White Chocolate Mocha by azchickadee
Summary:

For my Secret Santa: Whit1210.  Merry Christmas!

For Whitney, this was going to be a Christmas she would always remember....


Categories: Challenges, Completed Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: None
Genres: Romance
Challenges: *NSYNC Fiction Secret Santa 2010
Challenges: *NSYNC Fiction Secret Santa 2010
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 17615 Read: 10766 Published: Dec 23, 2010 Updated: Dec 23, 2010

1. Chapter 1 by azchickadee

2. Chapter 2 by azchickadee

3. Chapter 3 by azchickadee

4. Chapter 4 by azchickadee

Chapter 1 by azchickadee
December 2010

"What do you mean there are no tickets?" Twenty-six year old Whitney Stanford asked, looking across the ticket counter.  "This is an airport, right?  You have planes sitting out there on the tarmac, right?" She continued, not giving the poor guy behind the counter a chance to answer.  "There are seats on those planes, right?  I need a ticket.  To L.A.  Today.  And I need you," she said, pointing at the guy.  "To find me one."

"I know you're upset, ma'am." The guy answered her in a calm tone.  "And I assure you, we are doing everything we can to make sure that everyone gets out of town and on to their destinations but there are a lot of people in line in front of you." 

Whitney groaned as the guy hit a few keys on his keyboard.  She folded her arms on top of the counter and laid her head down.  This day just kept getting better and better.  She couldn't believe everything that had happened the last six hours.  "Look," she said, raising her head and meeting the ticket agent's brown eyes.  She took a deep breath and attempted to remain calm.  "I know things are...ridiculous around here right now." She told him.  "Do you think I don't know what's been going on?  I wouldn't be here unless it was an emergency.  I wouldn't have spent the last two hours," she continued, her voice rising--giving in to her fear and frustration once again.  "In a cab that smelled like stale beer and old sweaty gym socks trying to get here unless it was extremely important that I get on an airplane today and get to L.A.!  I have to get on a plane.  There has to be a ticket somewhere.  I don't care what airline it's on.  I don't care how many stops I have to make.  I have to get to L.A.!"

"Ma'am," the ticket agent began, his voice calm and controlled.  Whitney knew what he was trying to do.  She had spent enough years working retail and customer service to recognize the techniques.  He was trying to calm her down--to diffuse her anger.  "I understand that you're upset.  I assure you we are doing everything we can--"

Whitney cut off his repeat of what he had told her earlier by slamming her hands on the counter.  "Find me a ticket." She ground out through clenched teeth.  "All I need is one ticket." She said, taking several deep breaths.  "Please."

The ticket agent looked at her for a moment then looked down at the computer screen hidden behind the counter.  He tapped away at the keys for a few moments, Whitney's control of her emotions growing slimmer by the second.  She jammed the fingers of one hand through her hair as she blew out a breath.  She caught some movement out of the corner of her eye and turned her head slightly.  Taking in the chaos around her, Whitney closed her eyes and sent a silent plea heavenward.  She was tired, hungry, and on the verge of a full-blown meltdown.  She hadn't gotten home from work until almost three this morning--the cleanup from the event she had been serving at had taken longer than usual--and she had been woken up, not three hours later, by her cell phone ringing.  Usually, she turned the ringer off when she went to bed but she had been so exhausted by the time she'd gotten home that all she had managed to do was peel off her serving uniform, slip into her favorite pair of sweats and her NYU hoodie, and crawl under the covers.  She had been pissed at first, being woken up after so little time asleep, but the anger had quickly given way when the caller identified himself and his purpose for waking her.  What had happened next was an hour of frantic packing and the longest--and most nauseating--two hour cab ride of her life, all culminating in her being here now.  At this ticket counter at JFK.  Just one more stranded passenger. 

The snow that had begun falling yesterday as she had left her apartment to go to work, and had continued steadily as the party her company was catering had gone on into the night. By the time they had gotten everything cleaned up and had been given the go-ahead to clock out, there was a good foot of snow on the ground-a fact that had surprised everyone.  The weather report was calling for the storm to worsen over the next couple hours, several more feet of snow predicted.  Though she wasn't a native New Yorker, Whitney was used to the snow.  She'd lived in New England her whole life.  She knew how bad winter storms could get but she hadn't been worried.  Tomorrow was Christmas Eve.  She had no plans until she had to be at work again at nine for the next party she was helping to serve at. 

A lot of the other waiters had asked for the night off, for their own Christmas Eve celebrations.  The owners of the catering company she worked for understood and didn't require anyone to work on Christmas Eve.  They did, however, offer double over-time pay for those who were willing to work that night.  Whitney eagerly put her name down on the list.  She had no plans and needed the money.  The last two weeks of the year were always her chance to make the majority of the money she needed to get her through winter semester until summer vacation. 

That had now all changed, however. 

The phone call Whitney had received three hours ago from that doctor in Los Angeles had changed her Christmas--and most likely New Year's--plans.  Now she was stuck at JFK, with a million other people, trying to get an impossible flight out of town.  Yesterday's snowstorm had indeed worsened as the weather report had predicted, the heavy snow fall shutting down the busy international airport for several hours.  TSA had finally given the airport approval to begin clearing flights an hour ago and everyone was clamoring for a seat.  Whitney understood there had been people stranded at the airport since last night when flights had begun to be delayed.  She understood that she was at the bottom of the list when it came to waiting in line for a flight out but she had to get out.  Surely, her plight trumped those who were just trying to get out of town to go on vacation.  Right?

"It looks like..."

The ticket agent's voice cut through Whitney's thoughts and she looked at him.  He tapped a few more keys, a pregnant silence hanging between them then looked up at her.  "It looks like there is an open first class seat on a United flight that leaves in..." a few more taps on his keyboard.  "An hour." 

"Okay." She replied, waiting for him to continue.  But he didn't.  Instead his brown eyes met hers again, waiting for her to say yea or nay.  "How much?" She asked, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth and wincing slightly--praying the answer he gave was less than the amount she currently had in her checking account.

"Twenty-six eighty-four." He answered. "With tax."

Whitney choked.

"Excuse me?" She sputtered in exasperation.

"Twenty-six eighty--"

"Twenty-seven hundred dollars?!" Whitney exclaimed.  "Twenty-seven hundred dollars for a single ticket?!  Where am I supposed to get twenty-seven hundred dollars?  I don't..." she let out a growl of frustration.  "I'm a student!"  She yelled.  "I don't have twenty-seven hundred dollars to spend on a plane ticket.  Who the hell do I have to sleep with around here to get a damn ticket to L.A.?"

As if on cue, like this was a movie or something, a masculine hand holding a slick, black, credit card appeared in front of her.  "If you have two tickets available on that flight," a smooth voice said.  "You can have my card right now." 

The ticket agent's eyes looked between Whitney, the man now standing beside her, and the credit card being offered him.  Whitney's eyes traveled up the arm that was incased in the sleeve of a dark grey wool coat attached to that hand, her head turning as her gaze continued to travel up--finally meeting the blue eyes of the man next to her.  Although the collar of his coat was popped up and a black baseball cap was pulled down low over his eyes, her jaw dropped as recognition washed over her and she stared at him, speechless.  This was no stranger.  

Whitney heard a few more taps on the keyboard.  "There is another seat available." The agent said.  "Do you want the seats?" He asked tentatively, hesitant to accept the credit card being offered him because of Whitney's reaction to this man's sudden appearance and offer to pay.    

"Yes." The one and only JC Chasez said, extending the credit card further toward the ticket agent.

"No!" Whitney exclaimed, reaching out to stop the transaction.  She put her hand on JC's arm.  "What...wait." She shook her head, trying to clear her muddled thoughts.  This was too much to process; to take in.  "What are you doing?" She asked, looking at the former-boyband-member-now-music-producer-and-reality-dance-show-judge. 

"I'm buying you a ticket to L.A." He told her matter-of-factly. 

"No, you're not!" She replied.  "What...why would you..." How was this happening?  Whitney looked around, feeling for sure she was dreaming.  Or being Punk'd or something.  Where was Ashton?  He could be hiding anywhere with how crowded and chaotic the terminal was right now...

"You need a ticket." JC said, his matter-of-fact tone continuing as he finally succeeded in handing his credit card over to the ticket agent.  The agent took it, gave Whitney a questioning glance, then went about booking the tickets.  "It's apparent that it's extremely important for you to get to L.A.--beyond the obvious excuse of it being Christmas."  Whitney stood there looking at him, unable to find her voice as he continued talking.  "I don't know what the reason is, but I want to help."  He said. 

"B-but..." Whitney stuttered.  "Why?"

He shrugged.  "Because it's Christmas." He said, finally giving her that knee-melting grin of his. 

Whitney felt a tingly, quiver in her stomach and had to force herself to take a step away from him.  Not a big step, but a step nonetheless.  She had to put some space between them in order to attempt to think clearly without being distracted by his adorable smile, incredible eyes, or the intoxicating scent of his aftershave now surrounding her.  She swallowed and cleared her throat.  "Thank you." She said, though those two words seemed woefully inadequate in response to his generous act of kindness.  "I don't...thank you." 

"You're welcome." He replied, a hint of a mischievous sparkle appearing in those dark blue eyes of his that made her suspicious.  "We'll discuss your..." he cocked his head to the side slightly as teasing smirk sliding across his face.  "...sleeping arrangements later."  He finished with a wink.  Whitney gasped and JC chuckled.  "I'm kidding." He said as the ticket agent asked them both for their ID then handed him back his credit card.

