs last winter...I can't believe he didn't tell you."

Caroline raised her coffee cup to her lips but lowered it just as quickly.  She felt like anything she put in her stomach would come right back up.  "I, um...I haven't talked to him in a while," she said, folding her hands in her lap so Brandon wouldn't see them shaking.  He stared at her blankly.

"What do you mean?  You guys aren't together?"

"We were never together," Caroline said slowly, and the words hurt out loud just as much as they hurt inside.  Brandon just kept staring at her.

"You're kidding me."

Caroline shook her head.

"Jeez."  Brandon leaned back in his seat.  "This whole time I thought..."

"What?" Caroline asked, her voice nearly cracking.

"I guess I thought that he did it because he felt guilty," Brandon said.  "About...everything."

He motioned between the two of them and Caroline was glad he didn't elaborate.  "He did...what?"

"Well, he showed up at one of our shows last year," Brandon explained.  "At some bar down in West Hollywood.  I saw him from far away and thought maybe it was some weird coincidence, but he tracked me down.  He had this dude with him, an A&R rep from Universal.  He introduced the guy to me and that was pretty much it...but he's really the whole reason we got signed."  Brandon shrugged.  "I really thought it was because of you.  Either you talked him into it, or he did it to make up for everything that happened."

Caroline stared blankly at the tabletop, unable to meet Brandon's eyes.  She had no doubts that JC had done it because he felt guilty.  She swallowed thickly.

"So..." Brandon held his hand open across the table towards.  "What happened?"

"What do you mean?" Caroline asked quietly.

"Well..." He laughed humorlessly.  "Caroline, come on."

Now feeling uncomfortable, Caroline glanced up at him.  "What do you want me to say?  Okay, you were jealous of him.  That's reason you left.  I get that, but I guess you didn't read things right after all."

She knew her words were harsh, but Brandon didn't flinch.  "Caroline, I didn't leave because I was jealous of him."  He shifted in his seat.  "I mean, I was, but that was just a side effect of the heart of the matter."

"The heart of the matter?" Caroline echoed, confused.

"Yeah."  Brandon shrugged.  "You were in love with him.  I left because I could see that.  Somewhere along the line, we fell out of love and you...you found him."

His announcement made Caroline feel wary, like someone had cut open her brain and was peering at her innermost thoughts.  She didn't know what to say, so she didn't say anything.

"So," he said again.  "What happened?"

Caroline didn't necessarily want to tell him, she knew she didn't need to, but somehow she found herself sharing the barest details of what she'd come to know as one of the biggest mistakes of her life.  It wasn't something she talked about or thought about, ever, but it was what it was.  She'd made her choices. 

"You just...left?" Brandon asked when she'd finished.  "You didn't even try?"

Caroline grimaced.  "I was protecting myself, okay?  I didn't want to end up like...all of his groupies or the other girls before me.  For all I know, I did him a favor."

Brandon just stared at her, a half-smile on his face.  "But that's the thing, Care, you don't know.  You never will know, because you never took that chance.  And you can't tell me that he never felt a thing for you.  Because if he hadn't, he never would have shown up at our gig like that, and you know it."

She shook her head, as if trying to keep his words from entering her mind.  "That could have been anything.  Maybe he just liked your music."

"Maybe," Brandon allowed, but she could see in his expression that he wasn't about to fold.  "Hey, it's none of my business, truly, but...I can see that you're still hurt, and it's been...what, a year?"  He smiled sadly.  "How long did it take you to get over our breakup?  A couple months?"

Caroline didn't respond but she knew he was right.

"Look, Caroline."  He leaned across the table towards her again, like he was about to tell her a secret.  "I loved you, so much.  I still do.  And leaving wasn't easy, it wasn't the choice I wanted to make.  I was fucked up over it for awhile.  But when it came down to it, I just kept remembering what you said to me on our first date, when we were up on that building."  He cocked his head at her.  "When I told you about my internship.  Do you remember?"

She nodded slowly.  "Yeah."

"You said that nobody can live a life that they're not meant to lead," Brandon recited.  "That it would drive you crazy, make you miserable.  I think that applied to our relationship, and I think that applies to you, now."

Brandon leaned back and glanced at his watch.  "Just...something to think about.  I gotta get going, but... let me say one more thing, and promise you won't punch me in the face."

Caroline rolled her eyes but nodded for him to go ahead.

"The Caroline I knew, the Caroline I loved, never would have just given up on her dreams," he said, his face somber and sincere.  "I watched you fight through school, through finding a job, and you never once got frustrated and walked away.  You've never been a quitter.  Our relationship ended because it was time, I get that, and I'm okay with it now.  But you know as well as I do that your feelings for JC played a part.  So why would you just let that go?"

