Love the Hurt Away by WhiteSoxLuvr9
Summary:

Chris got his heart broken by his true love.  Will he ever be able to pick up the pieces and love again or give up on love all together?

Oh I was broken hearted
Feeling sad and all alone
I thought I was going crazy

I thought the pain would last forever
I thought he'd never ever hurt me and wound me
Over and over again

Ohh
When you tried into my world
You showed the loving ways of how
A guy should treat a girl
The love you give that makes me breathe again.
 
 - "Luv the Hurt Away" - Britney Spears.


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Chris Kirkpatrick, Group
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, General, Humor, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 51449 Read: 25864 Published: May 16, 2009 Updated: Apr 14, 2013

1. Chapter 1 by WhiteSoxLuvr9

2. Chapter 2 by WhiteSoxLuvr9

3. Chapter 3 by WhiteSoxLuvr9

4. Chapter 4 by WhiteSoxLuvr9

5. Chapter 5 by WhiteSoxLuvr9

6. Chapter 6 by WhiteSoxLuvr9

7. Chapter 7 by WhiteSoxLuvr9

8. Chapter 8 by WhiteSoxLuvr9

9. Chapter 9 by WhiteSoxLuvr9

10. Chapter 10 by WhiteSoxLuvr9

11. Chapter 11 by WhiteSoxLuvr9

12. Chapter 12 by WhiteSoxLuvr9

13. Chapter 13 by WhiteSoxLuvr9

Chapter 1 by WhiteSoxLuvr9

Chris set his empty beer bottle on the table next to him while the bass pumped throughout his body.  He sat back in his seat and let out a breath of relaxation.  The past month had been hell for him and it was the first time since the ending of his last relationship that he went out.  His fingers rubbed the burning feeling in his eyes as he thought about his ex, Karen, and the pain she dragged him through.  He still couldn't put past the fact that she had been cheating on him for the past month.  He should have known by how she was acting but it never clicked until the day she confessed because she felt guilty.

Chris let out the breath he was holding in his lungs and slowly started to unclenched his fists as his sides.  Slowly, he opened his eyes and looked around the club to keep his mind off his ex.  Feeling the seat in the booth he was sitting in shift, Chris continued to have his eyes look around the club, not bothering to see which one of the guys just sat down next to him.

"So Joey and that blonde seem to be hitting it off, huh?"

Chris's eyes left the dance floor that was down in front of them and turned to look at where the voice came from.  Chris watched his young friend bring his glass to his lips and take a sip.

"Yep."  Chris replied with a soft chuckle and looking back on the dance floor.  "That red head didn't do it for ya?"

Justin glared at him out of the corner of his eye before taking another gulp of his drink.  "Don't act like you didn't see the whole damn scene she made when I walked up to her.  I think my ears are still ringing from her squeal.  By the way, thanks for saving my ass your jerk."

Chris laughed while sitting up straight in his seat while his eyes went back to the dance floor.  "It was entertaining and she seemed to enjoy the moment.  Why should I ruin the fun for her?"  He teased.  Chris's body froze when his brown eyes landed on a girl on the dance floor.  Damnnn.  Chris told himself, his eyes traveling from her black hair to her smile that seemed to light up the whole club.  He watched her as she laughed with her friend that she was dancing with and motioned with her hand on going to the bar.  Chris sat up in his seat, leaning forward slightly as he watched her body slip through the crowd of people toward the bar.

"Dude," Justin smacked Chris's arm, bringing him out of his trance.  Chris turned to look at his friend while rubbing the spot where he just got hit.  "Are you alright?  I've been talking to you for the past five minutes and you didn't answer."

"Huh?..Oh yeah, fine."  Chris looked back toward the bar and found her still standing there in a yellow top and a pair of black shorts.  Justin gave him a questionable look and followed his gaze toward the bar.

"Who you checking out?"

"Who says I was checking anyone out?"

Justin let out a snort and rolled his eyes.  "Oh yeah because the bartender guy is such a looker."

Chris licked his lips as he watched her brush back her dark hair over her shoulder.  "She's in the yellow top and black shorts.  Uh..black or really dark brown hair, I can't tell in the club.  She's next to the guy in the green shirt."

Justin smirked while twirling the glass in his hands, letting out a low whistle.  "Nice."  Justin nodded his head before nudging him with his elbow.  "Go talk to her."

"Nahh."  Chris waved it off as he sat back in his seat.  Justin sighed, setting his drink down on the table and gave Chris a concern look.

"Man, she isn't Karen."

"You don't even know."  Chris narrowed his eyes at his friend, feeling his body cringed at just the sound of her name.

"You won't know till you find out right?  Live a little."  Justin smirked and patted Chris on the arm.  "Anyways, no one could be like that bitch."  Justin added in with a nod.

He's right.  Chris told himself.  It won't kill me.  What do I have to lose?  Chris rubbed the palms of his hands against his pants before standing up and making his way out of the VIP section.  Why was he so nervous?  It's a girl for crying out loud!  His job involved dancing and singing in front of people he didn't even know.  He's talked to people he never knew, and here he was, walking towards the bar, slightly freaking out inside.  I'm not asking her to marry me or anything, just someone to strike up a conversation with.  Keep my mind off that whore.  Taking a deep breath, he took one last step and stood next to her.  Please don't scream when I walk up to you.  Silently he prayed.  He watched her lean her elbow onto the bar counter, resting her chin in her hand and tap her foot impatiently against the floor as the bartended walked over towards him.

"What would you like?"

Chris turned toward the bartender that was in front of him and ordered himself a beer.  After hearing a huff, Chris cranked his neck to look at her as she rolled her eyes, standing up straight.

"What am I, chop liver?"  She grumbled, shifting weight towards her other foot.

"Being ignored?"  Chris asked her, silently thanking God for an easy way to strike up the conversation with her.  The girl turned to look at him as she sighed.

"That noticeable?"

"I dunno...Could have been the huff or the chop liver comment."  He joked.

"Well, nice to know that someone could notice it...unlike someone."  She spread her arm out toward the bartender.   "I mean heelllooo!  What does a girl have to do to get a damn whiskey sour?"

Chris chuckled and took the beer the bartended placed in front of him.  "Can I also have a whiskey sour?"

She looked at him; her jaw slightly dropped as the guy behind the bar nodded his head and walked off to make it.  "This is bullshit."  She mumbled, climbing up onto the bar stool next to him and crossing her ankles behind each other.  "I call sexist."

Chris laughed, sitting onto the stool next to her and taking a sip of his beer, letting the cool liquid slide down his throat to try and calm his nerves.  After setting his drink down in front of him, he out stretched his hand towards her way.  "Chris."

She looked at him, looked down at his out stretched hand before raising hers out also, shaking his hand.  "I know how you are.  I would have to be living under a rock for the past couple of years to not know.  I'm Nicole."  Chris smirked, holding her hand a little bit longer as he felt her soft, warm skin against his.  His brown eyes landed onto her eyes, memorized by the green specks sparkling from the light.  Her eyes were the most beautiful eyes he had ever seen.  Letting go of her hand, he shifted to one side, pulling out of his wallet from his back pocket and placing a bill in front of him once the bartended brought back her drink.

"Keep the change."  Chris told him, before turning slightly, giving his attention back to Nicole.  He reached his arm out, placing his hand on her arm as he watched her pull out money out of her pocket.  "On me."

"Oh no, don't worry about it."  She told him without looking up.  Chris gave her a slightly squeezed, causing her to look back up into his eyes.

"You sure?  I feel bad for you paying for it without you knowing me."

Chris gave her a wink as he took another sip of his beer.  "Positive; and the whole not knowing you part, we can change that."

Nicole smiled, looking over her shoulder to try and find her friend.  "Sounds fine with me since it looks like my best friend has already found a new dance partner."

Chris placed his hand on his chest with a hurt look on his face.  "Oh, so because she is busy I'm okay to talk to?  I get it now; backup."

Nicole laughed, setting her drink back down in front of her.  Chris smiled as he listened to her laugh ring in his ears.  It was a beautiful sound.  She didn't have a really loud, annoying, or an obnoxious laugh.  Her laugh made him instantly smile.

"You figured me out."  She snapped her finger, "Damn."  Chris smiled and turned to look up towards the VIP section, seeing Justin giving him thumbs up.  Rolling his eyes, he turned back toward Nicole and held his beer bottle in his hand.

"Well since you know what I do for a living, what do you do?"

"Pre-K teacher."  She replied, taking another sip of her drink.

Chris froze from his motion of taking another sip of his drink and looked at her.  "Seriously?  You don't look like one."

"I know.  Here I am, a Pre-K teacher at a club.  Shhh."  She brought up a finger to her lips.  "Don't tell any of my kid's parents; I don't think they would totally enjoy knowing that."  She winked at him.  "There isn't anything else in the world I would want to do than teach Pre-K.  All the kids have to do it smile, and they win your heart.  You just want to fold them up, put them in your pocket and take them home."

Chris smiled.  They way her face lit up while she talked about her job was the same way he did about what he did for a living.  The way she as talked with so much passion about her job made her even more beautiful than she already was.  He sat back in his chair and let his eyes slowly travel the length of her.  She was intoxicating.  Nicole tucked her hair behind her ear and placed her empty glass down.  Ever since he saw her move along on the dance floor, he was dying to know how she felt with her body against his.  He just had to know.

"Want to dance?"  He asked her, taking his last sip of his beer and set it down next to her empty glass.  "It can be your ‘pay back' for the drink."  He smirked.

Nicole felt her heart skip and the corners of her mouth turn up.  "Sounds like a deal."

Chris hopped off his chair and held his hand out, helping her down from hers.  His mind instantly went hazy the moment her fingers brushed against his.  His hand wrapped around hers protectively while pushing his way through the crowd to the dance floor.  It amazed him how right her hand felt in his.  It felt perfectly in his hand, like a jigsaw puzzle.  Moving into a spot, he turned around and watched her turn on her heels, leaning her back against his.  His own hands automatically went to her waist, drawing her against him while both of their bodies moved in rhythm to the music.  His tongue slid across his bottom lip, his eyes drinking her in and for a split second he wondered what he'd done to catch her attention.  He rocked their bodies to the beat of the music during the couple of songs the DJ played.  His focus was grabbed by the small tattoo on Nicole's left shoulder blade.  Tilting his head slightly, his eyes focused on the small butterfly, three small letters tattooed underneath the creature, slipping out from being hidden from her top.  Courtesy got the best of him but before he could get a closer look, her voice drew him out of his dazed.  His head jerked up to see Nicole's friend standing in front of her, stumbling.

"You my love are so wasted."  Nicole teased with a chuckled, holding her friend straight.

"I am soooo good."  Her friend slurred before letting out a small hiccupped and wrapped her arms around Nicole's neck.

"Uh huh."  Nicole shocked her head.  "Tomorrow you sure as hell won't be.  I think it is time to get you home, drunky."

Chris chuckled to himself as he watched the two girls playfully argue over that it was time to leave.  "Do you need help?"  He generously asked as he watched Nicole struggle keeping her friend to stand up straight.

"Please?"  She begged before laughing softly, wrapping her arm around her friends shoulder and did her best to hold her up.  "I knew I should have watched how much she was drinking.  I know this is so payback for the times she has been my D.D."

"Here," Chris told her, moving to the other side of her friend.  Swiftly, he picked her friend up in his arms and looked at Nicole.  "Lead me the way."

Nicole gave him a soft smile and he could tell by the look in her eyes she was silently telling him thanks.  Pushing her way through the crowed, she kept looking over her shoulder to make sure Chris and her friend were right behind her, safe.  Opening the door of the club, she held it open as Chris walked out sideways to make sure she didn't hit her friends head against the door frame.

"Thank you so much."  She told him as she pulled her hair up in a pony tail.  "I dunno what I would have done with you."

"No problem."  Chris glanced at her as he walked beside her toward the parking lot.  "Anytime."

"I'll keep your word."  Nicole flashed him a smile as she pulled her key out of her pocket.  "I'm the silver jeep to the right up ahead."

Chris nodded as he shifted her friend in his arms.  "How long have you been teaching?"

"Three years."  She replied, pushing the unlock button on her car and opening the passenger car door.  Chris leaned over and carefully placed her friend in the seat.  After buckling her seatbelt, he stood up and took a step back.  Nicole closed the door with her hip and smiled when her eyes connected with his for the second time since they started talking in the club.

"Sorry couldn't get to stay longer."  Nicole apologized and motioned her hand toward her friend in the car.  "But really, thanks again.  You really didn't have to."

Slipping his hands in his back pocket, he slowly rocked back and forth on his heels all along nodding his head, understanding.  "Oh don't be, been in that situation before."  He pulled his bottom lip between his teeth, surprise by his nervousness.  "So uh," Chris stuttered.  The moment she looked back up at him he felt his heart pound harder in his chest.  He couldn't believe on how nervous he was feeling.  You are being fucking ridiculous.  Just ask for her number!  "I don't know if I count that short dance section as a payback for the drink."

Nicole giggled.  "Oh really now?  Says whom?"

"Me."  Chris replied without a beat and gave her a wink.

"Well than I guess I still owe you."  Nicole smiled sweetly.  "I'll give you my number and we'll set up a payback."

"Deal."  Pulling out his cell phone, he placed the device in her hand and watched her chew on her bottom lip while adding herself to his phone.  His brows knitted into confusion when he watched her hold her cell up after pulling it out of her pocket, lighting up, seeing his number flash across the screen.

"Proof I am not giving you a fake number."  She replied while handing him his phone back.

"Smart."

Nicole shrugged her shoulders as if it was nothing.  She glanced back at her friend and smirked.  "Kara I swear to god if you throw up in my car I will leave your ass here."  She warned, half joking.

Chris chuckled, sliding his cell back into his back pocket.  "You better get going before she does get sick.  Drive safe."

"You too."  She told him all awhile walking to the driver side of the car.  "Thank you again for your help.  Nice meeting you.  Goodnight."

"Night."  With a nod of his head, he took a couple steps back and watched her while she turned on her car and backed out.

"Ohhh.....Help her with her friend and walk her to your car?  What a gentleman you are!"

Chris quickly turned on his heels to find the rest of the guys standing behind him, all with the same matching smirks across their face.  Rolling his eyes, he kicked a small pebble that was in front of him.

"I'm ready to go, you all with me?"  Chris asked.

"Did you get her number?"  Joey asked, ignoring Chris's question as he swung his arm around Chris's shoulder.

"Joey, I think you are the only person I know who can make any sentence dirty."  Lance spoke up, pulling the car keys out of pocket.

"What!?"  Joey exclaimed, moving his arm from Chris and holding his hands up in the air.  "All I asked was if he got her number!"

"Made you sound more like a booty call number."

"Soo?"  Justin prided while Joey and Lance bickered in front of them.  "Did ya?"

Chris sighed, slightly annoyed with the guys antics.  Finally, he gave in.  "Yeah."

"Alright!"  Justin pumped his arm in the air in victory.  "Think you're going to call her?"

Chris half shrugged his shoulders before looking over them to see if he was able to see her car anymore.  Not seeing it, he slipped his hands back in his pockets and shifted his gaze back in front of him.

"Yeah."

Chapter 2 by WhiteSoxLuvr9
Chris closed his eyes as he leaned back his head against the back of the couch.  It had been four days since he met Nicole at the club and still hadn't called her.  Sure, he really wanted to but he was scared.  Not about rejection, but over being hurt again.  His heart was already shattered and he knew there was no way he would be able to take any more pain that he was already in.  Karen not only played with his heart, but she played with his head.  She had him believe that she was crazy in love with him.  That she was the one.  Two years they had been together, and two years just washed away in a heartbeat.  Maybe Nicole wasn't at all like Karen, but how did he know?  Karen completely blindsided him by her actions.  The Karen he met two years ago was kind hearted, funny, witted; everything Nicole was that night he met her at the club.  Maybe it was all an act because he was a celebrity?  He wouldn't have been surprise; it was an everyday ritual for him.

"Yeah Johnny, and Chris got some chicks number."

Justin's voice drew Chris out of his thoughts.  "What about me?"  He asked, slightly confused on what the conversation was about.  All the guys, minus JC, were sitting in Johnny's office for a minor meeting about upcoming events.  The instant he sat down on the couch, his mind went off to his own little world.

"I told Johnny how you finally got your ass out of your depressed bed and went out to the club couple nights ago and that you got a chicks number; a cute one on top of that!"  Justin turned around in his chair to look at Chris.  "Have you called her yet?"

"No."  Chris grumbled as he slid down to get more comfortable on the couch.

"What?"  Justin exclaimed, sitting up straighter.  "It's been four days!  Why?"

Chris shrugged his shoulder nonchalantly and closed his eyes.  Quickly opening them when he felt something hit him.  Looking down, Chris found a rolled up ball of paper lying at his feet.  Rising a brow, he looked up at the culprit, Justin, who sat there with a huge smile on his face.

"Yeah man, why haven't you called her?"  Joey asked while plopping a chip in his mouth.

"Oh god."  Chris groaned while rubbing his face with his hands.  "Leave me alone.  It would just be friendship always so stop getting your panties in a twist."

"He's still on his ‘all females are evil' thing it seems."  Lance added in with a nod before grabbing a chip out of Joey's bag and shoving it in his mouth before Joey was able to get it back.

"Not everyone is going to be like Karen, Chris."  Johnny told him.  Chris groaned loudly, flopping his head back against the back of the couch.

"Yeah, Allie isn't."  Lance spoke, smiling brightly as he mentioned about his girlfriend.

"Where's JC?"  Chris asked with slight annoyance in his voice, wanting to change the subject.  He really didn't want to sit here and talk about his love life....well, lack thereof or about the other guy's love life either.  It was the last thing he really wanted on his mind.

"It's Jace, he's always late."  Johnny said in a casual tone, sitting back in his chair.  "So what about this chick, Chris?"

Chris sighed loudly.  "Her name is Nicole.  She is a Pre-K teacher.  That's all I know."

"And that she's cute and seems to be into you." Justin nudged Chris with his foot.  "Which I dunno why."

"Well, be careful.  You don't know if she is trying to use you for your celebrity status or anything."  Johnny warned.

"I know."  Chris whined as he rolled his eyes.  "She just, didn't throw off that vibe or anything.  She didn't even freak out when I went up to talk to you.  We were talking like...I dunno.  Like how we are talking, casual."

"Well we didn't know Karen was such a cheating whore but---"  Justin snapped his mouth closed once he saw the death glare Chris was giving him.  "Sorry."  Justin apologized, holing his hands up in the air in defeat.

"I'm here."  JC hurried into the room and plopped down in the chair next to Justin.  "Sorry."

"And you're late."  Justin said in a mocking tone.

"And you're dumb."  JC mocked, smacking Justin on the back of the head.  Cracking his knuckles, Chris turned his attention back to Johnny as he started the meeting.  Soon, everything that the guys were saying before flooded in his brain.  They are right.  I won't find out how she is if I don't call her.  What's the worse can happen?  I get hurt again?  Don't think that is even possible to be in more pain than I am in now.  Hell, what harm can come from having another friend?