"Thank you, Mr. Chasez." The agent said, stapling a few pieces of paper together.  "I've got your tickets booked and you two are all set and ready to go." He said, giving them both a smile as he held out two boarding passes.  "Your flight is departing from C5.  Merry Christmas."

~~~~~~~   

Getting through security hadn't always been such a pain.  JC had spent more than half his life in and out of airports.  During NSYNC's heyday, JC had felt at times that he lived at the airport.  He had been in and out of so many--nationally and internationally--they had almost begun to feel as comfortable as his own house.  Almost.  After 9/11 lines had lengthened and tempers had gotten shorter.  JFK was usually a very stream-lined airport and getting through security only took a few minutes.  Today however, was different.  Only one line was open because of a shortage in TSA employees due to the weather.  Add to that an airport full of stranded travelers on Christmas Eve and the death glares being thrown his way as he stood in line holding a coveted boarding pass, and JC was reminded about why he didn't like to travel at this time of year.  Unfortunately, he had had no control over when Matt's album release party had been planned.  Who the hell planned a release party two days before Christmas?! 

The line moved, the other travelers lucky enough to get tickets moving forward.  He became separated from his unexpected traveling companion and felt a sense of anxiety as she moved ahead of him a few people in line.  She made it up to the checkpoint and he watched as she put her duffle bag into one of the plastic bins and unbuttoned the long, black, belted, woolen coast she was wearing.  She took off her shoes, putting them into another bin, as JC finally made it to the checkpoint as well.  He pulled his messenger bag over his head, placing it in a tub--his coat and shoes quickly following--as he kept an eye on her.  She stepped through the detectors then over to wait for her things to come through the x-ray machine.  JC moved to follow after her but was stopped as the TSA agent standing by the detector held his arm out, barring JC's way. 

"Please remove your hat, sir." The security agent said. 

"What?" JC asked, looking up at the man uncomprehendingly.  He looked through to where the girl he had helped was putting on her shoes and coat again. 

"Your hat." The TSA agent repeated, drawing JC's attention back to him.  "You need to take it off."

"Oh." JC said, quickly removing the hat and tossing it in the tub with his coat, shoes, and messenger bag.  "Sorry."  He apologized.  The TSA agent stepped out of the way, allowing JC to walk through the detector.  He stepped through, holding his breath for a moment.  It was silly, he knew, but there was always that split second of wondering if the detector was going to go off.  He wasn't wearing any metal, but he knew they were programmed to randomly go off to check passengers periodically.  Having to get a pat-down wasn't what he needed right now.

Nothing happened as he made it through the machine and he released the breath he had been holding as he moved over to where his stuff was.  Shoving his feet into his shoes, jamming the hat back on his head, and grabbing his coat and bag from the tub, JC turned to follow after the woman with the long, brown hair.  He pulled up short, however, when he found her standing off to the side--out of the way of the other travelers going through the checkpoint and apparently waiting for him.  She gave him a tentative smile, both her hands gripping the shoulder strap of her duffle bag tightly as it hung at her side. 

"You didn't have to wait for me." He said, even though he was glad she had.  He couldn't explain it, but he wanted to get to know this girl.  Something about her drew him in and no matter how he tried to fight it, he needed to be close to her. 

"Of course I did." She replied.  "How rude would that have been?  To just run off after what you did for me."  She shook her head and gave him a look like he was crazy. 

"Well," he smiled--a warm feeling spreading through his chest.  "You wouldn't have been able to run too far." He said as he set his bag down on the ground by his feet.  "We're sitting right next to each other." He said, reminding her.

"And that wouldn't have been awkward at all." She chuckled and he laughed with her.  "I'm Whitney, by the way." She said, releasing her hold on her duffle bag and extending a hand out to him. 

"JC." He said, his smile growing as he took her hand in his. 

"Yeah." She replied with a knowing grin.  "I know who you are.  I figured you should know who I was." She continued as he released her hand.  He watched as she lifted that hand to tuck some hair behind her ear.  "Since you just rescued me and all."

He shrugged as he reached down, picked up his bag, and put it over his head-the strap resting across his chest.  "It was nothing.  Happy to do it."  He smiled, shoving his hands into his pockets.  "It's not often a guy gets to rescue a damsel in distress these days."

Whitney's cheeks warmed slightly and she looked down at her feet.  "Thank you." She said, the sincerity of her words shinning in her eyes as she looked back up at him.  "I honestly wasn't sure what I was going to do." She told him.  "When he told me how much it was going to be for a ticket..." she trailed off for a second as she shook her head.  "I thought I was going to faint."

JC laughed.  "I thought you were going to jump over the counter and tear that poor guy's throat out." He teased.  Whitney groaned as she lowered her head--covering her face with her hands.  "I was really just doing it to save that ticket agent's life." He continued. 

"I'm so embarrassed you saw me acting like that." She said, lifting her head and lowering her hands as she looked at him.  "I don't normally explode like that."  She assured him.  "I've just..." she sighed, shaking her head slightly.  "It's...it's been a rough morning."

"Well," JC said with a smile as they began walking down the concourse toward their gate.  "It's Christmas Eve.  That should help.  And you're on your way to sunny L.A."

"Yeah..." Whitney nodded.  "I just wish it was under better circumstances." She mumbled under her breath. 

"What was that?" He asked, looking over at her. 

"Nothing." Whitney shook her head and silence fell between them.  They were almost to their assigned gate when she stopped suddenly.  JC was a few steps past her before he registered the fact she was no longer beside him.  He stopped and turned around, searching for her.  "Do you want some coffee?" She asked, pointing at the Starbuck's that was miraculously open.  JC had noticed, as they had been walking, that very few of the stores and restaurants in the terminal were open due--he assumed--like everything else, to the weather.  He wondered if the employees that had worked yesterday had been forced to remain at the airport overnight because of the snowstorm. 

A few of them looked like it and he felt a pang of sympathy for them.

"Uh..." JC paused.  "Sure." He said, reaching into his back pocket for his wallet. 

"My treat." She said, noticing what he was doing, then walked toward the counter.

"Thank you." He said.

"You're welcome." She replied, with a smile over her shoulder at him.  "It's the least I can do.  Can I get a Grande White Chocolate Mocha?" She asked the guy behind the counter.  The guy nodded at her as he picked up a cup and wrote the order on the familiar paper container.  "What do you want?" Whitney asked JC, looking over at him. 

"I'll just get what you're having.  That sounds good." He said as he turned and leaned back against the counter--watching as people walked up and down the concourse in front of him. 

"Make that two." Whitney told the barista.  The order was rung up and she paid for their drinks.  JC listened to the sounds of the coffee being prepared, his eyes turning from the other passengers filling the airport to the woman standing beside him--his mind wandering back to the night before.

 

JC looked around the crowded room, taking in the familiar sights and sounds.  He'd been to numerous release parties over the last twelve years--his and others'.  Each of them was basically the same.  A DJ keeping a steady dance beat going, a bartender keeping the alcohol flowing, and a crowd of people all wanting to have a good time.  The snow that had begun falling a few hours ago outside added to the festive atmosphere inside and everyone was in a celebratory mood.

Lifting his drink to his lips, his eyes once again scanned the crowd--stopping when he saw her.  He didn't know what had made him notice her before, but he had spotted the waitress soon after he'd arrived an hour ago.  She was pretty.  Her long brown hair hung down her back in a simple ponytail, swishing slightly from side to side as she moved around the room doing her job.  The room was full of waiters and waitresses from the catering company the record label had hired for the evening, but there was something about this particular girl that caught his eye and made him want to take a closer look. 

Her assigned area seemed to be on the opposite side of the room from where he was currently standing.  Throwing back the rest of his scotch, JC began making his way slowly through the crowd to where she was.  He was stopped several times by different people as he went, each wanting to say hi and talk.  He stopped and talked with each one of them but his eyes never left the waitress on the far side of the room.  He didn't want her to disappear.  It was crazy.  He'd never felt this strong pull to meet a complete stranger before.  He was almost to her when he was stopped again, this time with a hand on his shoulder. 

"JC!  Thanks for coming, man!"

He turned to look at the man beside him-the reason he was here tonight.  JC smiled as he returned the guy's hug.  "You're welcome." He replied.  "Congratulations!" He said.  JC looked over Matt's shoulder to where the waitress had been but she was gone.  He felt a stab of disappointment, but quickly pushed it away and focused his attention on his friend-the man of the hour-and tried to remind himself why he was there; why he had flown cross-country two days before Christmas to be here.  He was here to help his friend celebrate the release of his first album, not chase after attractive waitresses...

 

"Are you okay?"

JC was snapped out of his thoughts by Whitney's inquiry.  He straightened as he turned, focusing his attention on her.  She gave him a questioning look as she held out one of the two coffee cups she was holding to him. 

"Yeah." He said, taking the drink from her.  "I'm great." He smiled as he brought the coffee to his lips, watching her over the top of the lid as she did the same.  Whitney closed her eyes as she wrapped both hands around her cup and took a sip.  Swallowing, she released a happy sigh as she opened her blue eyes and looked at him.  She smiled at him and JC found himself smiling in return.  They began walking again, continuing on their way to their gate. 

"So," Whitney began, and JC looked over at her as they walked.  "At the risk of sounding like a crazy stalker, or something, why are you flying to L.A. on Christmas Eve?" She asked, adjusting the strap of her duffle bag higher on her shoulder and taking another sip of her coffee.  "I figured you'd be flying to Maryland or Florida to be with your family for the holiday."

JC chuckled.  "My parents decided they wanted to go on a cruise for Christmas this year and Heather and Tyler went with them."

Whitney looked at him in surprise, one delicate eyebrow rising.  "Why are you here in New York when you could be on a cruise right now?" She questioned as they reached their gate.  They found a bank of empty chairs and sat down to wait until their flight was called.

"Duty called." He replied with a sigh and a shrug of his shoulder.  Whitney looked at him in question as he took a sip of his coffee.  "I had a release party last night I had to go to." He explained, watching her closely to see if that sparked any kind of recognition for her. 

"Who decided to schedule a release party two days before Christmas?" She asked, watching him over the top of her coffee cup as she took a few sips.

