Naturally by jersey_tenn
Past Featured StorySummary:

 

When you know it’s meant to be
Everything comes naturally, it comes naturally
When you're with me, baby
 

“Naturally” – Selena Gomez


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Group, JC Chasez, Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Celebrity/Celebrity, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: No Word count: 102642 Read: 86867 Published: Jan 15, 2010 Updated: Apr 12, 2011

1. Prologue - Chance Meeting by jersey_tenn

2. Chapter 2 – Game, Curves, and A Whole Lotta Sass by jersey_tenn

3. Chapter 3 - Start of a friendship… by jersey_tenn

4. Chapter 4 -- Maria, Maria by jersey_tenn

5. Chapter 5: Caring for a Friend by jersey_tenn

6. Chapter 6: One Wild Night by jersey_tenn

7. Chapter 7: Lay Your Hands on Me by jersey_tenn

8. Chapter 8: Bye Bye for Now by jersey_tenn

9. Chapter 9: Just one little... by jersey_tenn

10. Chapter 10: Surprises! Surprises! by jersey_tenn

11. Chapter 11: Laughing Hyenas by jersey_tenn

12. Chapter 12: Lucky SOB by jersey_tenn

13. Chapter 13: Waiting for a Spark... by jersey_tenn

14. Chapter 14: Tonight's the Night by jersey_tenn

15. Chapter 15: Whenever You Call by jersey_tenn

16. Chapter 16: Oh by jersey_tenn

17. Chapter 17: Sexy Bumblebee by jersey_tenn

18. Chapter 18: Shoes! Shoes! Shoes! by jersey_tenn

19. Chapter 19: Don't Stop by jersey_tenn

20. Chapter 20: Have We Met? by jersey_tenn

21. Chapter 21: Hanging... by jersey_tenn

22. Chapter 22: Shoulda Been You... by jersey_tenn

23. Chapter 23: Jaded by jersey_tenn

24. Chapter 24: Knight in shining armor... by jersey_tenn

25. Chapter 25: Turning Back Time... by jersey_tenn

26. AUTHOR'S NOTE by jersey_tenn

27. Chapter 26: Fly High, My Angel by jersey_tenn

28. Chapter 27: New York Minute: Right Behind You by jersey_tenn

29. Chapter 28: The Miracle Worker by jersey_tenn

Prologue - Chance Meeting by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
Please give feedback!

 “Yo, J! Can you lower your music?” JC banged on Justin’s neighboring hotel room door. 

“What music? I was on my way to tell you to lower yours,” Justin grumbled as he stood in his doorway. 

“Well, if it ain’t you, then where is the music coming from?” JC asked as they looked up and down the hall trying to figure out where the music had been playing. 

“Hey guys, I’m sorry for disturbing you,” a female voice from behind JC caused the two boys to snaps their heads around. 

“Whoa! Watch the whiplash!” the female giggled and commented. It truly had been comical to see their reaction. 

“Sorry, we didn’t see you there,” JC chuckled a bit as his eyes came in contact with the prettiest brown eyes he’d seen in a long time. Standing there in black sweatpants, black muscle tank, and black sandals, she looked so young and yet so mature. 

“It’s cool. I just wanted to apologize for the noise. I’m trying to write some stuff and sometimes I forget these walls aren’t soundproof. I’ll keep it down,” she replied with a flick of her hand in the direction of her opened hotel room and a slight embarrassed chuckle. 

“You were writing music?” Justin spoke up from behind JC. 

“Yeah, I just had some ideas running through my head, and I couldn’t sleep without writing them down. Now, it’s 3am and I’m stuck on this one piece. Sorry,” she replied all the while tucking a section of her honey brown hair behind her ear. 

“Don’t keep apologizing, it’s no big deal. I’m Justin, by the way, and this is my group mate JC,” Justin smiled reaching out a hand to shake. 

“Group mate? What group are you guys a part of? I’m Ana, nice to meet you,” she inquired and shook both their hands. 

“Maybe you’ve heard of us, we’re in Nsync,” JC replied all the while keeping a grasp of her hand. 

“Oh my Lord, I’m such a fool. I knew I recognized you guys from somewhere. Wow, what a dork. It’s so nice to finally get to talk to y’all. Johnny has been telling me all these things about you guys, and I’m just like ‘I need to meet them’,” she chuckled placing a hand over her heart as realization struck her. 

“How do you know Johnny?” Justin inquired after sharing a confused glance with JC. Now, both men were even more confused. 

“He’s my manager, of course. I’m Ana Mora!” she exclaimed. 

“You’re Ana Mora?!?!” they both exclaimed in surprised. They’d heard so much from Johnny about this sexy and feisty singer chick from Atlanta that he’d just begun to managed. It was all he could talk about day in and day out. From his stories, they were expecting this over-the-top-Beyonce-look-a-like chick from the Dirrty South. Never did they imagine that she was this 5’7, big-golden-eyed, culry-haired, college-student-look-a-like, poised, and simple-elegant beauty that stood before them. No, seriously, she had the biggest golden eyes – golden like a cat’s eyes. Golden with speckles and streaks of green rushing through them.

“I guess you’ve heard of me. Nothing bad, I hope,” Ana nervously chuckled all the while letting her hotel door to rest on her hip. 

“Oh no, we’ve heard all great things about you. You just threw us for a loop there. Are you here on tour?” Justin recovered from his surprised reaction. 

“Yeah, I play the Arena tomorrow night. I had a small club show tonight, but now it seems I’m in writing mode. I’m going to be so sorry I stayed up tomorrow. What about you guys?” Ana replied. 

“We had a show tonight at the Arena. We leave tomorrow for the next town,” JC replied while scratching the back of his neck. 

“You mind if we come over and give a listen to your song. Maybe we can help you finish it,” Justin inquired. JC’s head snapped in his direction in confusion. 

“You guys write?” Ana asked in surprise. Do boybands write their own music nowadays? Have I been overseas for too long? 

“Yeah, we do. We wrote a couple of the songs on this new album ourselves,” Justin boasted proudly. 

“Well, then, come on in,” Ana exclaimed before motioning them to enter her hotel room. Justin ran back inside his room to get his key before crossing the hall and into her room. 

“This can get pretty interesting!”Ana mumbled as she closed the door behind her.

 

 

############################

Ana Joelle Mora

 

 

 

 

JC Chasez

 

 

 

 

Justin Timberlake

 

 

 

Elena Cruz Mora

 

 

Cecilia Luz Mora

 

 

Katia Itzel Mora

 

 

Myra Roxana Mora

 

 

Lance Bass, Chris Kirkpatrick, Justin Timberlake, Joey Fatone, JC Chasez

 

***This is how I like to remember the guys - full of humor, talent, and charm ***

End Notes:

FEEDBACK! PLEASE!

Chapter 2 – Game, Curves, and A Whole Lotta Sass by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
Feedback please!

Atlanta, GA – May 2000

“What time are the buses pulling out, Lance?” asked Joey from the courtside bench. All the guys were scattered around the basketball court tying shoelaces or stretching. They were heading to Orlando for tomorrow night’s performance, so they all decided to stay in the city an extra day to catch a Braves game and some Atlanta nightlife.  

“Dude, I just told you not even twenty minutes ago. You’re such a brain fart. They pull out at 6am,” Lance replied before standing up and grabbing a basketball from the rack that the hotel had provided. 

“Oh shut up! Let’s play!” Joey exclaimed as he joined the guys in the middle of the court. It was without a word that they split into two teams – JC and Chris versus Justin, Joey, and Lance. 

“Did anybody hear that loud ass music on our floor last night? I swear, this is exactly why we should always book an entire floor. Peace and quiet,” Lance commented as he bounced the ball back and forth contemplating his next move. 

“Jace and I heard it. He thought it was me, and I thought it was him. Turned out it was the chick staying across the hall from me,” Justin replied receiving the pass from Lance and making an easy lay-up. 

“Was she hot?” Chris asked. Justin and JC looked at each other before nodding their heads. 

“Smoking,” JC replied and Justin nodded his head showing his approval. 

“Did you get her phone number?” Lance asked. They were all used to playing basketball with one another that they never even called each other’s moves. It was almost like they could read each other’s movements. 

“Oh yeah, we helped her write a song too. Well, JC helped her with the vocals & lyrics. I helped her with the actual music,” Justin replied as JC stole the ball mid-dribble. 

“What the hell? She sings? Who is she?” Joey questioned stopping in the middle of the court and causing Chris to run straight into his back. 

“Dammit, Joey, what is your problem?” Chris grumbled as he rubbed his nose. 

“Sorry. Idiot over there caught me off-guard,” Joey replied pointing at a smiling Justin before giving Chris a shy shrug. 

“Dude, you’ve heard Johnny talk about that new chick he signed onto the team, right? Ana Mora? Well, she’s playing the Arena tonight and she happened to be staying across the hall. She came out to apologize for the noise and before we knew, we’d helped her finish a song,” JC explained as his shot swooshed into the net. 

“And you didn’t call us?!?! What the hell! She’s hot! I’d definitely do her,” Chris exclaimed before grimacing at JC’s slap upside the head. 

“She’s also 19, you pervert!” the guys snorted in response. 

“And, she’s in the room,” a female voice echoes off the court floors. All five guys snapped around in the direction of the voice.

“Whoa, I need to stop that or I’m gonna get murdered by all the teenies for causing you five whiplash!” 

“Hey girl! Watcha doing?” Justin chuckled at her comment before walking towards her. The other four guys followed behind him. 

“I wanted to hit the gym before my day began, but it’s packed, so I thought I’d try the courts. Nice to meet you three, I’m Ana Mora,” Ana replied with a sweet smile and a hand to shake. Slowly, Joey, Lance, and Chris greeted her and introduced themselves. 

“Well, we just started the game and we’re an odd number. If you want, you can join us,” JC spoke up. 

“Sure, but only if you guys don’t mind,” Ana replied as she looked to the other four reassurance. Without missing a beat, they all agreed to have her join them. Placing her duffle bag on a bench, Ana tied her long brown waves up in a ponytail, rolled up her sweatpants, and retied her shoelaces. Getting placed with JC and Joey, the six commenced their game. 

To Ana, it was easy to see that they were going easy and being careful with their game because of her. She’d been watching them play before she’d spoken up, so she knew they could play rough. She wasn’t afraid of physical contact; this was a sport after all. 

“Guys! Can you please stop worrying me being a girl and actually play some damn basketball?” Ana groaned as Chris easily gave up the ball for the fourth time after she rushed to block him. 

“Who’s going easy, squirt?” Justin panted as he wiped the sweat off his face with his t-shirt. 

“If Chris hands me the ball in my hands one more time, I’m going to blow a fuse. Look, I may be a girl, but I can handle a game with you five. So, can we please play some real basketball? Geez, I may need to go find a corner game for some real game,” Ana replied. She was intentionally insulting them; maybe this way they’d want to prove their skills. 

“Oh hell no, I got game, boo! It’s on. You should be careful about getting what you ask for,” Justin retorted pointing a finger at her and taking the ball from her hands. Ana could see the competitive spark in his eyes light up and smirked at her success. 

“Bring it on, Curly!” Ana challenged while redoing her ponytail. The other four guys looked at each other and heaved a heavy sigh. They all knew that Justin could become ruthless on the court when challenged. For some reason though, they feared for his ego moreso than for Ana’s safety. 

“I think she got moves that J ain’t expecting,” Lance murmured to the other four as they watched Ana check Justin and the game resumed. They all spread to take their place as Justin charged down the court with Ana trailing his every move. Before anyone could blink or think twice, Ana swooped around in front of Justin and smoothly stole the ball from his grasp. Turning quickly towards the other end of the court, she dribbled to the three point line and effortlessly swooshed the ball into the net. 

“Nothing but net, baby!” she boasted as she hopped past Justin with a bright smile on her face. The other four guys held their smirks hidden but all high-fived Ana as Justin looked away and grumbled. 

#### 

“Oh man, I am beat!” Chris complained as he fell to the floor in the middle of the basketball court. Lance and Joey soon joined him. 

“Already? Really? Man, aging sucks,” Ana kidded as she jogged to a stop next to them. Looking down at them, she chuckled and wiped her face with her tank. 

“How are you not out of breath? You talk as much as you run around,” Chris grumbled. An hour into the game and they were all talking smack with one another. It was as if they’d all known each other for years, and no insult was off limits. Ana was proving beyond capable of hanging with the boys without looking being trashy. 

“You got jokes, grandpa?” Ana joked and poked Chris in the ribs with her foot continuously. Finally, he got fed up with her and jumped to his feet. Taking off, Ana ran away from him and rounded the court several times. The guys watched on in entertainment as her long legs carried her further and further away from Chris. 

“It’s called youth, gramps!” Ana exclaimed as she ran up behind JC who was talking a swig from his water bottle. Chris rolled to a stop and leaned on his knees trying to catch his breath. 

“You’re a beast, Ana. I’m not messing with you,” Joey commented with a slight chuckle from the floor. 

“You should play in our charity game this summer,” Justin spoke up from the bench. 

“When is it?” Ana’s curiosity was peaked. 

“July, New York City, it’s a weekend filled with a challenge course and the celebrity game,” Lance replied. Ana drank from her water bottle before nodding her head. 

“I’m in New York all July to record. I’m sure that I can make it. I’ll tell Johnny and see if I can make it. I’d love to do it,” Ana smiled before checking her watch. Grimacing, she began to pack her things. 

“It’s time for me to go guys. Thanks for letting me join your game and whooping your ass, Timberlake,” Ana smirked as she slung her duffle bag on her shoulder. The other guys chuckled as Justin glared at her. 

“Just going easy on you, pumpkin. I’d hate to have your people all on me because I made ya cry,” Justin retorted with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. 

“I hope that helps you sleep at night,” Ana replied before kissing each guy on the cheek and turning to walk out the courts. Waving once more from the doorway, she disappeared from view. 

“She’s feisty, J,” Lance commented as the guys began to gather their belongings too. 

“She’s something else, that’s for sure,” Chris replied. 

“We should try to catch her show tonight. I haven’t heard her album, but man, she can sing!” JC suggested as they all piled into the elevator. Upon agreeing, the guys decided to shower before heading out to the early afternoon baseball game and then the concert. 

#### 

Walking onstage in a black strapless jumpsuit with a wide black belt accentuating her petite waist, 19-year-old Ana smiled and took a swig from her water bottle. 

“ATLANTA!!!! What’s up?!?!”Ana adjusted the microphone into the stand as she sat at the piano. Ears rang as the arena was overcome with the crowd’s roar and applause. 

“I’m so happy to be home tonight!! We got some special guests in the house tonight! Some of you might’ve seen them perform last night, but they are here tonight! Everyone, give a round of applause to my new friends, NSYNC!” Ana exclaimed as the spotlights hit the V.I.P area! The guys’ faces were projected on the jumbotrons as the crowd went crazy. Ana cheekily smirked and waved to the guys before turning back to the audience. 

“Ok, I’m gonna pay for that one, but oh well. Are you guys having fun so far?” The audience screamed their response. “Well, I’m gonna let my dancers catch their breath, so I’m gonna slow things down for a couple songs. They love me for this little break,” Ana kidded before chuckling into the mic. The arena stage was completely dark with a single-beamed spotlight focused on the singing sensation. 

“Sometimes we try to be everything to someone, but we end up being a nobody. We gotta live for ourselves, my friends. This song here is a newbie, so bare with me. Some very special friends of mine helped me write this just last night so you guys are the first to hear. I hope you enjoy it. It’s called ‘That I Would Be Good,’ and it’s for all those broken hearts out there. It goes a little like this…” she spoke before the melodious sounds of her fingers dancing across the ivory keys seeped through the house speakers. 

that I would be good even if I did nothing
that I would be good even if I got the thumbs down
that I would be good if I got and stayed sick
that I would be good even if I gained ten pounds

that I would be fine even if I went bankrupt
that I would be good if I lost my hair and my youth
that I would be great if I was no longer queen
that I would be grand if I was not all knowing

that I would be loved even when I numb myself
that I would be good even when I am overwhelmed
that I would be loved even when I was fuming
that I would be good even if I was clingy

that I would be good even if I lost sanity
that I would be good
whether with or without you
 

“Damn, she is good!” Joey yelled to the others as they all sat in the VIP area at Philips Arena in Atlanta. 

“Who knew there was more to Jive’s newest sensation?” Chris commented. 

“Could you sound any more like an ass?” Lance replied with a harsh snap. 

“I’m not trying to be an ass. But, her last album doesn’t show her vocals off. She’s really good,” Chris replied. On either side of him, Joey and JC were mesmerized by the singing bird onstage. 

All five stood to applaud her as she ended the song. Bowing her head graciously, Ana smiled at the crowd before tinkering with the keys a bit more. She was nearing the end of her show, and she was happy with the audience’s response. 

“ATL! Let me hear you scream!” Ana exclaimed into the mic as she walked towards the center of the stage. Pausing as the audience cheered, she smiled brightly. The monitors showed her wipe away some sweat from her brow with a small towel. 

“Now, I know the dirrty dirrty south can do better than that! I said: ‘ATL! Let me hear you scream!”

“Let’s see if you guys remember this oldie. Hit it guys!” Ana cued the band and the sweet chords of her first ballad hit the airwaves. 

Yesterday, was not just another day

 Not like before

Yesterday, I saw your smilin' face

Love walked through, my door

One precious moment

Changed my life

One tender kiss

Made everything right

One touch from you

And this world was mine

It was in your arms where I found forever  

 

Cried my first tears of joy, last night

Heaven shined a light

All my dreams came true

My first night with you 

 

I felt the sun

Shine so bright on me

Chased the rain from my heart

Through the storm

Through the darkest night

I found my brightest star

One magic moment

Made one magic night

I fell in love

With one look in your eyes baby

I never knew I could feel so alive

Darling, in your arms

I could feel forever  

 

Cried my first tears of joy, last night

Heaven shined a light

All my dreams came true

My first night with you

 

One precious moment

Changed my life

One tender kiss

Made everything right

One touch from you

And this world was mine

It was in your arms baby

where i found for ever and ever.... 

“Thank you,” Ana words were inaudible as she took a bow and left the stage amid a standing ovation. Rushing off the stage, she was quickly rushed around the backstage to her last mark. Her wardrobe stylist rushed with her as she transformed her pant-jumpsuit ensemble into black cropped shorts, knee-high black boots, and a white 80s-style cropped bustier. Looking around, she spotted her seven dancers in a variety of black and white outfits. The thumping bass and drum for her last song boomed through the arena as the strobe lights blinded the crowd. Running out to the center of the stage, she joined her dancers into the intro dance break before the first verse. 

It's after midnight and shes on you phone (phone)
Sayin'come over cuz shes all alone (lone)
I could tell it was your ex by your tone (tone)
Why is she callin now after so long

Now, what is it that she wants
Tell me what is it that she needs
Did she hear about the brand new benz that you just bought for me
Cuz yall didnt have no kids
Or share no mutual friends
And you told me that she turned trick when yall broke up in 96..
 

“Damn, she can dance, too,” JC elbowed Justin in the side as they watched Ana grind and pop on beat with the heavy R&B beats. She was seriously breaking it down with the poles that she used as a prop. The battle-esque dance number showcased her dance skills very well. 

“Look at that body! Damn, I didn’t know dancing could do the body so good,” Joey hissed as he playfully bit his fist to demonstrate his appreciation for her body. 

“Seriously, Joe, you creep me out,” Justin shuddered causing the guys to chuckle before turning their attention back to Ana onstage. Until today, they’d never seen a 19-year-old with the curves of a woman. Yes, they knew she was attractive and they’d all gotten an eyeful of her body while playing basketball with her earlier today. There was only so much that sweatpants, sportsbra, and tank top could cover up, right? But, seeing her abs, thighs, and arms flex in accordance to her dancing was driving them all crazy. Standing to applaud her almost 2-hour-long show, they all looked at each other – wordlessly expressing that they were all individually impressed. 

“ATLANTA!!!! Thank you! I LOVE YOU! GOODNIGHT!” Ana yelled into her mic while taking a final as her band began to the closing music. 

 

Song Credits:

“That I Would Be Good”—Alanis Morissette

My First Night With You”—Mya

“Case of the Ex”—Mya

End Notes:

Feedback please!

Chapter 3 - Start of a friendship… by jersey_tenn

July 27, 2000 – New York City 

Stepping out into the hallway, Ana locked up her condo and set the alarm before climbing down the stairs to the lobby and into the awaiting car. It was roughly 7am in New York City, and she was headed to the first interview of the day. The Challenge for the Children event was in a couple of days, and Ana had volunteered to do massive promotion in addition to Nsync’s promotion. She was already scheduled to do film promotion, so Johnny had liked the idea of adding star power to the 2nd year event. 

Watching the sea of people invading the sidewalks, Ana thought about everything that’d happened in the last 2 months. Since their meeting in Atlanta, Ana and the guys had become fast friends. After finishing her tour last month, she’d pop up in on their tour a couple of times. It felt good to find friends in this industry, and these guys were just amazing. At least one of them checked in on her every day. Suddenly, she’d gained five brothers.

She’d wrapped up her tour last month, and was already writing for her next album. She’d collaborated with Christina Aguilera, Pink, Lil Kim, and Missy Elliot for “Lady Marmalade” and had filmed the video for the song. Photoshoot after photoshoot, interview after interview, show after show, autograph after autograph, and rumor after rumor had controlled her life for the past two months. Now, she was finally on break for two months. In October, her first film would be released. Training Day with Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke; it wasn’t a huge role but she had to start somewhere, right? 

“Ana, we’re here,” her bodyguard, Wolf broke through her thoughts as the car came to a curbside stop. 

“What’s the schedule look like again?” Ana asked as she waited for the security clearance. 

“GMA interview, Regis, View and then we head over to a couple of radio stations before finishing up with TRL,” Lacy, her assistant, reminded her as they stepped out of the car and into a sea of flashing bulbs. Thankfully, Ana had already adjusted her sunglasses; she walked with her head held high and a bright smile upon her face. Looking past the photographers, Ana saw a small group of fans trying to push their way through; a group no bigger than ten. 

“Lacy, let me sign for them really quick. Just give me five minutes,” Ana spoke into Lacy’s ear before allowing security to make room for the group of fans to push through. Smiling brightly, Ana greeted crying faces, shook shaky hands, signed album covers, and posed for memorable pictures. Allowing her security to pull her into the building, Ana waved one last time before focusing back on the task at hand. 

“Make-up really quick and then you’ll be set,” Lacy explained as Ana sat in the chair in front of the mirror. The make-up fussed over her make-up for about twenty minutes before leaving them to sit and wait. Adjusting her chocolate-brown tresses, Ana gave herself a once over before stepping out to follow the stagehand. 

The stagehand attached the microphone to her white flower-printed strapless summer dress; she finished the look with nude colored stiletto sandals. In a blur, the morning interviews were over. Before she knew it, she was eating lunch in the TRL greenroom waiting for the show to begin. 

Training Day? Really? Denzel? Damn girl, y didn’t we know this? 

Her phone beeped and upon checking, Justin’s text glared at her. 

Ana: you guys never asked

Justin: whats the role about?

Ana: Denzel’s my sugah daddy & I’m his baby mama! ;p

Justin: well, look at ya, who knew you had it in ya?

Ana: not so innocent now, huh?

Justin: we knew that after Marmalade but now we know just how much

Ana: oh whatever…I’m more innocent than ya girl

Justin: I won’t argue that – wink, wink

Ana: perv – where r u guys now?

Justin: :-O NYC – soundcheck. U?

Ana: NYC – TRL. Gotta talk about y’all like I like y’all or something

Justin: don’t deny us. We all know u love us & u’re in love with JC

Ana: u found me out; gotta run now, but I’ll see ya tonight 

 

#### 

 

“Ana’s on TRL today,” Justin announced as he walked into the dressing room backstage at Madison Square Garden. 

“Dude, it’s on now, turn it on,” Joey replied from the couch. Lance switched on the television set just as Carson Daly began to talk about the next guest. 

“And on today’s show, we have one of the hottest pop singers on the scene today. She just wrapped up her Fear of Flying world tour this past month – a tour that took her to six continents in the span of 8 months. She stars in the new Denzel Washington movie coming out this fall. She dances, sings, writes, produces, acts, and she looks fantastic all the while. Ladies and gentlemen, please give it up for Ana Mora!” Carson announced as the crowd went into hysterics. Ana walked out in her summer dress and nude heels, smiling and shaking hands while making her way to Carson. 

“Nice to see you again!” Carson greeted her as she hugged and kissed his cheek. 

“It’s so nice to be back! I’ve been all out of the loop for a while now, so it feels good to get back and visit you guys again,” Ana spoke into her microphone while she walked over to the windows overlooking Times Square. There was a fairly large crowd of fans outside – jumping and screaming for her. She smiled and waved before turning back to the in-house audience. 

“So, tell us, what’s new with you? I mean besides getting prettier and prettier,” Carson flirted with her. 

“Oh, Carson, you’re such a charmer! Well, you’ve summed up my life pretty much. Last month, I finished my world tour. Currently, I’m in the city working on some side projects and writing. Hopefully, I’ll be back in the studio in September for a summer release next year. Training Day comes out in October, I believe. This weekend I’m taking part in this event called Challenge for the Children here in the city, so everyone needs to come out and support the event,” Ana smiled at Carson. 

“This event, what exactly is it?” Carson questioned. 

“It’s a charity celebrity basketball game. All proceeds from the event go towards a variety of children charities from around the country,” Ana explained as details of the event began to scroll across the screen. 

“Now, tell everyone who organizes this event,” Carson prompted her with a sly smile. Ana chuckled before looking at the audience. 

“You guys may or may not have heard of this tiny no-name group of guys that like to pretend to sing and dance. I think they go by N*Suck, right?” Ana kidded as Carson and the audience laughed. 

“I think you mean, Nsync,” Carson laughed. Ana pretended to catch her error and look mockingly remorseful. 

“Oh gosh, yeah, that’s who I meant,” Ana chuckled as her joke got the best of her.

“No, I’m kidding. I love those guys, and I was too excited to join them this weekend. They’re actually playing a couple shows at Madison Square Garden, and I believe they film HBO tonight.”

“Wow, you’re like their very own promoter, huh? Let’s get to the next video and when we come back, we’ll get the details on how Ana became involved in this Nsync event,” Carson introduced the next video and they cut to commercial afterwards. 

“And we’re back! Here in the studio with us today we have the hottest popstar on the scene, Ana Mora!” Carson announced as the show came back from commercial. Ana simply smiled and waved to the camera. 

“Before we went to commercial, you were talking about the charity event that the boys from Nsync have organized. It’s called Challenge for the Children, and it’ll be this weekend here in the City. Now, I have a question, well, an observation if you like, about these guys. They are linked to the hottest women on earth. Justin and JC were on the Mickey Mouse Club as kids with Britney and Christina. And now, they have you here promoting their event and you’ve been seen checking out several of their shows across the country. How did you guys meet? And is there any truth that you are currently dating JC?” Carson was quick and to the point. 

“Oh wow, really, that’s a rumor? I hadn’t heard about that one. I think my PR is lagging,” Ana chuckled as she thought about the rumor. “No, I’m sorry to disappoint, but I am not dating JC. I actually met the guys for the first time back in May. We were staying at the same hotel – they’d just played and I was playing the following night. I was totally making too much noise because I was writing in my hotel room and they came over to complain about the noise. We share management, so we knew of each other. That night, we chatted, Justin and JC helped me write a song, and the next day I joined them in playing basketball. Now, I’m gonna add to the fire here, but I don’t know if you guys know this, but Justin is a sport fanatic. I didn’t know this until I was playing basketball with him. He’s really competitive and he hates to lose. JC, Joey, and I were on a team against Justin, Chris, and Lance, and, I have to boast about this. We totally beat them, and Justin maintains that he went easy on me. But, world, he totally got beat by a girl. And this weekend, he’s going down, again” Ana smirked as the audience cheered and Carson laughed. She knew that Justin would be watching (or would watch later), so she wanted to rub it in his face one last time. 

“Oh, those are fighting words!” Carson laughed before introducing the next two videos. 

“And we’re back here with Ana Mora, and she’s telling us about her on-going basketball battle with Justin Timberlake from Nsync. Surprisingly, we have him on the phone line right now. I guess he’s watching and decided to call us in. Justin, you there?” Carson spoke before Justin’s voice rang in the studio. The crowd went crazy before they could continue the conversation. 

“Hey Carson, how’s it going? Hey squirt!” Justin greeted them; Ana smirked before returning the greeting. 

“So, Justin, is it true what Ana is here telling us? Did her team really beat your team?” Carson prodded. 

“We went easy on her. We didn’t want to make her cry or anything like that, so we let her have the game,” Justin kidded as Ana scoffed and rolled her eyes. 

“That’s why I was dribbling circles around Chris’s head, right? Justin, pumpkin, just face it. You lost,” Ana retorted as the audience ‘ooh’ and ‘ahh’. 

“Squirt, we’re gonna settle this on the court this weekend. One-on-one. Your team against my team,” Justin challenged. 

“You’re on, superstar. We’ll have documented proof this time around,” Ana accepted his challenged and smiled as he heard his distinct chuckle. 

“Well, there you have it. This weekend, it’ll be the clash of the superstars. Justin Timberlake versus Ana Mora in a one-on-one basketball game,” Carson concluded as Justin got off the phone. 

“It’s all for the kids, Carson,” Ana reminded him with a large smile upon her face, “And some selfish personal self-gratifying reasons.” The audience laughed along with Carson and the interview continued through one last commercial break. 

“Wow, she totally just challenged you on national television,” Lance said in awe as Justin wrapped up the phone call and the show cut to commercial. 

“Yep, and it’s on,” Justin smirked. 

“Dude, she challenged you while wearing a dress and heels,” Chris reminded him. The other guys nodded as if truly contemplating her boldness. “She’s got balls.” 

“Forget about that. Where did this rumor that we’re dating come from?” JC grumbled from the opposite end of the couch. 

“Does it matter? I wouldn’t mind being linked to that honey,” Joey let out a low whistle while rubbing his hands together. 

“I don’t care, Joey. I don’t need any more shit on my plate right now. Bobbie already thinks I cheat on her,” JC argued back. The other four guys rolled their eyes before standing to leave to do sound-check. 

“The best thing that could happen to you is for someone who already has a career and doesn’t need a stepping stone like Ana to be with you. The best thing that you could do is let Bobbie go, once and for all,” Chris snarled as he passed JC by. All the guys were tired of seeing Bobbie walk all over JC, and he allowing it. 

#### 

“Mama, this is Ana Mora. Ana, this is my mama, Lynn,” Justin introduced the two women as they all packed into the Planet Hollywood restaurant after their concert and earlier press conference. Last night’s concert had been televised by HBO and it had gone without a hitch. And tonight, they had played their last MSG concert. The charity basketball game was tomorrow, and everyone was psyched. 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, ma’am. You’re all that Justin talks about,” Ana hugged her closely and kissed her cheek. 

“Oh honey, the pleasure’s all mine. Any person that can put my baby is his place is great in my book. But, look at you, you’re gorgeous!” Lynn exclaimed as she held Ana at arm’s length and looked her up-and-down. Her white jeans sat low on her hips and hugged her every curve and her navy blue off-the-shoulder shirt stopped just below her bellybutton and exposed her stomach. Gold stiletto sandals, gold jewelry, and loose curls finished her casual chic look. 

“Oh, stop it,” Ana replied as a blush rose to her cheeks. 

“No really, you’re just gorgeous. Most of the time beauty on TV is all make-up, but you are just gorgeous. Isn’t she Justin?” Lynn looked over to Justin. Ana mock-glared at him daring him to agree with his mother. 

“Oh definitely, if Britney wasn’t in my life, Ana would be in serious trouble,” Justin kidded with a sly wink of the eye. Ana narrowed her eyes at his sarcasm and discreetly flipped him off. 

“But, what is this that I hear Ana is with JC? Is that right? I sure do hope so. It’s about time he opened his eyes and let go of deadweight,” Lynn sighed as she linked arms with Ana and walked further into the restaurant. 

“Oh no, Lynn, there is nothing going on between JC and me. It’s a lame rumor,” Ana stressed as they neared the table where all the boys and their guests were seated. The conversation was dropped and as the table-round conversation picked up. Food was served and the chatter never ceased. 

“What wrong with JC?” Ana whispered to Justin as she noticed JC’s quiet demeanor from across the table. He only spoke when spoken to, and normally, he’d be shoveling food into his mouth. Now, he pushed around his food and occasionally placed the quickly-cooling food into his mouth. 

“He broke up with Bobbie about 3 weeks ago, and today, she called to blame him for everything,” Justin explained in a quiet voice. He didn’t want JC jumping down his throat for letting Ana know what was happening. 

“What a bitch! Explanation?” Ana questioned as they continued to eat and lean towards each other to chat. 

“His career was holding back her career,” Justin snarled. Ana’s head snapped up in shock. 

“Are you kidding me? The only reason she’s where she is because she’s linked to him!” Ana hissed. Anger raced through her veins. She’d never liked Bobbie, whom she’d met on several occasions while interviewing at J-14. But, now, she could really hate her for putting JC through this. In the two months that she’d known him, she’d seen how madly (and blindly) in love he was with her; he’d jump through flaming hoops if necessary for her. 

“We agree with you, but he’s broken. We don’t know what to do with him,” Justin explained as he finished up his food. 

“Are we going out tonight?” Ana questioned and received a nod in response. “Great. I’ll cheer him up.” Justin looked at her for some type of explanation, but he received only a smile. Pretty soon the conversation turned to the charity event the following day; insults began to fly and challenges were issued between the two teams. Apparently, Justin and Ana were on opposing teams. Justin was the captain of the Daze and JC was the captain of the Knights. 

“Are you sure you want to put me on the opposing team, J? Because I won’t hesitate to polish the courts with your behind,” Ana challenged as the other guys chuckled. 

“Are you kidding me? I’ll be dusting the courts with that mane you got there,” Justin smirked as he flicked some of her curls away from her face. The rest of the dinner party just looked on at the playful exchange. 

“Whatever, Timberlake, I may just go easy on you in front of all your fans,” Ana replied as she drank some water. 

“Just remember we got the one-on-one to settle. And if by easy, you mean attempt to dribble, then please, by all means go easy on me,” Justin said. 

“Before this continues all night, let’s head out. I got too much energy to burn off,” Joey commented from down the table just as Ana opened her mouth to reply. Snapping her mouth shut, she turned her head towards Joey and agreed. 

“Yeah, let’s go paint the town red,” Ana cheered as all participating parties stood to leave. Only the parents and some band members stayed sitting down; they were going to let the young ones go out and have fun. Seeing Chris practically drag JC towards the waiting cars outside, Ana took it upon herself to catch up to them. 

“Save me a dance, popstar?” Ana questioned as she passed by them. Turning to walk backwards, she grinned at a bewildered JC. 

“You sure you’ll be left alone long enough to dance with us?” JC retorted while eyeing her outfit. 

“Well, that I’m not sure of, but since I’m only asking for a dance with you, then I think I can fit you in,” Ana smirked as JC’s eyes widen and Chris snorted. Ana maintained direct eye-contact with JC as the group crowded around the front door. There was a rowdy crowd of fans and photographers outside, which made security extra cautious. 

“Yeah, I think I can save you one. But, just one, I don’t want to make you look too bad,” JC kidded and caught Ana a bit off guard. 

“I’ll go easy on you, Josh. I won’t make you look too bad. Just control yourself, alright,” Ana said with a wink before allowing Wolf to pull her through the crowd and into the last seat of the blacked out SUV. Watching the rest of the group divide into two SUVs, Ana smiled to herself as she mentally prepared herself for a club night.

End Notes:
Feedback! Please!
Chapter 4 -- Maria, Maria by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
Please, please, please leave feedback! It's my first story so all criticism is welcomed!

“Who wants another?” Joey shouted as he stood to bring what was probably the third round of the night. No one really bothered to answer him as he nodded and walked away with Chris towards the bar set up in the VIP room of Club Haze. 

“Ana, you have been clubbing before, right?” Steven, Joey’s brother, asked as they all surveyed the dance floor over the balcony rails. 

“Of course,” Ana replied without glancing at him. She’d been feeling the itch to go dance since they’d walked in almost an hour ago. The dance floor was packed and security was being an ass not letting them go down there. Plus, the guys seemed only interested in drinking and not dancing. Music was her life. The only form of expression she’d ever known. Singing and dancing were her passions. 

“Its cool if this is your first time,” Steven continued making Ana, Justin, Lance, and JC snap their heads in his directions. It was obvious that he was feeling the effects of those shots he’d done with Chris earlier. 

“I just told you that I’ve been clubbing before,” Ana replied willing her anger to cool. 

“Once before, huh?” Steven pressed the issue. Ana gritted her teeth as he continued to mess with her. She was used to being considered young and all but she assumed because she was about Justin’s age that they’d let it go easier. Guess she was wrong. 

“What is your problem? I told you I’ve been clubbing before,” Ana seethed all the while keeping her voice steady. Steven smirked and leaned back looking at the other sitting at their table. 

“I don’t have a problem. I just don’t feel like babysitting tonight,” Steven smirked. Ana slammed her fist on the table and leaned as close as she could to his face considering there was a table between them. 

“Listen here, Steven. The only reason I’m not smacking the shit out of you is because Joey is a dear friend of mine. But, get this straight. I’ve clubbed, I’ve drank, and I’ve done some other dumb shit. I don’t need you or anyone to fucking baby-sit me. And if you want to really know, only thing left for me to do is screw,” Ana snarled and stood from her seat. Walking away she grabbed a shot from the tray of drinks that Joey carried on his way back to the table. Throwing her head back, she gulped the shot of what she now knew was tequila and made her way downstairs. 

“What’s her problem? Should she drink?” Joey asked as he rushed to put the tray down on the table. 

“Steven is her problem. She probably needed that shot more than any of us. And, no, this ain’t her first time drinking. Don’t ask her that,” JC replied as he shrugged his leather jacket off and headed in the same direction as Ana but not before slapping Steven upside the head. Joey looked questioningly at Steven and he received a shameful shrug in response. 

Making his way through the dance floor and politely declining requests to dance, JC spotted Ana dancing with some blonde guy close to the speakers. He pushed his way towards her and tapped her shoulder. 

“What the hell, JC? I can’t dance now either,” Ana groaned as she was met with JC’s stern face. JC looked at her dance partner and signaled that he was taking over. 

“No, you can dance all you want. What you can’t do is get upset like that, drink like that, and walk off like that without security. People are fucking crazy, Ana,” JC replied before pulling her close to him. Wrapping an arm around her waist, JC began the slow rocking motion to the song playing. Ana pulled back to fire back a comment, but was silenced by him once again. 

“Shut up and dance, Ana,” JC commanded with certain finality in his voice. Ana was left no other choice but to shut her mouth and follow his movements. She placed an arm around his neck and they both left an arm dangling to their sides. Without speaking another word, the two danced closer and closer, song after song. Finally deciding to look up at him, Ana raised her golden eyes to his water-like eyes. Before she could say anything, Justin came up to them and asked for a dance. JC reluctantly let go of her waist and turned to her before leaving. 

“Want a drink?” he spoke loud enough for her to hear. Ana nodded and grabbed on to Justin’s arms as he began to dance with her. Following JC with her eyes, she missed what Justin said. 

“Ana!” he exclaimed in an effort to gain her attention. 

“Huh? What?” Ana stammered slamming her eyes back to Justin’s smirking face. 

“I asked if you were ok, you know after Steven being an ass,” he repeated himself with a smirk. 

“Yeah, I’m fine. I’m used to people being like that. Why are you smirking?” Ana questioned raising and eyebrow to him. 

“Oh, no reason. I just wondered when JC’s clothes was gonna fly off since you’re practically undressing him with your eyes,” Justin kidded as he pulled her closer when she tried to step away. 

“What the hell are you talking about Justin? I’m just trying to make him have a good night. He needs to cheer up,” Ana stammered her protest. Secretly, her hands had begun to tremble as she realized the truth behind Justin’s statement. 

“Sure, you are,” he continued to kid. The smirk never left his face. If anything, he grew in size as he realized that JC was making his way back to them. 

“Stop smirking, you ass,” Ana gritted her teeth and playfully smacked Justin’s shoulder. Justin looked down and noticed a small blush on her cheeks and bellowed a chuckle. Ana’s blush grew deeper as Justin stepped away from her to laugh. Without saying a word, Justin walked away laughing as JC joined her with three drinks. 

“Sea Breeze for the lady, Beer for me,” JC spoke before taking a gulp of his Corona and keeping a hold of his other Corona in his hand. 

“Nice choice,” Ana replied before taking a sip of her vodka cocktail. Fanning herself, Ana attempted to cool herself off. She watched as he continued to gulp his first beer. A bead of sweat begin to make its way down to his forehead, so Ana instinctively reached up to wipe it away before it could fall in his eye. JC turned a raised eyebrow at her with a small smile gracing his lips. 

“You just gonna stand there or are you gonna dance with me?” JC smirked. Ana chuckled slightly before placing her hand in his extended hand. He pulled her and turned her around, leaving her to press her back to his front. The smooth sounds of Carlos Santana’s guitar made the entire club electric.  

Oh Maria Maria
She reminds me of a westside story
Growing up in Spanish Harlem
She's livin' her life just like a movie star
Oh, Maria Maria
She fell in love in East L.A.
To the sounds of the guitar
Played by Carlos Santana
 

Rocking her hips from side to side, Ana sighed as JC’s arm wrapped around her mid-drift and his hand smoothed flat against her abs. He pulled her tighter against his body, and Ana leaned her head back onto his collarbone. 

Stop the looting, stop the shooting
Pick pocking on the corner
See as the rich is getting richer
The poor is getting poorer
Se mira Maria on the corner
Thinkin' of ways to make it better
In my mailbox there's an eviction letter
Somebody just said see you later
 

Ana opened her eyes and looked upward towards the VIP balcony. She could see Justin and the other guys looking down directly at her. Justin caught her eye and winked at her before mouthing ‘Thank you’. Ana moved her gaze downward to where JC’s hand held her safely tucked towards him. There was no need for Justin to thank her; she was enjoying this too much. Feeling JC’s lips near her ear, Ana’s eyes fluttered close as chills ran down her spine. 

Maria you know you’re my lover
When the wind blows I can feel you through the weather
And even when we are apart
It feels like we are together
Maria, yeah
 

JC sang into her ear as he watched a bead of sweat run down the side of her neck and down into the front of her silk top. He was incredibly turned on by her and the alcohol in his system was not helping the situation. He’d had a couple of shots upstairs with the guys and now mixing in beer was probably not the best idea; plus, he needed to remember that she was only a teenager. 

Ana drank the last of her drink as they continued dancing. Before the night ended, Ana danced a bit with each of the guys before they all piled into the SUVs to head home. The first day of Challenge for the Children was tomorrow, and they all wanted to be well-rested. Dropping Ana off at her apartment first, the guys headed to their hotel before crashing for the night. 

#### July 29, 2000 - NYC 

“Ha! In your face buddy! Whoo!” Ana cheered as all the players headed into the locker rooms at St. John’s University. Ana was practically dancing and jumping around Justin, whom she’d just beat in their one-on-one game. Unfortunately, Justin’s team, the Daze had beat JC’s team, the Knights 41-34. But, once Justin and Ana had come back onto the court to settle their argument, Ana had beat Justin 31-29. 

“Pure luck, babes,” Justin grumbled as everyone hooted and hollered. Everyone was riled up about the success of the event. The basketball stadium at the university had been packed, and that was something they hadn’t expected. 

“Give it up, J. Ana beat you fair and square,” Chris teased Justin’s curls as they walked further down the hall. 

“Whatever,” he grumbled as he ducked into the dressing room and left the group laughing outside. Ana chuckled before heading to the showers along with Ananda Lewis and Pink. Showering quickly and changing into a pair of jeans, a white tank, and a pair of white Nike sneakers, Ana stepped back out to do some post-event interviews before heading home. 

“Ana, how was the event?” the reporter from People asked as he shoved a recorder in her face. Ana’s publicist had already warned her that she should prepare herself to field lots of JC-related questions. Apparently, Page Six was running a story on their “romantic and sultry” night out on the town the night before. 

“It was fun, exciting, and relaxing. It’s great for the guys of Nsync to put something like this together. The participants and all the fans have a good time all the while doing something good for the children,” Ana replied with a smile. 

“How was it playing with your boyfriend, JC?” another reporter asked. Ana turned her head with a smile. 

“I’m not too sure. I hate to correct you dear, but there’s nothing but a very nice friendship between me and any of the guys,” Ana replied before continuing to answer other event-related questions.  

“So, the shameless flirting going on between you two on the court was strictly platonic?” the same reporter’s annoying voice broke above the rest of the reporters. 

“It really is rude to come to interviews ill-prepared. Next question,” Ana remained poised and friendly while she snapped at the reporter. Fielding a couple more questions, Ana refused to let the reporter ruin her mood. 

Pretty soon, Wolf was escorting her through the stadium hallways towards the exit. She met the guys at the exit and hugged them all goodbye. They were all heading to their next concert stop, and she was heading to the airport to catch her flight to Los Angeles. 

“Thanks so much for joining us girl,” Joey smiled as he hugged her before heading out to the awaiting bus. 

“Thanks for letting me whoop your butt, Timberlake,” Ana smirked as she hugged him and rubbed his curls. He groaned and pushed away her hands. He smiled before kissing her forehead and following Chris and Lance out. 

“Fly safe and keep in touch, huh?” JC said as Ana turned to him. Ana nodded and wrapped her arms around his neck in a hug. 

“I will. You kick ass on your final show, and keep your head high,” Ana whispered into his shoulders. She felt JC sigh but nod an agreement. 

“Deal, and keep those filthy guys away from her, Wolf,” JC spoke to her security guard as he pulled away. Wolf chuckled but nodded. 

“Are you jealous of them, Chasez?” Ana kidded as they waited for Lonnie to come escort JC to the buses through the mass of photographers and fans waiting outside. 

“You’d like that too much, honey,” JC retorted with a smirk. 

“Yeah, I would. Take care,” Ana smirked before kissing his cheek and holding onto Wolf as he pushed the crowd himself. JC stood frozen in his place as he took in her words. Shaking his head clear, he smiled and blushed slightly. 

That girl is dangerous. And too young.

End Notes:
Feedback! Feedback!
Chapter 5: Caring for a Friend by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much for your feedback! Keep it coming!

Los Angeles, CA – August 2000 

“What do you mean ‘it’s a good PR move’?” Ana exclaimed as she paced Johnny’s LA office, “I’m not some rent-a-date, Johnny!” 

“Calm down, Ana. We just think that it would be a good move if you were to go with him as your date. The public loves him. You guys will stir some talk, and you get all this face-time,” Johnny tried to pacify the situation using a soothing voice. 

“Don’t patronize, Johnny!” Ana whirled around in mid-pace and pointed an accusing finger at Johnny, who flinched slightly from behind his desk. 

“Whoa, tiger, put away the claws!” came the slight chuckle from the doorway. Ana snapped around ready to bite whoever’s head had dared to joke at the moment. The crazed look in her eyes soothed as she saw Justin, along with JC and Chris, standing in the doorway. The semblance of a smirk rested on all three faces. 

“Shut up, Justin. Come in & shut the door. Johnny will be free soon enough,” Ana gritted as she waited for the three to scramble through the door and safely close the door behind them. The guys turned questioning looks towards Johnny, who merely shrugged, before taking a seat in the couches behind Ana. 

“Look Johnny, I don’t understand why I need the attention. I don’t have an album coming out. Promotion for the movie starts next month. Plus, I don’t know this dude,” Ana all but stomped her foot after taking a calming deep breath and running a hand through her curls in a sign of deep frustration. 

“Ana, you don’t want to fall out of the spotlight right now. You’re just picking up steam. The single is doing good. The movie is buzzing. The tour and the album were great. This is the moment to be in their face. We need to get you back in the studio asap,” Johnny sighed before continuing, “Ana, it’s just for a couple of hours.” 

“What’s going on?” Chris’s curiosity got the best of him and he voiced his question before he could stop himself. 

“Johnny here thinks it would be a great idea for me to go to the awards show with Mark Wahlberg,” Ana sighed as she dropped in a heap into the nearest chair. 

“What the hell, Johnny! He’s like Chris’s age! That’s perverted! No!” Justin jumped up from the couch and protested. 

“Hey! What’s wrong with my age?” Chris stood in defense. 

“No offense, Chris, but you’re like 10 years older than Ana,” Justin replied before turning back to Johnny.

“She’s not doing it, Johnny.” 

“Yeah, I’m not doing it Johnny,” Ana regained her courage and stood next to Justin in a united front.  

“Justin, this has nothing to do with you,” Johnny sternly replied pointing a finger at Justin. 

“Johnny, I don’t care what…Wait, Justin, I’m older than you!” Ana exclaimed once she realized that Justin was basically decided what she could and could not do. Granted he was agreeing with her, but she didn’t need anyone to defend her. 

“You may be older, but I’m taller than you. So, listen to me, alright,” Justin argued before turning back to Johnny. “Johnny, find someone else because she’s not going with him.” 

“Now, wait just one damn minute, Justin. We’re friends and all, but you don’t decided what I can and cannot do,” Ana exclaimed placing her hands on her hips and looking at Justin directly in the eye. Well, more like, looking up into his eyes. He did tower about five inches above her. 

“Ana, just please, wait. Johnny, seriously, Mark is like this big shot. Haven’t we all heard asshole stories? Why would you do that to Ana?” Justin continued his argument with Johnny. Unknowingly, he’d been joined by the other guys. Ana stood pouting with her arms crossed off to the side as the guys and Johnny argued back and forth about HER life. She felt like a little girl being told what to do by her brothers and father. 

“I’ll go with the guys,” Ana’s suggestion rose above the arguing. 

“What?” Johnny questioned as the four men hushed quickly. 

“Well, if you’re looking for good PR, then I’ll go with the guys. I’ll be their date. Everyone loves Nsync,” Ana smirked as she realized that she’d cornered Johnny. 

“You won’t go with 1 date, but you’ll go with 3 dates. Unbelievable,” Johnny mumbled as he rubbed the frustration away from his face. 

“I rather go alone then with ill company, Johnny. It’s either the guys or I go alone,” Ana stated firmly as she held Johnny’s gaze. She could hear the guys snicker when they realized that she’d cornered Johnny. 

“You can’t go with all three guys, Ana. So, pick one,” Johnny caved in and a smile danced across Ana’s face. 

“Way to make us feel like Chippendales, Johnny,” JC’s sarcasm caused Ana to chuckle. 

“I have a date,” Chris spoke up. 

“Me too,” Justin blushed. 

“Britney?” Ana questioned with an arched brow. 

“Momma,” Justin replied as his blush deepened with the guys’ snickers. 

“Well, then, JC is free,” Ana concluded and turned towards Johnny. 

“You’ll add to the fire, Ana. Just go with Mark,” Johnny sighed as he realized that sending Ana with JC would cause havoc in the gossip columns. Justin and Britney already had to go separately. 

“Johnny, the simple fact that we’ll both be in the same building adds to the fire. Besides, this will definitely keep my name and the guys’ name in the papers,” Ana suggested as she watched JC out the corner of her eye. 

“JC, how do you feel?” Johnny asked after a moment’s deliberation. 

“Well, it’s whatever really. I mean, I don’t care. Whatever you guys want to do is fine with me,” he stuttered his reply and shrugged nonchalantly. 

“Well, don’t jump too high for joy, I promise I’m not a boring date,” Ana grumbled. The guys chuckle slightly and turned to look at JC. 

“It’s a yes or no answer, JC,” Johnny commented. 

“I didn’t mean it like that Ana. Let’s do it. We stick to the ‘we’re just friends’ comment,” JC replied looking at Ana in the eye. He provided a small smile in hopes of amending his earlier comment. 

“Great. Then, it’s settled. We’ll talk shop later. Now, you guys can have Johnny all to yourselves,” Ana dismissed the topic and smiled brightly at the guys. 

“Well, we were just coming by to say ‘hello’. We didn’t expect to be auctioned off, though,” Chris smirked as he sat in one of the chairs and winked playfully at Ana. Ana chuckled, rolled her eyes, and gathered her notebooks before heading towards the door. 

“See you tomorrow night,” Ana said before closing the door behind her and walking down the hall to the front door. Lowering her sunglasses and adjusting her notebooks, Ana stepped out to blinding flashes. Pushing her way through the crowd with a constant smile, she made her way to her rented black Mercedes. 

#### 

“I can’t believe Johnny wanted to sell you out like that,” one of Ana’s older sisters Cecilia commented as she continued to straighten Ana’s long locks. 

“I know. I could’ve choked him, CeCe,” Ana replied as she finished applying her mascara. Cecilia had driven up from San Diego to visit Ana while she was in Los Angeles. 

“Oh, I imagine you could’ve. You always did have the worst temper of us all,” Cecilia retorted and playfully tugging Ana’s hair. 

“Oh hush, I needed the temper dealing with you four. It ain’t easy being the youngest of cinco,” Ana stuck her tongue out at Cecilia through the mirror. Cecilia sprayed some anti-frizz serum into Ana’s hair and announced her completion. 

“Thank you so much. I hate having to straighten this mess,” Ana sighed as she stood and untied her robe. 

“How come you didn’t have someone come do your hair and makeup?” Cecilia asked as she grabbed Ana’s dress from the hanger and walked over to her. 

“If I can avoid it, I rather do my own hair and makeup. Plus, I’m not performing or anything. Just presenting and nominated,” Ana replied putting her arms through the soft pink dress. Finding the zipper, Cecilia pulled it up to its stopping point – below Ana’s cleavage. 

“If papi saw you wearing this, he’d ground all five of us,” Cecilia snorted helping Ana adjust the dress. 

“Well, papi would also be very proud of us five, so let’s not think of sad stuff,” Ana smirked and sat down to slip on her nude leather Louboutin peep-toe pumps. Cecilia walked over with a diamond bracelet and diamond drop earrings. 

“When are you heading out? It’s almost 4,” Cecilia asked as she sat on the hotel bed watching Ana spritz some last minute perfume. 

“As soon as JC gets here,” came her distracted reply. 

“JC?” 

“Yeah, JC.” 

“Who’s JC?” 

“From Nsync.” 

“Wait, why is he coming here?” 

“Because he’s my date.” 

“What the hell?” 

“The guys were against me going with Mark as well yesterday, so I convinced Johnny to let me go with them. Turns out Justin and Chris had dates, but not JC. So, I’m his date,” Ana replied nonchalantly. 

“Ana…look at me. Loot at me, Ana,” Cecilia’s motherly voice spoke sternly waiting for Ana to look at her. Finally, Ana turned to meet her green eyes. 

“What, CeCe?” Ana sighed. 

“How old is JC?” Cecilia questioned. 

“Umm, 24, I think,” Ana mumbled. 

“You think?” Cecilia raised a questioning eyebrow. 

“I know, alright. He turns 25 like in two days,” Ana replied frustrated. 

“Do you like JC?” 

“Gosh, CeCe, quit it,” Ana sighed before there was a knock on the hotel door. Cecilia rush to open the door before Ana could make a move to open it herself. 

“Are you…whoa. Sorry. Do I have the wrong room?” JC stood in the hallway. He expected to see Ana open the door not her lookalike. 

“Depends, are you JC?” Cecilia questioned looking at his leather pants and black shirt outfit. 

“Uh, yes, that would be me. I was looking for Ana,” JC cautiously replied while smiling softly. 

“I’m her sister, Cecilia. She’s inside; would you like to come in?” Cecilia asked after shaking his hand. JC nodded and stepped into the hotel room. Ana walked out from around the corner and smiled at him. 

“Hey handsome, are you ready?” she asked. 

“I thought I was, but I may need extra security with you wearing that dress,” JC replied absentmindedly as he checked out her outfit from head to toe. 

“I told her papi would ground us all if he saw her wear that dress,” Cecilia broke through their silence. 

“Oh hush. JC, this is my sister, Cecilia. Cecilia, this is JC from Nsync,” Ana introduced them both. 

“I’ve already met JC from Nsync, but once again, it’s a pleasure to meet you,” Cecilia smiled and sat on the couch. They made small talk with her for a minute or two before announcing their departure. 

“I’ll see you for dinner,” Ana kissed her cheek and hugged her before stepping out into the hallway. Cecilia nodded and waved to them goodbye. 

“Wow, your sister looks just like you,” JC commented as they stood waiting for the elevator. 

“Actually, I look like her. She’s older than me,” Ana replied stepping into the elevator. 

“How many siblings do you have?” 

“Four. Sisters. It’s five of us in total,” Ana replied and chuckled at the shock written across JC’s face. 

“Wow. I couldn’t imagine having five sisters. I have one, and that is plenty,” JC chuckled while shaking his head. 

“Yes, five sisters – Elena, Cecilia, Katia, and Myra. I am the youngest,” Ana commented as they stepped out into the lobby and walked towards Justin and Chris. Both stood in their rockstar getups accompanied by Justin’s mom and Chris’s girlfriend, Dani. Lynn let out a low whistle as Ana and JC approached the group. 

“I know, doesn’t JC just look so hot?” Ana diverted the compliment to JC’s leather getup. The group chuckled before moving to head out. 

Ana rode with the guys to the awards show, and she walked with JC for about half of the red carpet. They separated for individual shots, and Ana avoided the press altogether. Similarly, Justin, Chris, and JC walked straight through without stopping for any interviews. 

“Seriously, Justin and Britney are nominated for choice hotties?” Ana whispered to JC as they sat listening as the presenter announced the nominees. 

“Corny, right?” JC softly chuckled. 

“Uh…duh. They gave no one else in the category a chance,” Ana smirked as JC tried to muffle his laughter. They watched as Justin and Britney walked onstage and playfully acted as if they were going to kiss. 

“They such goodie-two-shoes! I would’ve laid a wet one on her,” Chris mumbled from besides JC. 

“I’d do it just because I don’t like my PR guy, Walter,” Ana replied and laughed evilly. 

“Watch your back, JC,” Chris playfully warned as they all laughed. 

“And the Choice Summer Artist is…drumroll please,” Mark Wahlberg dramatically paused as he ripped open the envelope, “Ladies and gentlemen, give it up for ANA MORA!!!!” 

Ana smiled brightly as her name was announced and the camera was shoved in her face. The guys, Lynn, and Dani stood with her to applaud her. She hugged Chris and Justin, and stopped in front of JC placing a small peck on his cheek. He narrowed his eyes at her, but she only returned a sweet smile. 

“Ana also receives Choice R&B Track for ‘Case of the Ex,’” Mark announced as two surfboards were handed over to Ana. 

“Thank you so much! Oh, this is great! Ok, so, I have a bone to pick with someone. I was just saying that Choice Hottie was fixed. Come on, who didn’t know those two were going to win? Exactly. No, I’m kidding! I love those two, and congratulations. I get to go home and eat a pint of ice cream and not feel guilty after this. Thank you!” Ana joked as the crowd laughed. 

“No, seriously, thank you for everyone who voted. I’m so glad that you guys loved the song, the album, and the tour. I enjoyed seeing you guys these past couple of months. Thank you to the promoters, without you no one would hear our music. And, thank you to my sister for helping me get dressed today because I hate dealing with my curls. And thank you to Nsync for letting me tag along as your date! I have one thing to say about them: Eat your hearts out America!” Ana giggled and waved before following Mark offstage with her two surfboards. 

“What was that, Ana?” JC hissed once she occupied her seat once more after doing the Press Room. 

“What was what, JC?” Ana sweetly replied. 

“You know exactly what I am talking about. Why do you have to feed them what they want?” JC whispered. 

“I thought I was looking out for my friend since his ex-girlfriend is exactly two rows behind him with a new boytoy on her arm. Excuse me for caring,” Ana snapped before turning her head to talk to Chris who was tapping her shoulder. 

JC’s eyes widen and he discreetly turned his head around. And there, in all her red-haired and green-eyed glory, sat Bobbie next to whom he recognized as Cyclops from the X-men movie. Releasing a huge sigh, JC turned back to the stage and looked down to where Ana’s manicured hand rested on her crossed legs. Briefly closing his eyes, he reached out and took her hand into his. Ana’s head snapped down to where their hands joined before lifting her eyes in question to meet his. 

“Thank you,” JC replied before leaning to kiss her temple. Ana simply smiled and gently squeezed his hand.

End Notes:
Feedback! Feedback!
Chapter 6: One Wild Night by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK!

“Are you serious?!?!” Ana exclaimed as she leaned forward on the couch in Joey’s Orlando living room along with the guys, Dani, and Kelly (Joey’s girlfriend). 

“Of course I’m serious. I wouldn’t joke about something like that,” Lance replied as he sipped his beer and relaxed against the couch behind him. He was seated on the floor in front of the couch that Chris, Dani, and Joey occupied. 

“You really want to go skydiving? Like, right now?” Ana asked once more as she looked around to see if anyone else was as excited as her. Everyone seemed to be looking at each other nervously. 

“Right now is cool. There’s this place on the other side of town. We have the rest of the day free,” Lance shrugged nonchalantly and smirked. He knew that he had Ana sold on the idea. 

“Man, I’m so in. This could be my final teenage stunt! Let’s go!” Ana jumped from the couch and ran towards the front door to retrieve her sneakers. Running back into the living room, she realized that no one else had made a move to get up. 

“Oh come one, guys! Let’s go! It’ll be so much fun,” Ana pleaded as she secured her sneaker and stood up straightening out her jeans and tank top. Lance stood and grabbed his shoes as well. Ana stood with her hands of her hips, waiting for anyone else to get up. Finally, Chris and Joey sighed and announced they’d do it. Unfortunately, Dani and Kelly were totally against joining them. 

“I’ll go with you fools, but I’m not jumping,” Justin announced from his place on the 2-seater. 

“Oh come on, J! You know you want to do this,” Ana tugged on Justin’s arm, but he remained firmly seated. 

“No, thank you, Tiger, you can go jump out of a plane all by yourself. I like the ground; it’s treated me well these past 19 years,” Justin stubbornly shook his head and crossed his arm. Ana sighed and turned to JC who sat on the floor. 

“Jace, are you coming?” Ana sweetly asked as she approached him. Squatting in front of him, she pouted and batted her eyelashes at him. 

“I don’t think so. I’m with J on this one. You can go jump out of a plane all by yourself,” JC replied and returned a small smile. 

“Come on! This can be your first adventure at 25!” Ana exclaimed trying her best to sell him the idea. 

“I’ve been 25 for about 10 days now, so give me a few more months to enjoy it before I go sign any death wishes. Deal?” JC smirked before petting Ana’s head. Ana grumbled something about old farts and stalked out the house, leaving everyone chuckling. 

#### 

Pulling up to the skydiving field on the other side of Orlando, the group spilled out of two cars. Ana and Lance were at the forefront of the group; excitedly leading them into the office. 

Somehow, Ana had managed to convince JC to jump. The group was impressed; when JC’s mind was set, there was not changing it. Filling out the required paperwork and sitting through the crash course, they were led to an outside warehouse to pick their jumpsuit and parachute. 

“Are you ok?” Ana quietly asked as she stepped into her jumpsuit alongside JC. He’d been deathly silent ever since they’d stepped into the training course. 

“I can’t believe I let you convince me to do this. My mom is going to kill me – if I survive, of course. I’ve lost my damn mind,” JC muttered the last sentiment to himself. Ana choked back a chuckle before placing a hand on his shoulder. 

“JC, you’re going to be fine. We all are. You’ve gotta live a little. In our career, we don’t get these moments often. Just relax, and enjoy it,” Ana spoke softly to him when he turned his gaze to meet hers. Nodding, he swallowed hard and finished zipping up his jumpsuit. 

Finally, after allowing Chris to act out his dramatic farewells, the group of 5 – Chris, Joey, Lance, Ana, and JC – set out to hop onto the plane with their instructors. They’d opted to do tandem skydiving, which would have them attached to the front of their instructors. This sold the idea to JC, who feared he’d be clueless with steering a parachute on his own. 

“You are crazy,” JC gritted as he watched Ana bounce in her seat as the plane ascended to their jumping altitude. 

“Oh, JC, this is what life’s all about. Enjoying these moments right here. Can you imagine the freedom that’s going to rush through our bodies when we’re free-falling? I bet this will be like nothing we’ve ever felt before, not even onstage,” Ana rambled as she tightly grabbed his hands and smiled brightly at him. Somehow her smile was able to calm his nerves, and the excitement began to build up. 