 

~*~

Walking into his house, Chris tossed his keys onto the kitchen counter and dragged his body toward the family room.  Plopping onto the leather couch, he dropped his legs onto the table in front of him and turned on the TV.  Groaning when he saw nothing good on was, he dropped the remote next to him and laid his head back.  Meeting with Johnny went fine; for parts that he actually listened and wasn't in his own world.  He tugged his cell phone out of his back pocket and stared down at it.

"I should call her, shouldn't I, Busta?"  Chris asked as his dog plopped down next to him on the couch.  The pug lifted his head up lazily to look at him before plopping it back down against the leather.

"Bum."  Chris mumbled, chuckling softly to himself while tossing his cell in the palm of his hand.

"Oh the hell with it."  Slowly, he moved down his contacts list till her name appeared, and quickly tapped the send button with the tip of his finger before he changed his mind.  Taking a deep breath, he held his cell against his ear and looked down at the pug.  "Well here goes nothing."

"Hello?"  The voice said breathlessly. Chris crinkled his brows in confusion.  It sounded like her voice, but like they were out of breath.  Chris pulled his cell away from his ear and looked down at the screen to make sure he called the right person.  Seeing her name on the screen, he placed his cell back to his ear.

"Uh, hey Nicole.  It's Chris....from the club."

"Oh hey, sorry.  I was running."

Chris rolled his eyes.  Of course he would just happen to call when she was doing something and he interrupted her; just his luck.  "I'm sorry.  You can call me back later after you're done if you want."

"I was just about to stop at the end of this block and walk back actually so no worries.  How have you been doing?"

"I'm Fine. Just meetings here and there, you?"

"I've been doing well.....Sorry." Nicole apologized after taking a deep breath.  "It's been a while since I ran.  I'm so out of shape."  She chuckled.  "Oh god, and once again sorry; I'm just rambling about crap you could care less about."

"It's fine."  Chris said amused.  Out of shape?  Hunny you are far from that.  He told himself.  Chris tried to push Busta off of his lap when the pug jumped up and tried to lick him.  "I ramble all the time."  A small smile tugged at the corner of his lips when he heard her chuckle over the line.  Quickly the smile fell when he realized what he just said.  Hitting himself in the forehead, he ran his hand over his face.

"I think everyone does, doll.  Some people notice it, some people don't."

Smiling, Chris readjusted himself to get comfortable and laid down on the couch.  He couldn't put a finger on it, but he somehow thought how she just called him doll was cute.  He couldn't think of a time that someone ever called him that, but he liked it.  Maybe it was because it was from her, but it didn't matter.  He placed his free arm under his head and looked up toward the ceiling.

"And you just want to tell them to shut up, but you can't."

"Exactly!"  She exclaimed with a laugh.  "More than half the time it is someone you don't really know well, ‘cuz hell, if it was one of your friends you could tell them to shut up and both just laugh it off.  With someone you don't know you're like; please keep that information to yourself.  I don't want to know about your third nipple or anything."

"Third nipple?!"  Chris laughed.

"It was the first thing that came to my head!  Don't judge!"  Nicole exclaimed, laughing along with him.

"I don't think I want to know what is going on in that head of yours, Ms. Nicole."  Chris teased over the phone.

"I don't even know what is going on in this head of mine sometimes."  She confessed with a giggle.

"Mhm...That's what all the crazy people say."

"Are you calling me crazy?"

"Maybe I am, maybe I'm not.  Who is going to know?"  Chris smirked, moving his arm from behind his head and dropping his it off the side of the couch, scratching the top of Busta's head.  It amazed him by how little time they have known each other that they could have this easy flow of a conversation.  The thought of it brought a smile on his lips.

"I'd have you know that I am not crazy and....oof!  Well that just didn't prove my theory right and made me look like a fool."

Chris raised a brow.  "Huh?"

"Well, you know how smooth these sidewalks are and everything."  She said sarcastically.  "Well I was just walking, caring on a conversation with this guy who is claiming I'm crazy, and I was above to fight against him to prove him wrong and I totally tripped over the uneven sidewalk.  Witness around me can now use it against me to prove you right.  I just looked like a fool."

"Yes!"  Chris chanted before he broke out into laughter.  "Chris 1, Nicole 0.  Girl, must I tell you that I am already right."

"I dunno about that.  I'm sure the whole beaded hair you once had was a wrong decision."  She shot back at him jokingly.  Chris gasped dramatically; his jaw dropping once he heard the words.

"Oohhh low blow.  That was a hit below the belt."

"Ooh."  She mocked him, making him smile.  "Chris 1, Nicole 1."

"I guess I'll give you that one.  Next time you won't be so lucky."

"Bring it."

Chris opened his mouth to say something but all that came out was a groaned when he heard the doorbell and cursed under his breath.  "Damnit; doorbell."

"Answer it?  From what I have collected, normal people usually go to their door and answer it when they hear a knock or their doorbell."  Nicole joked.

Pushing himself off the couch, he dragged his body toward his front door.  "And how many people have been attacked or killed by doing that?"  He joked while continued his way toward the front door.

Nicole huffed over the line.  "You have to be so difficult don't you?  Fine, most people look through the peephole before the opened the door.  Happy now?"

"Eh."  He replied with a shrug.  "I guess it will do for now."  Looking threw the peephole he let out a small annoyed sigh when he saw JC on the other side of the door.  He made a note to himself to kick JC's ass after he opened the door for having him to end the phone conversation.  "Hate to end this but one of the guys is here."

"That's totally fine."  She told him.  "I'm just about to walk up to my apartment and need to take a shower."

"I'll call you later?"  Chris said hopefully.  He swallowed the lump in his throat.  Nervousness shot threw his body as he waited for her response.

"Sounds fine to me."

The moment the words registered to his brain over what she said, he felt a shot of electricity go through his body.  Chris took a deep breath to control himself before he lost his cool.

"Good.  Talk to you later Nicole.  I really enjoyed talking with you."

"So did I Chris.  Talk to you later, bye."