"That's what I said!" He replied with a laugh.  "But," he shrugged.  "That's sometimes the downside to my career.  I've missed a lot of family trips over the years." He admitted.

"I'm sorry." She said in sympathy. 

"It's okay." He replied.  "You get used to it.  Although, I have to say I'm not nearly as disappointed about being here in New York instead of in the Caribbean as I was yesterday." He grinned at her and she smiled, her eyes dropping to her lap as her cheeks became tinged with pink.

"So, you're just going home to be alone on Christmas?" She asked, looking back up at him after a moment. 

"Yeah." He said with a shrug and a nod of his head.  "But it's okay.  I'll see them when they get back next week.  What about you?" He asked.  "Do you have family in L.A.?" He stopped as Whitney looked away from him again.  He sensed her discomfort at the subject and was reminded of her emotional display at the ticket counter earlier.  Whatever her reason for needing to get to L.A. it was a very personal one and if anyone understood about the want and need to keep certain things private, it was JC.  Though he had spent the majority of his life in the public eye he had tried his hardest to keep as much of his personal life as he could to himself.  It was the only way he could keep his sanity.  "Forget I asked." He said, wanting to put her at ease.  "I didn't mean to pry.  Your reasons for needing to get to L.A. are your own."

"No." Whitney said giving him a small smile.  "It's okay.  You just spent twenty-seven hundred dollars on me.  I think I owe you an explanation as to why it's so important that I get to California."

JC sat, watching her closely--waiting for her to continue. 

She took a deep breath.  "My brother's in a coma." She told him and JC looked at her in surprise.  Whatever her reason for needing to get to L.A. that hadn't been what he was expecting.  His jaw dropped a little.  "He lives in L.A." She continued.  "I, uh...I got the call a couple hours ago."

"Whitney, I..." JC hesitated.  He didn't know what to say.  What was he supposed to say to that? 

She nodded and forced a smile.  He thought he caught a slight quiver in her bottom lip before she swallowed and turned away from him.  She sniffed and took a sip of her coffee, trying to cover her emotions. 

"United flight 824 with service to Los Angeles is now boarding at gate C5."

The call came over the sound system and the people sitting around them began to rise.  Gathering up their things they began forming a line--anxious and more than ready to get on with their holiday travel plans.  Whitney did the same but JC remained seated, still shocked at what she had told him and searching for the right words to say to her.  For a world-famous songwriter, being at a loss for words was a rare thing for him and a feeling he didn't enjoy.

"Are you coming?"

JC looked up to find Whitney smiling down at him.  "Yeah." He said, standing and joining her.  "Let's get out of here."

Chapter 2 by azchickadee
Whitney walked over to the line forming in front of the open door to the jet way--JC following her--and tried not to freak out.  JC Chasez: her teenage idol was standing right behind her!  And not only that, he had shown up like a mythical White Knight with his shiny credit card a few moments ago and had purchased her plane ticket to L.A.  Add to that the easy conversation, smiles, and teasing they had shared while walking through the airport, and over coffee, and Whitney was extremely proud of the way she had been able to keep her reaction to the popstar in check.  Aside from her angry display back at the ticket counter, she had been the picture of cool, calm, and collected to anyone looking at her. 

Inside, however, it was a completely different story. 

Inside, she was a giggling, squealing, teenager who wanted to jump around and scream about what was going on.  It was like one of those cheesy, romantic, Christmas movies that had been on constant repeat on her TV ever since Thanksgiving.  Forget about the fact that her brother was currently in a coma in California, and the fact that she knew this wasn't a cheesy, romantic, Christmas movie.  She knew the ending to this story wasn't going to be like all those holiday love stories, but it still made her smile.  Her heart fluttered nervous and excitedly in her chest, and the fear over her brother's current medical condition was forgotten for a few moments.

She had been surprised that JC's presence hadn't caused a bigger stir at the airport, but everyone around them was too preoccupied trying to get to get out of town to notice a celebrity in their midst--though she didn't know how that was possible.  No matter her circumstance, she was certain she would notice and recognize the man whose face had graced her walls during high school and whose voice still had the power to lift her spirits when she was feeling down. 

The line of passengers jostled around her as the gate agent called for any first class passengers and JC nudged her from behind. 

"That's us." He reminded her speaking by her ear--his warm breath on her skin making her shiver.  Whitney attempted to cover it up by adjusting the strap of her duffle bag on her shoulder and followed after him as he walked toward the open door to the jet way. 

She handed over her boarding pass to the gate agent then entered the jet way after JC--her eyes moving over him from behind.  She had noticed the hint of grey at his temples and the lines around his eyes as they had been sitting and talking a moment ago.  It was obvious he was no longer a kid, but then again neither was she.  Age was treating him well, however.  He was getting better looking every year that passed and the grey in his hair made him look dignified and spoke of the incredible experiences he had had and the accomplishments he had achieved at such a young age. 

The stewardess greeted them as they reached the door of the plane.  Whitney smiled at the older woman and she and JC moved into the interior of the 757.  After stowing her duffle and coat in one of the overhead bins, Whitney looked at JC--who was already sitting.

"Do you want me to put those up here?" She asked, pointing at his coat and carry--on and forcing herself not to stare at the way his dark blue, long-sleeved sweater clung to his chest and arms.

"Thanks." He said, giving her a smile as he handed her his coat.  Whitney took it from him--forcing herself not to bury her nose in the material and inhale his scent--and stowed it with hers.  Tucking her hair behind her ears she sat down in the seat next to him and looked around at the first class cabin. 

She wasn't much of a flyer.  She had grown up in Vermont and, aside from her senior year trip to Miami for Spring Break, New York City was the farthest from home she'd ever been.  If this is how the other half lives, she thought looking around the cabin around her.  I could definitely get used to this.  A flight attendant appeared, asking if they wanted a pre-flight beverage.  Whitney asked for bottled water-a request JC echoed-as the other passengers began boarding.  She watched them all file past, empathizing the smaller, cramped accommodations they were going to have to endure on their cross-country flight.  

"So, Whitney." JC said, his voice drawing her attention back to him.  "Tell me what you do."

"Well, I uh...I work part-time for a catering company that does mainly corporate events and I'm in my first year of culinary school."

JC made a noise of interest, his eyebrows rising beneath the brim of the baseball cap he was still wearing.  "Are you specializing in a certain cuisine?" He asked, pushing up the sleeves of his sweater then leaning on the arm rest toward her.  His blue eyes held hers steadily and Whitney had to force herself to answer him.  All she wanted to do was just sit there and get lost in his eyes...but she couldn't.

"Not yet." She replied with a smile.  "Still just learning the basics."

"What's your favorite thing to make?" He asked.

"Uhm..." She thought for a moment then her smile widened as she answered.  "My grandma's home-made chicken pot pie."

Again he made a noise of interest, his expression showing his complete attention to her.  It was a little unnerving.  Who was she, that he was so interested in her?  She was nobody--a quiet girl from Vermont, going to school, living in a small apartment with a roommate, with dreams of one day having her own restaurant.  The flight attendant reappeared with their bottles of water.  Twisting off the top and taking a swallow, Whitney asked him, "Do you cook?"

JC chuckled.  "From a box." He replied.  "Just add water?" He asked.  "I'm your guy."

Whitney laughed.  "I thought I read somewhere that Food Network was your favorite channel." She said.

"You can't believe everything you read." He replied as he took a drink from his own bottle of water.

"So, that's not true?" She asked.

"I watch it occasionally." He admitted.  "But I don't think I'd go so far as to say it's my favorite." He continued.

"Okay." Whitney nodded with a smile.

"What made you decide to do culinary school?" He asked.

"My grandmother." She answered quickly.

"The one with the chicken pot pie recipe?" He questioned.

Whitney nodded.  "She was the one that taught me to love food and cooking, and it's always been my dream to open up my own little place back home."

"And where's that?" JC asked.

"Home?" She clarified.  He nodded.  "Vermont." She told him.

"Is the rest of your family flying to California from there?" He asked.

Whitney shook her head.  "It's just me and Jared now." She replied.

JC winced.  "Man, I keep hitting homeruns today." He said with an embarrassed chuckle.  "Let's see how many more painful topics I can bring up today." He muttered.  "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." Whitney assured him, reaching out to put a hand on his arm.  "My parents both died in a car accident about five years ago.  Jared was eighteen and it..." she sighed.  "It was rough.  Jared took off for California right after that and I--"

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is the Captain speaking." A voice came over the speakers in the plane, interrupting Whitney.  The plane began moving away from the gate as the Captain continued.  "We apologize for the delays you've been experiencing today but we've just been cleared for departure.  We should have a smooth flight and our estimated time of arrival in Los Angeles is three-fifteen, Pacific Time."

Whitney groaned softly and JC reached over, his hand taking hers.  "We'll be there before you know it." He said.  She looked down at where his hand was covering hers then up into his eyes.  He gave her a smile of reassurance, his fingers squeezing hers.  Whitney felt her lips turn up in a smile.  The flight attendants went through their routine, pre-flight safety information and Whitney tried not to think about the fact that her seat cushion could be used as a flotation devise in case of a water landing.  Flying had always made her nervous, the few times she'd been on a plane, and this was the longest flight she'd ever been on.  JC had let go of her hand as the plane moved out onto the runway and she gripped the armrests of her seat--her knuckles turning white as the plane increased its speed, finally lifting in take-off.  Whitney felt JC's hand cover hers again and she looked over at him.  He was watching her closely and she tried to force a smile. 

"Tell me about Vermont." He said.  "I heard there's some good skiing up there."  

JC kept her talking and laughing for the next hour, successfully keeping her mind off her flight anxiety.  It was like they had been friends for years, instead of having just met an hour ago.  The conversation was so easy between them that she soon forgot about who he was and her inner teenager grew used to the fact that he was really there and really talking to her.  After they were served lunch, however--a luxury Whitney hadn't know was still offered on flights--the lack of sleep from the night before finally caught up with her.  Unable to fight it any longer, she leaned her head back against her seat and closed her eyes. 