“You’re right. We can do this. Oh man, we can do this!” JC nodded his head and agreed matching Ana’s smile. Ana smiled and the electricity of their excitement seem to fill the plane. Soon all ten passengers were riled up and ready to take that leap of faith. Ana opted to go first followed by JC, Joey, Chris, and Lance would round out the jumps. As Ana and her instructor set themselves up by the opened door, the guys cheered her on. She turned back and caught JC’s gaze. 

“Good luck! I love you guys!” Ana exclaimed before winking and pushing out the plane. Her shriek and laughter was carried in waves back into the plane as the guys watch her quickly become a small dot in a vast existence. One after the other, each guy took the leap of faith. Looking around, they could see each other floating down to the open field. Hoots and hollers echoed their feelings of freedom, invincibility, and happiness. 

#### 

“So, what do you want to do?” Ana asked as she dropped onto the couch and drew her legs up to her chest. 

“I’m not picky. We can do whatever, so long as I get some food first,” he replied as he shrugged his coat off. They’d just walked into his brand new Winter Park, Florida home. 

“How long have you had this house?” Ana asked looking around the scarcely decorated house. She sat on a set of leather couches that looked frighteningly out-of-place in the French chateau-style house. 

“I officially got it in June. This has only been like my 4th time staying here since I got it,” JC replied as he too took a seat on the couch next to her and looked around. 

“Come on, let me show you around,” JC said grabbing her hand and pulling her behind him. Ana obediently followed JC throughout the four bedrooms, three and a half bathrooms, kitchen, den, basement, and outside to the backyard. 

“You have a boat deck?” Ana asked running across his manicure lawn to the boat deck that extended into the lake. Taking a seat on the deck’s edge, she let her feet dangle; her toes barely grazed the water. 

“I just need a boat,” JC supplied as he joined her. They sat there in silence and watched the sun begin its daily descent. 

“It’s a beautiful house, JC,” Ana spoke quietly as a cool breeze picked off the lake and blew her curls wildly. 

“Thank you. I just need to decorate it. I was thinking of taking full advantage of these weeks home to go and look at furniture. You should come and help me out. You can give me a girl’s opinion,” JC nonchalantly offered. His face remained towards the lake. 

“I would love to. I loved decorating. If I could, I would buy houses just to decorate them,” Ana chuckled before turning to look at him. The sun’s evening glow danced across his face, giving his eyes a green tint. 

“You could, though,” JC smirked turning his eyes downward to look at her. 

“Yes, I could, but then I would be frivolous,” Ana retorted and lightly chuckled with him. She bumped her shoulder with his lightly, and they returned to their state of silence. They didn’t need to speak. They were perfectly content with each other’s presence. 

“So, Ana, tell me about yourself,” JC spoke up as the sun set low in the sky and his porch light flickered on. 

“What would you like to know?” Ana replied. 

“Is anything off limits?” JC asked. 

“Not unless you’re a reporter,” Ana glanced at him and smirked. 

“Alright, then, tell me everything and anything you want. Tell me who is Ana Mora.” 

“Well, my name is Ana Joelle Mora. I was born on October 15, 1980 in Atlanta, Georgia. I have 4 sisters, which you knew already. Emelda Cruz is the oldest, and she lives in Belmont, Massachusetts. She’s a doctor, a surgeon actually. And, she’s 27. You met Cecilia, and she lives in the San Diego area as an elementary school teacher. Katia Itzel and CeCe are twins, and she lives in Chicago as an architect. They’re both 23. Then, it’s Myra Roxana and she’s 22. She plays soccer on the US team, but she lives in Athens, GA. She went to University of Georgia, and she helps coach the team there during her off seasons. Then, of course, it’s me. Umm, what else? Well, I am Mexican-French-American. My father, Alejandro is, er, was born and raised in Guanajuato, Mexico. He immigrated to the United States in the 1970s with Elena to California before moving east and settling in Georgia. He met my mother at Graceland, don’t laugh,” Ana gasped and pushed JC’s shoulder when he snorted. 

“I can’t believe your parents met at Graceland! Justin’s gonna love that,” JC’s shoulders shook with laughter. Ana chuckled quietly, but remained stern-faced. 

“It’s not all that funny, you know. But, whatever, I’ll continue. They met, fell in love, had the twins, and then got married. My mom was from Auxerre, France, and she had just graduated from Harvard University. Her passion was music, so she was in Memphis when they met,” Ana smiled as she recounted the story of her life. 

“So, you get your passion for music from her?” JC questioned. The joy that danced across Ana’s face as she spoke of her family was enchanting. He couldn’t help but smile at her joy. 

“I guess. I mean, she lived, breathed, and loved it. But, music runs through my veins. My dad loved it just as much, but for him it was a hobby. He couldn’t sing to save his life, but he could play the heck out of a guitar. He taught me how to play, you know?” Ana pulled her legs up and crossed them underneath her. Moving to lean against one of the wooden poles on the deck, she leaned her head back and watched as JC mimicked her moves in front of her. 

“Why do you speak of them in past tense?” JC asked quietly despite already knowing the truth in his gut. 

“Well, I don’t remember my mother much because she left us when I was about four years old. She went back to France. From what the girls and dad told me, she couldn’t bear to be away from home anymore. So, she packed her things and she left. And daddy, well, he passed away about four years ago. He worked construction in Atlanta, and he was building Turner Field for the Olympics. Some scaffolding fell atop him from 3 stories up – crushed his lungs,” Ana’s voice crack towards the end. She looked up at JC with water-filled eyes and gave him a sad one-shoulder shrug before biting her lip to keep her tears at bay. 

JC took a deep breath before reaching over and pulling her to his side. He hugged her close, almost wanting to take away her pain. She was so strong, yet she was broken. His heart broke for her. All was quiet besides her occasional sniffle, and the wind pushing the lake water to the edge. 

“You want to know something?” Ana’s meek voice rang in the quiet night. 

“Sure,” JC simply replied. 

“Daddy took me to my first concert ever. Summer of 1995, London, England. I saw Bon Jovi play Wembley Stadium,” Ana chuckled as the memories of that summer day rushed through her mind.

“Really? Wow,” JC admired as she pulled away and wiped away her tears. 

“Yeah, I had just signed with the record company, and I’d gotten sent overseas to record with some producers. Elena had just graduated so she travelled with me as her graduation gift. But, she was starting med school and needed to return. Daddy met up with me in London, and we heard that Bon Jovi was playing. Somehow, daddy got us tickets, and we had a blast. Daddy loved them, and I fell in love with Jon that day. It was just amazing,” Ana chuckled and continued wiping stray tears away. 

“That’s great that you have such an amazing memory of your dad, though. You guys were able to share something together,” JC comforted her. He reached to wipe away some tears and tuck some unruly curls behind her ear. 

“That night, I realized that I really wanted to do this. I wanted to sing, to write, to play, and to dance for people. There was a moment in the concert when they play ‘Blaze of Glory,’ which is my anthem, and Jon put the mic out to the crowd. He stops singing completely, and the crowd sings back his song. I cannot begin to describe the chills I felt when that happened. I turned to daddy and I said ‘that’s gonna be me, daddy’. He looked at me, hugged me, and said ‘that is you, mi hijita. You can stop a hurricane in its path with your voice.’” Ana smiled despite the rush of emotions running through her. 

“And he wasn’t lying, was he?” JC lifted her chin with his index finger. Ana bit her lip and shook her head. 

“No, I played Wembley 3 years later, and I tried it. And JC, they did it. They sang my song back to me. And, I know daddy was watching,” Ana nodded her head with confidence and smile. JC smiled back at her and kissed her forehead before standing up. Looking down at her, he reached his hand to help her up. 

“And they will continue to sing them for you, Ana. You’re really something else. Come on, let’s get some food before I take you back to Lynn’s house,” JC offered as they began their walk back to his house. Ana was only in town for two more days, and she was staying at Lynn’s house. 

“Are you still feeling like a daredevil?” Ana stopped in the middle of his yard and asked quietly. JC froze in mid-step and turned around to look at her. Standing before him in a black tank, white jeans, and black flats, Ana had a determined look on her face. Yes, her eyes were red and slightly swollen from the crying, but her face was relaxed. She looked content. There was a hint of a smile on the edge of her pouty lips as she waited for his answer. 

“What?” 

“Are you feeling like a daredevil?”

“Ana, I just jumped from a plane. I think I’m all daredevil’ed out for a lifetime. Now, what are you getting at?” JC incredulously replied but with a cautious tone. 

“Well, I just wondered if you wanted to get on a plane with me to London tonight,” Ana stated as if it were the most common thing in the world to jump on an airplane to another continent. 

“Are you insane? What’s in London?” JC asked as he shook his head in disbelief. 

“Just answer my question. If you go, then you’ll know what’s in London. If you don’t, then we can forget about it. Either way it goes, I won’t hold it against you,” Ana remained determined. JC just looked at her and mentally kicked himself. How was it possible that this teenager could throw his entire world out of whack? 

“It’s not rocket science, Josh. It’s yes or no,” Ana stated as he watch JC’s indecision dance across his face. 

“I like that you call me Josh,” JC softly smiled. 

“Quit changing the topic. Yes or no,” Ana restated her question. JC took a deep breath before looking around his backyard and out into the lake. He’d really wanted to spend some time enjoying his house and decorating it. 

“We can go furniture shopping,” Ana smirked as she threw out that suggestion to him. He smirked lightly before shaking his head. 

“I don’t know how you do it, Ana, but you make me throw caution to the wind,” JC began, “come on, we have a flight to catch.” 

Ana squealed as she jumped into his arms and hugged his neck. She planted a loud kiss on his cheek before running inside the house. JC dialed the airlines and proceeded to book them two one-way flights to London in three hours. Ana handed him her credit card, and insisted that she pay for them herself. 

“You need to get to Lynn’s to pack,” JC stated once he hung up the call and turned to see Ana leaning against his kitchen counter casually munching on an apple. 

“If I do that, then they’ll never let us go,” Ana replied and continued to chew. She had a point. Lynn would ask every question under the sun, and Justin would be bound to want to join them. 

“So, what? You’ll buy some clothes there?” JC asked as he pondered their choices. 

“London is known for the fashion. Why not? I still have my overnight bag that I’d pack for Joey’s place in your car. We can do carry-on bags only,” Ana replied. 

“Do you realize that this is crazy?” JC asked he stepped closer to her and grabbed an apple from the fruit basket. 

“What is?” Ana replied watching JC take a bite of the apple. 

“Jumping on a flight in the middle of the night to another continent without telling anyone, and you not telling me what we’re going for,” JC was exasperated. 

“We’ll let the guys know once we’re on the plane. Personally, I think the craziest part of all this is that you agreed to go after only knowing me for like 3 months,” Ana said with a small smile. 

“You’re dangerous, Ana,” JC chuckled and wagged his finger at her before returning to his apple. Ana threw her head back and laughed loud and boisterously. JC watched her walk around his kitchen and fix them two sandwiches before they headed out to the airport. 

“Do you realize you’re in a round-about-way running away with a 19-year-old,” Ana teased as they checked in at the ticket counter and moved towards security. 

“Don’t remind me,” JC sighed and continued walking. Ana laughed before following his footsteps. 

#### 

August 19, 2000 – London, England 

“Are you ready?” JC asked as Ana stepped out of the bathroom. According to Ana, they needed to leave in fifteen minutes. 

“Yes, Mr. Impatient, I’m ready,” Ana teased as she secured her watch onto her wrist. She looked up and saw JC dressed in dark wash jeans and a light blue t-shirt with a white long-sleeve shirt underneath. His sleeves were rolled up to his elbows and his hair was perfectly gelled in place. His ever-present lion medallion sat neat atop his blue shirt. 

“Well, don’t you look nice,” Ana commented as he stood up from the couch and walked towards her. 

“Thank you. I’ll have to say that you look very posh yourself,” JC kidded in a fake English accent. Ana laughed and shook her head before heading out of the hotel room. Walking behind her, JC was able to check out her outfit without getting caught. She wore dark blue jeans, a white halter top with a dark gray vest over it, and a light gray scarf fashionably around her neck. She finished the look with the same pair of black flats from the night before. Making their way to the lobby, they caught a cab. 

“Wembley Stadium, please,” Ana instructed the cabdriver as they settled into the backseats. She saw JC’s head snap to look at her, and she held her hand up – willing him to keep his questions at bay. 

JC’s kept his eyes on the scenery as they drove closer and closer to the stadium. As they pulled up to the outside gates, he saw a large sign in bright lights. 

BON JOVI – THE CRUSH TOUR 

“Ana…,” he began before he realized that Ana stood at the Will Call ticket window. Slowly, he made his way towards her and stood beside her. She handed him his ticket and together they made their way through security and into the stadium.  

It was definitely a hot summer London evening. They knew it would be much hotter in a sea of people. So, they purchased some bottled water before heading to find their seats. 

“Front and center?” JC asked bewildered as they made their way down to the front of the restless crowd. Literally, they were in the dead center of the stage up against the barrier. 

“It’s the only true way to experience their concerts. Do you know their songs?” Ana asked. He was rendered speechless for a while when she turned to look at him. The joy and the excitement across her face was electrifying. Suddenly, he realized the significance of her bringing him here. 

“Thank you,” he stated just as the spotlights illuminated the stage. 

“For what?” she asked with a bright smile. 

“For bringing her and sharing this with me,” JC replied pushing a curl behind her ear. 

“Thank you for coming,” Ana softly replied before the crowds’ scream became too much. 

“All I want is someone to dance with…Give me a little bit of cha-cha.” Jon Bon Jovi’s voice rang over the speakers. 

They turned their attention to the stage as the guitar rifts and drum beats pulsed through the air. The crowd surge forward in anticipation and JC moved Ana’s smaller frame in front of him in an effort to protect her. He kept his hands on her hips and they began to rock to the beat. Ana turned her head slightly as it rested on his collarbone and they began to sing along with Jon Bon Jovi. 

It's a hot night, the natives are restless
We're sweating by the light of the moon
There's a voodoo mojo brewing at the go-go
That could knock a witch off her broom

End Notes:

FEEDBACK! FEEDBACK!

Chapter 7: Lay Your Hands on Me by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
Clock says 4am. Mind says, u've got an 8am. Feedback please

“This has got to be the best concert I’ve been to in years!” JC yelled into Ana’s year as the crowd cheers roared into the night London air. Ana turned around, smiled, and nodded her head. 

“Good,” came her simple reply. 

The stage lights had gone down and yet the crowd begged for more. They were about halfway through the concert, and for JC, it was going by too quickly. He knew their chances of being recognized were slim and so all his inhibitions had vanished. He’d allowed himself to step back into the shoes of fan and thoroughly enjoy himself. Clapping, jumping, singing, laughing, and begging for more from the four Jersey boys alongside Ana had become liberating. He looked down as Ana threaded her scarf through her jean belt loops and fanned herself. 

“It’s so hot,” Ana said as she turned around to face JC. The crowd had pushed and shoved from the beginning; personal space vanishing into thin air. Ana’s back was up against the security barriers and her front pressed up against JC’s front. 

“It’s incredibly hot. But, it’s just because of the lights. The wind itself is cool,” JC replied before wiping some sweat from his brow. Their water bottles had long been consumed and discarded. 

“We should do this more often,” JC said as he looked around at everyone’s face. The excitement, the joy, and the passion that radiated on everyone’s faces was addicting and contagious. 

“What? Skip continents to see rock bands play?” Ana smirked as she watched him. She was incredibly happy that he’d agreed to come with her. She’d purchased those tickets months ago when they first went on sale, but she hadn’t planned on bringing anyone with her. JC, however, needed to get away from his life. He needed to learn to bend the rules, to not listen to the rules. Plus, she wanted to spend time with him. 

“Tempting, but no, I meant, we should take a step back from our jobs and rediscover music, rediscover our passion,” JC spoke before turning his eyes to Ana. The sincerity and the impact of his words left Ana speechless. 

“Whenever you want to disappear and come rediscover music, I’m onboard for adventure,” Ana smirked her reply. 

“For 19, you’re pretty damn smart, little lady,” JC kidded and playfully flicked her nose. Ana scrunched it up in reply and turned her head away. 

“For 19, I’m full of surprises, Mr. Chasez. You should take a chance,” Ana was ballsy. She refused to hide her attraction for JC, and she made sure that he well aware of it. She felt his attraction for her as well, but he was cautious. And dammit, her age was not going to keep her away from him. 

“Ana…,” JC began with a sigh before the beating of the drums cut him off. Recognizing the all-too-familiar bass line, the crowd went crazing as Jon Bon Jovi rejoined the band on center stage. Turning her head to see the stage, Ana’s smile grew widely. Turning back to JC, she wrapped an arm around his waist before beginning to belt the lyrics in duet with Jon. 

If you're ready, I'm willing and able
Help me lay my cards out on the table
You're mine and I'm yours for the taking
Right now the rules we made are meant for breaking

JC maintained eye contact with Ana as she smiled and essentially serenaded him in a crowd of about 70,000 people. She was really laying her heart on the line for him to take, and he’d never experienced something like that with a girl. Usually, it all began with meaningless dating to see if a connection existed. With Ana, however, he knew the connection existed.

What you get ain't always what you see
But satisfaction's guaranteed
They say what you give is always what you need
So if you want me to lay my hands on you

Five years was a huge difference when she was still a teenager. She doesn’t act like a teenager, he thought as he watched her raise both arms high in the air, close her eyes, throw her head back, and belt out the almost church-revival-like chorus


Lay your hands on me, lay your hands on me, lay your hands on me,
Lay your hands on me, lay your hands on me, lay your hands on me,
Lay your hands on me

Watching her in this element, JC understood her passion, her intensity, and her heart. Watching her listen to her favorite musicians in a place that held such sentimental value, he learned of her greatness as a human being. She was all-giving. She was either all in or she was out. She played no games. And, that, he respected and admired. Because he, himself, was no half-ass. 

Ana felt JC’s hands cup her face, and her eyes snapped open. Golden eyes met blue-grey eyes. Opening her mouth to question him, he began to sing the next verse to her.


I'm a fighter, I'm a poet, I'm a preacher
I've been to school and baby, I've been the teacher
If you show me how to get up off the ground
I can show you how to fly and never ever come back down
 

Thinking it not possible, Ana’s smile grew wider. Grabbing a hold of his wrists, she joined his singing.

Everything you want is what I need
Satisfaction's guaranteed
But the ride don't never ever come for free
If you want me to lay my hands on you
 

Turning around his arms, Ana lifted her arms in the air and joined the crowd’s wave. But, in that moment, in the middle of a rock concert with 70,000 attendants, time stopped. JC’s arm curved its way around her midsection as the other lifted high to join hers. Linking their hands, JC led their hands from side to side singing atop their lungs with the rest of the crowd. Smiling to herself, Ana dropped a hand to rest it atop his on her stomach.

Lay your hands on me, lay your hands on me, lay your hands on me,
Lay your hands on me, lay your hands on me, lay your hands on me,
Lay your hands on me


#### 

“Wait, they’re where?!?!” Justin exclaimed as he settled into the couches of his mom’s house. 

“Ana called and left a message saying they’d landed at Heathrow,” Lynn replied nonchalantly. 

“I can’t believe them. First, they skydive, and now they jet out of the country,” Justin mumbled incredulously. 

“They skydived? When was this?” Lynn perked up. 

“Lance had this bright idea yesterday to go skydiving. We all went across town, and at first, it was just going to be Lance, Ana, Chris, and Joey. But, somehow, Ana convinced JC to jump. I swear that boy would get a tattoo if she told him to,” Justin chuckled as he flipped on the television set. 

“Well, baby, don’t you think this is good for JC? I mean, he’s never really let loose. Not that I encourage reckless behavior, but we’ve all gotta let loose somehow,” Lynn replied. 

“Oh, I agree completely. I think Ana is great for JC. Hell, I think JC is great for Ana. I trust Ana to know this and be all for it. It’s JC that worries me,” Justin sighed a bit. 

“Why is that?” Lynn questioned. 

“Mama, JC gets scared easily. He likes to do things accordingly and he likes to have plans. He’s a perfectionist, and he’s dedicated. Music comes before all things in his life. I’m afraid he won’t realize what he could have with Ana. If you were to see them together, you’d be freaked out. They’re like one and the same,” Justin chuckled at the thought. It was true. Their personalities meshed perfectly. JC was cautious, and Ana was adventurous. They were both fearless. They were both ridiculously talented – they could sing the pants off anyone. JC was reserved and observative; Ana was outspoken and intuitive. Both were intellectuals, and music junkies. 

“I’ve seen them occasionally, and if I didn’t know any better, I would’ve thought they were already together,” Lynn summed up as she settled back onto the couches. 

“Me too, mama. Ana is fearless. She doesn’t hide her attraction. All I hope is that JC opens up his eyes,” Justin commented as the conversation ended. 

“I can’t believe they went to London. What the heck is in London?” Justin chuckled and pondered after a moment of silence. Looking at his mom, all he received was a shrug in response. Shaking his head, he shrugged himself and focused his attention on the television. 

#### 

“I'm a cowgirl, on a steel horse I ride. I'm wanted dead or alive!” Ana sang atop her lungs as the pair walked out the arena with the rush of the crowd. 

“Yes, you, my dear, are a cowgirl indeed,” JC chuckled as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders and kept her close to him. He wasn’t used to walking freely in large crowds, and so his protective instincts were on high alert. 

“You’re such a hater!” Ana chuckled before grasping his hand that dangled on her shoulder and wrapping her other arm around his slender waist. 

“Yes, I’m overcome with blinding jealousy. I’ve dreamt of being a cowgirl my entire life,” JC’s sarcastic reply earned himself a hip bump as he flagged down a cab. Finally, stepping inside the cab, the enthusiastic couple zoomed towards the city. 

“I’m starving,” Ana announced as they neared their hotel. 

“Stop the cab. We’ll go from here,” JC announced as they pulled up in front of Hyde Park. The cabdriver pulled off to the side, bid them goodnight and drove off. 

“JC, what are we going to find in a park to feed me?” Ana whined as JC pulled her down a path into the depths of the park. The night was crisp and cool, and peaceful. 

“Oh quit whining, we’re just crossing the park. We’re in England, my dear. What must we get while in England?” JC questioned tugging her shoulder a bit. 

“Fish and chips?” Ana asked with a sparkle in her eye after contemplating the question. 

“Of course, and Newcastle Brown Ale,” JC added with a smile as Ana squealed. “We’ll take it back to the hotel and just pig out, cool?” 

“That’s beyond cool with me,” Ana replied as they walked off the path and onto the main road. JC pulled her into the first “fish restaurant” and placed their order before pulling her down the block to a small liquor store. Purchasing some Newcastle Brown Ale, they headed back to the restaurant to pick up their order. Making their way down the couple block to their hotel, the pair walked arm in arm. 

“Did you enjoy yourself?” JC asked as they sat on the floor of their hotel suite with some movie playing on television. 

“Absolutely. This was my 7th Bon Jovi concert, and each one has been uh-mazing!” Ana exaggerated as she drank her beer. JC laughed at her excitement. 

“Well good, because I had a blast. I still can’t believe just yesterday I skydived before running away with you,” JC chuckled as he settled against the couch behind him. 

“Gosh, you make it sound like we ran away, got hitched, and got knocked up. So, we left like bandits in the middle of the night and vanished from the country. So what?” Ana shrugged her reply. JC raised an eyebrow at her. 

“You sure do have a wild imagination,” JC commented before chuckling as Ana stuck out her tongue at him. 

“Someone’s got to keep you on your toes,” she smirked. 

“Ana, why’d you bring me here?” he asked after a moment of silence. 

“Because you needed to get away,” Ana’s automatic reply was quickly delivered. 

“Is that it?” JC asked before turning his gaze from the television to look at Ana. 

“No,” came her reply. 

“Then why?” 

“Because I wanted you here.” 

“Why?” 

“Because I enjoy your company. Every concert they’ve had here, I’ve come to see. But, I’ve come alone. But, I wanted you here to share this with me. Tomorrow night is their last concert here before Wembley closes,” Ana shared as her voice broke towards the end. She lowered her head down to avoid shedding any tears. Reaching out to grasp her chin, JC raised her face to meet his. 

“Is that it?” he softly asked. 

“No.” 

“Why else did you bring me here?”

“Because I like you. I wanted to show you that I’m not some silly little girl. I know I’m young, JC, but I’m not a child. I left home when I was 14; I had to grow up fast,” Ana felt the need to defend herself. 

“I don’t think you’re a child, Ana. If anything, I think you’re way more mature than I am. But, that doesn’t take away from our ages,” JC tried to rationalize. 

“JC, don’t give me that bull. You know age is nothing but a damn number. Look, I know that you just got out of a very long relationship, so I’m not pushing you to anything. But, can you honestly tell me that because you’re 25 and I’m almost 20, you’re willing to not even give whatever this could be a shot?” 

“Ana, my relationship with Bobbie died a long time ago. I just couldn’t let go. I was afraid to let go. She’d been there beside me for so long that I didn’t know how to let go. And, I thank you for helping me see some of the joy of life again. But, I can’t do this to you,” JC held onto her chin to keep her face-to-face. 

“You can’t do what, JC?” 

“I can’t hurt you the way I hurt her,” he softly replied. 

“Oh JC, can’t you see? You didn’t hurt her. She hurt you. She used you. For selfish reasons, she couldn’t understand your passion for your career.” It was Ana’s turn to grab his face and attempt to make him realize. 

“I would never, ever, ask you to give this up for me. Why? Because I would not expect you to ask me to give this up. Yes, we’re five years apart. So what? I’m not telling you ‘let’s go get married’ or ‘let’s have kids’. I’m telling you ‘let’s try this out’. We’re friends. And, if this doesn’t go anywhere, then we’ll still be friends. You of all people should know how hard it is to trust people. But, I trust you. And I want to think that you trust me too,” Ana explained. JC sat their silent as he listened to her rationalization.

He hated to hear the truth. Five years. At least it wasn’t ten. Or fifteen. Or hell, twenty. She was beautiful, and she incredibly funny. Smart as hell. Talent-wise, she was indescribable. She just needed to find her niche before she could blow the world away. Right now, she was playing the mainstream field and she was going with the flow. But, he knew that when she broke from the mold and made things her won, she would be taking over the entertainment world. 

Ana sat in silence as she waited for JC to say something. Nerves. She’d always hated to feel nervous, especially offstage. Drawing her bottom lip between her teeth, Ana ran her thumbs over JC’s knuckles as she held onto his hands. 

“Don’t make me break out movie quotes,” Ana attempted to kid. JC raised a questioning eyebrow as to what she meant. 

“’After all, I’m just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her,’” Ana sorrowfully delivered the Julia Roberts quote from Notting Hill. Nothing could keep JC from laughing loudly. 

“It is fitting being in London, and all. But, I must say, you’re just a girl sitting in front of a boy,” JC smirked after regaining his composure. 

“Pssh, technicality,” Ana kidded with a wink. 

“And the media?” JC asked. 

“What about them?” she asked. 

“They already think we’re dating,” JC replied. 

“Let them think whatever they want to. Here’s the thing, the media tends to think that they control us. But, what many of us fail to see is that we actually hold the power to control the media. They’ll believe whatever bull we feed them so long as they don’t have evidence that states otherwise. We’ll keep this on the low. No one has to know. Let’s see how it works out before we go all Justin/Britney scandalous about it,” Ana suggested as she leaned back against the couch and hugged her knees to her chest. 

“You think we can do that?” JC asked. He seriously wanted to laugh. He’d never have to basically execute a dating plan. It really was comical. 

“I think so. We can make it work. I’m sure events will overlap. I’ll be recording and filming a new movie soon. You guys are recording and touring. My schedule will probably be more flexible, but we can make it work. And like I said, we’re friends first and foremost,” Ana replied. 

“So, we sneak around?” JC asked as he contemplated the issue a bit further. 

“Justin and Britney can have all the attention, bless their hearts,” Ana sympathized. 

“You are a cowgirl!” JC laughed at her southern expression. Ana blushed and threw a couch pillow at him. He fell backwards laughing and holding his stomach. Ana mockingly glared at him before chugging the last of her beer.

End Notes:
FEEDBACK! FEEDBACK!
Chapter 8: Bye Bye for Now by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
Hey guys...thank you for your reviews. Keep them coming! Please!

Los Angeles, CA – September 5, 2000 

“Hello, this is Ana speaking,” came the distracted reply as the speakerphone button was pushed. 

“Good morning, Ana. This is Traci over at MTV studios. How are you this morning?” the overly cheerful voice filled the office space. Cocking an eyebrow at Johnny, who sat across from her at the conference table, Ana tore her eyes away from her foundation paperwork. 

“I’m doing well, thank you for asking. How may I help you Traci?” Ana replied before cutting to the chase. 

“Straight forward, I see. Well, originally we had asked if you could perform at this weekend’s show, and I understand that there were schedule conflicts. Now, one of our scheduled performers has dropped from the line-up, and we wondered if you would be willing to step up and fill in the spot last minute,” Traci’s cheerfulness was quickly replaced with nervousness. 

“Traci, this Johnny Wright, Ana’s manager. Do you realize the awards show is in 2 days? How is it possible for anyone to put together a performance in 2 days?” Johnny spoke up shaking his head. 

“Hello Johnny, and yes, we realize it is very short notice, but we also could not think of anyone else that we trusted enough to commit and deliver,” Traci replied. 

“I’m sorry to disappoint you, Traci, but…” Johnny began to explain before Ana raised her hand to stop him. 

“Traci, don’t you guys worry. I will do it. Leave your information with Lacy, my assistant, and I’ll there by tomorrow evening to rehearse,” Ana spoke up. 

“Ana, you do not realize how appreciative we are for this. I’ll leave information for you and we will see you tomorrow evening,” Traci breathed a sigh of relief before ending the call. 

“Ana, are you insane? You’re supposed to fly out to Mexico tonight,” Johnny argued once the speaker had been turned off. 

“Johnny, I’m not needed in Mexico until the 8th. I can fly out following the awards,” Ana explained returning her attention to the paperwork. She was opening her first all-girl’s academy in Mexico this weekend with her foundation, En Mis Brazos (In My Arms). 

“And how do you plan on putting together a performance when Rick is in Spain?” Johnny questioned about her choreographer, Rick. 

“Johnny, I’m a dancer myself. Lacy!” Ana called out the office door. Lacy came strolling into the office about a minute later. 

“Call the dancers up, all 12, and have them down at the studio this afternoon. Then, call up Lauren and tell her that the costumes for Latin Grammys will be for VMAs this weekend, so she needs to get her butt to New York asap. Also, call back Traci at MTV and ask her to fill you in on stage design that the last performer had going on. Then, come tell me about it. Reschedule the flights from LA to Mexico. Then, schedule tickets for us for tomorrow and find something to wear for you, maybe Elena, and I,” Ana rattled instructions before finalizing the paperwork, signing it, and handing it off to Johnny. 

“Consider it done,” Lacy replied before jetting off to get to work. Ana gathered her stuff and hung her bag off her shoulder. 

“Are we done here?” she asked Johnny as she stepped to the door. 

“Yes. I hope you know what you’re doing, Ana,” Johnny cautioned her. 

“Johnny, trust me. This may just be the thing I need to do to show the suits what I could do all along. I can already see it,” Ana smiled,

“I’ll be down at the studio if you need me.” And with that, Ana turned out the door and headed to the elevators. Smiling to herself, she grew excited as her mind quickly rushed through performance ideas. 

####

Radio Music Hall, New York City – September 6, 2000 

“What are we waiting on? I thought the show was one performer short,” Chris whined as he slouched down in his audience seat. The guys were waiting for their turn to rehearse. So far, everyone had gone through rehearsals except for them. 

“They filled the spot, you dufus. You really don’t listen, do you?” Lance snorted before elbowing Chris. 

“What? Who did they get?” Justin questioned as he walked up to the seated duo. 

“I’m not sure. I know they just signed on yesterday and they’re coming here straight from LaGuardia to rehearse,” Lance replied with a shrug. 

“Damn Scoop, is there anything you don’t know?” Justin chuckled before turning to the doors, which had just burst open. 

“Ana! You made it! Great!” a stage manager exclaimed before rushing to the doors. 

“Ana?!?! I thought she was in Mexico,” Chris turned back wide-eyed and questioned the guys, specifically JC. He received shrugs from them all before turning back Ana as she walked up the side stairs and onto the stage. 

“Did you guys get the music?” Ana questioned the stage manager as she shrugged off her beige belted jacket, leaving her standing in faded blue jeans, a white tank with grey stripes, and white and silver Air Force sneakers. The guys watched as she was quickly fitted for a headset and a microphone pack, which she wrapped around her bicep. 

“Hey guys, sorry for making y’all wait,” her voice vibrated off the music hall walls as she stood center stage in front of the guys. Here she was doing MTV a favor and she was apologizing for making them wait – unbelievable. MTV should be kissing her feet right about now. 

“You’re the replacement?” JC asked after they all greeted her. 

“No, I’m the main show baby,” Ana kidded and stopped short. She hoped the guys hadn't caught the term of endearment. She chuckled along with the guys when they seem to ignore the 'baby'. Her 12 dancers were stretching in the background and going over some choreography in slow counts. As the house techs worked on the lights and sounds for her performance, Ana walked around correcting some moves. She wouldn’t be going through the entire performance until tomorrow morning, but they wanted her to at least come in and work out lights and sound. 

After about an hour, Ana walked off stage and bid her dancers a goodnight. 

“Stage is all yours, guys,” Ana said as she walked a row behind the guys and kissed each of them on the forehead. 

“What happened to Mexico?” Justin asked turning around in his seat to look down the row to where Ana had just jumped over a seat. 

“After the show, I fly out. MTV called and I couldn’t leave them out in the cold,” Ana replied as she drank from her bottle of water. 

“Is it the same as the tour?” JC asked as he placed a hand on her knee. Ana quickly smiled at him from behind the bottle before answering. 

“I’ve never performed this song, but it’s on the album. Jive didn’t like it for the tour. I love it, and Jive can’t say no, since they don’t know,” Ana grinned and shrugged as the guys chuckled. 

“Uptempo?” Chris asked as he motioned to the stage. All the guys had a look of worry on their face as they thought of her performing a never-before-performed song. 

“Yeah, I came up with it yesterday. Stop worrying guys. You guys sound like Johnny. It’ll be dope, I promise,” Ana smiled confidently before standing and gathering her red leather purse. 

“Fine, we’ll stop worrying. You want to join us for dinner tonight?” Justin asked as the guys stood to head to the stage. 

“Sure, just call me up. I’ll meet ya’ll wherever. Now, I have fittings so catch y’all later,” Ana replied before hugging each guy goodbye. Her embrace with JC lasted a bit longer than the rest. 

“Talk to you later?” she questioned as she pulled away. 

“Yeah, I’ll call you when we get done here. Take care,” JC said squeezing her elbow affectionately and joining the guys onstage. 

#### 

Later that evening “Hey Ana, it’s nice to meet you,” Britney smiled and hugged Ana as Justin introduced them  at the group dinner at Benihana’s on 56th street. 

“Same here, you look so pretty,” Ana complimented. Britney wore some tattered jeans, a black cropped top that exposed all her stomach, and black boots. 

“Thank you,” Britney replied before gesturing for Ana to sit next to her. Ana smiled and took the seat, sandwiching herself between Britney and JC. 

“You look very pretty, yourself,” JC leaned over and softly said. Ana turned smiling and returned the compliment. She wore a knee length grey jean skirt, black knee-high boots, a plain white tank, and a red scarf around her neck. He wore dark wash jeans, crimson polo shirt, and a khaki jacket over it. 

“How’d rehearsal go?” Ana asked as their food was individually served. 

“It went good. We’ll run through it once more tomorrow morning, but we’re good,” JC replied after swallowing his food.

“How do you feel about yours?” 

“I’m a bit nervous, but its an excited nervous. We only get to run through it maybe twice tomorrow morning, but we looked good in LA. So, pray for me,” Ana chuckled as she lifted her hands in prayer. 

“You’ll do great. Who are you going with tomorrow?” JC asked. He knew that they had decided to keep themselves quiet for a while. Even the guys had no idea that they were dating. 

“Elena might be coming up, but she didn’t know if she would be able to get away from the hospital on such short notice. But, Lacy is also coming,” Ana replied before her name was called from down the table. Chris was telling everyone about how Ana had helped him prank Johnny back in June. Ana discreetly bumped her knee against JC’s and he bumped back in reply. A smile graced her lips, and it grew in size when she realized that it was her very own secret. 

#### 

“Here we are with Ms. Ana Mora, looking incredible might I add,” John Norris smiled and introduced Ana as she walked to him on the red carpet. 

“Well, thank you, you’re looking very sharp yourself,” Ana chuckled and fixed his tie slightly before smiling at the camera. 

“Don’t make me blush. Now, tell us about your outfit and your performance tonight,” John tried to smoothly deviate the attention from his blush. Ana chuckled before deciding to not push the embarrassment. 

“Well, I am wearing this lovely dress by Dolce & Gabana, Jimmy Choo shoes, and Lorraine Schwartz jewels,” Ana described before doing a small turn to showcase her wine-colored, high-neck chiffon mini-dress, gold stilettos, and gold jewelry. 

“Now, you weren’t originally on the bill for tonight’s show. How did you come onboard?” John asked. 

“Well, originally, I was asked to perform but I couldn’t because of schedule conflicts. But, I got the call 2 days ago that MTV had a cancellation. I agreed to fill the spot last minute, came up with a routine yesterday, rehearsed today, and I’ll perform it tonight. Hopefully, it won’t suck,” Ana chuckled as she explained. 

“I don’t think you’re capable of being anything but great. But, tell us about the performance. How do you pull something together in 2 days?”

“Well, it’s no easy task, let me just say that. I chose a song from the album that I love and I’ve never performed. I called up a favor, choreographed it, and put it on stage this morning. The performance itself is representative of my upbringing. I’m from Atlanta, and so tonight, I’m gonna show the Big Apple how we do it down south,” Ana sassed for the camera before wrapping up her interview and continue her way down the red carpet. Smiling and posing for an endless flashing of cameras, she longed to get inside and take a seat. 

#### 

“Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the incredibly sexy and talented, Ana Mora!” Jamie Foxx announced from stage left.

The house lights went down and a bass line boomed the music hall. Usually this song had a slow, but groove-like feel to it. But, Ana had called in a favor for the track to be mixed for a more ‘dance-able’ vibe. The end result, Ana felt, was better than the original. This mix was edgier, dirtier, and a lot sexier. And with Ana’s very street-like choreography, this performance was definitely going to rock the house. 

A rush of 13 dancers, all in a variety of hip-hop street clothes rushed to the forefront from the shadows. Lose sweat-like pants, tanks, hoodies, and caps outfitted the dancers. The stage lights shone brightly and showed a setting that looked like an alleyway in some industrial area. The lights caused a shadow on their faces – shielding their identities to onlookers. 

Au-to-matic

Doo doo doo doo doo (doo)

Doo doo doo doo doo (doo)

Doo doo doo doo doo 

A military-style dance break opened the performance. The moves – clean and sharp – made the dancers onstage hard-asses and set the mood for the performance.

I remember when I fell for you

It wasn't when I wanted to

But you were acting so into me

Au-to-matic

Think real good for Martha too

Just like every relationship

We gotta earn the trust too

And can't get it baby

I know many start to changed

We could never be the same

I could do it when you do it to me

Au-to-matic

I know if it came to be

We could get a chance to see

A side of each other

That we'd all hidden up

Slowly and smoothly, Ana shed her hoodie and cap as she danced in line with the dancers. Footwork was smooth and complex, but she kept up. She sang in a sultry, raspy, and almost hoarse-like voice that she definitely wasn’t known for. Looking out into the audience, Ana could see the crowd bopping their heads to the beat. 

What do you do to make me feel

So good for so long

Then take it back

And expect me to be alone

I can get cold

But if you're gonna do me wrong

I'll get you back

Baby that's just just automatic

I remember when I met

The man with all the confidence 

Moving the ensemble around the audience pits to the walkway closest to the main house audience, Ana sang the chorus. The edginess and the rawness of this performance was definitely going to get the suits talking, and the media for sure. 

Every day was promises to me

Au-to-matic

Then you step way out of line

Cheat on me too many times

I'm trynna put you down

All that comes around goes back around (yeah)

I know many start to changed

We could never be the same

I could do it when you do it to me

Au-to-matic

I know if it came to be

We could get a chance to see

A side of each other

That we'd all hidden up 

“You must not know her name! You must not know her name! It’s Ana time! It’s Atlanta time!” her dancers chanted as the music stopped. Before the song could slide into the next chorus, a mastermix of the song kicked in. The heavy hip-hop beats took over and the group jumped into a heavy dance break. In her white lose pants, white bustier, white leather cropped jacket, and black handkerchief wrapped around her throat, Ana popped, locked, grinded, and thrust along with her dancers. 

What do you do to make me feel

So good for so long

Then take it back

And expect me to be alone

I can get cold

But if you're gonna do me wrong

I'll get you back

Baby that's just just automatic

I remember when I met

The man with all the confidence

Standing at the front of the stage all lined up, the singing came to an end. All 13 stood with feet shoulder-width apart and hands on their hips.  

Baby that's just just automatic

Au-to-matic

Au-to-matic

Au-to-matic

Au-to-matic

Au-to-matic

Au-to-matic

With each repetition of ‘Automatic’ the group bent at their knees and leaned backwards. The strain on their stomach muscles showed as their abs clenched with each further backbend. As the last beat struck, the dancers bounced in their positions – leaned back like tables without the use of their hands. The audience jumped to their feet clapping and yelling in appreciation for a performance that had essentially brought the house down. Ana rose to a standing position, bowed, and smiled looking out into the audience. She spotted the boys of *NSYNC off to the side; they stood clapping, hooting and hollering.

#### 

“Last night brought out the stars in New York City. The MTV Video Music Awards were held at Radio Music Hall, and the event had more than plenty to offer. With performance that ranged from almost-nude-like costumes to rock star and pop star collaborations, the show had more than its fair amount of surprises.

Many will talk about Britney Spears’ performance of “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” before launching into her hit “Oops!...I Did It Again”. While it was more than entertaining, her showcase of fit abs and tight muscles in her skin-colored performance attire was the extent of her greatness. This morning, many will chalk it up to be controversial seeing as she’s only 18 years old.

Rival pop star Christina Aguilera delivered a very un-Britney-like performance. Aguilera performed a vocally-talented mix of her hits “Genie in a Bottle” and “Come On Over” before bringing bad-boy rocker, Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit onstage of a battle of the vocals. Unfortunately, the dancing spectacle that makes Britney’s performances does not apply to Aguilera.

Mega-star boyband *NSYNC began their reign of the night with a technologically-savvy performance. Appearing behind television screens, the boys performed “This I Promise You” and “Bye, Bye, Bye” before bringing the club scene to the front of the stage with a remix of “It’s Gonna Be Me.” They may be just another boyband in this industry, but they have the moves, talent, and charisma to be the best boyband. *NSYNC walked away with awards for Viewer’s Choice, Best Pop Video, and Best Choreography in a Video.

Coming in to rescue the day last minute, one would assume that Ana Mora’s performance would have been poorly staged and ill-fully planned. Yet, this promising diva proved everyone wrong. Many chalk this Mexican-French-American beauty to be a Britney-wannabe or a Christina-wannabe. I may be bias because I’ve seen her live concerts so many times, but homegirl has talent. Performing a unreleased song “Automatic,” Ana proved she belonged on that stage. With dance moves that should make Janet Jackson shake in her boots and vocals that rival those of no one else’s, Ana ruled the night. Nominated for one award, Ana walked away empty-handed but she should feel incredibly proud of her performance. If Britney and Christina are reading this, please be afraid. Be very afraid. Ana Mora just signed your pink slips. 

“Man, they ripped Britney and Christina, huh?” JC chuckled as he sat in Ana’s hotel room very early the next night. He was reading the morning newspaper and had come across a review of last night's show. The sun had yet to rise over the New York skyline. They’d only gotten in from the after parties about two hours ago. She was leaving in about an hour and he wanted to spend some time with her before she left. 

“I hate when they do that. I liked their performances,” Ana defended them as she took a bite of her apple. She was already packed and dressed for her flight to Mexico. 

“Yes, their performances were good. And they looked and sounded (well, you know what I meant) good too. And I’m not being bias, but you blew us all out the water,” JC complimented as he snuck a piece of French toast from her plate. 

“Oh whatever,” Ana replied leaning back in her seat. 

“Seriously, you’ve been holding out on us. The dance moves, whoo!” JC exclaimed before chuckling as Ana threw a cushion at him. 

“Oh hush, you only like the booty-shaking,” Ana retorted as she fixed her ponytail. JC nodded in agreement before silence took over the pair. 

“I’m thinking of leaving Jive,” Ana broke the silence. JC paused in mid-bite and looked at her with a questioning eyebrow. 

“Why is that?” he asked as he slowly continued to chew. 

“Because of things like this. Granted I appreciate the reviews of my performances, but I shouldn’t be shocking them each time because I actually have talent. My albums are good, but they’re not great. I don’t feel I have much creative freedom. I know they would’ve probably chew my head about last night, and I don’t care. Plus, I’m not Britney and Jive makes bank with her,” Ana shrugged her response. 

“Have you tried talking to them about the creativity?” JC questioned. He honestly didn’t know many details about Ana’s career. She didn’t walk around giving contract details like many artists he knew. 

“Yes, and every time I’m basically given an ultimatum. It’s their way or I get dropped. I make album sales, concerts sell out, magazines fly off shelves, merchandise runs out, yet I don’t get to decide what I get to sing. I’ve been with them for five years now. Britney’s been with them 3 years, and she’s their golden child. I’m not jealous of her success because I could care less about that. I care about the music. And this isn’t my music,” Ana continued pushing her French toast around her plate. 

“Because honestly, if you put us side-by-side, it’s hard to tell who is more successful. I cater to a different audience but we sell the same. We both bring in ridiculous revenue. So, why can’t I have choice?” Ana questioned him. Her eyes demonstrated a sadness that JC hadn’t thought she was capable of demonstrating. 

“I understand, trust me. This is the whole reason we came to Jive. We were given creative freedom that we hadn’t been given before. When are you up for renewing?” JC asked taking a sip of orange juice. 

“My five years were up last month. I fulfilled all stipulations, too. So, really, I’m free to walk if I want to,” Ana answered. She’d begun to chew on her bottom lip as a sign of nervousness. 

“Do you have other labels in mind?” JC questioned. 

“It’s not definite, but Columbia Records is looking like the one.”

“So, you’ve been thinking about this for a while, huh?” JC questioned. 

“Yeah, since I finished this last album. Jive knows this already, and they know I have a Spanish album ready to be released. I have to renew with Jive to release or I need to sign with Columbia to release.  My performance next week is the first single.”

“Well, if it helps, my only advice is to choose based on the music,” JC replied as he placed a comforting hand over her knee. 

“You’re right. Thank you,” Ana smiled in reply before picking up her phone, and sending Johnny a message. It simply read: 

We’re going with Columbia. Make it happen. 

“I guess that’s the end of our label mate days,” JC smirked as she sent the message. 

“Yes, now we won’t have to work too hard to keep us quiet,” Ana replied before leaning over and kissing his cheek. 

“I have yet to take you on a proper date,” JC commented as he kept her close to him, face-to-face. 

“I’m not all that needy,” she shrugged. 

“Ah yes, but you’re deserving. We’re both in LA next week, so we’ll figure something out then,” JC said as he ran a hand down the side of her face. 

“Alright, but just know that I don’t need a date to be with you,” Ana replied leaning slightly into his touch. 

“Yes, I know this. Now, come on, you need to get your stuff together to head out. And I need to head back to my room before Lance wakes up,” JC sighed as he stood and pulled her up. He helped her bring her luggage out to the hall before stepping back into her room to say his farewell. 

“Take care of yourself and know that I’m very proud of you. What you’re doing for those girls is amazing,” JC said as he hugged her close to him. He was leaned against the wall next to her door and she was leaned against him. 

“I know. Thank you. That means a lot to me,” Ana smiled up at him and wrapped her arms around his waist. 

“I’ll see you in about a week in LA. Let me know when you land,” he tucked a lose curl behind her ear before running his thumb over the shell of her ear. 

“I will. I’ll talk to you tonight as well,” Ana replied leaning up to wrap her arms around his neck and kissing his cheek. They had yet to share a first kiss, and that was alright with her. He hugged her tightly before pulling away and walking to the door. Smiling back at her, he stepped out into the hallway and up a couple of floors to his hotel room.

----

Song Credit:

"Automatic" -- TLC 

 

End Notes:
Review! Review! Review!
Chapter 9: Just one little... by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
THANK YOU FOR ALL THE REVIEWS!!! Keep them coming please!

September 13, 2000 – Los Angeles, CA 

“Ladies and gentlemen, nuestros amigos de *NSYNC!” Angel Lopez of Son by Four announced as the opening chords to “This I Promise You” played. 

Watching the guys walk out from right stage, Ana clapped from her seat in the audience. She’d been helping the guys with their pronunciation and she knew they were nervous about singing in Spanish. They’d had an issue with the rolling of the ‘r,’ but that was typical. Other than that, Ana had to admit that they all sounded pretty sexy singing in Spanish. 

Cuando sientas tristeza
Que no puedas calmar
Cuando haya un vacío
Que no puedas llenar
Te abrazaré
Te haré olvidar lo que te hizo sufrir
No vas a caer
Mientras que estes junto a mí...
 

Their various black and leather getups were fabulous on all the guys, but Ana couldn’t tear her eyes away from a certain blue-eyed crooner at the end of the row onstage. Before they’d left for the award show, he’d sent her a text telling her to be ready to leave early the next morning.

 

Si siente un frío tu corazón
Sere tu abrigo, tu ilusión
Hasta ya no respirar
Yo te voy a amar

Nervous thoughts of her date with JC the next day quickly fled her mind as his melodious voice filled her ears. Goosebumps covered her arms as she swayed to the beat. This was by far one of her favorite song on their album, and she loved that the guys were getting exposed to the Latino community. Keeping her gold eyes fixated on him, she quickly realized that his eyes kept flicking in her direction. A small, knowing smile found its way to her lips.

 

Yo siempre te he amado
Y amor, yo estar
Por siempre a tu lado
Nunca me alejaré
Prometo mi amor
Te juro ante Dios
Nunca te voy a faltar
Tu corazón
No volvera a llorar...

Si siente un frío tu corazón
Sere tu abrigo, tu ilusión
Hasta ya no respirar
Yo te voy a amar
 

As the crescendo in the music rose, the audience was brought to its feet. Swaying arms rocked from side to side. Standing up, Ana adjusted her dress before raising her arms to sway with the audience. The hook to the song was her favorite part; JC’s vocals were pristine and flawless. He had the ability to bring anyone to their knees with his voice. It amazed her. The raw emotion behind his voice made any listener believe this man was pleading for the love of his life. 

Sigo muriendo por ti
Yo te quiero aqui
Sin tu amor en mi vida, mi vida
No sé cómo podré y
o vivir...

As the members of Son by Four joined the quintet onstage for the closing chorus, Ana smiled proudly. The guys had felt a bit intimidated at first because they didn’t speak Spanish, but Ana had reminded them that music had no official language. And these guys had delivered. 

Si siente un frío tu corazón
Sere tu abrigo, tu ilusión
Hasta ya no respirar
Yo te voy a amar
 

"Bravo! Bravo!” Ana applauded and cheered as the music faded out. The entire Staples Center was on its feet cheering them on. Ana caught several of the guys’ eyes as she blew kisses at them and continued applauding. 

“Wow, they were great!” Lacy commented once Ana had resumed her seat. The next presenter was walking up to the podium now. 

“I know, that was incredible. I’m so happy for them,” Ana replied with a bright smile before turning her attention back to the stage. She made a mental note to hug the guys tightly later at an after party. 

####Afterparty #1

 Mira, mira, los muchachos mas guapos en el mundo!” the guys heard from behind them. Simultaneously, all five turned around to the source. Standing before them in black trousers, a coral backless halter top, and heels, Ana smiled brightly. 

“We have no clue what you just said, but it made me blush, so it must be good,” Joey retorted before pulling her into a hug. 

“I was just calling you five the most handsome in the world. Congratulations on the performance. Flawless,” Ana smiled and hugged each guy. Wiping her lip gloss from their cheek as she pulled away. 

“Oh please, can we talk about your performance? Where was the rest of your clothes young lady?” Chris mockingly glared at her as he places his hands on his hips. Lance nodded his head in agreement with Chris. 

“Unruly and ferocious panther attacked me backstage?” Ana innocently asked with a shrug. 

“Cute, Ana Banana! Too much skin,” Justin replied as he bumped her with his hip. 

“It was not that bad, Justy Wusty,” Ana argued as she too put her hands on her hips and glared at. 

“Anita, you had a sheet wrapped around you!” Justin argued. 

“You exaggerate too much,” she dismissed him with a wave of her hand. 

Ok, so Ana had to admit that it wasn't really exaggerating. It was a backless white dress with a neckline that wrapped around her neck and criss-crossed her chest before a single column of material went down to her bellybutton. The floor-length skirt had high slits, but the material was loose so the slits weren’t noticeable until her dancing caused it to move. She’d accessorized the dress with a brown belt made up chained brown leather circles and a brown leather arm band. The outfit itself was very Grecian-like, but it worked with the heavy tribal drums that her new single “Se Lo Que Vendra (The Other Side)” featured.  

“Oh, sure, but next time, you should warn a brother. Damn near gave us a heart attack. We feared you’d let something peak,” Joey playfully shook his head before throwing a wink her way. Ana threw her head back laughing before slapping his arm. 

“You pervert. I was perfectly and strategically taped in place, but I appreciate your concern, Joseph,” Ana retorted before turning to the other guys. “You guys were fabulous though. I don’t think anyone expected that from you guys.” 

“Dude, Carlos Santana was backstage when we walked off and he told us we were ‘fabulous.’ JC, here, nearly hit the floor,” Lance chuckled as he recalled JC’s earlier fanatic moment. 

“See, I’m not just saying this to y’all. The first Latin Grammys and you guys bring down the house. I’m so proud of y’all,” Ana gushed once more before taking a sip of her soda. They all continued to talk before they were joined by Gloria Estefan. Ana hadn’t ever met her, so it was her turn to turn into a fan. The guys were having a blast teasing her, but Ana could care less. She was being comforted by JC’s hand rubbing her back. Leaning slightly into his side, she let him know that she was thinking about him too. The thought that no one knew about them made her lips twitch, but she kept her smile at bay. 

#### 

I’m pulling up in about five minutes. Meet me outside. 

Ana read the text message before grabbing her purse and stepping out of her hotel room to catch an elevator down the fifteen floors to the lobby. Adjusting her shades, she walked out the front doors. Looking around the curved driveway, she spotted JC leaning against the passenger door of a silver Mercedes convertible. Smiling, she made her way to him. Thankful for her shades, she was able to freely check him out without feeling embarrassed. 

He looks too good. 

“We must be the khaki twins today,” his smooth voice jolted her out of her thoughts. Smirking, she looked at his dark khaki shorts, white button down shirt over a white muscle shirt, and his white sneakers. A pair of rectangular shades covered his eyes, so she that he too was probably checking her out. Well, at least, she hoped he was. Turning her gaze to her own brown khaki shorts, grey muscle tee, and gold lace-up sandals, she realized that she had dressed accordingly. 

“That seems to be the case. Great minds think alike. Are you ready to head out?” Ana replied as she stopped directly in front of him. It was still very early in the morning, so there was no one but the bellhops around. 

“I’m ready when you are,” he replied before opening the door for her to step in. Shutting the door, he rounded the car and climbed in himself. Driving to the end of the driveway, he looked at oncoming traffic before merging onto the main road. 

“Are you going to tell me where we are going at 7 in the morning?” Ana questioned as she realized they’d caught Interstate 5 heading south. 

“Be patient, oh young one,” JC smirked as he glanced at her. 

“Oh hush, I’m not that young,” Ana retorted before playfully smacking his thigh. She caught him looking at her from the corner of his eye and suddenly, she felt nervous. 

“You look very nice. Casual fits you well,” JC commented as his hand rested on the stick shift between the two seats. Ana turned to him and caught his smile resulting in a blush to cover her cheeks. 

“It’s a good drive away, so feel free to nap if you want. I know we got in really late from the party,” JC stated after a few minutes of mindless chatter and the occasional yawn from Ana. 

“That would be extremely rude of me, Josh,” Ana replied. “Plus, how are you so awake? I’ve heard you value your sleep a little bit too much.” 

“I'm shot on caffeine, that’s how I’m so awake. Usually, if I have a day off, I’m dead to the world. But, don’t worry about that. It won’t be rude if I’m offering you the opportunity to do it. Just lean back and rest. I promise I won’t drive to some deserted hilltop to abandon you,” JC joked and winked at her. Ana chuckled slightly before accepting his offer. 

“Well, I apologize in advance if I snore, drool, or thrash around in my sleep,” Ana joked. Getting as comfortable as possible, she slipped off her sandals and pulled her knees to her chest before allowing her head to rest atop her knees. Within minutes, JC could tell that her breathing had evened out and she was asleep. Smiling to himself, he turned on the radio and let soft music fill the car. 

#### 

“Do you mind if I put the top down?” JC asked as they continued cruising down the interstate. It was about an hour later, and Ana had woken from her nap. 

“No, not at all. Are you kidding me? I’ve been trying to figure out a way to ask you to put the top down since I woke up,” Ana laughed and covered her eyes with her shades once more. The warm breeze blew her hair around, but the sun felt beautiful on her skin. 

“Next time, just tell me,” JC replied once the top had settled down. 

“Are you gonna tell me where we’re going now?” Ana questioned. She’d seen several signs along the way and she was really curious. 

“No, you’ll know soon enough,” he replied with a smirk. 

“I just want to know if I need my passport wherever it is you’re taking me. Because if I do, then we’re screwed. I left it back at the hotel,” Ana shrugged. 

“Do you like animals?” JC ignored her comment and asked randomly. He’d gotten off at some exit already and Ana looked around for some sign as to where she was. 

“Uh…yes. I love animals, why?” Ana questioned with a raised eyebrow. 

“Well, it would’ve sucked if you hated animals,” JC smiled and pointed to a sign. Ana turned to read the sign and smile brightly. 

“You brought me to the San Diego Zoo! Ah! Yes! This is perfect!” Ana squealed and dancing happily in her seat. 

“Haha! What was that?” JC exclaimed as he watched her celebrate. 

“That was my stationary celebratory jig!” Ana stuck her tongue out at him and clapped to herself. She loved going to zoos. 

“Well, I must say that I pretty happy with myself right about now,” JC kidded as he parked the car and they got out to walk across the parking lot. 

“You should be. Ah, this is perfect. Thank you!” Ana exclaimed before wrapping her arms around his neck in a hug. Without thinking about it, she pecked his lips. It was as if her excitement had taken over her body. JC felt her body stiffen in his arms once she realized what she’d done. 

“Sorry about that,” Ana stuttered as she coughed nervously. She wouldn’t meet his eyes, and this caused JC to smile.

Taking her hand in his, he pulled her along to the ticket window. Once he’d purchased their tickets, he led them into Balboa Park by cutting through the Rose Garden. It was still early and he figured they should get some breakfast before heading inside. Settling into a small café on the edge of the park, they enjoyed some pastries and coffee. There was a small of hint of tension between them, and JC knew it was Ana’s slight embarrassment. 

“Hey, are you gonna relax or what?” JC asked as he tugged on her hand slightly to catch her attention. They were walking back across the park towards the zoo entrance. 

“I am relaxed,” Ana argued. Unfortunately, she still wasn’t meeting his eyes and that gave away her lie. 

“Right, and I’m a chick. Seriously, Ana, relax. Let me ask you something. We’re dating, right?” JC asked as he paused in the middle of the walkway. He pulled her to stand in front of him, and he looked down at her. 

“Well, yeah, I believe that’s what we agreed to. And I mean, this is a date, isn’t it?” Ana replied quietly. She’d never realized how much taller he was, but having to look up to see him proved that. 

“Yeah, and I don’t risk bodily injury for just any girl, you know?” JC kidded and smiled. They were both risking getting mobbed by going out without security. But, he figured they were safe since no one was expecting them to be in San Diego. “Now, because we are dating, you shouldn’t be embarrassed to kiss me. I wouldn’t even consider that a kiss. It was just a tease.” 

“I just got too excited. I’m sorry,” Ana replied before looking down. The firecracker that he’d always seen was not so fiery right now and that caused him to smirk. 

“Don’t apologize. If anything, please get excited some more,” he joked as he wrapped his arm around her waist. In response, she too wrapped her arms around his waist and held tightly. Smoothing back her hair, he cupped her cheek and brought her face closer to his. 

“You’re not going to apologize for this later, are you?” Ana asked quietly when she realized that he was probably going to kiss her right now. JC chuckled softly before shaking his head. 

“Absolutely not,” his whisper came before his full lips covered her lips. Sighing, Ana felt her body relax against his. She didn’t dare move her lips, and instead let him take the lead. Gently massaging her lips with his, JC cocked his head to the side for a better angle. He led her head to the side with his hand that still cupped the side of her neck. Using his lips, he managed to part her lips slightly before releasing them. Rubbing his nose against hers, he took a step back. Smiling, he grabbed her hand and pulled her the rest of the way to the park entrance. 

“You, Mr. Chasez, are quite peligroso,” Ana breathed once she regained usage of her voice. JC chuckled and pulled her to his side. Wrapping an arm around her shoulders, he kissed her temple. 

“You wanted an older man. Well, I just hope you can keep up,” JC smirked and laughed when he felt Ana’s smack on his stomach. 

“You’re so conceited,” she grumbled before joining his laughter. 

“Come on, let’s go play with the koalas!” JC exclaimed before pulling her hand and jogging to the Outback exhibit. Ana allowed him to pull her and jogged behind him giggling. There weren’t that many people around – it was a Thursday morning after all. They probably looked like idiots giggling and horsing around; but, to them, these opportunities to be free and jovial were rare in this business. They wore baseball caps and shades in an effort to shield their identities, and they hoped the paparazzi wouldn’t ruin their day. 

After feasting on cotton candy, hotdogs, and pretzels for lunch, they continued their journey to the second half of the zoo. Carrying around her camera, Ana captured photographs of them playing with the Koala bears, feeding the camels, posing with the tigers, and just monkeying (pun intended) around the zoo. 

“Oh man, that was a blast!” JC exclaimed as he wiped his face with a paper towel that Ana had handed him. They’d been in the elephant exhibit, the last exhibit, when the elephants had decided to soak them by blowing water from their trunks. Ana had laughed mercilessly when JC got majority of the splash. 

“Your face was priceless,” Ana continued to laugh at his expense doubled over. Grabbing her, JC rubbed his wet face into her neck as Ana squealed. 

“Josh! Stop! You big oaf!” Ana exclaimed before managing to break free from him and smacking his arm. 

“Oh, so now I’m an oaf! I’m a big brute, huh?” JC questioned with an arched brow. Seeing the smirk on his face, Ana knew to run. Quickly turning away, Ana ran from him. JC didn’t hesitate to chase her out the park and tackle her in the greens of Balboa Park. 

“Oof! Damn!” Ana’s groan from underneath him caused him to chuckle. Rolling off of her, he laid on the grass next to her and looked up to the afternoon sunny skies. 

“That’s what you get, punk,” JC stuck his tongue out at him and a slight blush rose to her cheeks. He chuckled slightly before grabbing a hold of her hand. 

“Where do the guys think you are?” Ana questioned as they just laid on the grass. She looked down at her arms and his arms, and she could see that they were tanning. Naturally, she already had a tan, so it wasn’t hard for her to tan. But, a tan of his fair skin made him sexier. 

“I’m not sure. They’re all at the house now, but they know I had some producing projects out here and furniture shopping that I needed to do. What about Lacy?” JC replied turning his head to face hers. 

“Funny enough, I told her I was coming down to San Diego to visit CeCe. But, CeCe is in Georgia visiting Myra,” Ana replied with a slight chuckle. 

“Is it bad that I’m enjoying the sneaking around?” JC asked after a brief pause. 