It's all friendship, Chris.  Chris told himself as he opened the front door.  Last thing you need is a relationship and get fucked over again.

~~~~

Nicole looked down at her phone in disbelief.  Not only did he actually called her, but wanted to talk later?  He wants to talk to her?  A non-celebrity; a Pre-K teacher; and confessed that he enjoyed talking to her.  Chris Kirkpatrick wanted to talk to her out of everyone else in the world.

"Oh my god!"  Nicole squealed to herself.  Looking up from the phone, she felt her face burn from embarrassment when she noticed the look an old lady was giving her as she walked by.  Instantly the teasing of him calling her crazy ran threw her brain.  She chuckled at the mini argument and shook her head.  Although the muscles in her legs were burning and protesting her to stop, she felt like she could run all the way back to her apartment.  Agreeing with body, wanting to be able to move tomorrow, she quickly dialed the number she knew by heart and pressed her cell against her ear, cheerfully.

"Hello?"

"Oh my god oh my god oh my god!"  Nicole squeaked into phone.

"What?  What happened?  Are you okay?"  Her best friend, Kara, quickly asked in concern. 

Since the age of five, Kara and Nicole had been inseparable.  Through thick and thin, they had always been there for each other.  They knew each other like the back of their hand.  Together, they were double trouble.

"I..why the hell do I sound like a teenager?!  I'm in my twenty-six!  Oh god I'm such a fool.  Kara, he called me.  He actually called me!"  Nicole said excitedly.

"What the hell are you talking about?  Who called you?  And can you please lower a couple of the high octave notes in your voice, I'm sure a dog is going crazy at this moment."

Nicole rolled her eyes.  "I'm going to ignore that because of my happy mood.  Anyways, Chris called me!"

"Chris...?"  Kara drawled out in question.

"Chris...as in Chris Kirkpatrick, from NSYNC; whom I met at the club.  The one that carried your drunken ass out of the club that night."  Nicole smirked, picturing her friend rolling her eyes on the other side of the phone.

"Shut up....Shut up.  He actually called you?!"  Kara asked in disbelief.

"What is that suppose to mean ‘he actually called you'?"  Nicole asked, looking up at her apartment building when it came into view.

"He's famous, that's all I meant.  Forget it, tell me everything!  Spill!"

"Okay, so I'm out running..."

"Perfect timing."  Kara interrupted and both of the girls chuckled.

"I know!  I thought it was you so I answered it out of breath."

"Sexy."  Kara interrupted again.

"Shut up and let me finish!"  Nicole walked up the steps of her apartment building.  "Anyways, he call's and I apologized for breathing heavily on the phone, knowing that is nowhere attractive, and I kind of rambled because I felt bad on trying to catch my breath and we got into a conversation and..."

"You ramble when you're excited or nervous."  Kara pointed out, interrupting her once again.  Nicole rolled her eyes and ignored her friend as she continued talking.

"Anyways, so than we got into talking about how strangers come up to you and ramble about way to much information, way more than you wanted to know and I used the example of a third nipple..."  Nicole stopped when she heard Kara burst out laughing on the line.  Rolling her eyes, Nicole pulled her key out of her sweatshirt and unlocked her door.  Kicking off her shoes, she set her keys on the table and plopped down on the couch.  "Are you done yet over there?"

"Third nipple!?  Third nipple!?  Where the hell did that come from?!"

"I dunno."  Nicole groan, flopping her head back against the couch.  "After I said it I wanted to curl up into a hole and disappear forever."

"Sometimes I wonder about you."  Kara continued as she sighed.  "What else did you guys talk about?"

"Well," Nicole pushed herself up from the couch and walked toward the kitchen.  "He then called me crazy after the whole third nipple incident and we kind of had a joking argument over it.  Was I was about to, I made a fool of myself tripping over the sidewalk and he went on saying Chris 1, Nicole 0.  Chris said that he is always right and joked about the braids he once had in his hair wasn't right, and that it was a bad decision and the score became Chris 1, Nicole 1."

"You told him what?!" Kara exclaimed over the phone.

"That the whole braided hair was a bad decision."  Nicole repeated, taking a sip of her water bottle she pulled out of the fridge and feeling a little uncertain to why Kara was freaking out over the situation.

"You told him, you actually told him that?"

"Yes?"  Nicole hesitated.  She chewed on her bottom lip while making her way back to the couch.

"Oh, Nicole."  Kara sighed heavily.  "What else did you guys talk about?"

"Wait."  Nicole plopped back down on the couch.  "Why did you just freak out right now?"

"Nothing...Nothing..What else happened?"

"Okay..." Nicole said distrustfully.  Waving her friend strange actions off, she placed her feet on the table in front of her and tapped her toes against it.  "Well it kind of ended there.  One of his guy friends showed up so he had to get off the phone.  He said he would call me later and that he enjoyed talking to me."

"Okay so he said he would call you later as in what?  Later today?  Later down the week?"  Kara asked.

"Uhh..I dunno?  I didn't really ask.  Sounds kind of needy like?  I don't want to throw that vibe ya know?"  Nicole told her friend as while slouching down in the sofa to get more comfortable

"Mmm..."  Kara hummed in agreement.  "You're right.  Good thing you actually used your head for a change."

"You're just on a roll of comebacks today, aren't ya?"

"Just one of those days, what can I say?" Kara joked.

"You would have thought that Chris Kirkpatrick would want to talk to me?  Me...a Pre-K teacher." Nicole told her best friend, still in complete disbelief of everything going on.

"Just a friend?  I'm thinking he wants more."

Nicole rolled her eyes all while picking at her nail polish.  "He just got out a relationship.  You've seen it all over the gossip magazines and the news.  He got cheated on, and anyways you always think that.  Stop reading those fairy tale romance books.  Not everything runs that way you know?"

"Whatever.  I better get back to work, call me if he calls and hopefully I'll prove you wrong.  Bye."

"Will do.  Stay out of trouble.  Later."

Tossing her cell on the couch, she pulled herself up and walked towards the bathroom to take a shower.  Peeling off her sweatshirt and tossing it towards the hamper, Kara's words flooding her brain.  Nicole stopped once she stepped into her bathroom and looked at herself in the mirror.

"Chris Kirkpatrick and I....Nahh."  Nicole chuckled, shaking her head while closing the bathroom door with her foot.

Chapter 3 by WhiteSoxLuvr9

 

"Is there a reason I couldn't have just told you this over the phone?"  Nicole asked Kara.  Kara cut off a small piece of her chicken and ate it.

"Because you called me right when my lunch was starting so...why not go out to lunch with my best friend?  Is there a problem with that?"  Kara told her after she swallowed the food in her mouth.

Nicole gave her friend a cynical look before taking a sip of her water.  "No, I think that you were hungry and didn't want to be alone so why not drag me with?"

Kara smirked and shrugged her shoulders.  "Didn't want to be alone; wanting to chill with my best friend," Kara waved her friend off with her hand.  "Same thing; anyways, spill."

"I told you.  He called me back later that night."

"I got that."  Kara sat back in her seat and narrowed her eyes at Nicole.  "You are such a pain in my ass.  I wonder why I stay friends with you.  Explain the whole get together thing."  Kara wiggled her fingers toward Nicole.

Nicole looked at Kara's fingers that were wiggling at her.  Raising a brow she looked back up at her friend.  "Don't ever do that again."  Nicole placed her fork next to her empty bowl and sighed.  "You're making this a bigger deal than it already is.  He is cleaning out his garage and commented how he didn't have any boxes.  All I did was mentioned that I had tons of cardboard boxes from when I moved into my apartment that he can have, and offered to give them to him.  I'm not going to need them.  They are taking up space in that closet anyways."

"Mhm."  Kara hummed nonchalant.  "And that is where you're heading to after our lovely lunch?"

"Yeah."  Nicole licked her lips than rolled her eyes when she saw the smile Kara had on her face.  "Wipe that smirk off.  I'm telling Taylor to have him stop you from getting any more of those romance books."

"Taylor wouldn't dare.  It keeps me quiet; you think he will let them be taking away?"  Both girls chuckled.

"Whatever."  Nicole responded.  That was true.  There was no way her fiancé, Taylor, would stop her from buying the books.  It was either that, Kara reading her mushy romance books or her talking his ear off while he is watching TV.  Neither Taylor nor Nicole could understand how Kara could enjoy them.  Taking money out of her wallet, she set it on the table and stood up.  "Ready?"

Kara nodded her head and stood up.  After walking out of the restaurant, they made their way towards their car and gave each other a hug.

"If anything happens, call me!"  Kara shouted toward her, followed by a laugh.

"Oh my god, bye!"  Nicole hopped into her car and brought her Liberty Jeep to life.  Pulling out, she pulled out the piece of paper of directions out of her purse and started to read it.  She placed the paper on the passenger seat and turned up her radio.

"Turn right...two blocks down...turn left...house on right."  She mumbled to herself, shoving the directions back on the seat and taking the turn.  Slowly, her eyes widen when she came up to his house.

"Damn, do you really need a house that big?"

Pulling up to the silver box, she rolled down her window and pushed the call button.

"Hello?"  Chris voice boomed over the speaker.

"Cardboard lady is here."  Nicole joked.  She chuckled when she heard Chris's laughter through the speaker.

"Nice.  Alright I'll let you in."

Rolling her window back up, she pulled up into his driveway and parked her car.  As she hoped out, she saw Chris walking out of his garage, making his way towards her with a smile on his face.

"Hey Nicole."  Chris greeted her with a hug.  Caught off guard, Nicole stood there in his arms stiffly before she wrapped her arms around him to hug him back.  Chris smiled when she returned the hug and took a step back.  "How was the drive?  Where the directions okay?"

Nicole nodded her head and popped open her trunk.  "I didn't get lost so it all worked out good.  Here are the cardboard boxes."

Chris smiled and started to pull the flat pieces of cardboard out of her trunk.  "You're a life saver you know that?"

Nicole gave him a wink and pulled out some of the pieces.  "I know I know I'm such an amazing person."  Chris chuckled.  She flipped her black hair out of her face and looked up at him.  "Where you want them?"

"Follow me."  Chris responded and started walking toward the garage.  Nicole stopped in her tracks once she saw his garage.  Her eyes slowly looked around his garage.

"Did a bomb blow up in here or something?"  She asked while placing the cardboard next to where he set his.

Chris rubbed the back of his neck with his hand and looked at her with a small smile.  "You see why I needed the cardboard boxes?"

"You need more than cardboard boxes to fix this land mind."  She told him as she continued took in the site around her.

"Yeah, it's just a little messy."  Chris confessed.

"Messy is an understatement."

"And that's why you're here."  Chris joked while putting the boxes together.

"Huh?"  Nicole jerked her head back to look at him.

"That's why you're here."  Chris chuckled as he repeated himself.  He stood up after taping the bottom of the last box and looked at her.  "What, did you think you were just going to drop the boxes off and leave?"  He tossed the packaging tape across the ground and gave her a look when he saw the confession look on her face.  "You got to be kidding me.  I'm not that rude; having you drive all the way out here; drop off boxes, and leave."  Chris shook his head as a smile appeared on his face.  "Anyways, you still owe me."  He told her, winking at her while walking past her.  "You can't leave."

"Oh that would look good on the news; NSYNC's Chris Kirkpatrick holds a female hostage in his garage.  What would your fans think?"  She replied, setting her purse down.

Chris chuckled and he pushed some objects next to the box in front of her.  "I dunno?"

"And why couldn't any of the guys help you?"  She asked him.  Nicole sat down in of the box and carefully started to place the objects he placed by her into the box.  Nicole looked up at him and watched him place a couple objects into the box he was working on.

"Why have the ugly mutts help me when I could have someone a lot better looking to help?"  Chris smiled at her and laughed when he saw her roll her eyes.

"Stop buttering up.  I'm here aren't I?"

Chris smiled and kept his eyes on her.  He watched as she concentrated on carefully placing the items into the box.  His eyes followed her tucking her black straight hair behind her ears and blow her side bangs out of her face.  Every time she looked at him with her sparkling green eyes, he couldn't help but stare.  They were bright, beautiful, and breath taking.  They always seem to have a sparkle to them.  His tongue ran along his bottom lip when he saw her lean forward, her pink t-shirt rising up a bit from the hem of her black shorts to show her tan skin on her back.

"Chris?"

Chris's eyes shot up and looked into hers as she looked back at him.  He felt his face go hot. "Uh."  He cleared his throat.  "Huh?"

"I asked how was everything was going with the group and all."  Nicole pushed the box she just finished to the side and looked back up at him.

"Oh."  Chris shifted his weight to the other foot.  "Fine.  Just enjoying the finally nice break we've been waiting for.  How's your job?"

"Fine."  Nicole told him.  She scooted along the floor until she was in front of another box, and started to place items in it.  "I have to go to a party store and get some Halloween decorations for the Halloween party we are going to have next week for Halloween."

"You should go to the one by my house.  I go to it every year for the Halloween party I always throw."

"Yeah but," Nicole leaned back on her hands and looked at him with a smirk, "Would I find stuff for young kids?  I can't be buying the boogeyman masks or anything bloody."

Chris crossed his arms across his chest and looked down at her.  "Do I look like a person that would recommend that kind of place for a Pre-K teacher?"

"Well..."  Nicole drawled out before letting out a laugh.  Chris jaw slacked and let out a huff.

"I'm so hurt Nicole.  Oh so hurt."

"Oh shut up."  Nicole laughed, reaching out and smacking her hand against his leg.  "Anyways, I have no clue where that is."

Chris raised a brow, his eyes never leaving hers.  "It's by my house."

"Yeah...and?  I don't know where much is around here.  I'm not a human map."

"You live about thirty minutes away; and didn't you say that you've lived here your whole life?"

"Florida, yes.  I know where places are around where I live.  Here, no."

"Hopeless."  Chris teased and leaned his hip against the hood of his car.  "When you leave, take a left and go down till you see Orange.  Turn right and at the light turn left and..."  Chris paused when he saw the impractical look on her face.  "Okay, you really are hopeless."  Chris chuckled and shook his head.  "Women."

"Hey!"  Nicole sat up and pointed her finger at him.  "I resent that!  Just because I don't know what the hell you're talking about doesn't mean I'm hopeless."  She reached out and smacked his lower leg again.  Chris laughed, lifting his leg up and taking a couple steps back.

"Okay abusive women; how about I just take your hopeless self there, say next week?"

Nicole pulled her legs up, sitting Indian style, and rubbed the palms of her hands against her shorts.  Tilting her head to the side, she looked at him, humming and tapping her chin with the tip of her finger as if she was thinking.  Her eyes fixed on him as he stood there in an olive green shirt and jean pants.  Chris tilted his head sideways, mocking her, both of them smiling.

"I guess."  Nicole said with a sigh and rolling her eyes.  "What else am I going to do?"

"I'll take that as a complement."  Chris winked, and pushed himself off his car.  He walked past her over to another box.  He pushed a box towards her with his foot and pointed to the pile on the other side.  "Can you put that stuff in that one?"

"You're lucky I'm so nice and a pushover."  Nicole replied, pushing her hair out of her face and going onto her knees.  "So where are you going to put all these boxes after your done?"  She asked while putting the items in the box ahead of her.  She glanced up towards him before looking back down into the box as she placed another object in there.

"Storage," he simple told her, "I didn't know what stuff I wanted to put in my house when I moved in here so, didn't know what to put in the storage."  Chris out stretched his arms at the clutter mess.  "Thus, it became to this."

"And you moved in...when?"

"Uh, three years ago."

Nicole paused from her movement and looked at him.  "Three years ago?  It took you three years to figure out what you wanted to put in your house?"

Chris looked over his shoulder at flashed an innocent smile.  "I never had the time."

"Men."  Nicole mumbled under her breath and sighed.  She softly shook her head and finished packing the box in front of her.  Pushing it to the side, she got up and moved over to the other pile and started to pack it also.  Soon the garage was cleaned, boxes packed and taped together.  The once hurricane hit mess was clean minus the packed boxes and two of his cars.

Nicole looked around the garage, her hands into her back pocket.  Chris stood next to her with a proud smile on his face.

"We make a good team."  He told her as he wrapped his arm around her shoulder.  Nicole nodded her head in agreement and gave his hand a pat.  Chris looked down at her with a smile.  "Come in and have something to drink after slaving you in my garage."

"At lest it isn't summer; now that would have been dreadful."  Nicole picked up her purse.

"I hear ya.  I wouldn't have even bothered if it wasn't fall."  Chris opened the door and placed his hand on her back as she walked past him into his house.  Nicole slowed down her steps while looking around in awe.  She took a seat at one of the bar stools by the counter on the outskirts of the kitchen and looked around.

"Water?  Lemonade?  Ice tea?  Beer?"  Chris asked her while opening up the fridge.  Slowly, he smirked as he watched her look around his house, taking in the scenery.  From the bit he knew about her, he could tell she was an observer.  She always looked around wherever she went and took in the scene around her.

"Lemonade please.  You're place is nice.  Plain, but what do you expect from a guy."  She told him.

Chris chuckled as he poured her a glass of lemonade.  "Thanks."  He sat her glass in front of her and poured himself a glass of lemonade also.  "So, tell me more about yourself."  Chris sat in the stood next to her and turned it so he was facing her.

"Like?"  She question as she took a sip of her drinking.  "We just talked about me in the garage.  What else do you want to know?"

"I know there has to be more than teaching Pre-K in your life."  Chris smiled and tilted his head slightly.  "Hobbies?  How about your family; you haven't mentioned them yet."

Nicole swallowed the small lump in her throat and took her eyes away from his.  Nicole looked down at the marble counter top in front of her and ran the tip of her finger along the top of her glass.  "Uh, yeah my family."  Nicole said softly.  Chris instantly wished he didn't bring up the subject.  Chris reached out and placed his hand on her arm, giving her a light squeeze.

"Hey, I'm sorry.  You don't have to say a thing."

Nicole took a deep breath and let the air out slowly.  "No, no it's okay.  I can talk about it.  If you asked me two year ago this question I would of collapsed and start crying on the spot."  She sat up straighter and kept her eyes on her hands as she started to twist the ring on her pink finger.  "My dad is a lawyer and works in the Downtown Orlando area.  We are close.  I'm the only child and uh...my mom passed away two years ago suddenly from pancreatitis."

"Nicole..."  Chris said softly, his voice and eyes filled with sympathy.  "I'm so sorry."  He ran his hand up and down her arm softly.  Nicole looked at him with a small smile and sat her hand on top of his on her arm.

"Thanks.  It's okay.  I have my days once in a while, but other than that I'm doing better over it than I was when it happened.  It made me grow up instantly.  She's in a better place now and that is all that matters...Actually," Nicole chuckled softly, "After she passed away I listen to one of your songs over and over again.  The song, Sailing."  She leaned on her elbows on the counter and buried her face in her hands as she laughed, embarrassed slightly.  Chris cracked a smile and chuckled.  Nicole rested her chin in the palm of her hand and turned her head slightly to look at him.  "Oh how embarrassing.  You probably think I'm something else now."

Chris laughed after finishing his drink and leaned over, setting his empty glass in the sink.  "No I don't.  It's actually nice to hear; like a complement.  Nice to know that even though I didn't know you than that I somehow helped."  He gave her an encouraging smile as he thought of ways to change the subject.  "Favorite bands or singers?"  He asked.

"Huh?"

Chris smirked at the confusing look on her face.  "What are your favorite bands or singers?"

"Ohhh...Uh...The Beatles, Dave Barnes, Michael Jackson, Britney Spears, Aerosmith..."  She looked at him out of the corner of her eye as she said the next words slowly, "Backstreet Boys..."

Chris's jaw slacked and slid down from his stool, staring at her with a hurt and disbelief look on his face.  Nicole laughed all while putting her hand on his arm and sliding off the stool.  "I'm kidding about the Backstreet Boys.  I know some of their songs but it's not to the point where I'll call myself a fan of them or anything."

Chris let out a dramatic sigh and motioned with his hand toward the couch.  "I was about to throw you out of my house and end our friendship."  He walked around the edge of the couch and dropped down next to the arm rest.  His brown eyes watched her as she walked past him, still chuckling, and sat down next to him on the couch.  Chris slid down his black leather couch and placed both of his hands behind his head and watched as she crossed her legs.  For the first time he noticed the small cross tattoo on her lower ankle.  His eyes slowly traveled up her tanned legs, from her coral color painted toes to where her shorts started at her thighs.  By the look of them, he could tell that she was active by how toned they looked.

"And yours?"

Chris eyes shot up from her legs to her face as her voice drew him out of his trance.  "Uh," He cleared his throat before he continued.  "Busta Rhymes, Brian McKnight, Michael Jackson, The Beatles."  Chris smiled when the next band came to his mind.  "No Doubt.  I am going to marry Gwen Stefani."

Nicole cocked an eyebrow as him with a smirk planted on her lips.  "Isn't she with Gavin Rossdale?"

Chris smiled wide and stretched his legs out in front of him.  "Joke all you want now, but just wait and see.  It will be me at the end of the isle, not him."  Turning his head, he looked up at the clock and groaned, rubbing his stomach.  "No wonder I'm hungry, its six o'clock."

"Really?"  Nicole looked up at the clock to make sure he was right.  "Damn...took us three hours to do your garage?"

Chris chuckled and looked at her as he pushed himself off the couch.  "Guess so.  I'm starving, want to go get something to eat?"

"Sure."  Nicole stood up and grabbed her purse off the counter.  Chris tossed his keys in the air and looked over his shoulder while walking to the door.

"We'll just go together.  I'll drive.  I'm craving for a sub, how about you?"  Chris opened the door and held it open for Nicole.

"Mmm subs..." Nicole moaned in happiness.  "I can eat one every day.  Love ‘em."

"I knew I became friends with you for a reason.  You eat real food, not just salads and all that crap.  Have you eaten at Delano's before?"  He asked her.  Chris stood next to her and opened the passenger side door and helped her in his car.

"Never heard of it."  Nicole told him once he got into the driver side and turned on the car.  Chris glanced at her briefly before looking out the back of his car while backing up.

"For a fellow sub and sandwich lover, that is where we are going.  They have the best subs, sandwiches and wraps ever.  They make your mouth water.  You are going to want to go there every day."

"Bring it on."  She chuckled and ran her hand through her hair.

"Okay, back to our game of twenty questions."  Chris flashed a smile before looking over his shoulder and merging into the lane next over.

Nicole raised a brow and turned to look at him.  "We were playing that game?  What are we, in middle school?"  She teased.

"Okay you caught me.  The age on my birth certificate is wrong.  I changed it just so I could be in *NSYNC.  It wouldn't work if I they knew I was really in middle school."  Chris winked at her and looked back on the road.

"You're shameless."  Nicole told him while laughing.

"Alright."  Chris drawled out while drumming his fingers along the steering wheel.  "Hmm...Oh!  If you weren't a teacher, what would you be?"

Nicole licked her lips than started to chew on her bottom.  "Wow."  She let out a breath and continued to think.  "I dunno...Ever since I was ten I knew this is what I wanted to do; teach little kids.  Hmm..."  Nicole clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth.  He turned and looked at her.  "Probably something with kids."

"You really like working with kids don't you?"

"Love it."  She confessed.  "It still amazes me how no matter how upset you are, that just by either a simple smile they give you or just run up to you out of the blue and hug your leg that it can easily change your attitude.  They are just so full of love and energy.  It's hard not to love my little ones. Sure, they can be a pain at times; be a handful; give you a splitting headache but in the end; it's worth it."  Nicole explained.  She turned her head and looked at him, both of them smiling.  "There is nothing else I rather do in the world than work with little kids.  Now, your turn."

Chris laughed, stretching his left arm over the steering wheel and leaning towards her, resting his right elbow on the console between the seats.  "Love it."  He said, mocking her.  "But in all seriousness, I do love it.  I love singing and dancing and I'm so blessed to be able to do something I love and get paid to do it.  How many people get to say that?  I have been really blessed with the best guys, who are like my brothers, and with the great success that we have gained.  There are days that I'm still in awe of everything.  Coming from a family that went from trailer to trailer, barely having money, to now bam; a totally different life."

"It's got its ups and downs, heaven and hell."  He continued.  "The fans are nice, well...not to sound mean or anything, I mean they are the reason I'm able to do what I love, but sometimes it just gets out of hand.  I love them, I truly do, don't get me wrong."  He looked over at her.  "But sometimes a man needs his space."

"I totally understand."  Nicole replied with a nod.

"Don't get me started on the damn paparazzi."  Chris shifted in his seat and pressed the gas once the light turned green.  "Okay, now I know you have two tattoos, do you have any more than that?"

"Uh ..How..?"  Nicole looked at him, her green eyes filled with a look of confusion.

"I saw the cross on your ankle at my house."  He looked at her briefly before turning his attention back on the road.  "And I think...a butterfly on your shoulder at the club?"

"Ohhh, yeah."  She lifted her hair up and pointed to behind her left ear.  "I have three starts behind my ear.  A pink, yellow and green," She slightly turned and showed the back of her neck.  "In cursive it says John 3:16 on the back of my neck," She dropped her hair and turned forward, "And a shamrock on my right hip.  A total of five tattoos, unless you want to count each star separate; than seven."  She shrugged her shoulders.  "I dunno why but I just like them.  I'd only get tiny ones though, no way would I ever get a big tattoo, but each one has a meaning with them so they mean something to me."

"And what's that?"

"The shamrock is because I'm 100 percent Irish and I'm proud of my heritage.  Both sides of my family, my moms and dads, are Irish.  My great, great Grandfather from my dad's side worked hard on getting over to America.  I can remember sitting in front of him while he told me stories, listen to Irish music and always gave me something with a shamrock on."

"Can you speak with the accent?"  Chris raised a brow, his brown eyes filled with interest.  Nicole rolled her eyes which brought a smirk on Chris's lips, giving him his answer.

"Mhm."

"Say something in it."

"What do you want me to say?"  She asked with a sigh.  Every time, her being Irish was brought up, there is always someone that asks if she could speak with the accent.  It never failed.  Nicole looked over at him, seeing a sparkle of amusement in his brown eyes.

"That there is a leprechaun at the end of the rainbow with a pot of gold."

Nicole grunted and sat back in her seat.  "I should have known."  Nicole took a deep breath before she continued.  "At the end of the rainbow there will be a leprechaun with a pot of gold."

Chris looked at her in amazement before breaking out in a grin.  "I'm going to make you talk to me in that accent for now on."  Pulling into the parking lot, he looked for a free space and parked his car.  "You sound like you just got off a boat from living in Ireland."

"I don't think so."  She told him in her regular voice.  "It rarely comes out.  If I get really pissed off, it slips."

"I'll keep that in mind."  He told her.  Getting out of his car, he closed his door and waiting for Nicole to walk over to where he was standing.  Locking his car, he slipped his keys in his pocket and walked beside her toward the front door.  "What about the other tattoos meaning?"

"Well, the three stars are for how lucky I've been.  You know, like the saying ‘count your lucky stars'.  I got into a horrible car accident five years ago.  A drunk driver didn't notice the light ahead of him turned red, so he ran through it and nailed my car.  I suffered two broken ribs, a concussion and broken vertebrae in my lower back.  They didn't think I'd be able to walk again because they were afraid it might pinch the wrong spot and," Nicole snapped her fingers, "I'd be paralyzed from the waist down."

"Damn."  Chris mumbled under his breath.

 "I'm okay now.  Every now and then my lower back will get stiff or start to hurt, but other than that, I'm okay.  The cross on my ankle is for the one thing I could always fall back on, God.  John 3:16 is my favorite verse.  Then the butterfly on my shoulder is for memory of my mom.  She loved butterflies and I had the wings be in different shades of purple because that was her favorite color.  The three small letters underneath, K.R.M, are her initials."

"What was her name?"  Chris asked softly.  Reaching out, he grabbed the glass door and pulled it open.  His eyes followed her when she walked past him inside the cafe as he held the door open for her.

"Kaitlyn Rose McGinnis."

"That is a pretty name."  Chris wrapped his arm around her shoulders.  Bumping his hip with hers, he led her towards the counter and pulled out a menu for her.  "So, Nicole McGinnis, eh?"

Nicole looked at him out of the counter of her eye before looking back at the menu in her hands. "Mhm.  Do you need to look?"  She asked gesturing toward the menu.

Chris shook his head and bumped his hip against hers again.  "Nope.  I already know what I'm getting.  So, Nicole what McGinnis?"

"Branna."  She told him casual.  "It Irish; meaning beauty with hair as dark as a raven.  My Great Grandpa gave me my middle name ‘cuz when I was born, I was born with a lot of dark hair, and as you see," She flipped up the edge of her hair with her fingers and dropped it, "I have black hair."

"Ahh.  Well it is a pretty middle name."

"Thanks...Hmm...Ham, cheese, spicy mustard, mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, red onions on sourdough bread...mm."  Kristen read softly out loud than shut the menu closed and looked at Chris.  "I have found the winner."

"That one is good."  Chris turned his attention to the guy behind the register.  "Hi, can I have one Ham Signature Sandwich and the Club."

"What would you like to drink with that?"  The guy behind the register asked.  Chris looked over at Nicole.

"Oh, a bottle of water for me."  She answered.

"Make that two."  Chris told him and reached for his wallet in his back pocket.  He reached over and stopped Nicole's movements of her reaching in her purse.  "I got it."

"You don't have to."

"You just helped me clean and organize my garage so don't give me that."  He winked at her and gave the guy a twenty.  "Keep the change."  Chris told him as he took the number card.

"Yeah but that was for..."

Chris waved his hand, interrupting her, walking towards an empty table.  "You're too nice for your own good."  He sat down in the seat and rolled his eyes when she let out a huff, sitting across from him.  Nicole rolled her eyes and looked around the café.

"This place is cute."

Chris looked around the place and leaned back in his seat.  "Oh yea, that's just what I always look at for when I go to eat."

Nicole quickly turned her head to look at him and gave him a look.  Chris tilted his head to the side and smiled innocently at her.

"Innocent my ass..." She mumbled under her breath and unscrewed the top off before bringing it to her lips and taking a sip.

"So, Nicole Branna McGinnis," Nicole heard Chris said.  Slowly, Nicole raised a brow and looked at him over the bottom of her water bottle as she took another sip.  She watched as he stared her down, taking a sip of his own water bottle and licking his lips after.  "Do I remember correctly, but your friend that I helped out of the club was Karla?"

"Kara."  Nicole corrected him.  She set her water bottle on the table and placing her elbow on the table, resting her chin in the palm of her hand.  "She seems to make really good first impressions."

Chris snickered.   "Tell me about her."

"You really take this twenty question game seriously don't ya?"  Nicole shook her head to get her side bangs out of her face.  "We've known each other since....God; it has been years; since we were little.  Somehow we always got the same classes together and the teaches hated us together.  She is my best friend, but a big pain in the ass.  She loves those stupid mushy romance books, which Taylor and I cannot figure out for the life of us on how she can enjoy them, but it keeps her shut up when she reads them so whatever keeps that trapper closed, we're okay with."

Chris let out a laugh and picked up his water bottle.  "A talker?"

Nicole looked at him, giving him a bored look before lifting her chin off her hand.  "You have no idea.  I introduced her and Taylor two years ago and now they are engaged.  I dunno how he does it....Hell I dunno how I've done it these past years.  But, besides using that yapper and getting herself in more trouble; having me sweet talk her way out of things, she's really is the best.  She's been there more times for me than I can count and I've been there for her.  She's..."  Nicole sighed, "She's saved my life so many times and vice versa.  When we heard the news about my mom, Kara never left my side and spent those three days in the hospital with me while sitting next to my mother.  She is the biggest pain in my ass, but I love her none the less."

"Sounds like Justin."  Chris said, joking, causing them both to giggle.  Sitting back in his seat, he looked up as the server placed their plates in front of them.  "Thanks."  They both said in illusion.

"Jinx!"  Chris said with a triumph look on his face.  Nicole gave him a smirk, picking up her sandwich and taking a bite.

"Mmmm...You were right."

Chris smiled.  "I told you it was good."

"Good?  This is better than good.  It's great!"  Nicole exclaimed taking another bite.  "You are going to wish you never showed me this place."

"I'm always right."  Chris told her in a matter-a-fact tone, and took a bit of his sandwich.

"Uh huh, okay," Nicole wiped her mouth with a napkin.  "What place do you want to visit, that you haven't been?"

Chris chewed the food that was in his mouth as he pondered the question.  "Hmm..."  He hummed moments later.  After swallowing his food, he gave her his answer.  "Antarctica."  Chris smiled when he saw the look on confusion and disbelief on her face.  "It's not like any other places.  Where do you want to visit?"  He questioned, his eyes holding hers steadily.

"Ireland."  She stated.

"You've never been?"

Nicole shook her head.  "All my family lives in the United States so we never went to visit."

"Such a same.  It is a beautiful place."  Chris shook his head and took the last bite of his sandwich.  He grabbed his napkin and wiped his hands.  Crumbling the napkin into a ball, he tossed it on the plate where his sandwich once was and sat back in his seat, patting his stomach.  "Ahhh; that hit the spot."

Nicole nodded her head in agreement.  Finishing her sandwich, he placed everything on her plate and looked at him.  "I'm in love."

Chris snickered.  "Ready?"  Seeing her nod her head, they both got up from the table and started their way out.

"Thank you for dinner."  Nicole told him as he opened the café door.

"No problem, thank you for helping out the mess in my garage."  He told her, placing his hand on the small of her back as she moved passed him.

"If I get that sandwich every time I help you, than anytime."  She joked while walking towards his car.

"Deal."  Chris hopped into his car and waited for her to get into his car.  After putting on her seatbelt, Chris placed his hand on the headrest of her seat and looked out the back of his car while reversing.

"Do you mind?"  Nicole questioned him all awhile pointing a finger to his radio.  Chris briefly glanced at her before putting the car into drive.

"Nope.  Go on ahead."

Nicole leaned forward, pushing the tip of her index finger against the seek button to find a good radio station.  "Ooo!"  Nicole exclaimed when the beginning notes of the song filled her ears.  Turning up the radio a bit, she bobbed her head while she sang.

"If you leave me you let a good thing fall apart.  If you deceive me, you leave a pain inside my heart.  I really need you just like the air I need to breathe.  I'll stand beside you I'll never leave."  She sang.  She turned and looked over at Chris, both exchanging smiles before he joined in with her.

"Please don't go, please don't go.  Don't you know that I love you so?  Say your mine and give me tonight.  Let's stay together."  They both sang, bobbing their heads.  "Please don't go, please don't go.  You're the only angel I know.  You were sent from heaven above to love me forever."  Chris and Nicole sang together.

"You know that song?"  Chris asked her once the song was over.

"How can you not?"  She told him.  Crossing one of her legs over the other, she glanced at him before sitting back in her seat.  "Oh how that song can instantly give you energy no matter the situation."

Chris smiled, nodding his head in agreement.  Looking over his left shoulder, he hit the blinker and switched lanes.  "You got a good voice.  Have you sung before?"

"Besides in the car; cooking in the kitchen, and with friends?  Nope."

"Well, you do."  Chris looked at her with a serious look on his face before looking back on the road in front of him.  He glanced at her once more.  Sure, she wasn't the next Britney Spears or Beyonce, but she knew how to carry a tune and wasn't off key.  Her voice was soothing.

"Thanks."  Nicole blushed slightly, a small smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.

"On the next CD, you and I," he motioned with his finger between them, "Are going to sing a duet together."

"Uh, what?"  Nicole stuttered.  She looked at him like he was crazy.  "And what song would this be?"

"You've got a friend in me!"  Chris sang.  Nicole rubbed her face with the palm of her hands and laughed.

"Why do I connect with the crazy ones?"  Nicole questioned out loud.

Chris flashed her one big, bright smile and linked his arm with hers.  "Because that would be boring, and hunny," Chris leaned over and gave her a big, wet kiss on her cheek once stopping at a red light.  "You're stuck with me."

 

End Notes:

 

Song Credit:  "Please Don't Go" by No Mercy.  Thats for you, Rae! haha

Chapter 4 by WhiteSoxLuvr9

Her room was made for kids.  There were bean bags and soft fluffy chairs in the reading corner with a mini bookshelf filed with pictures and Pre-K reading level books.  The multi colored plastic containers and bins on shelves and holders were up against the walls throughout the room.  Bins filled with blocks, legos, a wooden bed covered with dolls, containers on the white shelf holding different colors of crayons, glue, pieces of papers, stamps and ink pads.   There was a big toy bin that was filled with dresses, firemen hats and other articles of dressing up that was sitting next to a plastic kitchen set with an oven, stove and table with chairs.

Blue plastic chairs surrounded the three circle shape tables that were once covered in Mac N Cheese during lunch, was now completely spotless.   In one corner of the room, stood an easel that had a flow chart of a calendar and weather draped across it.  Beside it was a big blue plastic chair which had a huge rug in front of it with different colors, letters, and numbers scattered across on.  Around the walls near that area had posters attached to the wall by their height level of different colors and shapes all throughout the room in certain areas.

In the other corner of the room sat a large blue bin that was holding large amounts of sand and sand toys sitting inside, waiting to be played with.  On one wall was a large billboard that was decorated with plastic leaves, pumpkins, a scarecrow and the words "Halloween" in orange letters stapled across with a fall theme bored around the edges.  Next to it was a small child's chalk board, that earlier that day had its chalk and eraser taken away from the object as one of the children were using it to throw at someone for taking a toy that was once in their hands moments before.

 The bottom half of the walls were a soft, pale green color with sunflowers painted along the walls with a white boarder with pictures in them; pictures of all the kids that either she had taken, or that parents brought in.  Above the boarder that went around the room, in the middle of the wall, was painted to look like clouds in the sky.  If you asked Nicole what was her favorite part of her room, the way the walls were painted would have been her answer.  It was made look like they were outside on a beautiful spring day.

Then there was a desk.  Her desk; which had pictures of her friends and family on and around her desk on the wall with a calendar tacked onto the wall that already had words scribbled on it on certain days.  She had one art project of each child tacked around her desk which with one look it would bring a smile to her face.  A white and silver CD player sat on the white book shelf behind her that was playing soothing, soft music that could heard throughout the room.  The shelves also had many books and folders, one folder holding craft ideas, one holding her schedule, and her planning book.

Nicole let out a small sigh as she sat back in her chair, her eyes scanned her room that now had small little cots scattered throughout her room, each one holding a young child, asleep.  Naptime has struck and Nicole couldn't have been happier.  Yes, she loved her kids dearly, but today was one of those days when they were just rambunctious and acting up.  Nicole rubbed her temples with the tips of her fingers, trying to subside the small tension headache that was already starting to form.  Picking up her pen, she looked down at the list she was making.  Ideas for the Halloween party and stuff that she needed.

Cupcakes, cookies, Halloween theme games, Halloween plates-napkins-cups, candy, orange and black streamers; a ball of yawn for the spider web game, Nicole read off her list in her head.  Halloween CD.  Nicole moved her rollin chair back a bit and carefully opened one of her file cabinets and shifted the music folders, each one marked and separated by different themes till she found one marked "Halloween".  Opening up the file folder, she pulled out the two CD's and read the songs on the back of it.  Witches Brew, Pass The Witch's Broomstick, Halloween, She read off the back of it.  Hokey Spookey.  Nicole smirked once she read the song name, knowing on how big of a bit the song had been in the past coupled years.  The song was just like the hokey pokey, but instead of saying body parts, they were substituted with a Halloween theme.  Instead of saying right hand, they would say pumpkin instead, left hand - ghost, right foot - skeleton, left foot - costume etc.  At the end, instead of the words "your whole self", they say put your monster.

Nicole softly hummed the song to herself while finishing reading the rest of the songs name and putting it back where she pulled it out of.  "You put your pumpkin in you take your pumpkin out, you put your pumpkin in and you shake it all about.  You do the Hokey Spookey and you turn yourself around and that's what it's all about...Boo!"  Nicole sang to herself.  Realizing what she just did, she shook her head in disbelief and looked back down at the piece of paper in front of her, laughing quietly.

Tapping the top of the pen cap to her top lip, Nicole sucked on her bottom lip, chewing it slightly while ideas were floating in her head.  Snapping her fingers, Nicole brought her pen down to the paper and wrote down the items she would need for pin the nose on the pumpkin game.  Writing down more ideas that would submerge her mind, she would cast her eyes up to double check on the children before looking back down at her piece of paper.  After writing whatever came to her head, she folded up her list, pulled out the drawer in her desk and stuffed it in her purse.  Glancing at the clock, she pulled out a folder and sat it on her desk.  Opening up the folder; she silently prayed that the rest of the day would fly by while she started to do some work she had to get done before the kids woke up.

~~*~~

"So that's it?"  Joey asked over his shoulder while poking the burger meat on the grill on Monday after Chris told them about his day with Nicole.

"Yeah?"  Chris replied with puzzlement.  His eyes scanned around on Joey's back patio see all sets of eyes on him; Justin, Joey, JC and Lance.  Chris let out a loud sigh.

"That sounds more like a question."  Justin smirked before taking a huge bite of his burger.

"She is a nice person.  A good friend, unlike you assholes."  Chris replied with an eye roll.

"Let him be guys."  JC warned the rest of the guys.  "He found a good friend, a girl, that didn't freak out or doesn't care about his status.  How rare is that?"

"Fine."  Justin mumbled with his mouth full of food.  Lance gave him a look of disgust while taking a sip of his coke.

"Seriously Just, didn't your mom teach you better?  Better yet, I know she did."

Justin slowly turned his head toward Lance and gave him a tight smile before opening his mouth, filled with chewed up food before swallowing.  Lance shot him another hatred look before flicking him off.  Justin chuckled and grabbed his napkin to wipe his mouth.

"You guys would like her.  She's chill."  Chris told them while crossing his legs, resting his ankle on top of his other knee.  "She's....real.  She's nice, sweet, funny, she actually listen's unlike someone I know."  Chris glanced over at Justin.  Justin looked around at the table and saw that Chris was only looking at him.

"Hey!"  Justin exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air.  "It was only one time!  I was tired man!  I'm sorry."

"Three times."  JC reminded him with a nod and amusement look on his face.

"Is she pretty?"  Joey asked while wiggling his eyebrows.

"Don't even try it Joe."  Chris pointed his drink at his friend in warning before taking a sip.  "Yeah, she's pretty."

"When are we going to meet your new friend?"  Lance asked before chucking his balled up napkin at Justin.

"Well, I invited her to my annual Halloween party that I host, but I was thinking the day before or sometime that week of doing maybe what we are doing, having a BBQ, so she gets to know you retards before the party so she at least knows someone besides me.  I dunno if her friend Kara is coming with her to the party or not."

"She might bring a friend?"

"She's engaged Joey."  Chris shot him a warning.  "So her friend is off the market.  Don't bother trying."

"Why don't you call her over now?"  JC questioned.

"Yeah man!"  Justin added and reached out for Chris cell.

"She works at a daycare, remember?"  He reminded them and grabbed his cell out of Justin's reach.

"That's right.  She teaches little kids.  Well than she knows how to take care of Ju-Ju over there."  Lance teased, looking over at Justin.

"Shut up, Poofoo."  Justin narrowed his eyes at Lance.  "I'd sleep with one eye open if I were you."

"Teachers are so under paid."  JC said while shaking his head in disbelief.

Justin closed his mouth and looked over at JC with his eyebrows raised and said, "Well JC and Nicole would get along well.  They'll sit there and have an adult conversation while we have fun."

Justin let out a small yelp once he felt the blow of the back of JC's hand against the back of his head.  "Just because you're not smart Justin doesn't mean to hate."

"I'm not smart?!"  Justin sat up straight in his chair and looked at JC.  "What the hell do you mean I'm not---"

"Anyways," Chris said loudly, interrupting Justin.  "Just, don't ask her about her family.  She says she is okay and can talk about it but I dunno if she was putting up a front.  Once I asked about them, the sparkle in her eye vanished and she just looked really upset.  It took me a while to get a real smile on her face instead of a fake one."  Chris positioned his beer bottle on the table and sat back in his chair while the look on her face appeared in his head when she talked about her mom.  Letting out a sigh, he rubbed his forehead and closed his eyes.  "Her mom passed away suddenly two years ago."

"Oh my..." Joey muttered behind his hand as he was wiping his mouth.

"Really?"  Justin asked incredulity.

"No Justin, I'm making it up."  Chris rolled his eyes and gave his friend a serious look.

"Sorry, sorry."  Justin sat back in his chair and looked down at the table while he tried to grasp what he was told.  "I just...damn.  I can't picture my mom dying.  She's young to lose a mom."

"Did they know she was going to?"  JC asked.

Chris shook his head and pinched the bridge of his nose.  "No.  They didn't see it coming."

"Thanks for the heads up."  Lance said with a nod.  "That would have been awful if we made her shed tears on the first day we meet her."

"Which is why I told you guys ahead of time....Actually," Chris chuckled, "She is probably going to kill me for telling you this but she told me that she listened to one of our songs over and over after her mom died."

"Which one?"  Joey asked.

"Sailing."  Chris told them.  He studied his thumb before bringing it to his mouth and chewing on his nail.  Chris eyes darted up to his friends.  "You would all like her, trust me."