It was a rhetorical question, and that was a good thing because Caroline didn't have an answer for him.  She watched numbly as Brandon got up and tossed his paper cup in the trash.  He put his hand on her shoulder.  "You okay?"

Caroline wasn't sure, but she nodded anyway.

"I'll see you around," he said, giving her a friendly smile and a wink, and Caroline thought that maybe this time he meant it.  She sat still, watching him disappear out the door and down the street.

After what felt like forever, Caroline finally stood and walked back to her building.  She smiled and said hello to people who greeted her, but she didn't stop to chat longer than necessary.  When she was back in her office, the door closed behind her, Caroline sat at her desk and picked up the phone.

Seth answered after three rings.  "Hello?"

"It's me."

"What's up?"

Caroline took a deep breath and picked at the corner of the ledger on her desk.  "Do you think I should try to contact JC?"

Seth hesitated for only a moment.  "Well.  Yeah.  I've always thought that."

She blinked.  "What?"

"Care, you love the guy.  It's pretty obvious," Seth pointed out.  "Is that really what you called about?  Where did this come from?"

Caroline ignored his question.  "You...you know I..." She couldn't quit bring herself to say love out loud yet.  "You know how I feel...about him?"

Seth sighed heavily.  "Okay, first off, it's been like a year and you haven't even tried to date anyone.  Plus, you avoid pop radio like the plague.  Remember that one time I tried to turn on MTV?  You almost had a conniption."

Caroline lowered her head until the side of her face rested against the cool surface of the desk. 

"Oh, God.  You're right."

"Are you just realizing this or something?" Seth asked.  "Shit, I knew you were suppressing it, but I didn't know how much."

"How come no one said anything?  I thought...I thought..." 

"Thought you had everyone fooled?"  Seth chuckled.  "That's a good one.  You may be good with numbers, but you've never been much of an actress."

"Does...everyone know?" Caroline whispered, suddenly feeling like the entire office could hear her conversation.

"Well, Mom does.  Cameron and Megan, definitely.  I don't know about Dad, but you know how he is.  He might just not be letting on."

Caroline sat up again, resting her chin in her hand.  "So what should I do?"

"Jesus, Caroline, you're not an idiot," Seth exclaimed.  "I figured you just needed time...a ridiculous amount of it, but time all the same.  Call the guy, for fuck's sake."

She tucked her office phone between her head and shoulder and fumbled in her bag for her cell phone.  She had it almost all the way out before realizing that she didn't have JC's number.  She'd thrown out the Blackberry he'd bought for her a long time ago.  "I don't know how."

"Hmm, that is a dilemma," Seth said sarcastically.  "Maybe you could use that little thing we call...the Internet?"

Caroline hung up on him and booted up her computer.  Like a dummy, she Google searched "JC Chasez", as if that would magically turn up a phone number.  Instead, she stared blankly at a screen full of search results, topped with a Wikipedia page and a line of pictures.  Even in thumbnails, she could tell that the majority of them were older shots.  She even recognized the outfits he was wearing in a couple of them, and wondered if it was embarrassing that she could pin down the exact events he'd been photographed at. 

"This is stupid," she muttered, scrolling further down in the search results.  

About four or five entries down, something caught her eye.  It was the name that had been on her paychecks, the name of the talent agency that Kevin worked for.  Feeling simultaneously anxious and excited, Caroline clicked onto the website and searched for a phone number. 

Fifteen minutes later, she'd talked to just about everyone in the company until she finally got on with Kevin's secretary.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Connell is in a meeting," she said, which Caroline knew was code for if he's not expecting your call, I'm not transferring you.  "Can I take a message?"

"Will you please inform him that it's Caroline Reed from HarperCollins?" she asked.  If there was anything she'd learned working for such a large company, it was how to field a business call.  "Something urgent has come up, and I greatly require his opinion on the matter."

Whether it was the company name drop or the word "urgent", Caroline wasn't sure, but the secretary sighed and said, "Just a moment."

A few minutes later, Kevin picked up.  "This is Kevin Connell."

"Kevin, it's Caroline Reed," she explained.  "I worked for-"

"Caroline, how are you?"  Kevin interrupted.  "Great to hear from you after all this time."

Caroline relaxed slightly, feeling as if she'd jumped a rather tall hurdle and trying not to think of all others she had left ahead.  "Yes, you too."

"How've you been?  How are you liking HarperCollins?"