“No, I was going to say the same. In this business, we can’t have too many things that are just ‘ours’. Normally, we’re forced to share everything. So, having this be our little secret is so much fun,” Ana answered before turning back to look at the clouds. After a while, JC stood up and reached down his hand to help her up. Lying there, her tank had risen to expose some of her stomach and JC forced himself to think happy thoughts. 

“Come on, are you hungry?” he asked helping her stand. It was about 5 in the afternoon, and they’d ate almost five hours ago.  

“I could eat, sure,” Ana replied dusting her shorts off. Gathering her bag from the ground, she held onto his hand and followed him across the park. 

“Ok, cool, well let’s go find a place to get dinner from and then there’s somewhere else I want to take you before we get back on the road,” JC said helping her stand and pulling her back across the park to the car. 

Finding a roadside taqueria, Ana pulled them inside and proceeded to educate JC on the finer points of authentic Mexican cuisine. JC stated he’d traveled the entire world twice already, yet he’d never been able to truly explore Mexico. Ana promised to take him one day to show him the true Mexico, not the tourist spots like Cancun or Cabo. They’d ordered their steak tacos, carne asada tortas (Mexican sandwiches), and aguas de horchata (a drink made from rice, cinnamon, and vanilla) to go because JC really wanted to show her another place. 

After driving another ten minutes up I-5, JC pulled the car into a small parking lot, they carried their food onto the beach. Laying out his button-up shirt on the sand, JC set the food bags on it before taking a seat on the sand. 

“CeCe always talks about how beautiful La Jolla is, but I’d never gotten the opportunity to come visit,” Ana smiled as she sat down in the sand next to JC. Sunset was quickly approaching, and luckily they were going to catch it over La Jolla Cove. 

“Earlier this year, when I first bought the house here, I decided to just drive down to Tijuana. I want to see what was around, and I stopped here. It was absolutely beautiful. If I could, I would live here in San Diego instead of LA. But, it’s just more convenient to live ther,” JC explained as he unwrapped his torta and bit into it. 

“I don’t blame you. I’ve never been much of a city girl. None of my homes, except for the condo in New York, are in the city. I like being close enough to the city, but I couldn’t live in the heart or too close to it. I like peace and quiet,” Ana agreed as she too ate her food. 

“So, tell me, what’s coming up next for you?” JC asked as the sun got lower in the sky and the day’s last beams of light bounced off their faces. 

“Well, I already told you this. But, I signed with Columbia on Monday. I get to release the Spanish album by Christmas. So, what I thought would be my vacation has turned into work. Promotion, you know appearances, performances, interviews, blah, blah, starts next month. I’ll be out the country mostly,” Ana explained. 

“What are you going to do about your next English record?” 

“I’m gonna put it off for a while. I’ve released a record every year for the past four years. I want to take a step back. Maybe do some more acting, I enjoyed myself with Training Day. Maybe do some writing and producing. Columbia is being very loose-reign with me.”

“Ana, sometimes I forget you’re only 19. You have your entire life planned out for yourself already. You remind me a lot of Justin,” JC pointed out. He loved talking to her about her plans or goals because he always realized how ambitious she was. She was completely dedicated to her craft, but she refused to spread herself out too much. She either dedicated herself completely to her music or her acting or her philanthropic work, but never to all things at once. 

“No, I don’t plan my life. I plan what I want to do, but I’m not on a timeline. Timelines, schedules, and other such things are constraints. I like to roll with the tide, but always be ahead of it,” Ana smirked bumping shoulders with him. 

“Yeah, now, you definitely sound like Justin,” JC kidded and chuckled. 

“Well, that’s kinda weird. That means you’re dating Justin and you’ve kissed Justin!” Ana joked before squealing. JC had pounced on her as soon as she’d finished her statement. 

“I’ll show you kissing Justin,” he growled before pushing his lips on her lips. When he pulled away, Ana stood up grinning and began dancing around JC, singing loudly. 

And oh, just one little kiss
And now I know what I missed
Baby all my life and I was not expecting this
Now you got me where I live
With just one little kiss
 

“Oh hush up, and come here,” JC groaned before pulling her back down beside him. He leaned over and silenced Ana’s giggles.  

#### 

The Next Day 

“Rise and shine you boogers!” Ana’s voice boomed from JC’s foyer into the living room, where the five guys were lounging. 

“It’s 2 in the afternoon, you silly girl. Of course we’re awake. Get in here!” Chris’s voice boomed in return. Ana entered the living room with three pizzas in her hands, being followed by Laci. 

“What are you guys doing?” she asked setting the pizzas down in the center table. Going around the room, she kissed each guy on the cheek before taking a seat on the couch next to Joey. 

“Being lazy, and deciding what to do today?” Justin answered without taking his eyes away from the video game that he was playing with Lance. 

“What have you been up to? Lacy mentioned you went down to Diego yesterday. You got a nice tan, I see,” JC casually commented as Lacy took a seat beside him. Looking at him, Ana smirked before replying. 

“Yes, I went to visit Cecelia, but she wasn’t in town. So, I spent the day outside,” Ana replied as she messed with Joey’s hair. 

“Wait, how’d you get a tan?” Chris questioned JC. Ana’s head snapped in his direction, and chewed her lip wondering how he’d answer. Sitting on the couch in shorts and a muscle tank, it was pretty evident to notice his golden tan on his shoulders. 

“Oh, umm, I spent the day looking for furniture then I went down to Venice Beach to write some,” JC hesitated a moment before letting the reply roll easily off his tongue. Ana released the breath she hadn’t realized she’d been holding. JC’s eyes flickered to her, and she could read the relief in them. 

“Well, you two should’ve just hung out together at the beach and caused some headlines,” Justin chuckled turning around to look at them. Ana chuckled nervously before joining the entire group. 

“I think we’ve caused enough headlines, but next time I feel like making Walt’s life hell, I know who to call,” Ana smiled tightly before relaxing against the couch. She snuck a glance at JC, and he merely winked before chuckling to himself. Ana glared at him before she, too, couldn’t help but chuckle. 

Song Credits: 

“Just One Little Kiss” – Lila McCain

End Notes:
REVIEW! REVIEW! REVIEW!
Chapter 10: Surprises! Surprises! by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:

Review! Please! Let me know if you guys are liking it so far!

October 2000 

“So, what are you doing?” JC voice flowed through the speakerphone of Ana’s phone that sat on her bed.

“Getting old, you?” Ana kidded as she settled at the foot of her bed. 

“Getting older, smarty pants,” JC chuckled. 

“No, I’m just getting ready for bed. I just got in from the premiere.” 

“Oh yeah, we saw it on ET earlier. Who were you trying to look all hot for, huh?” JC taunted drawing a chuckle from Ana. 

“Well, I knew you’d be watching, so I was making sure you knew what you were missing out on,” she flirted in return. JC chuckled on his end.

“Oh, on the carpet, I did some interview, and I was practically harassed about my age again,” Ana sighed as she continued to brush her hair before braiding it. 

“Oh man, really? What did Denzel say?” JC sighed as well. Ana had gone to the premier as Denzel’s date since his wife had been unable to make it. Recently, the media had begun to make an issue of the fact that Ana shot racy scenes for the movie while being 18 years old. 

“Oh, he was such a trooper. At first, the lady was asking me, but he totally swept in and saved the day. His words, I swear: ‘If anyone was to meet this young lady, they’d know that she respects herself very much so. It was a job, which she did fabulously if I do say so myself. It doesn’t matter if Ana was 18, 25, or 30, she knew that she had every right to stop production if she felt uncomfortable. Now, if you don’t mind, let’s go back to actually talking about the film.’ Josh, I was like a deer caught in headlights,” Ana groaned as she flung herself back onto her hotel bed. She was in LA, again, and tomorrow she was off to New Mexico to shoot her video. In the past month, she could swear that she’d spent more time in the air than on solid ground – flying from one place to the other. 

“Well, I don’t blame you honey. But, I’m sure it wasn’t all that bad. The man has spoken, so I doubt it’ll come up again. Where are you off to tomorrow?” JC asked. On his end, he, too, was sprawled on his bed in Orlando. The guys were doing rehearsals for the 2nd leg of the No Strings Attached tour. 

“I fly out to Albuquerque in the morning for video shoot and photo shoot. How are things on your end?” Ana asked as she dragged her body up towards the headboard and under the covers. 

“We finished filming the video, so we’re back in Orlando rehearsing. Are you coming out for opening night?” JC asked. They’d talked about her coming out to Charlotte to see their first show before she flew out for her promotional tour. She wouldn’t be back in the country until Thanksgiving, so she really wanted to stop by and spend some time with him. 

“Yeah, the show’s on the 17th, right?” she asked through her yawn. 

“Yeah, Chris doesn’t know this but we’re throwing him a surprise party for his birthday the night before. So, if you could make it on the 16th that would be perfect. If not, you could surprise him onstage on the 17th,” JC nonchalantly commented. He’d volunteered himself with the guys to get her to come to the show. The four of them were planning a joint birthday party for Chris and Ana, although Chris assumed it was only for her. 

“Well, how can I say no to an offer like that? Give me a second. Let me check my schedule. Hold on,” Ana replied before leaning over the side of the bed and grabbing her schedule binder from her backpack on the floor. Her binder kept her sane; despite having Lacy there with her to keep her organized, Ana liked knowing she had her schedule on hand. Flipping to the following week, Ana checked her availability. 

“Umm, I’m flying in from Mexico City that afternoon to Atlanta. But, I can always change the flight. I’ll just fly in directly to Charlotte,” Ana commented before making a note on her schedule to inform Lacy. 

“Are you sure you? It’s cool if you want to stop by home first. I’m sure he’ll understand,” JC soothed. 

“I’ll be fine. Plus, this means I’ll see you for longer. Maybe you can join me for my birthday lunch,” Ana smiled when she heard JC chuckle slightly. 

“You know, I kinda like you asking me out,” he kidded. Ana chuckled in response before clicking her tongue. 

“What can I say? I’m a modern-kind-of-girl,” she smirked. JC laughed loudly on the other end, and her smile grew. 

“Ah yes, I’ve never dated that kind before. I apologize for my inexperience.” 

“I’m sure you’re more experienced that I am. If anyone needs to apologize for inexperience, it’s me. So, in advance, I’m sorry,” Ana teased. 

“Oh please, you’re no green creature. Can I ask you a question?” JC asked. 

“1,” came her reply. She didn’t need to hear the question to know what he wanted to ask. 

“Just one? How long ago?” 

“Dated for 3 years until last November. How do you think ‘Case of the Ex’ came about?” 

“Wow, a 3 year relationship under the belt. Impressive. Did you love him?” 

“I thought I did, but it was more infatuation and a false sense of security. I might’ve been naïve, but I respect myself too much to hang around that. Cheating doesn’t fly well with me.” 

“So, that’s why you were so understanding about Bobbie and I, huh? You understood my issue with conformity.” 

“Of course, the hardest thing is not seeing reality, but it’s accepting it and letting go of the person. Fortunately, my pride was the only thing on the line. My dignity, heart, soul, and body were all mine. And I wasn’t willing to compromise any of those things.” 

“So, you’ve never … like … you know,” JC stuttered his next statement. Ana’s laughter on the other end put him a bit at ease. 

“You can ask. I’m pretty open with family and friends. I’m reserved in public, but I don’t hold back my tongue in private. You remember what I told Steven at the club. I’ve done pretty much anything you can think of, but I’ve never had sex. I know that my music and my performance suggest that I’m knowledgeable about it, but I’m not. I’m not ignorant either, but I’m not an expert. Does that bother you?” 

“Not in the slightest bit. But, I will be honest. It does change the playing field. I don’t think I need to explain this to you, but I’ve had sex. I won’t go into detail of numbers or individuals because I really doubt you want to know that. But, if you do, I’ll be honest. I don’t have sex just to have sex, and I do put serious thought into it before taking that next step. But, if and when we get there, I just want you to know that it would be after some serious consideration and serious commitment.” 

“Well, thank you. I appreciate that, and I wouldn’t expect anything less of you. Can I ask for one thing however?” 

“Anything.” 

“Only because I’m a virgin doesn’t mean you have to walk on eggshells around me. I’m not naïve. Sometimes I don’t think of what a tease I can be, and I don’t want to lead you on. So, please tell me.”

“Is that what he told you? Was that his reason for cheating? You teased him but wouldn’t put out?” JC asked with a slight edge to his voice. He’d tensed up as he heard her almost plead him. 

“No, not exactly, but I mean…” 

“No, there is no ‘but’. Listen to me, Ana. I want you to be yourself with me. Look, you’re incredibly beautiful and you are mind-boggling sexy. If I, as a man, cannot control myself and respect you, then I don’t deserve you. If it ever becomes too much for me, then I will let you know and I will step away to cool off. But, on my behalf, do not restrain who you are. Do you understand?” JC’s stern voice filled her ear. Biting her lip, she nodded her head before realizing that he couldn’t see her. 

“Yeah, I understand.” 

“Now, tell me about this video. Will there be any guys? Should I be worried?” JC joked trying to lighten the mood. Ana giggled before answering. 

“No, no love interest. But, plenty of male dancers. You know, like Chippendales,” Ana replied before hearing JC groan. She relaxed deeper into the mattress as the playful banter continued between them. 

#### 

October 15, 2000 

The guys’ tour began in two days, and Wade had given them the day off. Tomorrow, they would be running through the show all day, so he figured they could use the rest. 

“What’s everyone gonna do?” Wade asked after he delivered the news to the guys early that morning. 

“Sleep,” came Joey’s reply followed by a yawn. 

“Check in at the office,” came Lance’s distracted reply. 

“Golf,” came Justin and Chris’s simultaneously reply. They all turned to look at JC waiting for his reply, but he was in deep thought. He had a pensive and faraway look on his face. 

“Wait, when do we have to be back tomorrow?” he asked as he snapped his head around to look at the guys. 

“I think 10am, why?” Wade replied as he checked his mental schedule. 

“No reason. I gotta jet. I’ll see you fools tomorrow. Don’t call me, I’m not answering,” JC’s cryptic smile confused the guys as they watched him pick up his duffle and run out the rehearsal studio. They watched through the windows as he ran out to their rental, cell phone in hand, and sped out. 

“What was that all about?” Wade jabbed a thumb in JC’s direction. 

“He’s finally lost it?” Lance offered. The guys all looked at each other before shrugging and splitting off. 

#### 

Mexico City, Mexico 

“Hotel Four Season, por favor,” JC tried his hand at Spanish as he spoke to the cabdriver. The cabbie nodded his head before merging into traffic outside the Benito Juarez International Airport. 

Sitting back, JC smiled as he thought of the look of surprise that he was sure to see on Ana’s face when he showed up at her hotel room door. He knew that she was doing promotion right now, but they were all interviews in her hotel. He hadn’t told anyone where he was going, and he planned on keeping his whereabouts secret. 

After about thirty minutes, the taxi pulled up to the front of the hotel and JC paid the fare before stepping out with his carry-on. Pulling his shades down, he looked at the grandeur of the building before him. Sprawling and lush gardens decorated the front. Walking down the path, JC circled the water fountain before continuing down the cobblestone path to the front doors. Nodding his head at the bellboy, JC stepped into the hotel and searched for the elevators. 

Catching an elevator before the doors closed, JC rode up to the eighth floor. So, he’d been nosy the last time he’d talked to Ana, and he remembered her talking about the view from her suite on the eighth floor. Stepping out the elevator, JC wondered how he’d figure out her room number. But, that was quickly forgotten when he spotted Wolf down the hall monitoring a doorway.

“JC? What are you doing here man?” Wolf question as JC got closer to him. They shared a handshake and a half hug. 

“Man, it’s her birthday. Did you think I would miss it? Is she busy?” JC questioned signaling towards her room. Wolf was one of two people that knew about Ana and JC’s relationship. The only other person that knew was Randy, JC’s bodyguard. 

“She’s in there doing some Spanish magazine interviews, but you can go on in man. Here, let me let you in,” Wolf said before using his keycard to open the door. JC thanked him before stepping into the suite. He remained as quiet as possible as he sat his bag inside the small closet by the door. He could see a row of cameras and lighting surrounding the reporter and Ana. 

She looked gorgeous to him in her casual, yet classy outfit. He could never explain how she managed to be so elegant even in sweats. But, today, she wore a white with blue stripes three-quarter-length sleeve top that left her shoulders exposed, white jeans, and tan peep-toe flats. Her brunette hair was perfectly straightened and styled to frame her face, but her bangs were held back by a simple bobby pin. 

JC watched from her laugh and joke with the reporter from the shadows. He assumed that she had been asked to sing a snippet of a song because her voice soon filled his ears. Watching the reporter wrap up the interview, JC approached the setup. He stood there until he was able to catch Ana’s gaze. 

“Josh! What are you doing here?” she exclaimed as she hopped from her seat and jumped over some cables. JC caught her hand and pulled her into a hug as she rounded in front of him. 

“Happy Birthday babygirl,” he whispered so only she could hear him. She pulled away and smiled brightly. 

“Oh, I wish I could kiss you right now,” she whined and he laughed at her. The reporter came over and introduced herself to JC as Estela, the magazine reporter. 

Mucho gusto. Yo soy Joshua,” he answered as he shook her hand. 

“Eres del grupo *NSYNC, verdad?” she asked with no hesitation. Ana could not believe the audacity of this reporter. 

“Estela, creo que la entrevista ha terminado,” Ana warned her that the interview was over. Estela agreed and stated that it was out of pure curiosity. 

Si, soy de *NSYNC. Es su cumpleaños y es una sorpresa," JC’s grammar was off, but he got his point across. Estela stated she understood and told him it was a pleasure meeting him. She proceeded to tell him that she hoped the group would interview with her magazine the next time they were in town. With Ana’s help, JC replied and soon they were left alone as Estela and her crew exited the hotel room. 

“Now, what are you doing here? I thought you were in rehearsals,” Ana questioned once again as she took a cleaning cloth and began to wipe the makeup off her face. 

“Wade told us this morning that we had the day off until tomorrow at 10, so I ran out the studio. Packed an overnight bag, and hopped on a plane,” JC replied. Taking a seat on her couch, he watched her wiped her face completely clear. To him, she looked so much better clear-faced. She smiled at him as she walked over to him. Leaning over him, she kissed him softly before standing up straight. 

“Mmm, I’ve been wanting that for a while now,” she grinned before taking a seat beside him. 

“Me too, but I don’t think that was enough,” JC smirked before pulling him closer to him and drawing her lips to his. Ana giggled against his lips before giving in to his kisses. Pulling her legs up onto his lap, she wrapped an arm around his neck. Finally pulling away, he patted her leg as he rubbed her thigh. She kept her arm around his neck and ran her fingertips through his hair. 

“Are you done here for the day?” he asked as he drew figures on her thighs. 

“Yeah, I have a talk show in the morning and then I fly out. Why?” she replied looking at him. 

“Well, I wondered if you would join me for dinner tonight in celebration of your birthday,” JC commented sneaking a glance at her. Ana’s smile grew before she agreed and they began to discuss places to go. Since JC didn’t know the city, Ana suggested that instead of going to a restaurant, they go try authentic Mexican food sold. 

#### 

“Anita, honey, we need to get going,” JC called from the sitting area towards the bathroom. 

“Want to go dancing afterwards?” Ana replied as she walked out fastening her earrings. 

“Yeah, that sounds good. Will you be comfortable in those shoes all night?” JC motioned towards her navy satin stilettos. Ana nodded, grabbed her purse, and followed JC out of the hotel room. She looped her arm through his as they walked out the lobby with their heads bowed so as to avoid their faces to show in pictures. Climbing into a cab, Ana instructed the driver to the heart of Mexico City’s Historical Center. 

“Let me warn you. You’re about to feed me my favorites, so if I start looking like a pig, look away,” Ana joked as they walked down cobblestone streets. 

“Wow, this is amazing. You know, usually you only see the ‘typical’ Mexican town on television, and I always assumed that they didn’t exist. But, this, this is pure colonial architecture,” JC was in awe as they walked along the historic center. 

“I love it here. The culture, the history, and the way of life here is amazing. My dad is from a really small town in rural Guanajuato, which is a state northwest of here. Everyone still lives off the land, electricity is recent commodity, you know, stuff like that. It’s such an untouch culture. Maybe I’ll take you one day,” Ana smiled before tugging into a small fonda. 

“Have you ever lived here?” JC asked as they sat waiting for their food. 

“Not really. Dad would bring us to visit every year for summer vacation, so the longest I’ve stayed here was two months. We have a house that he built in Las Estacas, which is the town he’s from. That’s where we used to go,” Ana replied. A plate of steaming chilaquiles and enchilada was placed in front of JC. Ana had explained the menu to JC and let him make his own choice.

“This looks delicious,” JC commented as he readied his fork to dig in. 

“It is delicious. You’re going to love it,” Ana replied as she looked at her choice, a huarache. She watched JC fix a huge bite onto his fork, and she stifled her chuckle. 

“It’s really hot, Josh,” she warned but he disregarded her. Shoving the fork into his mouth, JC happily chewed. It was straight from a comedy; JC’s face began to go red and he began to fan his hand over his mouth. Ana chuckled before handing him a glass of water. 

“I warned you it was spicy, baby,” she chuckled. She got up and ordered a glass of milk from the counter. Bringing it back to the table, she instructed JC to drink it. 

“Man! Whoo! That was incredible!” he choked in between coughs. Ana continued to laugh at his expense, and soon he had joined in. 

“You’re adorable,” she smiled before leaning over the small table and kissing his lips gently. A slight blush covered his cheeks once she sat back. 

“You can show me around some more, and then we can hit a club. Deal?” JC asked as they finished eating. Ana nodded, and they stood to head out. She posed for a couple of photos with the owners before they stepped outside. 

#### 

October 16, 2000 

“PAR-TAY!” Justin’s voice bellowed as he burst through the doors of the arena lounge. The guys were in Charlotte, North Carolina. 

“Hush! Ana is just down the hall!” Chris jumped to his feet in an effort to quiet Justin. The other guys hid their smirks as they watched Justin act ashamed. He grabbed an apple from the catering table before taking a seat at their table. 

“Sorry, dude, I forgot she was around. Is everything set for tonight?” Justin spoke with a mouthful of half-chewed apple. 

“Yeah, I told her I’d escort her to our ‘ritual’ pre-tour dinner. Her face is gonna be priceless. I bet she thinks we forgot about her birthday,” Chris smirked and evilly rubbed his hands together.

The guys cocked an eyebrow at his odd behavior. 

“What? I’m excited,” Chris shrugged before standing up and leaving the room. The other guys just looked at each other and laughed. 

#### 

“Christopher! If you don’t hurry, we’re gonna be late!” Ana’s frustration was evident in her voice. She was sitting on Chris’s hotel bed waiting for him to finish getting ready. The plan was to be late, and have the other guys leave ahead of them. But, not this late. 

“I’m trying to hurry. A more minute, I swear!” Chris’s reply came from the bathroom. Ana sighed and rested her elbow on her crossed legs. She glanced up as Chris came out the bathroom dressed in dark wash faded jeans, a black graphic t-shirt, and black riding boots. He was pulling on a black leather jacket as he approached Ana. 

“You realize all we need is shades and our Harleys to complete our Hell’s Angels getup, right?” Ana chuckled as she stood. Chris looked at her outfit before chuckling and heading to the door. Ana followed him in her black jeans, black bustier top with purple polka dots, and black peep-toe pumps. 

“We’ll just have to walk in there like Libra Rockstars, then,” Chris commented as they walked down the short flight of stairs down to the lobby. The guys had rented out one of the ballrooms in the hotel for convenience and media control. They liked to keep their tour gatherings as private as possible in hopes of protecting all tour employees. 

Crossing lobby now. 

Ana texted JC as they exited the stairwell. 

Be there in T minus 1 min. 

Chris texted Justin as well. Sneaking a glance at Ana, Chris couldn’t help but smirk. He could almost bet that she’d assumed that they’d forgotten her birthday. Oh, this was going to be great. 

“After you, Mr. Tour Man,” Ana stated as they reached the ballroom doors. Chris paused beside her. 

“Oh no, ladies first, it’s the gentleman thing to do,” Chris replied as he made a motion signaling her to go first. 

“You’re not from the South, Chris. There are no gentlemen in Pittsburg, so do me a favor and go in,” Ana retorted with a roll of her eyes. Normally, she wouldn’t have to worry about Chris bum-rushing into any setting. Chris cocked an eyebrow at her before thinking of a way to get her to go inside first. 

“How about we go in together? I’ll open this door and you’ll open that door. Deal?” Chris suggested eyeing the double doors. Ana looked at him skeptically before nodding in agreement.

“Ready? 1…2…3…” 

“SURPRISE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” they both excitedly yelled at each other. Realizing that they were both ‘surprising’ each other, they turned to look at the large crowd staring at them. The banner above the crowd read: 

Happy Birthday Gramps & Youngin’! 

Looking at each other before turning to look at the crowd, they both doubled over in a fit of giggles. The crowd laughed along with them before moving forward to hug the birthday boy/birthday girl. 

“I can’t believe you guys tricked me!” Ana playfully smack the other four guys as she hugged each. They all walked to get food from the buffet tables before sitting down. After everyone ate, the dance floor opened up and everyone scattered like cockroaches to find a dance partner or to get a drink from the bar. 

“Thank you,” Ana’s lips brushed his ear as she walked up behind him at the bar. She felt him shudder slightly at the contact. Turning around, he reached out to hug her. 

“My pleasure, honey. You look incredible,” he replied with such sincerity that it gave Ana chills. Pulling away, he eyed her outfit before moving his gaze upward to her smokey eye makeup that made the gold in her eyes pop, nude lips, and bouncy curls. Reaching up to touch her hair, he was pleased to find it silky and smooth. “I’ve never seen your hair like this. I like it.”

“It’s a hassle to maintain it like this, but I didn’t feel like dealing with straightening it,” Ana shrugged as she ran a hand through her hair. When straightened, her hair reached her lower back. But in its natural curly state, it framed her face and bounced to about a shoulder length. 

“Well, I love it. You look incredibly sexy, and I don’t feel so bad about saying that,” JC smirked as he wrapped an arm around her waist. Sneaking a quick glance around the ballroom, she realized that no one was paying attention to them. 

“I must say, I don’t feel so bad about feeling sexy with you. Now, come on, grant me the first dance of the night,” with a wink she walked away and pulled him into the crowd to reach the makeshift dance floor in the center of the room. They stood there for about a second as one song ended and faded into another one. Recognizing the opening chords, Ana smirked as she motioned JC to shed his leather jacket and tossed it off to the side. 

Love and happiness...
something that can make you do wrong, make you do right...
Love...
 

“What does a Northerner, like you, know about soul music, Mr. Chasez?” Ana smirked as she stood in front of him swaying slightly to the music. She ran her eyes from his brown shoes to his faded jeans and charcoal sweater. Damn, he looked good. 

“You’d be surprised how much I know, Ms. Mora,” JC smirked. 

Love and happiness
Wait a minute...
 

“Learn me,” Ana taunted spreading her arms in a challenging manner. Grabbing her hand, he pulled her body flush as his. Wrapping an arm tightly around her slender waist, JC held her other hand in his and began to sway their bodies to the smooth jam. 

something's going wrong
someone's on the phone
three o'clock in the morning
talkin'
about how she can make it right
well, happiness is when you really feel good about somebody
nothing wrong with being in one with someone
 

Caressing the back of his neck with her free hand, Ana stood eye-to-eye with JC. Her four-inch heels were definitely to thank for this feat. He held her so close; no breeze could slip between their bodies. One of Ana’s legs rested between JC’s legs and vice versa. Forehead to forehead, they never broke their gaze.

oh, baby, love and happiness
love and happiness...
love and happiness...

“Are you serenading me, Josh?” Ana teased softly as she twirled back into his arms after he’d spun her. Not bothering to reply, JC smiled before continuing to softly sing along with the track.

Love and happiness
You be good to me
I'll be good to you
we'll be together
we'll see each other
walk away with victory

Knowing no one was looking at them, JC bent his head down slightly and brushed his lips against the corner of her lips. Ana looked up at him in surprise. 

“It’s your party. We’ll blame it on the alcohol if anyone asks,” he replied before pulling her back against him. 

“Thank you for yesterday and for today. I really do appreciate it,” Ana said so only he could hear her. He’d flown out around 4:30 this morning and made it to rehearsals about ten minutes late. The guys had all questioned him on his whereabouts, but he had diverted the conversation by stating their need to rehearse. 

“I couldn’t miss your big 2-0!” Ana smacked him as they continued to dance. As the night wore on, Ana was “passed” around as a dance partner. She managed to dance with all the guys, band members, and even crew members. Yes, she was tired and her shoes were not meant to be used for dancing, but she was having a blast. All night, JC and her would sneak away for alone time or steal kisses from each other when they knew for sure that no one was looking. The thrill of sneaking around made it so much fun. 

“Night Ana!” came as a chorus down the hall as everyone retired to their rooms. She waved to everyone before unlocking her door. Before she could step inside and close the door, she was grabbed around the waist. 

“AH!” 

“Hush, I’m just saying goodnight. I’ll see you tomorrow. Lunch, maybe?” JC whispered as he pulled her slightly into her hotel room. He held her against the wall as his foot kept the door from closing. 

“Yeah, I’ll stop by with lunch. Have a goodnight,” Ana replied as she held onto his biceps. Kissing her slowly, JC let her go and disappeared out the door before Ana could react. 

“Happy birthday to me,” Ana giggled as she walked turned on the lights.

 

Song Credit: 

“Love & Happiness” – Al Green

End Notes:
Review! Review! Review!
Chapter 11: Laughing Hyenas by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the wait, just started a job. Balancing a fulltime school schedule & fulltime work schedule isn't so easy. Hope you guys enjoy!

December 2, 2000 - San Diego, CA 

“KATIA! Apurate!” the anxious yell filled the medium size home. Standing in the foyer, Ana rushed her older sister. Her other sisters, Elena, Katia, and Myra were already waiting in the car outside. 

Ya vengo! I had to change my shirt; I smeared lipstick on it. Let’s go,” Katia rushed down the stairs and pulled on Ana’s arm, giving her only a second to pull the door shut behind them. 

“Let’s go, let’s go!” Katia excitedly clapped her hands as she climbed into the backseat of the black Suburban. Four chuckling girls responded before the vehicle pulled out of the driveway and onto the street. 

“Do you guys realize that last time we went to see them in concert was in 1998?” Myra asked as she looked around to her sisters. 

“Oh yeah! Remember, you were going crazy when they flew overhead! Oh man, I’m gonna have to tell them that,” Ana exclaimed before laughing. Myra reached over from the front seat to smack her leg. 

“You will do no such thing! Calmate con eso, Anita!” Myra scolded. The other girls giggled as they continued to drive towards the San Diego Sports Arena. They’d all just returned to San Diego with Cecilia to catch Nsync’s last concert; the girls had flown to Massachusetts to spend Thanksgiving together. 

“When’s the last time you talked to the guys, Anita?” Elena asked from beside her. adjusting her jean shirt, Ana turned to look at Elena. 

“This morning, why?”

“Do they know we’re all coming?” 

“They know Cecilia is coming, but I figured I would spare them the knowledge that our resident cougar here was coming along,” Ana teased Myra. A lone middle finger appeared from the front seat, causing the backseat occupants to laugh. Myra, despite her 22 years of age, bordered obsession when it came to the guys. 

“I still can’t believe you didn’t recognize JC and Justin when you met them. How many times have I made you watch videos, movies, and gone to concerts?” Myra indignantly questioned. 

“Oh hush up,” Ana grumbled before rolling down her back window and giving her name to the security guard outside the private arena entrance. Waving them right in, Cecilia pulled the SUV into a parking space close to the tour buses and the girls stepped out. 

As they all piled out, adjusted clothing, and grabbed purses, Myra stood off to the side literally bouncing in place. 

“Myra, calm down, I swear I will not take you inside,” Ana warned pointing a menacing finger at her. 

“Oh quit the adult charade,” Elena chuckled as they started their way across the large parking lot. Katia and Myra were joined at the elbow, skipping along ahead of the other three girls. 

“They’re going to embarrass me so bad,” Ana groaned as she watched them act like fools. 

“Are you just worried about looking bad with all of them or just one in particular?” Cecilia taunted. The other girls stopped dead in their tracks and turn to look at Ana, awaiting a reply. Willing a guaranteed-blush to vanish, Ana shrugged her shoulders and kept walking. 

“Justin is pretty hot, no?” she commented nonchalantly. Katia shrieked in indignation – Justin was her favorite. 

“You witch!” she exclaimed. Ana laughed loudly before approaching the large metal door and pulling it open. 

#### 

Knock, Knock 

“Come in! It’s open!” came the muffled response from inside. Pushing the door open, Ana stepped into the guys’ designated toy room. 

“Hey bums!” she smiled walking in and waving at the guys and Britney, who were all sprawled about the room. Some were playing video games, while others played foosball. Her eyes darted around the room, one particular boybander was missing. 

“Hey sec-say!” Joey exclaimed as he walked over to greet her. Ana chuckled before accepting his hug and kiss on the cheek. One-by-one, she hugged them all. 

“Hey Britney,” Ana smiled and leaned down to hug her too. 

“Why are you here so early?” Justin asked from his spot on the guitar, where he was messing around with a guitar in his lap. 

“Oh! I have some people I want you guys to meet. Give me a second,” Ana exclaimed as she suddenly remembered her sisters, whom she’d left waiting outside. Opening the door, she poked her head out and waved her sisters in. 

“Guys and Britney, these are my sisters – Elena, Cecilia, Katia, and Myra. Chicas, this is Justin, Joey, Chris, Lance, and of course, Ms. Britney Spears,” Ana introduced them and watched as they all shook hands. 

“You’ve been holding out on us, Ana,” Chris kidded as he walked around her sisters, as if inspecting them. Her sisters all looked nervous before Ana and Lance smacked himself the head. 

“Quit it, gramps!” Ana scolded. Justin welcomed them all to take a seat wherever they found space. 

“Where’s JC?” Ana casually asked as she sat in between Joey and Lance. 

“Oh man…let’s not even go there. Bobbie showed up…” Chris groaned from his place on the floor. It was like a punch to the gut hearing her name, but Ana kept her cool. 

“Ouch,” she stated willing the unsettling feeling in her stomach to disappear. 

“Yeah, he left to talk to her about an hour and a half ago. Hope he’s back soon because we have soundcheck in about ten minutes,” Justin commented. 

“Actually, it starts in 2 minutes. You girls want to sit in on it. I think Brit’s going out there, right?” Lance said while checking his watch. 

“Yeah, I haven’t seen this show at all, so I want to sit out there. Y’all should come out with me,” Britney offered as she stood up and turned around to look at the other girls. Agreeing, they all stood and left the dressing room en route to the stage. 

Letting the guys climb onto the stage, all six girls were led out to the empty arena by security. They all took a seat in the center of the floor to get the full effect. 

“Sorry, I’m late guys,” JC rushed onstage fixing his headset and mic pack. From her seat out in the audience, Ana could see the stress and frustration set on his face. Without looking out into the audience, he began running softly through some warm-ups as the mic levels were corrected. 

“We have some guests,” Justin spoke into the mic and pointed towards the audience. Turning to look out, JC’s warm-ups were halted. Six pairs of eyes in varying shades of brown and green stared back at him in silence. 

“Hello ladies,” he spoke after a brief second of silence. His smooth voice echoed in the empty arena; the girls merely waved in response – all but one. He noticed Ana remained stone-faced, and he knew she knew where he’d been. He tried to grab her attention all throughout soundcheck, but she was intentionally ignoring him. 

After soundcheck, Ana invited everyone out to lunch in celebration of Britney’s 19th birthday. Unfortunately, the guys had interviews and meetings to get done before that night’s concert. So, Ana, her sisters, and Britney headed out together to lunch. 

#### 

“Happy Birthday dear Britney, Happy Birthday to you!” the last note was drowned out by the roar of the audience’s applause. The guys had surprised Britney by bringing her onstage to sing to her. Britney’s smiling face was projected on the large screens, ans Ana could see her joy. 

On their feet, the girls, now joined by Britney, clapped and sang along with the boys as they finished up the show with ‘Digital Getdown’ and ‘Bye Bye Bye’. Each guy made it a point to walk to their end of the stage and make some stupid face or gesture at the girls. And when JC approached them, Ana would not look at him. 

She knew that technically he hadn’t done anything wrong and she shouldn’t be upset with him, and she wasn’t. If anything, she was embarrassed for the jealousy she had felt when Bobbie had been mentioned. 

“My goodness! They only get better!” Myra exclaimed as she bounced in place and cheered loudly. Ana chuckled before turning to Elena, “I hope she loses her voice.” 

“San Diego! We love you! Thank you! We are *NSYNC!” Joey’s voice boomed as the guys gave their final bow and disappeared one-by-one through the curtains. Dre came to escort the girls backstage to meet up with the guys. The guys, Ana, and Britney were scheduled to be in Las Vegas the following day for rehearsals for the Billboard Awards, so Ana had decided to simply catch a ride with them. 

“It was great getting to meet you guys. Spectacular show,” Cecilia spoke as they all stood in the hallway leading out to the outside. The guys had already showered and everyone was ready to board the bus. 

“The pleasure was all ours. Thank you for coming out,” Lance replied as everyone began to  hug goodbye. 

“I’m having a hard time choosing which one of you is the hottest,” Joey smirked as he stood back and looked at them. They all looked alike, yet they all were different in their own way. Varying shades of brunettes tresses, green eyes, brown eyes, golden eyes accented their faces which topped lean, athletic, yet womanly bodies. 

“Britney,” the five sisters replied unanimously before dissolving into a fit giggles. Everyone else simply shook their heads and watched them until they controlled themselves. Hugging and kissing her four sisters, Ana bid them goodbye at the door and watched Randy escort them out to their SUV. Britney latched onto Ana’s arm before following Dre out to the awaiting tour bus. The two pop divas kept their heads down and close by as flashes blinded them from the fans standing outside the security gates. 

“Man! I never get used to this,” Ana sighed as she plopped down onto the guys’ couch waiting for them to climb onto the bus. 

“I know it. If anything, it gets crazier. The only good thing is that it isn’t as bad as overseas,” Britney replied from the couch across from Ana. Looking at each other, the two girls physically shuddered at the thought of the crazed foreign crowds before giggling. Finally, the guys ran onto the bus and the bus pulled out. 

“We got about five hours before we hit the strip, so sayonara ladies,” Chris announced as he walked straight to the bunk area, Ana assumed. Joey and Lance soon followed him before Justin pulled Britney to the back lounge. 

“Are you gonna still ignore me?” JC asked once they were left alone. Ana tried to pull her legs up underneath her, but she realized she couldn’t do much in her short jean skirt. Nervously, she wringed her hands in her lap without lifting her eyes to meet JC’s eyes. 

“Ana, you’re gonna have to talk to me sooner or later,” JC’s soft voice filled her ears. After receiving no answer, JC slowly rolled off the couch and onto his knees in front of Ana. Placing his hands on either side of her hips, he leaned against her knees and closed the space between them. 

“Is this about Bobbie showing up?” he whispered before kissing her cheek. Ana had turned her head to avoid his eyes, but she was having a hard time ignoring him when he was so close. She shook her head in response. 

“Ok, a head shake is something. Tell me what’s going on then, mama,” JC’s arms wrapped around her waist and his fingers caressed the strip of exposed skin on Ana’s back. 

“I’m embarrassed,” she mumbled as she wrapped her arms around his neck. He pulled back slightly to look at her eyes before replying. 

“Embarrased? About what?” he questioned. 

“When Chris mentioned that Bobbie had shown up, I got so jealous,” Ana admitted before burying her face in JC’s neck. She breathed deeply, smelling his freshly-showered smell, before she felt his body shaking slightly. Pulling away, she realized he was chuckling. 

“Aw, don’t pout, honey. And, don’t be embarrassed. I think it’s cute,” JC teased her slightly before leaning over and kissing the tip of her nose lightly. 

“Don’t tease me, Josh,” Ana whined lightly causing JC to laugh a little louder. Rolling back to his heels, he stood and pulled her up with him. 

“Come on, let’s get you some clothes to change into and we’ll watch a movie up here. Is that ok?” JC offered trying to take her mind away from her embarrassment. 

“Yeah, that’s cool. Thank you,” Ana replied as she watched him begin to rummage through his bag at the foot of his bed. He found a pair of snap away pants and a black muscle tee to lend her, and she entered the small restroom to change. 

“Now, come on, let’s find something to watch,” JC extended his hand from his place on the couch. 

“Aren’t you tired? You should go sleep,” Ana commented as she sat beside him and cuddled to his side. 

“I’m too wired to sleep. Usually, we’re all bouncing around for a bit after concerts,” JC replied as he flipped the television and the DVD player on. 

“I’m like that too. I get on the bus after a show, and I’ll do some squats or push-ups or a whole lot of everything to burn energy,” Ana shifted to lay her head on his lap. Instinctively, his fingers found their way to her hair and softly began to comb his fingers through it. 

“Can I get a kiss?” JC asked quietly leaning his head over hers slightly. Ana smiled gently before stretching her neck upward to meet his lips. It was a tender first, at first, but then he reached his hand to hold her neck up. He could taste her strawberry lip gloss, and he was slowly becoming addicted. 

“The guys…” her soft protest sounded as she managed to tear her lips away slightly. 

“They’re asleep,” came his distracted reply as he somehow managed to pull her up to her knees beside him.

“Ever made out?” 

“Of course I have” Ana huffed. JC pulled away and took a hold of her chin. 

“Just making sure because I like to know where I’m heading, chill,” he demanded before bringing her face back to his. Drawing one of her legs over his lap, Ana straddled him and rested her weight on his thighs. JC’s hand ran up and down the length of her back while his other hand held steady to the side of her neck. Tilting her head, JC gained more access to Ana’s lips and mouth. He was addicted. He’d been so hesitant about starting a relationship with her, but now, it just seemed so natural. He didn’t know how long he’d be able to keep them hidden, especially from the guys, but he was going to do all in his power to protect her. 

“Damn Ana, you’re not so green, are ya mama?” JC groaned softly as Ana’s lips left his and moved down to his neck. Her lips tortured his jawline and his earlobe leaving a trail down to his collarbone. 

“Am I doing this wrong?” her warm breath on his neck sent chills down his spine. She’d halted her assault on his neck, but her face remained buried in his neck. 

“Not at all, but honey I won’t be able to contain certain reactions,” he replied gently pulling her face away. Bright, soft golden eyes stared back at him. 

“I’ll stop then. I’m sorry,” Ana whispered before making a move to vacate his lap. 

“Oh, no, please, don’t. Unless it’ll bother you, I’ll be fine. It was just a warning so I didn’t like scar you for life,” JC hands firmly held her hips in place. Looking back at him, Ana contemplated. 

“Are you sure? Doesn’t it hurt?” she questioned. 

“It’s uncomfortable and it’s sensitive, but it doesn’t necessarily hurt,” JC replied. He found it almost endearing that she was so innocent yet not very shy about her innocence. 

“Well, Josh, I don’t want to make you uncomfortable,” she argued. Whenever nerves set in, she needed something to do with her hands; so, she kept her fingers busy outlining the pattern on his t-shirt. 

“Honey, you’re making me feel really good right now,” he growled softly before burying his face in her neck and lightly nipping at her collarbone. Giving up on resistance, Ana buried her fingers in his hair and held tightly to him. He lifted his head and kissed her deeply. And for the first time, he dared to flick his tongue out to trace her bottom lip. Instantly, Ana’s lips parted in a welcoming gesture and their kiss deepened further. 

“C!” Justin’s voice boomed frightening them.

“Shit!” Ana hissed before frantically trying to climb off his lap. In the process, she managed to fall backwards off his lap and land on her butt between the two couches. Unable to hold in their laughter, Ana and JC loudly laughed. Ana’s laugh bellowed throughout the bus as she held on her stomach still on the floor. JC tipped over onto the couch and held his stomach as he too laughed loudly. 

“What the hell is y’all problem, you bunch of hyenas?” Justin asked as he walked into the lounge. The guilty party couldn’t control their laughter long enough to answer so Justin gave up. He grabbed two drinks from the fridge before making his way back to the back shaking his head in disappointment. 

“Oh my god! My stomach!” Ana gasped for air as she continued to laugh uncontrollably. 

“I know!” JC similarly gasped for respiration. Both had tears coming out their eyes. 

“My ass hurts!” Ana declared. Her declaration caused JC to laugh harder. Finding someone’s shoe on the floor, Ana threw it at him in an effort to shut him up. In return, he laughed harder. Hearing his almost squeal-like laughter and seeing his tears, Ana couldn’t help but join once again his laughter. 

#### 

December 6, 2000 

Last night, the stars turned up the heat at the Billboard Music Awards in Las Vegas. Prime example, we have pop superstars Ms. Ana Mora looking lovely in a simple yet very sexy little black dress by Chanel. I was able to talk to her about her upcoming projects and circulating rumors. Check it out,” the reporter on Access Hollywood spoke as a picture of Ana from the previous night flashed behind him. 

Ana sat in JC’s LA living room the following evening waiting for him to get back from picking up some takeout; she glanced out the window and sighed as thunder boomed in the hills. She’d come back to LA for some photoshoots and interviews, and so JC had decided to come with her claiming he had work to finish. None of the guys suspected a thing. 

Ana, you’re look stunning this evening. How are you feeling? You’re up for a couple of awards and you’re performing, is that correct?” 

“Well thank you, Mark. I’m feeling great, excited about the show, and anxious about performing. Singing on live television is always more nerve-wrecking, but I’m excited. It’s going to be an awesome show.” 

“You’re up against some pretty heavy-hitters in the Best Female, Best Album, and Best Song category. Are you worried?” 

“Are you kidding me? No, not at all, personally, I think Christina and Britney have those awards in the bag. They deserve them. If I win, I’ll feel like they were robbed. Honestly.” 

“Well, there’s something we don’t always hear. You’ve had a phenomenal year. Any plans to take a break anytime soon?” 

I wish…haha, no, I’m joking. I like working. I love my job, and I’m a workaholic. If I’m not recording and releasing music, then I’m writing and producing side projects. Then, on top of all that, I have my foundation that’s really taking off. We just opened our first school in Mexico, so I’m constantly busy.” 

“Being constantly busy, how is possible to maintain a romance?” 

“When I figure it out, I’ll tell everyone the secret.” 

“So, there’s no truth to the Ana Mora-JC Chasez headlines?” 

“I’m not quite sure what the headlines say, so I can’t prove or disprove them. But, I will say that I have incredible people in my life – family, friends, and colleagues. The people I surround myself with are precious to me, so I protect them.” 

“Good answer, mama,” JC’s voice broke through Ana’s concentration. Snapping her head around, she watched him stroll into the living room with two paper bags. She stood to take the food from him as he shed his coat and shook out the raindrops from it. 

“Can’t say I lied,” Ana replied before accepting a peck from JC. She walked to his kitchen to get napkins and drinks for them both. 

“You’re so slick about it though. I definitely need to pick up some pointers,” JC voice travelled into the kitchen as Ana washed her hands and grabbed the necessities. 

“Learning from each other is good,” Ana replied before taking a seat on the floor by the coffee table. JC soon joined her on the floor and the television was switched to HBO. Without paying much attention to the television, the twosome chatted and enjoyed their philly steak sandwiches. 

“Christmas plans?” JC questioned as he took a bite of his sandwich. 

“Every year since daddy passed away, we head to Mexico to spend it with the family. I think the girls are all going, but I have work. Album comes out the 28th so promotion is heavy right now. I know I’m in Chile for the release, but I’m not sure where I am for Christmas,” Ana replied. 

“So, I won’t get to see you,” JC stated more so than questioned. Looking up at him, Ana shrugged. 

“How will we explain if I spend Christmas with you?” 

“Everyone is spending Christmas in Orlando this year. Can you find out? I’d love to spend it with you,” JC requested. Ana nodded and asked him to pass her phone. Quickly, she typed out a message to Lacy. Within minutes, she had a reply. 

“Ha! I’m actually in the states the 24th and 25th. I’m flying in from Spain on the 23rd and flying out to Chile on the 26th,” Ana brightly announced as she read through the schedule that Lacy had sent her.

“Come to Orlando then. Everyone will be there – my family and the guys’ families,” JC requested as he reached to grab her hand. 

“Oh man, your family? What if they don’t like me? Like, what if your mom thinks I’m a little girl? Seriously, Josh, what if they don’t like me? Stop laughing!” Ana exclaimed as she smacked his arm. 

“I’m sorry! You’re just adorable when you’re freaking out! You’ve already met my family, remember dork?” JC chuckled. He leaned back against the couch and kept a close eye on Ana’s behavior. 

“I wasn’t your girlfriend when I met them!” she argued. JC lifted a curious eyebrow. 

“Girlfriend, huh?” he smirked. Ana realized her stumble and tried to react. 

“Well…you know…uh…what I meant,” she stuttered and became suddenly very interested in the aluminum foil left on her paper plate. 

“Well, no, not really,” JC teased. 

“Gosh, I didn’t mean to say girlfriend, but you know, when I met them we weren’t like sneaking around,” Ana stuttered as she avoided eye contact. 

“Well, don’t say it like it would be such a bad thing to be my girlfriend,” JC’s teasing continued. 

“I didn’t mean it that way. Completely untrue, in fact,” she argued. 

“So, you want to be my girlfriend?” he questioned. 

“Oh man, I’m just digging myself into a deeper hole,” Ana groaned and dropped her head back onto the couch. JC chuckled before pushing the coffee table away from their bodies. Twisting around, he crawled the short distance to Ana and straddled her outstretched legs. 

“And what kind of boyfriend would I be if I left you in this hole?” he voice dripped with humor. Without opening her eyes, Ana smirked as she realized his teasing. 

“A bad boyfriend?” she offered. Leaning down, JC placed feather-like kisses all over Ana’s face – nose, eyelids, chin, forehead, cheek, temple, jaw, and finally her lips. Maintaining his lips on hers, JC spoke. 

“Anita, would you be my girlfriend?” she smiled against his lips before moving her hands to his slender hips that rested atop her. 

“Of course,” she replied before pulling him closer. She closed the small amount between them and pressed her lips into his. He hummed happily, breathing in deeply. He turned his head in order to open his mouth, his warm breath and tongue teased her bottom lip. In response, she opened her mouth releasing a sigh into his. Both released a groan when their tongues intertwined.  

“Whoa” Ana breathed as she pulled away feeling a sharp chill rush down her spine. 

“Whoa is right” JC breathed as he moved his lips down to her neck and focusing on her collarbone. Letting her eyes fall shut, Ana focused on the texture of his lips on her skin. His hands held her hips in place and her hands slipped beneath the bottom of his t-shirt. She dared to run her nails along the base of his back, and she felt his shudder against her. 

“You’re teasing, honey,” he whispered against the spot below her ear. 

“I know” she gasped with a shiver. Rolling back onto his heels, he pulled her up and onto the couch. In a smooth motion, he too sat down and pulled her onto his lap. 

“I absolutely love kissing you,” he groaned he continued to kiss the other side of her neck now. 

“Absolutely-fucking-fantastic,” she managed to say before he captured her lips once more. Reaching over, he grabbed the remote and shut off the television set. The glow from the occasional lightning lit the living room. Lost in their own world, JC and Ana continued to simply enjoy each other. Moments of complete solitude were rare, but thoroughly enjoyed.

End Notes:
Review! Review!
Chapter 12: Lucky SOB by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:

I'm so excited to be featured -- AH! Thank you for all the reviews! Keep them coming

December 23, 2000

Orlando, Florida 

“So, we’re doing a combined dinner tomorrow with all the guys. Were you planning on going to Johnny’s shindig tonight?” JC questioned as he held the phone between his cheek and shoulder. He was walking around his bedroom trying to find clothes to wear to brunch with his family. 

“I wasn’t too sure. Too many Jive people will be there tonight, and I don’t know how that’s going to be,” Ana replied on the other end of the phone. 

“What time do you think you’ll get here?” 

“I’m passing through Valdosta now, so I think it’s about another 3 or 4 hours before I hit town,” Ana replied as she cruised down Interstate 75. She’d flown early into Atlanta yesterday and had decided to spend the day checking up on things at her house. Early this morning, she’d gotten into her SUV with her chocolate Labrador, Tajo. 

“Oh cool, so you should be here around, uh 2. That’s cool. Did you bring Tajo with you?” JC asked as he checked the clock on his nightstand before beginning to get dressed. 

“Yes, I got my baby with me. He was so excited to see me yesterday. He slept with me last night,” Ana cooed as she reached down to scratch between Tajo’s ears. He was peacefully resting his head on her lap as they drove. 

“Great, I’m sure he’ll get along great with Baron,” JC replied referring to his own Akita-Shephred mix dog. 

“What’s the closest hotel to you guys’ house?” Ana asked. 

“Why do you wanna know?” JC paused before slipping his shirt on. 

“So, I can get a room. Duh,” Ana chuckled at the absurdity of his question. 

“Not gonna happen,” JC snorted. 

“Why not?” Ana questioned. 

“Because mom already fixed up a room here with me for you to stay in,” JC said. 

“What?!?! Josh! I can’t stay there with you and your family,” Ana exclaimed causing Tajo to raise his head in question. She soothed her hand back over his head and he lazily returned to his resting position. 

“Why not?” JC asked as he slipped his shoes on. 

“Well, because I’m already a nervous wreck. I don’t need more opportunities to make an ass out of myself,” Ana complained. When nervous, she tended to be a bit of a klutz. 

“There’s nothing for you to worry about, mama. Just relax. You’ve already met my family,” JC rationalized. 

“We weren’t sneaking around Josh!” Ana whined. 

“Then, we’ll tell them and then we won’t have to sneak around. Cool? Cool. I gotta go, so I’ll call you a little later to check in with you. Be safe, honey. Bye,” JC quickly ended the conversation and laughed. He could imagine Ana’s frustration after being hung up on. Shaking his head, he grabbed his wallet and headed downstairs to meet up with his family. 

“Morning mom. Everyone ready?” he questioned kissing her forehead as he walked into the kitchen. He patted his dad’s back in greeting. 

“Morning, Josh. Tyler and Heather are in the living room, so we’re all ready,” Karen replied as she watched JC walk around the kitchen looking for a glass. “Top cabinet, son.” 

“Thanks mom. I swear I need to learn where things are around here. Well, let’s go,” JC said as he drank his glass of water and led them out to the garage. Joining them, his brother and sister all climbed into Tyler’s car and followed JC. 

Once they were all settled inside the restaurant, conversation began to flow around the table. 

“Have you talked to Ana?” Karen asked as she fixed her cup of coffee. 

“Yeah, I called her before we left. She’s on her way down now. She said she should make it around 2 or so,” JC replied as he leaned back in his seat. He had his hand resting on the back of Heather’s chair. 

“I really do wish she wouldn’t have driven down here. I worry about her,” Roy, JC’s dad, commented from his place at the end of the table. 

“I told her, but that’s Ana for you. She likes to travel. She likes to do things her way,” JC agreed with a slight shake of his head. 

“Oh don’t act like she’s wrong. You didn’t have a problem skipping across the pond with her in August. What were you thinking?” Heather huffed from her place beside him. 

“Oh hush, she invited and I accepted,” JC replied with a nonchalant shrug. 

“She also invited you to skydive and you accepted. What’s next? Jump with no parachute?” Karen playfully scolded him. 

“It’s all fun, mom,” JC rolled his eyes in reply. Earning himself a smack on the back of the head, he rubbed at the now tender spot. 

“Hey, I think it’s great that you’re being adventurous. Lord knows, you need to learn to not be so serious all the time,” Karen commented. 

“Be careful mom, don’t go encouraging him. Because that fool will rush in and fall for the poor girl,” Tyler teased. JC snapped his head in Tyler’s direction. 

“Would that be so bad, dude? I ain’t that bad, you know,” JC defended himself. 

“Calm down, bro. Tyler’s just messing with you. Any girl would be lucky to catch you,” Heather rubbed his arm in comfort. She sneaked a glare in Tyler’s direction, and he raised his arms in surrender. 

“Josh, honey, do you like Ana?” Karen curiously asked. She’d seen his reaction, and his actions were telltale of an attraction. 

“Of course, I like her mom. She’s such a great person – incredibly generous, loving, and talented. Tyler’s just being a jerk,” JC replied without looking up at any of his tablemates. Karen went to say something but was interrupted by the waitress returning with their meal. Conversation about Ana died on the spot and more general catching-up conversation ensued. 

#### 

“Come in, honey. It’s so good to see you. How was the drive?” Karen smiled and greeted Ana at the door later that afternoon. 

“The drive was perfect, thank you for asking. It’s so good to see you too,” Ana replied as she stepped through the door and held tightly to Tajo’s leash. Once Karen had shut the door, the two women embraced. 

“You always look beautiful, dear. I don’t know how you do it,” Karen gushed as she pulled away. 

“She’s just beautiful like that, mom,” JC’s voice startled the two from upstairs. Grinning down at them, JC stood at the landing upstairs. Yanking at his leash, Tajo managed to get loose and run upstairs. 

“Tajo!” Ana exclaimed attempting to grab him but he was too quick. 

“It’s ok. Hey there buddy. Aren’t you just a handsome one?” JC cooed as the Lab came to a stop at his feet. Kneeling down, JC scratched between his ears and Tajo happily laid down in response. Ana watched from downstairs as Tajo practically surrendered to the mercy of JC’s caresses. Normally, Tajo didn’t take too well when meeting new men. She guessed JC was the exception – of course he was. 

“Let me show you to your room, and I’ll get Tyler to get your bags,” Karen interrupted her thoughts and pulled her along to a downstairs bedroom. 

“Oh, it’s fine. I can get them myself,” Ana chuckled softly before glancing one last time up at JC. She was met with a blown kiss and a wink. 

“So, are you going to Johnny’s party tonight, dear?” Karen asked as she fixed Ana a snack. Ana had asked for permission to raid the kitchen, and Karen had insisted that she fix her a snack. Knowing from experience that Karen could be very stubborn, Ana chose not to fight her.

“I’m not sure, Karen. I just left Jive a couple months ago, and I just think it’d be weird,” Ana sighed from her place at the counter, where she was cutting up some fruit. 

“I thought Josh told me that you’d parted on good terms,” Karen looked back from the stove. 

“Well, yeah, we did. I fulfilled the contract and everything, but I just feel weird,” Ana shrugged her shoulders. 

“Only artists will be there. No big suits,” JC’s voice interrupted them as he walked up behind Ana. Wrapping an arm around her front, he pulled her back to him and dropped a kiss on the top of her head. 

“Well, there you go, it’s settled. Would you like a quesadilla, Josh?” Karen concluded. JC agreed and took a seat next to Ana. 

“It’s formal, right?” Ana turned her head to look at JC. He was taking a sip of her lemonade so he just nodded.

“Is tomorrow formal?” 

“Not really. We dress up, but it’s not like suit, tie, and ball gowns,” JC replied.

“Why?” 

“Well, I only brought one decently formal dress,” Ana replied before offering him some of her diced fruit. He simply opened his mouth and waited for her to feed him. Her eyes quickly darted to Karen, who’s back was to them. Grabbing a piece of honeydew, she quickly put it to his lips. His tongue flicked out to take the fruit, and grazed her forefinger in the process. 

“Evil,” Ana mouthed with narrowed eyes. JC smiled brightly in reply. 

“I’m sure Heather has something you can borrow, if you need to. What size do you wear?” 

“Are we the same size? I’m anywhere from a size 2 to a size 6. It all depends on the clothes,” Ana replied. 

“Well, if that’s the case, then I think she should have something you can fit,” Karen answered as she turned around with two plates in her hands. Placing a plate in front of each of them, she announced she was going to talk to Heather about clothes. 

“You’re such a tease,” Ana whispered as she began to cut up her quesadilla. 

“Why is that?” JC chuckled softly sneaking a sideways glance at Ana. 

“Because you know how much I like kissing you,” she replied before taking a bite of her food. Leaning over, he pecked her lips quickly. 

“I’m sorry, but I can’t help myself. You know, we could just not care who finds out,” JC replied taking a bite of his food. 

“Is that a good move?” Ana asked. Several times they had discussed this matter, and each time they came to the conclusion that it’d be best to keep it quiet. 

“I don’t see why not. We could just keep it to ourselves. Fans don’t have to know,” he replied. They were quietly discussing this like it was a top secret mission. 

“Would we just make a big announcement?” she questioned pulling her legs up on the stool. 

“Nah, just don’t hide,” he shrugged before reaching a hand out to move back a stray chunk of hair away from her face. Ana looked at him in silence as she contemplated. 

“Alright then,” Ana smiled brightly before leaning over to give him a peck. 

“Now, finish up so we can take the dogs for a walk down to the park,” JC ordered as he stuffed the last piece of food into his mouth. Ana glared at him before placing another piece in her mouth. He knew how much she hated to be rushed when eating. She always had a healthy appetite but she was a slow eater, and he literally inhaled his food. Wrapping up her remaining quesadilla in a napkin, Ana followed JC outside to get their dogs. 

#### 

“Ok, seriously, Heather. I’m gonna pass out in this,” Ana whined as she held her hands at her breasts. Heather was about the same size as Ana, but Ana had hips. Hips that weren’t usually well-catered to in fashion. 

“Stop the dramatics girl. You look beautiful,” Heather chastised Ana as she zipped the sapphire colored sheath dress. Sucking it in as much as she could, Ana felt Heather slide the zipper all the way and clip the hook at the top. Turning to face the mirror, Ana smoothed her hands over the knee-length dress with ruffled rosettes edging the one-shoulder neckline. It had ruching all over. 

“I think your black pumps will work perfect with this,” Heather commented as she walked over to Ana, and motioned for her to zip up her own black party dress. 

“Alright, you want to borrow my red ones?” Ana questioned as she zipped up the dress and the girls stood looking at the mirror together. 

“Hell yeah. Damn, we’re some hot bitches!” Heather exclaimed with a chuckle. Ana handed her the red pumps from her bag and slipped on her own black pumps. 

“Damn, I’m rocking Valentino heels!” Heather exclaimed as she read the label of the shoes. They were beautiful four-inch satin peep-toe heels. 

“They look perfect on you. Merry Christmas,” Ana smiled and Heather understood. She was wearing her Christmas gift. 

“What?!?! Oh my god! Thank you! Ma!” Heather exclaimed before running out the bedroom. 

“What’s her problem? And where did she get those heels?” JC asked walking into the room. Turning to finally face her, he stopped in his tracks. “Wow.” 

“Does it look bad?” Ana questioned. His gaze was intense, and she began to feel a bit uncomfortable. 

“No, not at all. You look stunning,” JC said softly as he walked further into the room. Reaching her, he grabbed her hand and twirled her. Ana blushed slightly and ducked her head. 

“Thank you. You look very handsome yourself,” Ana commented as she fixed his collar. He was in head-to-toe black – black slacks and black button-up shirt. 

“I tried. I was gonna have this amazingly beautiful girl on my arm, and I could not let her down,” he smirked before leaning down and lightly kissing her lips. Grabbing her black clutch from the dresser top, she followed him out to the living room, where they assumed Heather and Tyler were waiting for them. After saying goodbye to the parents, they all piled into Ana’s quicksilver suburban with JC driving towards the WEG compound. 

“Whoo! Hot Mama! Let’s dance!” Justin exclaimed when JC, Ana, Heather, and Tyler approached the table. He grabbed Ana’s hand and handed JC her clutch before pulling her off to the dance floor; he threw a quick wave to the rest. 

“Yes! Let’s dance!” Chris came up and grabbed Heather’s hand pulling her off in the direction Justin and Ana had headed. JC and Tyler just looked at each other and then down at the purses in their hands. 

“What the hell?” Tyler mumbled as they sat down at the table and joined Lance, Joey, Kelly and Meredith (Lance’s date). 

“Where are your dates, boys?” a noticeably pregnant Kelly asked from her place besides Joey. 

“Justin and Chris stole them,” JC replied nonchalantly. He turned his gaze towards the floor and he spotted Ana laughing along with Justin. Nelly’s “Country Grammar” had come on, and they were rapping along with it. 

“From St. Louis to MEMPHIS/From Texas back up to Indiana, Chi-Town/K.C. Motown to Alabama/L-A, New York Yankee niggaz to HOTLANTA/'ouisiana, all my niggaz wit "Country Grammar"/Smokin blunts in Savannah/Blow thirty mill' like I'm Hammer!” Justin and Ana rapped, highlighting their cities. 