~~~~~~~

JC looked over as Whitney became quiet.  His lips turned up in a small smile at the sight of her asleep.  One of the flight attendants walked by and he stopped the woman, asking for a blanket for his sleeping traveling companion.  When the flight attendant returned with the blanket he unfolded it.  Putting it over Whitney, JC reached across her to the button on the armrest that would recline her chair.  Before he could put the chair back, however, she shifted in her sleep--her head coming to rest on his shoulder.  He looked down at her in surprise, a warm feeling spreading through him.  The flight attendant walked back through the cabin, stopping to ask if he needed anything else.  He looked down once more at the woman asleep on his arm and smiled. 

"Nope." He said with a shake of his head as he looked back up at the airline employee.  "I don't need anything else right now, thanks."

Reaching down for his messenger bag, and trying not to wake up Whitney, he pulled out the book he'd bought for his flight yesterday and settled back in his seat. 

~~~~~~~

Whitney woke with a start a few hours later as the plane suddenly hit some turbulence.  She gasped as she sat up, her hands reaching out to grasp the arm rests of her seat.  She heard a quiet chuckle beside her and turned to look at JC--her breath catching for a quite a different reason as she took in his slightly changed appearance.  His blue eyes looked at her from behind a pair of wire-rimmed glasses and Whitney suddenly forgot all about the plane's jostling from a second ago that had woken her up. 

Until the 757 shook again--causing her stomach to drop.  She closed her eyes and concentrated on taking several slow, deep breaths.

"Relax." JC said, his voice low as he leaned toward her. 

"Easy for you to say." She said as she opened her eyes and looked at him again.  "Some of us aren't as used to traveling as you are."  That adorable grin of his lit his face and she was certain she'd never seen anyone more attractive than he was at that moment.  It should be illegal to look that delicious. She thought.

"Did you have a good nap?" He asked.  She nodded, unable to find her voice as he continued to sit there looking at her intently.  "Good." He said.  He closed the paperback in his hands that, until that moment had gone unnoticed by her, and put it back into his bag at his feet.  Whitney felt a pang of disappointment as he then took off his glasses, putting them back into the bag as well. 

"I'm sorry." She said, finally finding her voice.  It cracked and she cleared her throat embarrassed.  She ran her hands over her face and combed her fingers through her hair, hoping she didn't look too much like a mess.

"For what?" He asked, pushing the sleeves of his sweater further up his arms.

"For falling asleep on you." She replied.  "You should have just pushed me over.  I'd have been fine sleeping on the floor."

JC laughed and Whitney couldn't help smiling in reply.  He had a great laugh.  "I didn't mind." He assured her.

Whitney felt her cheeks warm slightly at the way he was looking at her.  "Is...is your book good?" She asked trying to steer the conversation away from her. 

"It's okay." He replied with a shrug.  He leaned back in his chair and stretched his legs out in front of him.  "Not the best I've ever read, but certainly not the worst either."

"Do you know what time it is?" She asked feeling a little lost after her nap.  She watched as he looked at the thick, leather-banded watch wrapped around his left wrist. 

"Five." He answered.  "New York time."  He adjusted the time on his watch.  "We should be there in about another hour."

Right on schedule, the plane landed, taxied to the gate, and the seatbelt light was turned off.  Whitney and JC both stood and stretched.  After grabbing their bags and coats, he followed her off the plane--returning the flight crew's wishes for a Merry Christmas.  When they walked out of the jet way and into the terminal, JC stepped up beside her as they walked down the concourse. 

"Do you need a ride to the hospital?" He asked as they made their way toward the baggage claim area and exit. 

"I was just going to get a cab." She replied tucking some hair behind her ear.

"We could share one." He suggested.

Whitney paused, hesitant to dash the hopeful look in his blue eyes.  "I...I don't know if that would be a good idea." She finally told him.  His face fell and he turned away from her.  She reached out, placing her hand on his arm.  "I don't want to cause any problems for you." She said.

He turned to look at her, his eyes curious.  "Problems?" He questioned.

She slowed as they approached the baggage area.  "With the media." She explained.  "It probably wouldn't look very good for you to return to L.A. with some random girl from New York and then get in a taxi with her and drive to the hospital?  Not very good press for you." She explained.

JC laughed.  "You think I care what the media thinks?" He asked.  He shook his head as he stopped to look at her.  "It's been a long time since I've had to worry about stuff like that.  Nobody cares what I do anymore." He said.  She opened her mouth to disagree with him but he continued.  "But, if it will make you feel better we can say good-bye here." He smiled.

She didn't want to say good-bye.  But she didn't have a choice.  This brief voyage into the fantasy world where JC Chasez knew who she was and wanted to spend time with her had been incredible, but he was home now and she had to get to the hospital.  This was where they had to part ways.

"Can I..." he paused.  "Can I have your number?" He asked.

"You want my number?" Whitney asked incredulously-caught off guard by his question.  The words came out before she could stop them. 

"Yeah." He grinned.  "There's still the matter of your...repayment for your ticket." He teased.

Whitney groaned.  "You're never going to let that go, are you?" She asked.

"You shouldn't have put the offer out there if you weren't serious." He replied keeping a straight face, though his eyes sparkled teasingly.

"Lesson learned." She conceded with a laugh.  "I'll be careful of what I say from now on.  I promise."

He chuckled as he reached into his bag and pulled out his phone.  "So, can I have it?" He asked, giving her a hopeful and questioning look.  Whitney looked at him for a moment then nodded.  She gave him her number--which he quickly entered into his phone.  "Do you want mine?" He asked.

Again she was caught off guard.  "Sure." She replied--surprised that he was offering.  "You're okay giving out your number?" She asked as he gave it to her and she added it to her contacts list. 

"To the general public, no." He answered.  "But to you, yes."

Whitney smiled.  "I promise I will keep it safe."

They stood looking at each other for a moment until he finally cleared his throat, breaking the awkward tension.  "Well, I...I better get going." He said.

"Thank you." Whitney replied as she surprised them both by reaching out and putting her arms around his neck.  She felt JC's arms go around her as he returned the hug and she closed her eyes, trying to memorize this moment.  "The words don't mean very much, I know." She conceded as she pulled back to look up into his eyes.  "But I am truly grateful for what you did for me and I won't ever forget it.  If there is ever some way that I can return the favor, you have my number."

He nodded, his arms still around her.  "I hope your brother is okay." He told her.  "Will you let me know what happens?" He asked. 

"Sure." She replied with a small nod.  Finally he stepped back from her, his arms slipping away from her and she fought the urge to grab on to him and never let him go.  Instead, she grabbed onto the shoulder strap of her duffle bag with both hands and watched as he turned and began walking away from her.  A voice in her head yelling at her for not taking him up on his offer to share a cab.  She'd let an opportunity pass her by and now she would always be wondering, "what if."  She had half a mind to go after him and see if the offer still stood, but realized she was too late when he walked outside and disappeared from her view.  With a sigh she began walking toward the exit, trying to forget about the last seven hours.  Jared was her focus now.  The fact that she had met, talked, laughed, sat next to, and exchanged numbers with her teen idol was pushed to the back of her mind as she walked outside and flagged a taxi.  Her brother was lying in the hospital in a coma.  It didn't matter that a world famous celebrity had rescued her this morning.  And besides, she thought as she got into the cab and gave the driver the address of where she needed to go.  Who would believe me anyway?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"And in national news, the East Coast has been hit once again with even more snow and icy winter weather.  Anxious travelers at New York's JFK airport thought they were finally getting a break yesterday when a few flights were given clearance for take-off but the snow was soon back with a vengeance.  We talked to one family that has been stuck in New York now for the last three days trying to get home..."

"How did you get a flight out yesterday when all those people who have been there the last couple days are all still waiting?"

Whitney turned from watching the television in his hospital room to look at her brother.  She smiled.  "A Christmas miracle." She replied, thinking about the man who had shown up yesterday and saved her. 

"A Christmas miracle?" Jared asked, skeptically.  "No really.  How'd you do it?"

"I met someone." She answered cryptically.  "Who helped me get a ticket out on one of those few planes that were given clearance.

"Someone?" Jared badgered.  She nodded.  "Who?"

"JC Chasez."

"JC Chasez?"

Whitney nodded at her brother's incredulous look.  She laughed and told him the whole story.    

Jared was quiet for a beat after she finished then asked, "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Excuse me?" Whitney asked with a confused chuckle at his question. 

Jared gave her a look like he was speaking to a stubborn child.  "JC Chasez--a world famous celebrity and musician rescued you yesterday morning, bought you a plane ticket from New York to L.A., gave you his number, and you're sitting here in the hospital with me right now?  What is wrong with you?"

Whitney sputtered for a moment.  "I...you...you were in a coma!" She exclaimed.  When she had arrived at the hospital last night she had been greeted with the news that Jared had finally woken up a few moments earlier.  She had sunk down into the nearest chair in the waiting room in relief.  The doctor had filled her in on his injuries--none of them life-threatening--and let her know that he was sleeping, courtesy of the pain medication they had him on.  They wanted to keep him a few days to monitor him because he had been unconscious for so long, but the doctor said he should be okay.  

"I'm fine." Jared insisted, cutting into her thoughts. 

"You're not fine, Jared." She replied, looking over at him from the chair by his bed that she was sitting in.  "Have you looked in a mirror lately?  You are anything but fine.  And how do you know who JC is?" She asked, surprised that her brother's knowledge of the guy.

"I'm a musician, Whit." Jared reminded her.  "And he's an amazing producer and song writer."

"Right." Whitney nodded, remembering why her brother had left their small hometown five years ago.  He was going to "make it big" out here in the land of opportunity.  Like so many others, Jared had moved to the West Coast in search of his dreams, but had yet to be discovered. 

"What the hell are you doing here, Whit?" He asked again.

"Making sure you're okay." She answered, put off that he wasn't more thankful she was there.  Didn't he realize what it had cost her to leave so suddenly yesterday?  To give up all the extra over-time she was going to get this week with all the holiday parties?  She counted on those parties to help supplement her part-time income while she was in school but he didn't care.  He was out here in California living the life, without a care in the world.

"You're an idiot." He stated with a roll of his eyes.

"Not exactly the words I was expecting to hear after having flown across the country to see you." She spat back.  "You're the idiot." She continued, her temper flaring.  "You're the one who was stupid enough to get on a motorcycle--drunk--at two am to go for a joy ride!  Do you not remember how Mom and Dad died?!"

"Of course I do." He replied, his eyes narrowing as he looked at her. 

"How could you do this?" She asked suddenly standing--unable to sit still any longer.  "How could you be so stupid as to get on your bike when you're drunk?  Do you want to die?  Do you have any idea what it would have done to me if you hadn't woken up?"

"I'm fine, Whit." He assured her. 

"Sure you are." She stated dryly.  "A broken leg, three cracked ribs, a nasty case of road rash up your whole left side, and a concussion!  You're fine, Jared." She said, her voice cracking as she listed his injuries.  She folded her arms across her chest--her jaw clenched as she tried to breathe evenly.  She didn't want to cry.  The stress, fear, and anxiety that had filled her and kept the adrenaline pumping through her system were now gone leaving her physically and emotionally exhausted. 

"Hey," he said, reaching out a hand to her--his tone softening.  She looked at it for a moment then placed her hand in his.  He gave it a squeeze.  "I'm fine." He repeated.  "Look at me." He requested as he gave her hand a tug.  She met his gaze.  "I'm fine.  Why don't you go back to my place and get some sleep?"

Whitney sighed as she looked at him.  "Jared, I--"

She was cut off as a quiet knock came at the door to the room.  Whitney looked at her brother in question.  He shrugged and she looked up at the door.

"Well, are you going to go answer it?" Jared asked.  He released her hand and she walked around the bed and over to the door.  "I can't exactly get up, or I'd do it myself." He chuckled, trying to make her laugh. 

Whitney rolled her eyes .  "Not funny, Jare." She said as she opened the door.  She gasped when she was met with a familiar face on the other side.  "JC!" She exclaimed.  "W-wha-what are you doing here?"

"I wanted to make sure you were okay." He answered her, his blue eyes delving into hers.  Whitney felt that same tingly feeling that had filled her the entire way from New York to L.A. yesterday as he stood there in the doorway.  He looked incredible and she couldn't take her eyes off him. 

"How did you know where I was?" She asked, finally finding her voice. 

"It took some time." He admitted with a shrug.  "But there aren't that many hospitals in town.  It was just a process of elimination."

"Who is it?" Jared called from the bed. 

Whitney looked over her shoulder, suddenly remembering where they were, then looked back at JC.  "Do you want to come in?  To meet my brother?" She asked, stepping back and opening the door wider.

He looked at her for a moment longer then nodded.  "Sure."