~~~

Nicole looked out of the corner of her eye on Thursday afternoon as she carefully watched him while he stood next to her pulling the grapes off the stems and tossing them into the container.

"Tell me why I'm doing this and not just having the grapes on the stems?"  Chris grumbled, plopping another one and tossing it in his mouth.

"Because it's easier to eat."  She told him like it was a well known fact and cautiously cut another piece from the melon and placing it in the container.  She glanced over at his pile and smirked.  "You're almost done anyways so stop complaining."

"Yeah yeah..."  He mumbled and dropped the rest of the grapes in the container.  "Still, stupid."

"You bellyache more than my kids."  She teased.  Cutting the last piece out of the melon, she placed the piece between her teeth and set the knife in the sink.  Turning around, she leaned her back into the counter and held onto the piece of the cantaloupe she was eating between her index finger and thumb.

"At least I don't I don't make other people eat chalk."  He teased back.  Picking up a piece of grape, he tossed it in the air and caught it in his mouth.

Nicole sighed, sliding onto one of the bar stools he had line against outer kitchen counter.  She carefully placed her elbow on the marble counter and positioned her chin in the palm of her hand all awhile finishing up the piece of fruit in her hand.  "I...I dunno where he got that idea.  I asked him and all the response I got from him was shrugged shoulders.  They are just special."

Nicole watched him when he tossed another grape in the air and caught it again in his mouth.  In triumph, Chris threw his hands up in the air in victory as he followed the same actions again, catching the next one also.  Nicole reached over with her other hand and plopped one in her mouth, chewing carefully.

"Are you nervous?"  Chris asked her all while tossing another grape in the air and catching it in his mouth. 

"About?"  Nicole's questioned.  Her eyes dropped to her floor when she heard paws scampering across the floor.  She watched as Chris's dog, Busta, jumped at his owners' feet as he also tried to join the game Chris was playing by himself.

"Meeting the guys."  He said before dropping a grape on the floor to the dog.  His brown eyes watched the pug lick the grape off the tile floor before glancing up at Nicole.

"No?  Should I be?"  She licked the fruit juices off her fingers that were left from the piece of cantaloupe.

"Nope."  Chris grabbed a handful of grapes and start tossing one by one in the air and moving his body towards where the grape was falling and letting it fall in his mouth.  "If you were; Joey would be able to tell and would throw you into the pool."

"Thanks for the heads up."  Nicole reached over the counter and picked up a couple of grapes and held one between her thumb and index finger.  "That's easy.  Get the ones I toss to you."

Chris rubbed his hands together and stood still while his eyes looked at her hand.  "You're on.  I'll prove you I can still catch them."

Nicole sat up on the bar stool and raised her right arm higher in the air.  Pulling her arm back slightly, she tossed the purple grape in the air.  Both of their eyes watched the grape carefully while it soured through the air.  Chris took a step to the right while his head bent back and closed his mouth quickly once the grape landed on his tongue.  Standing straight up, he pumped his hands up in the air and smile brightly.

"Gooaaalllllllllll!"  Chris drawled out stridently.  "Told you!"

"That is just one.  Let's see how many you can get."

"Alright."  Chris got in his stance and kept his eyes on her hand.  Nicole let out a small giggle as she watched him concentrate hard every time she tossed a grape in the air.  Placing a Tostitos chip in her mouth, she tried her best not to choke on it after watching Chris trip over his own feet.

"Slick."  She told him after carefully swallowing the chip that was in her mouth and successfully not choking on it.

"Slick."  Chris mocked her.  He narrowed his eyes at her and pointed to her hand that was holding another grape.  A small smirk soon appeared on his face when he saw the annoyance look in her face.  He knew how much she hated being mocked.  Nicole chucked the grape at him and watched it hit him in the eye.  Letting out a small gasp, she quickly slapped her hand over her mouth as Chris stood still in complete shock.  They both looked at each other, not believing that she just threw something at him.  Nicole bit on her bottom lip to try and hold back the smile and laughter that was fighting to come out.  After letting out a small snort, Nicole kept her hand over her mouth while she lost the battle and broke out into giggles.  Soon, Chris started laughing, causing both of them to lose themselves in laughter.  Nicole spread her arm across the counter and laid her forehead against her arm as she continued to laugh.

Chris rubbed his eye that was hit while planting his hands on the counter to hold him up as he laughed.  "You hit me in the eye!"  He choked out in between laughter.

"I'm sorry!"  She barely squeaked out, wheezing, making them laugh even harder.  After a couple minutes of laughing, they both calmed down and took a deep breath.  Nicole giggled and kept her head against her arm.  "I'm sorry.  You know I hate being mocked and..."

"What the hell are you two on?"

Nicole's head jerked up at the same time as Chris quickly spun on his body around towards where the heard the voice.  Justin stood there, his arms folded across his chest with his head cocked to the side, an amusement look on his face with JC standing beside him.

"She was throwing grapes in the air for me to catch, I tripped, she said something mean and I mocked her.  She threw a grape at me and it hit me in the eye!"  Chris exclaimed with his hands in the air.

"You aggravate me."  Nicole crossed her arms over her chest and gave Chris a look.  "You deserved it anyways."

Chris turned his head quickly towards where Nicole was sitting.  "I knew it was on purpose!"  He stuck his tongue out at her.

"I like her already."  Justin's blue eyes looked over at Nicole.  "You must be Nicole."  He assumed.  "Chris has told us about you."

Nicole nodded her head as she uncrossed her arms.  "Whatever he told you about me is false."  She held her hand out toward him to greet him.  Chuckling from her comment, Justin looked down at her hand and smirked.  He brushed her hand away and embraced her with a hug.  He chuckled again when he felt her stiff in his arms.  Slowly she wrapped her arms around him and hugged him back.  Justin pulled back and winked.

"Put that hand away.  We hug around here."  He told her before shoving a couple chips in his mouth.

JC shook his head while he smiled and made his way towards Nicole.  "Nice to meet you."

"You too."  She told him after they hugged.

"Where are the rest of the guys?"  Chris asked Justin and JC all while taking the hamburger meat out of his refrigerator.