I'm goin down down baby, yo' street in a Range Rover (c'mon)
Street sweeper baby, cocked ready to let it go (HOT SHIT!)
Shimmy shimmy cocoa what? Listen to it pound
Light it up and take a puff, pass it to me now

I'm goin down down baby, yo' street in a Range Rover
Street sweeper baby, cocked ready to let it go
Shimmy shimmy cocoa what? Listen to it pound
Light it up and take a puff, pass it to me now
 

They danced and rapped along to the rest of the song, getting joined by Chris and Heather. Together, the four were mayhem. As songs switched, old dance moves were introduced once again. How Ana and Heather had managed to do the running man and the cabbage patch in four-inch heels was a mystery to them. 

“Can we get some food now? I’m starving,” Chris complained as another song came on. They all agreed and headed back to the table to join everyone else. Sitting down next to JC, Ana grabbed his glass of water and took a sip. 

“Having fun?” he asked placing a hand on her knee. She nodded and smiled. 

“Yeah, I’m hungry though. Have you ate? I’m gonna hit up the buffet,” she said before standing up. He stood and followed her to the buffet. After fixing their plates, they headed back to the table. 

“Enjoyed your dance with Justin?” JC leaned over to talk softly to her. The entire table of 12 were all into side conversations. 

“Boy has definitely some moves,” Ana grinned as she dug into her chicken. 

“Eh, he’s alright,” JC kidded with a shrug. Ana chuckled lightly before placing her hand on his thigh beneath the table. 

“I’m sure you have better moves, baby,” she leaned in really close and turning her head slightly her lips brushed lightly against his ear. 

“Tease,” JC gritted past his teeth. Smirking, Ana looked around the table before replying. 

“Coward,” her hand slipped up higher on his leg. JC’s body tensed up as he awaited her next move.  Her hand never moved – frozen in place near the top of his thigh. 

“Want to dance?” JC whispered as ate the last of his meal. Ana nodded her reply and took his offered hand to stand. Following him to the dance floor, he swung her gently into his arms. 

“You’re a very smooth dancer, Mr. Chasez,” Ana spoke softly as she wrapped her arm around his neck. 

“You’re not so bad yourself, Anita,” JC’s voice had dropped several octaves, and it sent chills down Ana’s spine. Ana didn’t recognize the song playing, but it was obvious JC knew the song when he began to sing softly along with it. 

Tell me what kinda man, would treat his woman so cold
Treat you like your nothing, when your worth more than gold
Girl to me your like a diamond, I love the way you shine
A Hundred Million dollar treasure, I'd give the world to make you mine

“I love when you sing to me,” Ana spoke softly with her mouth directly beside JC’s ear. 

“Not as much as I love it when you sing to me, Ms. Mora,” he teased before pulling her in closer. They held each other so close they could feel each other breathe. Readjusting her arm, Ana held him closer to her. Lifting her eyes to scan the crowd around her, she noticed that the guys were all at the table looking right at them. She quickly pulled away enough to be face to face with JC. She went to say something but the look on his face silenced her. His gaze was intently focused on her lips as he continued to softly sing.

I'll put a string of pearls right in your hand
Make love on a beach of jet black sand
Outside in the rain, we can do it all night
I'll touch all the places he would not
And some you never knew would get you hot
Nothing is forbidden, when we touch

“The guys are looking at us,” she commented softly. Her manicured fingernails were gently caressing the back of his head. 

“Oh yeah, what are they looking at?” JC questioned with a raised eyebrow. 

“I’m not too sure. Us dancing, I guess,” Ana replied with a shrug. JC nodded his head in understanding before flickering his eyes to her lips. Quickly licking his own lips, JC swallowed her protest with his kiss.

Baby, I wanna do
All of, the things your man wont do (i'll do them for you)
Baby, I wanna do
All of, the things your man wont do (i'll do them for you)

“Oh my god! Are they kissing?!?!” Chris exclaimed in a stage whisper that could rival all stage whispers. The four guys had been sitting at the table watching the two dance, and discussing how close they seemed lately. 

“They aren’t kissing! They’re eating each other!” Joey exclaimed. Lance slapped him upside the head before returning his attention to the couple in the middle of the dance floor, who seemed to have forgotten a world existed around them.

I'll take you out on a night cruise, on a Yacht......just cant lose
Cause we got alot to look forward to...1,2 whatchu gonna do ?
What good is a Diamond, nobody can see?
I hear he got you on lockdown, but I got the master key
 

“You weren’t kidding when you said we shouldn’t hide, huh?” Ana gasped as she finally pulled away, desperately seeking oxygen. JC smiled mischievously before shaking his head. Still smiling with a look in his eyes that Ana could not identify, he began to sing to her once again. Not thinking it possible, JC managed to pull her closer to him.

I'll light up all the candles all around
Show me to the subway I'll go down
Nothing can be sweeter, than the sound of making love
Baby when I start I just cant stop
I'll love you from the bottom to the top
Nothing is forbidden, when we touch

“What am I feeling, Josh?” she timidly questioned. She could feel something hard against her belly through the thin material of her dress. 

“That’s what you do to me, mama,” he sighed into her ear. The hand wrapped around her waist dropped slightly to come to rest at the top of the curve her bottom created. His head dipped to the curve between her shoulder and neck. Gently, he nipped at her throat all the while continuing to softly sing along.

Baby, I wanna do
All of, the things your man wont do (i'll do them for you)
Baby, I wanna do
All of, the things your man wont do (i'll do them for you)

Her breathing picked up significantly. She’d been denying the things that JC caused her body to feel. She knew she felt something for him in her heart, but she didn’t know if it was love. He was an undeniably sensual and sexual person, and he wasn’t overbearing. He never pushed the topic of sex with her. At this very moment, she did not want to hide from any of the delicious tingles coursing through her veins. She felt a heat rise to her cheeks and a hitch in her heart beat.

I'll light up all the candles all around
Show me to the subway i'll go down
Nothing can be sweeter, than the sound of making love
Baby when I start I just cant stop
I'll love you from the bottom to the top
Nothing is forbidden, when we touch

“Is he touching her ass? Wait, they’re kissing again! He’s touching her!” Lance exclaimed as they all sat dumbfounded at the table. All wanting to rush to JC and Ana and demand answers, but shock rendered their bodies motionless. They all sat there watching, speechless. No one noticed the clenching and unclenching of a pair of fists underneath the table.

Baby, I wanna do
All of, the things your man wont do (i'll do them for you)
Baby, I wanna do
All of, the things your man wont do (i'll do them for you)

“Want to get out of here?” Ana whispered in his ear before lightly tugging at his earlobe. The chills that ran down his spine were indescribable. Not trusting his own voice, JC nodded his head before pulling her lips to his own.

Ooo, I got a Jones in my bones for you
There aint a damn thing that I wont do
I'll make your body cream with my sex machine
I wont stop until i hear your mother scream

“Damn, we have to go. Stay in front of me, mama,” JC groaned and turned to leave the dance floor. Looking around, he could see questioning expressions on many people’s face that had witnessed their make out session. Ana held onto his hand, and pulled him through the crowd and out the door. 

“Where did they go? What the hell?” Lance snapped out of his trance first. Tyler, Heather, Kelly, and Johnny all came running up to the guys (well Kelly moreso waddled). 

“Were JC and Ana kissing?” all four exclaimed simultaneously. The four guys looked at each other then back at the flabbergasted quartet and nodded. 

“When the hell did that happen?” Johnny demanded. 

“We don’t know what’s going on either,” Chris replied. The four plopped down in seats at the table and everyone sighed. Looking around to each other, they all tried to figure out how they had missed this. 

“Shit is gonna hit the fan,” Johnny sighed. 

“That lucky son of a bitch,” Joey grumbled softly causing Kelly to reach other and slap him upside the head.

End Notes:
Please Review! Review! Review!
Chapter 13: Waiting for a Spark... by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
#Schizoday , musicmel , and AmberW are such inspirations! Thank you girls! Originally this was gonna be a 1 part chapter, but it ended up going into 2 parts. So, I'll update the 2nd part later. Enjoy....

“Seriously, how long has this being going on?” Joey asked as the five guys sat on the floor of the rehearsal space at the WEG compound. 

“Since London,” JC replied as he stretched out. It was a couple of days since the WEG party and the guys had been dying to get the details on JC and Ana. 

“Why the secrecy?” Justin grumbled from his spot up against the mirrors. 

“Just want to try it out. Didn’t want to feed the rumors,” he replied. 

“You better treat her right, Jace,” Chris warned. JC lifted his eyes, and the look on his face was serious. 

“Do you think I wouldn't?” he questioned. 

“No, but you’re older, she’s young Jace,” he replied. 

“She’s not a kid, Chris,” Lance spoke up. 

“I know that. Trust me, we all know that she’s not a kid. She sure as hell doesn’t look like a kid. But, she’s still like another sister to me and I gotta look out for her,” Chris firmly stated. 

“I’m not going to hurt her, Chris,” JC looked him in the eye. 

“Its gonna be hard, C. You see how Brit & I barely see each other, and we’re in the same damn country. How are you gonna make time to see her? She’ll be in a different country almost all year,” Justin asked. 

“We’ll make it work. Our schedule for the next couple of months isn’t too bad. I’ll just rack up serious air miles,” JC curtly replied. He was beginning to not appreciate the cold-shoulder attitude from Justin. Couldn’t they just be happy? 

####

January 14, 2001

Rio de Janiero, Brazil 

“Josh!” Ana’s voice rang from across the airport terminal. She’d caught sight of his brown hair from afar and she couldn’t contain her excitement. Seeing him turn around, she verified his identity before rushing towards him. Reaching him, she wrapped her arms around his neck and breathed his scent in deeply. 

“I’ve missed you too, mama,” JC spoke softly as he held her against him. One hand smoothed back her curls while the other soothed her back. He felt her sniffle against his neck and he pulled her away. 

“What’s wrong? I’m here now,” he asked quietly noticing her tearful eyes. 

“I’m just so glad to see you guys. I miss familiar faces,” Ana sniffled before quickly pecking his lips. She stepped away from his embrace and walked around him to greet the other guys as they too stepped into the terminal. 

“Anita! Chica! Give us a hug,” Joey’s boisterous voice brought a smile to her face. She giggled as he swung her around before setting her back on her feet.  

“What the hell? I left you guys for 2 weeks and you come back like this!” Ana exclaimed as she pointed to Joey’s blonde hair, Chris’s dreads, and Jace’s highlights. One by one, she greeted each of the guys and their security team before following them to baggage claim. 

“Gotta bring the hotness to the Brazilians,” Chris puffed out his chest and Ana smacked it playfully. 

“How long are you here for?” Justin asked as he slung an arm around her shoulders as she walked beside JC. 

“Oh, I’ll be here for 2 weeks. Then, I forget where I head off to. I think its back to Spain, but I can’t keep track,” Ana shrugged as she held onto his hand that hung over her shoulder. 

“You taking it easy, right? We don’t want to hear you’re up in some hospital because you’re not eating or sleeping,” he questioned. Stooping down to meet her eyes, he raised his eyebrow in a challenge. 

“Yes, I’m taking it easy. I’m good, J,” she smiled brightly up at him in an effort to appease his concerns. He called her every other day to check in on her, and she appreciated that so much. It was nice to know there were people looking out for her. 

“Ready for the show?” Chris turned his head back towards her to ask his question. 

“I’m so ready for the show. It’s crazy. I had dinner with Sheryl Crow 2 nights ago, and she invited me to join her at this show that Sting was doing at a small club. Oh my god, best night of my life,” Ana exclaimed excitedly. They were all standing by baggage claim waiting to get their bags, and Ana was literally bouncing in her spot. 

“Is he not the most chill person?” JC asked as he pulled a suitcase off the conveyor belt. 

“Dude, Sheryl and I sang with him. I was like wetting my pants on stage. But, yeah, we were even talking about you guys afterwards,” Ana grinned up at him. His eyes widened slightly before a bashful grin graced his face. It was no secret that Sting was his idol, along with artists like Prince and Richard Marx. 

“How’s the nightlife?” Joey’s mischievous eyes turned to her. Ana loved Joey’s sense of adventure. 

“It’s ready to wrecked, my friend,” she smirked. Joey’s let out a big ‘whoop’ and she chuckled. 

“You are my new partner in crime,” he declared. Soon they gathered their luggage, and under heavy security, they ventured out into the main airport. All six international superstars were greeted by a sea of photographers armed with cameras and video-cameras. Shouting from left and right drowned out any other noise. Microphones were pushed in their faces, hoping for a reply to any question. Ana kept her head tucked low under her baseball cap, and she walked steadily between Joey and JC. She saw Joey’s hand reached back for hers, and she grasped it before reaching her other hand back to grab onto JC. 

“Move out of the way! Please make room!” members from their 10-person security team shouted to the crowd. Finally pushing their way out of the airport, they were split up into awaiting vehicles and driven off. 

“Give me sugey,” Ana ordered from her spot next to JC in the car. He turned his head and smiled before softly kissing her. Pulling back, she sighed and cuddled up against his size. 

“Tired?” he questioned wrapping an arm around her shoulders and holding onto hand. 

“Content,” she replied giving his hand a quick squeeze. He squeezed her closer to himself, and they rode in silence. Both Ana and *NSYNC, along with Britney would be performing in the Rock in Rio festival. Britney and *NSYNC were performing on the 18th, but Ana was the festival’s closer on both the 20th and 21st. 

Arriving at the hotel, they were all ushered in as quickly as possible through the hounding photographers. Everyone rode up to the 14th floor and waited for their room keys to be issued. 

“And here’s your key Justin, remember guys, you leave in an hour for an interview,” Johnny announced as he handed the last key in his hand to Justin. They all began to disperse until Ana’s voice stopped everyone. 

“Johnny, where’s my key?” 

“I gave you a key,” he explained. Ana looked down at her empty hands and shook her head. 

“I don’t think so,” she replied. Looking around to the guys, they all shrugged. 

“Oh shit, let me go back downstairs then,” Johnny sighed and walked back towards the elevators. JC pulled Ana along with him, so she could wait for her key in his room. Walking in, she threw herself back on the bed and closed her eyes. 

“You going to sleep, baby?” JC quietly questioned as he leaned over her, resting his weight on both his hands. 

“Not with you smelling that good,” she smirked but kept her eyes shut. JC chuckled before leaning his head down to kiss her softly. It had meant to be a simple and quick kiss, but with them, they never were. 

“You sure can be addicting,” he mumbled against her lips causing her to laugh slightly. 

“Yes, and what a sweet addiction it is,” Ana groaned before wrapping her arm around his neck and bringing his body down atop her. JC kept his hands on either side of her head, but rested his body on hers. 

“You and I sure do make out a lot,” he said as he moved his kisses down to her bare shoulders. Only the straps of her tank top covered her shoulders. 

“Are you complaining?” she challenged. 

“Not at all. Its too much fun to complain about it,” he joked as he nipped her collarbone. 

“Can I ask you something?” the seriousness in her voice caused him to cease his attack on her shoulder. 

“Yeah, of course,” he replied pulling his head up to look at her. Suddenly, she couldn’t meet his eyes and this worried him. He waited patiently for her to speak, but she remained quiet. Nudging the side of her face with the tip of his nose, he smiled softly at her when her eyes rose to meet his. She smiled softly, comforted by his own smile. 

“How would you feel if I were to tell you that I’ve been thinking a lot about going to the next level with you?” she spoke in a whisper. It was almost as if someone had sucked all the air from JC’s lungs as he lightly gasped. 

“Are you talking about making love?” he whispered after a moment of silence. She bit her lip in worry and nodded her head. 

“Yeah, making love with you.” 

“How long have you been thinking about this?” he asked. He was tempted to move off of her in order to talk, but he feared that she would close off if he put distance between them. 

“A couple of weeks now. Josh, I was with him for nearly three years and I never considered going there with him. We’ve been together nearly half a year, and it’s constantly on my mind. It doesn’t help that you’re so damn sexy,” she smiled slightly in an attempt to lighten the situation. 

“Oh hush, you’re the sexy one,” JC mumbled as a slight blush rose to his cheeks. He ducked his head to head on her chest as he thought. 

“I don’t want to do this if you don’t want to,” Ana whispered. She looked down at the top of JC’s newly highlighted hair, and bit her lip. 

“Anita, mama, you know I want to. You know that I’ve wanted to that for a while now, but this would be your first time. It’s a huge thing,” he replied without raising his head. 

“But, I trust you. I know you’ll take care of me,” she spoke up, running a hand through his hair. He was letting it grow out, and she loved how it was beginning to curl on the end. 

“Thank you for trusting me, that means a lot to me. Please don’t think that I don’t want to. But, I don’t want your first time to be in the heat of the moment and rushed,” JC lifted his eyes to meet hers. She could read his sincerity in his eyes, and she nodded in understanding. He kissed her gently before being interrupted by a knock on the door. Pecking her lips one last time, he lifted himself off of her and headed to open the door. 

“Hey Jace, is Ana here with you?” Johnny asked once the door opened. JC nodded and opened the door further to invite Johnny in. 

“Hey Johnny, what’s up?” Ana asked as she sat on the edge of JC’s bed. 

“Bad news, we were overbooked. The hotel doesn’t have a free room for you, so I need to find another hotel in town,” Johnny sighed, rubbing his hand over his face in frustration. Ana’s eyes darted over to JC before looking down at her hands; they’d been looking forward to being in the same hotel. 

“She could always stay with me, Johnny,” he commented from his stance against the wall. Both Johnny and Ana’s eyes slammed into his at his comment. He shrugged lightly before speaking again.

“I’d feel better knowing she’s here where security already knows how to handle crowds. Every other hotel hasn’t been planning to lodge artists from all around the world.” 

“You have a good point, Jace. Ana, what do you think?” Johnny questioned her. Ana’s eyes darted from Johnny to JC – back and forth. Honestly, this was a great opportunity considering the conversation she’d been having with JC earlier. But, what would happen if she chickened out? She’d be stuck shamefully with him in the same room. Ah, hell. 

“It’s fine with me Johnny. I agree with Jace, I’d feel safer here,” she replied after swallowing thickly. Johnny nodded his head before turning on his heel. 

“I’ll get them to send your bags up here, then. Remember, you got interviews tomorrow morning before rehearsal in the afternoon,” Johnny spoke as he walked out the door. 

“Roomies?” Ana raised a questioning eyebrow at JC as the door closed. 

“Weren’t you being serious about going to the next level?” JC countered her question with his own question. 

“Very serious,” she replied with a nod. 

“Well, this is just more convenient than having to explain why you aren’t staying in your room,” JC replied with a slight smirk before turning into the bathroom. Ana’s jaw slacked open and she sat there stunned. Suddenly, her hands felt clammy and her stomach quivered. 

“What’s wrong?” JC asked as he walked out to see Ana standing by the large sliding glass doors overlooking the city and fanning herself. 

“Your conceited ass has been sweating bullets,” she admitted with a sideways glare. JC chuckled as he walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist. 

“I’m not conceited, Anita. I’m confident,” he whispered against her ear, and she shivered as his warm breath hit her ear. Taking advantage of her ponytail, he placed soft kisses along the side of her neck before sweeping his lips, and occasionally his tongue, across the back of her neck. 

“Josh…” she moaned softly. His hands had slipped beneath her tank top, and they were caressing her flat stomach. Moving his hands to her sides, he gripped her hips and pulled her back into him. She could feel his excitement against her behind, and instinctively, she pushed back against him more. 

“You’re gonna be such a natural, baby. You don’t realize how sexual you already are,” he growled slightly as he nipped her shoulder. 

“I don’t want to do something wrong,” she reached an arm back and wrapped it around his neck. In a flash, JC turned her in his arms and held her tight. Startled, Ana’s eyes snapped open. 

“There is no wrong or right. There’s only what feels good and what feels better. You have to cease thinking about it, and just let go. Understand?” JC sternly spoke in an even tone. Fearing her voice might crack, Ana nodded and bit back a moan as JC’s lips slammed against her own. 

Pushing her against the glass door, JC hands flew to her hips and bare thighs. Because of the weather, she was wearing a rather short pair of white shorts. Hitching one of her legs onto his hips, he pushed up against her. Now, she could feel him pushing intimately against her. 

“Whoa…” she breathed at the sensations. 

“It might hurt you a bit, baby,” he breathed, resting his forehead against her own. 

“I’m not afraid of pain, Jace. Can I tell you something?” she questioned, waiting for his approval. At his nod, she spoke again.

“I’ve never seen a man before.” 

“Lucky me, I won’t disappoint then,” JC kidded as he brushed his lips against hers. 

“I don’t think you could,” Ana growled slightly as she raked her nails along his abs. He shuddered slightly before taking a calming deep breath. Taking a moment to refocus, JC let her leg gently slide back to the floor and stepped away from her. At that very moment, someone passed by knocking on the door and announcing he had five minutes. 

“Tonight, ok?” he asked quietly pulling her close. She nodded and kissed him before watching him walk around the room collecting his wallet and changing his shirt. He walked over and kissed her before heading out the door. 

#### 

“Priceless!” Joey exclaimed as he burst through JC’s hotel room a few hours later. Both Ana and Britney looked up from their place on the couch in the sitting area, and simply cocked an eyebrow at them. The rest of the guys followed Joey in laughing and joking. 

“Hey baby,” JC sheepishly said before leaning down to kiss her forehead. 

“What’s going on?” Ana questioned, triggering laughter from the rest of the group. JC shook his head attempting to shrug off the question. 

“Oh no, Jace! She has to know!” Chris exclaimed from his place on the bed. Ana muted the television and turned in her seat to face all the guys. 

“We just got back from doing a television show, right? Its like literally on the beach, so everyone is in bikinis. By the way, we made Lance dance with them. But, whatever, so they ask us if we’ve found any Brazilian girlfriends. Then, they point out that Justin brought his girlfriend. Blah blah bah. This is where it gets HOT!” Joey explained. Justin jumped in and finished out the story. 

“Turns out, here in Brazil, I’m not the heartthrob. Jace, my man, makes all these Brazilian ladies weak in the knees! AND, you, my dear, are Brazil’s sweetheart,” Justin says pointing a finger at Ana. Ana looks at Britney surprised. 

“Better you than me,” Britney giggled. Ana mockingly glared at her before turning back to Justin. 

“Oh no, that’s not the priceless part. So, we all laughed because obviously we know that that’s just perfect. Brazil’s golden couple is actually a couple and no one knows. So, Chris, here, goes ‘well, you know Ana’s here, they should get together for Brazil.’ Turns out the host is like ‘perfect, because’. Ana, my dear, you and Jace have been named Rock in Rio North American ambassadors by organizer, Mr. Medina,” Justin chuckled some more. The confusion on Ana’s face was clearly humorous. 

“North American Ambassadors, what the hell does that mean?” she questioned looking at JC, who would not meet her eyes. 

“It means we get to do interviews and photo shoots, and we get to visit some of the institutions that benefit from the festival representing the US,” JC spoke up. 

“Oh, well, that’s not bad, right?” Ana sighed in relief. 

“Well, no, it’s not. But, you guys also have to record a song that will join the compilation album for proceeds,” Lance added. 

“Oh, well, that’s not too bad. I mean, it could’ve been worse. I thought you were going to tell me that we’d been found out,” Ana jokingly said with a slight chuckle. When no one, but Britney, joined in her laughter, Ana hushed. 

“Oh shit, really? How bad?” she questioned quietly. 

“They just have pictures from the airport of you two hugging. But, Johnny’s playing it off like you hugged us all. But, the Brazilians aren’t gonna buy it too easily,” Lance replied. 

“They’re gonna be like bloodhounds,” Britney lamented, and Ana solemnly nodded her head. 

“Ah, don’t worry Tiger, you guys will have an excuse to be together more. Now, quit the moping, I’m hitting that kickass gym downstairs. Anyone interested?” Justin suggested trying to change the topic. Agreeing, Ana and Britney, Lance and Joey decided to join him. Everyone left, leaving JC and Ana alone. 

“You alright?” he asked stepping up beside her as she dug through her suitcase. 

“Yeah, just a little worried. I don’t care if they know, but I just wanted to keep you to myself a bit longer,” Ana replied with a sad shrug. 

“I agree. Let’s just see where this goes. If we can’t deny it, then we won’t,” JC said. He was rarely in the tabloids, and he wasn’t all that fond of lying. But, this was different. Ana was different. 

“Alright,” Ana agreed and turned to peck him lightly on the lips. 

“I think all the Ambassadors are having dinner tomorrow night, but I’m not sure. Mr. Medina is talking with Johnny,” JC explained as he sat up against the headboard and watched Ana begin to undress. She acknowledged him with a nod. 

“I don’t think you’ve ever dressed or undressed in front of me,” he said softly as he watched her shimmy out of her shorts and pull on a pair of yoga pants. She turned to look at him, and shrugged. Turning her back to him, she pulled off her tank top and unsnapped her bra. She heard him take in a sharp breath, and smiled to herself. Pulling over a sports bra, she turned back to him. 

“You’re such a tease,” he groaned as he put an arm over her eyes. There was a pained expression on his face, and Ana felt bad. Crawling up from the foot of the bed, Ana settled on his legs. 

“I won’t make you wait much longer, I promise. We’re going out to dinner tonight, right?” Ana asked softly as she placed feather-like kisses along his jaw. JC nodded in response and his hands reached for her hips. 

“Then we’re coming back to the room?” Ana questioned once more. He nodded, again. 

“I’ll be waiting. I’ll be back later,” Ana leaned up to whisper in her ear before kissing the spot below it. He shivered slightly, and patted her thigh in reply. He cracked open an eye to watch her bend over to tie her sneakers before watching her walk out the room. Taking a deep breath, he willed his hormones to calm down. 

“Gotta take it easy boy,” he mumbled before adjusting himself on the bed, ready to take a nap. 

#### 

“Normally, how many do you do of these?” Ana questioned in between breaths as she laid next to Britney doing toe-reaches. 

“500, Justin thinks I’m crazy,” Britney replied smirking in Justin’s direction as he ran on the treadmill. 

“You are crazy,” he huffed. 

“No, she’s not. 500 is a good number,” Ana argued as they reached 350. They were doing them in sets of 50. She’d come to discover that Britney was equally as neurotic as herself when it came to fitness. 

“You two are just demented,” Justin breathed out. Ana and Britney simply chuckled and continued their next set of 50. 

“We couldn’t wear our costumes if we didn’t tone up, Justin,” Ana taunted him. 

“Good, maybe then, you’d cover up some,” Justin kidded. 

“Oh lord, hush, J. You know damn well that you enjoy our costumes,” Britney laughed. 

“Guilty,” he smirked. 

“Good, because Rio’s costumes will blow your socks,” Ana smirked, and Britney laughed. She’d shown Britney some of the costumes for the show earlier, and Britney understood what she meant. There wasn’t much to her costumes. 

“Lord, Ana, you’re gonna kill us. We already have to fight those beasts off Brit, you too?” Joey’s voice boomed within the gym. All three’s head turned in the direction of the voice, and smiled at Joey. 

“You can be my hero, Joe,” Ana smirked and Joey laughed. 

“Johnny wanted me to come down here, and tell you guys that we need to be ready to head out to dinner in an hour,” Joey explained as he watched Justin slow his run to a job. Ana and Britney stood up from their position on the floor doing crunches and nodded in understanding. 

“That’s cool. I think we’re ready to go anyways,” Justin breathed heavily as he turned off the treadmill and reached for his towel and water bottle. Together, all four headed out and back upstairs. 

“I don’t know how we do it, but damn, we are some lucky son of a bitches,” Joey mumbled to Justin as they walked behind the girls. Justin questioningly looked at him. Joey pointed at the girls and whistled. 

“Need I say more,” he said. Together, they watched both girls, clad in yoga pants and sports bras, walk in front of them. 

“Not at all,” Justin smiled as he checked Britney out from behind. 

“You and Jace are blessed, my man,” Joey slapped Justin’s back. 

“Nah, I don’t think Jace enjoys his girl as much as I do,” Justin smirked. 

“Ha, you’re kidding me. If they haven’t already, then I wouldn’t count on that for much longer. Mark my words, those two are like 2 propane tanks just waiting for a spark,” Joey whistled lowly as they reached his room. 

“Whatever” Justin mumbled as he kept walking.

End Notes:
**I don't know if there are any Rio Ambassadors and I don't know if they release a compilation album, but go with me here. Review! Review! Review!***
Chapter 14: Tonight's the Night by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
hold on tight ladies....whoo

“You guys sure you don’t want to hit the club?” Joey asked as they all piled out of the hotel’s restaurant that night. 

“Nah man, we’re good. We gotta get up earlier than you fools tomorrow,” JC replied. Johnny had informed them that their ‘ambassador duties’ began tomorrow morning. 

“That’s cool. Well, have a goodnight,” Joey said before waving goodbye with the rest of the group. Wrapping an arm around her waist, JC led Ana back into the lobby and to the elevators. 

Ana hesitated outside their room door. She felt silly for feeling this way, but these…virginal jitters were killing her. Dinner had been great until conversation had turned to planning the night. She found herself excusing herself and JC from a night out on the town. She’d seen the shock and expectation in his blue eyes ever since.

“What’s wrong?” JC came up behind her, whispering in her ear.His hot breath sent shivers down her spine, and she was reminded of her desire. His body heat and that natural woodsy scent of him made her knees turn into jell-o. She shook her head dismissing his question and stepped around him, unlocking the door.

Stay away from my window
Stay away from my back door too
Disconnect the telephone line
Relax baby and draw that blind

“Having second thoughts?” he asked against her neck as he stepped in behind her.

“Not at all,” Ana replied turning around to wrap her arms around his waist. “I’m a bit nervous, but I’m sure.”

He nuzzled her neck as his large hands roamed her body – hips to behind to back to hair. “Will you tell me to stop, Anita?” He placed soft, nibbling kisses on her flesh beneath her ear.

“Of course,” she breathlessly replied.

“We’ll go as slow as you need to go, Anita.”

“Make me stop thinking. Kiss me,” she commanded. JC smiled.

Lowering his mouth lowered to hers, he invited her tongue to come and join his. Finding something to occupy his hands, he began the task of taking out every pin that held her curls bunched into an updo. Her hair was silky and smooth, and he loved playing with it. Hoping he got every pin, her hair fell down her back like a blanket.

Ana wrapped her arms around his neck, pressing herself closer. She could never seemed to get close enough to satisfy her need. She felt his hands on her hips, pulling her lower body to him before grinding sensuously against her. A little moan escaped her.

Lifting his head, he asked. “You ok?”

“Never better.”

“Before we go any further, I want to tell you something. I don’t want to wait to say this later, and then you question it. Anita, mama, I love you. Time has been short with you, but I know this in my heart. I want tonight to be so good for you,” he spoke softly as his hands grasped her face, holding her firmly. His thumb caressed her lips as he spoke.

“Josh, I love you too. Dammit, I’ve been wanting to tell you that for a while now, but it’s not something you say for the first time over the phone, you know,” Ana smiled through the tears that quickly filled her eyes. He smiled brightly before pressing a kiss to her lips.

“I want you to stop me whenever you feel uncomfortable. Please, promise me you’ll stop me,” he begged softly. His plead tugged at Ana’s heart – he really cared. She knew then that he would care for her for all time.

“I promise,” her reply barely hear before his lips slammed back onto her own. Her knees nearly giving out when his mouth moved from her lips to her neck – her weakest spot.

“Josh, don’t let me fall,” she held firmly onto his biceps.

“Never,” he wrapped a firm arm around her small waist and held her tightly against him. With her hands trapped between their bodies, Ana ventured to unbutton his shirt. One by one, each button revealed more of his sculpted chest – with a sprinkling of hair across the top.

Managing to unbutton it completely, Ana pushed it off his shoulders and pulled back from his kiss to revel in the sight. Unwrapping his arms from around her, he shrugged off the shirt and watched her study him. Her trembling fingers reached out to his belt.

He grinned as he whipped the belt out the loops once she’d unbuckled it.

With a feather-like touch, she traced the contours of his chest, ribs and stomach. The sensations drew soft moans from deep within JC. She was caught up in the world of his body. She studied him, as if to memorizing him.

Caught up in watching her study him, JC’s trance was broken when the button on his pants gave way – quickly followed by the zipper.

“Whoa, Anita!” he chuckled slightly. “Slow it down, mama”

Kick off your shoes and sit right down
Loosen off that pretty French gown
Let me pour you a good long drink
Ooh baby don't you hesitate cause

Ana’s hands snapped away, afraid she’d done something wrong. He reached for them once more, and placed him on his hips. His own hands reached behind her to find the zipper to her dress.

“It’s on the side,” she explained softly as her lips found their way to his neck. He groaned softly before locating the zipper and tugging it down.

He followed the dress down to the ground, and helped Ana step out of it. On his way back up, he ran a hand from her ankle up to the outside of her breast. The hitch in her breathing brought a smile to his face.

“Sexy,” he remarked as he took notice of her polka dot white and black bra and panties set.

“Not much to see—“

“Hey, now, I think you’re perfect. There’s absolutely a lot to see,” He reached out and cupped her breasts softly. Pulling her towards the bed, JC pulled back the covers and motioned for her to climb up on the bed.

Tonights the night
It's gonna be alright
Cause I love you girl
Ain't nobody gonna stop us now

Shedding his pants and shoes, he kept his boxers on and climbed onto the bed. He wasn’t a bulky guy, in fact, he was very thin and small. And, she wasn’t a petite kind of girl. She had curves and height, but from her place beneath him, she seemed so small and delicate.

Ana bit her bottom lip, looking at him with wide, uncertain eyes. He was just looking at her, silently.

C'mon angel my hearts on fire
Don't deny your man's desire
You'd be a fool to stop this tide
Spread your wings and let me come inside

“I’m trying not to hurry, Anita. You deserve it slow and sweet your first time,” he mumbled against her neck as he began his assault. Slowly, he nibbled at her neck as he learned her body with his hands. Her sun-kissed skin glowed beneath the soft glow of the lamps. He was incredibly pale in comparison, but he didn’t care. He was in Brazil, and he was going to take advantage of the sun. But, later, not now.

Waking from her reverie, Ana ran her hands up his back, over his shoulders and down his chest to his abdomen. Beneath her fingertips, his muscles quivered. Her own breath would occasionally hitch at the sensations his lips were causing.

Slipping his hands beneath her, he reached her bra clasp. Arching off the bed for better access, JC watched her abs flex with the motion. He was absolutely appalled by her level of fitness.

“Anita, I can’t get over how beautiful you are. Your legs, so long and toned. Your stomach, so flat, soft, yet firm. Beautiful hips made for my grabbing,” JC kidded as he leaned back onto his knees and traced her body. “I’ll sound so cheesy, but you have a beautiful back. Muscles delicately sculpted, yet you’re so soft. You’re all woman, mama.”

“I can say the same thing about you, Josh. You’re all man, baby,“ Ana replied with a blush. She tugged at his boxers, and he arched an eyebrow at her.

“Will I never see?” she joked. Gaining some confidence, she tugged a bit harder.

“Anita, mama, I don’t want to scare you just yet,” JC groaned against her chest as he began placing soft kisses around the curve of her breasts.

“I’m no wimp…mmm,” she began to argue before a moan escaped her. JC took a nipple into his mouth and sucked on it lightly. His hand pinched and rolled her other nipple simultaneously.

“Oh!” She felt his tongue flicker around the nipple until it hardened. He then sucked tenderly, only increasing the pressure when her back arched up searching for more.

He had told her earlier that she was such a natural, but she was proving to him just how much of a natural she was. Her dance ability should’ve been a big indicator of her grace and sensuality.

Tonights the night
It's gonna be alright
Cause I love you girl
Ain't nobody gonna stop us now

“Thank you for letting me being the first,” he moved up to look into her eyes. It was a treasure that she would only give away once, and he felt an odd sense of humility.

“Thank me at the end,” Ana replied. The intensity she found in his eyes made her feel small, yet so special.

“I thank you now and forever,” JC whispered before taking hold of her lips once more. It was a soft, gentle kiss that slowly built up to a passionate and hungry kiss. Making love with their kisses is what they did.

He reached his hands down and gently pulled down her panties; Ana shimmied and lifted her hips slightly to help him along. Surprisingly, she didn’t feel an ounce of shyness. She assumed it was her years of dressing and undressing in front of strangers between costume changes.

“Gorgeous,” he muttered before leaning down to begin his assault on her lower body. Beginning at her ankles, he kissed, nibbled, and licked his way up her calves, her knees, and her thighs. Through half lidded eyes, Ana watched his lips’ assault.

As his mouth moved up her body, he trailed a hand along her inner thighs. “Open up for me, Anita,” came the soft command.

At this moment, the nerves kicked in. Butterfly fluttered in the pit of her stomach. Yet, Ana parted her legs. Like she’d told him before, she didn’t fear the pain or discomfort; she feared the possibility of disappointing JC.

JC sat back on his legs as he just drank in the sight of her. Naked and aroused on his bed. His own arousal seeking freedom from the confines of his shorts. She longed for him to shed them and joined her nudity. She wanted to feel him, but she was letting him lead her there.

Nimble and soft fingers teased her folds, causing them to blossom. “Good god, girl, you are so ready for me,” he moaned as he felt her wetness. Gently, he massaged her clit and worked his fingers into her – one, two, and finally three.

“Then, what are you waiting for?” Ana begged as her core quivered. His fingers worked in and out of her – preparing her. But, already, she was wet, tight, and ready.

“I want to do something, first. You trust me?” he questioned lifting his eyes to her. She swallowed nervously, and nodded. A gasp escaped her lungs as he flicked her clit, causing sparks to shoot to her core.

“Can you take your shorts off first?” she questioned. He paused slightly before agreeing. Slowly, he stood off the bed and pushed the boxer shorts off his slim hips.

Her eyes went wide and her mouth dropped; this was her first view of a naked man.

“You’ll never fit inside of me,” she whispered turning sad eyes upwards.

“It’ll be a tight fit. You’re really small, Anita,” he explained.

“I know that. Tampons hurt me,” she confessed. JC looked a bit surprised at her confession. He’d never heard of that.

“Anything else I need to know?” JC questioned as he stood in front of her, both unashamedly naked.

“I may bleeder a lot. I’m an easy bleeder. My doctor has always told me that I will be a heavy bleeder, if and when I have kids,” JC watched closely as the emotions flashed across her face. She was scared, and now she was ashamed.

“It’s ok, mama. We’ll take it really easy, ok?” he quickly overshadowed his desire to simply ravish her. Now, he wanted to make her feel so good, but take care of her. She was his little girl, he had to care for her.

“Anything else?”

“I’ve been birth control for 2 years now to regulate periods,” she confessed.

“We’ll still use condoms,” JC replied.

“Do we have to?” she was hopeful.

“Do you not want to?”

“I’d like to feel you completely,” she whispered as she rose to her knees and scooted to the edge of the bed. In wonder, she stared at him. He could read the curiosity in her eyes.

“You can touch it, mama,” he spoke softly. Lifting big innocent eyes, she smiled softly before reaching a timid finger out.  Base to tip, her finger caressed his erection. Drawing a groan from JC, she snatched her hand back, worried. He caught her wrist and held her close.

“That feels good,” he groaned with his eyes shut. Encouraged, she stroked, brushed, and caressed his shaft.  He recruited all the willpower he could managed to keep himself at ease; he didn’t want to lose his first load; not in her hand, at least.

“Is that supposed to happen?” Her question caused his eyes to open. He looked down and saw tiny droplets of cum oozing out the tip of his erection.

“Yeah, baby, that means I’m gonna lose it,” he frustratingly replied. He gripped her shoulder seeking support.

“Oh. Really?” she questioned.

“Yeah, dammit, really.” He closed his eyes in aggravation.

“Ana!” JC exclaimed as he felt her tongue on his shaft. Looking down, all he could see was the top of her head as she wrapped her lips around his tip. Her tongue around the tip before she ventured her mouth to take him in. Up and down, her tongue massaged him.  

“Oh, Anita, I’m gonna—“ He moaned trying to pulled her head away. He didn’t want to lose it. Dammit, he needed a minute to refocus. She slapped his hands away, and held them at his side. Her strength surprised him.

Bravely, her mouth sucked on.

He couldn’t help his moans anymore. “Oh, baby, yeah…” he felt her lips tug a couple of times, and he lost it.

“Did I do that right?” Ana asked as she straighten back up. JC leaned his forehead on her shoulder willing his body to settle down. His hands her close to him.

“Better than right. You didn’t have to do that,” he mumbled kissing her collarbone.

“Why are you still hard?”

“Baby, I’ve got a lot more left in me,” he chuckled softly. Laying her back onto the bed, JC climbed over her and resumed his assault on her from earlier. Slipping his hand back between her legs, he imitated what his dick would be doing to her with his finger. He managed to stretch her opening using two fingers before he slipped his lips south-bound.

“JC, I want you in me,” Ana held his head in place before he could move further south.

“Baby, I want to taste you,” he explained.

“Can we do that the next time? I really want you to fill me up, please,” she pleaded with big golden eyes. Taking a second to contemplate, he nodded and reached over to grab a condom from his pants.

“No condom, please,” she begged some more.

“Dammit, Ana, you’re making me throw all caution to the wind,” JC sighed as he gave in to another request.

“Thank you,” Ana tugged at his ear. Feeling confident in her readiness, JC nudged her legs further apart. He settled himself in between and at her entryway. Locking eyes, he pushed only the tip of his dick into her tightness. Giving her a moment to adjust, he pushed further. Finally, he could go no further; he’d reached proof of her virginity.

Don't say a word my virgin child
Just let your inhibitions run wild
The secret is about to unfold
Upstairs before the night's too old

“This is it, mama. Are you sure?” JC’s voice faltered a bit from both anticipation and caution.

“Please, Josh, make me yours,” Ana breathed into his ear and held onto him tightly.

Keeping his eyes on her face, he pushed through. Her face grimaced, and she bit her lip. He, himself, bit his lip as he continued to push forth. He could see the pain across her face, and he could feel it as her arms tightened around his back – nailing digging into his flesh.

“Anita, baby, talk to me, are you ok?” he questioned as he stopped his movements.

“Give me a second,” her voice soft and pleasing. He felt so big inside her, and she was stretched to the max. There was the feeling of pinching and discomfort, but it was slowly disappearing as her walls stretched to accommodate him.

“Did I hurt you badly?” he asked quietly nudging his nose against hers.

“No, baby, you’re just so big. I think I’m good. Move slowly,” she requested as her eyes opened. It tugged at his heart to see tears brimming in her eyes.

Testing the waters, he pulled out and slid back in. Her gasp made him freeze. She encouraged him to continue.

“It should feel better if you keep going, right?” she questioned and he nodded. Slowly, he rocked into her. He’d never experience something this tight and this hot; she was driving him crazy.

Tonights the night
It's gonna be alright
Cause I love you woman
Ain't nobody gonna stop us now

Finally, the discomfort began disappearing and an unknown sensation covered her. She reached for his lips, hungrily. “Faster, please” she begged.

Hesitating for a second, JC quickened his pace slightly. He didn’t want to have her sore the next morning. Although, he knew some soreness was inevitable.

Slowly, a tightness began to build up in each of their stomachs, and a layer of sweat began to cover their bodies.

“Jace, please, faster!” Ana encouraged further. He happily complied. Guiding her hips with his hands, she met his every thrust. It was burning passion that began to creep from her toes up to her head. She struggled to hold onto something, deciding to dig her fingernails into his back.

“Oh baby…you feel so good,” JC moaned as he gasped for a refreshing breath. Nothing could placate the burning in his lungs from the lack of oxygen. Their breathing was rapid and short.

Tonights the night
It's gonna be alright
Cause I love you woman
Ain't nobody gonna stop us now

“Oh, Josh, I don’t think I can stand it,” Ana’s strangled whimper cut through his heart. He gathered her closer to him as she arched into him and continued his hips’ assault.

“You can, baby girl, hold on to me.” He reached a hand back and wrapped a leg around his waist.

“Ah!” she screamed as the sensation of the new angle. Instinctively, she wrapped her other leg around him and he continued to thrusts.

“Uh, harder, faster,” she pleaded.

“You’ll be sore,” he warned looking into her eyes.

“You’ll be sorry if you don’t go faster.  I need you.”

JC chuckled slightly at her command before increasing the pounding of his hips into hers. He expected her to whimper in pain, but only moans and whimpers of pleasure filled the hotel room.

”I know it, baby, it’s never been this good.” His pace increased, and soon she began to quiver beneath him.

“That’s it, mama. Fly for me,” he urged.

“Please, Anita, I need you—“ he begged.

“Josh!” came the startled call from Ana as she was once again overcome with emotions alien to her.

Tonights the night
It's gonna be alright
Cause I love you woman
Ain't nobody gonna stop us now

“I’m here with you, mama…let go. Ana!”

Ana trembled beneath him as he pushed one last time into her. She felt him spill into her, and she held him close. Both her arms wrapped around his sweaty back, breathing heavily into his neck. He, too, had never experienced something as powerful as this before. He shook and trembled atop her.

“Are you ok?” came his hoarse question. A dry throat and heavy breathing had deepened his voice.

“Yeah, are you?” she whispered in an equally hoarse voice.

“Yeah, just give me a minute. That was incredible,” he chuckled softly against her chest. She nodded.

“I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

The city lights sparkled through the glass doors on the far end of the room, and the street noise caused a soft murmur through the silence. JC laid on top of her, still inside of her. Ana’s legs were still wrapped around his waist. His face laid against her breasts, struggling to regain a normal breathing pattern. Her hands lightly caressed and soothed his back. Her hair fanned out against the pillow, casting a dark halo around her. Her lips pink and swollen from harsh kisses. A pink tint colored their sweating bodies from their orgasm. A satisfied smile tugged at her lips. She glanced down at the top of his head, and breathed in content. She’d made the right decision.

Lifting a shaking hand, she stroked his damp curls soothingly.

 

---

Song Credits:

"Tonight's the Night" -- Janet Jackson

End Notes:
Review! Review!
Chapter 15: Whenever You Call by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
so i totally have 3 midterms this week, Florida spring break next week, & 2 midterms 2 hand in by next saturday...yet, I updated Naturally!

Next Morning 

“Anita…babygirl…” JC’s soft whispers broke through the silence of the still darkened bedroom. Glowing angrily on the nightstand, the clock read 4:45am. 

“Josh…” came the muffled whine in response. In the middle of the bed, a tangle of limps lay peacefully. Ana’s nude body lay pressed upon the side of JC’s nude body. Her smooth leg tangled between his two muscular legs. Her left hand laid upon his warm chest, and his right hands hold it in its place. 

“Yeah, honey, we need to get up,” he nuzzled the top of her head, laying on his shoulder, and placed a kiss on her forehead. His right hand smooth back her morning unruly curls. 

“Do we have to?” her warm breath against his neck sent shivers throughout his body. 

“I’m afraid so, mama. How are you feeling?” he worriedly asked. He feared that she would ache badly after last night’s activities. 

“Content, but I haven’t moved. So, I don’t know big guy,” he could feel her smirk against his chest as she turned her head to place a soft kiss atop his heart. Her delicate hand began to slink its way down his chest, fingernails outlining its path, disappearing beneath the covers. 

“What are you doing, Anita?” JC’s voice suddenly deepened as she awoke a desire from deep within. 

“You can’t give me all sorts of dirty stuff once and not expect me to want more,” Ana smirked as she swung her full body atop his. A curtain of chocolate curls fell over them as Ana braced herself on JC’s chest. Straightening up, her curls fell over her breasts, blocking them from JC’s view. 

“Anita, I know you’re sore. We’ve gotta take it easy, mama,” JC’s voice held a small amount of warning, but his eyes told of his desire. His calloused fingers grasped and steadied her hips; she’d been purposely, and painfully slow, grinding into him. 

“After last night, you’ve proven you can’t break me,” Ana shrugged and tugged her bottom lip in between her teeth. She smoothed her hands over his chest, raking her fingernails over his nipples and watching them harden. He bit back a groan, and narrowed his eyes at her. 

“My sweet, Anita, you are dangerous,” JC sighed as his eyes fluttered shut. Ana smirked before reaching down and kissing all over his chest. She could feel him come alive beneath her, so she continued her assault. 

Not another protest from JC was heard. He allowed Ana to explore her newfound sexuality, and who was he to keep her from it?

It wasn’t until she threw her head back and arched into him, her body growing taut, that he spoke up, “That’s it, Ana, come with me, baby.” 

“Oh, Josh!”  

He plunged into her several more times before his own blissful release hit him full force.  

“Damn, baby!”  

For a moment, he held her against him. Pulling her down beside him, he stroked her back until her trembling subsided. 

“Oh, wow!” she muttered. He chuckled at that. 

“It gets better, huh?” she questioned. He chuckled slightly before agreeing. After taking some time to cool down, they both stood to shower and get ready for their day of ‘Ambassador’ duties. After their shower, Ana admitted she was feeling a little achy between her legs. 

“I’m sorry, mama,” JC sadly muttered as he held her close. 

“Please don’t apologize. It just a reminder of the wonderful time we had last night,” Ana stroked his cheek and smile comfortingly.  

“You are amazing,” he smiled leaning down to kiss her. 

“I love you,” her smile grew wider. 

“I love you too,” he replied. Stepping away, they continued to get dressed. Finally, they stepped out of the room dressed, showered, and satisfied. Originally, Ana planned on wearing jeans, but the harsh material would wreck havoc on her tenderness, so she opted for a brick red babydoll sundress with tribal prints, brown jewelry, and some brown sandals. Tucking a pair of strappy heels in her bag, she prepared herself in case of having to be more dressed up. JC in khaki pants, a simple white t-shirt, brown belt, and classic round toe work boots. 

“Damn you for making simple look so good,” Ana grumbled as she grabbed her purse and stomped out the hotel room. Watching her walk out with a cute pout on her lips, JC shook his head and laughed out loud. 

#### 

“Thank you so much for inviting us, Mr. Medina,” JC graciously shook the businessman’s hand as they all stood ready to depart the restaurant, where all ambassadors JC, Ana, Sting, and the Brazilian superstar kids, Sandy and Junior had attended breakfast with Mr. Medina. 

“No, no, thank you. Like I said earlier, I wanted to bring more attention to the festival. It has become much more than I ever imagined,” despite being a man of ridiculous money, Roberto Medina was humble. “Sandy and Junior, here, will do good in recruiting our youth to think about a better world. Sting, well, he’s just a social mastermind. He’ll be like brains of this festival,” he patted Sting on the back, and everyone nodded in agreement. 

“And, you two, well you guys are like the Social Ambassadors. Brazil loves you, and the world loves you. I know Anita was the immediate choice from the moment she signed on,” Roberto grinned and hugged Ana close to him. He’d sponsored her world tour, and he was like a parental figure to her. 

“Thank you nevertheless, Roberto. It’s a beautiful cause, and we are ecstatic to help out,” Ana spoke and grinned. After chatting a bit longer, the group made their way out of the restaurant and into a sea of photographers. Smiling and waving, they each got into separate cars and headed out. 

“You feeling alright?” JC spoke softly as they cruised down the road with a view of beautiful passing beaches. 

“A bit tender, but I’m good. Don’t worry,” Ana whispered back as she squeezed his hand gently. 

“You bled a good bit, Anita, I have to worry,” he argued back tugging her closer to him and resting a hand on her knee. Ana turned to him, smiling, and pecked his lips. 

“I know, but hey, let’s not think about that right now. Let’s think about all this extra time we get to spend together now. Photoshoots, interviews, recording, oh yes!” Ana’s eye grew in excitement. Currently, they were heading to do some promo shots for TV, radio, and print. 

“You know, I always told myself that I wouldn’t work with a girlfriend if we were in the same business,” JC said. 

“Yeah, I agree, but we couldn’t really pull out of something this big. Plus, no one knows we’re together, so does this count?” Ana replied. JC shrugged and the conversation ended right then. 

#### 

“JC, I’m naked!” Ana’s shriek could be heard outside of the dressing room at the studio. They were going through wardrobe changes, and Ana was not happy. 

“I doubt that. Just come out here and show us,” JC sighed and chuckled as he sat on the couch in between Johnny and Lacy. They all chuckled softly hearing Ana’s groan before hearing the dressing room door open. 

“Oh hell no! Go back inside! No! Put on some damn clothes!” JC shot up from the couch and moved to block everyone’s view of Ana in the skimpiest bathing suit he’d ever seen. 

“Didn’t I tell you that already? But, no, don’t listen to me. Deal with it, now move you big dork,” Ana pushed him out of the way and stood there with her hands on her hips. 

“Wow, that’s all there is to it?” Johnny asked as he shifted his gaze elsewhere. He really didn’t feel comfortable with seeing Ana in this stage of barely clothed. 

“Yes! Can I get some real clothes please? Possa recebo um terno que realmente cobre as minhas sardas?” Ana looked around at the gawking assistants. Hearing her speak in Portuguese, they all chuckled and dispersed looking for her request. 

“What did you just tell them?” Lacy questioned with a slight giggle. 

“Could I get a suit that covers at least my freckles?” Ana shrugged and turned around walking back to the dressing room. 

“It’s a thong!” JC exclaimed a glimpse of her behind through the sarong she wore. 

“My point exactly!” she exclaimed in return. 

“Were those bruises on Ana’s hips?” Lacy casually said as the door slammed. Both JC and Johnny turned to look at her, before both Johnny and Lacy turned questioning eyes to JC. Swallowing harshly, he stood up and walked straight into the room. Ana turned in shock with her arm covering her now bare breasts. 

“What the hell JC!” she hissed as he closed the door behind him. 

“We can’t do a beach photoshoot,” he stated plainly walking towards. She noticed his eyes firmly focused on her nether regions. 

“JC, right now is not the time to be horny. There are people all around,” she hissed as she grabbed his chin and made him look at her. 

“Mama, as good as you look in this silly string concoction, I’m not thinking of that right now. We have a slight issue right now,” JC smirked before dropping to his knees. He pulled away the sarong, and Ana grew nervous. 

“What are you doing?” her voice faltered. 

“I bruised you,” JC whispered as his fingers reached out to touch her hip. His warm breath hit her chilled skin like a bucket of ice water. 

“What?” she whispered. Finally, he touched and traced the dark hues splattered on her hips in the shape of his hands. 

“Lacy saw them. I’m so sorry, mama,” JC turned regretful eyes upwards. Locking eyes with him, she managed a small smile. She leaned down and kissed his forehead lightly before turning around. As she pulled on a white backless halter sundress over her head, she shimmied out of the bikini bottoms from underneath the dress. Stepping in her espadrille brown sandals, she passed JC, still on his knees. 

“Oh honey, don’t apologize. You ought to see your back. I think you ran through a barbwire fence shirtless,” Ana chuckled as she stepped out of the room, leaving JC shocked. 

“JC! Photo time!” Johnny’s voice broke through his surprise. Shaking his head clear, JC stood and smirked. She’s something else. 

#### 

“This is Sway with MTV news, bringing you the best music news on the hour every hour. We have just learned that our favorites Ana Mora and JC Chasez have been spotted together all around Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Both Ana Mora and *NSYNC are down in Brazil for the Rock in Rio 3 festival, along with other artists like Britney Spears, Sheryl Crow, and Sting. Festival founder has named Mora and Chasez as the Social Ambassadors of the festival, choosing them to represent the social causes benefited by the festival’s profits. For the past half a year, rumors of a romance between Mora and Chasez has dominated magazine covers, entertainment shows, and message boards. Is it pure coincidence that both are chosen to be Ambassadors or do they come as a package deal? No word yet from either’s representative confirming or denying a budding romance. Stay tune for more of the best music news on the hour every hour. This is Sway signing off.” 

#### 

“Ana! Ana! JC! JC! Vire! Vire!” the gathered group of photographers and cameramen shouted as the pair stepped out that evening from a local television network building. Having to smile all day, they cheeks ached and twitched as they fought to keep the smile fixed. 

“They’re superstars, huh?” Justin smirked as they sat in the SUV waiting for JC and Ana to make their way inside. They were all heading to dinner, so they’d stop by to pick them up. 

“Better them than us, my friend,” Chris replied causing the entire car to laugh. 

“I have a question. If they’ve been working all day and we’ve been on the beach all day, why do they have better tans than we do?” Lance observed as JC and Ana got closer through the crowd. Looking at them, the white of their clothing was a stark contrast to the bronze hue to their skin. Ana, herself, had a natural tan stemming from her Mexican heritage but now her skin glows a golden brown. JC’s own once pale complexion was now replaced by a nice golden hue. 

“I don’t know, but she looks beautiful,” Britney commented from her seat in the far back of the SUV. The car door opened and Ana’s lifted the hem of her dress to climb on as JC climbed in after her. 

“Hey guys,” Ana smiled brightly at everyone once she settled in her seat. A chorus of greetings and waves replied. 

“JC, you’re my idol!” Chris comically threw himself at JC’s lap as the car began to move. 

“Chris, you’re such a dork! Are we ready to eat? Because, we’re starving,” JC playfully pushed Chris away. 

“Hell yes! We’re gonna eat then we’re going to samba the night away!” Justin cheered. 

“Justin, honey, you don’t know how to samba,” Britney comforted him. 

“No, but Ms. Ana here does, and she’s taking us to a Samba club,” Justin exclaimed. Joey cheered from his seat.  

“Sure, whatever, I just want to go dancing. Burn some energy,” Ana said as she sneaked her hand across the seam of JC’s pants. His eyes widened, which she innocently smiled and winked at him. 

“You guys ready for the Superbowl?” Ana asked as she chewed on her food. There was an array of rice, black beans, meats, and vegetables on the table as the seven picked and ate. 

“I’m so nervous, y’all,” Britney’s southern twang rang loud. Ana chuckled before comforting her. 

“There’s no need to be nervous. It’s a show like any other,” Ana replied as she smiled at Britney. 

“It’s the superbowl, Ana!” she whined. 

“Ok, you’re right, you should be very nervous. Hell, I’m nervous for you guys. But, y’all will be fine. I’ll be watching from somewhere,” Ana kidded as the other guys chuckled; Britney looked more scared now. Joey playfully smacked Ana’s head and pointed at Britney nervously chewing on her fingernail. Ana shrugged shamefully. 

“I’m more nervous about this show than that. I’m not even thinking about it yet,” JC said. 

“Hell yeah, they will ‘boo’ you here so quick,” Lance said. Earlier today, they’d all heard about some local band getting boo’ed through their entire set. If the Brazilians were willing to boo the locals, they would have no problem booing the foreigners. 

“I got boo’ed here once. First tour, I used playback because I had a sore throat. Oh my, it was the worst thing ever. Midway through the show, I stopped playing. I stopped playback and I told them my voice was shot but I was gonna sing. I sounded horrible but they loved it. I learned my lesson,” Ana explained. 

“Really? Man, we got boo’ed so many times overseas,” Chris shook his head reminiscing. 

“Hell yeah, especially when everyone was expecting the Backstreet Boys, oh man, it sucked,” Joey chuckled remembering as well. 

“Well, look, no one is getting boo’ed here, so let’s switch topics,” Justin looked nervous as he requested a topic change. Silently agreeing, the conversation turned to talking about JC and Ana’s duties. During Ana’s set, JC would join her to sing Mariah Carey and Brian McKnight’s “Whenever You Call.” Also, Sandy & Junior would join her to sing one of their songs. All five artists would join Sting during his set to sing “Every Breath You Take.” 

“Ooh, good luck with those notes,” Justin grimaced as he thought of the vocal arrangements on that particular song. 

“We’ll get it right, no worries,” JC confidently replied. 

“I hope Ana’s still with you after working with you, Dr. Jekyll,” Chris kidded as the guys chuckled. 

“I’m not that bad,” JC defended himself. Ok, so he could be a pain in the ass in the studio, but he liked perfection. 

“Well, if you aren’t that bad, I am. My producers hate me,” Ana stated. 

“Nah, you can’t be worst than me,” JC smiled softly. 

“I don’t think you can imagine how bad I am,” Ana reiterated. The rest of the group just looked on as JC and Ana argued on who was the worst in the studio. 

“And so it begins…” Joey sighed. Choosing to ignore them, they continued to enjoy their food. 

#### 

Tu química con mi piel, hacen carga positiva
Tu química con mi piel, hacen carga positiva

Y cuando me acerco a ti, hay una bomba explosiva
Y cuando me acerco a ti, hay una bomba explosiva

Ana paraded around the stage in silver shorts, black corset, and silver go-go boots as the crowd jumped and pumped their fists in rhythm with the heavy techno beat.

Tu boca tiene la sal; mi cuerpo el azúcar
Tu boca tiene la sal; mi cuerpo el azúcar

Y mi corazón está, busca que te busca
Y mi corazón está, busca que te busca

Y yo sigo aqui, esperándote
Y que tu dulce boca ruede por mi piel
Y yo sigo aqui, esperándote
Y que tu dulce boca ruede por mi piel


“Rio, scream!” she commanded and Rio obeyed.

Pensaré si queda alguna manera
Pensaré si queda alguna manera
Pa? que te fijes en mi, y entonces me quieras
Pa? que te fijes en mi, y entonces me quieras

Si a ti te gusta morder, el mango bien madurito
Si a ti te gusta morder, el mango bien madurito

Her parade of half naked dancers glistened with sweat caused by the heat of so many spotlights. Her own legs’ sheen of sweat reflected the light.

Ven mírame a mi, tengo colorcito
Ven mírame a mi, tengo colorcito

Si en la vida hay que escoger, por muchos caminos
Si en la vida hay que escoger, por muchos caminos

Escógeme a mi, eso yo te pido
Escógeme a mi, eso yo te pido


Catching sight of the guys and Britney sitting in VIP cheering her on, she smiled and blew them a kiss before sprinting to the other side of the expansive stage.

Y yo sigo aquí, esperándote
Y que tu dulce boca ruede por mi piel
Y yo sigo aquí, esperándote
Y que tu dulce boca ruede por mi piel

Y entonces me quieras...

“I wish I knew what she was saying!” JC yelled to the others in the VIP section. 

“I don’t need to know what she’s saying to enjoy what she’s doing,” Joey’s perverse mouth replied, earning himself a smack. JC shook his head and turned his attention back to his babygirl. She was dominating the night, and she had the Brazilians eating from her hand.

Pensaré, si queda alguna manera
Pensaré, si queda alguna manera
Pa? que te fijes en mi, y entonces me quieras
Pa? que te fijes en mi, y entonces me quieras
Y yo sigo aqui, esperándote
Y que tu dulce boca ruede por mi piel
Y yo sigo aqui, esperándote
Y que tu dulce boca ruede por mi piel

The lights dimmed and the stage emptied. A slow rumble began in the far back of the crowd and soon enough reached the front.  ‘Ana!’ ‘Ana!’ ‘Ana!’

JC and Justin looked at each other and smiled. They were both sure Ana was feeling the same level of amazement as they had a couple of nights ago. During the guys’ performance of ‘I Want You Back,’ Justin had teased the crowd with the opening lyrics. But, instead of waiting for him to sing them, the crowd had sung the words back at them. It had been amazing to say the least. 

“Rio! Rio! Rio!” Ana jumped and chanted from centerstage as she ran back onstage after a couple other songs. A sea of people mocked her movements. She lowered the mic and listened to the crowd of thousands continue to chant. She wiped the sweat from her face with a small towel and smiled at the crowd. Night had fallen on the city, spotlights lit up the City of Rock, and smiles brightened everyone’s face. 

It’d been three nights since Britney and *NSYNC had performed, and it’d been a near-disaster. Britney had come on stage on the heels of Brazil’s golden stars, Sandy & Junior. Everyone had expected her to top the already existent hysteria, but her performance triggered the crowd to boo. When an American flag appeared on the stage jumbotrons during ‘Lucky,’ the crowd was not pleased. But, Britney smiled her way through the rest of her performance and she delivered a spectacular show. Once she stepped off the stage, she drowned in tears. Ana had been there waiting for her on the wings, armed with comforting words and hugs. 

Next up, the guys were awaiting for their stage to be switched. But, there were problems. Something about lose cables and missing parts delayed their performance by almost two hours. Thankfully, the crowds stayed put. The anticipation was electric once the boys actually hit the stage. The boys, themselves, were so anxious to get on stage that their energy was off the scales. The Brazilian news labeled them as the best performance of the night. The guys were applauded for their usage of Portuguese to address the crowd. Ana and Britney had sat in the VIP area watching the show, and they were mesmerized. 