Kevin, of course, had been the one to use his contacts to get her an entry-level position at the publishing company.  That position had led, slowly but surely, to the one she held now.  "I love it, Kevin, and you know I'll be forever grateful for your help getting my foot in the door."

"It's nothing," Kevin insisted.  "Now, what can I help you with?"

"Well."  Caroline splayed her hand out on the desktop and stared at it as it trembled slightly.  "I actually have a bit of a strange request for you."

"Oh?"

"I was wondering if there was any way you could help me get in touch with JC," Caroline asked, knowing that her words were coming out too fast but unable to stop talking.  "I know it's been forever, but I don't have his number or any way of getting a hold of him anymore, I don't even know his personal email address.  I guess I remember where his house is, but I don't know the gate code any more, and I know how private he is so..." She trailed off, realizing that Kevin had remained silent the whole time.  "And I know that you're probably unable to help me at all contractually, but if there was anything...if there was something..."

She forced herself to stop talking and waited.  Finally, Kevin cleared his throat.

"Well, you're right that I can't technically give you any useful information," Kevin conceded.  "I can tell you where to address fan letters to, but I don't think that's what you want."

"No," Caroline replied, feeling as though she'd tumbled head over heels all the way back to the bottom of the mountain, right where she'd started.  "I'm sorry to have bothered you, Kevin."

"No bother," Kevin replied.  "But I can tell you a few things.  For one, he sold the LA house.  He's been living primarily in Winter Park for the past nine months."

Caroline nodded slowly, taking it in.  "Oh.  I see."

"To be totally candid with you, while I do still manage JC's business dealings, I really don't see much of him anymore.  He's been lying low for a little while now, since MTV put America's Best Dance Crew on the backburner."

Caroline hadn't known about that - Seth wasn't lying about her affliction for anything MTV-related, more so now than ever.

"He's still writing and producing, of course, and he comes out to LA occasionally to work with an artist or two, but he's in Florida pretty much full time these days," Kevin finished.  "Sorry I can't be of more help."

"That's fine," Caroline insisted, staring blankly at her computer screen and trying to tell herself that this was just a sign, just the universe's way of telling her it wasn't meant to be.  "Um, thanks anyway, Kevin.  Good to talk to you."

"Sure, but Caroline?  Just one more thing."

"Yes?"

"Your company email," Kevin said, "is it listed on the HarperCollins website?"

"It is," Caroline replied with a frown. 

"Great.  Keep in touch, Caroline."  With that Kevin said goodbye, and hung up.  Caroline set her handset back in the cradle, feeling both confused and downtrodden.  She allowed herself just a few minutes of moping before getting back to work.  Her meeting with accounts receivable was in twenty minutes and she was barely prepared.

She was organizing her notes when a "ding" from her computer announced the arrival of new mail.  She opened up her inbox, seeing a subject-free message from an unknown Gmail account.

The contents were a Winter Park, Florida address, a phone number, and a sign-off in the form of a winking face.  Caroline was still smiling at the computer screen when her phone rang.

"Caroline Reed," she answered absentmindedly, still staring at the address.

"Caroline, accounts receivable is ready for you in the conference room," her secretary announced. 

"Great, thanks.  I'll be there in five."

Glancing at the screen one more time, Caroline turned the monitor off and pushed aside a few things to look again at her desk ledger, using her finger to trace over the days of the week.  She nodded to herself slowly.

"I'm going to do this," she murmured.  "I'm actually going to do this."
chapter 23 by rebeccan
Author's Notes:
Note: Well, this is it...the end! I'm kind of sad but happy to bring this story to completion.  I hope you guys enjoyed it - please let me know if you did! Sorry for the cheese at the end...I just couldn't help it!

"Why did I do this?"

The question was posed to the inside of her empty rental car, and the only response was Caroline's resulting sigh.  She stared at her shaking hands on top of the steering wheel and cursed her bad judgment.

All week, she'd been convinced this was a good idea.  She'd bought the plane ticket online, actually scoring a really good deal, and secured the days off with her boss (who was pleased that she was finally using up some of her stockpiled vacation days), the entire time ignoring Seth as he shook his head at her.

"I thought you wanted me to contact him," she'd pointed out.  Seth just shook his head.

"Yeah, contact.  Like, on the phone.  This," he motioned at her printed out itinerary and ready-packed carry-on bag, "is just a little extreme.  I mean, it's another state.  What if you get all the way out there and he wants nothing to do with you?"

Caroline had scowled at that.  "Thanks for the vote of confidence."