~~~~~~~

JC stepped into the hospital room, trying to ignore the sterile smell and feel of the room.  He'd never been a fan of hospitals--he tried to avoid them at all costs--but he hadn't been able to stop thinking about Whitney since saying good-bye to her at the airport yesterday.  He needed to make sure she was okay.  He had thought about calling her or sending a text message but those weren't the same as seeing with his own eyes that everything was alright. 

When she had opened the door to the room the receptionist downstairs had given him his heart had done a funny little flip in his chest.  She had been surprised, but her eyes had lit up when she'd seen him and he felt almost giddy at the sensation that provoked inside.  He scoffed at himself.  He was acting like a damn teenager, but he couldn't help it.  He liked this girl.  He didn't know why, but he liked her and he wanted to spend more time with her--to get to know her, to hopefully figure out what it was about her that so intrigued him.  He was no stranger to beautiful women, he met them every day in his line of work, but Whitney had a different kind of beauty that surrounded her.  A quiet grace that captivated him and made him want to be in her presence.   

Whitney introduced him to her brother-a young man who had an obvious family resemblance to her underneath the cuts, bruises, and bandages covering him.  "I'm glad you're okay." JC said after greeting the younger man.  "Your sister was really worried about you yesterday." He continued, his eyes sliding over to the woman across the bed from him.  He gave her a smile. 

"Whit's always worried about me." Jared replied.  "Ever since we were kids, she's been worrying about me."

"With good reason." Whitney interjected with a chuckle.  "Look where you are right now!" 

 Jared gave his sister a grin then turned back to look at JC.  "I know she's probably already thanked you, but I wanted to say it as well.  Thanks for helping her get here and making sure she was okay yesterday."

"My pleasure." JC said, his eyes again meeting Whitney's.  She smiled at him and he felt that same warm feeling spread through him that he had felt while being in her company yesterday.  "Well," he said, breaking eye contact with Whitney and stepping away from her brother's hospital bed.  "I'm glad you're okay." He said again.  "And I'll just...go. I don't want to take up any more of your time.  I just wanted to make sure you were both okay." He continued as he took a few steps toward the door.  He glanced over at Whitney.  "If you need anything, you have my number." He said, pausing.  She nodded.  He stood there for a moment, not wanting to leave, but feeling awkward about staying any longer.  When nothing else came to mind to say, he turned on his heels and left the room. 

~~~~~~~

Whitney stood, staring at the door through which JC had just left.  Stunned and speechless.  It had all happened so quickly she was tempted to believe it hadn't happened at all.  He had appeared and disappeared in what seemed like a brief second.  "Did you...?" She began, turning to look at Jared to ask him if that had really just happened. 

Jared gave her a questioning look.

 "I..." she paused.  Then, feeling a sudden sense of urgency she walked quickly over to the door.  "I'll be right back." She said over her shoulder as she wrenched open the door, intent on following him out into the hallway. 

She pulled up short, however-a gasp escaping--as she came face to face with JC.  His hand was raised, his fingers curled into a fist.  One dark brow was raised as he looked at her in surprise, clearly not expecting her to open the door before he had had the chance to knock.  "I, uhm..." he began as he slowly lowered his arm.  "I was coming back to see if--"

"Do you...do you want to go to dinner?" Whitney asked cutting him off before she lost her nerve.  JC gave her another startled look, his lips slowly lifting into a smile.  Looking over her shoulder, she stepped out into the hallway, closing the door to Jared's room behind her.  She looked down at the floor then, tucked some hair behind her ear as she looked up him.  "Is that too forward?" She asked with a nervous chuckle as he just continued to stand there quietly.  "I know we only met yesterday and we don't really know each other.  I'm sorry if it was, I just--"

"That's....actually what I was coming back to ask you." He said.  "I..." he shoved his hands into his pockets.  "I don't like the thought of you being stuck here in the hospital on Christmas." He said and Whitney smiled, her heart beginning to flutter in her chest.  "I, uhm...it's kind of a tradition-in my family--to have Chinese on Christmas." He chuckled.  "I know it sounds stupid but," he shrugged.  "It's tradition and I...well everyone is gone this year, I'm all alone and...it sucks.  Do you...do you want to go get some Chinese with me?" He asked, giving her a questioning look.  "I mean, if nothing else it's a free meal and it's gotta be better than eating here at the cafeteria." 

"I'd love--"

"O...M...G..."

Whitney and JC both turned as a feminine squeal echoed down the hallway of the hospital.  A young woman with obviously bottled blonde hair approached them-a star-struck look in her eyes.  "You're JC Chasez!" She squealed again as she came to stand in front of them.  She reached into the huge, purple bag on her shoulder-digging around for a second then pulling out a cell phone.  "I have to tweet about this." She said as she began furiously typing out a message on her phone.  Whitney looked over at JC.  His blue eyes met hers, an amused expression on his face, and she had to bite back a laugh that wanted to escape.  "Nobody is going to believe this!" She said, shaking her head as she finished typing up her status update and then slipped the phone back into her behemoth bag.  She looked up at JC, a huge smile on her face.  "I am," she placed a hand on her chest as she gazed at him adoringly.  "Like...you're biggest fan!" She gushed.  "I can't believe Jared never told me he knows you!"

"Jared?  How..." Whitney looked at the girl in confusion.  "I'm sorry," she said folding her arms across her chest.  "You know Jared?" She asked. 

The blonde turned to look at Whitney, a look on her face that clearly said she hadn't even noticed Whitney had been standing there until that moment.  "Yeah."  She scoffed.  "I'm like, his girlfriend." She said, giving Whitney the once over.  "Who are you?" She asked with an accusatory tone and a hand on her hip.

"I'm his sister." Whitney replied. 

The girl's face instantly changed.  "Oh!" She exclaimed, putting her arms around Whitney and pulling her in for a hug.  Whitney looked over at JC.  This time it was him trying to bite back a laugh.  "Jared has told me so much about you!" The girl squealed.  "I know we're going to be like, best friends!"  She continued as she pulled back.  Whitney smiled at the girl's dramatics.  She was ridiculous.  Really?  This was Jared's girlfriend?  And since when did Jared have a girlfriend?  "I'm Ashley." She said, finally giving Whitney her name.

An awkward silence descended between them as Ashley was finally quiet. 

"Well." Ashley said, looking back and forth between Whitney and JC.  "I really wish Jared would have texted me earlier so we could have spent some more time together."

"He, uhm...he hasn't really been lucid until just a little while ago." Whitney replied as she folded her arms again across her chest. 

"Oh my gosh!" Ashley exclaimed, placing her hand over her chest.  "Is he going to be okay?" She asked.

Whitney gave her a dumbfounded look.  "Yeah...eventually." She nodded.  "He's pretty banged up right now but--"

As quickly as she appeared, Ashley disappeared into Jared's room-leaving Whitney and JC once more alone in the hallway as the door shut loudly behind her.  Speechless, Whitney turned to look at JC.  Their eyes met and they both broke out in laughter.  "Is it always like that?" She asked him.

"What?" He asked with a chuckle. 

"When your ‘biggest fans' meet you for the first time?" She questioned. 

  He laughed.  "Usually." He nodded. 

"Note to self." She replied teasingly.

He shrugged.  "You get used to it after a while." He said. Silence fell between them for a moment.  "So about dinner..." he drawled. 

"Yes." Whitney replied with a nod and he smiled.  "I'd love to."

Chapter 3 by azchickadee

Whitney looked around the restaurant and was suddenly reminded of a scene from the movie, A Christmas Story.  She and JC were the only people sitting in this little, out of the way, Chinese restaurant on Christmas.  There were a few random and tacky holiday decorations scattered around amongst the oriental décor while an old recording of Bing Crosby singing White Christmas crackled over the speakers.  The only thing missing was a group of Chinese waiters singing a horrible, yet hilarious, rendition of Deck the Halls and an entire cooked duck to be brought out to their table.  Putting a hand to her mouth, Whitney tried to cover the laugh that wanted to escape. 

"You've seen A Christmas Story, right?" JC asked, pulling her from her thoughts.  She looked at him in surprise.

"Can you read my thoughts?" She asked, finally laughing.  "Because I was just thinking about that!"

He laughed, a sound which Whitney was quickly beginning to love, and folded his arms on top of the table as he leaned toward her.  "I keep expecting those two over there," he said, gesturing his head to the two men standing and talking to each other at the front counter.  Whitney glanced over at them and laughed as she looked back at the man sitting across from her.  "To start singing to us." JC finished.

"Far-ra-ra-ra-ra." She said.

The corners of JC's eyes crinkled as he began giggling and Whitney found herself giggling right along with him.  They laughed for a few moments and she tried to stop, but every time they quieted some, they would look at each other and begin laughing all over again.  It felt good to laugh, though.  It had been such a stressful and anxious couple of days that being able to laugh was such a release.  Their laughter finally quieted for good as an older Chinese woman brought out the food they had ordered and placed it on the table in front of them. 

"Thank you." JC told the woman.  Whitney echoed his thanks.  The woman gave them a shy smile then turned and left them alone again.  Whitney's stomach growled loudly in response to the delicious smell of their food.  She hadn't eaten very much the last two days because of all the craziness and her body was suddenly reminding her how ravenous she was. 

"Sorry." She chuckled, feeling embarrassed.  "The sandwich I got earlier at the hospital cafeteria has worn off, I guess."

JC grinned at her as he picked up his chopsticks.  "Then it's a good thing I came by to see you when I did, huh?" He asked as he took a bite of his sticky rice and Cashew Chicken.  "To save you from dying of hunger."

"Yes." Whitney nodded with a smile.  "It's a very good thing you came by and rescued me."  She agreed.  "Again."