Ana was especially stunned by the commitment, deliverance, and energy that JC displayed onstage. Normally, JC’s performances were always dynamic, rousing, and power-driven; but, that night, the passion and emotion rushing through his veins poured out of him and drenched the stage. Needless to say, it was recreated in a vehement performance after-hours. 

Rio! Rio! Rio! É comigo? Deixe-me ouço grita! Estou tão feliz em estar aqui com você. Obrigado para convidar me com braços abertos. Tenho uma surpresa final para você, Rio! Por favor bem-vindo JC Chasez!” Ana spoke into the mic as the roar from the crowd reached levels that created only a buzz in her ear. 

[Rio! Are you with me? Let me hear you scream! I'm so happy to be here with you. Thank you for inviting me with open arms. I have one final surprise for you, Rio! Please welcome JC Chasez!] 

“Rio! Let me hear you scream!” JC exclaimed as he walked in from backstage and joined Ana on the stools – centerstage. He handed her a bottle of water, and turned his attention to the crowd. 

“We want to thank you for your love and support. Thank you to Roberto Medina for inviting us, and for making us your ambassadors. Anita and I want to sing a little something for you guys before she wraps up this show. Remember, we’re all here For a Better World!” JC recited his speech as the opening chords to the song played. 

Looking over at Ana, he took a deep breath. She looked stunning. A week in the sun had bronzed her body beyond golden perfection. She stood regal in her black and white backless maxi dress with a keyhole halter, loose curls flowing down her back, and black towering heels. 

Ana’s gaze turned to him, admiring his body through his black button up, black slacks, and black shoes. He was heaven reincarnated to her, for her. Watching him lift the mic to his lips, Ana closed her eyes and swayed her body to the bass line of the song. This was a favorite of hers, and JC sounded simply beautiful singing it. 

Love wandered inside
Stronger than you
Stronger than I
And now that it has begun
We cannot turn back
We can only turn into one

I won't ever be too far away to feel you
And I won't hesitate at all
Whenever you call
And I'll always remember
The part of you so tender
I'll be the one to catch your fall
Whenever you call

“My goodness,” Britney latched onto Justin’s arm as all five leaned nervously in their seats. They all knew the level of difficulty of this song, and they all prayed that it would work out perfectly. 

“Guys, they won’t be able to hide anymore. Look at them,” Chris nervously pointed out as JC and Ana intertwined their fingers and held on as they sang. There was an undeniable adoration and passion radiating from both their eyes. 

And I'm truly inspired
Finding my soul
There in your eyes
And you
Have opened my heart
And lifted me inside
By showing me yourself
Undisguised

I won't ever be too far away to feel you
And I won't hesitate at all
Whenever you call
And I'll always remember
The part of you so tender
I'll be the one to catch your fall
Whenever you call

As tension in the song built up, both Ana and JC stood. Both animated and emotional singers, so sitting down was an automatic ‘no’.  Millions, both in attendance and watching the broadcast around the world, watched in wonder as both singers reached deep within their souls to belt out the six lines – promising each other longevity and eternity.

[JC] And I will breathe for you each day
Comfort you through all the pain
Gently kiss your fears away
[Ana] You can turn to me and cry
Always understand that I
Give you all I have inside

Joining hands, they stood apart holding hands and belting out their love song.

I won't ever be too far away to feel you
And I won't hesitate at all
Whenever you call

And, right here, there was a collective sharp intake of breath as everyone awaited the climax. And, ladies and gentlemen, JC Chasez and Ana Mora did not disappoint.

I won't ever be too far to feel you
And I won't hesitate at all
Whenever you call
I'll always remember
That part of you so tender
And be the one to catch your fall
Whenever you call
Whenever you call
Whenever you call 

“Rio! Amamo-lo! Boa noite!” the glowing duo held hands, bowed, and walked off stage amidst crazy applauding, screaming, and cheering. Rock in Rio 3 had just concluded with one of the most electrifying and body tingling performance.

JC Chasez and Ana Mora had just etched their way into the hearts of millions of people.

How would they ever continue to hide when they’d just stood up and proclaimed their love for one another through song to the entire world?

End Notes:
Please.....REVIEW!
Chapter 16: Oh by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
3.16.10 -- a nice & short one

March 2000

New York City, NY 

“Ana!” JC’s voice traveled into the kitchen from the upstairs. She chuckled before placing down her pen, and walking out into the foyer. 

“Yes?” she questioned as she saw him leaning over the top banister in just a pair of jeans. Hair wet from his shower, and feet bare. 

“You look cute,” he smiled brightly looking down at her morning outfit. she was dressed in oversize sweats, a tank, reading glasses, barefoot, and her hair was haphazardly thrown into a bun atop her head. 

“Thank you, but I doubt that’s what you’re hollering about like you’re dying,” Ana grinned and stood with her hands on her hips looking up at him. 

“You’re right, but I couldn’t help myself. I can’t find my brown shoes. Do you know where I put them last night?” JC questioned as he rubbed a towel over his head. 

“Well, I found them this morning before falling on my ass. You left them in the kitchen, but I put them in the coat closet by the front door. I’ll bring them up to you,” Ana stuck his tongue out at him before turning on her heel and heading for the closet. Grabbing his shoes, she headed upstairs to her bedroom. 

“What time do you have to be at the press conference?” Ana asked sitting down on the bed and watching JC get ready in the bathroom. 

“I think 10. We should be done by 1. What time do you go in to the studio?” JC asked finishing up his shave. 

“1:30,” she replied tucking her legs under her. 

“Wanna come with me then? We can drop you off at the studio afterwards or you can take the car if we run late,” he sneaked a glance at her, applying aftershave to his face. 

“That’d be fun. Will I be alone though?” Ana pulled the band from her hair, and shook it out. 

“Melinda is going with us. You can stick with her.” 

“That’s cool. I’m not dressing up though,” Ana pouted as she stood from the bed. JC chuckled walking out of the restroom and dropping a kiss on her pout. 

“Then don’t. I like you better dressed down. Especially in jeans, ooh-wee!” he exclaimed before slapping her butt. 

“Josh! You’re such a freak!” Ana exclaimed shaking her head, and laughing before going into the bathroom to shower quickly. 

#### 

“We have three-fifths of the pop megagroup, *NSYNC with us tonight. JC, Justin, and Chris are here at Planet Hollywood in Times Square. They are here to unveil their celebrity t-shirts. Proceeds will go to their Challenge for the Children charity. How are you guys tonight?” the host said as the guys walked out into the makeshift press are at the restaurant. 

“We’re doing great, really excited about these t-shirts,” Justin spoke into the microphone as he stood in between JC and Chris. 

“Absolutely, these t-shirts are great. You guys wanna talk about them,” the host spoke. 

“Yeah, in the past, there’s been a common theme of handprints with Planet Hollywood and their t-shirts. So, we went with it ourselves, and proceeds from sales go to our charity,” Chris explained. 

“Yeah, this year our charity weekend will be in Las Vegas. I believe it’ll be July 27th through the 29th,” JC announced. The guys had just gotten the ‘ok’ to announce the date, and they were really excited. 

“Las Vegas? That’s great. Do you guys have a set participant list already?” 

“It’s not set yet, but we do have a lot of people confirmed already. This year, we’re not having to beg people. People are like calling us and asking to be there, so we’re really happy about that,” Justin smiled. It was true; the event was growing so fast. 

“That’s great because it is such a good event. It’s for a good cause, and it’s just fun. Now, what can you guys tell us about what’s coming up for the group?” 

“Well, we’re in the studio right now working on this next album. We’re already planning a tour, which we’ll start before the album drops. Umm, what else?” Chris looked to Justin and JC for some help. 

“Dude, we just played the Superbowl and we did The Simpsons…” Justin began with a proud smile.

“We just did the Janet tribute last week and we’re inducting Michael Jackson into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame tomorrow. It’s been a crazy year so far and it’s only March,” JC laughed as he excitedly spoke.  

“Yeah, Justin and I went to LA last week to present our tribute video to Janet. We are honored to have been given the opportunity to celebrate her career,” Chris added. The press was allowed to ask a few questions before the guys wrapped up the press release. 

“Personally, I absolutely in awe of how well JC skirted around the question of little ol’ me,” Ana commented as she walked behind the guys. She pulled her baseball cap lower on her face and placed her shades over her eyes as they neared the exit. She’d been standing off to the side with Johnny and Melinda during the press conference. 

“I’m a trained professional, sweetheart. You should not be surprised at my talents,” JC smirked back at her as he followed security. 

“My, and he’s humble,” Ana sarcastically commented with a chuckle. 

“You guys should just go public. Then, y’all could avoid the sneaking around,” Justin said. His comment went unanswered as the guys were escorted through the crowd outside into their SUV. Soon after, Ana and Melinda boarded the car. Surprisingly, it seemed no one caught on to Ana’s identity. She was dressed pretty casually; it really wasn’t a disguise. 

“J, honey, how many times have you called me complaining about how you wish you’d just kept quiet about Britney?” Ana scoffed as she settled into the seat in front of the guys. Pulling off her cap, her hair fell down upon her shoulders and she shook it out. 

“Yeah, but we can hang out. It gets photographed, but we aren’t limited,” Justin argued. 

“No, you are limited because you get photographed. You guys need bodyguards and a whole army for safety just to grab ice cream,” Ana replied with a slight roll of her eyes. 

“Sorry, J, but she’s got a point. We may sneak around, but we got a bit more freedom,” JC agreed. Justin sighed because he knew it was true, but he didn’t like the idea of hiding his relationship with such a great girl. 

“Hey Chicken, how’s Kelly doing?” Chris asked from the backseat. Joey and Lance were in Florida because Kelly was near her due date. Lance was going to be the godfather to the baby – a girl. 

“She’s good. I spoke to Joey while you guys were doing press. She’s tired and she’s ready to have the baby. If she doesn’t have the baby by tomorrow afternoon, then Lance is flying in for the induction,” Melinda replied. She was on the phone, but she must’ve been on hold because she answered his question immediately. 

“I’m so nervous for her, but ah, so excited,” Ana bounced in her seat slightly and clapped her hands excitedly. The three guys looked at her weirdly before chuckling. 

“What? I can’t help that I’m excited. I love babies!” Ana squealed the last bit. 

“Prepare yourself Jace,” Justin kiddingly warned. 

“Not for a LONG, LONG, LONG time, J. You and Brit will beat us,” JC replied gravely. 

“Just don’t wait til you’re all dried up, son,” Chris joked. 

“Talking from experience, gramps?” JC joked back, and everyone laughed. 

“Who are you recording with?” Chris asked as the SUV stopped, and Ana tucked her hair back into her cap and grabbed her sunglasses. 

“I’m not recording. Believe it or not, I’m writing with Christina today. I’m so excited,” Ana replied as she climbed over Melinda to climb out. Stretching out, she pecked JC’s lips and bid goodbye. 

####

Hours later 

“Hello?” Justin answered the ringing cell phone. 

“J? Hey, it’s Ana. What are you doing?” came the reply. 

“Hey babes, I’m just chilling with the guys. You done for the day?” he leaned back on the couch and got comfortable. 

“No, we’re on a roll over here. Your friend, Matt from the MMC is here, and oh man, he’s a genius. I think we’re going on our 6th or 7th song already. Is JC around?” Ana asked. 

“Matt’s there? Really? Man, tell him to swing by when you finish. Let me get the phone to Jace, hold on,” Justin said before reaching across the coffee table and handing JC the phone. All 3, and Melinda, were watching some movie, just talking about whatever topic came up. 

“Hello?” JC questioned as he brought the phone up to his here. 

“Hey baby, what are you doing?” her voice brought an instant smile to his face. 

“Nothing, just chilling here with J and Chris. You guys done?” he replied. 

“No, I was just telling J that we’re on a roll over here. Matt, from the MMC, is here and we’ve just clicked. He’s like amaze-balls! But, we’re taking a quick break right now and I tried calling your phone but no luck,” Ana explained. 

“Oh man, I must’ve left it at your place this morning,” JC replied as he checked his pockets for his phone. Nothing. 

“It’s cool. I was just checking in with you since I don’t know how much longer I’ll be here,” Ana said. On her end, she sat on the hallway floor right outside the studio. 

“Do you think I’ll see you for dinner tonight?” JC inquired. Justin had lowered the volume on the television for him, and he knew that Chris, Melinda, and Justin were listening to his conversation. 

“Uhmm, I’m not sure. I think so but I don’t want to tell you yes then back out. It might be a late dinner,” Ana rubbed a hand across her forehead as she thought. 

“It’s cool. I’ll have dinner with the guys and we’ll hang once you’re done. Don’t worry about it,” JC comforted. He knew the meaning of having a good vibe in the studio. And it was times like these that they appreciate each other. They understood the situation, and there was no drama about it. 

“Thank you baby. You want to meet me at the condo?” Ana asked as a small appreciative smile graced her face. The studio door opened and one of the writers stepped out, motioning for her to come in. Break’s over. 

“Yeah, I’ll meet you back there tonight. Just text J once you’re done,” JC replied. 

“Cool, well, I’m getting called back. But, you got the key?” Ana asked. 

“Yeah, I got the key. Don’t worry. I’ll talk to you later, ok?” JC answered all the while patting his pockets to make sure he had the key indeed. He hung up the phone and handed it back to Justin, thanking him. 

“Key?” Justin raised a questioning eyebrow. 

“To her place,” JC replied. 

“You guys shacking up together already?” Chris asked, his eyebrow raised as well. JC looked from Justin to Chris before answering. 

“Nah, just gonna meet her over there.” 

“But, you got a key?” Chris questioned. 

“Well, how else am I supposed to get in?” JC retorted. 

“Wait for her?” Justin deadpanned. 

“And get mobbed?” JC asked. 

“In a secure building? I don’t think so,” Justin shrugged. JC remained quiet. He was cornered. He shifted his eyes from Justin to Chris, and back. His eyes shifted to Melinda who listened, but remained quiet. Suddenly, his palms began to sweat and nerves kicked in. 

“Is it too soon? Do you think so? Because I’ve been freaking out. She stays with me when she comes to Orlando and I stay with her in NYC. She’s gonna be in LA soon for a good while, and she’s been talking about getting a place out there. But, I’ve been losing sleep. I want her at my place, but will she freak out?” JC nervously rambled in one breath. Chris, Justin, and Melinda sat in silenced amusement as the normally very calm JC crumbled. 

“Whoa, breathe, Jace,” Justin chuckled and patted JC on the back to calm him down. 

“Yeah, man, don’t fall out on us,” Chris chuckled. 

“I’m serious guys. It’s been 7 months, is it too soon?” JC repeated. 

“Dude, you had Bobbie living with you like 3 months in,” Chris pointed out. 

“Ana and Bobbie aren’t the same, you ass. Ana could very well afford her own place; hell, she’s got 2 already. Bobbie was just a leech, and I was stupid,” JC defensively argued. 

“Look, Jace, Ana is a smart girl. She’s also very young and very adventurous, like idiot over here,” Melinda put her two cents in, pointing at a pouting Justin. 

“Hey, watch yourself, Chicken,” Justin jokingly-warned. 

“Yeah, whatever. Anyways, Ana is all in or she’s all out. She doesn’t scare easily. I think you should just talk it out with her. Figure it out together. You’ve told me yourself that she doesn’t like talking about JC/Ana issues with anyone but JC and Ana. So, maybe you should do the same,” Melinda suggested. 

“You’re so right, Chicken. Thank you!” JC smiled brightly before reaching over and kissing Melinda on the her temple. He opened his mouth to say something, but was interrupted by Johnny walking into the suite. 

“No knocks? Come on, man, respect the room,” Justin exclaimed as Johnny walked in. 

“Justin, hush. JC, where is Ana?” Johnny sternly hushed Justin before standing in the middle of the sitting area. 

“Hey there, Johnny. Umm, Ana, she’s in the studio with Christina. Shouldn’t you know that?” JC replied sitting up a bit straighter. 

“You’d think so, right? Well, I don’t. Why is she in the studio?” he asked sitting down on the couch with a deep sigh. 

“Writing for Christina’s new album. Why don’t you know this?” JC questioned. 

“Well, I’m not all too sure what is going on in Ana’s mind. I just got out of a meeting with Rick from Columbia and he informs me that Ana met with him yesterday. Basically, she’s taking a break from music after this next album. She wants to focus on writing and producing, and films. He’s not very happy because she just signed on. She can’t come in with demands like that. What is going on with her?” Johnny’s frustration was overpowering. JC sat back in shock because he didn’t know any of this. They never really spoke about their careers. 

“Well, Johnny, I’m not too sure what you want me to tell you. This is the first time I’ve heard about this. I know she’d been writing more, but she hadn’t mentioned anything to me. Besides, this is something you should talk to her about not me,” JC replied. It bothered him that Johnny would come in here and demand explanations from him in regards to her actions. He was not her father; he did not owe anyone any explanations. 

“I understand that, but sometimes, I can’t get to her. I wish she took this so much more serious than she does,” Johnny sighed. 

“Johnny, chill. Ana is a smart girl. She knows what she can and cannot do, as well as what she should and should not do. You gotta give her a chance to make her own choices, man. Remember, that’s the whole reason she isn’t with Jive anymore,” Chris stepped in when he saw JC’s jaw twitch. It’d be a matter of moments before JC lost it. 

“I know that, trust me, I know that. She’s a great business mind. A damn good one too for her age,” Johnny leaned back on the couch and sighed. 

“She’s had to be. There’s been no one until now to look out for her but herself. She looks to you to support her, Johnny,” Justin spoke up. 

“Plus, Johnny, you should hear some of her music. It’s better than the stuff she puts out. You guys should let her write more of her own stuff,” Melinda suggested. All the guys agreed with her. 

“She’s gonna be the death of me!” Johnny huffed. 

“And riches to your wallet,” Chris said. Everyone laughed because it was true. The media always compared her stardom to Britney’s and vice versa. But, Britney was a popstar that sang and danced according to old, overweight suits behind a desk. Ana was a popstar that sang and danced what the suits wanted, but on her terms. Ana marched to the beat of her own drum, come hell or high water. No one could argue with her choices because she always delivered in the end; unfortunately, this made her a golden money machine to companies. 

#### 

“Ana!” JC called into the condo as he stepped in. Ana had texted Justin to let him know she would be heading out in an hour. So, JC had the driver bring him to her condo to wait for her. Climbing the stairs to drop off his stuff, he headed back downstairs to wait for her. 

Taking a seat on the couch, he sat back and allowed himself to drift into his thoughts. All day he’d been thinking about his conversation with Justin, Chris, and Melinda. He couldn’t take his mind off of it, and he was still a bit lost. Yes, he’d just gotten his houses in LA and Orlando, and yes, he hadn’t really enjoyed them himself. But, he wanted to share that space with Ana. She was so independent, and she had her own career. Normally, commitment scared him senseless, but not with Ana. Why? 

She was beautiful, yet not vain. She was joyful, yet not immature. She was serious, yet not dull. She let him breathe and be. She supported him, and she helped him. They understood each other musically, emotionally, and as of recently, physically. By her side, he rediscovered his youth. He was only 25, but he’d felt like he was going on much older at times. The guys always kidded around calling him “Daddy,” and that automatically made him out to be serious and dull. But, he liked to have fun. And now, he was starting to realize that he’d been missing out on a lot of fun because of his “role” in the group. Her youth brought adventure, yet sophistication to his life. She was reminding him that youth only visits once. 

The jiggling of the front door broke through his thoughts, and he sat up waiting for her entrance. He wiped his sweaty palms on his jean-clad thighs and waited. He was going to do it. He was going to ask her to move in with him. Wow. His own thoughts surprised him, scared him, and excited him. 

“Josh, are you here?” Ana’s smooth, husky voice called from the foyer. 

“In the living room,” he called back. Moments later she walked into the space, looking a bit tired, but smiling. 

“Hey handsome,” she sighed, dragging her feet over to him. 

“Hey beautiful, tired?” he questioned leaning over to peck her lips as she sat next to him. She held his face in place, and deepened the kiss. Finally, pulling away, she smiled tiredly. 

“I am, but I needed that right there,” she breathed contently, and closed her eyes. 

“There’s some B&J in the freezer, want some?” JC offered as she snuggled into the couch pillows. 

“Chocolate chip cookie dough?” she opened one eye and asked, hopeful. 

“You know it,” JC smiled and patted her thigh before standing up. He walked into the kitchen and served two bowls with ice cream, grabbing a bottle of water, and sitting back down beside her. 

“Did Johnny come harass you?” Ana asked as she sat up and took a bite of her ice cream. She’d shed her shoes at the door, and now her legs rested on JC’s lap. 

“Yes, he took me a bit by surprised. But, I told him I didn’t know anything about it. The truth, but even still, I don’t need to explain you nor you need to explain me. Right?” JC replied after swallowing his bite. 

“Yes, thank you. I talked to him a while ago, so things are squared away for now at least,” Ana said. She leaned over and kissed his cheek. 

“You want to talk about it?” JC probed. He was curious as to her decision, but he wasn’t going to pressure her. 

“Yeah, but can we talk about it later? Lacy stopped by the studio and brought me these pictures of houses in LA. Can you look at them with me?” Ana asked as she reached down where her backpack sat on the floor. She pulled out a small binder and set it on her lap. JC glanced from the binder to her eyes and back to the binder before swallowing thickly. 

“About LA, can we talk about it?” JC asked as his hand reached out and rubbed her leg. Pulling down the spoon that was midway to her mouth, Ana raised an eyebrow. 

“Yeah, sure, what’s going on? Is something wrong?” she placed her hand over his and held it in place on her thigh. JC took a couple of calming breaths before turning his head to look at her. 

“No, there’s nothing wrong. It’s just I’ve been thinking about this for a while now, and well, I just don’t know how to bring it up.” 

“How about you just tell me? I’m not that scary, am I?” Ana tried to joke to make him relax, and succeeded. JC cracked a smile that caused the corners of his eyes to crinkle. 

“No, you don’t scare a dust bunny, Tiger,” JC kidded using the nickname that Justin had suited Ana with. 

“Oh hush, I can be scary. Just don’t cross me, bud,” Ana nudged his shoulder gently. A gesture of both tease and encouragement to continue. 

“Well, I just think that it’s kind of pointless to buy a new house when my house is there,” JC began. Ana just looked at him not understanding why it was so difficult for him to say that. 

“Well, yeah, your house is there,” she dumbly repeated. 

“So, just stay there,” JC replied. 

“Josh, baby, you were nervous about offering me to rent your house out?” Ana questioned. Her hand cupped his cheek and held him face towards her. 

“No, I’m not offering you my house to rent. I’m offering my house for you to have,” JC clarified. 

“So, you’re selling me your house?” Ana was confused. 

“No, Anita, mama, I’m offering you my house to live in – with me,” JC shook his head and restated his offer. Ana sat in silence for a few moments before opening her mouth. 

“You want me to move in?” 

“Yes.” 

“Oh.”

End Notes:
Feedback! Feedback! Feedback! Feedback!
Chapter 17: Sexy Bumblebee by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
has it really been two months?!?!?! wow...i'm sorry! put down the tomatoes and the water hose!

The silence that followed was heartbreaking. The excitement and anticipation that had decorated his face from the moment he opened his lips was gone. Vanished. Torn apart by her lack of enthusiasm. Ana could feel her heart shatter and her hands tremble when she notice the void in his eyes. 

“Josh…” she began but his raised hand silenced her. 

“Ana, don’t…” he muttered, lowering his eyes to the floor and shaking his head. His jaw twitched, and Ana’s body flinched. She reached a timid hand to his forearm, and she prepared to have it ripped off. Instead, he hesitated before placing a warm hand atop hers. 

“What does ‘oh’ mean?” he asked after several moments of tense and suspenseful silence. His voice was low and controlled, but she could hear it break. 

“Josh, it doesn’t mean anything, I swear. You caught me off guard. I really wasn’t expecting this. It threw me completely off. I swear, Josh, you have to believe me. It’s not that I don’t want to live with you, but I don’t know if we are ready, no, if I am ready. I mean, are you ready for that again? Will you get tired of me? What will happen if my bad habits annoy you?” her hands left his arm and her legs curled up to her chest. JC turned his head, and the fear radiated in her eyes. 

“Ana, if I wasn’t ready, I wouldn’t have asked you. I’ll understand if you aren’t ready, just don’t scare me like that mama,” his soft voice spoke as his fingers caressed her cheek. Ana leaned into his hand, and simply stared into his eyes. The turmoil in her head was overpowering her heart’s desire to scream ‘yes’. If there was ever a time where she hated being rational, this would be the moment. Usually, she was the first to jump without looking. But, today, fear stopped her. 

“Can I think about it? I mean, I really do want to. I just don’t want to ruin what we could have because we moved too fast,” she requested. A small and tender smile tugged at his lips before he licked them and leaned towards her. 

“Of course,” he smiled against her lips and pecked them soundly. He pulled back, and pulled her off the couch. “Come on, let’s get to bed,” he announced as he pulled them towards the staircase. Shutting each light as they passed by, Ana felt sillier and sillier about her lack of reply. The hurt resonated in his eyes flashed before her eyes. The disappointment in his voice tore at her heart. 

---- 

Orlando, Fl 

“Ana!...Ana!...Tiger!” the pounding from Justin’s feet were muffled by the plush carpet of the WEG compound hallway some days later. Hearing her name being called, Ana turned around. 

“Hey J, what’s up?” she asked as she finished securing her hair into a ponytail. She then proceeded to loop it through a baseball cap and pull it low on her face. 

“Where are you off to?” he asked as he looked down at her. She was by no means short, but his height towered over her. She leaned up to kiss his cheek and he returned the gesture. 

“I just finished some dance rehearsal, and I’m meeting Josh for lunch. Want to join us?” she asked.  

“Yeah, sure, let me just grab my jacket,” Justin replied before turning back towards one of the lounges. He quickly grabbed his shades, a cap, and wallet. Stepping back out into the hallway, he wrapped a secure arm around Ana’s shoulders and led her to the front door. 

“What were you rehearsing for?” Justin asked as he settled into the passenger seat of JC’s Jeep, which Ana had borrowed. 

“I got a couple of shows to do next month, and Johnny just signed me up for the Blockbuster Awards,” Ana replied as she pulled out of the compound. 

“Wait, are we performing there too?” Justin questioned. He could remember something being mentioned about them being there, but he wondered if they were performing. 

“I don’t think so. I think because of Baby Briahna, Joey is getting a break,” Ana replied. 

“Where are we headed?” 

“Rossi’s Pizza, best pizza in town,” her stomach growled at precisely that moment. Laughter erupted inside the car. 

“Hungry, huh?” Justin asked in between chuckles. 

“You have NO clue. I gotta head back to rehearsals after this, so I will be grubbing good,” Ana smirked rubbing her stomach. They continued joking and laughing all the way to the pizza place. Once they arrived, they parked down the street and walked together. 

“You know, huh?” she quietly asked as they walked down the street. His arm had wrapped around her shoulders, and she just felt a comfort that she longed for. Justin had heard all about Ana’s lack of reply and enthusiasm when he asked her to move in with him. 

“Yeah, he told me about it before and after. What’s holding you back, Tiger?” Justin answered. He already knew what she meant. Her arm wrapped around his waist and leaned her head on his shoulder. 

“I don’t know, J. I love him, I really do. I would love to take that next step, but will I become another Bobbie? Or Nikki?” Ana’s usual steady and strong voice broke. The absurdity of her words caused Justin to pull away from her. 

“Hey, look at me, Ana, LOOK at me,” he commanded. She lifted her golden eyes to his, and she saw a sternness that he’d never displayed. “You are no Bobbie and you are no Nikki. Josh never ASKED them to move in with him, they simply moved right on in. He knows that you don’t want anything from him other than his heart and time. What does your heart tell you to do?”  

“My heart screamed ‘yes’ when he told me, but my stupid head answer. I should move in with him, right? He’s great, and he loves me. I love him and I want to be with him. I should, definitely, right?” she spoke and looked up from under the cap’s bill to meet his eyes. 

“You should do what your heart tells you to do. It’ll never fail you,” Justin replied with a smile. He hugged her tightly against his side and placed a brotherly kiss on her temple. After a few minutes of silence, Ana giggled and hugged him tighter to her side. 

“Tomorrow’s headline: Singer two-timing NSYNC’s Heartthrobs,” Ana announced before pointing out the group of photographers across the street, following their every move. 

“Wait til they see the three of us eating lunch, then it’ll be ‘Heartthrobs Tag-Team Singer’,” Justin retorted and Ana’s laughter filled the air. 

“That just sounds dirty, and Joey’s gonna get jealous,” Ana managed to say in between giggles before turning into the restaurant. 

---- 

After lunch… 

“When are you guys flying out?” Ana sat cross-legged in the center of the bed, watching JC collect his clothes. Her nimble finger meticulously folded his clothes before setting them aside for him to put up later. 

“Next Friday morning, we want to keep Joey away from the baby as little as possible,” he replied bent over at the waist, looking for something under the bed. 

“You’re heading to LA, right?” 

“Yeah, we have the movie, the dinner thing, and the awards that way,” he absently replied. Ana bit her bottom lip nervously as she fiddled with a pair of his socks. 

“Think you can head over there on Wednesday instead?” 

“Wednesday? Where to?” 

“LA.” JC’s head popped around the wall that separated the bathroom and the bedroom. 

“LA, huh? What’s going on there?” he questioned with a cocked eyebrow. 

“I fly in and I don’t have a key or gate code,” she replied keeping her eyes on the sock that she’d folded and re-folded a couple of times now. Silence ensued. She was pretty sure that she could’ve heard a pin drop, if the room hadn’t been carpeted. 

“Anita, look at me,” his soft voice begged after several minutes of silence. Drawing in a deep breath, she raised cautious eyes. Finally, their eyes met and a small smile tugged at the corner of JC’s full lips. 

“What do you need a key or gate code for?” he asked bringing his body around the corner. 

“Your house, er, well…our house, you know, if you still, you know, want me to, you know…” came her nervous reply. Her hands trembled in her lap, and she forced her eyes to remain on his face. 

“The offer still stands Ana…” his reply was so soft. Ana wondered if he’d even moved his lips to speak. She held his gaze for another moment or so before finding the courage to speak. 

“I’d love to move in with you, Josh,” her lips trembled as a timid smile graced her face. It was a cautious smile; she didn’t know what his reaction would be. He maintained a stone face, expressionless and unreadable. 

“Its about damn time” he chuckled before flinging himself atop the bed. His body landed on Ana, and his laughter tickled her neck. She couldn’t control her giggles as they mixed with her tears. 

“I’m so sorry about not answering. I just…well, I just…I was scared…but I…stupid…then…big idiot…and…I’m sorry…” came her hurried words through tears and laughter. JC could only laugh harder before covering her mouth with his, hushing her ramblings. 

His hand buried itself deep in her curls. His lips gently, yet passionately massaging her own. His other arm wrapped around her waist before rolling them. She was sure that he’d rolled on top of the newly folded clothes, but she could care less from her current position. Her shapely and lithe legs straddled him, and she pushed her body into a sitting position. 

“I really am sorry…I was a fool,” she spoke truthfully, running a finger across his abs. 

“Its all said and done now, mama. I just want to know one thing,” he soothed, running his hands over her thighs. 

“Anything.” 

“Are you sure about this? I rather hurt by you telling me ‘no’ now, then to hurt knowing later,” he asked. 

“I’m positive about it. Completely sure. Absolutely, positively, entirely, whole-heartedly…” he pulled her down to him and kissed her teasing lips. She laughed quietly against his lips before giving into his ministrations. 

“I got about an hour,” Ana mumbled against his lips. Her luggage was pack and sitting by the front door. She was flying out to do some promo work for her Spanish album. 

“Plenty of time, now hush,” he commanded. His hands tugged at the hem of her tank, and her arms raised obediently. His hands smoothed down her sides, teasing her breasts, tickling her ribs, and squeezing her hips. Her own hands pushed up his shirt, and her lips lowered to bathe his chest and abs with soft, wet kisses. Nibbles were soothed with a flick of her tongue, and chill bumps raised on his skin as her nails gently scraped him. 

“You’re getting too good at this…” his soft moan filled the darkening room. Daytime was quickly falling to the hands of nighttime. 

“I’ve had a wonderful teacher…” her breath fanned over his bellybutton, as her fingers worked the button and fly on his jeans. 

“You ought to give him an apple…” 

“Or maybe a cherry…” he raised his head to look down at her, and he was met with a smirk and a challenging eyebrow. 

“You’re dangerous, mama,” he chuckled. His chuckles became deep groans as her hands, lips, and body worked his every sense. Relaxing into the pillows and mattress beneath him, he gave into every sensation rushing through his veins. He let her be in control – the way he loved her to be. 

---- 

End of MarchHollywood, CA

“Is that seriously all that you have?” JC asked as they stood in the foyer of his L.A. home looking at only about a handful of boxes that had been delivered. 

“You do realize you already have a furnished house, right? It’s just clothes and my music stuff,” Ana replied from her spot on the staircase. The look of boredom on her face was comical. She really didn’t understand JC’s bewilderment. 

“Your music stuff?” he cocked an eyebrow in her direction. 

“I’m not gonna take over your studio, Josh,” she rolled her eyes and sighed. A look of relief washed over his face, and she couldn’t help but chuckle. 

“I didn’t mean it like that,” he playfully glared at her. 

“Right, of course you didn’t. If you don’t mind, and if you’re not using it, I may need your studio occasionally. But, for the most part, I’ll find a little corner in this monster house to write and work,” she replied. 

“Are you sure? Because, I mean, I could find a way to make you some space down there,” JC squatted in front of her and held himself steady on her knees. Ana laughed lightly and reassured him that she didn’t need to invade his studio space. 

“Well, what about furniture? I want this house to feel like it’s yours too,” he asked. Ana looked around into the living room and the den, and she couldn’t definitely do without certain pieces but she also didn’t want to come in and redo his entire house. 

“Give me some time, and then we’ll talk furniture. Yeah?” she settled on testing out the house first. 

“That’s fine, but first of all, you and I have an errand to run,” he stood and held out a hand to her. 

“We do? Where are we going?” Ana questioned as she allowed him to pull her up to stand next to him. 

“You and I are going shopping. So, hurry, go get your shoes, sunglasses, purse, kitchen sink, whatever you need. Go, go…” he hurried her upstairs, patting her butt as she jogged up the steps. She giggled in confusion, but did as she was told. She quickly changed out of her yoga pants and tank top into the first thing she found in her carry-on. She changed into a simple blue and white handkerchief-patterned sundress, her jean jacket from earlier, a pair of sandals, and her cognac-colored purse. 

“I’ll never understand why all women can’t get ready as quick as you and look as radiant as you,” JC shook his head as he walked her out the front door and out to his convertible. Ana blushed slightly, and followed him out quietly. 

“So, what exactly are we going shopping for?” Ana asked as they stopped at a red light on Sunset. She looked over at him from behind her Jackie-O style sunglasses and smiled at him. He looked so comfortable and at ease with his elbow resting on the window, and his fingers massaging his jaw. 

She could see his eyes look at her from behind his dark shades, and a mischievous smirk tugged at his lips. 

“You know you look like a bumblebee with those shades,” he playfully said. Her jaw dropped, and she smacked his arm. 

“It’s the latest in Milan fashion,” she playfully replied in a horrible Britist accent. A boisterous laugh escaped him, and she couldn’t help but join him. 

“A sexy bumblebee, though,” he smiled tenderly at her and rested a warm and firm hand on her knee. 

“I’ll show you my sting later,” she smirked in his direction, causing him to chuckle quietly.

End Notes:
Review! Review!
Chapter 18: Shoes! Shoes! Shoes! by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
*hides* so i'm an #epicfail when it comes to timely updates...I'm sorry! I hope you enjoy! review! review! review! review! pls! pls! pls! pls!

Four days since the new luxury, dark wood bed had been delivered and four days since the world had been exposed to entertainment’s newest power couple. It all seemed silly to Ana. All the attention seemed pointless. In her eyes, there was nothing exciting about them. They weren’t Justin and Britney. There was more of a fairytale element to their relationship. You know, the whole childhood friends find love and all that jazz. She saw them, and she could see why the world was fascinated with them. Young and in love – carefree puppy love. 

Funny, she was their age and yet she felt so much older. JC definitely had a lot with her feeling more mature and more in control. She didn’t feel they were old-fashioned, but they were more routine and domestic than anything. They’d easily fallen into a routine at home – like that of an old married couple. 

Despite the lack of commonalities between both couple, the media would not give up on drawing the comparisons between both couples. One magazine had listed all the similarities with a single difference, JC and Ana were brunettes. Ana had laughed so long at that one; Justin hated being called a blonde. 

That day, the day they’d gone public, JC had taken Ana shopping for a new bedroom set. He had told her that he wanted them to start fresh. It wasn’t necessary, but Ana knew the biggest reason for getting a new bed set was because he’d shared it with Bobbie. When it clicked in her mind, she breathed a sigh of relief and thanked him. He blushed slightly but dismissed it by saying that he hadn’t taken the time to decorate his LA home either, so there was no better time to do it than now. Ana knew that Bobbie had lived in this house, but she didn’t dwell much on it. She didn’t want to let old ghosts haunt this new stage. 

Now that they were public, they’d agreed to simply not talk to the press about their relationship. They weren’t going to hide per se, but they weren’t going to be on exhibit either. They’d discuss attending events together as events came up. To them, their relationship wasn’t as big of a deal as it’d become in the past couple of days. Media attention should stay focus on their careers and not them. For now, Ana was going to focus on her Spanish tour and JC was going to channel his energy on NSYNC’s album and tour. And together, they were focusing on situating into a life together – making time for each other and learning to live together. 

Like every morning, Ana woke early, way before JC. She had rehearsals in a couple of hours but she had much to get done in the house before heading out. Relishing the feeling of JC’s body close and warm, she breathed in deeply before stretching her body. Allowing herself a moment to adjust, she regarded the room – still and quiet. Sunlight had begun its slow creep over the hills and into the bedroom via the large glass windows that took up an entire wall of the bedroom. 

In two days, they’d transformed his ultra bare bedroom into something they’d both agreed on. Being that the house had a very modern style, the bedroom had dark, almost black hardwood floors. Adding a black wood canopy bed to set in the center with dark wood nightstands and dressers to go along with it, Ana had chosen a deep grey and peach color scheme for the room. The sheets, comforter, pillows, and shams were all in varying patterns of grey and peach. 

She carefully climbed out of bed, careful not to wake JC. She knew he’d had a late night in the studio, and she didn’t want to interrupt his sleep. He had a meeting to go to tonight, and she wanted him to rest up. Tiptoeing into her closet, which she’d finally managed to organize yesterday, she quickly pulled a pair of sweat pants and tank top on before packing some extra clothes into a duffle bag. Moving to the bathroom, she snuck a glance at JC’s sleeping form. Deep breaths filled his chest, wild curls decorated his head, and a pout shaped his lips. 

Quickly finishing up her morning routine, which now included wiping dry toothpaste from the sink bowl, she sat on the leather cushioned bench at the foot of the bed to pull on her sneakers. She shook her head thinking of all the things that she’d quickly learned about JC. Yes, she stayed at his house and he stayed at hers in the past. But, there was a difference when it was their home. Reaching the bottom of the stairs and nearly breaking a hip, she sighed. 

Shoes. 

One of JC’s downfalls – leaving his shoes at the base of the staircase. She’d noticed before that he tended to leave his shoes in random places. In some weird way, she’d found it adoring in the past. But after four mornings of constantly tripping on them, it was plain annoying. Tucking the shoes into the coat closet by the front door, she made her way to the kitchen to fix her breakfast and snacks. 

A shrill from the phone on the counter interrupted Ana’s humming. Racing to answer the phone before it could disturb JC, Ana clicked the phone. 

“Hello?” she spoke, tucking the phone between her jaw and shoulder. 

“Ana, sweetheart, how are you?” a friend voice replied. Ana couldn’t help but smile as she recognized Karen’s voice. 

“I’m good, Mrs. Chasez, how are you?” she replied. 

“Ana, must I tell you every time that it’s Karen, and I’m good. How are you settling in?” a soft blush crept up to Ana’s cheek. 

“I’m sorry. It’ll take some getting used to, ma’am. Oh man, you see, it’s a bad habit. But, I’m settling in just fine. It’s a process,” Ana replied as she went about washing the dishes that she assumed JC used the night before. 

“Oh, I know, hun. Josh is no saint, so anyone that dares put up with him is a saint. It also eases a mother’s mind knowing her baby boy is being taken care of,” Karen replied, causing Ana to chuckle. 

“Oh, I think we both have our hells. But, we’ll make it work,” she replied, smiling at the note that she’d just spotted next to the sink. 

Thank you for dinner. I’ll need the car, wake me. I’ll drop u off. I love you. - Josh 

“How are your rehearsals going?” their conversation continued on for about a half hour, before Ana had to go. She needed to finish getting ready before heading out. 

“Oh, that’s alright, dear. You take care of yourself and my baby; let him know ‘I love him’. It was nice talking to you. Have a good day,” Karen said. Ana returned the well wishes before placing the phone next to her. She shook her head and chuckled before moving her stuff by the garage door. 

Hating to have to wake him, she climbed back upstairs. Unstirred, he laid now in the middle of the bed. Gently sitting on the bed’s edge, Ana leaned over to kiss his lips gently. She soothed his curls back before softly calling his name. 

“Josh, baby, you have to wake up,” she spoke, all the while smoothing his crazy curls back. Lush eyelashes fluttered against high cheek bones before dazed blue eyes smiled at her. 

“Morning gorgeous,” he croaked before clearing his throat and stretching. 

“Good morning, baby. I saw your note. I didn’t want to wake you, but I need to get going though,” Ana replied reaching back down to kiss his puckered lips. Pulling away, he stood and walked into the bathroom. 

“Go start the car, I’ll be down in a second,” he called, and Ana could hear the sink water running.  

#### 

“Hold those legs higher Ana!” a growl resonated from the dance studio’s reflective surfaces. 

“How the hell do you expect me to hold them higher when my fucking insides are shaking?” a strained Ana replied as she lay on the hardwood floor – legs suspended in the air. Her dancers all groaned from around her as they too lay like her. 

Rick stood in the front of the room, watching them, pushing them to hold onto it longer. 

“Maybe if you would focus on the dance steps more, you’d do less punishments,” he retorted. Ana grumbled about costume sketches and budget approvals as her abs quivered and her thighs burned. 

All morning she’d been trying to go through dance rehearsals, but every few minutes someone would interrupt them to have her look over sketches, budgets, setlists, and schedule drafts. It was driving everyone insane because Rick refused to give them a break until they could get through it without an interruption. Each mistake was paid off by some drill – jumping jacks, push-ups, planks, wall sit ups, etc. 

“Alright, up on your feet. Let’s try this once more,” Rick called before a series of limps smacking the hardwood floors was heard. Groans followed as they all stood, shakily. 

The music to the first song came on and the group of 11 moved effortlessly from formation to formation. Rick had managed to teach them 3 full songs already. They moved from one song to another with Rick correctly small things here and there. She had a 13 song set, but only about 9 were dance songs. So, they weren’t practicing the ballads – obviously. As each song progressed, the fatigue began to weigh down on the group. Nearing the end of the final song, the studio doors burst open and in ran a canine. 

“Tajo!” Ana grunted in frustrated. Her dancers dropped to the floor in equal frustration. Another interruption meant a re-do. 

“Did we come at a bad time?” a hesitant JC stood at the door holding the leash that Ana assumed was once latched onto Tajo’s collar. 

“Nah, they were heading on break,” Rick chuckled from his place up against the wall mirrors. Eleven hopeful faces look to him for assurance. This caused him to chuckle harder. He nodded in response and everyone scurried like roaches. 

“Are you being a slavedriver again Rick?” JC kidded as he walked further into the studio. Stopping to shake Rick’s hand, he moved to the center of the room where Ana sat in a heap of tired bones. 

“Always and forever…”Rick kidded before gathering his things and leaving the studio. 

“Tired, mama?” JC asked as he bent over at the waist to kiss Ana’s puckered lips. 

“Exhausted is more like it. If Lacy comes in here one more time and ask me to approve something, I’m going to approve her termination papers,” Ana sighed falling back onto the cool wooden floors. Tajo laid beside his master and cuddle up to her side. 

“I’m sorry honey. I know how frustrating it is to do 1 million things at once,” JC sympathized, taking a seat beside her. “How much longer do you think you’ll be here?” 

“Probably 3 or 4 hours. Then, I gotta head upstairs to meet with Ruben to work on some arrangements. Are you heading to meet up with the guys?” Ana asked laying her arms across her eyes and trying to regain a normal breathing pattern. JC’s had found its way to her exposed belly, and gently rested his hand there. 

“Yeah, we’re just gonna all ride over there together,” JC replied. 

“Well, leave Tajo here with me. I’ll take him home with me,” Ana replied turning her head to look at Tajo. He seemed to already be snoozing by her side but she wasn’t sure. 

“I shouldn’t be home too late tonight, but I’ll let you know if it runs late,” JC stated as he leaned over Ana’s resting body. She nodded in response before feeling his lips softly caress her own. Slowly, the simple kiss escalated to much more. His tongue pushed against her lips until she granted it access. His hand grasped her behind the neck and pulled her up into a sitting position. 

Finally yanking away, Ana gasped for air, as did JC. Chuckling, they leaned against each other and remained in silence until JC had to leave. As he walked out and Ana ran her hand through Tajo’s coat, she smiled. All the frustrations of the day had walked out the door with him. He was the only person capable of taking all her worries away without trying. He simply made her days brighter. 

----

Hours later 

Vamos Tajo, adentro,” Ana commanded as she walked into the house later that night. She was frustrated, tired, and irritated. The second half of dance rehearsal had been horrible. Everyone was tired and making stupid mistakes. Rick was on a power trip, so she knew she’d be extremely sore tomorrow. Then, her meeting with Ruben for vocal arrangements had been a disaster. Her voice was simply not working with her. Her already thinning patience had disappeared. 

Sighing, she unhooked Tajo from his leash and he went barreling through the house. Making her way to the patio door, she let him out to run off some energy. Checking the voicemail and the mail on the hallway table, she grabbed an apple from the kitchen. 

...I’ll see you at home tonight 

She heard the end of JC’s message on the answering machine. She felt her heart flutter at the mention of ‘home’. It excited to think of the time they’d be spending together here. JC would be in LA for some time recording before flying back to Orlando to finish up tour rehearsals with the tour starting in less than two months. 

She, too, would be in LA for the next month helping Christina finish up her album and finishing up tour rehearsals. She was going on her Latin American tour in about 5 weeks, so she was very excited. Bringing Tajo back into the house, she locked up downstairs and made her way upstairs to shower. Despite the fact that she was glad to be home and couldn’t wait for JC to get home, she was frustrated. Her tour was weeks away and she felt completely unprepared. Add to her plate her first music production with Christina’s album and moving; Ana’s every nerve was frayed. 

~thump~ 

“What the hell?!?!” she exclaimed as her body went flying to the floor. Her knees collided with wooden floors, and she was able to get her hands out in front before her face met the floor. Turning around to find what she’d tripped on, she saw red. She was pretty sure her nostrils flared and smoke poured out her ears. Grabbing the offensive items, she threw them against the opposite wall before banging her fists on the floor in frustration. 

“Dammit, JC! Shoes! Shoes! Shoes! Shoes!” she accented each word with a fist pound. Gathering herself upright, she looked around the bedroom and her anger heightened. The bed had been left unmade. Clothes were scattered around the sitting area and the bed. A used towel lay across the foot of the bed. 

Huffing, she marched around the bedroom picking up stray articles of clothing and placing them in their rightful place. In her fit, she didn’t hear the door open downstairs nor the footsteps nearing the bedroom. 

“Honey, I’m ho…” a cheerful voice stopped mid sentence upon seeing her stomping around the bedroom. Letting out a low whistle, JC knew he was in trouble. He stood in the doorway and finally she whirled around and spotted him. 

“Baby…let me explain,” he began as soon as he saw the fire in her golden eyes. 

“No, let me explain something to you,” she spoke in monotone firm words. “I am sick and tired of you leaving your shoes everywhere in this damn house. It’s like a big joke to you. Every day I nearly bust my ass walking into them, and today, oh today is just it. Look at my knees, Josh, they’re bruising!” 

Looking down at her knees, JC spotted two rather large and already-darkening spots. Internally wincing, he took a step towards her. 

“No! Just please, leave me alone right now. You were here majority of the day and you couldn’t make the bed or put up your clothes. Then I come home to not only this mess but to your shoes in the doorway. I just…please, just let me be for a while,” she held her hand up to stop him in his tracks. 

“Ana, baby, I’m sorry,” JC attempted to apologize. 

“Please, don’t. You’ll do it again, Josh. This isn’t the first mention of shoes, so please, spare me,” she coldly laughed before walking into the bathroom and locking the door behind her. 

JC stood close to the bed, that’s as far as he’d made it before Ana had stopped him. Looking around the room, he grimaced as he observed his mess. He felt a nudged on his hand that caused him to look down. Tajo stood next to him looking around the room, skeptically. 

“Yeah, boy, I really messed up with mama this time,” JC spoke softly, scratching behind Tajo’s ears. As if agreeing, Tajo whimpered softly. Taking a deep breath, JC began to move around the room picking up after himself. In the hour or so it took him to clean up, Ana did not come out of the bathroom. Assuming he was probably in the doghouse for the night, JC gave up and moved downstairs to the spare bedrooms. 

“I love you, goodnight,” he spoke into the bathroom door before leaving the bedroom. 

Way to go Chasez. 

---- 

April 1, 2001

Beverly Hills, CA 

“Ladies and gentlemen, tonight, we are gathered here to honor some pretty incredible individuals. Normally, all of our honorees are known simply for their work – singers, actors, actresses, comedians, and politicians. But, tonight, they’ll be known for their heart and their generosity. Our first presenter of the night has left me speechless. And, I haven’t even begun to name her achievements; I simply saw that dress,” actor James Marsden spoke from his place at the podium. Looking out into the crowd, suit and ties and ball gowns chuckling at his joke greeted him in return. 

“She is not only a superb singer-songwriter, but we add dancer, actress, philanthropist and humanitarian to her resume. Please join me in welcoming the very talented and absolutely stunning, Ana Mora,” he continued before stepping off to the side and clapping along with the audience. 

“I thought she was pissed with you,” Chris mumbled towards JC as they clapped and watched Ana walk out and towards center-stage. 

“Me too,” JC replied. She’d been gone early this morning, and she’d ignored all his calls and messages throughout the day. He knew he’d really messed up, and he understood what kind of pressure she was under. If anything, he knew it better than anyone else and that should’ve made him more sensitive to her. But, no, he had his head so far up his ass that he’d failed her. 

He couldn’t fight the smile that graced his face seeing his now live-in girlfriend standing up on stage looking as stunning as she did. His eyes glanced over at the women at his table, and none of them compared to his beauty. Britney was joining Justin this evening, and not ever her beauty came close to Ana. Ana was a beauty in a league of her own. 

“Thank you, James. I greatly appreciate it,” Ana’s voice was picked up by her microphone. She took her place, and smiled warmly at the crowd. The spotlight danced off her purple strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline and a pencil skirt, her diamond jewelry and diamond-studded heels sparkled brightly. 

“Good evening everyone. I am blessed to have the privilege to honor great individuals tonight. Every time I have the opportunity to grace a stage, I am reminded of the influence that I have over the people in the audience. As public figures, we have such a power in our hands to do good and to encourage good. I cannot begin to describe the amazement that I feel when I hear about the good deeds of these individuals. I know them as my friends, as my peers, and as my inspirations. You know them as singers, dancers, performers, and occasional comedians. But, you see, I also know them as wonderful human beings. They have hearts the size of giants. They have souls brighter than any star,” Ana spoke with eloquence, but there was a slight hint of emotion in her voice. She paused and looked around the banquet hall. 

“Children are our future, and there is such a need to support organizations that aim to brighten up the lives of our future. The guys of NSYNC – Justin, Chris, Joey, Lance, and JC – founded Challenge for the Children, a charity basketball game to raise funds for a myriad of children charities. Every summer, they recruit individuals from all realms of entertainment to come together for some fun. What more perfect way to do good than to have fun? Take a look at the wonderful things that these five regular, yet sensational individuals with bigger hearts than anyone else I know dedicate their time to,” Ana spoke before the lights dimmed and a video began to show behind her.

She took this moment to wipe her eyes before tears could ruin her makeup. She stood off to the side and watched the video roll footage of last year’s basketball game, behind-the-scene footage, and interviews with the guys. After a few minutes, as the video cut off, Ana walked towards a microphone stand to the side of the stage. 

“I am not supposed to be here tonight, but I could not give up the opportunity to be here for these guys. I figured I could give up one free night. They’ve been there for me, as incredible friends and as the brothers I never had. I tried to think of a way that I could express my gratitude for their exceptional work with children and I could only come up with one way. Sing a song. Then, I could not think of a song that I would like to sing. And so, I remembered a conversation that I had with Justin and Lance some time ago. They were telling me about one of their favorite songs, and they didn’t realize that it was one of my early songs. So, I’d love to dedicate this number to them,” Ana spoke into the microphone. 

“Guys, thank you for everything you do and I wish you all the luck with your endeavors. Alright, I haven’t sung this in a few years, so bare with me,” Ana said as the piano began to play. The guys sat with huge smiles on their faces, but with question in their eyes. Ana smiled at them before bringing the microphone to her pale pink-hued lips. 

ooooh..... time after time, when im feelin low
something inside of me lets me know that its alright
loves on my side
when the world...seems a lonely place
I've got a dream that wont leave a trace of the blues
I just think of you, baby I know

As the chorus kicked in, Ana slinked her way around the stage. Standing close to the stage’s edge, she serenaded their table. The guys, of course, could not control their antics. Justin and Chris would fan themselves, pretending to be hot and bothered. Joey and Lance pretended to wipe tears from their eyes. And JC, well JC, could not take his eyes off of Ana.

I’ve got a real thing here by my side
someone who needs me holding me tight
and these special feelings won’t ever fade
cause I knew from the start
you put a move on my heart

She made her way back to her microphone stand, serenading the audience. The crowd swayed to the bluesy music and were captivated by the siren onstage.

baby our loves like a melody playing for us
in the sweetest key, you could find the music of life
and when we touch there’s the warmest glow
heat in the passion that heaven knows it’s a dream
just for you, you and me...and baby I know

I’ve got a real thing the love of my life
someone who needs me and he feels me with pride
baby now, now and forever, we'll never part
cause you're the world to me
you put a move on my heart

As the song built up, Ana’s voice grew louder and stronger. Everyone sat on the edge of their seats as she delivered.

I got a real love yes I do, and you're someone baby
you're someone baby, you’re someone that needs true love
and these, these special feelings, time can embrace
baby, believe me this ain’t a dream and sugar
I knew, I knew from the start, you put a move on me
oooh you got through to my heart
you got through to my heart babe oooh

Her attention returned to the guys as they clapped her on.

baby can’t you see, you and I were meant to be
hold me, love me passionately blind, love me til the end of time
hold me, love me ( and dont love go)
baby cant you see, you and i were meant to be
(i want you to touch me babe) passionately blind
love me til the end of time, hold me love me oooh

i want you right here, right now, laying by my side sugar thrill me tonight
i wanna feel you in my arms ohh babe ohhh and u know i love when your lovin me

She bowed as the final chords silenced, and the audience rose to their feet. She joined the applause, cheering on the boys. A small blush rose to her cheeks as Joey and Chris whistled at her. The guys were ushered onstage and she hugged each of them as the audience settled down.  

“Ana Mora! Give it up one more time! Thank you!” Joey’s voice filled the hall as he was handed a microphone. Ana smiled and waved once more. She knew it would be the boys’ turn to perform before being presented with a plaque for their doings, so she bowed out and stepped off stage. She continued to cheer them on until she was backstage.

Stagehands quickly ushered her to the backstage press area. Waiting for her turn to go on the platform, she smiled as she saw the boys rush offstage and head towards a dressing room. A smile automatically covered her mouth, and she braced her eyes for the ambush of flashing lights. 

“Ana! Ana! Ana!” The photographers called for her attention. She tried to turn to every one of them, but there were too many. She maintained the smile on her face, but her body was on automatic. She felt numb to time as it passed by. She was doing this out of habit. 

In that moment, in front of hundreds of reporters, photographers, and fans, Ana was hit a realization that chilled her body to the core. It brought a tremble to her fingers, and a quiver to her insides. Her heart skipped a beat, and her lungs struggled to take a deep breath. 

For the first time in more than five years, she didn’t crave this life. She didn’t feel the same excitement in her veins. The same anticipation was absent. Her body was here, but her mind and heart were elsewhere. They were up in that house in the Hollywood Hills that awaited its owners to return. 

To fill it with love once more.

 

****

Song Credit:

"You Put A Move on My Heart" -- Tamia

End Notes:
review! review! review! review! pls! pls! pls! pls!
Chapter 19: Don't Stop by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:

figured I'd update this before #AwesomeAugust began...2 days people! 2 days! Whoo! Here's part one...

Review! Review! Review! Review!

“I’m sorry” arms wrapped around her slim waist from behind as she stood at the kitchen counter, drinking a glass of water. She’d just walked in from the event about twenty minutes earlier. She’d hoped that he would be home once she got there or for him not to be too long. A small smile tugged at her lips before a soft sigh released all the tension that she’d carried on her shoulders lately. 

“No, I’m sorry,” she replied, twisting in place. She knew that she needed to apologize for her behavior. Now, she faced the handsome face of her boyfriend, who stood there in his evening suit. His smile, the only smile that had the power to bring life to sleepless eyes and peace to a restless soul, greeted her. 

“I think we’re both sorry,” he quietly declared, taking one hand from her waist to caress the side of her face. She, leaning into his touch and allowing her eyes to flutter shut, grabbed the belt loops at his side. 

“I shouldn’t have gone off on you the way that I did. You didn’t deserve that,” she explained, her voice equally soft. 

“I should’ve been more considerate. You’re not my maid, and I know better,” he replied. Locking eyes, they spoke multitudes to each other. No words were needed. Finally giving into her exhaustion, she leaned her forehead on his chin and wrapped her arms around his waist. 

“You look beautiful tonight,” he spoke against her hair, gently caressing her waves. He felt her smile against his skin, and he imagined the slight tint of a blush high on her cheekbones. 

“You’re quite smashing yourself, stud,” she giggled quietly. She could never take a compliment from him or anyone without being completely embarrassed by it. Being in this industry, it’d be so easy to get a big head and become quickly used to being complimented or praised. But, not her. She was easily embarrassed, and always quickly diverted attention away from herself. 

“Thank you for tonight. It made it so much more special to have you there,” he spoke, moving both hands to cup her face, bringing her eyes to meet his. 

“It was the least that I could do. I acted like such a brat, I’m sorry,” her eyes shifted downwards once more. 

“You know, you left before you and I could celebrate my honor,” a mischievous smirk followed. 

“I’m here now” came the response, accented with a wink. 

Tugging on her hand, he led them out of the kitchen and out into the foyer. The click of her heels echoing in the silence of the night. Silently, she allowed him to lead her up the stairwell, stopping only to set the house alarm before continuing into their bedroom. 

“Josh, where’d you sleep last night?” Ana asked as she sat down on the bed. 

“Downstairs,” JC replied shrugging off his suit jacket and hanging on the back of the lounge chair in the corner of the room. 

“Can you promise me something?” she asked. JC nodded before continuing to loosen his tie. “Let’s never go to bed angry, and let’s never sleep in separate beds. My grandma always told me it was never good.” 

“I promise you, muñeca,” JC smiled tenderly, placing a kiss on her forehead as he leaned over her, forcing her to fall back on the bed. 

Muñeca? Where’d you pick that one up?” Ana cocked an eyebrow, hearing his new term of endearment. 

“Well, I figured I might want to learn Spanish if you’re gonna take me to Mexico in December,” JC shrugged, leaning his weight on strong and defined arms. 

“You’ve been learning Spanish?” she incredulously asked. The happiness that coursed through her body was indescribable. 

“I picked up some books and CDs, no big deal,” JC brushed off. Not thinking possible, he saw Ana’s smile grow wider and brighter. With a slight giggle, she pushed him and rolled him over. Landing atop him, her legs embraced his slim hips. Her lips met his own, caressing them with passion and fervor. 

His hands quickly finding their way to caress her silky smooth legs, pushing her skirt up higher as his hands slid up further. As his hands caress her behind and back, his fingers quickly found the top of the zipper. Pushing his lips away from her lips, he massaged the column of her neck. 

“You know, I’m all for dressing in comfort and relaxation. But, could you possibly wear heels more often?” he mumbled against her skin. Ana giggled and nodded in silence. “I mean, all this just looks even more wonderful high up, all perked up.” 

He slipped the zipper all the way down; his hands moved over her bottom, giving them a firm squeeze. He patted her thigh, signaling for her to stand up. So, she did. 

Standing himself, JC turned off the room light and snapped the lamps on. A soft glow blanketed the room, causing their shadows to dance on the far wall. Discarding his tie and un-tucking his dress shirt, JC made his way back to where Ana stood still. It started with a kiss, just a mere grace of his lips and her lips. Followed by another and then another and then everything began to unravel. Sometimes, like this moment now, Ana wondered how JC always knew what she needed. The piles and piles of worries that scattered her life disappeared with his every touch. 

Slowly easing the dress from her frame, followed by her panties, she stood naked except for her heels. Making use of her hands, she finished undressing him before allowing him to push her back onto the bed. Deliberately, he took his time devouring every corner of her body. Teasing and taunting her frayed nerves. Unable to wait any longer, Ana rolled them over. Perching herself on top, she pinned his arms to the mattress next to his head and proceeded ravaged his lips, his cheeks, his neck and chest. 

Easing herself down on him, a sign of content escaped her lips as her head lulled back. She stilled, reveling in the feel of being complete. He filled her every void, entirely and wholly. He was trying so very hard to give her the reigns and let her make the next move. Looking up at her on him, filled with him, he watch her facial expressions. It was as if she completely content with simply feeling him in her. 

“Whenever you’re ready baby…” he softly spoke. As if breaking her reverie, her head snapped back and her eyes, wide open, locked on his. With a slight smirk, she rotated her hips lightly, drawing a deep groan from JC. His hands settled on her bare thighs as she continued her sweet torture on his body. 

Surrendering to the night, to the desire, and to the euphoria, the couple filled the nighttime air with grunts and moans. Their shadows danced along the wall and their deep sighs became the breeze of the night. Ana, perched up high, was insatiable. JC was able to hold out for her as she switch her rhythm, her pace, and her fervor continuously – electrifying his body with sensations that no other woman had ever made him feel. 

Quickly, he could feel the familiar coiling begin at his toes and begin to rise. Watching Ana, he knew that she wasn’t near being at her peak, so he tried to roll them over, but she would not budge. 

“Let me finish us off, catch your breath,” JC pleaded, biting his bottom lip and moaning as Ana bounced on him. Her tightness squeezing his mercilessly. 

"Don't stop me now, don't need to catch my breath, I can go on and on and on..." she breathed, leaning her breasts on his chest and beginning an assault on his neck and chest. The change in angle quickly brought her to the edge, as he pushed against her weakness over and over again. Sitting upright, her bounces began frantic and faster. 

"Don't stop me now, don't need to catch my breath, I can go on and on and on..." she repeated. And, in a burst of light and feeling, the breathy command filled the void between the sheets. Arching off the bed, JC gripped her hips as he stiffened and shuddered in release. 

“Ahhh…” her screams bounced off the glass windows. Finally, she sank onto his chest, savoring the feeling of skin on skin, and his hands exploring her body. 

"I love you.”  

"I love you, too." 

"You plan on sleeping up there?"  

"Definitely."  

"Okay."  

Pulling a cool sheet over their bodies, JC reached over to snap off the lamp. And so, they slept, hearts thumping in tune with one another, taking the same breaths, and dreaming the same dreams. 

## Days later ## 

“Josh, is that you?” Ana called from her spot on the couch in the living room. She’d heard the front door open and close, but JC usually announced his arrival. 

“No, it’s Tyler,” she heard, twisting her head around, she was greeted with the sight of JC’s brother. 

“Oh hey! How are you?” she exclaimed, beginning to shove paperwork off her lap to stand and hug him. 