In spite of her brother's wariness towards her plan, Caroline knew this was something she needed to do.  She couldn't just call JC, because what if he didn't answer (and he probably wouldn't)?  And she couldn't just leave a message, because then it was up to him whether or not to call her back.  This was something that she needed to just...go for, after sitting around like a bum for a year and trying to pretend everything that had happened was just a figment of her imagination.  Her parents and Brandon were right - she wasn't a quitter.  When she was given a task, she followed through, and this was no exception.

Her good attitude remained on the way to the airport (Seth had dropped her off and slipped her a palm-sized fold of three twenties "just in case"), all through the four-hour flight (she'd been too hyped up to sleep or to notice her lack of first-class accommodations), and her arrival at Orlando International Airport.  The humidity hadn't even been a deterrent, although it hit her like a sticky wall as soon as she stepped off the plane.  She just yanked her short hair back into a ponytail and moved on. 

The car rental desk had been somewhat of a downer, as the incompetent girl behind the desk didn't seem to know what to do if Caroline didn't have a reservation.  Eventually, they'd found her a car, an old Dodge Neon that seemed to be barely hanging on.  Caroline pushed forward, tossing her bag in the backseat and retrieving the Google Maps directions she'd printed out before leaving home.

As it turned out, Winter Park was only fifteen minutes from the bustling metropolis of Orlando, and it was less of a town than a sparse, upscale community.  At least, Caroline assumed it was upscale - she couldn't actually see any of the homes from the street she was on because the driveways twisted off of out of sight beyond their large, imposing gates.  She continued off of Alberta Drive and onto Lakewood, driving slowly as she searched for numbers on the gates and realizing that this street was quite similar to JC's old Hollywood Hills neighborhood, just more flat and less...hilly.

It took her a ridiculously long time to figure out which house number was which.  In the end, she'd had to backtrack from a gate a block away (which had helpfully posted its number, 383) and use that to find 390, which was located at the furthest end of the dead-end street.  There was a gate, of course, and a keypad with an intercom posted out front.  Caroline parked her car out front, and then the real panic set in.

"Shit."

She looked down again at the printed copy of the email that Kevin had sent her, complete with its little winking emoticon, which now seemed to say so much.  Like "good luck actually getting in contact with him, he's a fucking pop superstar celebrity, sure he's going to run down his driveway to open the gate for someone he probably doesn't even remember or want to". 

Caroline crumbled up the email and tossed it in the backseat, taking a long drink from her bottle of water in the console and a few deep breaths.  She was capable,  she could do this.  And if it ended badly?  Well, she drove back to Orlando, got a hotel and licked her wounds.  That was doable.

Cheered slightly at the thought of a backup plan, yet desperately hoping she didn't need it, Caroline got out of the car.  The air in Winter Park was the same as the air in Orlando, hot and syrupy.  It was late afternoon, so the sun was starting to lower in the sky, but it felt hotter to Caroline somehow as it beat down on her back while she walked up towards the imposing blacktop driveway.  The gate seemed even taller and more intimidating up close, and she glanced around for cameras.  God, what if he was watching her right now?

She didn't see anything that looked like a security camera, so she did her best to shrug off the thought and peered through the iron gate.  All she could see on the other side was the continuation of the driveway, lined on either side with green grass that looked like it hadn't been mowed in a while.  A few hundred feet from the gate, the ground sloped slightly and hid the rest of the grounds, and any sight of the house.

Before she could second guess herself, Caroline hit the "call" button on the intercom.  She waited, not realizing that she was holding her breath until she needed to gasp for air.  She hit the button again, no response.  A brief crazy thought passed through her head and she considered trying the same gate code that JC had used in LA before cursing her stupidity - and what if it was right?  She couldn't just drive up to his house.  And clearly, he wasn't home.  Or was pretending not to be.

Caroline walked back to the car, trying to hold her head high even though no one was around to see her defeat.  She thought about the phone number that Kevin had forwarded her, the one she hadn't even tried calling, and wished that life was as easy as it had been in the beginning.

JC dug something out of his pocket.  "If you can come by the house tomorrow morning, we'll run through a few things.  Nothing too difficult."  He handed her a card.  "Address is on there, and my cell phone number.  There's a gate out front, but just text me when you get there and I'll let you in.  10:00 sound good?"

Caroline blinked, glancing down at the card.  Not only did the guy talk incredibly fast, he had also just told her to "text" him.  She wasn't great at judging appearances, but he looked to be her age or older...not sixteen.  Maybe he was gay.
 

She had to smile at the memory, but she cursed out loud when a few tears fell.  She was such a jerk.