~~~~~~~

JC watched as Whitney looked down, focusing her attention on the chopsticks in her hand.  She was trying to get them positioned correctly but wasn't having very much luck.  He chuckled quietly and set down his chopsticks. 

"I always have a hard time with these damn things." She said with a nervous laugh. 

"Here." He said, reaching across the table to her.  "Let me help."

Her eyes met his as he took her hand in both of his.  He looked at her for a moment, his lips lifting up slightly as her cheeks became tinged with pink.  Slowly he began moving her fingers, positioning the chopsticks between them correctly.  Her blue eyes left his, her other hand nervously tucking some hair behind her ear as she watched what he was doing.

"Like that." He said.  He picked up his chopsticks again, lifting his hand to show her.  "See?" He asked.

She nodded.  "Thanks." She offered quietly.  He smiled and she chuckled as she looked down at her plate, her blush deepening.  "You have to stop rescuing me." She said, her eyes flicking back up to meet his again.  "I know I've been a mess these last couple days and you have nothing else to base your opinion of me on, but I'm not completely helpless.  I promise." She assured him. 

"I don't think you're completely helpless." He replied. 

"Why not?" She asked giving him a disbelieving look.  "If I were you, I would." She laughed as she looked down at her plate again, and began working on getting a bite of her Sweet and Sour Pork with her chopsticks.  JC watched as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth in concentration.  She finally succeeded and took the bite, giving him a proud and smile.  Damn, she was adorable.

"You've had a rough couple days." He said, giving her an answer to her earlier question.  "Enough to frazzle anyone.  You're not helpless.  Besides," he continued as he took another bite of his dinner.  "Like I told you--it's not often a guy gets to rescue a beautiful damsel in distress anymore these days.  It makes me feel like I'm not completely useless member of society."

Whitney's eyes sparkled and he found himself completely captivated by her as she gave him a warm smile. They looked at each other for a moment, then continued eating-a companionable silence falling between them.  JC watched her, trying once again to figure out what her hold over him was.  He'd been wondering that for the last two days.  Why couldn't he stop thinking about her, or stop feeling this need to be with her?  He didn't have an answer and the more he sat there, the more he wondered why he needed an answer.  Why couldn't it just be because he thought she was beautiful, enjoyed being with her, and liked the fact that he could make her laugh and how she didn't treat him like a celebrity.  It had been a long time since he had been a regular in the spotlight, but people still knew who he was-girls especially.  He rolled his eyes and chuckled to himself, remembering his encounter earlier with one of those girls.  Ashley's reaction to meeting him at the hospital was, as he had told Whitney, very typical.  Girls had been acting like that around him since he'd been on MMC and it had only increased and gotten worse once NSYNC became a phenomenon.  To meet a girl who didn't scream, squeal, gush, or giggle when she met him was refreshing and something he didn't get very often.  It made him feel like a regular guy.  Add to that the fact that the girl was as beautiful as Whitney was--with killer eyes and an incredible laugh, had her own goals in life, a spunky personality, and was obviously a very loving and caring individual-and JC felt like he had suddenly won the lottery!  Girls like Whitney didn't come around very often and he was hesitant to see her and their time together go. 

"How long do you think you're going to be in town?" He asked, finally breaking the silence between them. 

"I don't know." Whitney replied, looking up at him.  "I guess that all depends on what the doctors say and when Jared is able to be released.  I can't just leave him here like he is.  I mean," she chuckled.  "You met his girlfriend." She continued and JC laughed as he nodded.  "I didn't really get a very trustworthy or dependable vibe from her, you know?"

"Totally." He replied.  "I'm right there with you on that one."

"I don't know." She said again with a shrug as she picked up her water glass and took a sip. 

"Well are you at least here through New Year's?" He asked.

"Probably." She nodded.  "It won't be any sooner than that, that I would leave.  Why?"

"I'm having a dinner party New Year's Eve." He told her.  "I want you to come."

Whitney choked on the sip of water she had just taken.  She coughed and reached for her napkin.  Her wide blue eyes met his, a look of shock on her face.  "You...you want me to come to your New Year's Eve party?" She asked.  He nodded.  "Why?"

"Do I need to have a reason for inviting a pretty girl to my party?" He countered. 

"No." She shook her head.  "But why are you asking me?"

"Because...it's not a big deal." He replied.  "Because it's just a few friends, some food, some drinks, some music-a good time celebrating the New Year.  Because your Christmas kind of sucked and I don't want your New Year's to suck as well and because...yeah..."

Whitney laughed.  "'Because...yeah'?" She questioned.  "What kind of answer is that?"

JC rolled his eyes and waved his hand through the air and chuckled.  "Forget that last part.  Listen," he said.  "It's just a New Year's Eve party.  Will you come?"

Whitney sat for a moment, her eyes narrowing slightly as she looked at him, and he wished he could read the expression on her face.  "Okay." She finally agreed and he felt a grin spread across his face.  "New Year's Eve." She said.

"New Year's Eve." He echoed, his grin widening.  "It's going to be great!"

~*~*~*~*~*~

"It's going to be a disaster!" Whitney lamented the next day on the phone to her friend and roommate Melanie.

"It's not going to be a disaster." Melanie replied with a chuckle. 

"Yes it is." Whitney argued.

"Why do you think it's going to be a disaster?" Melanie questioned.

"Because it is." Whitney replied.  "I just know it."

Melanie laughed again at Whitney's dramatics.  "It's just a party, Whit." She said.  "You've been to hundreds of parties."

"As the help." Whitney retorted.  "Not as a guest!  I don't know what I'm going to do."  She continued.  "Or wear."

"You're going to go and have a great time." Melanie replied.  "And you're going to go buy a new dress."

"I can't buy a new dress, Mel." Whitney said.  "I only have enough in my checking account to buy a ticket home next week."

"Okay." Melanie replied in a tone that indicated she was thinking.  "Well..."

"Could you mail me one of my dresses?" Whitney asked.  "You could overnight it and I could pay you back when I got home."

"Yes." Melanie agreed.  "I can go right now." She said.

"Perfect!" Whitney sighed in relief.  "Okay, I'm thinking my black dress and those black stilettos I bought a few months ago.  What do you think?"

"I think you're going to knock his socks off." Melanie replied and Whitney laughed.  "I'll put it in the mail today."

"You're a lifesaver, Mel." Whitney said.  "And I promise I'll pay you back as soon as I get home."

"Don't worry about it." Melanie replied with a chuckle.  "Just promise me you'll have fun and give me all the details when you get home, deal?"

"Deal." Whitney laughed. 

"And don't leave anything out." Melanie continued.  "I want to know who was there, what you had to drink, what he had to drink, what he was wearing, what he smelled like, and how great of a kisser he is."

"Melanie!" Whitney exclaimed with a laugh. 

"What?" Melanie replied in an innocent tone.

"He's not going to kiss me." Whitney assured her friend.

"Of course he is." Melanie stated authoritatively.

Whitney rolled her eyes and shook her head though her friend couldn't see her. 

"Stop rolling your eyes and shaking your head." Melanie said with a laugh. 

"I'm--"

"And don't deny that you were." Melanie continued, cutting Whitney off.  "Because I know you were."

Whitney sighed good-naturedly.  "I'll tell you everything that happens." She said with a smile.  "But he's not going to kiss me."

"Of course he is." Melanie reiterated.  "And when he does, I get to say, ‘I told you so.'"

"And when he doesn't," Whitney said with a laugh.  "Then I get to say, ‘I told you so.'"

"Deal." Melanie chuckled.  "But I'm going to win this bet."

"Why are you so convinced JC is going to kiss me?" Whitney asked.

"Because it's obvious he likes you." Melanie replied. "And if you're going to kiss someone you like, New Year's Eve is the best time to do it." 

Whitney was quiet for a moment, trying to fight back the giddy expectation wanting to overtake her.  She was not going to get her hopes up.  She knew she was right.  Melanie didn't know what she was talking about.  There was no way that JC was going to kiss her on New Year's Eve.  Or any other eve for that matter. She thought.  It was just a party.  That was it.  Nothing was going to happen.

"How is your brother doing?" Melanie asked, bringing Whitney back from her thoughts to the conversation at hand. 

"He's doing a lot better." Whitney replied as she put her feet up on Jared's coffee table.  "He's got a lot of recovery ahead of him, but the doctor was saying this morning that he thinks Jared could be released tomorrow."

"That's awesome!" Melanie exclaimed. 

"Yeah it is." Whitney smiled, a sense of relief and gratitude filling her again at her brother's condition. 

When she thought about what she could have been doing this week--planning another funeral--instead of being able to spend some time with her brother and looking forward to a Hollywood New Year's Eve party, she shuddered.  Though she knew this week of lost work was going to come back to bite her later, she was thankful Jared was going to be okay and she was glad she'd been forced to come to California.  His accident had been reckless and stupid, but it had given Whitney the chance to meet JC-a fact that she would be forever grateful for. 

No matter if he kissed her on New Year's Eve or not...  

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

New Year's Eve

Whitney stepped out of the cab she had called an hour ago and tugged on the hem of her dress. The car door shut behind her as she looked at the house in front of her. "I can't believe I'm doing this." She muttered under her breath as she turned to hand her cab fare to the driver.  He took the cash, wished her a happy new year, and then left her alone in front of the hillside mansion.  Whitney ran her fingers through her hair, took a deep breath, and began walking toward the front door.  The heels of her stilettos echoed across the yard, the sound seeming extremely loud and bringing her attention to how quiet it was out here.  She was used to the noise--the constant life and hustle and bustle--of New York City.  L.A. was busy, sure, but not to the extent of The Big Apple.  The lack of "city noise" up here at JC's house made her suddenly miss home.  She never realized how much she missed the quietness that came from living in a small New England town until she was away from the city. 