“No, don’t move, I’ll come around. I’m good, how are you doing?” Tyler commented, leaning down in front of Ana, he wrapped his arms around her before taking a seat on another couch. 

“I’m good, busy but good. I’m working on some things for the tour now, and then I had rehearsals later but they got cancelled. What brings you to town?” Ana pushed her glasses up on top of her head, where a messy bun sat. 

“I’m looking at schools out here,” he replied. 

“Oh, that’s great! I hope to go back to school one day.” 

“Where’s Jace?” 

“That’s a good question. I believe he said he some fittings to do this morning for the awards show tomorrow, but he wouldn’t take long. He should be home soon,” as if he’d heard the conversation, JC walked into the room at that precise moment. 

“Sup brother, how was your flight?” he grinned, excited to see his brother. They did their manly handshake and half hug before JC leaned over to kiss Ana. 

“It was good, not bad,” Tyler replied, taking his seat once more. 

“You staying a while, right?” 

“Until you guys get tired of me,” Tyler kidded. 

“I’ll be in and out of town, but I doubt you’d ever tire me,” Ana winked playfully, focusing back on her paperwork. 

“I invited Bounce and Lucky to come over later for a cookout,” JC announced looking over at Ana, who’s head snapped up. 

“I need to clean the house,” was her automatic reply. Shoving her paperwork aside, Ana ran out of the room before the guys could say another word. 

“Umm…is that normal?” Tyler asked, getting over the slight surprise of seeing her reaction. JC laughed, shaking his head. 

“Not at all, not ever. Let me go settle her down and we’ll all go out and get things for later,” JC chuckled, walking out of the living room in search of Ana. 

“Ana, baby, where are you?” JC called down the hall towards the kitchen. No reply. Making his way upstairs, he was nearly knocked off the stairs as Ana flew by. He was able to stop her as she zoomed by. 

“Josh, I need to clean the house,” Ana whined trying to get away from him. 

“Ana, I cleaned it yesterday while you were away. Just relax. How about you go change and we’ll go get food and drinks with Tyler?” JC soothed, moving them upstairs and to their room. 

“Are you sure you cleaned everywhere?” Ana questioned with a slight pout on her lips. 

“I promise you. Now, get dressed,” JC ordered, closing the door behind him. Chuckling to himself, he made his way back downstairs to wait for her to be ready. 

“So only Justin and Chris are coming over?” Tyler asked, stepping out of the kitchen with a bottle of water. 

“Are you kidding me? As soon as I invited them, twenty other people were invited,” JC laughed, slapping his brother on the back.

“Let me go make sure the pool is clean and stuff.” Making their way outside, the Chasez brothers chatted and got caught up as JC took to cleaning the little bits of debris in the pool. 

“So, how many people are we really expecting?” Ana asked Tyler as she walked up behind him. Shoulder to shoulder, they watched JC continue to clean the pool. 

“Didn’t buy the just Justin and Chris, huh?” Tyler chuckled, looking over at Ana. 

“Not for one second,” she quipped. 

“About twenty additional people,” Tyler replied. Nodding, Ana called JC so they could head out. 

“Glad I have to fly out tomorrow, you two can clean up,” Ana joked as they walked back through the house and out to the car at the front. 

“Hardy har har, pumpkin,” JC joked, climbing into the driver’s seat. Buckling in, they pulled out of the windy driveway and headed towards the local grocery store. 

“You know Justin’s gonna bring Britney, right?” Tyler spoke from the back seat. 

“Yep,” JC replied. 

“And you know they’re gonna get shitface drunk, right?” Ana quipped. 

“Yep.” 

“And you know they get horny drunk, right?” 

“Yep.” 

“You’re gonna get a shitload of alcohol, right?” 

“Yep.” All three laughed, before Tyler went quiet in thought. 

“Why does alcohol make people horny?” 

“I don’t know, ask Ana.” 

“Ass.” 

“Later.”

End Notes:
Hope it makes your day better, Mack! Review! Review! Review! Review!
Chapter 20: Have We Met? by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:

#AwesomeAugust wore me out...and #Pop!Tober is coming up...eek! i'm ready tho! bring it!

July 5, 2001

Houston, TX 

 

She could breathe, finally. Her tour was over, and she wasn’t due in a studio or movie set or photoshoot for a good while. With her backpack resting on her tired back, she slipped on her shades and waited for her turn to exit the aircraft. With a tired smile on her face, she thanked each flight attendant on her way out. Finally, emerging into the hot and humid Houston mid-morning heat, Ana made her way across the runway towards the black, heavily-tinted SUV that sat a few yards away. 

“Waiting on someone important, Lex?” she good-naturedly teased one of her bodyguards, Lex Newport as she neared him. He stood, stoic and unamused, beside the passenger door to the SUV. He’d been one of her many bodyguards for almost two years now, but he usually only joined her when she toured. 

“Just my bratty assignment,” he was quick to retort. Drawing a slight chuckle from Ana, his face broke into a small smile. 

“Well, I’m glad that becoming a daddy hasn’t hurt your rudeness,” she retorted, playfully slugging him in the arm. In return, his smile grew and Ana smiled along with him. She knew for a fact that his daughter’s birth had softened him. He stepped to her and wrapped a protective arm around her shoulders in a sideways hug. 

“Speaking of which, when do I get to meet little Keira?” she asked, tossing her backpack into the backseat. 

“I’ll let Lori know to swing by the hotel later on, cool?” he asked without waiting for a reply. He shut the door behind her as she climbed into the front seat and walked away to retrieve her one suitcase. Finally, after loading the suitcase, he climbed into the driver’s seat. 

“So, what’s up with the Secret Service car?” Ana asked, settling into her seat. 

“Johnny insisted on me using this so no one knows that you’re here,” Les replied, rolling his eyes playfully at Ana. 

“Johnny is a bit delusional. The guys are in town, of course I’m gonna be seen,” she laughed, adjusting her ponytail under her ballcap. 

“Well, the guys actually aren’t in town yet. They’re driving in from Little Rock, so they’re about an hour or two from the hotel,” Les informed her. His phone went off at that moment, and he answered it seeing it was his girlfriend, Lori calling. 

Ana took the moment to dig her phone from her jean pocket and turn it on. She hadn’t bothered on keeping it on since she’d been traveling for the majority of the day. Once it was powered, she saw that she had a couple of voicemails and text messages. Opting to skip the voicemails, she scrolled through her texts. Some from her sisters welcoming her back to the States, some from her crew letting her know they’d made it home safely, and a few from Chris and Justin. 

Opening a new text, she quickly typed out a message to JC, just letting him know that she was in town and she’d be at the hotel. 

“Lori is bringing the baby by in a little bit. Are you hungry? Do you need to stop anywhere before we get to the hotel?” Les asked. 

“Yeah, can we stop by and do some light shopping? Please?” she added with a pout, seeing Les roll his eyes at her request. 

“Nothing with you is ever quick, but alright. But, wear the cap low and sunglasses, maybe you’ll blend in with the crowd,” Les kidded, knowing he would be the one to stand out. At a towering 6’4, his muscular physique tended to make him easy to spot. 

#### 

“I cannot believe how adorable she is! She’s all Lori!” Ana exclaimed, coddling the tiny one month old little girl close to her chest. 

“Hardy har har, Ana,” Les groaned, reaching out and lightly yanking the ponytail poking out the back of her cap. Lori, a short and slender blonde, laughed from across Ana. 

“I’m kidding Les! Baby Keira has your eyes and your nose,” Ana beamed, patting his knee and smiling up at him. He sat on the armrest of the loveseat that she occupied. 

“Don’t you be getting any ideas, Tiger!” 

“No need to worry, Randall!”

“Ouch, not the middle name!” laughter was heard throughout the hotel suite as the rest of the guys filed in. 

“And who is this cutie?” Chris cooed, running a finger along baby Keira’s nose and offering Ana a kiss on the cheek. 

“Guys, this is baby Keira Newport, Les’s babygirl,” Ana introduced them to the now-stirring infant. A small whimper escaped her pouty lips, and Lori sprang to action. Pulling a bottle from her bag, she handed it to Les, who now had Keira in his arms. 

“Hey baby!” Ana smiled brightly, standing and walking over to JC. Greeting her with a smile, he leaned down to meet her lips in a small peck. 

“Hey, how was your flight?” he asked, pulling her to his side as her arm circled his waist. 

“You mean ‘flights’. They were ok, long but ok. Was the drive alright?” she asked, watching the guy walk around aimlessly talking about one thing or another. 

“Yeah, short. Caught up on some sleep, nothing major,” he responded. 

“So, what are we doing? No show tonight…” Chris wiggled his eyebrows and rubbed his hands in anticipation. 

“I’m down for whatever,” Justin replied. Joey and Lance echoed his response. 

“I’m just here as a tag-a-long, so I follow you dorks,” Ana cheesily smiled, receiving some mock glares in return. 

“Well, Randy should be here soon from the airport, so…” JC began. 

“Who’s he picking up?” Ana inquired, tilting her head upwards to look at him from beneath the bill of her cap. 

“Just some friends…” JC was once again interrupted, but this time by a knock at the door. Pulling away from Ana’s grasp, he walked towards the door and disappeared around the wall, blocking their direct view of the door. Ana turned questioning eyes to the other guys, and they all looked just as bewildered as she could guess she looked. She walked back over to the couch and sat on the armrest, looking down at Keira hungrily sucking at her bottle. The guys all scattered on any piece of furniture they could find. 

“Hey! How are you? We made it!” came the squeal from the front door, Justin raising an eyebrow at Ana and Lance, both shrugging. 

“I think we need to go to that county fair that we saw signs for,” Chris announced. 

“Ooh, I’ve never been to a county fair!” Ana replied, giddily clapping her hands. 

“Girl, you from the south. Watchu mean you ain’t never been to a county fair?” Lance exclaimed, disbelief coloring his face. 

“Been to an apple festival and a carnival festival, does that count?” Ana shrugged. 

“No, those aren’t the same,” an unidentified voice announced. Twisting her body around, Ana was greeted with a bleached blonde in a jean mini-skirt, a too-small tank top, and platform sandals. 

“Uh, hi…” Ana started, ignoring the slight-sneer on the girl’s face. 

“Ana, baby, this is Tara, Tara Reid, don’t you remember her from the pool party in LA?” JC asked before motioning to the other two people standing behind him and Tara. 

“No, I’m sorry I don’t remember, but it’s a pleasure meeting you,” Ana offered a hand in greeting. 

“Yeah, you were pretty smashed all night,” Tara snickered, glancing at Ana head-to-toe. Ana’s eyes widened slowly, feeling a bit out of place. Looking to JC for some comfort, his eyes were crinkled as he laughed at Tara’s comment like it’d been a funny joke. 

“Umm, yeah, it was a party. But, hey Mark, hey Ally,” Ana greeted the other two people that had walked in with JC. 

“We didn’t know you were coming out too,” Ally smiled, giving her a brief hug. Ana had met Mark and Ally, two of JC friends from back home some months ago. 

“Same here, I just joined the circus today,” she kidded, subconsciously distancing herself from JC and Tara, and moving closer to Joey and Chris. A thick silence fell upon the group, leaving Les and Lori feeling moreso out of place than any of them. 

“Well, umm, if you’re going to go out, me and the guys need to know so we can coordinate,” Les announced, referring to him and the guys’ bodyguards. Lori took Keira from him, and busied herself with prepping the baby bag for her departure. 

“I think the county fair is a good idea,” Lance replied, receiving several affirmations from the crowd. 

“Alright, well, let me go find the others and figure things out,” Les said, leading Lori and Keira out, but not before letting Ana said bye to them. 

“Well, I’m gonna go get them settled in before we head out,” JC led the group out of the suite. Waiting for the door to close, Ana turned back to the guys. Oddly, she felt embarrassed. 

“Yeah, pumpkin, the county fair it is. Lance and I are gonna show you everything you’ve been missing out,” Justin announced, elbowing Lance. 

“Oh yeah, it’s gonna be great,” Lance jolted to attention. 

“Why’d Jace invite Blondie?” Chris stupidly asked, confusion written in bold letters across his face. Justin and Lance inwardly groaned seeing a momentarily expression of pain flash across Ana’s face. Silently, Ana looked down at her outfit – a pair of Levi’s, a long-sleeve ‘Marines’, and sneakers. 

“Uh, I think I’m gonna go change before heading out,” she muttered, moving away from them and into her bedroom, quietly shutting the door. 

“What the hell is JC doing?” Justin angrily hissed, having waited for Ana to shut the door before standing up and pacing the living room. 

“I don’t know, but Tara. Really?” Lance hissed in return. 

“Man, he paid like zero attention to Ana,” Joey somberly stated. 

“I know, did you see her face? Eighteen hours trying to get here to see him, 10 weeks on tour, and he’s like clueless. I could punch him right now,” Justin’s blazing eyes seared, jaw twitched. 

“Ready?” came Les’s question from the open doorway. 

“Ana is changing clothes…” Chris pointed to the still-shut door. 

“Well, head on down the hall and I’ll wait for her,” Les said, stepping further into the room and ushering the guys out. 

“I’ll wait with you,” Justin offered, taking a stance by the couch, arms folded and jaw set. 

“What’s he doing, Justin?” Les asked once the other guys had stepped out of the room. 

“I don’t know, Les,” Justin sighed and his shoulders sagged. Before Les could continue, Ana stepped out. Her long, lean legs were exposed by short denim shorts, a white button down crisp shirt, white Puma sneakers, shades, and flowing hair. 

“Ready,” she announced, a forced smile that both guys had come to distinguish because the sparkle was absent from her eyes. Nodding, they followed her out of the hotel suite and walked towards where everyone else was hanging out. JC and Mark laughing loudly over something Tara was busy animatedly saying. 

“He hurts her, and I come after you. Understood?” Les hissed falling behind Ana and in-step with Justin. 

“Come find me because I’m going after him,” Justin hissed in return, balling a fist and quickening his pace. Coming up beside Ana, he wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Leaning down, he whispered something to her causing her to laugh boisterously – and earnestly. Her laughter caught JC’s attention, and Justin saw a flash of jealousy flash across his eyes. Catching his attention, Justin shrugged and smirked in reply before stepping into the awaiting elevator cart with Ana at his side. Chris, Lance, Les, and Lonnie joined them, leaving the rest of the party to take a second elevator. 

“Ready for some cotton candy?” he asked Ana, tugging at her shoulder lightly to make her look at him. Smiling briefly, Ana wrapped her arm around her slender waist and leaned into his side. 

“I’m more of a funnel cake kind-of-girl,” she teased. 

“Done deal.” He squeezed her to his side and dropped a light peck to the top of her head.

End Notes:
Reactions? Thoughts? REVIEW!
Chapter 21: Hanging... by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:

Doing these writing challenges is exhausting, but so rewarding! Thank you to everyone that read, reviewed, and loved my posts. I really do appreciate it. Here's a little something, something...

I'm falling even more in love with you
Letting go of all I've held onto
I'm standing here until you make me move
I'm hanging by a moment here with you
 

“Here’s the deal everyone, you don’t walk away from the group and you let someone know where you’re going. Got it?” Mike, *NSYNC’s head security, announced from the front of the tour bus as they sat outside the fair grounds. 

“Should we all hold hands, too?” Chris quipped. 

“Yes, and let me write your name on your underwear too,” Mike retorted, mockingly glaring at him. Chris smiled innocently, successfully irritating Mike before stepping foot out of the bus. The five bodyguards exited the bus before signaling for the group of eight to exit. Joey and Chris led the way, with JC signaling for Tara, Ally, and Mark to go before him. Ana stood to follow them out, but JC cut her off. She stumbled a bit back, but a strong arm caught her before she could fall back onto the cushioned seat. 

“Come on, Smooth,” Justin smirked, pulling her behind him. 

“Cute,” Ana deadpanned, her thoughts occupied with JC’s actions. She wasn’t a needy individual, but she was used to him taking her hand everywhere they went. He was such a caring individual, especially when they were faced with crowds. Following Justin down the bus’s steps, she looked back to see Lance pulled up the rear. 

“Ooh, I see rides and rides and rides,” Ana exclaimed as she looked around the grounds from behind her aviator shades. She was going to forget about JC’s weird mood, just because she might act the same way if her friends were visiting her. Well, she didn’t have many friends, but she was going to take that and run. 

“What’d you expect to see?” came the snobby question from the front of the group. Turning her head to meet the almost-orange face, Ana forced a smile on her face. 

“I was hoping for face paint and animal balloons,” she felt the bitter taste of her comment on her tongue. Typically, she wasn’t all that keen on being a bitch or snappy. But, Tara was not holding back with her dislike for Ana. 

“I’m sure you can get someone to paint you up like a clown,” Tara retorted, and Ana saw red. Taking a step forward, she felt someone pull her back. 

“Calm down, Tiger,” Justin whispered and tucked her between he and Lance. His grip wasn’t harsh, but it was tight around her shoulders. The look on her face reminded him of an animal ready to pounce. JC, clueless to that going around him, led the group with Mark further into the fair grounds. Tara walked alongside JC and Ally kept in-step with Mark. 

“What do you want to do first?” Lance looked down and asked Ana, who simply replied with a shrug of her shoulders. Her teeth were working vigorously on her bottom lip, her jaw deadlocked, and her shoulders tense. Lance looked up at Justin, helpless. 

They continued walking with the whole group, before they all decided to split in two. JC and his friends went off with Mike and Randy, while the rest of the guys and Ana took Lonnie, Big D, and Lex with them. Pretty soon, Justin had found a funnel cake stand and purchased three for all to share. 

“I haven’t indulged in this in like centuries,” Ana all-but moaned as the sugary confection entered her mouth. Her eyes slid close as she chewed and enjoyed her treat. 

“Don’t eat too much or you’ll barf,” Lex warned them all as he saw the funnel cake pretty much disappear in seconds. 

“Yes daddy…” Ana teased, seeing a frown upon his face. She giggled before rushing to his side and side-hugging him. They all sat at a bench, waiting to finish the dessert. Ana was quiet, sitting on the armrest next to Joey. She’d had her fill of the sugar for the time being, so she was looking around at the fair patrons. Her eyes fell on a small little boy pitching a fit at his pregnant mother, or so she assumed. Straining her ears, she could faintly make out the conversation. Standing, she walked over to the pair, ignoring the questioning looks from the guys. 

“Excuse me, I’m sorry to interrupt. But, I was sitting over there with my friends and I heard your conversation,” she began, placing a gentle hand on the stressed mother’s shoulder to capture her attention. 

“Oh, I’m sorry. We didn’t mean to be so loud. Do you see Jake why I tell you that screaming is not good? We’re bothering this young lady and her friends,” the mother replied before twisting it into a lesson taught to her son. Ana couldn’t help but smile, that was effective parenting.

“Well, yes, screaming isn’t really the best thing to do. But, I was actually going to offer to take him on the slide for you. I realize that you aren’t able to with your pregnancy, it’d really be no big deal,” Ana smiled down at the little boy; he couldn’t be any older than three or four. His tearful, yet now hopeful eyes looked from his mother to Ana. 

“Oh, I couldn’t ask you to do that,” his mother was surprised, and her words jumbled. 

“You’re really not asking me. I’m offering to, but it’s up to you,” she shrugged, and gave the woman time to contemplate. Ana looked up and sized up the slide; it could’ve easily been twenty or thirty feet high. The little boy had taken to jumping in place, begging his mother to allow the pretty stranger to take him on the ride. 

“Would you really not mind?” the hesitant mother asked, holding onto her son’s hand. Ana smiled and shook her head. 

“I really don’t mind. My name’s Ana, by the way,” she extended her hand and shook both their hands. The mother stooped down as much as her huge belly would allow her, and reminded her son to be on his best behavior. Finally taking hold of his hand, Ana turned towards the guys, who were all busily questioning her actions. 

“I’m gonna take him on this ride,” she shouted, pointing down to the little boy whose excitement was tattooed on his face. Nodding, the guys signaled their understanding and she was off. She helped Jake take off his shoes at the foot of the slide, and toed off her own sneakers. 

“Are you excited?” Ana asked the little boy as they approached the stairs to reach the top of the slide. 

“Yeah, it’s really big,” his large doe eyes widened as he followed the length of the slide upwards. 

“Yeah, it is. But, you’re a big boy. You can handle it, right?” she smiled, encouraging him as she saw a bit of fear in his eyes. His courage and manliness being questioned, the little boy puffed out his chest and nodded. It took all her willpower to keep Ana from laughing. She kept the dialogue going with the little boy; he was so animated. He told her of how his mommy was going to give him a little sister, and how his dad was working. About his dog, Jackson and his bunny, Nibbles. Soon, they reached the top and stood in line behind the other people waiting their turn. 

“Are you ready?” Ana excitedly shook Jake’s little hand, hoping to get him excited too. But, he didn’t need any help. He bounced in place, cheered, and pumped his little fists in the air. 

“Next!” the ride’s caretaker called, and Ana pulled Jake up with her. Taking a seat at the very top, she reached back for Jake. His eyes were wide with fear. 

“Hey, hey, don’t be scared. Nothing’s going to happen, come on. I’ll hold you tight, ok?” she soothed, her hands gently pulling him to stand in front of her. His eyes followed the slide’s descent before looking down at her. 

“Promise?” he questioned, the innocence in voice tugging at her heart. 

“I promise,” she nodded, and he lifted his arms for her to lift him. Placing him on her lap, she wrapped her arm tightly around his midsection. 

“Whenever you’re ready, just push off,” the young kid manning the ride told her. She nodded and looked down at Jake. 

“You tell me when you’re ready, Jake,” she said, and he nodded. His tiny hands gripped tightly her forearm, and she smiled. This little boy trusted her, a complete stranger, with his well-being. He trusted her to help him have a good time, and to keep him safe. And, she was not going to let him down. Ironic that she, too, had trusted someone to keep her safe. 

“Ready!” his squeal broke through her thoughts, and she laughed. Counting down, she pushed off the top of the slide, and his joyous squeal reached her ears. As they slid down the undulated slide, picking up speed, Jake’s little hands flew up in the air and his screams filled the air. 

“Again! Again!” he chanted as they slid to a stop at the very bottom, where Lex waited next to his mother. 

“No, come on, Jake, one time is enough,” his mother called, waving her hand to him. 

“But, momma that was fun! Please can I go one more time with nice lady? Please!” he begged with a pout on his face. His mother was slowly losing her reserve with him. 

“I don’t mind taking him one more time,” Ana suggested, and Jake squealed. His mother mouthed ‘thank you’ to her before the pair was racing back up the stairs towards the top. This time there was no fear in Jake, only excitement. As they stood at the top of the slide, Ana looked out at the crowd. She saw JC walk up to the boys on the bench with Tara, Mark and Ally. The guys pointed up towards the slide, and they all looked up at her. JC raised a hand in greeting before turning around and leading Tara away with a hand on her lower back. 

“It’s our turn!” Jake’s announcement interrupted her thoughts. Smiling, she led him once again to sit. And with no hesitation, he announced his readiness. Laughing, Ana pushed away from the top and they soared towards the ground below. His laughter and joy in her ear settled the ache in her chest and the worry in her stomach. She cuddled him close to her as they neared the bottom. His childish giggles got the best of him. He could barely stand right, so Ana helped him. Leading him over to their shoes, she sat on the ground with him to help him cover his little feet. 

“Thank you!” he lunged at her, catching her off-guard. His hands wrapped tightly around her neck, and she fell backwards, laughing. Hugging him close and dropping a kiss on his temple, she managed to sit back upright. His mother called him back, and he ran off towards her. 

Ana lifted a hand to wave, and watched them walk away. Sliding her sneakers back on, she stood and joined Lex. 

“That was nice of you,” Lex announced, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. 

“I’m a nice girl,” she retorted, and he snorted. Laughing, they joined the guys and moved on to the next ride. She knew the guys were looking at her with concern, but she refused to let them see her hurt. This was between her and JC, not them plus everyone else. 

“Come on, I want to puke!” Chris exclaimed, grabbing her hand pulling her ahead of the group. Laughter filled the fair grounds, and Ana felt herself filled with joy. She was with her friends, and she was going to have fun, even with a broken heart. 

#### 

“I double-dog-dare you!” Justin challenged, pointing a finger at JC. The end of the day was nearing and the entire group was gathered at the base of the Drop of Doom ride. It was basically a bungee-jump attraction. Ana was ready to go, but she wanted someone to join her. But, they’d all expressed their fear of doing it, although, some of them had skydived not almost a year ago. JC shook his head, and declined the dare. 

“I triple-dog-dare you!” Justin upped the challenge, and the group ‘ooh-ed’. 

“Oh come on, Josh, you already skydived. Just do it,” Ana pleaded, her hand on his forearm as it lay crossed at his chest. He turned his eyes to her, and she could see that he was moments from agreeing to go with her. A spark of hope ignited in her stomach. 

“How do you know its safe? Skydiving, that’s with professionals. This thing, it’s like a death sentence. How do we know the rides are safe at a county fair?” Ana rolled her eyes as Tara opened her mouth. She saw the hesitancy return to JC’s eyes, and this angered her. How was it possible that this bitch had more influence on her boyfriend? 

“Well, then you’d be dead five rides ago,” Ana snapped, tugged her sunglasses off, tossed them to Justin, and turned on her heel. 

“Where are you going?” JC questioned, his voice rising. Ana continued her saunter towards the metal basket that took the jumpers to the top. 

“I’m jumping,” Ana simply stated as she stepped up on the platform. The fair worker began to fit her with her harness, asking her to step into it and tightening it across her abdomen. 

“Ana! Get down from there! Don’t do this! Listen to me! Ana! Ana!” JC began, demanding her return and Ana tuned him out. The other guys were hollering and cheering her on, while Tara stood bored next to JC. Smirking at them, she waved as the basket began its ascent. 

“ANA! Don’t do this! Listen to me!” JC’s exclaims began to thin out the higher the basket climbed. Ana snorted at his demands, who does he think he is? 

The basket jolted to a stop, and Ana grew nervous as she looked all around her. The sun was slowly setting, basking the expansive fair grounds in its orange glow. The bright lights from the rides began to light up, one-by-one. She was eye-to-eye with the top of the large Ferris wheel that loomed a bit ways from them. The worker opened the small metal door for her to step on the edge. 

“Don’t look down or you won’t do it,” he warned as he double checked her harness and explained to her what she would do. Nodding her head, her eyes remained fixed on the large air bag below her. She could see the guys all standing below, and she could spot the blond hair glued to JC’s side. Swallowing hard, she gripped the rails beside her tightly. 

“Whenever you’re ready, let go! The hardest part is letting go, everything else is smooth sailing,” he advised, and she turned golden eyes towards him. He’d spoken the truest words, and he’d probably never know how much they’d meant to her. 

“Thank you” she smiled and turned back. Taking one deep breath, she closed her eyes and her body leaned forward. 

“ANA!” the yell from below followed her rush towards the ground, but she remained silent. Her body lurched and bounced from the stretch of the cords, but she remained silent. She’d been so emotionally charged before the jump, that once she’d jumped, she’d felt relief. She no longer had choices to make or do anything. The view from that tower had been more terrifying than the view from skydiving airplane, but she’d placed her life in the hands of thrill-seekers and trusted them to take care of her. And as she gave up all restraints on her body, and she hung limply from the cords over the air bag with the screams from the guys, she reveled in the feeling. 

Letting go at the top, unraveling of the cord, and the jerk of her harness, they’d all taught her so much. She was okay. She did the hardest part, she’d let go. Everything had unraveled and in the end, she hadn’t hit rock bottom. 

Maybe she wasn’t completely stupid. 

There's nothing else to lose
There's nothing else to find
There's nothing in the world
That can change my mind

End Notes:

and the drama is mounting...

REVIEW! REVIEW! REVIEW!

Chapter 22: Shoulda Been You... by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:

it's all a rollercoaster...remember to review!

Kansas City, MO 

“Hello,” the gruff voice on the other end of the line answered after the third ring. A smile danced upon her face, hearing the voice that could only comfort her like her father’s had once done. 

“Hey Nino,” her voice softly reverted to her childhood years. 

“Ladybug! How are you?” the bass in his voice thumped in her ears, warming her insides out. Snuggling further into the corner of the plush couch of her hotel, she smiled. 

“I’m good, how are you doing?” she asked, nestling further into her sweats and turning off the television. This is exactly she needed after the day that she’d had. It was her fifth day on the tour, and in hell. They’d roll into Kansas City very early this morning, and everyone had gone straight back to bed. The drive from Texas had been long and exhausting for some, but for Ana, it’d been torturous. Sharing a tour bus with Mark, Ally, Tara, JC, and Lance had been no pleasant ride. Refusing to fight for her boyfriend’s attention, Ana had dedicated her time to catching up on emails and some writing. The only thing that comforted her was the hope that they’d only been visiting for a short time. 

“Just getting older, sweet pea, but I’m keeping busy with the Inn. Where are you, today? Are you touring?” his gentle, yet rough voice inquired. Guilt spread throughout Ana, knowing she hadn’t spoken to him in such a long time. 

“Oh, Nino, I’m sorry about not calling. I’m actually in Missouri, right now. Very close to you, and I want to come visit,” Ana apologized, knowing her daddy would be so upset with her for not being better about keeping in touch. 

“Joelle, you don’t have to ask to come visit me. Where are you? Do you have a show? I can go pick you up,” Ana smiled tenderly thinking of her godfather driving his red and white 1978 Chevy pick-up. 

“No, no, Nino, no show. I’m in Kansas City visiting some friends on tour. So, they have a show tonight,” she explained, tugging at her bottom lip, nerves setting in. Suddenly, she was nervous about telling him about JC. 

“Oh, alright then, well when did you want to come over? I’ll have Mary fix up some rooms,” he explained referring to the Inn’s longtime housekeeper. 

“The guys have the next couple of days off before heading to Denver, so maybe early tomorrow afternoon. Would that be alright?” she asked, knowing that the term ‘guys’ would not fall on deaf ears. 

“Guys? Joelle…who are these guys?” on the other end of the line, Arthur Shawpick sat up straighter in his recliner. After a long day of tending to his Inn and his animals, he’d enjoyed a warm dinner with his wife, Annette. Settling in for an evening of television, he’d muted the television set when the phone rang. 

“Well, Nino, there’s some guys that I’d like for you to meet. They’re really good friends of mine, and they’re in a singing group. I don’t know if you’ve heard of them, but they’re name is *NSYNC,” Ana began, her shoulder cradling the phone against her ear and her fingers twirling the hem of her sweatshirt. 

“They sound familiar,” Arthur brushed off, urging her to continue her explanation. 

“Well, they’re five guys, Nino. And, they really are the sweetest guys, and well, they’ve become my friends. I’m visiting them right now for a little while,” Ana went explaining. She continued telling him about each of the guys, giving him a little bit of background on each of the guys. Her godfather remained silent on his end, which caused her more nerves. 

“Will they all be staying, Ladybug?” Arthur asked, not giving any hints to his opinion of her traveling with five guys that he’d yet to meet. 

“Well, I’m not too sure, Nino. I haven’t spoken to them about going tomorrow, I had wanted to speak with you first. But, I’ll ask them tonight and let you know early tomorrow,” Ana reasoned before the conversation shifted topics. Ana updated Arthur on her sisters, and he updated her on his kids and the Inn. It’d been almost a year and a half since she’d last seen him, and she was truthfully regretting it. 

“Ok, Nino, well, I’ll give you a call early in the morning. I’m gonna get ready for the guys’ show in a little bit,” Ana wrapped up the conversation after catching sight of the time on her watch. She had roughly forty minutes before the show started, and she was in sweats. 

“Ok, Ladybug, take care and I’ll hear from you in the morning,” Arthur sent her his blessings before ending the call. Blowing the wind out of her cheeks, Ana let her head rest back. “Now let’s hope JC agrees to go…” she sighed, kicking off the couch and towards her bedroom. 

#### 

“Go to dinner with me?” she was bum-rushed as the show wrapped up, and the guys flew past her in a flurry of sweat and adrenaline. 

“Tonight?” she couldn’t help the wide smile that graced her face as he stood before her with a towel wrapped around his neck and his hair matted with sweat. He nodded, a smile tugging at his luscious lips. 

“Ok…” she whispered before pressing her lips quickly to his and watching him run off down the hallway. She stood there, side stage, with a goofy grin on her face, a twinkle in her eyes, and butterflies in her tummy. It’d been too long since she’d felt this happy. Finally, she was not invisible to him. 

Shaking her head, she began her journey down the corridor towards the exit. Mike would be waiting to lead her, Tara, Mark, Trace, and Ally to the car. Seeing Tara walking up ahead with Trace couldn’t put a damper on her spirit. It wasn’t his friends that bothered Ana; it was when JC completely ignored her for them that she felt hurt. 

Climbing into the SUV, she squeezed in next to Tara. Silently smiling at her, she relaxed into her seat. Alone time with JC was long overdue, and she was beyond excited. 

#### 

Rushing into the hotel room, Ana hurried to change her outfit. Without JC around, she didn’t know how much to dress up or dress down. So, she changed into a pair of dark wash jeans, a black off-the-shoulder lacy top that exposed a band of her toned stomach, and classic black sandals. She heard the suite door open before voices invade the quiet space. Finishing up her make-up, she sprayed a bit of water into her curls to revive them before turning off the bathroom light and walking out into the bedroom. 

“Hey, you ready?” JC asked, walking into the room. Coming up to her, his hands rest at her hips and his lips reach out to give her a peck. 

“Yeah, do you need to change? I didn’t know where we were going, but is this ok?” she questions, stepping back and letting him take a look at her outfit. 

“Yeah, and if I keep checking you out, then we’re not going anywhere,” he kidded, and chuckled as she smacked his arm. 

“Oh whatever, I’ll wait for you outside,” she laughs, grabbing her black clutch and walking out into the sitting area. Justin and Chris were sitting, flipping through the channels. 

“Ooh wee, Tiger, my heart is weak…” Justin dramatically clutched his chest and fell back onto the couch. Chris issued a flirtatious whistle, and Ana laughed. Kicking at Justin’s shin, he moved his legs out of the way and allowed for her to take a seat beside him. 

“Great show tonight,” she commented, crossing her legs. Justin shrugged in agreement, but Chris nibbled at his bottom lip. 

“Eh, I tripped too many times,” Chris stated, very disappointed. Ana reached her hand out and rubbed his knee, affectionately. 

“It wouldn’t be life if we didn’t mess up. As long as no one notices, you’re set. And I didn’t see you trip,” Ana reasoned, leaning back in her seat. 

“You probably too busy burning holes in the back of Tara’s head to notice anyways,” Justin smirked, knowing that Ana was ridden with jealousy. She wouldn’t openly admit it, and he worried. He worried that she would explode at the wrong moment, and things would escalate into something more. 

Ana’s only response was a click of her tongue and a shrug of her shoulders, before crossing her arms across her chest. Remembering the call with her godfather earlier, she turned excitedly to the guys. 

“I don’t know what you guys have planned for your off days, but I’m going to visit my godfather in Rocheport tomorrow. He has a little inn that he owns and some farmland in the town, so I’m gonna go spend some time with him. Y’all are more than welcomed to join me. Get away from the city for a bit,” she explained, and instantly Chris agreed. 

“Yeah, sure, that sounds great. I rather get out of the hotel for a little while,” Justin agreed, and offered to tell Lance and Joey as well. Before the conversation could go any further, JC stepped out of the room, freshly showered and dressed. 

“Come on, let’s go,” he summoned her, extending a warm hand to her. Taking hold of his hand, he helped her stand and led her to the door. Bidding the guys a good night, they stepped out into the hallway and instantly, Mike and Randy flanked them. Silently, the guards kept their distance on the superstar couple as they rode the elevator down to the lobby and walked out of the hotel into the July night. 

“Where are we going?” Ana asked, better grasping JC’s hand as they walked down the sidewalk of downtown Kansas City. Despite the height that her heels added, he still stood taller than her and so her golden eyes turned upwards to look at him. Smiling down, he pulled her close to his side and brought their joined hands up to his lips. 

“One of the local roadies suggested this Japanese place not too far from the hotel, so I thought we’d go there,” he replied, keeping their locked hands tucked into his chest. 

“Great show tonight,” she commented, bumping his shoulder lightly to get his attention. Whenever she complimented him in any way, he’d duck his head and smile, much like he did at that precise moment. With a smile on his face, he thanked her for the compliment before leaning down to kiss her lips. The familiar fluttering feeling returned to her stomach, a feeling all-too-natural whenever she was around him. It was something that she hadn’t felt recently with him, and she’d missed it. 

Hating to break the mood and run the chance of ruining the night before it ever began, she had to ask: “What are Mark and the girls doing?” 

“I’m not too sure,” JC shrugged, oblivious to the inner-battled she’d endured just to bring them up in conversation. Sometimes she didn’t know whether to feel angry or hurt by his oblivion. 

“Oh, alright,” she replied, dropping the subject. As long as they didn’t intrude on their night, she didn’t care to prove for more information. Arriving to the restaurant, JC pulled open the door that read Nara. Quickly, the hostess led them to a back corner booth in the casually, yet elegantly decorated restaurant. 

“I’ve missed this…” Ana sighed, happily sinking into her seat and taking an ice cube into her mouth. JC looked up from his miso soup with raised eyebrows, silently asking for clarification. “Enjoying a dinner with you, and only you.” 

“Well, yeah, it’s been a long time since we’ve been out. With you touring and across the globe, it gets difficult,” he explained before bringing another spoonful of soup to his lips. Her eyebrows raised in slight shock. He’d only used her schedule and her job as the reason for their time apart. Yet, she was the one joining his tour. And, he was the one spending more time with his friends than with her. 

“Yeah, I guess so,” she dismissed. She refused to ruin the night with a petty argument. Taking a spring roll from the plate in the center of the table, she happily bit the crunch wrap. Silently chewing, she felt her foot touch his leg as she crossed her legs beneath the table. 

“Oh yeah…” he quirked his eyebrow at her, and she merely shrugged. With a flirty smile, she blew him a kiss and continued chewing her spring roll. 

“Naughty, naughty…” he tisked with a smirk, reaching out his hand to grasp hers that lay atop the table. She shrugged and smiled, and held onto his hand. 

#### 

“Babygirl…babygirl…wake up,” his rough, sleep-laced voice broke through her reverie. Inhaling deeply, her body stretched out before curling against the warmth of his side. The rough pads of his fingertips ran down the length of her bare back, causing shivers to cover her skin. 

“Mornin’ baby,” she whispered against the smooth side of his neck, the day-growth of his facial hair rubbing against her forehead. Her hand snaked along his bare chest, stopping to caress the sprinkling of hair across his upper chest. 

“You set an alarm?” he questioned, drawing her nude body closer to his, and burrowing deeper under the covers. The cool air from the hotel room chilled their bodies in the early morning. 

“Yeah, I wanted to get some things done early,” her breath spanned across his neck from her face buried in the crook of it. Reaching his hand up to bury in her curls, he tugged at them gently to pull her away. Feeling his grip in her hair, Ana pulled away from his neck and opened her golden eyes. Meeting his turquoise eyes, she saw the mischief swimming in those pools of blue. 

“Starting with me,” he smirked, pushing her lips to his own. Capturing her lips between the cushion of his own, he not-so-gently massaged hers with kisses. Fiery kisses that awaken her senses from the stupor they’d been in only minutes prior. 

“Mhmm, you don’t have to ask,” she groaned against his lips as he rolled them over and his body settled naturally between her strong thighs. Vanishing into an abyss of passion, desire, craving, and eroticism, they explored one another with kisses, caresses, nibbles, and licks. 

Her breathy sighs and moans followed her desperate cries and whimpers as he caused her body and senses to soar. Her body writhed in pleasure, and her back arched to meet his movements. In a flurry of sighs, pushes and pulls, their bodies stiffened and their insides explodes simultaneously. 

“It’s been too long,” she sighed as JC’s body dropped atop hers, spent. Her arms tightened around his upper and lower back, holding on to every last minute of euphoria. The cool AC hardly doing anything to cool their now-heated bodies, so the sheets pooled at their feet. 

“We can stay here as long as we want too. I love having days off,” he mumbled against her collarbone before dropping one, two, three pecks onto it. 

“I talked to my godfather last night before the show,” Ana began, realizing that she’d never mentioned it to him the night before. She’d been so caught up with her date with him that it’d slipped her mind. 

“I’m lying naked on top of you, and you want to take about your godfather. Really?” he teased, raising his head to look at her face. She smirked before playfully shoving his shoulder. 

“Well, I told him that I’d go spend these days off with him and that there were some guys that I wanted him to meet. I told Justin and Chris about it last night, and they were going to tell Lance and Joey. I’d really like it if you came to meet him,” Ana explained, her words quickly spilling from her lips seeing the look on JC’s face. 

“Well, I’d love to go meet him too. But, Anita, mama, I told Mark and the girls that I’d spend these next two days with them. They’re flying out soon. I can meet up with you guys afterwards,” he suggested, and Ana felt her body tense up. Thankful that he’d rolled off of her as he talked, she began to sit up. 

“Oh…well, that’s alright. I mean, I understand. I know you won’t see them for a while,” she reasoned, sarcasm dripping from each word. The tour would take them to California in as little as two weeks; they could visit then. But, no, this just was not enough for JC. “I wish you would’ve told me earlier, and I could’ve tried to plan around that,” he went on to explain, disbelief showering Ana. She shook her head slightly, clearing her mind, before making the move to get out of bed. 

“I just hadn’t talked to him until yesterday, so I didn’t know before. But, don’t worry. Spend some time with them and have fun. I’m gonna jump in the shower then go talk to Mike about getting us a car,” Ana dismissively pecked his lips before rushing into the bathroom and closing the door behind her. Begging for strength, she tried and failed to keep her tears at bay. 

Once under the spray of the showerhead, she lost her battle. The salty tears raced down her face, mixing with the hot water that poured above her head. Giving into the sobs and shakes of her body, Ana leaned against tiled wall for support. Clenching her fists in a futile attempt to maintain grasp of her relationship, it seemed to be quickly flitting from her. 

Willing herself to find composure, she slowly went through her routine until she heard the bathroom door open up and JC announce himself. Rinsing quickly, she stepped out as he stepped in. She saw a hint of disappoint in his eyes, but she steeled her heart. Smiling apologetically to him, she closed the shower door behind him before wrapping her body in a towel. Opening the door to dispel the steam from the room, she washed her face and brushed her teeth. 

“I’ll probably be gone before you’re out, so I’ll see you in Denver,” she announced before exiting the bathroom with her makeup bag in tow. Slipping on some panties and a bra, she rummaged and pulled on her jeans and striped tank. 

“Will you guys be ready to head out in about an hour?” Ana walked out into the living room, and saw Justin and Chris lounging in their sweats. They looked up seeing her showered, dressed, and packed ready to go. She had a hurried look to her eyes, their interest peaked. 

“Um, yeah, I think so. Want me to go get Joey and Lance?” Justin offered, sitting up and turning off the television. 

“No, I’ll go. I need to go talk to Mike anyways,” Ana replied, slipping her makeup bag into her small duffle bag that she carried in her hands. 

“Want us to get with Jace once we’re ready?” Chris asked halfway to the other bedroom and Justin rounding the couch to follow him. Shaking her head and chuckling bitterly, she responded. 

“He’s not going. He’s got plans,” her words bitterly slicing through the air and freezing both men in mid-step. Looking back to her, she couldn’t find the courage to open her mouth. So, she simply shrugged and her lips pursed. They saw the sadness and hurt in her eyes, and the anger towards their friend accrued. 

“Just meet at the elevators in an hour,” she swallowed the knot in her throat before twisting on her heel and heading out the hotel. 

“He’s a fucking idiot,” Chris grumbled leading the way into the bedroom that they’d shared with the two queen beds. Justin didn’t respond, instead he focused on controlling himself before he bum-rushed JC’s bedroom and knocked some sense into him. 

#### 

“Rocheport? Population 204? Umm…Ana, should I be worried?” Chris gulped from the passenger seat beside her. She chuckled slightly, shaking her head at his antics. 

“Yeah, you should be worried of not getting mobbed for the next two days, short stud,” she quipped, reaching out her hand to tousle his hair. He grumbled something about the boondocks and hillbillies before Justin reached from the backseat and smacked him upside the head. 

“Guys, Welcome to Jiggs Inn,” Ana announced after about ten more minutes of driving. The guys craned their necks to look out the car’s windows to the old-fashioned building in front of them. Honking the horn twice, Ana parked the car and killed the engine. 

“Is that my Ladybug I see?” came the gruff voice from the front door. Rushing to his side, Ana sprinted across the front of the car and away from the guys. Launching her body into the much older man’s arms, he held her close, cradling the back of her head in his time weathered arms. 

“Wait til Annette sees you, she’s gonna fatten you up child,” he observed, pulling Ana away from his embrace and looking her up and down. 

“Oh Nino, you always know what to say to me,” she grinned, wrapping her arm around his waist and snuggling into his side as he wrapped her arm around her shoulders. 

“And you guys must be *NSYNC,” Arthur stated, stepping off the front porch with Ana at his side. 

“Nino, this is Justin, Joey, Lance, and Chris. Guys, this is my godfather, Arthur Shawpick,” Ana smiled introducing them. Arthur unwrapped his arm from her shoulders and extended a time-weathered hand to the gentlemen before him. 

“It’s nice to you meet you, sons. It is always nice to get to know the people around my Ladybug here. It settles this old man’s heart,” his heavy twang reached their ears, and caused them all to chuckle lightly. 

“Thank you for inviting us, sir, and for allowing us to stay here at the Inn,” Justin spoke up, the manners that his mother and grandparents had instilled in him. 

“Southern boy, right?” Arthur’s eyes squinted as he looked at the young man before him with a buzzed haircut. A smile spread over the boyish face before a nod followed. 

“Yes sir, Memphis, Tennessee,” he proudly stated, and Ana had to stifle her laughter seeing Justin’s body stand straight and his chest puff out. 

“I can tell, son. Where does the rest of the bunch come from?” Arthur questioned, shifting his eyes to the other three men. Ana kept a close eye on her godfather, knowing that he was going into his interrogation mode. 

“Clarion, Pennsylvania, north of Pittsburg.” 

“Brooklyn, New York” 

“Jackson, Mississippi.” 

“So, I got two Yankees and two Dixies protecting my Ladybug. I don’t know if I should be thankful or fearful,” Arthur’s gruff voice joked, and they all laughed. 

“I can take care of myself just fine, Nino,” Ana sighed, dramatically rolling her eyes and hugging Arthur. 

“Well, now, I just don’t know about that. You sure are poor looking,” a sweet, comforting voice stole their attention. Looking back towards the Inn’s entrance, the group saw an older woman, maybe in her 50s, in riding pants, a polo shirt and riding boots standing with her hands on her hips and a smile on her face. Despite whatever her age, she was youthful and healthy looking. 

“Annie, I am not poor looking,” Ana playfully argued, before a smile broke across her face. The woman at the top of the porch opened her arms in invitation, and Ana jogged the couple of steps to her embrace. 

“That’s my wife, Annette,” Arthur explained to the guys, seeing the confusion on their faces. They all nodded in understanding, laughing quietly as Annette pointed out Ana’s collarbones. 

“I could snap those puppies with my pinkie,” her heavy country accented exclaimed, and the guys laughed with gusto. Finally noticing their presence, Annette questioned Ana of their identity. Flying through the introductions, Annette invited everyone inside to get settled and eat some lunch. 

“Now, which one of these are you dating?” Annette whispered to Ana, as they watched Arthur lead the guys down the hallway to their rooms. Shaking her head, Ana smile softly. 

“He couldn’t make it out today,” Ana explained. 

“I thought they all had days off, ain’t that what Arthur told me?” Annette was confused, and Ana was embarrassed. She didn’t want to have to explain JC’s absence, but she also could never lie to Annette. Taking a deep breath, Ana abridged the story and a deep scowl set on Annette’s face. 

“I ain’t gonna tell you how to live your life, Ana. But, if you ask me, and I know you won’t, I think you need to have a serious talk with that boy. And, while you’re doing that, you make sure that you keep these boys around. Because I can tell they love you and you love them. Now, come on, help me in the kitchen. You’ve got to eat, child. Are you sick or something?” Annette sighed, waggling her finger across Ana’s neck, referencing her collarbones once more. 

“Annie…I’m not sick! And I ain’t poor looking!” she whined, tossing her head back, but obediently following the older woman into the kitchen. Annette simply laughed in response, and continued to the kitchen. 

#### 

With a bowl of Annette’s homemade peach ice cream in hand, Justin walked out to the back porch of the Inn on their second night. Walking down to the end of the porch, he settled into the wooden rocking chair. Extending his legs onto the porch rail, he settled back to watch the quiet night. 

They’d spent all day continuing their exploration of Rocheport before their departure tomorrow morning. Arthur and Annette had taken the past two days off from the Inn to take them around. They’d spent every minute outdoors – hiking the Katy Trail, visiting the local vineyards, horseback riding, and four-wheeling through the Inn’s many acres. 

This is what they’d all needed. The exhaustion of the tour was hardly noticeable when they were always on the go, so to stop and enjoy the small things had been refreshing. Like that very moment, all was quiet around him, the stars were actually visible, twinkling across the black sky, and the cool breeze wrapped itself around him. 

“Why so pensive?” her soft voice broke through his reverie, settling her body on the porch swing next to him. 

“Just enjoying this rare moment of silence. Once we hit Denver tomorrow, it is back to the grind,” he replied, taking a spoonful of ice cream to his lips.

“I told Annette I was taking the whole tub with me tomorrow.” 

“I don’t blame you. All her cooking is just the best,” Ana agreed, sighing and looking out to the dark fields that spread behind the inn. 

“Will Jace’s buds be gone by tomorrow?” he asked, hopeful to not upset her. He watched her bite her lips from the corner of his eye, and her shoulder shrug before she decided to reply. 

“I don’t know, but once we hit Denver, I’m leaving,” she revealed, and he remained silent. His eyebrows raised in surprised, but he didn’t want to comment on that. It was her choice, and he could honestly say that JC deserved this. Silently, he stood from his seat and gingerly sat beside her. She turned her head and looked at him with misty eyes, shrugging her shoulders once more, and her teeth feverishly nibbling on her bottom lip. His heart broke for her and his blood ran cold for JC. Wrapping his arm around her, he tucked her close to his side and chest. She curled up against him, and her fingers curled around his shirt. 

And they sat in silence, just like that. For how long? They wouldn’t know. 

But, Justin swore he felt warm moisture on his chest, and he knew that she’d shed tears. 

#### 

Denver, Colorado 

“Where are you going?” the voice from behind startled her. Jumping, she turned around with a hand to her heart. 

“Jesus, you scared me,” she breathed, willing her heart to slow down. Giving herself a second to regroup, she turned back around and continued folding her clothes from her duffle bag into the opened suitcase on the hotel bed. 

“I’m heading home,” she announced, ignoring the burning sensation that his gaze caused on the back of her head. 

“Home? I thought you were staying until we hit Atlanta next month,” the confusion in his voice almost made her laugh. He really was clueless. 

“Yeah, I thought the same. But, I need to go home. I’m stopping in Orlando first to get Tajo from your parents,” she replied, indifference lacing her voice. 

“Ana, you’ve only been here for a week. We haven’t spent any time together, except for dinner?” he argued, and she couldn’t stop the laughter that bubbled from her belly. “What’s so funny?” 

“I’ve been here for eight days, JC. Eight days, that’s 192 hours, and you’re right. We haven’t spent much time together, but that’s not my problem,” she coldly remarked, dropping a couple of pairs of shoes into the luggage. 

“What do you mean? Why are you acting this way?” he questioned, and she knew that he was growing agitated. When his voice evened out and his pronunciation was deliberate, hell was on the brink of release. She calmly shrugged her shoulder and ignored his questions. A thick blanket of silence enveloped the room, and the temperature seemed the spike. 

“Don’t ignore me, Ana,” he menaced, and his words broke her silence. 

“You must be the blindest man I’ve ever met. I’m ignoring you. Please, don’t make me laugh. I’ve been here for eight days. I’ve been here to join my boyfriend’s tour because we haven’t spent time together since April. But, my boyfriend decides to invite his friends and some hussy along for the ride. And, who’s ignoring who? I’m ignoring you,” she vehemently spoke, turning to face him. The fire in her eyes forced him to take a step back. 

“So, I can’t invite my friends to come visit me,” he accused, incredulously. She shook her head before opening her mouth once more. 

“It’s your tour. You can invite whomever you like. But, do not expect me to stay around one more day and watch that skank throw herself at my boyfriend,” she kept her voice calm, but hard. 

“Are you jealous?” JC stepped back, a smirk on his face. This fueled her rage, furthermore. Zipping her suitcase, she pulled it off the bed and walked it over to the door. 

“You’re goddamn right, I’m jealous. And I have every right to be when my boyfriend foams at the mouth and puddles in his pants every time that bitch breathes his way,” she spoke from the doorway. She opened the door to leave, but his next words paralyzed her. 

“Oh give me a fucking break, Ana. You act like you haven’t been throwing yourself at Justin since you got here,” he accused. 

“Fuck you, JC! You have stood there and let that bitch talk whatever way she pleased to me, and you’ve said nothing. I’m your girlfriend, for fuck’s sake! Justin AND the other guys have been nothing but nice to me, entertaining me as you parade that bitch around here. Or tell me, am I lying? Who did you go to the movies with last night? Dinner? Lunch? It sure as hell was not me,” she raged, her hand gripping tightly the handle to her suitcase.

"You weren't here," he argued.

“Because I was in Rocheport, with the guys and my godfather! And you should have been there! I should’ve introduced my boyfriend AND friends to the only father I have left” she argued, and her voice broke. Hearing it, she chastised herself for being weak. 

“Regardless, you never want to go with us,” he defended, anger running through his veins. He hadn’t cared about her statement, and the meaning behind it. 

“You’re right! Because I want to go with you. I want to be selfish and keep you to myself, all to myself!” she screamed, her patience fading away. She’d hoped to avoid having the entire hotel floor hear them, but he truly was blind. 

“Then we’ll go tonight. I’ll go cancel the bowling trip, and we’ll go out,” he tried to reason, willing to compromise with her in anyway. 

“See? You’ve made plans already and it’s only 9 in the fucking morning. I’ve gone to bed alone every night, and I’ve woken up alone every fucking morning. I don’t even know if you come to bed,” she yelled. Her face was red with anger; her eyebrows arched high, and the veins in her neck protruding. She chastised herself as she heard other hotel doors open behind her. This is what she’d hoped to avoid. 

“So now I’m fucking sleeping with her? Have you forgotten that we were together just days ago?” he challenged, and she smirked. She’d never accused him of that. He’d walked into it all by his lonesome. Whoever of the traveling party stood behind her gasped at his statement, and this only fueled her more. 

“All I know is that you haven’t been keeping my bed warm,” she spat, turning on her heel and walking out of the doorway. The door slammed shut before she heard it pulled open again. Slipping her shades on, she walked with a purpose. She needed to get to those elevator doors before she shed any tears. She saw the other guys standing in their doorways, questioning looks on their faces. She smiled, hoping to soothe their worries, and kept going. 

“Ana, don’t walk away from me,” JC pleaded, but spoke with authority. 

“I have a plane to catch, JC. And I am sure that you have things to get done and plans to take care of. I’ll see you soon. I love you,” she spoke, but never turned around to look at him. Reaching the elevator doors, she pushed the call button and turned to look at JC. He stood in their doorway, hands jammed in his jean’s pockets, lips set in a thin line, and eyes hard. 

The elevator arrived, and he didn’t flinch. Taking a deep breath, she stepped into the elevator and watched the doors close shut. 

“He didn’t move,” she spoke softly to the empty elevator, a lone tear punctuating her statement. Her manicured fingers wiped at the moisture on her face, and she lifted her head once the elevator doors opened. Stepping out, she was glad that she was sporting her sunglasses as the flash from cameras greeted her. There was a crowd of fans and reporters gathered to the right of the elevator. Seeing Mike waiting for her up ahead, she kept her eyes straight ahead. The clicking of her high-heel suede sandals against the marble floors echoed as her long legs carried her forward. 

“To the airport?” Mike asked once she was in earshot, and wordlessly, she nodded. He took the handle of her suitcase, and she adjusted her purse hanging from her shoulder. Taking a deep breath, she followed Mike out of the hotel and into the hot Denver weather. 

“No autographs? No pictures?” Mike asked as he opened the door to the SUV waiting out front for them. Looking back at the hotel, Ana contemplated it but chose not to. She wouldn’t feel right putting on a front for the guys’ fans. 

“No, not today,” she replied before ducking into the backseat, and pulling the door shut. 

En route to the airport, Ana knew that the fans would know something was wrong. Normally, she liked to stop to sign autographs and take pictures, but not today. Today, the fans would know something was wrong. She was sure that the serious expression on her face and her body language gave indications of her current mood. They’d all quieted down when she’d numbly walked passed them.  

She was angry, but moreso hurt at the moment. All she wanted to do was curl up with Tajo on the couch in her sweats and watch whatever was on the tv. Instead, the public awaited her, and she wore white shorts, a coral camisole, a taupe jacket, and matching heels. Heaven forbid the tabloids catch her looking anything but put together. But, she was heartbroken. And, dammit, she was not put together.

End Notes:
review! review! review!
Chapter 23: Jaded by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:

Forgive the grammar errors, I did not proofread. I'm insanely sick, and I'm on my way out the door. Work calls. And, I must answer. I hope y'all enjoy. Review!

“Have you called her?” Chris questioned his younger bandmate as they sat at breakfast early that morning in San Diego. The JC shrugged a shoulder, and chewed his waffle before responding. 

“Nah,” he mumbled and took another mouthful of waffle, dripping with syrup. Chris shook his head and sighed, watching JC nonchalantly continue to eat. 

“Don’t you think you should? She was really hurt, Jace,” Chris pressed on. He hated seeing his friends argue this one, especially when he knew that they belonged together. And, something as petty as jealousy and stupid blindness should not be their demise. 

“Chris, I didn’t do anything wrong. And if these gossip shows have caught wind, it wasn’t because of me. I didn’t let the entire hotel know about it,” JC became defensive, and Chris laughed. Shaking his head in disbelief, Chris leaned back in his chair just watching JC’s face. 

“What?” the younger man asked, irritation lacing his voice. 

“You truly are blind, JC. You really don’t know what you did wrong. Jace, man, you ignored her for 8 days. You guys hadn’t seen one another in weeks. She’s been touring the WORLD for weeks, and hadn’t seen her family or anyone in weeks. She flies for hours to come spend nearly a month with us, and what do you do? You bring Tara around, and ignore Ana. Tara was a snob and a bitch the entire time, and she clung to you at every second. And Ana, well, she bit her tongue just to be around you. And then, she asks you to go meet her godfather and you ditch her. Are you really that stupid?” Chris bitterly laughed, JC stared blankly. 

“Yeah, you are. Her godfather is the only father she has left! Did you not think that she’d want him to meet you? To give her his blessing? It’s been a year, man. She’s been hurt in the past, and you’re only replaying her past,” Chris sat looking as a slow realization crept across JC’s face. Shaking his head, he gathered his plate and stood up. 

“We have a couple days off after Phoenix, think about it,” he stated, patting JC on the shoulder and walking away. Dropping off his plates, Chris turned back to see JC hang his head and run his fingers through his hair. Sending up a silent prayer, he left the breakfast area that’d been set up for them at the hotel and headed back to his room. They had a full day ahead of them, and he needed to finish getting ready. 

#### 

"And in celebrity gossip today: a member of NSYNC may be back on the market.  That's right, ladies, JC Chasez --the soulful crooner of the group-- and R&B singer Ana Mora seem to have called it quits over the weekend. Mora had recently joined the boyband’s summer tour after wrapping up her own world tour. She was spotted exiting a Denver hotel, where JC and the guys were staying in lieu of their show, looking tearful and upset. The usually cheery singer bypassed fans and was heard requesting a trip to the airport. Here at E! News, we love JC and Ana together, and we’d love for this to be false, but sources reveal that that there’s friction between both chart-toppers caused by a female companion of JC’s that also recently joined the tour. Could the sexy Ana really be jealous? Is there anyone hotter than her? We tried reaching both JC and Ana for comment but none of our calls were returned which leaves us to wonder: is it true? For E! News, I'm Trent Rogers..."   

“It’s 11 in the morning, for God’s sake. Isn’t it too early for gossip?” Ana sighed, watching images of her and JC dancing across the television screen in her living room. 

Clicking the television set off, Ana sighed and let her head fall back onto the couch. Her loyal Tajo lay across her lap, and her fingers ran through his shiny coat. It’d been three days since she’d arrived from Denver and Orlando, and JC had yet to call her up. She knew that he was upset with her; they both hated public quarrels, and unfortunately, everyone on the tour probably knew about their argument at the hotel. And despite him being upset, she was far more upset to call him first. And maybe she was being selfish, but she thought she had every right to be selfish. 

After being in different countries and on different sides of the globe for weeks, she deserved some time with her boyfriend. For God’s sake, she’d opted to go spend time with him first before going to see her sisters. It’d been far longer since she’d seen them. And after visiting her godfather, she’d realized that what she was doing was unfair. They were both in the same business, the same commitments, the same restrictions, the same sacrifices, and the same relationship. 

And that’s why she was on the East Coast, enjoying her home and her hometown, and he was touring the West Coast. 

Landing in Orlando, Johnny had provided her with transportation from the airport to the complex. She’d tied some loose ends, and then picked up Tajo from Roy and Karen before heading back out. Glad that she’d left her car at JC’s house, she drove back to Atlanta the same day. And now, here she was with not much to do. All this time off, she had been planned to be on tour with JC, so all her commitments were postponed. The guys’ album dropped in a week or so, and they would celebrate in California. 

“Maybe I should go, what do you think Tajo?” she spoke aloud, looking down at her companion. His large chocolate eyes looked up at her, droopy and confused. 

“Yeah, I’m confused too,” she sighed before easing out from underneath him. Patting across the hardwood floors of her living room, she climbed the stairs to her bedroom. Quickly changing her sweats for a more street-appropriate outfit, she pulled her restless curls into a low ponytail before slipping it through the back of a cap. Grabbing her shades and purse, she jogged back down the stairs, and into the kitchen. 

“Be good,” she playfully warned Tajo, wagging a finger at him. He barked his response, and she giggled before stooping down to kiss his nose. Making her way out her house, she set the alarm and locked the door behind her. Climbing into her car, she prepared herself to make the 35 minute drive to the local studios that she usually used when at home. She liked going in to the studio to just mess around, and sometimes she ran into so many people. It was a good distraction for her, that’s why she refused to get a studio put in her house. She needed a reason to leave home. 

Aló,” she answered her ringing cell phone without taking her eyes off the road, driving up I-85. 

Hermanita, where you hiding?” her sister’s voice invaded her eardrum, bringing a smile to her face. 

Ay Myra, I was never too good and hiding. Don’t you remember?” Ana retorted, switching lanes to avoid the I-285 exit. 

“So true, so true, you poor thing. ¿Que haces?,” Myra questioned, hearing the rumble of tires and highway through the line. 

“Driving to Flyte Tyme, are you in town?” 

“Yeah, I’m down at the fields finishing up a training session. You want to meet up for lunch?” Myra replied, looking around at the players running around the soccer fields. 

“Yeah, te miro at South City at 2. Be careful, besitos,” they hung up, and Ana approached the downtown studio parking lot. Easing her car into the small side lot, she found an open space in the far back corner. Grabbing her purse and setting her car alarm, she walked across the small lot and towards the glass double doors that led to the inside. Pulling them open, she stepped into building and was greeted by elevator doors on both sides. Pushing the button for an elevator cart, she tapped her toe on the marble floors. Finally, Ana climbed into the elevator cart and rode it up to the second floor lobby. 

“Ms. Mora, what a pleasant surprise! How are you?” the young receptionist greeted her from behind her large, black desk to her right. Smiling at her, Ana strode over to the desk. 

“I’m good Alana, and please, it’s Ana. How are you doing?” Ana walked around the desk, and offered the young girl a warm hug. It’d been a while since she’d seen her, and she was glad to see her doing fine. 

“I’m doing alright, just keeping busy. School will start up soon, and with work, it’ll take up a lot of my time,” Alana replied, nervously tucking a stand of hair behind her ear. 

“You’ll graduate in May, right?” Ana took a seat on the girl’s desk, wanting to catch up with her. 