JC shrugged his shoulders and took a seat next to Nicole on the bar stool.  He gave Nicole a slight nudge with his elbow while reaching for a piece of watermelon.  "Watch out for the blonde one.  He'll try to bring you under his Timberlake charm."

"Gotcha."

"My my my.  Chris what were you thinking hiding this beautiful lady from us?"

Nicole's eyebrows rose slightly and slowly turned to her right.  Next to her stood Joey.  She watched as his eyes travel up and down her body with a huge grin on his face.  JC leaned over slightly and mumbled into Nicole's ear.  "Watch out for him also."

Nicole chuckled and watched as Joey picked up her hand and brought it up to his lips, lingering a kiss on the back of her hand.

"Leave her alone Joey."  Lance smacked him across the back of his head.  "Don't scare her away."

"Have you guys ever heard of knocking of ringing the doorbell?"  Chris asked, pulling a beer out of the refrigerator and passing one to everyone.

"Nah."  Justin popped off his beer and took a sip.  "You wouldn't of heard it when Jace and I got here because you two laughing hyena's."

"What?"  Lance inquiry while taking the beer Chris was handing to him.  Chris reached for a bottle of water and handed it to Nicole.  Chris opened his mouth to answer Lance but closed it when Justin started to tell Joey and Lance over what happened.  Nicole kept her eye on Chris while she took a sip of her water while Chris made silent death threats to her while Justin continued the story.  Nicole smiled, winked, then turned around to slide off the stool and walked out to the back deck with the rest of the guys.

Nicole sat down in one of the chairs that surrounded the glass table on the deck and tucked one of her legs under her.  Justin plopped down in the chair next to her and stretched his long legs out in front of him.  Placing his beer on the table, he stretched his arms over his head and slid down in the chair before picking the bottle back up again.

"You don't want a beer?"

"It's disgusting."  Nicole scrunched her face in disgust before taking a sip of her water.  "I don't know how you can drink that crap."

"Easy."  Justin held his beer bottle in the air before taking a swig of it.  After wiping the back of his hand over his mouth he looked over at her and flashed a smile.

"Smartass."  Lance sat on the other side of the table and crossed his legs.

Nicole's eyes slowly scanned around the large backyard while the guys continued to bicker around the table.  She loved how calming and peaceful his backyard made her feel.  The Palm trees branches were swaying slightly from the slight breeze that was coming off the lake that his house was off of.  She pulled her other leg up and rested her chin on her knee while having her arm drape around her calf while she took in the scenery around her.  There was tiki bar on one side of the deck in the back corner and a tropical look pool.  Her eyes watched the water poured out of the rock waterfall that was at the right corner end of the pool with palm trees behind it.  Soon she was brought back to reality when she heard a body plop down on the other side of her.  Her eyes darted and watched Chris tilted his head to the side, cracking it before he got comfortable in the chair.  She raised a brow and took a sip of her water before joining back into the conversation.

For once in my life I won't let sorrow hurt me
Not like it hurt me before
For once, I have something I know wont desert me
I'm not alone anymore

He watched Nicole and the guys interact with each other out of the corner of his eye.  He felt his body relax with ease over how comfortable everyone seemed to be and welcomed Nicole with open arms.  He smiled at how everyone acted like they have known each other for years.  He couldn't put his finger on it on why it meant a lot to for the guys to like her.  Somehow the black hair, green eye teacher walked into his life and took over a special part in heart in just a short while.  Chris watched as she tucked her hair behind her ear while laughing over something Justin said.  He sat back in his chair while his mind pondered over thousands of thoughts that were floating through his brain.  Even though his heart was reminding him over his heartbreak, his brain was telling him that Nicole was unlike everyone else.  She wasn't going to desert him.

End Notes:

 

Song Credit: "For Once In My Life"; By Stevie Wonder.

Chapter 5 by WhiteSoxLuvr9

Nicole sat in the middle of her floor, Indian style, couple weeks later with packets and color pages scattered around her.  She was planning and working on ideas for what to do with her class for the next month.  New pictures in frames were set on tables and on her wall of her, Chris, and also with her and the guys.  It still amazed her on how they all along so fast and so well.  From the first time meeting each other at Chris's house for the BBQ, the Halloween party, and the couple movie nights and dinner/lunch outings with them for the past couple weeks.  Grabbing her hair tie, she pulled her hair up into a messy bun as her cell phone sat next to her, her best friend on speaker phone, chatting away.

After two more hours of chatting with Kara, they hung up.  Nicole raised her arms over her head and stretched.   She winced when she heard her back pop.  Glancing at the clock she decided it was time to go to bed.  Assembling her papers, she picked them up and sat them on the table and made her way to her room.  Setting her cell on her nightstand, she dropped her body on her bed and slid under the covers to drift off to sleep.

~~~

What am I supposed to do
With all these blues
Haunting me, everywhere, no matter what I do
Watching the candle flicker out in the evening glow
I can't let go
When will this night be over

Chris blinked as the beverage burned his throat making his eyes water slightly at the bitter taste. Shaking his head, he sat the glass down, letting the glass clink against the counter top.  Picking up the Whiskey bottle, he poured himself another shot.  He brought the glass to his lips before tipping his head back feeling the same burn in his throat as the alcohol glided down roughly.  He shook his head again, forcing it to hit his stomach and he hit the glass to the table.  He gripped his glass tightly as images of his ex, Karen, prancing around him with the guy she had been cheating on him with.  Out of everyone to run into at the club, it had to be her.  Pouring himself another glass, he tipped his head back and let the alcohol burn down his throat once more.

He had been doing so well.  It had been couple months since the nasty broke up.  His family and friends had been there greatly for him.  He didn't know what he would do without them.  Sure, the topic of Karen had been brought up but it never gave him a huge distraught until he saw her with...him tonight.  Karen acted like she didn't even see him, when he knew she sure as hell did.  She had herself all over the guy every time she was in Chris's bird's eye view.  Karen acted like didn't care that she tore his heart up, shattered his world into pieces.  Moving his index finger along the smooth rim of the shot glass, he shook his head when he felt the tears burn his eyes.  Pushing the shot glass away, he walked out of the room and towards the family room, stumbling slightly.

He hastily stopped when his eyes saw the picture that sat on the table next to his couch by the lamp.  His brown eyes studied the picture of him and Nicole from the Halloween party he threw.  They both stood there with their arms around each other as they hugged, smiling, with Nicole's head resting against his chest.  She was dressed up as a black cat; long sleeve black shirt, black leggings, black leather boots with her nose colored black and whiskers on her cheeks.  She even had black cat ears on her head and a black tail.  Chris was Mario, decked out in a red shirt and blue overalls while Justin was dressed up as Luigi.  He remembered the jokes that he threw about instead of having Yoshi as his sidekick; it was now a black cat.

"Nicole." Chris muttered.  He dug in his pocket and pulled out his cell before sitting down on the couch.  He ran his hand over his face with the palm of his hands, running his fingers through his hair before he brought the cellular device to his ear.  He listened to the sound of ringing that flooded his ears.  Nicole can always put a smile on my face.  He thought.

~*~

Nicole flung her arm over, swatting her hand against her nightstand while her phone rang, pulling her out of her sleep.  Groaning, she grabbed the device hastily and flipped it over, not even bothering to look at the caller ID.

"Hello?"  She spoke, her voice heavy with sleep while she rubbed her eyes.

"Hi."

Nicole crinkled her brows in confusion at the sound of the soft voice that she heard.  She pulled back her cell and saw Chris name on the screen.  What the hell...

"Chris?"  She questioned.  She looked over at her clock and rubbed her eyes when she saw the bright red lights telling her it was three in the morning.

"Yeah..."

Nicole yawned and ran her hand over her face.  "Why are you calling me at three in the morning?"

"I..I-I need you."

Nicole's eyes opened when she heard the pain in his voice.  Using her other hand, she pushed herself up on her bed and leaned her back against the head bored.  "What is wrong?  What happen?"  She asked concerned.  "I thought you were going out with the guys tonight?"

"I did...I saw Karen tonight."

Nicole felt her heart twist from the pain in his voice.  Couple times they had talked about Karen, but he never sounded as hurt as he did right now.  Nicole pulled her legs up to her and rested her arms on her legs.  "What happened?  Did she try to pull some shit?"

"She acted like she didn't see me, yet I know she did.  Every time she was in my view she would be all over him."  Chris confessed.  Nicole nodded her head as she picked at her blanket while he took a deep breath before he continued.  "I thought I was okay, Nicole.  I thought I was over her.  I had a couple drinks but I couldn't stand to see the show she was putting on anymore so I told the guys I wasn't feeling good and came home.  Had a couple shots and thought to call you."

"How much did you have to drink?"

Chris hesitated before he answered her.  "Not a lot."

Nicole sighed while continued to pick at her blanket.  "I can tell you are not one hundred percent sober by your voice."

"Tipsy stage."  He mumbled softly in the phone.

Nicole pulled the blanket off and climbed out of her bed.  "I'm coming over."  She told him.  Slipping on a pair of flip flops, she pulled one of her sweatshirts over her head and reached for her purse.

"It's late.  You don't have to.  Go back to bed.  I'm sorry I called I just---"

"Don't worry about it."  She interrupted him.  "That is what friends are for hun.  I don't have anything tomorrow so it's fine.  Go get a bottle of water and sit on the couch, watch TV or something just...Don't do anything stupid okay?"

"But..."

"No buts."  She shook her head and closed her apartment door behind her.  "I'll be here as soon as I can, alright?"

"Okay..."  He said softly.  Hearing the sound of melancholy his voice made Nicole take quicker steps toward her car.  "Thanks Nicole."

"Don't thank me."  She tossed her purse in the passenger seat and got into her car.  "That is what friends are for.  Just, don't do anything stupid, okay?  No more drinking unless its water or juice."

"Okay."

"Good."  Nicole started her car.  "I'll be there soon Chris."

"Drive safe."

"I will.  You be safe."  She warned him.  "Bye."

"Bye."

And even though my feet are trembling
Every word I say comes stumbling
I will bare it all
Watch me unfold
Unfold, unfold

Nicole got out of her jeep after pulling up in front of Chris's house twenty-five minutes later.  She grabbed a plastic bag and walked to the front door.  The floor light blinded, and startled her when she walked past it. 

"Stupid light."  Nicole mumbled to herself as she rubbed her aching eyes.

She ran the doorbell and ran her tongue over her lips.  Nicole ran her free hand over her arm when the cool breeze seeped in from her sweatshirt.  She looked up when she heard the sound of locks on the other side of the door.  She walked in and wrapped her arms around him before he closed the door behind her.  Chris sighed when he felt her in his arms and closed his eyes.  He held her tightly to him, taking a deep breath and taking in how she smelled.  He loved how she always smelled of a faint aroma of vanilla and a hint of spice from her perfume.  He looked back at her when she pulled back.

Nicole smiled softly all while holding up the plastic bag in her hand, waving it in the air.  Chris gave her a uncertain look and looked in the bag.  A smile appeared on his face when he found a gallon of Rocky Road ice cream from Haagen Dazs in the bag.

"Go to the family room."  Nicole ordered him.  He looked up and watched her walk into the kitchen.  "I'll get us some spoons."

Nodding his head even though she couldn't see him, he walked towards his couch, scuffing his feet against carpet floor the whole way.  Chris turned his head to look toward the kitchen while sounds of cabinets opening and closing could be heard.  Soon Nicole appeared from the kitchen and took a spot next to him on the couch.

"Okay, I don't think guys do the same thing every time they are upset but," Nicole shrugged her shoulders and handed him his spoon, "I thought it couldn't make it worse.  Who doesn't like ice cream, anyways?"

Chris smiled.  He watched her pull the top of the container off and setting it down on the table in front of them.  Nicole rolled up the sleeves on her sweatshirt before digging her spoon in the ice cream and putting it in her mouth.  Copying her same actions, he slid down in his couch with the ice cream in his mouth.  He watched as his friend turned around on the couch, sitting Indian style, looking at him with a spoon sticking out of her mouth.

"How did you bring this from your place to here without it melting?"  Chris asked as he got another spoonful of ice cream.

"I didn't."  Nicole reached over and scooped ice cream onto her spoon.  "I got it from the gas station right by your house.  Only place I knew I would be able to get ice cream at three in the morning."

"I'm sorry."  Chris apologized; feeling horrible about waking her up at three in the morning and her traveling.

Nicole waved her hand at him as if it was nothing.  "That is what friends are for."  She looked up at his eyes.  "When we say we will be there for you no matter what, we mean it."

After swallowing the ice cream that was in his mouth he leaned over and gave her a kiss on her forehead.  Nicole shivered slightly when his lips, which were cold from the ice cream, touched her skin.  Chris pulled back and looked at her.  "Are you cold?"

"N-No."  Nicole slightly stuttered.  She brushed her side bangs behind her ear while she tried to ignore the feeling of butterflies in her stomach.  "I'm fine.  Are you okay?"

Chris let out a deep sigh and sat back against the couch.  After setting his spoon in the ice cream container, he rubbed his face with his hands and let out a breath.  "I thought I was.  I just, I dunno.  The way she was acting like everything we had was just nothing like..."  He dropped his hands on his lap as he tried to think of a perfect word to illustrate what he was talking about.  Nicole reached over and set her hand on his thigh.

"I know what you are trying to say."  She gave him a slight squeeze with her hand before patting his thigh.  "Heartbreak isn't something you get over in days, weeks, heck sometimes months or years.  Don't think of this as a step back, but as a step forward."  Puzzled, Chris turned his head and looked at her.  Nicole held up her hand before he could say something.  "It's a step forward because it's helping you.  Sure, you got upset, sad, came home and had some drinks to numb the pain but you could have taken a different way.  You could have walked up to her and go crazy or scoop down unto her level and find some random chick and hook up in front of Karen."  Nicole sat back and continued to hold his gaze.  "I bet you couple months ago if this happened, you would have done one of those actions."

Chris nodded his head slowly while let the words Nicole was saying sink into his head.  She was right; he could have tried to find a girl in the club and play the games Karen was playing but he didn't.  He took the highroad instead of scooping down to her level.

"Sometimes I wonder why.  Why did she cheat?"  Chris coughed and cleared his throat when his voice cracked.  "Why didn't she just break it off?"  He closed his eyes and cursed himself for letting his emotions get the best of him.

Nicole shrugged her shoulders and swallowed the ice cream she had in her mouth before she answered.  She rubbed his arm as a remembrance that she was there for him.  "Who knows?  She might not even know.  Love can make you do crazy shit."  Nicole held up her hand when she saw him open his mouth.  "I'm not saying she did what she did because she loved you.  When people cheat, more than half the time their brain isn't one hundred percent clear."  Nicole shook her head in disgust.  "People say they were bored, needy, or sick of that person they were dating, but deep down, after all the excuses they pull, I'd bet you more than half of them would confess to saying that they don't know why.  It's easier to make up excuses to try and cover up your dirty tracks then to tell the truth."

Nicole looked over at him.  "I'm not sticking up for her and making up excuses.  I'm just saying my option.  If she didn't love you anymore, why didn't she just break it off before cheating on you?  Who knows.  Nevertheless, who knows if she isn't still in love with you?  I'm not her to state those kinds of facts.  I can't speak for her, but I can say that when you truly love someone; the last thing you want to do it hurt that person.  Yeah, when you are fighting and yelling at each other you try to think of that one line or word that could make them crumble in seconds but that's different.  Cheating and saying one hurtful thing is not in the same category."

Nicole leaned over the ice cream container and kissed his cheek.  "I can say in deliberation that she was stupid on letting you go.  The next girl is going to be lucky to grab hold of you."  Nicole sat back on the couch before a smirk tugged against her lips.  "Or stupid."

Chris rolled his eyes and chuckled.  "You were being all sweet and had to slip in something like that, didn't ya?"

Nicole flashed him an innocent smile.  Chris gave her a look before looking down into the ice cream container while spooning up some more.  "Damn, we have already gone though half of the gallon container."

Nicole leaned over, tilting her head to the side as she examined inside the container.  "Ice cream can do that to you.  One minute you open it, and next thing you know, it's gone."  Nicole patted her stomach before taking another bite.  "Ice cream can fix almost anything.  If not, sure as hell tastes good!"

 "Anyways," Nicole said, bringing his attention back to her with a smirk on her lips.  "If it helps or anything, I think she is a whore."

Chris laughed.  Nicole giggled along with him and dropped her spoon in the ice cream container next to his spoon.  "But on the serious note.  If she is throwing herself out like that in front of you than I think she is insecure with herself.  She is just flaunting around like that it will get a rile out of you and make her feel better about herself."

Chris sat back in his couch while lost in thought over what Nicole just said.  He felt the wheels turn in his head while the words she had said repeated over in his brain.  If she is throwing herself out like that in front of you than I think she is insecure with herself.  Was Karen trying to rile him up?  Make him jealous?  He sat down farther in his couch while he thought over the situation.  He watched as Nicole had another piece of the ice cream. 

Nicole looked down as the Pug jumped up onto the couch and made himself comfortable in her lap.  Placing her spoon back down, she brought her hands to the Pugs' ears and scratched them gently, smiling when Busta closed his eyes and tilted his head back; the sign that he was enjoying it.

"Sometimes I think that dog likes you more than me."

Nicole giggled while she continued to rub the dogs' ears.  "What can I say, I'm irresistible."

"Whatever makes you sleep at night."  Chris joked.  He gave her a wink before bringing a spoonful of ice cream to his lips. 

Nicole made a noise of interest before looking back down at the Pug.  Chris watched her delicately.  She was still adorable; sitting there in a sweatshirt and sweatpants with her hair up in a messy bun.  Even though she didn't wear a lot of makeup, she still had a radiant glow even without makeup on her face.  Her green eyes still sparkled although he could tell she was tired.  His brown eyes watched her while she fixed her hair, spoon hanging out of her mouth with the Pug in her lap.  She didn't care how she looked like in front of him.  Most girls would of put on tons of makeup, change into some kind of outfit before coming over to his place if he called them for the same reason.  Chris tilted his head a little.  Would any other girl come at three in the morning to be with his miserable ass?

She would be silly along with him and he loved that.  Countless times they sang in the car together, busting out ridiculous dance moves that would bring Wade, his choreographer, to a heart attack.  His eyes carefully watched her as he continued to eat the ice cream along with her.  He licked his lips; the faint taste of almonds from the ice cream hit his tongue.  As she licked her spoon he swallowed the lump in his throat.  Realization hit him like a ton of bricks.  It was the last thing he thought would happen.  He was falling for his friend.

 

~~~

 

Chris woke up the next morning on his couch.  He stretched his legs and arms out, feeling the sensation once he heard his back pop.  Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, he stopped his movement when he saw the familiar tan sandals next to his couch.  Nicole?  Chris asked himself.  Rubbing the back of his neck, he slowly sat up from the couch while he thought about last night.  I saw Karen, got upset, came home, had some shots, called Nicole, she came over, ate ice cream, talked....  He rubbed his left arm and noticed for the first time how it was still faintly warm.  We must have fallen asleep on the couch on each other.  Chris started to chew on his nail until a faint noise from the kitchen disturbed him from his thoughts.  The sounds of cabinets opening and closing with a soft sound of someone singing rang threw his ears.