Finally reaching the front door--the sound of music, laughter, and conversation coming from inside the house--Whitney rang the bell and waited.  Her  heart fluttered nervously in her chest as she again questioned her sanity in being there.  Who was she to show up at a celebrity's New Year's Eve party?  She could leave now and no one would have to know she'd even been there, or that she was crazy enough to think she could party with this crowd. 

Except Melanie.  A voice inside her head reminded her. 

I can pass it off as needing to stay home with Jared. Whitney mentally answered the voice. 

What about JC? The voice asked again.

That thought made her stop.  He would be disappointed.  He had been so excited when she had agreed to come tonight.  She didn't want to disappoint him, but...he would get over it.  Wouldn't he?  She would leave, go back to New York in a few days, and he would go on living his celebrity lifestyle--forgetting all about the crazy waitress/culinary student he had met and rescued on Christmas Eve...

The logical side of Whitney's brain gaining the upper hand, she took a step back from the door.  Turning to leave, she stopped when the door finally opened revealing JC's beautiful face and form.  Her heart leapt, her eyes greedily taking in the sight of him in dark jeans, a black V-neck T-shirt, and jacket.  They had talked on the phone every day since Christmas but hadn't been able to see each other again since dinner that night because of his schedule and her having to help her brother.

 Until now.

"You made it!" He said, a huge smile on his face and sparkle in his eyes. 

"Y-yeah." Whitney stammered as she stepped toward the door once more.  "I'm sorry I'm late." She apologized. 

"It's okay." He replied, stepping back and opening the door wider.  "You're here, that's all that matters, right?"

"Right." She nodded as she walked inside.  He closed the door behind her and she looked at him over her shoulder.  He stood there looking at her for a moment then his eyes dropped, giving her the once over. 

"You look amazing." He praised, his blue eyes meeting hers again and Whitney felt her stomach flip. 

"Thank you." She said, dropping her gaze down to the black, spaghetti strap, cocktail dress Melanie had sent her a few days ago. 

"If I'd known you had that in your carryon, I would have come up with a reason for having a party before tonight." He told her.  He lifted the bottle in his hand to his lips and Whitney watched as he took a swig of his beer, her cheeks warming at the look in his eyes. 

"I didn't." She replied, swallowing hard as the air seemed to thicken around them. 

His brow furrowed slightly.  "You didn't have to buy something for tonight." He said.  "Now I feel bad." He chuckled.  "I didn't mean for you to--"

"I didn't." She shook her head. 

One dark brow rose in question as he looked at her.

"I, uhm..." she chuckled nervously.  "I had my roommate overnight it to me." She admitted.  "I don't...I don't really go to a lot of fancy parties so this is the first time I've actually worn it anywhere since I bought it." She admitted.

"Well that's a damn shame." He replied with a grin and wink.  "You look amazing."

"Yeah, you...you said that already." Whitney smiled and pulled her bottom lip between her teeth. 

"Just want to make sure you know it." He replied.

"Thank you." She blushed.

 "Come on." He said with a tilt of his head as he began walking farther into the house.  "I want to introduce you to everyone." 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

JC leaned back in his chair and watched as Whitney sat talking with his friend, Nate.  He smiled--a warm feeling spreading through him at the easy and effortless way Whitney had integrated herself into his circle of close friends.  She had been nervous at first, but had quickly warmed up and had been an active participant in the conversation over dinner--charming everyone with her warm smile, easy laughter, insightful and funny comments.  Nate said something that made Whitney laugh and JC felt a tug of jealousy.  He wanted to be the one to make her laugh. 

"Ya'll ready?" Nate asked pulling JC from his thoughts.

"Yeah." JC replied, shaking his head slightly and putting his hands on the table.  Pushing back in his chair, he looked at Whitney and grinned.  "Let's go." He said.

"Go?" Whitney asked, giving him a confused look.  "Where are we going?"

"To the party." JC answered.

"The party?" Whitney questioned.  "But I thought..." she looked around as everyone at the table got up and began leaving the room.  "I thought this was the party." She said turning back to look at him.  "You said--" 

JC's smile widened.  "This was just dinner." He said as he stood up and held his hand out to her. Whitney hesitated for a moment then put her hand in his.  JC tugged her up in front of him.  She placed her hands on his chest as the momentum pulled her into him and his arm wound around her waist to steady her.  Their eyes met and he felt a spark ignite between them.  Looking down into her clear, blue eyes he momentarily lost track of where they were and the other people that were in his house.  She swallowed and he lifted his other hand, his fingers itching suddenly to touch her skin--to see if really was as soft as it looked...

"JC.  You two coming?" Nate asked, poking his head around the corner and startling him. 

Whitney jumped slightly and pulled away from him.  "Yeah." JC said, looking over at his friend--trying not to feel upset over the interruption.  He looked back at the woman in front of her.  He gave her a smile and reached down for her hand.  "Come on." He said, giving her fingers a squeeze.  "The party's just gettin' started." 

~~~~~~~

"Can I ask you a question?" Whitney asked a few minutes later as they sat in the darkened interior of his Mercedes

"Of course." JC said with a smile, glancing over at her then turning his eyes back to the road as he drove through town.  She was quiet for a moment and he looked over at her again.  She sat, worrying her bottom lip, and he chuckled.  "What is it, Whitney?" He asked.

"I just..." she hesitated.  "I just want to know why." She said finally.

"Why?" He echoed, giving her a questioning look as he stopped at a red light.  "Why, what?"

"Why did you help me?" She asked.  "At the airport." She clarified, though she didn't need to.  He knew what she was referring to.  "Why did you help me?  You said it was because you could tell I was in trouble but what's the real reason?" 

"Because I wanted to talk to you." He answered honestly, the words coming out before he could stop them.  Her brows furrowed slightly and he shrugged.  "Making sure I sat by you on the plane seemed like the logical thing to do to make sure that happened."

"You bought me a twenty-seven hundred dollar plane ticket because you wanted to talk to me?" She questioned, looking at him like he was crazy.  JC chuckled.  He knew it sounded crazy, and he probably was crazy, but that was the honest answer.  Whitney laughed and shook her head as the light turned green and he continued driving toward the club they were headed to.  "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!" She exclaimed.  "What?" She asked.  "You saw this crazy girl yelling at some poor ticket agent at the airport and you thought, ‘hmm...she looks like someone I'd like to talk to'?" 

JC grinned, his mind flashing back to that party when he had first seen her.  "Something like that." He nodded.  She gave him a disbelieving look. 

"I don't believe you." She chuckled. 

"Do I have to have a reason for wanting to talk to you?" He questioned, his eyes bouncing back and forth between her and the road.  He wondered if he should tell her his first sight of her hadn't been when she had been expressing her frustration at that poor ticket agent.  But he didn't want to think he was some creepy stalker.

"Well, no." she replied.  "Not if you were anybody else.  But you're not."

"I'm not?" He questioned.

"No."

"Who am I?"

" You're...well, you're you!" She exclaimed and he chuckled. 

"And being me means I can't talk to a beautiful woman?" He questioned.

"Well, no." She said again and he grinned as he pulled the car to a stop at the curb outside the club where they were meeting everyone.  "I just..." she sighed as he put the car in park and unbuckled his seatbelt.  "I was just wondering why." She continued. 

"Because I like you." He told her.  "And the more I talk to you," he continued as he moved to get out of the car.  "The more I like you."  

~~~~~~~

Whitney watched as JC got out of the car, not sure what to do with the information he'd just given her.  A giddy, tingly, excited feeling wanted to overtake her but she stubbornly held it back.  It was already going to be hard to go back to reality next week.  She didn't want to make it harder by allowing her emotions to run away with her. 

Her door opened, surprising her, and she looked at the hand being held out to her.  Her eyes met his as she slid her hand into his and allowed him to help her out of the Mercedes.  When she was standing in front of him on the sidewalk, Whitney couldn't help but think back to when they had been in a similar position earlier.  For a moment there--standing in his dining room--she had begun to think he was going to kiss her and now here they were again.  She could feel his body warmth and had to fight the desire to melt into him when the spicy scent of his cologne hit her.  Her heart began fluttering in her chest as he looked at her--a playful sparkle in his blue eyes--and Whitney knew it was too late. 

As much as she wanted to fight it, her heart had already made up its mind.

She had been completely swept off her feet by this handsome Prince Charming who had come to her rescue.

JC tossed his keys to the valet then turned and, keeping a hold of her hand, led her into the club.  Whitney stayed close to him as they were let in.  JC stopped, once they entered, and scanned the crowd.  She looked around. She had been to a club once or twice since moving to New York and she'd waited at countless parties that looked like this crowd did, but she still felt a bit nervous and unsure about being here right now.  She was usually only at parties to work--not to have fun.  Being on the other side was mostly unfamiliar territory for her.  Especially being here with JC Chasez.  She thought as she looked up at the man beside her. 

"There they are." JC said, pointing across the room as he turned to look at her.  He gave her a smiled and they began making their way through the mass of bodies filling the club toward his friends. Stopping by the bar and ordering their first drink of the night, Whitney followed JC up into the VIP section--a pang of disappointment filling her as he finally released her hand.  She stood back as he greeted those who had joined the group since dinner, a surreal feeling filling her.

She wanted to pinch herself-and did as she took a sip of her rum and Coke.

She couldn't believe all that had transpired this last week.  If she didn't know better she would be tempted to believe she was she was asleep and this was all just an elaborate and extremely realistic dream.  She feared she was going to wake up at any moment and find it was still early Christmas morning and she was at home in bed--just waking up after getting home and crashing after serving at that last party. 

JC turned then, interrupting her thoughts, and Whitney smiled brightly as he pulled her over and began introducing her to everyone.  Her fears about this all being a figment of her imagination left and Whitney just focused on having a good time.  Even if she did wake up and find out none of this had really happened, no sense in letting a good dream go to waste, right?

They danced and partied and Whitney couldn't remember the last time she had had so much fun.  As the clock crept closer to midnight, however, she couldn't help but wonder what was going to happen.  Melanie's prediction that JC was going to kiss her kept coming to mind but she wondered if it was going to end with "happily ever after" or with the magic ending at the stroke of twelve.  The crowd filling the club began the countdown to the new year and Whitney finished the drink in her hand and tried to quell the disappointment in her chest at no sight of JC.  I told you so.  She thought, sending the words out telepathically to her roommate.