“Yes ma’am, May 24th,” she proudly replied, a wide smile on her face. 

“Well, I’ll keep my eye out for that invitation,” Ana smiled, patting the girls arm, hoping to settle her nerves. She never understood why Alana always seemed so nervous whenever she was around, especially after knowing her for so long. 

“Really? You’d come to my graduation?” the disbelief in Alana’s voice was comical, and Ana shook her head. 

“Of course, you’re gonna be valedictorian! I wouldn’t miss it for anything,” Ana reassured her before standing back up. 

“Oh thank you, Ana! It means a lot to me,” Alana gushed, clasping her hands together, presumably to keep them from shaking. 

“No need to thank me, now, do you have a free studio? Just until like 1:30 or so,” Ana asked, looking at the calendar on the wall that listed artists coming in for the week. 

“Yeah, I think so. Let me check,” Alana spoke, twisting her chair around to bring up studio’s schedule on the computer. Scouring the schedule, she turned back. 

“Studio 3B is open until 2, so I think that should be fine. Do you need me to bring you anything? Snacks, water…anything?” Alana offered, rummaging through the top drawer for the key to Studio 3B. 

“I’ll grab a bottle of water before heading in there, but thank you. If anyone needs me, feel free to go in there. I’ll just be messing around,” Ana replied, smiling warmly at the girl before turning away. Walking down the appropriate hallway, she made her way down towards the assigned studio. Opening the door, a feeling of calmness swept over her as she stepped into the room. To her, any studio was home. Shutting the door behind her, she walked over to the piano that sat in the back corner. 

Taking a seat on the black bench, her manicured fingers ran over the ivory keys. Occasionally, her fingers would press down on one, two keys; a strangled and foreign sound would fill the small room. Placing both hands on the keys, she closed her eyes and let her fingers take over. She didn’t have a melody without sound or words without music; she was just tinkling. 

“I heard it, but I couldn’t believe it,” a voice spoke from behind her, causing her to jump in fright and twist around in surprise. 

“My goodness! Did you really have to?” she questioned, a hand to her racing heart and her body doubled over laughing. The culprit of her fright stood in the doorway, laughing right along with her. 

“I couldn’t help myself. I heard you were in the studio, and I was in disbelief. Ms. Ana, superstar and mega-awesome girlfriend, cannot be around here,” her companion teased, and Ana laughed along. Standing up from the piano bench, she walked over to her visitor and wrapped her slender arms tightly around her. 

“I’ve missed you, Li,” she sighed, embracing her friend of many years. It’d been a good while since they’d seen each other, but they always kept in touch. Having friends in the industry was equally hard as having a relationship, the distance and the schedule conflicts made it so difficult to get together and hang out. 

“Oh, honey, me too. But, tell me, you’ve been everywhere. How are you doing?” her close friend silky, soothing voice made her warm inside. Still embracing, Ana pulled away and wiped away the tears from her eyes before they fell. 

“I’ve been alright, making it,” Ana confessed, not able to lie to her friend of so many years. Aaliyah could always get the truth out of her, and always knew what to say to make her feel better. 

“Any truth in what I’ve been hearing about you and JC?” she asked, leading them over to the chairs in front of the soundboard.

Taking a seat, Aaliyah kept a hold of Ana’s hand, bringing her comfort. Drawing her bottom lip between her teeth, Ana nervously chewed on it, hoping to keep a grasp of her feelings. She hadn’t spoken to anyone about her and JC, even though the other guys knew what was going on. She’d always been so against talking to others about her relationships, when relationships were between two people. 

“You know gossip, they always exaggerate everything,” she spoke, bringing her golden eyes to meet beautiful brown and green eyes. 

“In order to exaggerate, there’s got to be some truth there,” her sultry voice soothed Ana, and she soon found herself spilling every detail. She described every single thing that JC would do and not do, and everything that she would do or not do. And Aaliyah, listened to everything before lending her sound advice. All And truly wanted to hear was that she was wrong, and that she needed to fly back to JC. But, instead Aaliyah told her the opposite. 

“Bias aside, I think you’re doing more for the both than he is. And he’s such a great and sweet guy and I love him, but I also know how he is about his work. That boy can blow the roof off any joint, and he’s an incredible musician, and when it comes to his craft, he’s blind. He’s completely committed to it, so I think what you both need is this time apart. You need to reconnect with your family and friends after being gone for so long, and he needs to realize that if he wants this to work, he’s gonna have to sacrifice as well,” Aaliyah advised, and Ana sighed. This is exactly what she didn’t want to hear, because, well, she missed him. She missed him so much, and all she wanted to do was to be held by him. 

“Li, I miss him,” Ana softly confessed, feeling weak and helpless – a feeling that she was not all too familiar with. 

“I know, babygirl, but it’s a lesson both of you have to learn. You should still talk, but resist going to see him. Let him come to you,” Aaliyah reasoned, smiling gently as she wiped away a tear from Ana’s eyes. Bringing her in for a hug again, she patted her thigh. 

“Come on, I got some time free, let’s go to lunch,” Aaliyah invited her, pulling her up. 

“I’m meeting Myra for lunch at 2, want to join us?” Ana replied, wiping at the few stray tears. 

“Oh, that’s crazy thing! Of course I will, I haven’t seen her in forever. Is she still playing?” she questioned, watching Ana gather her purse. 

“She’s helping train the Dawgs right now since she hurt her ankle, but yeah, she’s still playing,” Ana replied, leading her friend out of the studio and back towards the lobby to turn in the key. Smiling at Alana, the duo waved goodbye and rode down to the entrance and out to the parking lot. 

“You two should come to NYC with me tomorrow. The album drops and there’s a release party tomorrow night at Quo,” Aaliyah climbed into the passenger seat of Ana’s car, and waited for Ana to climb in on the other side. 

“Well, you can ask Myra later, but I’m down. You were there for me, and I’ll sure as hell be there for you. Album is too damn good,” Ana replied, smiling over at her friend. Both singers pulled their shades over their eyes, and settled in for the trip to the midtown restaurant to meet Myra for lunch. 

#### 

“Yo Johnny! Can I talk to you for a second?” JC called out to his manager, as he walked down the corridors of the stadium in Phoenix. He’d been walked with Lance towards craft services when they’d spotted Johnny walking up ahead. 

“Hey Jace, Lance, what’s going on boys?” Johnny asked, after greeting two-fifths of his money-makers. 

“I need a flight to Atlanta after the show tonight,” JC stated, not missing the look of surprise on Johnny’s face. The older man was a bit taken aback, but he quickly recovered. 

“Alright, what for may I ask?” Johnny replied, even though he had a suspicion that it involved a certain sultry R&B singer. 

“Well, without going into detail, I need to go see Ana and make some wrong, right,” JC explained, nervously scratching at the back of his neck. Lance stood quietly beside him, happy to see JC finally taking responsibility with Ana. 

“That’s sounds like the right thing to do, but you’re gonna fail miserably,” Johnny’s voice seemed to taunt JC, and this quickly bothered him. 

“Look Johnny, we have nearly three days off before the Oakland show and either you book me the flight or I book it on my own. I just figured you could get it done and through security faster than I could. But, don’t worry about it. I’ll do it myself,” JC angrily spat before turning on his heel and walking away, leaving a shocked Lance and an amused Johnny. 

“I have no problem with you going to Atlanta for Ana, JC. But, if I let you go to Atlanta, I’d be letting you fail,” Johnny continued his cryptic talk, enjoying too much messing with JC. He’d seen what his actions had down to Ana when she’d passed through Orlando, and Justin had filled him in on what had happened on the tour. Johnny had been truly surprised at JC’s blindness and stupidity. 

“How would that happen, Johnny? Have you talked to her? Did she tell you something? What?” JC stopped and turned back towards Johnny. 

“I've spoken to her, and she’s not in Atlanta. She’s in New York City,” Johnny explained, and he saw JC’s tense jaw relax a bit. 

“What’s in New York?” JC asked, confused. Ana had said she’d be going home, and that’d meant Atlanta. 

“Aaliyah’s release party, Ana and Myra were both there last night,” Johnny explained. 

“And she’ll still be there today?” JC asked, wanting to make sure that he was flying across the country to the right city. 

“Yeah, I spoke with her earlier and they’re staying there for some other events,” Johnny detailed, and JC nodded. 

“Alright then, get me the first flight there,” JC nodded, and shook Johnny’s hand before turning around and walking off. Lance stayed behind with Johnny, and they both watched him stalk down the hallway. 

“He hates not knowing where she is,” Lance commented, looking back at Johnny. 

“It’s as easy as picking up the phone, Lance,” Johnny shrugged, truthfulness in his words. 

“Why’d you have to talk to Ana?” small details like these never went unnoticed by Lance. Johnny shook his head, a tense smile on his lips. 

“Damage control,” Johnny tensely revealed, and Lance’s eyebrows raised in question. “Hard partying last night, they’ve got video and photos.” 

“Oh no, how bad?” Lance sighed, he could feel a headache coming on for his friend. 

“Nothing too bad, no underage drinking caught, but it definitely fuels the breakup rumors,” Johnny said, and Lance felt some relief. With no hard evidence, the rumors could be brushed off and explained with a simple ‘She’s a young girl having fun’ excuse. 

“JC being there will settle the rumors,” Johnny concluded, and Lance agreed. With JC back in the same city as Ana, the rumors would placate. Or at least, they hoped. 

#### 

“Back for Round 2, ladies!” Ana exclaimed, as she walked into the VIP section at Quo for the second night. Last night, the nightclub had been exclusive to Aaliyah’s album release party, and tonight, Ana had invited her back out to celebrate the good reviews and the good sales numbers. 

“Such a relief to have the album out,” Aaliyah clinked her shot glass with Myra’s and Ana’s. Each tipped their drink back in celebration. 

“So, let’s celebrate!” Ana exclaimed, earning cheers from both her companions. After two more shots, the three walked out of VIP down to the dance floor below. Jay-Z’s “Izzo” was playing, and the girls goofed off. They declined dancing with anyone else, staying only with each other. One song rolled into another one, and so on. 

Only stopping to take drink or restroom breaks, the trio danced the night away. As the time neared the early morning hours, they agreed to one more song. Like icing on a cake, the last song to play was a current favorite of Ana’s. At times, it felt autobiographical, like right now. 

Hey j-j-jaded, you got your mama's style
But you're yesterday's child to me
So jaded
You think that's where it's at
But is that where it's supposed to be
You're gettin' it all over me X-Rated


Dancing in a line, they let the Aerosmith song dictate their movements. Myra danced behind Ana and Aaliyah stood in front of her, face-to-face. The three held the attention of every male in the club. Each wore tight jeans with a cropped halter in differing colors. The warmth of the smoky club made their skin glisten and shine, the lights twinkling and reflecting.
 

My my baby blue
Yeah I been thinkin' about you
My my baby blue
Yeah you're so jaded
And I'm the one that jaded you


Goofing off, Aaliyah sang the chorus to Ana, and in their early stages of intoxication, they giggled and laughed.


Hey j-j-jaded
In all it's misery
It will always be what I love and hated
And maybe take a ride to the other side
We're thinkin' of
We'll slip into the velvet glove
And be jaded

“You’re so right! I needed this!” Ana yelled over the music, before twisting her body to face her sister. Rolling her body this way and that way, she grabbed onto Myra’s hips. The seduction between the sisters attracted men to flock to the three ladies. Stomach muscles clenched and relaxed as the three girls let the bass of the music move them.
 

My my baby blue
Yeah I'm thinkin about you
My my baby blue
Yeah I'm so jaded
And baby I'm afraid of you


Breaking away from each other, the three girls grabbed dancing partners. They grind and bumped next to each other, keeping an eye out for the other.

Your thinking's so complicated
I've had it all up to here
But it's so overrated
Love and hated
Wouldn't trade it
Love me jaded


“Let me buy you a drink,” Ana’s dance partner yelled close to her ear over the loud music. Feeling his hands pull her closer to him, she managed to place her hands on his chest. Pushing away a bit, she declined his offer and he offered again. 

“No, thank you,” she said, a bit more forceful this time. 

“Don’t you want to relax and have fun with me, maybe we can get out of here. Go elsewhere,” the tall guy she was dancing with continued, and she shook her head again. 

“No, I’m not going anywhere with you. I have a boyfriend, thank you. So, either you can deal with dancing with me or I’ll find someone else,” Ana declared, her eyes hard as steel. The guys sighed in disappointment and disappeared. Ana chuckled before turning to find another guys dancing close by.

Hey j-j-jaded
There ain't no baby please
When I'm shootin the breeze with her
When everything you see is a blur
And ectasy's what you prefer

Deciding to join him, she took the two steps to him and began dancing with him. Quickly, he wrapped an arm around her midsection and pulled him flush against him. His movements were slow, deliberate, yet smooth. Looking around, Ana saw Aaliyah and Myra each dancing with a guy close by. They had a smile on their face and would occasionally laugh at something their partner would say. Smiling, she focused back on the music, the beat, and her dance partner.


My my baby blue
Yeah I'm talkin' about you
My my baby blue
Yeah I've been thinkin' about you
My my baby blue
Yeah you're so jaded
Baby
Jaded
Baby
You're so jaded
'Cause I'm the one that jaded you 

#### 

“Y’all have a good night! See you in the morning!” Ana drunkenly exclaimed as she pushed opened the door to her hotel room. She waved to Myra and Aaliyah, as they each disappeared into their rooms. Without bothering to turn on the lights, she kicked off her pumps and wander further into the room. 

Her fingers clumsily released the button on her jeans, and pulled down on the zipper. Pushing them off her hips, she reached down to pull the legs down. Bent over and pulling at the leg of her jeans, her body froze. Her senses sobered, and her nose perked. 

That smell. She knew it. It belonged to him. 

Pulling her jeans off, she felt around for a lamp and found one for to her. Flicking it on, her breath caught in her throat. There, lying on one side of her bed, JC was curled up. He was asleep and oblivious to her presence. 

“Oh Jace, you came…” she tearfully gasped, before covering her mouth. She didn’t think it prudent to wake him up, but she wanted to. He’d had a show that night, and he’d flown here. Tossing her jeans on the chair in the corner, she quietly walked over to him. Settling on her knees on the carpet close to his head, she reached out a hand. Soothing back his hair, she smiled when he didn’t move. 

“You sleep like a rock,” she bemused, before deciding to peck his pouty lips. One peck, nothing. Two pecks, nothing. Three pecks and some pressure, she felt his long lashes brush against the top of her cheek bones. Pulling away, she watched his eyes blink before settling his beautiful shades of blue on her face. A small smile tugged at his lips as his large hands reached out for her. 

“I’m so sorry,” his voice broke from the sleep, and he cleared his throat before trying it one more time. She smiled, and nuzzled her cheek into his hand. Closing her eyes at the feel of his warmth, she smiled and felt a tear moisten her cheek. 

“It’s ok, it’s all ok. You’re here, and that’s all I wanted,” she confessed, leaning back to kiss his lips. Rolling onto his back, he wrapped an arm around back and brought her body to rest atop his. Pulling away from her lips, he looked ready to dive into a speech. But, her finger shushing his lips stopped him. 

“We’ll talk in the morning. Let me just have tonight,” she pleaded, and he breathed deeply. Giving into her request, he silenced any more chatter with his lips. His hands smoothed down her sides, over her hips, across her panty-clad bottom, and over her bare, smooth thighs. Chill bumps raised over her skin and beneath his fingers. With a need to protect her, he stood with her still in his arms, and pulled the covers down on the bed. Her arms wrapped around his neck, she watched with wide eyes as he eased back onto the bed and pull the covers over them. 

“I love you,” he mumbled, his lips connected to hers. 

“I love you, too,” she replied, giving in to the synchronized sweet torture of his lips, his hands, and his body. This was all she’d ever begged for, just to feel with him and for him.

End Notes:

Aaliyah -- our earthly angel, gone too soon. This story has been developing in my mind for years, and despite her death, I could not leave her out of this. She'll play a huge role in the future for Ana, so I couldn't not keep her in the story. I hope y'all review. Leave me some love. It really does fuel our writing.

Much love!

Chapter 24: Knight in shining armor... by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
Can you believe it? Because I can't! Forgive me for I have sinned! I've kept you waiting for so long. I'm sorry!

New York City, July 2001 

The next morning, the sunlight beamed and danced joyously over the slumbering bodies lain in the bed’s center. Crystal clear eyes flew open, the brightness against his lids shaking him from his sleep. He rejoiced in once-again feeling the familiar soft weight against his side. Shifting his eyes downward, he shifted his neck to get a good look at her face. 

She lay on her side, resembling a resting angel with her sprawling hair serving as her glowing halo. Soft sheets and a soft blanket engulfed her body in warmth as she snuggled closer to his side, tucking her body into his every available crevice. One hand tucked under her head, tucked under his arm and her other arm rested on his chest, fingers splayed. His hand reached out towards her face, tracing her features with a feather-like touch. His thumb lingered on her closed mouth, shaped into an adorable and permanent pout. 

He continued watching her, allowing his touch to catch her freefalling slumber. He knew he had a lot of ground to cover, and, unfortunately, he was on a schedule. He was due back on the West Coast to continue the tour. He’d been a complete blind idiot, and he was intent on making it right. He needed to make it right. 

With a great big deep breath, her eye lids fluttered before her honey-hued eyes welcomed the bright sunlight. Stretching her limbs, she fell back onto her back, again from him. Despite being under the covers, he felt the coolness of her absence against his side through his clothing. 

“Buenos dias,” her sleep-laced, husky voice fell on his ears. He felt warmth in the pit of his stomach hearing her deep, sultry voice. Managing a small smile, he was still cautious of how upset she felt. Normally, they were both two very mellow and chill individuals. But, when ignited, they’re tempers were simply ugly. 

“Mornin’,” he replied, daring to grab hold of her hand. She twisted it, and he feared that she’d pull away. Instead, she intertwined her fingers with his, and he felt his heart settle. Turning back onto her side, she snuggled into the bed and the pillow. Staring at each other in silence for a few moments, he blinked his long lashes and spoke. 

“Want to go catch some breakfast?” smiling at the smile that graced her face, he knew he’d done right. 

“I’d like that a lot, you know,” she mumbled, shifting her eyes down to their still-joined hands at her side. 

“I’m sorry, babygirl,” he sighed, bringing their joined hands to his lips and kissing them. He watched her eyes flutter shut, her lips part with a sigh, and her shoulders sag in relief. 

“I know, Jace, I know,” she replied, lifting her head to peck his lips. 

“I know we got a lot of talking to do,” he continued, and felt her nod against his chest. Running his fingers through her hair, he inhaled deeply her scent – a mixture of her natural scent and the brown-sugar infused shampoo that she always used. 

“I don’t want to fight” the softness of her plea made him feel like a bigger douche, and his heart broke. 

“We won’t fight. I promise you,” he replied before urging her to follow his lead and get ready for the day. Taking their turn in the shower, they quickly dressed and headed out. Pulling caps low and sunglasses on, they turned out of the Soho Grand Hotel onto West Broadway towards Prince Street. The intense New York July heat quickly warmed their skin; their casual clothing doing little to keep them cool. 

“I should’ve worn shorts,” JC mumbled as he wiped a thumb across his brow, clearing it of the forming sweat beads. 

“Shorts aren’t helping me any,” Ana groaned, looking down at her white tee, short-shorts, and sandals. He looked over at her and couldn’t help but laugh at the pout on her lips. 

“You’re from Georgia, this ain’t heat mama,” he teased her, lightly bumping his shoulder to hers. She stuck her tongue out at him, and embraced him. Taking a cue from Ana’s arm around his waist, he affectionately wrapped his arm around her shoulders. She reached her free hand to hold onto his hand hanging over her shoulder. 

“It may sound silly, but I like when you wrap your arm around my shoulders,” she confessed, looking up at him from under the bill of her New York cap. He smiled at her and cuddled her closer, dropping a kiss on her exposed temple. Turning to look at the passing buildings, Ana pressed her lips to the inside of his wrist. JC felt her soft, warm lips on the inside of his wrist and smiled. 

“Are you up here by yourself?” he asked as they continued walking the three blocks to Prince Avenue. 

“Nah, Myra’s here with me. We flew up two days ago,” Ana replied, shaking her head. Looking around, there didn’t seem to be one photographer lurking but she’s learned that didn’t necessarily mean there wouldn’t be any photographs taken. 

“How come you’re not at the condo? Johnny told me you were here, that’s how I knew,” he answered her question before she could ask it. He’d ran around before leaving the tour like crazy looking for the key to the condo that she’d given him. Johnny had quickly settled him by informing him that she was staying at a hotel, instead. 

“Myra and I were over there, but the paps caught wind. It was just too much, so we decided to move over here. It’s a bit safer, and closer to everything,” she replied. Arriving at the cross street, they turned right onto Prince Street, aiming their destination to Elizabeth Street. 

“I’m glad you know where we’re going,” JC mused as he obediently followed her. She chuckled before shrugging her shoulders. 

“I love New York. I’d love to live here permanently for a while, eventually,” she responded. She was leading them to Jo’s, a restaurant that she’d come to love with time. It was a fun, casual restaurant with great food. The “chalkboard menu” changed daily, but the food selection was always great. 

“I don’t know if I could live here for a long time, but I’d like to stay here for longer than a few days here and there,” JC replied, shrugging his shoulders. 

“It’s partially the reason I keep a place here. It’s sort of my incentive to one day move here,” she confessed. Keeping the conversation light and easy, the couple stayed away from the looming topic that hung dark and grey over their heads. A few minutes later, they arrived to the cutesy eatery and were seated in the back corner. Silently agreeing to postpone their conversation, they waited for the young waitress to take their orders. 

“I know I said this earlier, but I need to say it again, Anita. I really am sorry for hurting you the way that I did,” he began, once the waitress had walked away with the promise to return with their meals soon. 

“JC, how will I know that it won’t happen again? I’ve been asking myself this over and over again. Our schedules don’t seem to coincide anytime soon. You’re on tour for another 6 weeks, then you’ll tour again in the spring. I took this month off because I needed a break, but also because I hadn’t seen you. And, it feels like I’m the only one that ever takes time off,” she confessed, hoping it wouldn’t come off as accusatory. 

“Ana, it’s easier for you to take time off. Things like that aren’t just up to me. I have four other people to think about,” he tried to reason, and she knew she was being a bit demanding. 

“Josh, how is it possible that J and Brit see each other much more often than you and I? It’s the same situation,” she pointed out, negating his argument. 

“Travel times are easier when they’re just on opposite coasts, not opposite hemispheres,” he pled, his hands twisting in his lap. 

“I want this to work, do you?” she kept her voice leveled, and free of crescendos. She did not want to ignite an argument. 

“Of course, I do! I love you so much, Ana,” he pled, his hand reaching out to grasp hers, sitting on the tabletop. 

“I know that, JC. But, love isn’t enough. I love you with all my heart, and I want to say that I do all in my power to spend time with you. I want you to make an equal effort,” she continued, “and making excuses isn’t going to make this any better. Britney’s been touring overseas as well, and yet Justin made it out there.” 

JC remained quiet as he let her words sink in. It was the truth. Justin had chosen to take those two days of relaxation between shows to fly to London to spend one day with Britney on tour. And, Ana had been performing in Puerto Rico. His selfishness had won him over, and he’d slept away those two days. Allowing his head to drop in shame, he didn’t know what to say. He felt like the biggest ass in the world. 

“This is my first relationship with another public figure, Josh. And, I’m going to assume that this is the first for you as well. When you dated the other girls, you were used to them dropping their every responsibility to join you in this fantasy life that we lead. The same can be said for me, except I was on a hiatus when I dated him,” she began, her hands squeezing, softly, his hands. 

“There’s got to be a give-and-take happening here,” her voice whispered, sensing the waitress approaching them. Giving the young girl a soft smile, the couple watched their food place on the table’s surface. The combination of scrambled eggs, bacon, and warm banana crumb muffins sat before them. 

“And I’ve been taking a lot more lately than I’ve been giving. I’m sorry,” his heart poured onto the table like the raspberry syrup that she’d poured over her muffin. “I know that I’ve been selfish, but all I can do is ask for one more thing. Time. After this upcoming month of shows, we’re relatively free until March. Just, please, give me time.” 

His sensible blue eyes pled for her understanding. How could she deny him the one thing that every public figure always sought from loved ones? 

"Time is all we’ve got, Josh,” she consented, and she saw a weight lift from his shoulders. Allowing a smile to grace his lips, he leaned over the small booth table and kissed her lips tenderly. With their cap bills in the way, he’d tilted his face one way and she, the other. 

“Now, eat up! I’m sure Myra’s dying to see you,” she teased, knowing her overly excited sister could always managed to make a fool out of herself around anyone. He smirked, shaking his head. 

“I’ve told you about teasing that poor girl, let up some,” he taunted, shaking his fork at her and drawing soft giggles from her. With a shrug of her shoulder, she replied an ‘oh well’. 

#### 

"Can I just have two peach-filled pastries and two cranberry muffins?" Ana asked the young girl behind the counter of the local bakery that they’d stopped at on their way back to the hotel. JC had suggested they pick up a little something for Myra to enjoy once she awoke, and Ana teased him that he sure knew how to sweep her sister off her feet. The employee nodded as JC stood off to the side, looking into the display case. 

“Could you add those apple cinnamon mini rolls?” he asked, childishly pointing at the sugary pastries in the back of the second row. “

You just ate, you pig!” Ana playfully hissed, smacking his arm. It was always a wonder how he maintained such a small frame; he certainly could pack away enormous amounts of food. 

“Sue me!” he replied, playfully sticking out his tongue. She chuckled and shook her head, and he came to her side. Wrapping his arm around her, they stood waiting for their order to be packed up. Seeing the paper bag of sweets wrapped in wax paper, JC stepped up to the counter to pay for the food.

“I hope you’re sharing,” Ana teased, standing next to him but eyeing the paparazzi who had suddenly appeared outside the small shop. “And we have company.” 

Twisting his head, he looked out the glass doors and sighed. The paparazzi crowed the sidewalk outside the shop, shooting photos. "Fabulous.”

Her golden eyes slowly moved towards the cameras, and she sighed deeply as he turned to look towards her. "It'll be all right." 

There’d been many instances when she’d been caught in hostile environments dealing with paparazzi and fans. And, despite having burly security guards surrounding her, she’d always feared her safety. And, it seemed as if the number of photographers was increasing with each passing second, and he knew that it scared her. He, as gently as possible, spoke to her in comforting tones. Hearing him reassure her that she’d be ok settled her nerves; she knew that he'd do everything possible to never let them harm her. 

“Do you need me to call someone for you? I can get my manager and coworker to help you walk out,” the employee’s voice broke them from their conversation. Smiling graciously, JC accepted her offer. 

“That would be great, thank you,” he spoke, wrapping an arm around Ana, “we’ll grab a cab back, ok.” Within minutes, two men walked out from the back of the bakery and led JC and Ana out through the throbs of paparazzi. 

He took her hand, and thanking the woman behind the register, they exited the bakery. Instinctively, he pulled her smaller body close to his. The crowd swarmed closer, but still remained distanced sufficiently. As the bakery’s employee held a cab for them, the manager kept the imbeciles at a safe distance. When a yellow cab pulled up to the curb, JC ushered Ana into it first before turning back to the two employees. 

“Thank you so much. We really appreciate it,” he said, shaking their hands with gratitude. Ignoring the questions from the paparazzi, he climbed into the cab as well. 

“See, that wasn’t too bad,” he soothed as the cab merged back onto traffic and steered them away from the masses. Clutching the bag of sweets, Ana breathed deeply. 

“I’ve always told Myra that her sweet tooth was trouble,” she grumbled, playfully blaming the sweets for the ordeal. Chuckling, JC pulled her to his side and kissed the top of her head. Tipping her head upward, she kissed his chin gently. Silently, she thanked him for getting her through that. 

#### 

“How long will you be in the city?” JC asked as he lounged on the hotel bed with Myra sitting beside him, intently working on a word search. His eyes would alternate between watching Ana straighten her hair by the dresser and skimming the box of scrambled letters in search of a word. 

“I’m not too sure just yet. Myra said something about having to back soon, right sis?” Ana asked, but getting no response. She was completely engrossed in the word search, so Ana threw her a hair clip to gain her attention. 

“Hey watch it skank!” Myra warned, rubbing her knuckles where the clip had collided. JC snorted, but he didn’t dare laugh. These two were feisty when mocked. 

“When do you have to be back, short bus?” Ana continued her teasing rant. Narrowing her eyes, Myra pleasantly flipped her off. 

“I’m flying back tomorrow evening,” she replied, a smirk on her lips. 

“I may or may not fly back with her. I told Li that I’d hang with her for a few, and I wanted to go visit Elena while I’m up here,” Ana shrugged, turning back to focus on straightening her unruly curls. 

“I don’t know why you even bother making it straight. A little water, and poof! You’re Justin,” JC teased, laughing when she glared at him through the mirror. “Plus, I like the curls more.” 

“Well, I want straight hair tonight,” her stubborn chin tilted upwards, and JC hid his smirk. She could be such a kid sometimes, and thankfully, he found it endearing. 

“Where are we going, heifer?” Myra asked, her attention still focused on the word search. 

“You’re not invited, sweets,” Ana teased, and laughed as she was once again flipped out. 

“Ignore your sister, you’re definitely invited,” JC defended Myra, earning a bright smile from her. 

“And who invited you, Superstar?” Ana taunted, turning her body as she ran the hot hair iron down a section of curls. 

“Li, herself, actually, so boo-yah,” he stuck his tongue out at her. Myra’s head snapped up before she rolled off the bed in laughter. Ana’s laughter joined her, loudly. 

“Boo-yah, son, really?” Myra laughed loudly, from her current position on the floor. JC ignored them both, opting to take his dignity to the shower. Without saying one word, he playfully kicked Myra’s foot and flicked Ana’s forehead as he passed by. Closing the door behind him, he heard their protests of abuse. He shook his head, laughing softly, before turning the shower water on. 

“Your man’s a dork,” Myra giggled, still unable to pick herself up from the bedroom floor. 

“At least I got a man,” Ana snorted, causing Myra to retaliate by throwing the hair clip from earlier. 

“Bitch,” Ana sneered, rubbing the back of her arm. Myra smiled, evilly before reaching over for her phone, which had just beeped. 

“I may not have a man right now, but I will soon. See you later, toots!” Myra retorted, rushing to gather her stuff before running out the door. 

“What the hell? Who is it?” Ana asked, alarmed that her sister had not filled her in. Rushing to follow her out the door, she caught a small glimpse of a handsome man at the end of the hallway turning to follow Myra into the elevator. 

“I’ll find out, you wench!” Ana yelled, hoping Myra would hear her before the elevator doors closed. Hearing the taunting laughter in response, she knew she’d been heard.

End Notes:
Review! Review!
Chapter 25: Turning Back Time... by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:
So, I was so not satisfied with the crappy, half-assed updated I did last week. So, here it is...this is what really should've been posted! Enjoy and please REVIEW!

August 6, 2001 

“Morning, did I wake you?” his smooth voice greeted her delicate ears and a smile graced her lips. Tucking some loose strands of hair behind her ear, she shook her head. 

“No, I just got back from the gym,” she replied, realizing he couldn’t see her silent reply. 

“Anita, it is like 7 in the morning there. At the gym so early, what for?” JC questioned, readjusting his position in the back of the limo that carried all the guys toward their destination. 

“Johnny called me a few days ago to tell me that I have a shoot for Shape in like two weeks. And all I’ve been doing since I finished the tour has been eating, sleeping, and eating,” she answered, making her way towards her refrigerator to grab a bottle of water. Twisting off the cap, she drank the entire bottle in one gulp. 

Shape, huh? I like your future,” JC joked, earning weird looks from the guys. 

“I bet you do, perv. But, yes, Shape. I’m excited, but nervous. So, I’m hitting the gym overtime. How was the show last night?” Ana questioned, the house phone cradled between her shoulder and ear. Moving around the kitchen, she prepared both Baron and Tajo’s bowls and laid it out for them in the backyard. 

“It was good, especially since it’s closer to the end, closer to home, and closer to you,” his voice softened with the last words. The other guys were in their separate worlds, but he also didn’t feel like dealing with their jokes. 

“Brownie points, babe, definite brownie points,” Ana smiled softly. 

“You know it,” he replied cheekily, “what’s your day looking like?” 

“Pretty chill, I’ll probably head over to WEG a little later, and I was going to call Heather and Tyler about meeting for dinner,” Ana replied, her voice distracted as she walked around the kitchen collecting ingredients for her breakfast. “I’m so hungry, it’s ridiculous.” 

JC smiled at her slight chuckle, imagining her shaking her head full of bouncy brunette curls. 

“That’s definite news to me,” he retorted, smiling when he heard her snort. It was always a joke between them the amount of food they each ate. There was a constant feeling of hunger between them. 

“Cute, real cute, think I’ll make some pancakes,” she muttered, distractedly. She dumped the ingredients on the center island’s counter before opening the bottom cabinets in search of a mixing bowl. 

“Those wouldn’t be banana nut pancakes by any chance, would they?” she heard JC’s voice peaked, and she couldn’t help but smile warmly. The way to any man’s heart would always be through their stomachs. Straightening up, she rested one hand on her hip and gazed out of the large bay windows overlooking the backyard and the dock. 

“Why yes, they would be. Would you like a stack?” she teased before chuckling when she heard his slight moan. It was evil of her to tease him so, but it was also too much fun not to tease the poor guy. 

“Two, please. I can get on a flight and be there by 3,” he replied, a slight teasing edge to his voice. 

“I’ll get set on that order. Fresh orange juice?” she humored him with a slight eyeroll. Shaking her head, she reached into the sink to rinse and wash her hands. 

“Milk will be just fine,” he replied, and she smiled. Milk, of course, she thought. He couldn’t fall asleep when he was home without having a glass of milk before bed. It was comical, really. There were times he’d go to bed muttering about beating that demon, opting to forgo the milk that night. And, then, he’d toss and turn all night until finally giving up and getting up for a glass of milk. And once inhaled, JC would yawn and pass out within minutes. 

“Of course dear, I’ll get working. I’ll see you at 3,” she teased and chuckled, slightly. He let out a breathy laugh before bidding her goodbye, declaring his love for her and sending her an air-kiss. Chuckling, she took the receiver from between her ear and shoulder and set it on the counter. She shook her head as she peeled two bananas and mashed them with the back of her spoon in a small bowl. 

#### 

Carrying pancakes, warm syrup, diced fruit, and a glass of ice cold milk, Ana made her way out to the back porch. There was finally a break in the muggy and rainy weather that had blanketed Orlando for the past few days, and she intended on enjoying the warmth. As she settled at the patio table with her breakfast tray, she looked out towards the sprawling backyard lawn and the twinkling lake’s surface. The morning sun reflected off the surface of the lake, and the slight morning breeze caused miniscule ripples across the surface. Baron and Tajo ran from one side to the other, seemingly chasing one another, enjoying the much-missed sunlight. 

Taking some butter to spread on her pancakes, she went about preparing her meal. First, the butter. Second, the warm syrup. And finally, her teeth. But, before her teeth could munch down on the food, Baron came trotting up to her feet and dropped a bright blue ball at her feet. Looking down at his pleading brown eyes, she smiled and reached down for the toy. Scratching between his ears, she pulled her arm back before tossing the ball away. Both Baron and Tajo ran in search of it. 

“You wouldn’t happen to be trying to keep them away from those delicious pancakes, would you?” his voice startled her, causing her to jump in her seat and squeaked. 

“Don’t do that!” she huffed, her hand clutching her chest and her eyes wide. His eyes crinkled at the corners as his laugh bellowed throughout the backyard. The dogs heard him and stopped their chase towards the runaway toy, quickly changing directionality. He pushed away from the doorway and swiftly made his way towards his now laughing girlfriend. 

“I can’t even get up to hug you. I’m all tangled up,” she chuckled, looking down at her crossed legs beneath her. Shaking her head, she stretched her arms in his direction. He laughed, shaking his head in dismay, before reaching her side and bending down to hug her. Her arms tightening around his neck, and his arms encircling her waist. 

“It’s not 3, yet,” she spoke, her lips pressed against the side of his neck, causing a slight shiver to tremble his bones, a breathy laugh escaping his lips. 

“Yeah, well, I also don’t see those two stacks I requested,” he smiled, straightening up. With her arms still wrapped around his neck, he easily lifted her from her seat and maneuvered his way into the now vacated patio chair. With her now resting on his lap, she lifted her head and cupped his face in both hands. 

“Welcome home,” she smiled, bringing her lips down to his. Softly at first, her lips meshed with his. She reveled in the familiar warmth, texture, and softness that had almost become only a memory. Her nimble fingers lightly caressed the tender skin behind his ears and her fingernails scratched along his hairline. His own strong hands grasped her thigh and hip, keeping her close to him. 

“I’ve missed you,” he confessed, freeing his lips for only a millisecond from the poison that her lips seeped to an addict like himself. With a few more soft kisses, she pulled away and hugged him close. 

“We’ve missed you too,” she cheekily smiled, gesturing to the two dogs that now sat next to the patio chair, their tails wagging and their hot breath fanning over Ana’s exposed thighs. JC reached down to scratch their heads, giving them equal attention. Satisfied for the moment, the two canines trotted off towards the shade that the laurel oak at the lawn’s edge provided. 

“I thought you guys had work to get down in LA,” she smirked, knowing he’d fooled her. And, he too smiled. It had all been a ploy to surprise her. 

“I’m here for five days, mama,” he confessed, nuzzling her neck and making her squeal. A broad smile appeared on her face. Five days of uninterrupted time with him. Finally. 

“Let’s get you some food, come on,” she tugged at his hand, moving to climb off his lap. But, his strong grip kept her from moving. Instead, he stood with her in his arms and warned her to hang on. And, she knew better than to question him, her arms tightening around his neck. In the blink of an eye, he’d managed to toss her body onto his back. Her legs instinctively wrapped around his slender waist, and the pleasant sound of her giggle filled his ears. 

“Didn’t know you were an acrobat Anita,” he teased, moving towards the sliding door leading back inside the house. 

“Jace, really? You didn’t know I was an acrobat?” she teased, twisting her head for him to see the disbelieving look on her face. Catching onto her insinuation, he laughed and shook his head. 

“You’re right, I’m wrong,” he raised his hands in mock-surrender. 

“Damn right.” 

#### 

“Are you sure you want to have the party here?” JC asked a couple of days later as they still lain in bed on an early morning. It was a day after his birthday and the day before they were all scheduled to be in Louisville to resume the tour. They’d spent the previous day together from sunrise to sunset. Ana had planned the entire day full of fun for the both. It’d begun with breakfast, a boat ride on the lake, lunch downtown, then a bit of shopping, and at night after dinner, they’d gone to DisneyWorld to watch the fireworks show before hitting a nightclub. 

“Yes, it’ll be fun. While you’re at the complex, I’m gonna go to the grocery store and get everything. Nothing big, just finger foods, I think. Heather said she’d come over and help out, so I’m all set,” she assured him, her hand reaching out to caress his bare chest. 

“Alright then, I just don’t want you to work too hard. It’s just a few people coming over,” he wanted to make sure she didn’t try to go all out. He’d suggested that they go out and get a restaurant, but she insisted that being at home was more comfortable and everyone could loosen up more. 

“I’ll be good, baby. Plus, I think you’ve been dying to see me and my mad hostess skills at work,” she winked, her hands doing some crazy ninja-inspired quick work. Holding his bare stomach with one hand, while the other rested beneath his head, JC laughed at her foolishness. 

“Oh yes, I am prepared to be blown away,” he exaggerated his expressions causing Ana to laugh as well. Looking at the time on the bedside clock, Ana rolled her body over and settled on JC’s. His laughter quickly subsided, and his eyebrows rose in surprise. 

“Think you have some time for me before you go meet with the guys?” she questioned, her lips already making quick work of distracting him. Soft, wet, open-mouthed kisses splayed over the small sprinkling of hair on his chest. She felt the rumble of his soft moan with her lips. Looking up at his face, she saw the absolute look of contentment and she knew that their recent problems were but a fleeting and distant memory. 

“I’m really glad you’re here, Josh,” she confessed, the closeness of her breath on his lips causing him to open his eyes. And his aqua orbs clashed and reached within her through her own golden orbs. A tender smile caressed his lips, and her lips mirrored his. His soft, calloused fingers reached up to push back a stubborn stand of hair behind her ear. His eyes followed his fingers’ movements before returning to look at her eyes. 

“There’s nowhere I’d rather be,” he whispered, and before she could reply his lips had already descended on her mouth. A slight murmur escaped her throat in response, before she pushed herself closer to the warmth that his skin on her skin provided. The freshness of the crisp linens sheets provided little cooling for them. The morning sun peaked through the sheer curtains, providing dancing sunrays over there dancing bodies. Their bodies moved with fluidity, smoothness, and comfort. They knew one another, and they could read one another’s movements. They could predict one another, and thus, complimented one another.

#### 

It was as if a conglomeration of aromas had exploded throughout his house. Opening the side door from the garage, his nostrils went into a frenzy, desperately trying to identify any of the comforting smells. Like a tracking dog, his nose rose straight into the air, letting his hunger pangs direct his feet. A mixture of savory and sweet aromas hung in the air, and his mouth watered. 

“Are you trying to kill me woman?” he asked, rounding the corner into the spacious French-style kitchen. Standing over the center counter, Ana was putting the final touches on several platters. Turning her head, he was able to see the smirk that hung on her luscious lips. 

“I’m just trying to feed the men in my life,” she joked and smiled when she saw his smirk and twinkling eyes. From the corner of her eye, she watched as he slinked his way through the kitchen and around the counter to stand behind her. Reveling in the warmth that his arms brought to her body as they wrapped around her middle, she closed her eyes briefly and leaned back against him. 

“They’re already jealous that I get you all to myself, and know you’re going to feed them. Expect them over more often,” he kidded, his lips caressing the outer shell of her ear before carving a path down to the side of her neck. Closing his lips over her pulse point, he felt the rumble of her throaty moan against them. Smirking, he continued his assault on her neck. 

“Leave me a hickey, and I will give you a black eye, Chasez,” she half-heartedly warned, feeling herself get lost in the tingling and sparks she felt down her spine. 

“You say that, but you don’t really feel that,” he retorted, wrapping his arms tighter around her middle. Planting one more smooch on the exposed curve of her neck, he rested his chin on her shoulder. “Where’s Heather? I thought she was helping you out.” 

“She just left to go get dressed, and everyone else is on their way. So, shoo…go get dressed. Are you showering?” she asked, reaching over to the sink to rinse her hands. He let her go and leaned against the counter, sneaking some diced pineapple into his mouth. She caught him, and pointed a warning finger his way. He smirked, and puckered his lips out. Laughing, she leaned back to him and kissed his lips. 

“Thank you. I’m going to shower real fast,” he announced, and she nodded. He pecked her lips once more before turning on his heel and leaving the kitchen. Looking around, she saw she didn’t have anything else to do before the guests arrived, so she too hurried upstairs to dress. She had to admit that she was feeling a little nervous, but she also felt silly. They’d been dating for almost a year now, yet this was the first party that she’d hosted as his girlfriend. They’d had impromptu barbecues in LA, but it’d been the guys and a few other friends. Tonight, his family and the guys’ families would be here. 

“Oh quit it,” she chastised herself as she climbed the staircase to the top floor. 

#### 

“Turn it up!” 

The rumbles of the opening guitar chords filled the living room space. Steve, acting as the night’s DJ, heeded to the request and the sound system throbbed with the song’s bass. 

“Where’s the birthday boy?” the question lingered in the air from somewhere in the crowd. It caught JC’s attention and his head turned towards the crowd, almost afraid of who was looking for him. He was seating on the couch talking to his dad and to Justin’s dad, so he had to crane his neck to try and locate the individual. Finally, the crowd began to part down the center and a smile graced his lips. 

There in the center of the dancing crowd, his girlfriend stood with a hand on her hip and two beer bottle necks in the other hand. Locking eyes with him, she pointed at him and lured him to her with a crooked finger. Chuckling, he stood and obediently made his way to her. He could tell by her glazed eyes that she was tipsy, and this only excited him more. Things were about to get wild. 

“You rang?” he smirked, standing in front of her and still looking down at her. Her dark brown crisscross leather platform heels added to her height, but they didn’t do much for his tall stature.  

I don't know why I did the things I did
I don't know why I said the things I said
Pride's like a knife, it can cut deep inside
Words are like weapons, they wound sometimes
 

She offered him one of her ice cold Bud Lights, as she continued to sing to him and dance around him. Accepting it, he took a gulp before lightly chuckling at her antics. The striped halter and backless dress swung around her petite frame. The combination of blue-gray and tan stripes offset her glowing bronzed skin and golden eyes. The mess of curls were pulled back in an equally messy bun, and simple diamond studs adorned her earlobes. 

I didn't really mean to hurt you
I didn't wanna see you go
I know I made you cry
But baby
 

The crowd of his friends and family watched on happily as his beautiful girlfriend serenaded him. He knew that despite all his efforts to keep her from stressing out about the party, she’d been extremely nervous and stressed. And he knew that this was a testament that she was relaxed and finally enjoying herself. His mother had been thoroughly impressed when Ana had informed her that she’d cooked everything herself. Thinking back to Karen’s expression that clearly read ‘thank god she feeds JC,’ he couldn’t help but chuckle. 

Ana had outdone herself with an array of miniature beef kabobs, sausage subs, shrimp favors, spring rolls, cheese sticks, and a variety of fruity and vegetable platters. Although, she did confess not making the Samosa puffs or the birthday cake. Like a true hostess, she’d walked around all evening making sure everyone was well taken care of. She’d refilled drinks and refilled the food platters. Finally, JC had had enough of her not enjoying the party that he’d enlisted the help of Justin and Chris. 

“Just shut up and drink it,” Justin had demanded as he, Chris, and JC stood over Ana. They’d managed to pry her away from the party and sit her down in the kitchen. Stubbornly, Ana had crossed her arms across her chest. 

“You can’t make me! Besides, I have to get back in there,” she argued, attempting to stand. Unfortunately, there were three far more stubborn men blocking her way. 

“You have no choice, munchkin,” Chris warned also crossing his arms. Looking from face to the other, Ana finally huffed and puffed, surrendering. Taking the glass filled with white liquid from Justin’s hand, she stuck her tongue out at him before tossing it back. 

“Ah…” she groaned, shaking her head in a futile attempt to alleviate the burning sensation in her throat. Blinking her teary eyes, she took the second tequila shot from Chris’s hand and tossed it back. Slamming the glass down, she took the lime from JC’s hand and sucked it between her lips. 

“Ok…let’s go party!” she exclaimed, pushing her way through their human barrier and leaving the kitchen. High-fiving each other, the guys followed. 

And, so, her inhibitions were free. Her arms swung in the arm as she animatedly sang along to the Cher track, enlisting the help from the crowd as the chorus neared.

If I could turn back time, if I could find a way
I'd take back those words that have hurt you
You'd stay if I could reach the stars
I'd give them all to you, then you'd love me, love me
Like you used to do, if I could turn back time
 

Bringing the Bud Light to her lips, she smirked and winked at him before tossing the drink back. He laughed; she was such a tease and flirt whenever alcohol was involved. He loved it. It was her true nature that came out whenever she loosened up a little bit. He understood her because he was the same way.

My world was shattered, I was torn apart
Like somebody took a knife
And drove it deep in my heart
When you walked out that door
But I lost everything darling then and there
 

Their industry had forced them to mature too early, to take on so many responsibilities that they tended to forget to relax and have fun from time to time. Fortunately, there were moments like these where they reminded each other to let go and live.

Too strong to tell you I was sorry
Too proud to tell you I was wrong
I know that I was blind and darling

Taking hold of her hand, he pulled her to him. Flushed against his sturdy torso, she turned glazed twinkling eyes upwards. Smiling, she locked her lips with his and continued moving to the dance-beat heavy song.

If I could turn back time, if I could find a way
I'd take back those words that have hurt you
And you'd stay if I could reach the stars
I'd give them all to you then you'd love me, love me
Like you used to do, if I could turn back time

He sang along to the chorus with her, arms locked around each other, eyes locked on one another, smiles on their lips, and beers hanging from their fingers. 

“I’m sorry” he mouthed, and she knew what he meant. Even though they’d talked it out several times, there was still some tension between the two. Ana still refused to join the remainder of his tour, opting instead to stay home and tend to mundane, everyday things. Granted she kept busy with the administration side of her career, but she still found herself constantly bored. 

“Happy Birthday,” she shushed him with a finger over his lips. Smiling, she replaced her finger with her lips, burying her fingers in his curls instead. 

#### 

August 25, 2001 

“I’m so ready for these next couple of months,” JC sighed as he sat on the couch at Lance’s parents’ house in Mississippi. The guys had performed the previous night in Jackson, and they had a few days off before their second to last tour date of the year. He was exhausted, and homesick. He’d enjoyed those days at home in Orlando with Ana. It was refreshing to develop a daily routine, and he found himself enjoying being in Florida with her moreso than California. 

“I know baby, you’ll be home soon enough. Now, we can be bored together. Sit around and just watch MTV all day,” Ana replied on the other end of the telephone. She was walking through the house after coming back from an impromptu dance session at WEG. She’d called Darren and asked to join one of his dance rehearsals, just to stay in shape. She had to admit that she missed the daily rigor of performing, but she also enjoyed the daily amounts of anonymity that she’d been experiencing for a while now. 

“Sounds like a plan. But, first, after the Mexico show and VMAs, you and I are going away for a while. No cameras, no fans, no guys, no family, nothing,” JC revealed, slouching further on the couch. He saw the guys walk in with solemn looks on their faces, and he sat up alarmed. He knew his face must’ve looked crazed, but in the pit of his stomach, he knew something was wrong. 

His eyes watched as Lance turned on the television set and reached for the remote to change the channel. Faintly, he could hear Ana talking on the line. But, his ears were muffled and his head was heavy. He felt like he was underwater, the sinking feeling in his stomach. Looking at Joey for some reassurance, all he got was a nod towards the television. Reading the scrolling headline across the bottom of the television, his skin grew cold and his face colored white. 

“Speaking of MTV, let’s see what’s on. I’ve wanted to catch up on ‘Diary’,” Ana spoke, and JC found himself jumping to his feet. 

“NO!” he screamed into the phone, as if he could freeze her fingers, keeping her from turning to that channel. 

“JC, what in the world is wrong with you? I’m not going to hang up or…” his heart shattered as he heard her voice trail off. Closing his eyes, he breathed deeply and began counting. The guys all looked on, sadness and tears in their eyes. With trembling hands, they all covered their mouths or their faces as they heard Ana’s piercing scream through the phone’s speaker. It was gut-wrenching, and soul shattering. With tears streaming from his eyes, JC looked from one brother to the next. He was lost. What could he do? 

“No…no…no…please God…no…NO!” he heard her voice shatter, tears choking her. And before he could say anything, he heard the phone drop and the call end. Turning his attention to the television, he tried to focus on the reporter’s words. 

“Aaliyah, the 22-year-old singer and actress from Detroit, was killed in a plane crash Saturday in the Bahamas. Aaliyah was one of nine people aboard a twin-engine plane that crashed seconds after taking off from the Bahamas, according to Grand Bahama police. All nine passengers died. The singer was in the Bahamas shooting a music video for the latest single ‘Rock the Boat.’ The U.S. National Transportation Safety Board and the Civil Aviation Department of the Bahamas will jointly investigate the crash that occurred a mere 200 feet beyond the end of the runway at Marsh Harbour International Airport at 6:45p.m.Others killed in the accident included Aaliyah makeup artist Eric Foreman, 29, and Virgin Records representative Douglas Kratz, 28, according to police reports. Two other women and three other men, including the pilot, died in the crash; another male passenger died early Sunday morning in Nassau, where he was awaiting airlift to a Miami hospital, authorities said. Here at MTV News, we will keep you updated on this developing story.”

End Notes:

Review! Review! Review!

AUTHOR'S NOTE by jersey_tenn

Hey guys...

So, I re-updated Chapter 25. I wasn't satisfied with the half-assed update from last week. If you read that chapter, please go back and reread it. There is a lot more that I added. I should've held off on updating instead of just giving y'all a filler, but I got stupid. Sorry.

Enjoy and please review!

Chapter 26: Fly High, My Angel by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:

I've never had a Beta for this story, but I needed a fresh pair of eyes for this chapter. Thank you musicmel!

It was such a tough chapter, and I will go as far as to say it has been the toughest I've ever written for any chapter. It is just so emotional, so heart-breaking, and yet, so inspiring.

Orlando, FloridaAugust 25, 2001 

“Ana…” Tyler’s voice echoed through the foyer of the eerie house. 

“Tyler! I need you to check on Ana now! Please, please go over there. I’m on my way to the airport right now, please Tyler,” JC’s voice trembled and broke, tears threatening to spill from his eyes at any given moment. 

“Is everything ok? No, what am I saying? What’s going on?” frantically, Tyler rushed from his spot on the couch at his parents’ house. Unlike ever before, he quickly ran through the house to the garage, grabbing his car keys from the hook by the side door. 

“Aaliyah… was in a plane crash.” JC’s voice choked in the back of his throat, reality leaving a bitter taste in his mouth. “She died, bro.”

"Holy fuck…I’m already on my way, Jace. Just get here as soon as possible,” Tyler reassured him, peeling out of the driveway and ending the call. 

Ever since Ana had moved in with her brother there was a homey feeling to the house, regardless if it was the Florida or the California house. There was a gentle warmth that hugged every person stepping through the threshold, and Tyler associated that with Ana. And, so did many other people. 

But, today, the home was cold, silent, and ghostlike despite the sunny afternoon weather. Softly, the front door latched behind him as he cautiously stepped further into the house. The wooden floors creaked under his weight, his ears perking at any random noise. 

“Ana…hun, its Tyler,” he announced his arrival once more, but no response. He tried the den, the living room, the kitchen, the back yard, nothing. Raising and lowering his shoulders as his body sighed, he looked upwards. He knew that she’d be in the bedroom, and he feared what he’d find behind the door. He’d never had to deal with something like this; he felt unprepared. Taking the stairs two-at-a-time, he paused at the very top and listened. 

There she was. 

Tyler could hear her shaky breaths echoing in the still air. Cautiously, he walked the short distance to the bedroom door, left ajar. Pushing it lightly with a shaky hand, he peeked into the quiet, private hideaway. 

#### 

Her blood-shot golden eyes rose from the spot on the beige carpet, sensing she was no longer alone. From her spot on the opposite side of the room, she watched as he cautiously made his way inside. She bit her lip as her eyes returned to the same spot she’d been looking. And her fingers clenched into a fist, hissing.

It was her hiss that gave her presence away, and Tyler quickly spotted her. 

“Oh Ana…” his once-juvenile and always-teasing voice had been replaced with genuine concern, comforting security and laced with soothe. 

A sob escaped her throat as she clenched her eyes shut, a guttural moan bouncing from the walls. In one swift motion, Tyler was beside her, pulling her body close to his. His arms wrapped tightly around her trembling body, cradling her close to his chest. The warmth from his body did little to stop the chills that danced along her spine. 

"I’m so sorry…I’m so sorry” Tyler felt tears pool in his eyes. There was no way to accurately describe the agony and the despair in Ana’s cry. The way her hands gripped at his shirt and her lips trembled as she openly sobbed. He had a feeling that she hadn’t cried since finding out. His hands soothed her curls, whispering words of comfort and embracing her tighter. 

He didn’t know how long they sat there in the corner of the bedroom, crying and screaming, but he knew it had to have been a couple of hours. 

“Ana, let’s get you cleaned up. Jace is going to be here soon, hun,” he pulled her away from his chest in an effort to get her to look at him. But, when she did, she stole his breath. There was a blaze raging in her eyes, and her usually-plump lips were set in a thin line. “Ana…” 

“No! No! No! No!” she screamed, angrily pounding at his chest. Grabbing a hold of her fists, Tyler frantically tried to calm her down. Where was her anger coming from? What had he said? What was he to do? 

“Ana, calm down!” his voice rose above hers in a futile attempt to quiet her. 

“NO! You don’t get to tell me to calm down! You don’t get to tell me to clean up! You don’t get to tell me to stop crying! You don’t! You don’t! Dammit…you don’t!” her hand covered her mouth in an attempt to mask her cries. Breaking out of his stupor, Tyler reached towards her to hug her once again but she angrily pushed at him. Catching him off guard, he fell back and Ana scrambled to her feet. Turning, she ran from the room ignoring Tyler’s pleas to come back. Taking the steps two, three at a time, she ran from the house out to the back yard. 

Raindrops. 

Papí, ¿por que llueve?” Alejandro Mora looked down at his 5-year-old daughter, the innocence in her eyes blinding him. The corner of his lips twitched thinking of a sensible answer for someone so young. He was sitting in the living room with his five daughters after dinner, listening to the rain pour down on the world outside. His youngest tucked under his arm. And, the rain sparkled under the light from the passing cars’ headlights, sending shadows dancing across the walls.  

“Well, mijita, raindrops come from heaven. Remember how I told you that when someone dies they go to heaven?” he paused to watch her nod, “well, when it rains here it is our familia crying for us there. They watch over us, to protect us and take care of us. When they see that we are sad or unhappy, they cry for us, Anita.” 

“Do they always watch us?” her voice squeaked at the end of her question and her father smiled. 

“Yes, we are never alone. When they cry, it rains and the rain waters the earth. What happens when you water the dirt, Anita?” he asked, playfully flicking her nose. Naturally, her nose scrunched up and her giggle filled his ears. 

“Flowers grow!” she squealed, excited to know the answer to her father’s question. 

“That’s right! So, next time it rains, remember our familia is sending us a beautiful flower to make us smile,” Alejandro concluded, and his daughter smiled brightly, revealing a gap of two teeth. 

It had rained the day she had asked her dad about her mom – fifteen years ago. 

It had rained the day their loyal Lab, Iggy had died – ten years ago. 

It had rained the day she’d gotten the phone call in London about her father – five years ago. 

And, now, it rained as her best friend was ripped from her life. 

It was now that she let her tears fall, sinking to her knees in the middle of the small boat dock. Her head hung low and her hands covered her face. Fingernails dug into her flesh and scalp, trying to alleviate the pain that burst in her chest, taking over her heart, and strangling her lungs. Rocking back and forth as one would sooth a child, she felt no comfort. 

The day had begun sunny and warm, the perfect weather. In a matter of minutes, the sun’s warmth and light were quickly replaced by dark, sinister clouds and sheets upon sheets of rain. Her fragile body was pounded with the increasing rain as she stayed in the same position. Her tears mixed with the rain and her sobs silenced by the crackling thunder.


#### 

The front door might have fallen off its hinges as JC burst through it if it weren’t for its sturdy and solid wood frame. Desperately, he sought any sign of Ana or Tyler. Hurriedly poking his head in every lower level room, he finally saw Tyler through the back sliding doors. 

“Where is she?” he questioned, his brother standing at the covered porch’s edge. The rain pelting the cobble stones on the ground. Turning bloodshot eyes to him, Tyler spoke.

"Out there,” his voice heavily affected by the knot lodged deep in his throat. Turning to look out at the expanse of his backyard, JC could barely make out the outline of Ana’s body through the heavy rain. 

“What the hell is she doing out there?” he demanded, rushing to discard his watch and cell phone. 

“She won’t let me near her, bro. It’s bad,” Tyler swallowed, willing the tears to stay at bay. JC turned concerned eyes to him, how bad? With a shaky breath, JC tried to mentally prepare himself but it was pointless. He wouldn’t know how to prepare for something like this – no one ever would. 

“Her sisters have been calling, but I told them that you’d call them later. Just get her inside man,” Tyler’s eyes pleaded, and JC nodded. Taking off with his head ducked low, he jogged through the rain. Ana’s figure came into a clearer view as he neared her. She was hunched over in the middle of the boat dock, the rain mercilessly pelting her back. As he came to a stop just short of her body, he could see her shoulders shaking and he could make out soft whimpers. Turning eyes upwards, he prayed for strength. 

“Ana, babygirl…I’m here,” his voice, gentle and soothing, shook with caution. He saw her shoulders briefly stop shaking – she’d heard him. As if her neck was weighed down with an anchor, she slowly raised her head. Her eyes once sparkled and shone golden. Now, they were a dull, tear-twinkling pair. 

“Oh Ana…” he was quickly at her side, clinging to her as she loss any reserve left in her body. Yes, Aaliyah had been a close friend of his as well, and he’d cared for tremendously for her. But, he also knew that his relationship with her fell exceptionally short in comparison to the bond, trust, and connection between her and Ana. They were inseparable. Even though their careers kept them apart, they were in constant communication with one another. She had been Ana’s fifth sister. 

“She’s gone Josh, she’s gone,” Ana whispered against his neck, her face buried there seeking comfort. 

“I know babygirl,” he didn’t know what else to say. He was at a loss. What else could he say? There was nothing that he could say that would mend her broken heart, ease her pain, or erase this moment. 

“She was with me with dad died. I flew in to New York and she was waiting for me. Canceled shows and stayed with me for two weeks. Always knew what to say. Always knew when I needed her. She was so good. Why do the good always go?” 

“God has a plan, Ana…”

"Then, take us, Josh! Take me! We’re the sinners! Dammit, JC! Why her?” he pulled her into his arms as he settled on the hard wood planks. The rain wasn’t letting up. Their hair was matted against their heads, clinging to their faces. Her body was pulled flush against his soaking embrace, her fingers clawing at his chest, in a despairing attempt to hold onto something. But, the rain had caused his shirt to practically melt against his skin. 

“It’s going to be ok, babygirl. It hurts, I know it hurts. And I can only imagine how much it hurts, but, babygirl, she’s ok. She’s where she belongs. That angel is home, baby. She’s home,” he kept repeating that to her, speaking softly in her ear. Gently, he rocked her quivering body in his arms. The rain began to let up after a while, and so did her whimpers. He couldn’t tell if she still cried, the tears and raindrops mixing on her face. He did, however, know that she hadn’t fallen asleep. 

As the minimal daylight that remained began to vanish, JC decided it was time to go inside before they both caught a cold, or worst, pneumonia. 

“Babygirl, we’ve got to get you inside, ok? Just hold onto me, baby,” he whispered, alerting her that he would jostled her a bit. Looking back towards the house, he could see that the guys and Tyler no longer stood on the porch looking out at them. He hoped they had moved inside and wouldn’t stop him on his mission to get her upstairs and warmed up. Readjusting her in his arms, he cradled her close to him as he began the trek across the soppy grounds. 

He walked onto the porch and through the sliding doors, dripping buckets of water onto the wooden floors. In his arms, Ana’s body – fragile, scared, and hurting – clung to him, cocooning and hiding from the world. She was like a small child. And seeing her like this shattered the guys’ hearts as they watched him pass the living room doorway. In silence, they watched him make the daunting journey up the many steps. JC carried her upstairs and into their bathroom, gently setting her down on the toilet. Leaning into the glass shower stall, he turned on the water and adjusted the water to warmer than usual. He needed to warm her up, and quick. 

“I’ve got to warm you up, babygirl,” he explained, tipping her chin upwards to look at him. Her eyes, still dull and sad, met his and he had to bite his lower lip. Nodding, she gave him the first sign that she was still there with him. Delicately, he eased her out of her clothing before undressing himself and bringing her into the shower with him. She was detached, but responsive as he went through the motions of washing her hair, scrubbing her body, and rinsing her off. Once finished, he helped her step out and dry before wrapping her long tresses in a towel. 

“See…all warmed up now. Feel better?” he soothed as he tugged the long sleeve over her frame and she settled on the edge of the bed. With a quivering lip, she managed to nod her response and he smiled gently. Taking the wide-toothed comb, he ran it through her curls, careful not to tug too hard. Once detangled, he managed to get it into a sloppy braid and secure it with a hair band. 

“Now, climb on in. I’m going to bring you some tea. You’ll be ok for a few minutes, right?” he asked, helping her slip under the warm blankets that he’d set on the bed. 

“Yeah,” her voice no louder than a whisper as she lain her head on the cool pillow. Bending down, he smoothed some flyaways back before dropping a kiss on her forehead then chapped lips. Feeling her sigh against his lips, JC pulled away and headed downstairs. 

#### 

He hoped to avoid the guys, knowing that he might break down if he was faced with having to talk to them. Thinking he’d sneaked past them, he made his way into the kitchen to make her some tea. But, he wasn’t alone. 