Caroline leaned against the hood of the car, feeling altogether depressed.  Her plan was wrecked, JC wasn't home or wasn't answering, and there was no way to know if he ever would.  Sure, she could drive back to Orlando, get a room for the night, and come back the following day, but part of her knew that if she left now, it was over.  She wasn't coming back.

Why hadn't she just listened to Seth?  She considered calling him, he had never been as "I told you so" as Cameron had, at least not overtly.  She abandoned the thought as quickly as it came - she didn't want his pity.

Kicking at some stray gravel on the street, Caroline wondered if it was too late to get a flight back to LA.  She was cringing at the thought of getting on a place for another four hours when the sound of a car approaching snapped her out of her reverie. 

She saw the slate gray sports car turn onto the street from further down, and somehow she knew that it wasn't headed to any other house.  Her stomach flip-flopped but she didn't move a muscle.  It was hard to tell from here, but it clearly wasn't JC's Mercedes, and it didn't look like any other car he'd owned in LA.  Maybe he had a separate set of cars in Florida - how would one shuttle cars from state to state, anyway?

The car's engine practically hummed as it continued down the street towards her, but Caroline could barely hear it over the beating of her own heart and the rushing of blood in her ears.  Finally, it passed up every other driveway and was heading right towards her.  She had a brief moment of panic - what if he drove right past her without a second glance? - but didn't have time to pursue it, because the car came to a stop right in front of her. 

For a few seconds, the engine continued to run, and with the glare of the sun on the windshield, Caroline couldn't quite see inside.  Finally, the car shut off and the driver's side door opened, and Caroline somehow managed to stand, praying desperately that she wouldn't pass out.

JC got out, his expression unreadable, one hand on the door and the other on top of the car as he stared at her.  Caroline stared back, and the moment seemed to stretch on forever.

Finally, he spoke.  "Caroline?"

She swallowed the lump in her throat and forced a smile, hoping it looked less like a grimace than it felt. 

"Yeah."

Her voice didn't come out as loud as she'd wanted it to, and he probably couldn't even hear it, but she didn't get the chance to repeat herself.  JC walked around the car, heading straight towards her.  As he got closer, Caroline saw that he was smiling - just the tiniest hint of a smile, but it was there nonetheless.

"What the hell are you doing here?" he asked as he came up on her, but Caroline didn't have time to respond before he pulled her into his arms.  Her resulting relief was full-body tangible; she didn't hesitate to wrap her arms around his shoulders and return the embrace.  Comfortingly, he smelled the same as he always had, although he felt different beneath her hands - more muscular, maybe.

"Oh, you know.  I was just in the neighborhood," Caroline replied, her voice muffled against his shirt.  JC laughed, his chest vibrating against hers.

When he finally pulled back, his face inches away from her own, his smile had spread into a more genuine one.  He pushed a stray piece of hair behind her ear and Caroline tensed, but then, he stepped back.

"You wanna come in?" he asked suddenly, gesturing to the gate.  Caroline nodded slowly, glancing over at the rental car.  JC turned to head back to his own vehicle. 

"Just follow me up," he called over his shoulder.  Caroline got back into the car, her hands shaking so badly that she needed two tries to fit the key in the ignition.  She followed JC through the gate and up the driveway.  As it turned out, on the other side of the slope, the driveway led down just a little ways further to a large one-story house with a red-tile roof.  A gorgeous blue-green lake set the backdrop, and Caroline could see equally impressive houses on the opposite shore. 

There was a garage, but JC parked in front of it, and Caroline followed suit.  The house didn't look as fancy from the outside as his Hollywood home, and there was no one around trimming the bushes or mowing the grass, either. 

JC jogged over to her car door and opened it fully for her as she stepped out.  Caroline glanced down at her travel-weary dress (she'd shamelessly chosen the same red patterned sheath that JC had claimed looked good on her so long ago) and wondered just how terrible she probably looked.  She wondered why she hadn't thought to stop and freshen up somewhere.  

But JC didn't seem to notice.  "Well, welcome to Florida," he said, ushering her towards his front door.  "Is this your first time here?"

"Um, yeah."  Caroline glanced at him as he opened the glass-fronted door and held it for her.  "Kevin gave me your address.  You're not mad, are you?"

JC smiled.  "I'm not mad."

"Oh.  That's good."  Caroline stepped inside, the rush of cool air a contrast from the humidity outside.  Goosebumps popped up on her arms and she smoothed her hands over her skin self-consciously. 

The Spanish-tile floor of the entryway had no similarities to the cold modernity of JC's LA house.  From the entrance, Caroline could see all the way across to the French doors that led out onto the back patio, overlooking the lake. 