"Whitney?"

She gasped in surprise and turned around.  Her eyes met JC's and she felt her heart skip several beats at the look in his eyes.  He stepped closer to her and Whitney's breath caught in her throat.  He was going to kiss her.  Melanie had been right.  JC Chasez was going to kiss her! 

"Whitney?" He asked again.

"Yes." She replied--in answer to both the verbal and silent question he was asking.  Yes, you can kiss me.  Please.  Kiss me.

As the countdown ended everyone in the club let go a cheer.  The noise was almost deafening but Whitney hardly heard it.  All she could concentrate on was JC.  Almost as if in slow motion he leaned toward her and Whitney closed her eyes.  Waiting.  Her lips tingling in anticipation and her heart nearly beating out of her chest. 

This can't possibly be happening.  I have to be dreaming.  Please don't let me be dreaming...

Chapter 4 by azchickadee
"Whitney.  Whitney..."

Whitney groaned against the voice pulling her from her dream.  Turning over she whimpered and let out a mumbled "no" as she kept her eyes closed tightly and tried to bring back the club, the music, the hazy atmosphere, the New Year's celebration, the beautiful man she'd been drinking and dancing with. The man who had been just about to kiss her...

"Wake up." The voice came again, this time right by her ear.  She shivered as she felt warm breath on her skin and strong, yet soft, lips press themselves to her neck. 

With another groan, Whitney rolled back over and felt the bed move as the owner of the voice put their hands down on either side of her.  She felt his body warmth and inhaled the familiar scent of his cologne.  That smell finally pulled the last vestiges of sleep from her and she opened her eyes.  She watched as a slow smile spread across his face as he hovered above her.

"Hi." He said, a beautiful smile on his handsome face.

"Hi." She replied, a smile coming to her face. 

"Must have been a good dream." He remarked, a mischievous glint in his blue eyes.  "I was having quite a time trying to wake you up."

"Mmm..." Whitney hummed as she put her arms up above her head and stretched.  "Very good." She replied as she draped her arms around his neck.

"Should I be jealous?" He asked, his eyes narrowing slightly as he looked down at her.

"Nope." She shook her head as she slid her fingers into the dark hair at the nape of his neck.  She pulled him closer.  "It was about you." She said as she kissed him.

JC chuckled as he kissed her back and Whitney let out a groan as he lowered his weight down on top of her.  She missed him like crazy when they were apart but reuniting with him was always so deliciously sweet it was almost worth the separation.

Almost.

"White Chocolate Mocha?" She asked as his tongue traced along her bottom lip then tangled with hers and she tasted him fully.  He nodded as he continued kissing her.  "You better have brought me one." She said as he released her mouth and trailed his lips across her jaw and down her neck.

"I'm not stupid." He remarked with a chuckle, the sound vibrating from his chest to hers.  He pulled back and looked at her.  "I learned my lesson on that one a long time ago." He continued, gesturing with his head to the side.  Whitney turned and saw the pair of familiar Starbuck's cups on the bedside table.  "Did I do good?" He asked as he nipped at her collarbone. 

Whitney giggled and nodded as she turned back to look at him.  "Very." She replied.    

JC pulled back, pushing himself up on his forearms, and Whitney just laid there for a moment-soaking in the fact that he was really there.  She slid one hand sliding to cup his cheek.  He hadn't shaved in a day or two and the scruff of his whiskers tickled her.  He turned his head and closed his eyes as he pressed his lips to her palm.  He turned his eyes back to her and she felt her stomach quiver at the love and desire she saw there.  It was still amazing to her that this man loved her--had chosen her--and she thanked her lucky stars and all the powers in the Universe that they had been brought together the way they had three years ago. 

It had truly been a serendipitous meeting and one that still felt like a dream sometimes.

"What were you dreaming about me?" He asked, his head turning slightly as his lips pressed to the inside of her wrist. 

Whitney watched as his lips continued to tease the sensitive skin of her inner arm until he turned those blue eyes of his on her again.  "Our first Christmas." She replied, sliding her hand up-her fingers combing through his hair.  He grinned.

"Hard to believe that was three years ago." He mused.

"I know." She nodded.

"And you said it wouldn't last." He stated with a teasing sparkle in his eyes.

"I didn't say it wouldn't last." Whitney insisted.  "I only said it was going to be hard."

"But you thought it wasn't going to last." He continued.  "Admit it."

"Okay." She nodded in acceptance. "I was...hesitant at first."

"Why?" He questioned.

"Why was I hesitant?" Whitney asked.  He nodded.  "Because..." she laughed, the answer obvious to her.  He continued to look at her, waiting.  "You're a celebrity, for one." She said.

"And two?" JC asked.

"And two." She said dropping her arms.  JC moved from atop her as she sat up.  "We live on opposite coasts." She reminded him of the reason they were constantly saying hello and good-bye.

"But we've made it work." He said.

Whitney nodded.  "Yeah." She smiled, a warm feeling spreading through her.  "We've made it work." They had both racked up an enormous amount of frequent flyer miles crossing the country on a regular basis.  Whitney was now so familiar with the JKF and LAX airports she was pretty sure she could walk through them both blindfolded.  She hated it.  She hated being separated from him the majority of the time, but until she finished school in the spring, this was how it had to be. 

"I hate being on the opposite side of the country from you," JC said as if he were reading her thoughts.  "But you know I love you, right?" He asked.

She smiled.  "Yes." She replied.  If there was one thing she knew, it was how much this man loved her.  He was a reserved individual when it came to his emotions.  Their relationship had progressed slowly over the last three years but the love between them was strong and undeniable.  She leaned toward him where he sat on the bed and placed both hands on his face.  "I love you." She told him as she pressed her lips to his. 

Their kiss became long, slow, and deep--the kind that curled her toes and made her stomach and heart flip-flop in her chest and a tingling sensation to completely consume her.  When at last they parted, Whitney opened her eyes and looked at him.  His blue eyes met hers and she smiled.  "Are you going to tell me why you're here?" She asked and he gave her a questioning look.

"If you don't want me here, I'll leave." He said and began to move away from her.

"Wait a minute!"  Whitney laughed, reaching out to grab a hold of him and keep him from leaving.  "I don't want you to leave.  You're flight wasn't supposed to come in until tonight." She told him as he moved back to sit on the edge of the bed.  "How come you're here so early?"

"I couldn't wait any longer to see you." He replied and she smiled.  "Plus," he said, getting up and reaching down into his duffle bag on the floor.  "I couldn't wait any longer to give you one of your presents."

"Christmas isn't until tomorrow." She reminded him.

"I know." He said, tossing her a grin over his shoulder.

Whitney chuckled quietly as she reached over for the coffee he had brought her and took a sip.  "I'm good with you and this coffee." She told him as she savored the warmth and flavor of her favorite drink.  "I don't need anything else."

JC found what he had been searching for and turned to face her, his hands hidden behind his back.  She looked up at him expectantly, but the look on his face was suddenly making her made her nervous.  She set the coffee cup back on the nightstand-her eyes widening and her heart stopping as he knelt down by the side of the bed. 

"What--"

"December twenty-third, two thousand ten." He began, cutting her off.  "I was here in New York for friend's release party.  I was bemoaning the fact that I was stuck here, in a blizzard, while the rest of my family was on a cruise." He continued.  "But then I saw this beautiful woman from across the room and suddenly the Caribbean lost its appeal." 

Whitney smiled as he began telling her about the night he had first seen her.  It hadn't been until about a year into their relationship that he had finally confessed to having noticed her at the release party the day before he rescued her at the airport.  She hadn't believed him at first then had accused him of being a stalker but now they both just smiled about the memory. 

"I wanted to talk to her--to get her to notice me--but she disappeared on me that night.  I searched for her, but she never reappeared.  I began to think maybe I had just made her up; that she was just a dream--a figment of my imagination--but I found her again the next day." JC continued.  "I rescued that beautiful damsel in distress and whisked her away to sunny L.A.  She completely captivated me and I proceeded to work on charming her socks off in hopes that she would consent to allowing me to be a part of her life."

He pulled a black velvet ring box from behind his back at that point and Whitney felt her eyes go wide.  Her breath hitched and her heart skipped several beats as he opened the box, revealing a breathtaking, 2 carat, three-stone, platinum engagement ring. 

"Jace...?" She questioned, her eyes darting back and forth between the ring and his face.  She felt tears gather in her eyes unexpectantly as he continued.

"I love you, Whitney." He said, the power and conviction behind those four simple words never failed to leave her breathless and today was no different.   His tongue flicked out and wet his bottom lip.  He cleared his throat nervously then finally spit the words out.  "Will you marry me?"

"Yes." She replied without even having to think about it.  He let go a sigh of relief as she threw back the covers and flung her arms around him.  "Yes!" She exclaimed.  He rose up on his knees and hugged her tightly. 

"I was so afraid you'd say no." He confessed with a relieved chuckle. 

"After all that?" She said with a shaky laugh as she sniffed and blinked back the tears.  "How could I say no?"  He laughed as he tightened his arms around her.   She pulled back after a few moments and looked at him.  Placing her hands on either side of his face she pressed her lips to his, kissing him deeply.  Their kiss continued-each taking their time in tasting the other one and savoring this moment.  Finally, she pulled back and rested her forehead against his.  Her eyes remained closed for another moment but then she opened them and met his sapphire gaze.

He loosened his arms from around her and Whitney pulled back-watching as he removed the engagement ring from its box.  Taking her left hand in his, he slid the ring into place on her third finger.  "It's beautiful, Jace." She told him, taking in the way the diamond sparkled as she moved her hand from side to side.  Their eyes met and she had to blink back the tears that wanted to fall.  He placed his hands on her face as he leaned forward and kissed her softly, sweetly.  "This is the second best Christmas present I've ever gotten." She told him as his thumbs brushed away the tears that fell down her cheeks. 

"What's the best present you've ever received?" He asked. 

"You." She replied, putting a hand to his face.  She leaned forwarded and pressed her lips against his warmly.  "You."

End Notes:
whad'ya think??  :) 
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1954