“We won’t ask how she’s doing because it’s safe to say that it’s not good. But, we will ask if you’re ok?” Chris spoke from his spot at the island counter. Looking from one brother to the next, JC sighed. 

“I don’t know guys. I’ve never seen her, or anyone for that matter, as broken as she is. She’s Ana for God’s sake. She’s so strong and that’s not the Ana I know. I don’t know what to do for her,” he heard his own voice break as he spoke. His hands anxiously ran through his ever-growing locks. 

“Well, you keep doing what you’re doing Jace. She needs you to just to be here for her,” Justin spoke up from where he leant on the counter besides the stovetop. There was a tea kettle softly whistling on the black stovetop. “We’re just going to go upstairs and say bye to her then we’re gonna get out of your way. But, you make sure you call us if you need anything. Johnny is trying to find out any information on funeral arrangements. I’ll let you know what he finds out.” 

“I really appreciate this guys,” JC tried to smile, but he was sure it resembled something short of a grimace. Nodding to each of the guys as they patted him on the back on their way out the kitchen, he remained silent. 

“Mom said she’ll come over in the morning to check on you two, and remember to call her sisters. They’re really worried,” Tyler said to him before following the guys’ lead and exiting. Holding onto the marble counters, JC felt himself take deep breaths. His mind was a jumble of thoughts and emotions that he knew not how to sort. After a while he heard the front door open and close followed shortly by the dull rumbled of car engines. They were alone. He was alone. A guttural sob filled the air as he felt his reserve dissolve. He needed to take this moment to himself to allow himself to feel and hurt and cry. Ana needed him. His Ana needed him. 

#### 

“I’m ready,” her still-fragile voice broke through JC’s thoughts as he sat at the breakfast nook in the kitchen of the New York condo. Turning his head towards her voice, she came into view. His eyes ran down the length of her frame, taking in the all black attire – boatneck, belted dress, high heel pumps and shades. Nodding, and inwardly sighing, he stood from his spot and walked towards her. 

“Alright, mama, let’s get going,” he soothed, running his hand over her hair and gripping the back of her head to pull her in. Placing a gentle kiss on her forehead, his hands dropped to grasp her own and tug her out of the condo.  

There was a car waiting for them downstairs to take them to Manhattan’s Upper Eastside to the St. Ignatius Loyola Church for the private service. It’d been six days since her death, and Ana was still as grief-stricken as before. JC and the rest of the guys had left her for two days while they wrapped up their last tour date in the states. And now, after the service, JC would have to hop on a plane to Mexico City for the last tour date of the year. Ana was refusing to join him. He’d begged and pleaded, but she would not budge. And he understood, she didn’t want to be near cameras, reporters, and fans. She wanted to be alone.  But, he still worried and didn’t want to let her out of his sight. 

The media was having a field day with Aaliyah’s death, seeking comments, reactions, emotions from family and friends. JC had refused to let Ana give a statement, the public didn’t need to hear her like this and she didn’t need to deal with the public. So, instead, the guys had given a statement and left it at that. Jive, via Johnny, had asked Ana to sing at the service, and immediately everyone had assumed she’d turn down the request. But, surprisingly, she’d agreed. 

“Mama, are you sure you want to sing at the service?” JC asked once more as he saw their car get closer and closer to their destination. The streets were lined with throngs of fans on both sides; police barricades keeping them restricted. 

“Yeah, I want to do it for her,” she spoke softly, running her fingertips under her eyes to wipe away stray tears. Giving her knee a squeeze, she tried to manage a small smile at JC. Turning her gaze back to the outside world, she watched uniformed policemen, police cruisers, and cameramen fill the streets. In her head, she knew that her best friend was gone and she’d never see her again. And she felt the pain in her heart from the void she’d left. But, she couldn’t bring herself to believe it. It didn’t make sense. How could someone so young and so good be gone? Didn’t she deserve to live life the most? What was God’s plan for Ana if he’d already taken Aaliyah? 

Slipping her shades over her bloodshot eyes, Ana turned to watch the driver come around to open the door of the town car. There were similar cars lines in front of the church – family and friends arriving. JC stepped out after lowering his own shades over his eyes, and reached back inside the car to help Ana step out. They joined the crowd standing at the church’s steps, and after a few minutes, they saw the horse-drawn carriage grow closer. JC felt Ana’s grip tightened around his fingers, and his heart broke a little bit more. 

The body of her best friend was on that carriage, lifeless. 

He couldn’t imagine how he’d feel if that carriage carried any of the boys’ bodies. Wrapping his arm around her waist, he pulled her closer to his side, he heard her choked sob. It was time to get inside. He didn’t want her to break down out here. He managed to push through the gathered and make his way inside with her beside him. 

“You don’t have to do it, babygirl,” he whispered, hugging her close to his chest. Her arms limply wrapped around his waist and clung to his suit jacket. Standing off to the side, he watched everyone begin to file in so he pulled her along to find a decent seat for the service. 

She tuned out the priest as the service began, her eyes focused on the elaborate and stunning casket that sat in the center of the altar. Her friend was there. Her smiling and jovial friend was there. Her sister was in that casket. And, she was alone. And, despite the balmy New York summer weather, she was probably cold. Aaliyah was always cold. And, Ana felt anger seep through her bones. 

From the beginning, the only thing she’d continue to ask was ‘why’. It didn’t make sense. Aaliyah had never done anything bad in her life. Ana didn’t even know the details of the plane crash or anything else. She hadn’t cared to know. The only think she knew was her best friend was dead and gone, and she hadn’t deserved to die. 

Turning her eyes to the priest, she saw his lips move and his hands motion but she couldn’t hear what he was saying. Her ears were occupied with her inner angry screams of frustration and pain. She’d met Aaliyah at a recording studio only a few weeks before her father had died. Being the new kid, Ana had been shy and quiet, and Aaliyah had immediately embraced her and welcomed her into her family. Ana tended to be stubborn, but Aaliyah always showed up when Ana most needed someone. If she wasn’t there physically, then there would be corny emails, sappy letters, or long phone calls. 

God must’ve decided that her life was fulfilled, even though Ana felt she’d been robbed. She’d never win a Grammy, see her movie premiere, be a wife or be a mother. And, Ana wanted her back. She wanted her back to live life. She wanted her back for one last smile, one last laugh, or one last hug. Something. Not one last distant phone call. But she couldn’t have it. 

Life was cruel at times. It played horrible tricks. 

Feeling someone tap her knee, she looked to her right and saw JC looking at her. He pointed towards the podium, and she saw Aaliyah’s brother, Rashad standing there. She’d missed the eulogy. But, she didn’t think she’d been able to bare it. And now, it was her turn to go up there. Stand in front of an entire congregation, be strong, and sing. Oh, life was cruel. 

“It’s time for you, babygirl,” JC whispered, and she nodded. Handing over her shades and tissues to him, she took a deep breath to calm herself. And JC saw her emerge from the dark shadows of her grief; he visibly saw her demeanor change. It was a glimpse at the strong woman that he knew her to be, and his hope was restored. She’d be ok – one day, but she’d get there. 

She planted her hands on the pew in front of her, keeping her body steady as she rose to her feet. Turning to exit the pew, her right hand gripped the hand JC offered her. Feeling him give it a squeeze, she knew that he was right there. He wouldn’t let her fall. As she stepped out onto the center aisle, she took a second to gain her footing before opening her eyes, and setting her eyes on her destination. Never turning to look at the people she passed, she kept her gaze set on the spot on the altar where the microphone awaited her. 

The soft click of her heels on the marble floors seemed to echo and resonate from the high-vault cathedral ceilings; she knew all eyes were on her. Finally climbing the few steps to microphone, she cleared her throat a bit before daring to open her mouth. She forced herself to look out at the congregation and her eyes immediately sought Aaliyah’s mother and brother, and Ana was pleased to see an encouraging smile on them both.            

“There isn’t much that I can say that hasn’t already been said. Standing here today, I don’t understand this. And, maybe I never will. But, one day, we’ll all learn to accept it. To Miss Diane and Rashad, a mother and brother when I most needed one, you’re not alone; we’re all in this together. And together, we’ll get through it. She’s home, and she’s waiting for us. Our angel is home,” Ana’s voice cracked slightly at the end. Taking a deep breath, she gave herself a few seconds to compose her emotions. 

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost, but now I'm found.
'Twas blind, but now I see.
'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved.
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed.
When we've been there ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Then when we first begun.
Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost, but now I'm found.
Was blind, but now I see.
 

And, she made her way back down the steps, stopping alongside the cold, hard box that now shielded her best friend for eternity. Running a lone finger over the top, she bent at the waist and kissed the casket softly.            

“Fly high, my angel,” she whispered before turning away. Hugging Miss Diane and Rashad, Ana made her way back to her pew, where JC awaited her. And, she need not say a word as he pulled her into a hug as the whole congregation stood at the priest’s request. Giving one last blessing, the service concluded. Solemnly, everyone moved to exit the church; it was requested that everyone once again gather on the stairs.            

“They’re going to release doves, babygirl,” JC whispered as he stood behind her on the steps, his arms wrapped tightly around her waist. Thankful for her shades, Ana let her silent tears continue to flow. Looking all around her, she was in awe of all the fans standing there. She could see tears on everyone’s faces, and she could feel the dull throb of their pain in her bones. A low rumble was heard as the crowd began to softly sing “One in a Million.” And, Miss Diane released the first of the 22 doves as the song continued and Ana hung her head. 

With JC beside her, Aaliyah’s family to her left and friends to her right, Ana felt herself shut down. There was sadness, but rejoicing all around. There were tears, but laughter. She wanted to hide from it all. For the past six days, she’d fought hard to not swallow the bitter truth. But, in that moment, she couldn’t hide. Aaliyah had been taken from her, from them all, in an instant. And life, without her, would never be the same again. 

It was real. 

Her best friend was gone. 

In a blur, they were back in the town car, back in the condo, surrounded by Ana’s sisters as JC prepared to fly out. Ana sat on their bed, watching JC change from his black suit to comfortable traveling clothes. Gathering his small duffle bag, he turned to her.            

“I’ll be back on Sunday, babygirl,” he knelt in front of her, his warm hands resting on her bare knees. Her eyes avoided him, set on a point in her lap. Raising her chin with his fingers, her golden eyes finally met his clear sapphire eyes. “I love you baby.” 

She nodded, and breathed against his lips as he kissed her. He tasted her salty tears as they began streaming down her face, and his heart shattered knowing he had to leave her. Hugging her tightly one last time, he peeled himself away and exited the room. Her sisters were by her side in a flash, and that was the only thing that comforted him. She wouldn’t be alone. Now, if he could only make two days without her, then they’d be great.

End Notes:

I think we can all remember hearing the news, and the emotions that we felt that day. I was young, 12, at the time, and I can remember being distraught for weeks. I felt like I'd lost someone close to me, and so, I channeled those emotions for this one. I debated for a long time whether I should included it or not, and I just had to. Its like another dimension of Ana's character that no one had seen until now - she'd never been this broken.

Please review. It really does mean the world to us! Thank you!

Chapter 27: New York Minute: Right Behind You by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:

There's always a light at the end of the tunnel - if you just open your eyes, you'd see it.

New York City, New York

September 3, 2001 

I don’t know if you’re coming back

I don’t know if I even have the right to ask

I don’t know what you’re doing now

And if we have a chance I guess you’d probably said bye now 

Eleven days since her best friend had died. 

Five days since she’d buried her friend. 

Six hours until she was due back on full work-mode. There were places to go, people to greet, pictures to take, songs to sing, and asses to kiss. She didn’t want to be there. She didn’t want to work. She wanted to stayed locked in her condo, and mourn. Cry, scream, cry, scream, and then cry some more. She wanted to stay sprawled on her bed, like she was presently doing, and not have to face the world. 

Since Friday’s funeral, that’s been all that she had allowed herself to do. Her sisters had been with her for a few days until JC returned from Mexico. And, then, poof, they were gone. Deep within, she understood. They had jobs to get back to. But, she was too stubborn to accept that as the truth. 

Buzz Buzz 

That was her phone. Mercilessly, for two days now, her phone was on constant buzzing mode. Text messages about parties, concerts, and rehearsal reminders filled her phone’s inbox. With every new text, her mind always wondered if people didn’t know she was mourning. She’d lost her best friend, why would she want to go party? Hadn’t everyone lost a friend? 

Shaking her head in dismay, she reached for her cell phone that lay on the nightstand beside her. Flipping the device open, a bitter smile greeted her lips. 

B’s birthday bash, tonight, Sullivan Room, co-host          

“How could I forget?” she whispered, reading the text from her assistant Lacy. A while ago, one way or another, Ana had been roped by Ananda Lewis into co-hosting a birthday party for Beyonce. It didn’t make sense to her why she was needed to co-host the party when the birthday girl could do that, but now she was hooked. There was nothing left to do, but attend the party. The guys were back in town, and so was Britney. They would all be there tonight – thankfully.          

“I ordered some takeout to munch on before heading out, you ok with that?” her thoughts were startled when she heard JC’s voice from behind her. Lifting her head slightly to get a good view of him, she saw him standing against the doorframe of the bedroom. There was a hesitant look on his face, and she knew that she was to be blamed for that. 

Wordlessly, she extended her hand in his direction, beckoning him to her side. JC languidly pushed away from the doorframe, moving slowly towards the bed. He reached the foot of the bed, next to where her feet hung over the bed’s edge, and simply stood there.          

“Lay with me?” she inquired, patting the spot next to her. She’d never seen hesitancy on his face when she made the same request, and it unnerved her. A moment, or two, passed by before she saw his body twitch; his leg raising to climb onto the mattress.          

“How are you feeling?” he asked, his arm snaking across her midsection as he lay on his side, his arm bent supporting his head. Turning her head to look at him, she looked into his eyes. She wasn’t quite sure what the answer to that question was. But, it’d been a constant question she’d heard in the past week. Phone calls, text messages, or emails – they all asked the same thing. 

"And?" She turned her head to see Justin sitting next to her.

"How are you holding up?"

She was fed up. She was tired of the sympathy. She did not want to cry anymore. Constantly, there was someone asking her if she was okay. Stupid question. Of course she wasn’t okay. Her best friend was dead. Her sister was gone. She often wondered if her family was going through the same thing she was. Was someone in their face constantly? 

“I’m here” she’d reply with a shrug of her shoulders, hoping he’d drop the subject and not pry. But, it was Justin. And Justin was a pry-er. He’d only been back in the city for a couple of hours and he’d already asked her the same thing maybe six times. She’d avoided all eye contact with him; she knew that looking at his eyes would rope her in. He’d nag her until she cracked. 

“I’ll be here when you’re ready. We will all be here,” he’d say, pat her leg, and vanish. 

His hands slightly squeezed her side, breaking her from the depths of her thoughts. She managed a small smile in his direction before turning on her side to face him.          

“Talk to me, mama” he urged, coaxing her with his gentle voice. She didn’t know what he wanted her to say. In fact, she didn’t know what anyone wanted her to say. It wasn’t like she’d shelled up and kept everyone out. If anything, from the beginning, she had cracked. Every time someone asked her, and every time she cried. It was one more crack in her exterior. Here she was trying to repair the damage, and everything else was breaking her down.          

“I don’t want to hurt anymore” she confessed, her head dropping to rest against his chin. He pulled her closer to him, and she reveled in the feeling of his body against hers.          

“I wish I could say that the pain will disappear soon, but I can’t. It’ll take some time, honey,” he soothed and felt her nod against his chin. Smoothing back her curls, he cupped the back of her head and brought her head up to look at him. “Come on, let’s go eat something and then we’ll get ready. The guys should all be here soon.” 

“That too, I don’t think it’s fair that I have to go tonight. I don’t want to be there, and I don’t want to go to the show. Miss Diane and Rashad shouldn’t be there either. People are just going to look at them with pity. They don’t need pity. They need compassion,” she argued, as he pulled her up off the bed and gently tugged her out of the room. 

“Ana, do you think that maybe you should go see them?” he asked as they began their trek down the stairs. 

“I could never do that. What would I say to them? There’s nothing that I can say that will take their pain away,” she argued, frozen in midstep. 

“But don’t you think that they’d like to know that they aren’t the only ones hurting? That their daughter was loved and is missed?” he turned to face her, his eyes pleading her to understand. 

“They lost a daughter, a sister. I lost a friend. My pain is incomparable to them!” she argued, brushing by him as she rushed down the stairs. He tried stopping her but she was too quick for him. 

But, chances are you’re gone

But I hope you know that no matter where you are

I will never be too far away from you

And I know if you ever feeling down

And you need someone around

I’ll be right behind you 

“She was your best friend, Ana! She was like your sister! Don’t belittle your pain like that! You are very much entitled to feel this pain,” he argued, turning to follow her through the condo. He hadn’t known this was how she felt, but now, it made sense. 

“How can you say that, Jace? Diane lost her only daughter. Rashad lost his only sister. They loved her. She was family. How can I go up to them and say ‘I know how you feel’?” There were tears beginning to stream from her eyes as she stood at the end of the hallway. Her hands perched on her hips, her stance defiant and yet broken. 

“So, you’re going to put them through this again. You’ve told me in the past that Diane has been the mother you never knew. She took you in. You became a daughter to her. and now, you’re going to take another daughter away. Is that what you call fair? Is it? You’re going to heal her pain with more pain. Good plan, Ana,” JC argued, the weight and truth of his words falling heavy on her shoulders. Her hands slowly dropped from her waist, hanging wilted at her side. He hated having to be so harsh with her, but it was obvious that tender love was not helping her. “I’m not saying you shouldn’t hurt, cry, or scream. All I’m saying is that you cannot run from it. You have to face it one day or another. You think about that and get back to me.” 

Turning on his heel, he headed to the front foyer when he heard the downstairs buzzer. The food was here. Instead of buzzing in the delivery person, he decided he would walk down there. There was a confusion of emotions swirled inside of him; he felt angry at himself for the way he’d talked to Ana but he also felt like this might be the breakthrough that Ana needed. 

#### 

She was so caught up in her thoughts sitting at the kitchen island count that she didn't even realized JC had returned. The rustle of the plastic bags beside her had announced his return. She’d heard the front door close as she’d stood in the hallway, numb to anything but the pain in her chest. His words still rung in her ears and resonated in her heart. Reality was a bitter pill to swallow. And reality was that he was right, and she was selfish. She wasn’t the only person to feel the loss of Aaliyah. There was someone else finding it hard to breathe with Aaliyah. And, there was someone going to bed every night to an empty and cold space beside them. Each time her heart beat and her lungs filled with air, she felt the pain and so did someone else. 

I want nothing but the best for you

I wish you well, time will tell

If I’ll ever hear from you

And I know, baby, there’s no use

Drive these circles, tracing over our old routes 

“Ana…I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have…” JC began, but Ana quickly silenced him. Her hands grasped his, and there was a hint of a smile on her lips. 

“No, thank you. I know it was tough saying those things to me, but I needed to hear that. I needed to open my eyes and I needed to see what I was doing. So, thank you. You’re so right, and after we eat, I’m going to call Miss Diane and ask to see her tomorrow. Aaliyah would have kicked my ass if she knew how I was acting. I’m sorry. I really am. You’ve been nothing but patient with me, and I appreciate that so much. Thank you,” her golden eyes had a glint of restored shine in them. JC smiled at her confession, and hugged her close. 

“You’re going to be ok, Anita. I promise you,” he spoke against her lips as she reached up to peck his lips. It’d been the first kiss that she’d initiated since the last time he’d seen her before the passing. It felt wonderful. 

“Now I hope you ordered enough food, because I am starving!” she joked, turning quickly to the food on the counter. 

“Are you kidding me woman? Hands off my food!” he exclaimed, diving to steal away the Styrofoam container of spring rolls from her greedy hands. She laughed, managing to escape his reach as she circled the counter. 

“Learn to share! I haven’t ate in a long time, plus you’re supposed to be nice to me,” she argued, standing across the counter with a spring roll to her lips and a smirk on her face. 

“Oh yeah, and why is that?” JC quipped, raising a curious brow. 

“I’ve been mourning,” she cheekily smiled, and he laughed – ridiculously loud. In one swift motion, he was around the counter with his arm around her from behind. Together, they laughed like they hadn’t laughed in a long time. Pressing his lips to her temple, his arms tightened around her. She was going to be okay. 

#### 

The city was bustling with music’s biggest names – it was the week of MTV’s Video Music Awards. Traffic in the city was horrendous. Cabs and town cars were battling it out for lane space. The sidewalks were packed with partygoers in sequins, jewels, heels, leathers, and furs. Brown-nosing had become the single-most popular occupation in New York City for the week. Everyone trying to get into every place. And, it made sense. 

There were multiple pre-parties all over the city every night of the week. Nightclubs and restaurants hosted the self-proclaimed “Hottest Party of the Night” all over the damn city. And to add to the excitement, Michael Jackson’s 30th Anniversary Tribute Concert was to follow one of music’s biggest (or at least liveliest) nights. As their car continued to coast down the packed streets, she was thankful she was only attending the VMAs as a presenter. Yes, she was a performer at the Michael Jackson concert along with the guys and Britney, but she didn’t think she could handle preparing for two separate performances when her mind was still in a jumble.          

“How were rehearsals?” she tried to keep her mind occupied, starting a conversation with Britney, whom sat beside her. Ana knew she was performing her new single, but she hadn’t heard it and knew nothing of the performance.          

“They went well, but tomorrow we take it to the stage. I’m nervous about it, though,” she confessed, straightening out her jean mini-skirt that rode high on her thighs.          

“Ah, don’t worry girl. You’ll kill it,” Ana reassured her with a comforting pat on her knee and smiled at her. She was a sweet girl, and she considered her a friend. Despite whatever the media did to pin artists against one another, she could honestly say she didn’t have a grudge with any other artist. Britney’s bright smile made Ana feel good, and she was thankful for it.          

“Shut me up if I’m out of line, but how are you doing? J’s told me that its been rough for you. You doing better?” she asked, her voice dropping several decibels and Ana smiled.          

“I’m getting there. It’s been tough. But, you know, you and I have all these wonderful people around us, how can we be anything but okay, right?” Ana replied, her eyes looking around to the other guys sitting in the car. Everyone was in their own conversation.          

“Ain’t that the truth, hun?” Britney laughed, looking around at the maniacs that surrounded them. It was impossible to be down in the dumps for too long with these fools along for the ride. “Now, I say you and I get our party on tonight. What do you say? Should this pair of Southern ladies show these yanks how we do it back home?” 

Laughing incredulously loud, Ana caught the attention of everyone in the car. Britney had sounded so ridiculous that Ana couldn’t help but laugh. “You’re on sista!” 

####          

“I think we should both fear those two,” Justin retorted and shouted over the loud bass as he sauntered up beside JC. JC was leaning against the railing on the second floor of the Sullivan Room, and hadn’t heard what Justin had said. Instead of repeating himself, Justin simply pointed out towards the downstairs dance floor. 

“Are they lit?” JC humorously asked, now seeing what Justin was pointing at. In the center of the dancing crowd, he spotted the masses of brunette and blonde curls that belonged to both Ana and Britney. The speakers were thumping, the crowd was cheering, and these two were having the times of their lives. 

“I don’t know, but they are wildin’ out,” Justin exclaimed, watching them dance with each other. Every man’s eyes were on the pair. Between Britney’s mini-skirt and black cropped top and Ana’s skintight jeans and white criss-cross halter top, copious amounts of skin was on exhibit. Both held a drink in their hand, and bets could be placed that the plastic cups didn’t hold water. By the flush coloring of their skins, they were definitely intoxicated to some extent. And noting their provocative partnered dancing, they were reaching a limit quickly. 

“You two have the hottest girlfriends ever!” Joey rushed to their side, a drink in one hand and another in the air. Before they could respond, he’d rushed away and down the stairs. Shaking their heads in dismay, they turned back to the heated scene below. Joey had now found his way between Ana and Britney, and he was in heaven. 

“They are pretty hot, huh?” Justin mumbled, but JC heard him. Laughing, JC patted him on the back and squeezed his shoulder. 

“We’re doing alright, my friend,” he retorted and led the way through the crowds. They needed to get to their girlfriends before some creep bigger than Joey, if that were possible, made it to them. 

“Oooh…look who’s joining the party. Let’s dance baby!” Ana’s slurs were a dead giveaway that she wasn’t entirely in her senses. Her fingers gripped JC’s hand as she spun herself around to press back against him. Her drink safely tucked against her chest; she wasn’t letting it get spilled. Looking over to Justin, JC felt relieved that he, too, was dealing with Britney in a similar state. 

“You having fun, mama?” JC asked as his hands gripped her hips and his body followed her lead. She had the cocktail to her lips, so she only nodded her reply. He noted that really all that remained of her drink were the ice cubes and the orange peel and cherry speared on a toothpick. 

“I need a refill,” she pouted, digging the toothpick out and with her teeth, sliding the cherry into her mouth. 

“Let’s slow down and enjoy some dancing then we can drink some more,” JC suggested, turning her around to face him. 

“But you have a beer and I want a drink,” she whined, her sparkling eyes luring him in. Sighing, he grabbed her hand and began to steer her through the crowd towards the open bar located in the back of the nightclub. Before they could reach the end of the dance floor, the songs changed and JC was jolted as Ana stopped. 

“We gotta go back, come on!” she exclaimed and excitedly pushed through the crowd before reappearing beside Justin and Britney. 

“This was my shit!” Justin exclaimed as he held onto Britney’s hips, body rolling. Ana sauntered right up to Britney and began dancing with her. All there was left for JC to do was either join the train behind Ana…or behind Justin. Yeah, tough choice.  

Shorty swing my way
Sho look good to me
Now would you please
Swing my way
Shorty swing my way
 

Arms in the air, the air was electric. There was so much energy in the place. The dance floor seemed to have become more packed. Like the song brought everyone out of the woodworks. Looking around, every hot name in the industry surrounded them. The lights were low and strobe lights were blinding.  

Step off in da club
On a friday night
Lookin' fo a man
Dat'll do me right
1st move dat I make was
On the dance flo
Broke it one time
Then I went fo mo
Here's da code
Action what's happenin now
Start scoutin blendin throu the crowd
Looked ova to my left
And told my girl hey
If I see him again I'm a have to say



Polishing her rapping skills, Ana had become the center of the attention. Joined in the middle of the floor by Beyonce and Britney, they made an indelible trio. Camera flashes mimicked the pulsing strobes as the three performed the Kp and Envyi song from a few years back. 

Shorty swing my way
Sho look good to me
Now would you please
Swing my way
Shorty swing my way
(swing it ova here shorty)

The crowd joined in the choruses, and the girls egged on the partygoers. JC and Justin now simply dance with the crowd but watched the performance. It truly was a sight to see, both humorous and relieving. Ana was coming back. 

Gotta get up da nerves
To get my swerve on
Gotta do it fast or
He'll be gon
Cause it'll be... just my luck
Dat somebdy else will scoop him up
Can't have dat
Wanna be dat girl dat
Find herself a perfect match
Didn't wanna come off bein to fly
Gotta contact eye to eye
 

And then, as if a hunter smelt its prey, Ana twisted on her stiletto heel and can face-to-face with JC. Her eyes sought him out, and held him in his place. Sauntering towards him and singing the words to the hook, she beckoned him to her.

Then I walked ova to him slowly
Said I know u don't know me
But this might be my only
Shot at a tenderoni
 I've been watchin' u
From across da room
I wanna know yo name
Can u swing my way
Shorty
Swing my way
Swing my way...
            

“How about that drink, stud?” she whispered, her arm wrapped around his neck and her body flushed against his. He knew he should’ve said no to her, but his body’s craving for her touch betrayed him. Grabbing her hand, he once again led the way through the crowd. Pushing her up against the bar, he leaned over trying to get the bartender’s attention. Ana’s lips now assaulting his neck, sending delicious sparks down to the tip of his toes.          

“Someone give this woman a tequila Manhattan, ASAP!” he exclaimed, pounding his hand on the bar and feeling Ana’s giggle against his throat’s pulse point. Tremors coursed his body, heating up his blood. 

#### 

The morning sunshine rose from behind the Hudson River and now penetrated through the bedroom curtains, dancing along the olive-toned exposed skin in the middle of the bed. Appendages were tangled in the crisp white sheets. There was a dull thumping on the bedroom door, and it caused the sleeping occupant to stir.          

“Go away” her voice sounded gruff and muffled, her face buried deep into the pillow’s warmth. She tried to turn her head, but the sunlight produced a head-splitting throb between her eyes. “Oh shoot me.”          

“No can do, buttercup! Rise and shine!” the throbbing in her head and ears prevented her from hearing the rush of approaching footsteps until it was too late. Her small frame absorbed the impact of a much heavier and pudgier frame landing directly on her, the air rushing out of her lungs.          

“Can’t breathe” she gasped, struggling to catch her breath and to push whoever her attacker was off of her. Damn her for always managing to get tangled in the sheets.          

“If you couldn’t breathe, then you couldn’t talk,” her aggressor taunted, ruffling her already bird’s nest-like hair. She detested having someone touch her hair, and this gave her the energy boost to push her offender off of her and straight to the floor. He landed with a huff, “Not so gentle please.”          

“Is there a reason for your existence?” Ana sneered, her hand covering her eyes, shielding them from the offensive sunlight.          

“Besides to make your everyday brighter and richer, no sweetheart, I don’t think so,” he smirked, loving every second of her torture. Slowly removing her hand from her face, her eyes cautiously peeked open.          

“Why couldn’t today be cloudy and gloomy?” she groaned, dropping back onto the mattress, her fingers rubbing at her throbbing temples.          

“Oh quit the melodrama Meryl Streep!” he tossed a pillow at her, bouncing it nicely off the tip of her nose. In response, her nose scrunched and her lip snarled.          

“You’re such a comedian, Justin Randall! Now, I repeat myself, what the hell do you want? Shouldn’t you be tending to Britney’s hangover?” she squinted, damning every drink she’d drank the previous night.          

“Been there, done that, except she wasn’t as much of a pussy as you,” he smirked, evading her flinging arm and avoiding the stinging of his flesh. “Plus, she, like you and I, have a job to get to. So, I remind you that you have a fabulous rehearsal to get to in an hour and an even lovelier dinner date tonight. Let me suggest you man up, grab hold of your balls, and get out of bed. Jace and I will be downstairs, waiting,” his playful banter disappeared and he accented his demands with a snap of his towel on the top of her exposed thighs before exiting the bedroom in a hurry.          

“You bastard!” she exclaimed, sitting up in reaction to the stinging of her thigh. The sudden rush of blood to her head did nothing for her hangover, and in response, she rolled out of bed quickly. Only making it to the porcelain throne by the skin of her teeth, she indulged in a lengthy morning conversation.          

“Speak your mind, and I will break your neck,” she verbally assaulted JC and Justin as she walked into the kitchen a bit later, a menacing finger pointed at the two. Freshly showered and with an empty stomach, she felt relatively better. And now, dressed for rehearsals, she needed some asprin.          

“Good morning” JC ventured to say, not fearing possible lifelong paralysis at the hands of his manic girlfriend. Opting to bite her tongue, Ana simply glanced at him and pecked him briefly on the lips. The guys watched her move fluidly around the kitchen, tossing two asprin pills into her mouth, drinking three glasses of water, and throwing several apples, bananas, and oranges into the bag that slung from her shoulder.          

“Party at your place tonight, right?” Justin teased her as she bit into one of the Granny apples that she’d taken from the refrigerator. With glaring eyes, she provided him with an answer to his question.          

“Don’t you dare, Timberflake, or I will cut off your balls,” she threatened with a sickening smile on her face. On her way out the kitchen, she kissed JC’s cheek and patted the top of Justin’s head.          

“I’ll see you tonight, gorgeous!” JC called after her, craning his neck to watch her walk down the hall and out the front door. Hearing the slam of the door, he whistled lowly under his breath. “You sure do know how to piss her off.” 

Nodding in agreement, Justin nervously wiped at the perspiration that had accumulated on his brow, “She’s dangerous.” 

#### 

But, chances are you’re gone

But I hope you know that no matter where you are

I will never be too far away from you

And I know if you ever feeling down

And you need someone around

I’ll be right behind you 

The shake of her hands and the quiver of her voice scared her. This feeling of desperation was foreign to her. As the day had rolled on, the unsettling feeling in her stomach had increased tenfold. It was something she knew that she needed to do, but she couldn’t convince herself to leave the refuge of her bedroom.          

“You may burn a hole through to the bathroom if you stare any harder,” JC’s voice startled her as he walked into the bedroom. She sat on the edge of the bed, wrapped in a towel, freshly showered and staring ahead at the wall lost in distant thoughts.          

“Then you’d be able to peep without opening the door,” she retorted, her hands fidgeting in her lap. She watched the playful smile spread across his lips as he got closer to her until he stood before her. Tilting her head upwards, she met his eyes.          

“Why would I need to peep when I can just hop in there and join you?” he teased, his lips taking her bottom lip captive. It was his hands on her upper arms, holding her steady that settled her. It was the tender tug on her lips that soothed her. The warmth of his tongue caressing her tongue cradled her. The opposing forces of his tender caresses and his potent kisses awoke her.          

“I’m nervous and I’m scared” she confessed when he finally broke for a breather. There was an understanding smile on his face, ready to wipe away those worries and fears.          

“I would be too, but everything is going to be okay. You need to do this, mama. You need to settle this with yourself. I know you, if you don’t do this it’s going to eat away at you. You know that right?” he paused for a reply, and when she nodded, he continued, “I know you think you should go alone, but I know you want me there and I want to be there. So, get dressed while I shower quickly.” 

Right behind you, if your walls come falling down

Right behind you, if your silence was too loud

Right behind you, baby I would tell you

If you turn around 

Taking a deep breath to calm her nerves, Ana stood and walked into the closet off to the right side of the bathroom. It was dinner at Aaliyah’s family home, and she knew it was nothing dressy or special, but she still felt the need to look halfway decent. Miss Diane had said it would only be a few people, and Ana knew she know them all. She’d spent enough family barbeques and holidays with them to have gotten to know most of the family. As her fingers flipped through the clothes that hung on the racks, her mind drifted to JC. He’d been wonderful through this all. He’d been her silent rock from the very beginning. He never had to say anything to help her through. At night, when she’d wake from a nightmare, he’d hold her and rock her back to sleep. Never questioned anything, he simply knew when he was needed. And, she was thankful for his support, especially tonight. She didn’t know what to expect, and that scared her.          

“Come on, toots. I’m hungry, and you can daydream later,” he playfully hip-bumped her out of the way as he too walked into the closet with a towel wrapped loosely around his narrow hips. She smiled at his playfulness, but her attention was on that droplet of water that had escaped his tresses. She was marking its trek down his neck, over his shoulder, across his collarbone, gaining some speed as it crossed his chest and made its way to the valley leading to his belly button.          

“I don’t think I could dream you looking any more delicious than you do right now,” she spoke, her voice in a trance. Realizing what she said, she blushed and he laughed.           

“You’re damn right,” he joked, smirking at her blush. It was so easy to make her blush, and it took advantage of it at every available moment. 

“One of these days I’m going to leave you hurting,” she warned, her finger playfully wagging at him. 

“I can only pray so much.” 

And from the corner of her eye, she watched as he slipped into a pair of black boxers. The cotton material hugged him nicely, leaving a beautiful sight to make her mouth water. Slipping a patterned strapless dress that hit above her knee, she reached around the back to raise the zipper. But, his fingers were on it quicker. He zipped the dress with ease and placed a soft kiss on that spot where her neck curves into her shoulder, her spot. 

“I love when you wear dresses,” his voice soft and soothing. She turned to answer him but he was gone. Fishing out a pair of black sandals, she quickly reached down to buckle them and head out of the closet. He was standing in front of the vanity mirror in the restroom, his hands spreading gel into his curls. His frame now covered by a simple white tee and a pair of khaki pants that sat low on his hips. He could always make the simplest clothes look so sexy and so incredible. As she came up beside him, he smiled at her before dipping right back out of the bathroom. He’s such a tease, she mused. 

“Let’s go darlin’,” she spoke with her twang as she found him in the living room, patiently waiting for her. Looking up at her, he smiled and joined her in the foyer. 

“You look so beautiful, babygirl,” he spoke, once again making her blush. 

“You and I have a date tonight, stud,” she replied, and his eyebrows raised in shock. He wasn’t expecting her to say that. Hell, he wasn’t expecting her to be in any kind of mood after visiting with Aaliyah’s family. 

“Babygirl, I don’t think you’ll be in the mood for anything after tonight’s dinner,” he hoped that his observation wouldn’t upset her. He knew that tonight would be tough for her, and he didn’t want her going into it expecting one thing and something else happening. 

“Baby, have a little faith in me. Tonight is about being there for them, and them being there for me. It’ll be a long journey, and tonight is just another day on that journey. I’ll be ok. You’ll be here with me and that’s all I need. Now, I think I’ll have a craving for some ice cream tonight. What do you say? Will you have ice cream with me tonight?” the smile on her face told him that she spoke the truth. And, he couldn’t deny her that request as she stood before looking gorgeous, relaxed, and happy. 

That I hope you know that no matter where you are

I will never be too far away from you

And I know if you ever feeling down

And you need someone around

I’ll be right behind you

I’ll be right behind you

I’ll be right behind you 

“I’m right behind you, babygirl.” He opened the door for her, and she kissed his lips before stepping out.

End Notes:

Please...review! 

Song Credits: 

Swing My Way - Kp & Envyi

Right Behind You - Ashley Arrison

Chapter 28: The Miracle Worker by jersey_tenn
Author's Notes:

So, I'm a slacker! I promise to do better than this update-once-a-month routine that I've had going on. I will do better!

And...THANK YOU TO EVERY SINGLE READER THAT NOMINATED ME FOR THE NF AWARDS!

stories/1567/images/200x60-2.jpg

It is such a risk that we all take putting ourselves out there. We always ask for reviews, criticism (positive or negative) because we want to be better than our previous self. But, it is such a vulnerability. And, to be recognized by your peers is truly humbling. Thank you.

September 5, 2001 

“Shut up Chris…you breathe like a damn warthog,” Justin hissed under his breath, elbowing his accomplice beside him. There was a grunt in response to the elbow in the gut, and a few chuckles from the rest of the peanut gallery. 

“When I was a…oof” Joey’s Lion King tribute was cut short by a sharp blow to the back of the head. “Don’t even think about it, Joe!” 

“Geez guys, lighten up on the abuse,” Britney’s meek voice calmed them all as they approached the heavy wooden doors leading to the rehearsal studio at the end of the hallway. Armed with a video camera, the group was planning on crashing Ana’s dance rehearsal and taking her hostage to a late lunch. Each artist had been in rehearsals all morning for either the VMAs or Michael Jackson’s tribute concert. They’d earned a small break. 

The vibrations of the music blaming through the speakers could be felt out in the hallways. The treble and the bass resonated stronger the closer they came to the entrance, and each of them looked at one another as the music became recognizable. A small smile forming on their faces; her set was going to be insane. 

Quietly, they stepped into the expansive studio with shining wooden floors and floor-to-ceiling mirrors. They’d entered from the back corner of the studio, so they watched her from behind as she followed closely Wade, he ran through the steps at a slow count. This was her first time working with Wade, and she’d only found it fitting to bring him to choreograph a Michael Jackson piece. The look of concentration on her face mended their hearts – she was back. 

Johnny had expressed his concerns with Ana taking the stage, and not delivering. Aaliyah’s death had taken its toll on her, and they all felt a sense of uselessness. They didn’t know how to help her besides being there for her. She needed to break down, so she could rebuild. But, she wouldn’t budge. Her dinner the night before with Aaliyah’s family had been put back pieces of heart she hadn’t know she’d lost. And, yes, she still cried in the shower and she changed the radio stations whenever Aaliyah’s songs played. Life continued, and hers was no different. Seeing a shadow of her old-self settled everyone’s fears.

“Run through it from the beginning, don’t stop! We’ll fix errors at the end. I just need to see it through. Ana…” Wade voice echoed over the music as it began to fade out. She’d been laughing hysterically at something one of the dancers had said behind her, but she’d stopped when Wade called her name. “Sing with the track, test out the vocals with the breathing.”

“She looks good,” Britney commented, standing next to JC, who stood feet shoulder-width apart and arms cross at the chest. There were maybe six or eight dancers behind her as she stood in her favorite pair of grey cotton sweats and black tank. Her shirt was tied up in the center, stomach muscles glistening with sweat and clenching with strain as she breathed hard. She never looks bad.            

“She’s been doing better, I think performing will help her a lot,” he replied, never taking his eyes away from her. Her eyes had caught sight of them, and she’d missed her entrance, so Wade restarted the song and glared at them. One-by-one they raised their hands in a show of innocence, Wade smiling in return. 

Last night, JC had accompanied her to dinner with Aaliyah’s family. Despite her dread, JC knew that it had been not only therapeutic but healing for her. The night had started a bit awkward, no one knowing how to approach the subject. Until finally, Miss Diane had had enough and in the middle of serving her casserole, she slammed the spoon on the glass oven plate and demanded everyone to relax.            

“Aaliyah’s dead, there. That’s the huge elephant in the room. Let’s have a good dinner, and we’ll talk later,” she said, looking at Ana pointedly. Ana casted her eyes downward from being scolded, and she took a deep breath. She felt JC’s hand squeeze her knee, and turning to look at him, she felt relief to know that he was there beside her.            

“Could you serve us already?” she felt her lips twitch as she mouthed off to Miss Diane in mock-attitude, the wonderful aroma of the green bean casserole circling her senses. Seeing Miss Diane’s smile in response, Ana felt the night’s stress melt off her shoulders. 

“I’m gonna go film from the front,” Joey announced, slinking his way along the wall towards the front of the studio. They all followed, wanting to see her perform face-to-face. The funky beat pulsed in their ears, the treble bouncing in their chests. She was singing now, dancing fluidly with the dancers. It always amazed them how natural and talented she was on the dance floor. She was fearless when it came to new choreography or to the introduction to a new style. 

Normally, her dance routines were a bit gritty and street-influenced. Her music was more R&B than pop, and so her dance reflected her music. But, with her cover of a Michael Jackson song, Wade’s choreography was more masculine – smoother and more suave than she was used to. And, her hard work was paying off – she was killing it. 

The look of sheer determination on her face as she made the song her very own and didn’t half-ass the run-through was captivating. Everyone was wrapped up in her voice and her movements. The pulsing of her body as the hook and chorus crept up, the disco beats taking over her hips. Her quick footwork and intoxicating hip thrusts were mesmerizing. She was going to rule the night of Michael Jackson covers. Her number would outshine everyone else. Her voice was strong, and it fit the music perfectly. The rasp and grit that made it her signature were there, as was the eccentric Jackson funk. This performance was going to bring the Garden down. There would be a party on the stage, on the floor, and in the rafts. 

“Hey…what’s up?” Wade walked over to them, greeting them all without taking his eyes off of the routine. He was beyond satisfied with the choreography; of course, there were a few mistakes here and there, spots to tighten up, and to polish it all. But, overall, he was satisfied. 

“Hey yourself, man. How are you?” Justin greeted him, the two sharing some handshake before letting each other go. 

“Doing good, man. How are things going over with Lisa?” Wade asked, knowing the guys were probably giving his assistant hell. Their choreography had pretty much stayed the same for their VMA performance except for a few new transitions and one brief new remix section. He’d ran through it with them the day before, and had left Lisa to tighten up some spot with them today. The show was tomorrow night, and they only had one last rehearsal after today to work on the routine. 

“You probably already know, so why ask?” Lance quipped, a devilish smile on his face; they’d given her hell. They all laughed, watching as Ana neared the end of the song. “You outdone yourself, Wade.” 

“Nah man, it’s all her. She’s a god, there ain’t nothing I can throw at her that trips her up. She’s fearless,” there was a whimsical tone to his response as the music came to an end, and Ana dropped to the ground. 

“Should I be jealous, Wade?” Britney kidded from a little further down the line. She was posted against the mirror, arms crossed, concentrating on Ana’s footwork. She was great. 

“Nah, chill out, B. You’ll always be my favorite dancer, B,” he flashed his megawatt smile, and she smiled in return. 

“Cool it, Wade,” Justin playfully warned, but the guys sensed it truly meant it. Several times in the past he’d expressed his dislike of the playfulness in Wade and Britney’s working relationship. And knowing Wade would be traveling in her upcoming world tour did nothing to settle Justin’s uneasiness. 

“Damn girlie, you’re gonna kill me young,” Joey joked, breaking the tension that had consumed the sidelined group. With the camera in one hand and pointed at Ana, he walked towards her, hooting, hollering, and praising her performance. Ana laughed and shooed him away as he reached down to her. The camera poised in front of her sweat-drenched face, and she struggled to cover up. He ignored her flailing hands, instead wrapping his arm around her and easily lifting her to her feet. 

“You’re such an oaf, Joe,” she laughed as her weary feet made contact with the floor once again. Joey shrugged and laughed off her insult, knowing she meant it with love. “’Sup guys?” she greeted, Joey’s arm wrapped around her shoulders and guiding her towards the group. They were all mockingly bowing down to her, praising her and clapping for her. “Oh shut it.” 

“That was great, girl!” Chris exclaimed, taking a step forward and wrapping her up in a huge hug. Holding onto his shoulders, Ana laughed before urging him to put him down. Surprise visits from these guys always put her in a good mood. She locked eyes with JC, and he beckoned her to his side. Smiling, she sidestepped Chris and crossed in front of Wade and Lance to get to his side. His arms reached out for her, and he pulled her in by the waist. 

JC’s mouth descended on her before she could greet him. Her body pulled flushed against his body. One arm wrapped around her bare midriff and hand resting on her right hip, and the other wrapped around her shoulders, hand resting on her left shoulders. There was a brief moment of silence from the group as they all processed what was going on, and then the conversation around them continued. Yet, it was like they were underwater. Everything around them was muffled except for the increasing beat of their hearts in their ears. Relaxing against his body, Ana felt warmth envelop her body from the floor up. The softness of his lips wiped her brain clean. The strong, yet gentle grip of his hands on her body shrugged off her stress and fatigue. Her hands came alive, reaching up and clenching his shirt material at his sides. Her fingernails began to lightly dig into his sides. 

A deep, almost guttural moan escaped her throat as she felt his tongue trace the inner edge of her bottom lip. She responded by deepening the kiss, passionately and rapaciously. His hand left her shoulder and dove into her hair, his fingers tugging at it. His grip tilted her head to the side, allowing him further access to her.            

“Ok, ok…we get it! You’re smoking. He’s sizzling. And together, you are sexing up in public!” Chris exclaimed, pulling them apart with a hand on each of their chests.            

“And you’re touching my girlfriend’s breasts…” JC breathed, his chest heaving from the lack of oxygen to his lungs. The raised eyebrow and playful stern look on his face ignited the blush that crept up Chris’s face. Chris turned his head slowly and looked down to where his hand lain. Sure enough, it cradled Ana’s breast.            

“My bad…” he laughed nervously, pulling back his hand and avoiding the look on Ana’s face as the group dissolved into a fit of giggles. Things like this always happened to Chris, it was standard procedure.            

“It’s been too long…” her chest rose and fell rapidly as she fought to catch her breath. Chris smiled, JC scoffed, and the guys hollered.            

“Come on, Juliet, let’s leave these Romeos here. I’m starving,” Britney smirked, regaining some composure and making her way to Ana’s side. Wrapping an arm around her waist, the blonde superstar led the brunette superstar away from the giggling and teasing crowd of boys. Ana laughed, looking back to make sure the guys followed.            

“Wait! What are we eating?” Justin hollered, his stomach growling. The entire group was walking back down the hallway towards the elevator, the girls wrapped up in their chitchat. Britney and Ana looked at one another, contemplating what to eat before they both smiled.            

“PIZZA!” they exclaimed, already savoring the large slices of cheese, pepperoni and mushroom gooey goodness. In the short time they’d known one another, they’d spent many nights gossiping and pigging out with boxes of pizza and soda. It sounded empty-headed to say, but they had images to maintain. Their bodies had to be tight, toned, and taut. And so, their diets were strict. But, with each other, they allowed themselves to break all rules. Of course, they always ended up at a gym burning off all the calories. But, to them, those were moments they wouldn’t give up. Truthfully, they’d both become best friends.            

“Y’all plus pizza equals gossip,” Justin groaned, stepping into the elevator. The girls were dwarfed by the six guys and two bodyguards that joined them on the elevator cart. Pushed to the very back of the elevator, they only giggled in response. 

####            

“Watch your toe on that turn, Ana,” Britney pointed out from her position on the floor, sitting up against the mirrors. After lunch, Britney had hung around Ana’s rehearsal to discuss costume sketches and props with Wade for her VMA performance. It would be elaborate, and she still had not seen the actual stage. Tomorrow morning, she’d spend all morning running through the performance on stage before the show. Ana wouldn’t rehearse Wade until after the awards show. He needed time to focus on the guys and Britney, and Ana was all too happy to relax for a day.            

“I keep catching myself there, and I eff it all up,” Ana groaned, throwing her fists in the arm and stomping a few times for good measure. The dancers behind her sighed as the music was stopped and restarted. It was nearing the end of the seventh hour of rehearsal, everyone was tired and simple mistakes made them cranky.            

“One last time, and we call it a day. We’ll fine tune in a couple of days,” Wade announced, clapping out the beat as they began to dance.  

Sweat dripped from her forehead onto the wood floors with every twist and turn. Britney bobbed her head with the beat, eyes closely watching Ana’s dancing form. When Ana performed, she had everyone in a trance. From the roll of her body to her hair flying in her face, she made every person feel like they were watching a private performance. She always made eye contact with someone in the audience, and they became her focal point – her muse. Like in this moment, Britney was the lucky one. Golden eyes held chocolate eyes. Every movement was intentional. The placement of her hands, the jerk of her hips, the twist of her legs, and the clench of her abs, she had it all down.            

“Watch your toe, watch it, watch it…yes! That’s it!” Britney exclaimed, excitedly clapping for her. For the last hour, she’d watched Ana struggle with that one step that seemed to throw the rest of the routine for her. There was a smile on Ana’s face as she conquered that bump and moved on.            

“Good work everyone. I will see y’all in three days, be prepared!” Wade announced, patting Ana on the back as she hunched over gasping for air. The routine was intense and she wasn’t used to the vocals yet, but she had time to work on it. Smiling, she straightened up and side-hugged him before moving over to her stuff and dropping to the floor. Stretching out her legs and arms, she felt her body begin to relax. Waving and smiling, she watched her dancers exit the room.            

“Lordy, I’m tired,” she laughed to herself, realizing she’d spoken aloud to no one. Wade and Britney were off in a corner hunched over strewn papers on a wobbly folding table. Their conversation was hushed, but the occasional laugh could be heard. Shaking her head, Ana gathered her towel, cell phone, and bottle of water. Her afternoon plans consisted of a hot shower, a nice dinner, and maybe a movie. She hadn’t done that in a while, go to the movies. 

Life had been nonstop for some time now, full of ups and downs. It never let up. Like a rollercoaster that never came to a stop, she wanted off. Last night had been a reminder of the repercussions of getting caught up in life. She’d spent a wonderful evening with her boyfriend, and her best friend’s family. They’d watched home videos, and shared stories all night. From the grief she’d felt only the morning before, joy and totality had been birthed.            

“Don’t you go hiding on us, child! We will find you,” Miss Diane said as they stood in the foyer of her Brooklyn home. JC stood behind them saying goodbye to Rashad and Jared, Aaliyah’s cousin. And wrapped in her warm embrace, Ana was close to tears as their night came to an end. Turning back to the guys behind them, Miss Diane asked them to leave her and Ana alone. So, Rashad and Jared walked JC out the front door without question.            

“Ana, sweetie, the pain isn’t going away today, tomorrow, or next week, and you need to accept that. As cruel and cold as this sounds, the world doesn’t stop because we hurt. The world is full of suffering, day in and day out. But, it is also full of people overcoming it,” Miss Diane’s hands firmly gripped Ana’s shoulders, forcing the young woman to keep her attention on the older woman’s face and words.            

“Aaliyah always called you her miracle worker,” Ana smiled, recognizing those words of strength and fortitude.            

“Yes, well, Aaliyah was always a smarty pants too,” Miss Diane chuckled, a brief somber look crossed her face, “And, we will both come to learn that love heals everything, honey. And love is all there is. Love from your family, from your friends, and even from a stranger. Love is love, in whatever shape or form. Don’t shut us out, sweetie. Let us heal each other.” 

With tears in her eyes and knots in her throat, Ana nodded as the weight of Miss Diane’s words settled on her heart. Hugging her tightly, she followed suit and stepped out of the home. Never once did JC question her what Miss Diane had said to her, instead he’d wrapped his arms around her and hailed a cab home. 

Smiling, she came to a conclusion. She was going to be selfish. She was going to bask in the love that she missed the most. Tonight, she would talk to JC about that vacation he’d mentioned a few weeks ago. She needed one. He needed one. They deserved one. Where to go? 

Where hadn’t they been to?            

“Snap out of it, Sleeping Beauty,” Wolf’s deep voice jostled her thoughts. She’d walked out of the studio, into the elevator and rode it up to the building’s lobby. Turning to see him follow her out of the elevator, Ana slowed her pace and let him catch up to her. Instinctively, she cuddled up to his side as his large arm wrapped around her. She was always safe and secure beside him.            

“Sorry I didn’t see you there, Wolf,” she genuinely smiled, and his heart warmed. The past couple of weeks he had worried that she was lost in a place so far away and so dark. He’d feared that no one could reach her. He was right. It’d been her return to music, albeit begrudgingly, that had shined the light for her safe return.            

“It’s quite alright, Tiger, where are we heading?” he replied, looking down at her youthful face. He watched her nose scrunch up in response to the nickname. He wasn’t all that much older than her, about ten years, but to him, she was his daughter. And it was his duty to protect her from all.            

“You know only Justin gets away with calling me that…” she playfully warned, softly clicking her tongue at him. Ruffling her hair in response, he followed her across the expansive lobby and towards the exit. “Let’s go home, Wolf.” 

####

“I got rhythm, I got music, I got my girl, who could ask for anything more?” JC softly sung as they walked down Broadway, their hands intertwined, arms swinging and heels tapping. There was a slight chill in the late summer night breeze, and it caused chill bumps on Ana’s exposed shoulders.            

“I got daisies in green pastures, I got my man, who could ask for anything more?” she sung in response, a little louder than JC. She turned her head up to watch his profile, and she caught him looking down at her, a smile on his face. A mischievous sparkle in his eyes, and she knew he was up to no good.           

“Days can be sunny, with never a sigh. Don’t need what money can buy,” he stumbled through the classic lyrics, causing Ana to giggle at his antics. She was sure that if he had a top hat and cane at his disposal, he might give Gene Kelly a run for his money.            

“Birds in the tree sing their dayful of song, why shouldn’t we sing along?” she let go of his hand, twirling and skipping a little bit ahead of him. There was a freeing sentiment she’d felt all night with him. Earlier in the evening, she’d gotten home, showered, and planned to cook something easy before waiting for JC to get home. Instead, he had sat waiting for her outside of the bathroom, showered and dressed.            

“Better get dressed, we’re going out. Just you and me,” he announced, kissing her lips before leaving her to get dressed. Smiling, she’d dressed casually and hurriedly.

Through this all, he’d been the most she could have asked for. He knew what she needed before she knew herself. He’d bring tubs of ice cream and chocolate to her, and he’d stuff his face with her in silence. He never pushed her to open up or to talk. Instead, he held her hand, gave her comfort, and gave her time. 

And here they were, it was nearing midnight and they were walking aimlessly down Broadway singing to one another. It was like a scene out of a movie. Boy and girl, walking home from a movie date, holding hands, blushing under the twilight, and hearts bursting with love.            

“I’m chipper all the day, happy and yet hot. How do I get that way? Look at what I’ve got,” he sang, adding a skip to his step and Ana dissolved in laughter. She stopped their stroll, one hand resting on her hip and the other covering her face. Her laughter’s volume slowly increased with the shake of her shoulders. “Why are you laughing?” 

JC was confused, and felt left out. He wanted to laugh too.            

“It’s not ‘happy and yet hot!’ He sings ‘happy with my lot,’” she managed through her giggles, and JC felt his face begin to warm up. Okay, so maybe he no longer wanted to laugh along with her. She was laughing at him. Wrapping his arm around her shoulders, he pulled her along to continue their stroll.            

“Yeah, yeah, I flub the lyrics, and you laugh. You mistaken the actor, and I sympathize,” JC playfully pouted, pulling her closer to him. She tried to calm her giggles as she wrapped her arms around his waist, snuggling into his warmth. Shaking his head, he knew that he couldn’t pretend to be upset. He kissed her forehead once, twice.            

“I still can’t believe you found that movie,” she spoke after a few moments of silence between them. After getting ready earlier this evening, they’d taken a cab to McSorley’s on 7th Street and after a quick dinner, JC had led the way back to Broadway and Mercer. Ana had complained the entire way that she wasn’t dressed for a Broadway show, and JC ignored her completely.            

“Sometimes you’ve got to hush up and trust me,” he’d joked, but she knew when he truly meant it. So, she silenced her complaints. And, she was pleasantly surprised when he stopped at the corner and turned her around. Before them, the letters over the arched doorway spelled, Angelika Film Center. She’d been confused until JC pointed to the movie poster hanging by the door, An American in Paris. 

Maybe her choice of jean shorts, off-the-shoulder yellow blouse, and sandals wasn’t the best choice for such a sophisticated atmosphere like the Angelika Film Center, she didn’t care. Her excitement from the gesture, from seeing the movie, and from feeling like herself again overshadowed any petty worry. They’d sat in the small café outside of the theatre doors waiting for the showing to begin, a smile ever-present on her face. Her hand in his the entire time.            

“I saw the flyer over at the studio, and I remember Justin teasing you for never seeing a ‘classic’ Hollywood film. But, now you have,” JC shrugged, burying his free hand in his jean’s pocket. When working, he could become so self-engrossed that he often overlooked anyone else’s needs. Thus, on nights like tonight, every gesture warmed her heart, and she fell in love with him – over and over again.            

“You’re a sweet man, Josh,” she whispered, tugging his hand and stopping in the middle of the empty sidewalk. He turned, his ocean blues beaming down at her golden rays of sunlight, to face her, questioning her. She smiled, knowing that her randomness always threw him for a loop. She brought their hands up to her lips, softly kissing them, her thumbs rubbing away the faint lip gloss marks on the top of his hands. His eyes followed her every move, curiosity masking his handsome features.            

“I could never have made it without you these past few weeks, Jace. Thank you,” she smiled her words tender and truthful. Sheepishly, he shrugged as is saying ‘it’s no big deal.’ “But, it is a huge deal. You stood strong, and you never faltered. I love you with everything in me, and I just want you to know that I am so thankful for you.”            

“You reap what you sow, mama. I do for you what you do for me,” he replied, his hand cupping her cheek; instinct had her face nuzzled into his touch. She did not have words to reply; he always managed to make her speechless. All there was left to do was smile, and kiss his luscious lips.            

“A picture of me devouring you in the middle of Broadway is gonna be posted on the Page Six in the morning,” he teased, his lips softly brushing against her lips. Smirking, she kissed him passionately.            

“Well, it’ll either be a picture of you devouring me or me assaulting you, take your pick,” she teased, her hands wrapped around him and finding their way into his back pockets.

“Are we feeling a bit frisky?” his eyebrow arched, and his lips turned upward into a leer. Tossing her head back, she laughed, freely. Looking back at him, she bit her lower lip and nodded her head. Seeing the hunger in her eyes through long lashes sent him into frenzy. 

Taking hold of her hand and pulling her back up Broadway towards Houston Street towards their condo. It was a mile or so away, and at a normal pace it would have taken about fifteen to twenty minutes to reach it. But, he was pulling her along at a slow jog. The pit pat of his sneakers and her sandals echoed in the still of the night. Far enough from the city to only hear muffled cab horns and indistinct hollering, there was a peace about the Lower East Side.

“I’m gonna make it so hard for you to walk the red carpet tomorrow evening,” he teased. She laughed. 

####

“To four Moonmen and two kick-ass performances!” Ana raised her glass in the center of the large group, as they all gathered at some nightclub for the after-party. The guys had rocked the stage and had swept the categories. The guys’ performance of “Pop” had rocked the house. All the colors, the music, the energy…it’d been a party on stage. And, then, Michael Jackson came onstage. And the audience was on its feet, going wild. No one besides the guys and a few people knew of that surprise; Britney and Ana had been clueless. 

Britney. Her performance of her new song had left everyone slack-jawed. Pythons, tigers, feathers, sweat, and lots of skin had proved to be the winning recipe for the audience. She looked incredible. She was like an Amazon woman in her own private jungle. She’d left everyone speechless. 

And, Ana was like a proud mama in the audience through each performance. 

“And to dresses that get shorter each year!” Joey wiggled his eyebrows at Britney’s lace mini and Ana’s silver metallic mini before Kelly slapped him on the head. Joey blushed and tried to redeem himself, “And thank God for your dress, honey” 

It didn’t work. 

The show had been flawless. No crazy unplanned antics, and no crowd brawls between artists. The tribute performance for Aaliyah had been a bit awkward, and confusing, but Ana appreciated the effort to keep things light. She had walked the red carpet, but skipped all interviews except for MTV’s John Norris. Her only role in the program was as a presenter, so she was content to stay in the crowd as the supportive girlfriend and friend. All the hoopla surrounding the awards show had been lost on her until she was there, and now that she wanted to celebrate every win for her friends. 

There were people every way she turned, wanting to catch up with her. Being on tour kept her away from industry functions, so she sometimes lost touch with friends. Besides the glitz and glamour of awards shows, her favorite part was always seeing people that she hadn’t seen in a long time. JC held her at his side the entire night, introducing her to his circle and she did the same thing. Sure, they’d attended awards shows together in the past but this time it was different. 

There was strength, comfort, and unity between the two. Repeatedly, JC would pull her off to the side and make sure that she was good. A couple of days ago, she would have been in shambles, being eaten from the inside out by grief and self-pity. But, she was okay. Maybe she’d never be great like before, but she was okay. 

A hug here and a kiss on the cheek there, the night began to slip away from her catching up. There were magazine photographers at every corner, capturing celebrities with each other. And Ana was sure that in every picture, they were together. Finally, everyone regrouped around a few small side tables. The excitement had not yet died down, even as fatigued set in and a sensible bedtime neared for them all. 

“Let’s dance!” Justin announced pulling Britney out onto the dance floor and letting the others follow their lead. JC had gotten wrapped up in a conversation with Lance and Nelly, so Chris took hold of Ana’s hand and led her out to the crowded floor. There was a mastermix of many hits playing, and Ana was having fun acting silly with Chris, surrounded by Joey and Kelly, Justin and Britney. 

“I can’t believe we’re all performing with Michael tomorrow,” Chris’s expression was a mixture of pure excitement, disbelief, and fear. 

“You mean you can’t believe you performed with him tonight?” she teased, knowing that it hadn’t clicked in his head just yet. She saw the expression evolve on his face, and it made her happier. 

“Dude! I performed with Michael Jackson tonight!” his dancing stopped, and his arms waved excitedly. He looked to her for affirmation. Ana laughed before nodding her head in response. He scooped her up in his arms, and swung her around; she laughing like a maniac. 

“And we’ll perform with him, two nights!” she egged on his excitement, loving every minute of this moment. It was moment like these that kept her feet planted firmly on the ground. Moments of humility and disbelief that reminded her of all the luck surrounding her life. Feeling her feet land back on the club’s smooth floor, she watched Chris disrupt Justin’s dance to announce his new discovery. 

“Why so lonely?” JC’s arms wrapped around from behind, his lips speaking directly into her ear. She smiled, turning her head to rest on his shoulder to look at him from a better angle. 

“I’m not lonely,” she replied, a radiating smile on her lips and a sparkle igniting in her eyes, “I’m lucky.”

End Notes:

It is amazing what watching classic movies on amc can do for a girl's inspiration. Along with that, youtubing Marc Anthony always puts me in a romantic mood, and so...TAH DAH! I felt there was a need for JC and Ana to get back to one another. After the last chapter, I kept asking myself:

At your lowest, who do you turn to?

And, all I could think about were my friends, my boyfriend, and my family. It's human nature to do the same.

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1669