"Can I get you anything to drink?" JC asked, moving past her through the entryway and off to the side into what must have been the kitchen.  Caroline followed slowly, taking in her surroundings.  The open-air kitchen was a bit smaller than his old house, but it still had a counter island with barstools on the far side.  A rustic-looking table surrounded by matching chairs sat in a breakfast nook beyond, overlooking the view out back.  To the left of the kitchen, a sunken living room held a huge overstuffed sofa and loveseat facing a fireplace with a flatscreen TV mounted on the wall over it.

"Caroline?"  JC's voice echoed in her head and she turned to face him, standing in front of an open fridge.  "Do you want anything?  I've got water, orange juice, and beer."  He shrugged, looking sheepish at his lack of variety.

"Water's fine," Caroline replied.  A thud nearby startled her, and she turned to see a golden retriever pawing at the glass helplessly.  "You got a dog."

JC glanced towards the doors.  "Oh, yeah.  That's Charlie.  He's kind of a handful, but I haven't been traveling as much here, so we do okay."  He set a glass of ice water on the counter island near where she stood as he moved around her towards the door.  "Mind if I let him in?"

His arm brushed her side as he set the glass down, and Caroline swallowed.  "No, go ahead."

As soon as JC pulled the door open, the retriever bounded across the room towards Caroline, and promptly threw himself down at her feet, belly up. 

"You can ignore him," JC said.  "I know you don't like dogs."

Caroline crouched down to oblige Charlie with a tummy rub.  "It's fine."

After a few minutes, Charlie rolled over, and Caroline stood up straight again.  JC had taken a seat on one of the barstools, beer in hand, watching her.  Caroline took a sip of her water, feeling more than a little self-conscious as a few drops of condensation from the glass dripped down onto her collarbone.  Ignoring it, she sat down a stool away from JC.

"So."  JC fingered the label on his beer bottle idly.  "How are you?"

His question was polite and cursory but it made Caroline squirm in her seat.  "Oh, good.  I'm good.  And you?"

As JC responded, she wondered if this was how it would go all night.  Would they just continue in the same manner they always had, never once addressing the true issue at hand, choosing to overlook all the undertones?  She didn't know if she could take it.

"...so I just decided, what the hell, and I sold the house," JC was saying with a shrug.  "I think I lost money in the long run, especially because of all the sound equipment that-"

"JC," Caroline interrupted.  He stopped talking, giving her his full attention, and Caroline felt her palms begin to sweat.  "Don't you...aren't you going to ask why I'm here?  At your house?  In Florida?"

To her surprise, JC gave a nervous laugh, glancing back down at his beer.  "I thought you said you were just in the neighborhood."

Caroline sighed, rubbing a hand over her forehead.  "Well, I'm not.  I came here for a reason, and...I know it took me a year, but...you need to know that -""

"Wait."  JC held up his hand to stop her, and Caroline narrowed her eyes.  "Before you go on, I think...I think there's some stuff you should know."

Caroline watched, motionless, as he got up out of his seat and walked over to a drawer in the kitchen.  He rifled through it for a few seconds, and Caroline tapped her fingers anxiously against the countertop.  Finally, he found what he was looking for and made his way back over to her.  JC set a stack of something down on the counter in front of her, and Caroline squinted, realizing they were plane ticket stubs.

"What is this?"  Caroline picked up the stack and sorted through them - they were all from Orlando to Los Angeles, and seemed to take place all within the last year. 

"Since I moved out here full time, I've gone back to LA five times," JC explained, and Caroline noted that he wasn't quite meeting her eyes.  "Five times, and each time I was there, I wanted to contact you so badly."

He took the stack from her, flipping through to the first one.  "In January, I made it to the curb outside your apartment building.  I must have sat out there in the car for forty minutes, trying to tell myself that I could do it, that I could go up."  He sighed and set the ticket aside.  "But I didn't."

"In March," he continued, holding up the next stub, "I actually made it all the way to your floor.  I stood in the staircase like a stalker for a little bit and finally got out of there when I started to think that maybe one of your neighbors called the cops."  He set that ticket down and picked up a new one.  "April, I actually made it all the way to your door and knocked on it, but no one answered.  On the way out, I stopped at the building supervisor's apartment, and he told me you'd moved out in December."

Caroline thought about how close he'd been, how she might have only waited a month to move and she could have skipped this whole last miserable year, this ridiculous trip to Florida.  She clutched the hem of her dress in her hand. 