Slowly he pushed himself off the couch and walked toward the kitchen, dragging his feet underneath him.  Suddenly he stopped in his tracks when he saw the sight in front of him.  There stood Nicole, in the same sweatpants and sweatshirt she appeared in last night, standing in front of the oven with a pan in her hand.

"Sometimes I run, sometimes I hide.  Sometimes I'm scared of you, but all I really want is to hold you tight."  She swayed softly while singing softly to herself.  She poked the sizzling bacon with the fork and shifted it around in the pan to make sure it cooked even.  Leaning over, she flipped the pancake over in the other pan.

Leaning his hip against the frame, he rolled his eyes.  He wasn't surprised she was singing a Britney Spears song.  He knew how much of a fan she was of her.  Hmm...Maybe I should have her meet her.  He thought.

"Good morning."  Before he could start planning, Chris looked up and found her green eyes looking at him with a smile on her lips.  "Did you sleep alright?  I hope you're not in any pain from not being able to move around with me falling asleep on you."

Chris nodded his head and made his way toward the table.  "Morning.  I slept fine, you didn't wound me."

"Sure?"  She looked over her shoulder at him while flipping the finished baking pancake on the other pile of finished pancakes.  "Coffee or Orange Juice?"

He nodded his head.  "Coffee.  Did you sleep okay?"

Nicole nodded her head and placed the mug of coffee in front of him.  Nicole made her way back toward the oven and brought the plates of pancakes and bacon to the kitchen table.  "You woke up just in time."

"How long have you been up?"  Chris asked while filling his plate up with pancakes and bacon.  He felt his stomach leap with joy once the sensation smell of the cooked food hit his nose.

"Mmm."  Nicole hummed.  "And hour?"  She walked past him and rubbed the top of his head.  "How's your head?"

"Why didn't you wake me?"  He looked towards her way as she poured herself a cup of coffee.  "And my head is fine."

"Just making sure you didn't have a hangover or anything after all you drank.  I sure as hell would if I had as much as you."  Nicole sat down in the chair across from him and sat her mug by her plate.  "You needed the sleep.  I know my way around your place so I was fine."

"That is because you're a lightweight."  Chris teased over the hangover comment.  Nicole waved him off with her hand and poured syrup over her already buttered and cut up pancakes.  Nicole looked up when she felt him starting at her.  Chris looked at her with a bewildered look on his face while she sprinkled white powder over her pancakes.  "What?"

"What is that?"

"Powder sugar."  She said as if well known fact.

"I didn't even know I had that in my house."

"You didn't."  She picked up a piece of her butter, syrup, powder sugar cover pancake and smiled when her tongue tasted the marvelous flavor.  "I went to the store after I found out you didn't have any."

"You...you went to the store?"  Chris asked in disbelief.

"Yeah."  She rubbed her piece of pancake on her fork around in the syrup pile that formed on her plate.  "I don't know how you can have pancake batter but not any powder sugar.  It should be illegal; a crime.  I can't eat them without powder sugar."  She leaned over the table and speckled some over his pancakes.  "Oh, Justin called you this morning."

"Really?"  He looked up from his pancakes with a shocked look on his face.  "What was he doing up so early?  How did the house phone not wake me up?"  He looked over to his cordless phone.  "Did he leave a message?"

"He didn't call the house phone."  She answered and took another bite of her pancake.  "Your cell was right next to mine and both were on vibrate.  I wasn't paying attention and I thought it was my cell vibrating and I answered it.  Say to lest, he was shocked to hear me answer and not you.  He was seeing if you were okay because of late night.  He snickered and proclaimed you have something to tell him under his breath before I hung up."  She shrugged her shoulders.  "Don't know why.  You never know what is going on in that little brain of his."  Nicole brought up one of her legs and leaned her leg against the side of the table.  "Which, are you okay?"

"Better."  He brought up the fork full of pancake and took a bite.  He nodded his head in approval toward Nicole when he saw her watching him.  "Thanks again.  You really didn't have to drive all the way out here and bring ice cream than make me breakfast."

"Anytime."  She smiled sweetly at him before taking a sip of her coffee.  She looked down toward the floor when she felt something rub against her leg.  "Hey sleeping buddy."

Chris eyes dropped to the floor towards his pug before looking back up at Nicole with a brow raised.  "Sleeping buddy?"

"Yeah."  Nicole rubbed her toe against Busta's stomach.  "He was my cuddling buddy last night."

"Trader."  Chris pointed his fork toward his dog.  "Leaving me for her."

"What can I say, I'm irresistible."  She giggled, repeating the answer she gave him last night when they talked about it.

Chris rolled his eyes, softly chuckling, all while eating more of his pancakes and pieces of bacon.  After finishing, he placed his fork on this plate and sat back in his chair. "Ahhh, that was good."  He rubbed his stomach with his hand.  "You're right about the powder sugar."

"I told you!"  Nicole exclaimed.  "I know what I'm talking about half the time."

"Half the time."  Chris mocked with a teasing glint in his eyes.  He sat up and picked up his plate with hers and walked toward the sink.

"Whatever."  Nicole muttered and started to clean up the table.  "I was right, and that is all that matters."  She stood next to him and set the empty mugs next to him.  She crossed her arms over her chest and gave him a look.  "Anyways, I'm always right."

"Right."  Chris said sarcastically and rinsed the plate before setting it in the dishwasher.  "When you are behind the wheel you are not."

"I am not bad behind the wheel!"  She protested and smacked his arm.  Chris glanced at her while he rinsed another plate and placed it in dishwasher also.

"Hunny, when you get behind that wheel, your brain shuts down."

"Does not."  She protested again.

"Like the time you were meeting up with us at Justin?"  Chris raised a brow and looked at her with an amused look on face.  Nicole scuffed and shoved his arm.

"That was my first time going to Justin's."  She rolled her eyes and let out a small huff.  "You give horrible directions!"

***

"Where are you?"  Chris asked over the phone as he relaxed in a chair on Justin's deck.  She was supposed to meet up with him and the guys over thirty minutes ago.  She was rarely ever late, and if she knew ahead of time she would have called.  He was surprised when thirty minutes past and she didn't show or called.  Getting worried he called her cell to see if something was wrong.

"I dunno."  Nicole.  Chris smirked when he heard her huffing into the phone.  "That is a damn good question.  I think I'm lost."

"You're lost?"  Chris chuckled.  Soon the rest of the guys laughed along with him.  "Where are you?"

"I told you, I dunno!"

Chris got up from his chair and motioned with his hand to the other guys that he was going to the other side of the deck so he could hear her better.  "What street are you on?"

"I dunno."

Chris rolled his eyes.  "Look at the next street sign you pass and read the one you are on."

"I haven't seen a street sign in a long time."

Chris brows knit in confusion and he rubbed the bridge of his nose.  "Uh huh...What do you see?"  He asked, hoping he would know where she was at and help her.

"Umm...Trees."

Chris paused in his movement.  He smacked his forehead with the palm of his hand and groaned.  "Trees?!"

"Shut up Kirkpatrick, that is all I see!  Trees, trees, and more trees!  You asked and I told you!"

"You know if you followed my directions correctly you would be here right now."  Chris said slightly annoyed, yet amused.  He could picture the frustrated look on her face and smacking her hand against the steering wheel on the other side of the line.  The image of that brought a smile on his face and he held back the chuckle that tried to escape.

"You know," She mocked him from before.  "You give horrible directions!"

**

Nicole eyed him in question when he started laughing.  "What are you laughing at?"  She pulled her hair tie out of her hair and shook her hair down.

Chris chuckled and set that last piece of silverware in the dishwasher.  "I was thinking of the time you got lost going to Justin's."

Nicole rolled her eyes and sat down on the bar stool.  "Maybe if they were clear directions-"

"You turned left instead of right!"  Chris tossed the towel on the counter in front of him with a laugh.

"Whatever."  Nicole rolled her eyes and rested her chin on her palm.  She narrowed her eyes at him when he continued to chuckle.  Chris looked at her and gave her a childlike smile.  His brown eyes locked into her green ones.  He couldn't help but notice how cute she looked right at the moment.  Her black hair down, framing her face; her side bang brushed against the corner of her left eye.  Her green eyes sparkled like it had specks of gold in them.  For the first time he realized that every time she looked at him, her eyes took his breath away.  I need a serious talk with Jace.  He told himself.

Clearing his throat; he shook his head to knock him out of his trance and hopped up on the counter behind him.  "So uh," he rubbed the back of his neck while his eyes looked onto the floor underneath him, "What do you have planned for the day?"

Nicole shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly.  "Don't have anything planned.  Was going to be a bum today since I rarely have them."

"Nothing with Kara?"  Chris asked in surprise.  They more often than not did something every weekend.

"In Tampa visiting Taylor's parents."  Nicole responded.  She picked at her rosy-pink nail polish on her nails and looked back at up at him.  "What are your plans?"

"Notta.  We can be bums together?"

"Sounds fine to me."  Nicole pulled her sweatshirt off and reveled the red t-shirt she had underneath it.  "You can try to teach me again to play your guitar."

Chris laughed and pushed himself off the counter.  "I remember the first time I was trying to teach you."  Chris said towards her with a teasing glint in his eye.  "At the rate that was going, it will take years for you to learn.  I don't think I have all that time and energy for that.  I do have a life missy."

Nicole threw her sweatshirt at him and stuck her tongue out at him.  "Maybe it's because you're a bad teacher."

Chris wrapped his arms around her shoulders while they made their way toward the studio where his guitars were held.  "Come on young grasshopper.  I shall try to teach you my amazing ways."

Nicole pinched his side.  "Just teach me, stupid."

"I'll try."  Chris joked and looked at her.  Kissing her temple, he opened the studio door open and walked in.  "Just try and learn it before I die.  That would be great."

End Notes:

 

Song Credits :

First Song: Ghost of You and Me by BBMak

Second Song: Unfold by Marié Digby

Chapter 6 by WhiteSoxLuvr9
"Kara, I think we have a problem."  Nicole told her best friend over the phone after walking into her apartment a week later.  After going to church and having lunch with her father like she did every Sunday, she had to run to the mall to find a birthday gift for one of her cousins, go grocery shopping, back to her apartment to put them away, and then run a couple more errands for her class.  Falling on top of her couch, she rubbed her face with her other free hand and let out a small groan.  Her mind was confused and mixed with feelings ever since going over to Chris's house in the middle of the night last week.

"We?  About what?"  Kara asked.

Nicole took a deep breath and let it out gradually.  She closed her eyes before confessing to her friend.  "I think I'm falling for him."

"Who?"

"Chris."  Nicole responded.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and bit on it.  She opened her eyes when she didn't hear her friend respond on the other end.  "Kara?"

"Kirkpatrick?"

"Yeah."  Nicole drawled out.  Baffled on why her friend asked her that question.  "Who else would it be?"

"I knew it!"  Kara exclaimed.  Nicole rolled her eyes with her friends' glee.  "I fucking knew it!  I told you, Nicole.  I damn as hell told you that this would happen."

"Shut up."  Nicole hissed into the phone.  She pinched the bridge of her nose with her index finger and thumb.  "Shut up."

"I told you!  I told you!  I told you!"  Kara chanted over the phone.  Nicole wished her friend was in the same room so she could smack her.  "When did you realize this?"

Nicole shrugged her shoulders even though Kara couldn't see her.  When did I?  Nicole asked herself.  Sure she been thinking how good looking he was lately, maybe she flirted with him once in a while but it was always harmless.  Or, what is?

"Nicole?"

Nicole shook her head when her friend voice pulled her out of thoughs.  "Huh?"

"I asked when you did you finally realized that you liked him more than a friend?"

"I-I..."  Nicole liked her lips.  "I dunno; maybe couple weeks ago?  A week ago?" Nicole groaned and rubbed her forehead.  "I've been thinking that I wasn't and just ignoring the feelings but I couldn't when I was over at his house last week."

"The three AM booty call?"  Kara teased.

"It was not a booty call!"  Nicole exclaimed, annoyed.

"I know I know.  I'm just pulling your leg.  What happen that made you realized that your best friend was right, and that you didn't tell me?"  Kara asked.  "Which might I add; I'm going to have to kill you for not telling me.  What the hell?!"

Nicole ignored her friends' threats and explained how after getting a kiss on the forehead, cheek or brushed his skin against hers that night; she would get butterflies and flustered.  Soon the butterflies appeared back in her stomach as she recalled that night.

"Mhm..."  Kara mused after Nicole finished telling the story.  "So, what now?"

"What?"  Nicole rolled onto her stomach and buried her face into the pillow on her couch.  How do I get myself into these kinds of messes?

"What are you going to do about this?  You're going to tell him, right?"

"Are you serious?!  And take a chance on ruining our friendship?  I think not!"  Nicole responded, her voice muffled by the pillow.

"What?  I didn't understand you."

Sighing, Nicole rolled onto her back and pushed the pillow under her head.  "Sorry.  I said are you serious?  And take a chance of ruining our friendship?  I don't think so.  It's not worth it."

"Life is full of taking risks, Nicole."  Nicole rolled her eyes over her friend's choice of words.  "And don't roll your eyes at me.  Not every guy is going to be like Tom."

"Sometimes I hate that you know me way to well." Nicole grumbled into the phone.  She made a face when she heard Kara sigh over the phone.

"Suck it up.  Hold on."  Nicole closed her eyes.  She heard Kara mumbling and moving around on the other end.  Looking at the clock, she winced after reading that it was after nine at night.  As if on cue, her stomach growled.  Sighing, she pulled her body off the couch and dragged herself to the kitchen.  Pulling out bread, she pulled out the rest of the ingredients she would need for a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich.  She held her phone between her ear and shoulder while spreading the Jelly on one side of the bread.

"Sorry.  Taylor came home so I moved outside so we could have more privacy.  I told him it was girl talk so he won't bother us."

"It's okay."  Nicole switched her phone to other ear after spreading the Peanut Butter on the other slice bread and putting it together.  "I'm just making a PB&J sandwich for myself."  After completing her sandwich, she placed the knife in the dishwasher and put the jar of Peanut Butter and Jelly away.  She poured herself a glass of milk and sat down at the kitchen table.

"That's it?  That isn't really a healthy dinner, Nic."

"I know, mother."  She said mockingly.  Nicole took a bite of her sandwich and wiped her mouth with her napkin.  "I'm so worn out from today I could care less.  All my body wants is some food and some rest."

"And some Christopher Kirkpatrick."  Kara mumbled under her breath over the phone.  Nicole's eyes widen and dropped her sandwich back on the plate.

"I heard that Kara!"  Nicole exclaimed and dropped her hand on her lap.  "Knock it off and help me out here."

"Alright alright," Kara laughed, "Well I gave you my two cents already."

Nicole swallowed what she had in her mouth and drank her glass of milk.  "I want another two cents."

"That would make four cents."  Kara joked.

"I know what two plus two equals Kara."  Nicole rolled her eyes in irritation and threw her paper plate in the garbage after she finished her sandwich.  "Stop being a nuisance.  How the hell does Taylor live with you and not want to strangle you?"

"He probably has had those thoughts many times, as I have had with him.  Hell, right now I want to strangle you with your stubbornness.  I told you Nic, tell him."

"Easy for you to say."  Nicole mumbled incoherently into the phone.  Setting her empty glass in the dishwasher, she walked toward her bedroom and collapsed onto her bed.

"Will you stop mumbling?  I can't understand you."

"Nothing."  Nicole waved it off and rolled onto her side.  "And how do I start this off?  Oh yeah, hey I know millions of girls are throwing themselves at your feet and you can get anyone you want but I like you."

"Not like that, you snot."  Nicole started to pick at the invisible string off her bedspread once she heard Kara sigh loudly.  "Don't make me drive over to your place and slap you.  I will."

Nicole flopped onto her back after Kara's warning.  "Sorry."  Nicole apologized softly.  "It's just....I dunno.  What if it screws up our friendship?  It isn't worth it if that happens.  He is my only best guy friend I have, besides Taylor, well Taylor is more of a brother than a best friend, but anyways-"

"Nic,"

Nicole continued as if Kara didn't say anything.  "Yeah I have a couple of guy friends, but not like, a best guy friend.  I wouldn't consider Justin, JC, Joey and Lance best friends.  We're just good friends.  And this isn't just about me, but him also.  He is getting over a big break up; he isn't ready for any kind of commitment."

"Nicole-"

"And not only that, but-"

"Nicole Branna McGinnis!  Will you stop rambling, my God.  Breathe."

Nicole took a deep breath and closed her eyes.  She opened her mouth to say something but closed it when she was cut off by Kara.

"First of all, calm the hell down, my God.  Like I said before; life is full of risks.  If you don't do anything about it you are going to sit back on this and wonder what if?  You'll see him with another girl and you will fill up with jealously and think about how it would be if it was you."  Nicole opened her mouth to protest.  "Close your mouth, Nicole and listen to me."

"But..." 

"I said close your mouth.  As I was say, stop thinking of all the negatives in that pretty little head of yours.  I know that the friendship isn't the only reason that is holding you back."

"Huh?"  She inquired.

Kara sighed heavily into the phone.  "I know Tom is part of what is holding you back."

Nicole gritted her teeth and silently said a curse under her breath.  "Why do you have to know me so well..."

"Because you had no one else to talk to in school.  So being the nice person I am, I felt horrible and little did I know," Nicole bit on her bottom lip to hold back the laughter that wanted to come out.  "You would stick to me like white on rice."

"That is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard!"  Nicole laughed over her friends' stupid analogy.

"Yeah, but it got you to laugh which is all that matters....So, about this situation with a famous hunky pop star...."

 

~~~~~~

Because tonight will be the night that I will fall for you
Over again
Don't make me change my mind
Or I won't live to see another day
I swear it's true
Because a girl like you is impossible to find


Nicole picked up her glass and took a sip, letting the cool liquid of her drink slide down her throat.  She fanned herself with her hand to try to cool herself down from the heat of the club Friday night.  Her eyes watched while her best friend, Kara, and her fiancé, Taylor, danced on the clubs floor.  It had been five days since she confessed to Kara about her feelings for Chris and surprisingly, Kara had bugged her about it too much.  She loved Kara to death, but she always made a big deal over everything. 

After dancing for the past couple songs with her friends, Nicole excused herself and made her way toward the bar to get a drink.  Her eyes scanned around the club and winced when the bright lights were aimed in her eyes for a few seconds.  Nicole rolled her eyes and tried to contain a laugh when the song "Baby Got Back" started to pump threw the speakers.

"This song is ridiculous."  Nicole said to no one specifically and took another sip of her Long Island Ice-Tea.

"You know what is ridiculous?"  Nicole rolled her eyes when she heard a male voice ask her from behind.  What lame-ass line am I going to hear now?  Nicole took another sip of her drink as the voice continued to talk behind her.  "That such a pretty girl like you is all alone."

Nicole turned on her heels to tell the guy behind her she was taken.  Her jaw dropped when she recognized the guy that was standing behind her with a smirk on his lips.

"Chris?"  Nicole asked, dumbfounded that he was there.  Her eyes drank in the sight of him in a black button down shirt while his jeans hung on his hips.  Chris rolled his sleeves up to his elbows and smiled at her.

"That's the name that my momma gave me."  Chris said after pulling her into a hug, his brown eyes sparkling.  "Didn't know I would see you here."

"Kara, Taylor and I decided to go out."  Nicole felt like melting into the floor as his eyes connected once more with hers and smiled.  "You did you come with?"

"Joey."  Chris nodded his head toward the dance floor.  "He's out there."

"So are Taylor and Kara."

"And why are you not out there making men drool?"  Chris asked as his eyes went back to hers.

Nicole rolled her eyes and placed her empty glass on the bar table beside her.  "I needed a drink."

"Want to dance?"  He asked her over the music.  After receiving a nod, he reached for Nicole's hand and made his way through the crowd of people.  After making his way onto the dance floor and finding a spot, he turned around and looked at her.  The way she looked in the green dress, bringing out her green eyes, made his heart race.

He watched as she turned around before him and had her back against him, swaying her hips to the beat as she danced.  He put his hands on her hips as they dance together.  He lost the ability to breathe; it was pushed out of his thoughts by the way she danced against him.  He knew that Nicole was a great dancer, but the way she was moving made his knees weak and his body to go crazy inside.  He was hypnotized by her.

Snapping his head up, he opened his eyes and fixed them straight on the owner of the one who was making him crazy.  Nicole smiled as she placed her hands on his chest and grind against one of his legs.  His hands slowly moved down her sides as he bit his lower lip. When his fingers closed around her waist, he pulled her closer to him while they continued to dance together.

Nicole felt a chill run down her spine when her body was pressed up against his.  Looking up, her green eyes connected with his brown ones.  Slowly, she moved her hands from his chest and wrapped them around his neck, linking her fingers together behind his neck.  She felt her insides trembling and her knees weakening by the sight of the adorable grin on his face.  She had always been a sucker for brown eyes and a good smile.

They both forgot about the other people in the club while they continued to stare into each other's eyes, dancing, lost in their own world.  Chris licked his lips.  Nicole's eyes watched his tongues movement and wondering how he tasted.

Chris eyes darted to her lips than back to her eyes while the same thought ran through his mind.  Taking a breath, he swallowed the lump in his throat.  He didn't care if anyone saw what he was going to do next.  He wanted to kiss her.

Nicole's heart fluttered madly when she saw his head lowed a bit.  Tilting her head slightly, she raised her head and couldn't wait for the contact she was craving for.  She felt his breath brush against her lips and she knew it was about to happen.

"Nicole!"

Chris and Nicole both jerked their heads back in surprise.  Chris looked over Nicole's head and rolled his eyes when he saw Joey standing there.  I'm going to kill him.

Nicole felt her face get warm.  She moved her arms from around Chris's shoulders and turned around to see who called her name.  The warmth of Chris's arms disappeared when he pulled them away from her.  Nicole forced a smile on her face to try and put her arms out to embrace Joey.

"Hey Joe."

"I didn't know you were going to be here, girl!"  Joey took a step back and eyed her up and down.  "What were you doing on hogging this hot thing all night, Chris?!"

"I didn't know she was here either until a bit ago."  Chris shoved his hands in his pockets and tried to hide the disappointment in his face.  Maybe it's for the best that it didn't happen.  He told himself.

Nicole laughed when Joey pulled her towards him and started dancing.  Chris rested his hand on her back and leaned toward her ear.  "Come with Joey to the VIP room when you guys are done." Nicole looked at him and nodded her head.  He smiled at her, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek before making his way through the crowd and towards the VIP area.

After giving the guy at the door a short nod, he walked up the stairs and sat down in one of the booths.  Signaling the waiter for another beer, he sat back and let his eyes roam around the dance floor.  Thanking the waiter, he took a big sip of his beer and looked back on the dance floor.  He watched while Joey twirled Nicole in circles; Nicole tilting her head back as she laughed over Joey's crazy moves.

He watched as Nicole pulled her hair up off the back of her neck with her hands and continued to dance with Joey.  Closing his eyes, he pinched the bridge of his nose and leaned over.  He let his hand holding his cold beer bottle dangling between his legs while positioning his elbow on his knee.  I almost kissed her.  Chris shook his head and rubbed the bridge of his nose while the scene played over in his head.  Did she know I was going to?  Did she want it?  Chris sighed to himself while questions flooded in his mind.  I really need to have that talk with Jace before I fuck something up.  I'm going crazy.

Taking another sip, he jerked his heard toward where he heard Nicole's laughter float over the music.  It was music to his ears.  Behind her, Joey, Kara and Taylor came into view, all of them laughing.  Chris raised a brow in question and watched while Nicole sat down and scooted over toward him.

"What is so funny?"  He asked while glancing at Nicole.

Nicole pointed her finger at Joey as she continued to giggle.  "Joey tried to be slick and failed."  She took a deep breath before giggling again.  "He fell going up the stairs."

"I did not fall."  Joey rolled his eyes and sat down.

"Than what, the stairs tried to knock you down?"  Kara asked in between laughter.

"Yep."  Joey chuckled with a nod.

Nicole leaned over and cupped her hand over Chris's ear.  "He was trying to show off for some girls."

Chris chuckled and sat his beer bottle on the table in front of him.  "Nice Joe."  Chris nodded his head towards Kara and Taylor.  "Hey Taylor," Chris smirked after he looked at Kara.  "Am I going be carrying you out again tonight?"

Kara rolled her eyes and flicked him off while everyone around the table laughed.  "No you won't you ass.  We are all sober and will be sober."  Kara motioned with her hand towards Taylor and Kristen.  "That happened only once."  Kara whined slightly before crossing her arms and pouting.  "It was a couple months ago; can we let it go please?  Not like it hasn't happen to any of you before."

"Yeah but never really on a first time meeting bases."  Joey teased.

"Kara has always made lovely first impression."  Taylor joked while putting his arm around his fiancé.  Kara huffed and pinched Taylor's side.

Chris's turned his attention toward Nicole when he saw her looking at him out of the corner of his eye while Taylor, Joey, and Kara continued to joke around.

"You okay?"  Nicole asked him while running her hand up and down his back.  Her face was full of confusion and concern.  Continually looking at him, her head tilt slightly as she waited for his answer.  Chris gave her a miniature smile while he nodded his head.

Her hand ran up his back to his neck, rubbing it gently.  Her eyes studied his facial features.  Her eyes traveled along his strong jaw line, the small silver hoop earring in his ear and a fuzz patch on his chin under his full pink lips.  Her eyes connected with his again while her hand ran through his black with red tips spiky hair.

"You sure?"  She asked him again awhile trying to read his face expression.  After dancing on the floor, she couldn't stop thinking about what might have happened.  Nicole wondered what would of happen if Joey didn't appear.  I'm so jumping the gun over this.  We are just friends.

"Mhm."  He said, his voice bringing her out of her thoughts.

"Alright than."  Nicole moved her arm and looked at her hand in disgust.  She instantly rubbed her palm, covered with his sweat, against his shirt causing a laugh out of Chris.  "Gross."

"You should see it after a show."  Chris teased.

"No thank you." Nicole shook her head, her black hair moving around her face.  Nicole tucked her hair behind her ear and leaned her head against his shoulder.  Chris looked down at her before wrapping an arm around her shoulder.  "That was gross enough."

Chris chuckled before taking one last swig of his beer and placed the empty bottle on the table.  A small smile tugged on his lips when he felt her in his arm.  Everything he was apprehensive about escaped out of him the moment he put his arm around her.  It felt right; perfect; like it was where she belonged.  Chris glanced down at her once more before looking back around the club.  After making a mental on to talk to JC as soon as possible, he squeezed her arm softly before running his hand up and down her arm.  He wanted to stay like this forever, and that thought scared him.  Am I even ready for this?

End Notes:

 

Song Credit: "Fall For You" by Secondhand Serenade.

Chapter 7 by WhiteSoxLuvr9
Nicole let out a loud sigh as she stood in the middle of a shopping store on Wednesday night.

"How the heck did I get dragged into this?"

"Because you love us."  Joey simply stated with a smile.

"I beg to differ."  Nicole groaned.  "Shopping with just Chris is a pain, but all five of you?!"  Nicole looked around the store, her eyes landing on each one, leaving Chris last, narrowing her eyes at him.  "You tricked me."

"Ah, that my dear is false."  Chris patted her arm and smiled like an innocent child trying to buy their way out of trouble.  "I just forgot to mention that the rest of the clan was coming."

"Meaning you tricked me."  Nicole rolled her eyes.  "Not like you guys need any more clothes.  Like you!"  Nicole pointed at Justin while he was looking at the sneakers.  Justin slowly turned his head to look at her while he held a pair in his hands.  "Last thing you need is another pair of sneakers.  You have like what, one hundred pairs?"

"This is coming from the girl who has how many pairs of boots?"  Justin said.  A grin appeared on his face when Nicole stuttered with a response.  "Exactly."

"I'm a girl.  I'm supposed to have tons of shoes."

"Don't even try to fight with him over that.  It's not worth it."  JC told her while looking at the t-shirt in his hands.

"Keep the claws intact."  Lance teased.  "We need to get you an Orlando Magic shirt anyways.  What are you suppose to wear when we take you to a game?"

"I've never been to a game, even more importantly even know how to play or watched it on TV."

"Which is why we are taking you to your first game this year and need to get you a shirt."  Chris looped his arm with hers and dragged her along with him.  "Come on my dear."

"Alright."  Chris said after dragging Nicole over to the jersey section of the store.  "T-shirt or Jersey?"

"T-shirt."

Chris nodded his head, clicking his chin with his index finger while flipping through some of the shirts on the hangers.  "What size are you?"

"I dunno what I am in guy's clothes, Chris."  Nicole answered, looking at him like he was stupid.

"You're a pain in my ass, you know that?"  Chris replied.

"I'm here to please."  Nicole replied and smiled.

Chris chuckled.  He pulled off a shirt and held it against her.  "That is a wrong sentence to ever say to a guy."

"Yeah and you feeling me up isn't wrong?"

Chris let out a gasp as he looked at her.  "I am not feeling you up!"  He protested.

Nicole looked down at his hands, still holding the Orlando Magic shirt against her, and looked back at up him.  Chris followed her eye movements and rolled his eyes.  "This is what I get for trying to help you.  My hands aren't even touching your boobs."

"Boobs?"  Joey questioned.

"Nothing Joey."  Nicole looked over her shoulder at him.  Joey smiled, winking at her before sticking his foot out slightly, tripping Justin when walking by.  Nicole shook her head, covering her face with her hands and turned back around to look at Chris.

"Yep, this one is good."  Chris tossed it on his shoulder and looped his arm with hers again.  "See that wasn't so painful."  He teased and bumped his hip with hers.  "Was it?"

"Oh look, a Steelers shirt!"  Nicole pointed out to try and distract him.

"Oh where?!"  Chris looked around the wall they were standing at.  Lance started laughing after seeing what Nicole pulled.

"You know, if you want us to take you to a store since we forced you in here..."  Joey said.  Nicole raised a brow while she looked at him, waiting for him to continue.

"Spit it out Joe.  I don't like the look on your face."  Nicole told him.

"We can take you to Victoria Secret.  Just for you."  Joey sated, wiggling his eyebrows.  Nicole rolled her eyes and shook her head with a smile.

"Oooh, Victoria Secret."  Justin's head shot up and looked over at them.  "We have  no problem going there for you."

"I don't need to go to Victoria Secret."  Nicole laughed and uncrossed her arms, sticking her hands in the pockets of her jacket.  "I already went last week."

"What!?"  Justin and Joey exclaimed. "And you didn't invite us?"

"Next time you better call us and we will come.  You know you always need an extra option." Justin added with a nod.

"Right, I'll keep that in mind."  Nicole replied sarcastically while rolling her eyes.  "Not."  Nicole mumbled under her breath just loud enough for Chris, Lance and JC to hear who were around her.

"Don't turn around.  Paparazzi."  Lance mumbled under his breath with a heavy sigh.

Nicole froze; her eyes got wide and swallowed the lump in her throat.  Chris gave her a strange look when he felt her get tense.

"Are you okay?"

"I dunno what to do."  Nicole said, looking over at Chris.

"Aww, is it Nikki's first time with the paparazzi?"  Justin said with a teasing glint in his eyes.  His face went serious after he saw the frightful look on her face.

"This has never happened when I've been out with you guys before.  I don't want my face everywhere.  I dunno what it will do with my job.  I dunno how the parents of my kids would feel seeing me on magazines or on the TV."

JC took the hat off his head and placed it on top of hers, adjusting the size so it fit her head.  He lowered it slightly to block out her face.  "Here you go sweetheart.  When we leave just keep your head down; we'll guide you to the car."

"Thank you."

"Don't need to thank us."  JC told her as he rubbed her back.  "I think we are all just about done here so you and Chris can just wait here while I find Joey."

Nicole nodded her head and stuck her hands in her jackets pockets.  Chris gently bumped his hip with hers to try and get her to smile.  Nicole turned her head slightly with a brow raised as she looked at him.

"You worry too much about what other people might think of you."  Chris told her and wrapped his arm around her shoulder.  "Who cares what the parents might think?"

"They might complain to Ann and I might get fired.  Just think about it, how would you feel if you were in their shoes?"

Chris shrugged his shoulders.  "I don't think it would bother me as long as the teacher wasn't party crazy and doing drugs or drinking every night."  He looked at her.  "If I saw photos of her being crazy, yeah than I would probably have a problem but photos of her shopping with a celebrity?  Harmless unless that celebrity was bad news."

"Yeah..."  Nicole took a breath and let it out slowly.  "I guess you're right."

"Psh," Chris rolled his eyes.  "I'm always right."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night Kirkpatrick."

"Don't make me lick you to get you to laugh."  Chris warned her playfully.

Nicole gave him a look.  "Lick me?  Oh that would be cute picture for them to get."

Chris shrugged his shoulders while chuckling.  "They already know I'm crazy.  Why not give them more proof?"

"Guys, ready to pay and leave?"  JC asked them with Justin, Joey and Lance by him.  "Before everyone in the world finds out we are here and it is a zoo outside?"

"You are now going to be the mystery girl."  Justin told her while he paid for his things.  "Those are my favorite kind of stories."

"Hmm..."  Joey leaned his arm on the counter while they lady behind it continued to ring up Justin's stuff.  Lance stood beside Joey to block the paparazzi view of Nicole.  "I know one of the rumors will probably be that she is one of our girlfriends."

"Oh all of ours."  Justin joked while handing over his credit card to the cashier.  "Ooohh."  Justin looked at Nicole, wiggling his eyebrows.  "Scandalous!"

"Dream on, Justin."  Nicole told him with a grin.

"Damn."  Justin snapped his fingers and moved over while signing his receipt for the rest of the guys to pay for their stuff.  "Guess I'll just keep dreaming."

"What are you doing?"  Nicole asked Chris when she saw him pay for his things.

Chris looked over his shoulder at her with a confused look on his face while he handed the cashier his credit card.  "Uh, paying for my things.  That is what people do, Nicole."

"You didn't have to pay for my shirt."

Chris waved her off before signing his receipt.  "It's my pay back for," Chris handed the cashier the pen and receipt and looked back at Nicole, "Tricking you."  Chris did quotations with his fingers.  He smirked and picked up his bag.

Lance chuckled and handed his receipt over the counter also.  "Alright, let's go."

JC rubbed Nicole's arm and gave her an encouraging smile.  "Mike, Tony and Dave won't let anything happen to either of us, don't worry."

"Finally."  Mike said.  "You all shop like girls, especially you."  Mike looked over at Justin.  Justin rolled his eyes.

"You tell me that every time we go shopping.  You are so over dramatic.  Ready to keep our asses safe?"

"Only because I get a paycheck over it."  Tony joked and opened the door.  "Let's get this madness over with.

"Yay!"  Justin grabbed onto the back of Mike's shirt when they started to walk out.  "Follow the leader!"

"Choke me and I'll leave you for the dogs."  Mike said.

Nicole reached forward, grabbing onto JC's hand before grabbing onto Chris's while he stood behind her.  Both guys gave her hand a slightly squeeze before walking out of the store and following behind the rest of the guys and their bodyguards.

Nicole's eyes stayed glued to the floor so she didn't trip over anything while flashes went off around them.  The voices shooting around her sounded muffled while her she concentrated on the ground beneath her.

She let out a breath of relief after they all jumped into the SUV.  "Oh my god."

The guys chuckled over her outburst.  JC patted her knee.  "You did fine."

"How the hell can you deal with that?"  She asked while taking off the hat JC gave her and handing it back to him.  "Thanks."

All the guys shrugged their shoulders like it was nothing.

"We are just use to it."  Joey told her.

"Yeah, we knew what we were getting ourselves into when we started the group."  Lance added.

"Doesn't it drive you insane?"  Nicole questioned while positioning her purse on her lap.

"Yeah."  Justin turned to look at her.  "But like Lance said, we knew what we were getting ourselves into so we just have to suck it up.  We wanted to do this, and this comes with it."

"I dunno how you guys do it."  Nicole shook her head.  "Crazy."

"Because of us."  Mike told her as he looked at her in the review mirror, a smile on his face.  "They would be pancakes if it wasn't for us."

"Oh there he goes with that ego."  Chris joked.  He pointed to Mike.  "Without us you wouldn't have a job."

"I would be helping someone else besides all your white asses."

"Your wife loves me."  Justin said proudly, puffing out his chest.

"Only because she doesn't have to deal with you."  Mike caught Justin's eyes in the review mirror.  "Keep it up boy and I'll toss you out of the car right now."

"Johnny would fire you."

"I'll just tell Johnny you jumped out on your own."  Tony said, turning around in the front seat to look at them.  "And I'm sure the guys would go along with the story."

Justin let out a huff, crossing his arms and leaning back in his seat.  "Let's just all pick on the young one."

"Awww, JuJu."  Nicole leaned over her seat and wrapped her arms around his neck, leaning her head against his.  "It's okay little one."

"I knew you would stand up for me."  Justin wiped an imaginary tear off his cheek and sniffed.  Nicole patted his chest, trying not to laugh and sat back in her seat.

"Keep your day job, Justin.  Acting is not your forte."  Nicole quickly reached forehead and grabbed a hold of Justin's hand when she saw him heading for Lance's head.  "Leave Lance alone."

Lance looked over to his side to see Nicole holding onto Justin's hand, right by his ear.  Lance glared at Justin before looking back at Nicole with a smile.  "Thank you."

"He laughed at me!"  Justin wined and dropped his hands in his lap.

"Oh hunny."  Nicole patted Justin's arm.  "A lot of people do."

Justin grunted and crossed his arms across his chest.  "No respect."

 

~~~~

Mamma
You gave love to me
Turned a young one into a woman

Mamma
All I ever needed
Was a guarantee of you loving me

'Cause I know
There is no other
Love like a mother's love for her child

And it hurts so
That something so strong
Someday will be gone, must say goodbye

"Hey Mommy."  Nicole barley whispered when she walked up to her mother's hospital bed.  Nicole reached over and brushed her mother's brown hair off her face before running her finger down her mother's cheek, feeling her cold skin against hers.  Nicole took a breath, holding back the tears that wanted to spill onto her cheeks.  She looked up at the monitor, watching her mother's faint heart beats make small mountain like images following by soft beeps.