"He wouldn't give me your new address, but I may have, um, gone through the outgoing mailbox and saw a letter being forwarded to you," JC admitted, his face reddening a bit.  "So in June, I drove past your new house, but it happened to be right around the time your brother was getting there.  I kept driving so that he wouldn't see me.  I don't really do well with getting beat up."

Cameron would be more the type to throw punches rather than Seth, but Caroline didn't correct him.

"Last month," he said, holding up the last ticket stub, "I had a meeting with Kevin and he told me you were working for HarperCollins.  I found the building and made it all the way up to reception on your floor before I wussed out."

Caroline stared at the ticket stub, her jaw clenched.  Why did no one tell her these things?  He'd been mere feet away.

"So...what you need to know," JC said, pushing all of the stubs aside and staring down at the empty countertop, "is that I am a total chicken shit.  I had five opportunities, and I blew them all completely."  He finally met her gaze with a shrug.  "And if you want to leave now, I totally understand."

Caroline stared at him for a few moments, speechless.  Finally, she grabbed his shoulders and shook him slightly.  "I don't want to leave, you stupid jerk.  I came all the way out here, I flew to freaking Florida because...because I love you.  Why would I leave now?"

JC blinked, reaching up to place his hands on her elbows.  "Oh."

"'Oh'?" Caroline echoed.  "That's all you have to say, ‘oh'?"

He half-smiled, but shook his head, still looking dumbfounded.  "Caroline, I...I was such a dick to you.  God, I fired you.  I treated you like shit because I didn't...I couldn't..." He paused to sigh.  "I thought that when you left...I'd never see you again."

"That's what I thought, too," Caroline admitted.  "But I'm not a fucking quitter."

JC laughed, pulling her off the stool and into his arms.  "Are you sure?  Because I'm a serious headcase.  I can't...I don't know if I can give you everything that you deserve.  And you were right when you said I was afraid, I am afraid.  I'm scared to death of..."  He trailed off, shaking his head.  "I'm scared to mess things up.  And I'm a huge asshole."

"JC, I know you're an asshole," Caroline reminded.  "I worked for you, remember?  But the thing is, I always liked you in spite of that because I know who you are."

She placed her hand over his heart and sighed.  "Look, I know this is like a bunch of cheesy movie shit, but...I love you.  I didn't mean to, but I do.  Okay?  So you can either...live with it, or tell me to get out right now, because -"

JC silenced her with a kiss, his mouth covering hers and muffling her next words.  Caroline melted against him, wrapping her arms around his neck.  Jeez, she could practically hear the crappy orchestra music hit its magnificent crescendo in the ridiculous love story they were living out right now, but she didn't even care.  How could she?

When JC pulled back, he rested his forehead against hers.  "Sorry I fucked up."

Caroline smoothed her hands over the front of his shirt.  "It's okay."

"And sorry I fired you.  You were the best assistant I've ever had."

"You're just saying that because..." She trailed off and JC smiled at her.

"Because I love you?"  He leaned in to kiss her once more.  "Yes.  But it's still true.  The girl after you didn't even last two weeks."

Caroline winced.  "You didn't sleep with her, did you?"

"No," he assured her.  "And I haven't had another assistant since.  I've actually been doing a lot of stuff on my own."

"That's good, because I can't work for you now," Caroline pointed out.  "It would be total a conflict of interest."

JC smiled.  "Glad you finally see it my way."

Caroline's phone rang suddenly, disrupting the moment, and she smiled apologetically at JC before pulling it out of the pocket of her dress.  "Sorry...it might be work related."

JC raised his eyebrows and waited as she answered.  "Caroline Reed."

"Well?  What happened?" Seth demanded.  "Are you there?"

"Um, yeah, I'm here," Caroline replied.

"So?  Good news or bad?"

Caroline smiled as JC leaned in to kiss her neck.  "You'll just have to wait and find out."

A chorus of groans sounded in the background and Cameron's voice replaced Seth's.  "Oh, come on!  That's not fair!"

"What the hell?  Am I on speakerphone?"

"Yes," Cameron called back.  "Everyone's here.  We want the whole story."

"Sorry to disappoint you girls," Caroline said with a roll of her eyes.  "I'll have to call back later."

More groans sounded, but Caroline ended the call before her brothers could whine any further.

"Your family's gonna make fun of me so much," JC sighed.  Caroline set her phone down and shrugged.

"Yeah.  But I have lots of dirt on my brothers that I can share with you."  JC raised his eyebrows and motioned for her elaborate.  "Like...oh, Cameron took a ballet class when he was in junior high."

"Ooh.  That's good."

"I know." 

 

epilogue by rebeccan

"I don't know about this.  Remember what happened last time?"

"Well, that was a cheeseburger.  This is more expensive meat so it won't make you sick."

"I think that's just your way of justifying spending money."

JC tossed the package of steak he'd been holding back down into the cooler.  "Damn.  You wanna bust my balls a little more or are you done?"

Caroline smiled and picked up the steak again.  "I'm done."

"Thanks.  And remember what the doctor said about the extra iron..."

"I remember."  Caroline set the meat down carefully in their cart and moved on to the dairy section.  "What about cheese?  Should I be eating more cheese?"  She made a face as she picked up a vacuum-sealed package of sliced cheddar - she was still having trouble forcing herself to eat something that was basically mold.

"Calcium's probably good, especially since you hate drinking milk for some unknown reason."

"It's gross, it's so thick and weird and...gross," she pointed out.  JC nodded.

"I know.  It's gross."  He smiled at her then, leaning against the cart and giving her that look that made Caroline's whole body feel warm.  "How about yogurt?"

Caroline shrugged.  "Yogurt's okay."

She and JC were dissecting the important difference between plain and flavored yogurt when someone cleared their throat behind them.  Caroline stepped back, thinking they were crowding the display.

"Sorry, we're just..."  She reached for the cart, catching sight of the person who stood nearby.  "Justin!"

"Hey, you two."  Justin grinned widely as JC turned around.  "Long time no see!"

"Wow, man."  JC grabbed Justin's outstretched hand and pulled him into a genuine hug.  "So good to see you, seriously.  How are you?"

"Good, I'm good.  Can't complain."  Justin turned to Caroline when JC released him, eyeing her carefully.  "Well, shit.  I'd heard the rumors, but now I know it's true."

Caroline patted her protruding belly as Justin embraced her carefully.  "You got the invite, didn't you?"

"Yeah, yeah I did," he assured her.  "I really wanted to be there, but-"

"Teresa told us about the movie," JC interjected.  "I guess Russia is kinda far to fly back for one day."

"But for you guys, it would have been worth it."  Justin rested his hands on hips and looked back and forth between the two of them.  "Man. I just wanna remind you two that I called this, way back in the day."

Caroline and JC exchanged a glance.  "Sure you did," JC said.  Justin shook his head.

"I did. Now look at you guys...married and a baby on the way?  It's like a fairytale."  He leaned in conspiratorially.  "Be honest, was it a shotgun wedding?"

Caroline laughed.  "Almost.  We actually didn't find out about the baby until three weeks afterward, but by then I was already two months along."

Justin laughed loudly, and Caroline glanced around the deserted market.  There was a reason they chose to do their grocery shopping after midnight, and apparently Justin was part of that club as well. 

"That's classic.  Did your mom freak, C?"

JC nodded, grimacing.  "A little bit.  But she got over it pretty fast.  First grandkid, after all."

Justin glanced conspicuously into their cart.  "Don't tell me you're eating meat now?" he asked Caroline.

She nodded.  "Apparently veganism and being pregnant don't agree with each other," she said.

"Plus she craves the craziest things," JC added.  "Last Wednesday at like one am, girl decides she wants carne asada tacos.  I had to go out and find a taco truck in the middle of the night."

"It's a good thing you're back in LA, then," Justin noted.  "Not a lot of taco trucks in Orlando.  Where's the new place, anyway?"

"Marina del Ray," JC said.  "We looked at a few spots up in the hills, but this was closer to Caroline's parents.  And it's right on the beach."

"You should come over sometime," Caroline suggested.  "I'm still learning how to cook meat, though."

"I'll bring a pizza."  Justin grinned and glanced at his watch.  "It's getting late.  I'll let you guys get back to shopping, I really just came in to grab some milk.  But I'm glad I did."  He clapped JC on the shoulder.  "Let's get together soon, man.  I'm loving the new tunes, by the way."

"Thanks."  JC glanced at Caroline.  "I've got a lot of inspiration these days."

Caroline rolled her eyes at Justin.  "Don't we make you want to puke?"

Justin just smiled.  "Totally.  Bye, you two."

He grabbed a carton of milk and waved, heading for the front of the store.  JC turned to Caroline, feigning a hurt expression.

"I was trying to be sweet, honey."

"I get that, honey."  She patted his chest consolingly.  "You're plenty sweet, don't worry."

"I thought I was an asshole."

"You are, but I love you like that."  Caroline turned back to the yogurt.  "So is plain okay?"

"Whatever you want."  JC leaned in to kiss her cheek and smooth his hand over her rounded belly.  "I love you too much to argue."

"Okay, JC, now I am seriously going to puke."

 

 

The End

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2033