Nicole let out a shaky breath before climbing onto her mother's hospital bed and laying down next to her.  She looked at her mother's face, looking peaceful from the pain medication the nurses gave her, silently praying for her mother to wake up from her unconscious.

"I hope you can hear me, mom."  Nicole blinked rapidly to fight back to tears that were trying to fight free.  "Or else I'd feel silly for just rambling on to you yesterday and today."  Nicole forced a weak smile on her face.  Quickly, she took a hold of her mother's hand and held it tightly, telling herself not to let go.  Kristen wiped away the tear that started to roll down her cheek as she watched her mother's breathing become more labored than it was this morning when she first came to visit.

"I remember how you always told me to never give up no matter what the situation is."  She slowly took a breath and laid her head down next to her mothers.  "And I'm not giving up on you.  Even if..."  Nicole swallowed the lump in her throat, "Even if...you don't make it I won't ever give up.  I know you will be with me in spirit in every step I take."

"I'll go back to work, find that man that you want me to marry and give you babies."  Nicole chuckled softly as she remembered all the talks her and her mother had over that topic.  "Someday."  Nicole said with a soft chuckle.  "Don't think it is going to happen anytime soon."

Nicole kissed her mother on the cheek while another tear rolled down her cheek, landing on the white pillow forming a small wet spot where it landed seconds ago.  "I wish they would be able to see the amazing Grandmother I know you couldn't wait to be, but I know you will still be doing your job in heaven."  Nicole smiled weakly before resting her head on her mother's shoulder.  "You never were the one to give up, no matter what and always did what you wanted."

Nicole squeezed her mother's hand gently as she closed her eyes, letting her tears run feeling down her cheeks.  "I love you, mommy.  Tell Granny and Pop-Pop I say hi."

Nicole sat up quickly in her bed, tears on her cheeks with a hand on her chest, breathing heavy.  She flicked on the switch and looked around her room, wiping the tears off her cheeks and from her eyes.

"Just a dream." Nicole mumbled, falling back on her bed and putting her hand against her forehead.  She looked over at the time, seeing her alarm clock letting her know in bright red letters telling her it was four in the morning.

Nicole rolled onto her side and pulled her covers up to her chin while she thought of the dream over in her head, the last moment she had with her mother before she passed away the next morning.  She looked up, smiling softly when she saw the picture of her and her mother just days before, hugging each other with matching smiles on both faces while they sat out in the backyard of her parent's place that summer.

She remembered that day perfectly.  It was her mother's birthday and her and her father planned a surprise party at her parents' house.  Nicole took her mother out to lunch while the guests appeared at the house and her father set up the rest of the party.  She could remember her mother's face the moment they walked into their backyard after lunch and seeing everyone, family and friends, all spread out in the backyard yelling surprise.

That party was the party that her mother made her promise to get married to a lovely guy and give her grandchildren to spoil rotten.  Nicole smiled, closing her eyes and shaking her head while the memory flooded her mind.

**

"Nicole, I'm serious." Her mother, Kaitlyn, said while they sat around the table in the backyard of her parent's house at her mother's surprise birthday party.  "I've been waiting to throw my baby the most amazing wedding for years and to have little ones of you running around my house."

"Mom," Nicole rolled her eyes all while chuckling.  "I'm only twenty two.  I got many years for that."

"Age is nothing but a number dear.  I was only twenty three when I met your father."

Nicole let out a sigh and took a sip of her drink, her eyes never leaving her mothers.  "I know mommy."

"Just wait," her mother pointed a finger at her and winked, "I was just like you.  Claiming I wasn't going to get married young and would wait till I was around thirty."  Her mother smiled.  "But when your father walked in my life, it changed everything.  One day there will be a guy that suddenly, and unexpectedly, will walk into your life and sweep you off your feet.  Promise me, dear."  Her mother leaned over and took Nicole's hand in hers.  "When you meet that guy, you don't let him go."

"I promise, mother."  Nicole laughed.

"Good."  Her mother squeezed her daughters hand gently before clasping her hands together in front of her.  "And to never give up on anything, no matter how hard it can get."

"I know."

"Remember," her mother continued, brushing her daughters black hair out of her eyes, "Even after I pass, I will always be there for you.  You can talk to me anytime; I will be there with opening ears." Kaitlyn smiled.  "Always."

**

Nicole sighed while continuous looking at the picture of her and her mother.  She wiped the falling tear off her cheek and snuggled closer to her pillow and blanket.

"You will get that promise one of these days mom."  Nicole said out loud.

Instantly, Chris's face appeared in her mind and she wondering what her mother would of said if she met him.  Her mothers option always matter the most to her. 

"I wish you were here to give me your motherly advice over this thing with Chris and I before I drive myself up the wall."
End Notes:

 

Song Credits: Goodbye's (The Saddest Word) by: Celine Dion

Chapter 8 by WhiteSoxLuvr9
Author's Notes:
What?  Two updates in a week?  I know..shocking!..haha...It JUST might had to do with the Chicago White Sox on a 4-Game winning streak...Chicago Bears football starting next week...and College football starting today. :) ...Just...might have to do with all that hype..haha...That's just my guess :) .  Enjoy, loves!

Kara and Nicole rocked back and forth in the car while singing at the top of their lungs with the car radio on their annual girl's night that Thursday.  They always tried to have at least one girl's night during the week since starting college couple years ago.  They knew once "adult life" started it was harder to talk or see each other every day like it use to be High School.  With Kara getting engaged and moving in with Taylor and Nicole with her dream job, teaching PreK at a daycare, it was the one night they could "push away" all the adult life matters in addition to relax and not have to worry about wedding details or what to plan for the next class.  A night of cocktails, gossip, sushi, and laughter.

Some people couldn't figure out how those two were best friends.  In more ways than one were they complete opposite of each other.  Kara was loud, told you how it was and didn't care.  She was blunt, as for Nicole she was the more conservative and quiet one.  Nicole was labeled as the classy sweetheart while Kara would get labeled as the loud bitch.  Countless times Nicole was there to sweet talk Kara out of trouble with her parents, people Kara would tick off when they were out, and even the police.  Nicole had the sweet talking down as a professional.

Even though they were more than half of the opposite of each other, they had a bond like no other.  Kara always knew how to bring out the crazy side of Nicole.  Their parents and teachers called them double trouble when they were together.  They had similarities and differences, but it was what made their bond strong.

"All you people can't you see, can't you see how your love's affecting our reality?  Every time we're down, you can make it right, and that makes you larger than life!"  Kara and Nicole sang loudly.  Once the song was over both girls looked at each other before busting out in laughter.  Kara leaned over and turned the radio down.

"And this is why Taylor won't join us when we go out for dinner."  Kara said between laughter before checking that the lane beside her was clear.

"Oh my god, Chris and the guys would not be happy with me if they knew about this."  Nicole said after wiping a small tear that escaped her eye.  Both girls let out another small giggle.

"Speaking of Chris," Kara glanced at Nicole before looking back on the road.  "You two were very close at the club last Friday."

Nicole rolled her eyes and crossed her legs.  "When you dance with someone you kind of got to get close to them."  She said stubbornly.

"What?"  Nicole asked Kara when she saw the gaze her friend was giving her.  Nicole sat up in her seat.  "It's true!"

"You are such a brat."  Kara rolled her eyes at her friend and looked back on the road.  "Whatever helps you sleep at night.  All I was saying is that you two looked really close.  You're the one who started to get all defensive over it."

Groaning, Nicole leaned her head against the car's head rest and sighed.  Closing her eyes, she ignored the snickering she could hear coming from Kara.  Instantly an image of Chris appeared in her head and she tried to control the smile that crept on her lips.  The way his adorable smile could make her melt, the way his brown eyes looked into hers, causing butterflies to flutter in her stomach.  Every time she was around him it felt like she was hit with amnesia.

Maybe it was the way she could easily be herself in front of him and he didn't care a care in the world.  There were numerous times they both sang at the top of their voices and danced around with people all around them, or if it was just them.  He could make her heart beat fast and slow at the same time.  No one has ever made her feel this way before.  No one.

"I think he was going to kiss me in the club."  Nicole admitted.  Swiftly, Nicole shoved her hands in front of her when her friend slammed on the break.  "What the hell Kara!"  Nicole coughed after getting choked by her seatbelt.  Nicole rubbed her shoulder and neck while glaring at her friend.  "The light isn't red and nothing is on the street in front of us.  You almost killed me!"

Kara twisted in her seat and looked at Nicole.  "He was going to kiss you!?"

"Yes?  No?  Maybe?"  Nicole rubbed her shoulder.  "What the hell was that smack for?!"  She asked after hitting smacked by Kara on the arm.

"Is there a reason you were withholding this information from me?"  Kara crossed her arms over her chest and narrowed her eyes at Nicole.

Nicole looked at the cars behind them when she heard them honking.  "Drive Kara."

Kara glanced at Nicole with narrowed eyes before starting the car again.  "I'm pissed at you right now."

"Yeah and I should be pissed at you for almost breaking my neck back there.  What the hell were you thinking?!"

Kara rolled her eyes over her friend dramatic response.  "What else do you expect me to do when I hear that?"

"Not that."  Nicole hissed and leaned back in her seat.  "I'm telling Taylor."

"You could tell Taylor that I had a sex dream that involved with JC for all I care.  You," Kara pointed her finger at Nicole, "And I are having a talk when we get to your apartment."

"If you don't kill me with your driving."  Nicole mumbled under her breath.

"I heard that."

Nicole turned her neck, giving Kara a enormous smile while batting her eyelashes.  Looking over, Kara rolled her eyes and shoved Nicole's shoulder.  "I'm going to smack that smile off your face if you pull this crap with me again."

Nicole sighed and sat back in her seat with her arms crossed.  Couple minutes later she heard Kara snicker.  Not understanding what was so funny; Nicole raised a brow at the same time as she looked over at her friend.  "Um, what is so funny?"

Kara looked over at Nicole before turning into Nicole's apartment complex.  "I can't believe you actually said you were going to tell Taylor."  Kara let out a laugh.  "What the hell are you, five years old?"

Realizing how stupid it was, Nicole started laughing and undid her seatbelt after Kara parked the car.  "I'm around little kids to much.  I'm starting to tattle like them."

Kara continued to laugh and leaned her forehead against the steering wheel.  "If you actually went to Taylor and told him that,"

"He would just roll his eyes and walk out of the room."  Nicole finished Kara's sentence and got out of Kara's Blue Jetta Volkswagen, both girls still giggling.

"He already thinks we are crazy.  We don't need to give him any more proof."

Kara giggled while linking her arm with Nicole's and started making their way to Nicole's apartment.  "Hurry up."  Kara said impatiently while Nicole was digging in her purse to find her keys.  "I want to know what happen.  It's eating me up inside."

After glancing up at Kara, Nicole rolled her eyes and opened the front door once finding her keys.  "Chill.  There isn't much to say...Ow-Ow-Ow, stop pulling on my arm!"  Nicole exclaimed while Kara pulled on her arm toward the couch. 

Pushing Nicole on her couch, Kara plopped down next to her friend, sitting Indian style and folding her hands in her lap. "Okay, go."

Out of all the people I became friends with, it had to be her.  Nicole said to herself.  Setting her purse on the coffee table in front of her, Nicole slouched down on her couch and rubbed her face with her hands.  "I don't know what to think anymore, Kara."  Taking a deep breath, she let it out slowly and rubbed her forehead with her fingers.  "One minute everything is fine then," Nicole outstretched her arms.  "We're on the dance floor and I can't think, like everything become cloudy."

Kara leaned forward, pressing her elbow against her own knee.  Setting her chin on her palm, she motioned with her head to continue.  Nicole stood up and started to pace back and forth in her living room.

"I don't know Kara.  The way he was looking at me while we were dancing."  Nicole pinched the bridge of her nose while continuing pacing, "It wasn't like how he was looking at me just minutes before.  We couldn't stop staring at each other.  For a couple minutes, I totally forgot about everyone else in the room."  Nicole looked over at Kara after hearing her make a noise on interest.

"Then," Nicole continued and sighed softly while the whole event played in her head.  "I thought he was going to kiss me."

"Thought?"  Kara asked.

Nicole nodded her head.  "That's why I said maybe in the car."  Nicole shrugged her shoulders.  "He closed his eyes and moved his head down but then Joey appeared."

"Damnit Joey."  Kara cursed.  "Ruining everything."

"I'm so confused."  Nicole confessed and dropped back down on her couch.  "I'm so conflicted over all of this...Ugh!"  Nicole bounced her head a couple of times against the back of her couch.  "Why me?  Why me?  Why me?  Why do I have to fall for someone famous?  Why can't it be so easy on figuring out what is between Chris and I?"

"What is there between the two of you?"  Kara inquired.

"Nothing.  Just a really good friendship."

"Hm."  Kara hummed.  Kara moved around so she was sitting next to Nicole.  "By the way he looks at you; I think he has a thing for you also."

"What do you mean?"  Nicole asked.

"He doesn't look at you the same way how Taylor or the other guys look at you."  Kara looked at Nicole while she sat there looking straight ahead; listening to what Kara was telling her.  "It's really cute actually."  Kara laughed softly and patted Nicole's knee.  "I still say you need to talk to him about this.  You two are adults, not middle schoolers."

Kara was right; she was being like a middle schooler over it.  I'm twenty-six for crying out loud.  She couldn't think of the last time she felt like this over a guy.  Tom.  That name gave her a bitter taste in her mouth.  After everything she went through with him, she didn't know if it was worth it again. 

Nicole couldn't figure out why he would like her.  He could have anyone in the world.  She was just a Pre-K teacher at a day-care.  His last ex, Karen, was a model.  The pieces of the puzzle didn't seem to fit correctly to her.   I wish you were here to help me mommy.  I could really use your daughter-mother tips right now.  Nicole sighed and laid her head on Kara's shoulder, remembering the dream she had the night before with her mom.

Kara wrapped her arm around her friend.  "What you thinking about, Nic?"

"I had a dream last night.  My mom was in it."

Kara nodded her head and continued to give Nicole her full attention.

"It was the last day I was with my mom, in the hospital, before she passed away."  Nicole looked down at her fingers and started to pick at her nails.  "When I promised her I would marry that guy she always wanted me to and to everything.  I couldn't go back to sleep because that was all I could think of."  Nicole looked at Kara.  "Every time I had a dream about my mom since she passed it always seemed like it was her giving me a sign."

Kara nodded her head, squeezing Nicole's shoulder lightly.  She remembered the many talks they had over the dreams Nicole would have that her mother was in.  Every dream had a reason it to it, like it was her mother giving Nicole a sign since she couldn't talk to her.

"You think maybe it is another sign?"  Kara asked quietly.  She knew how painfully it was for Nicole to talk about her mom still.  It was a healing process she was still going though.  Just give her time. Nicole's therapist told her when she went to talk to her on what she could do to help her friend.  It's a healing process.  Each person is different.  Some heal faster than others.  It could be months, even years.  Just be there in every step of the way and one day, it will happen.

"Maybe?  I dunno what about though."  Nicole whispered; bring Kara out of her thoughts.

"Maybe," Kara declared after a minute of silence.  "She is telling you to talk to Chris about this."  She rubbed Nicole's arm and looked at her when she didn't get a reaction.  "What you thinking about?"

Nicole blew out a frustrated breath.  "How do I tell one of the biggest popstars in the world that I'm falling for them?"

 

~~~

Chris threw his keys on the kitchen counter and jogged toward the house phone as it rang after entering his house.

"Hello?"  Chris answered.  Instantaneously he smiled when he heard his mom's voice over the phone.  "I'm good mom.  How are you?"

Chris moved around in his kitchen while talking to his mom.  Putting food into Busta's dog bowl, Chris continued to tell his mother about the talks and plans of him and the guys going back into the studio to finish the CD they started months ago after the mini break they just had.

Chris hopped up onto the counter while continual to talk to his mother for another thirty minutes before saying he loved her and hanging up the phone.  He glanced at the clock, seeing it was already five o'clock in the afternoon.

"Ready to go outside, Busta?"  Chris asked his dog.  After hearing a bark, he pushed himself off the counter and walked to the back door, opening it and letting Busta run out before him.  He shut the door behind him and saw the basketball out of the corner of his eye.  He picked up the orange ball and started dribbling it toward the small basketball court he had on the side with Busta running around in the grass beside it.

Chris dribbled the orange basketball on the court before lifting his arms up and shooting it towards the hoop, smiling when it fell through the net.  Picking up the ball again, he dribbled it to another spot and took another shot, watching it bounce off the edge of the red rim and into the grass.

"Damnit."  Chris mumbled after the missed shot and jogged towards the ball.  Grabbing the ball, he jogged back onto the court, passing it between his legs before taking a jump shot.  He pumped his fist to himself after watching it swish through the net again.

Basketball was something he would do when he had a lot on his mind.  Not only him, but the other guys also.  He couldn't count how many times while on tour him and the guys would just toss the ball around and play a game, with or without a hoop involved.  Sometimes they were just harmless games; sometimes they would throw out bets on the table and play like it was the NBA championship game.

Chris took a breath, feeling the crisp cool air fill his lungs.  He moved the basketball in his hands, feeling the little bumps of rubber against her skin.  It was late November and the weather finally started to cool down a bit.  Well, cool as it would get in Florida.  Chris chuckled, images of people he saw on the side of the road that where wearing sweatshirts and pants looking cold.  Here he was, standing in the middle of his court in just a t-shirt and basketball shorts.  Sure it would get cool enough he would put on a sweatshirt, but not to the point of putting on a winter jacket, which he would see sometimes during the Florida winter.  If people here think this is cold, they should try a winter in Pennsylvania.

Holding the rubber ball in his hands, he shot the ball again, getting a blank shot.  He watched it bounced off the backboard at an angle and dropped into the basket.  Chris jogged out to where the foul line would be, cross dribbling the ball along the way from hand to hand.  Once getting there he bent his legs and his arms slightly.  Swiftly he jumped up, straightening his arms, flicked his wrist and watched the ball sore in the air and into the hoop.

"Nice shot."

Startled, Chris twisted his body around.  "Jesus."  Chris breathed out in relief when he saw Nicole standing there.  "You scared the hell out of me."

"Sorry."  Nicole apologized.  "Thought you heard me pull up."

Chris shook his head and picked up the basketball once more.  He tossed the ball in the air a couple of times while walking towards where she was standing.  Slowly a smile appeared on his face while he took in her appearance.  She had a small smile on her face while she stood there in jean pants and a blue sweatshirt, the world ‘PINK' and ‘Victoria Secret' on the front.  He positioned the ball under his arm and gave her a one arm hug.

"Didn't know you were coming over."

Nicole shrugged her shoulders and smiled.  "I was on this side of town and thought I would drop by."

"Coping my ways, hm?"  Chris teased.  A couple of times, either he was by where she worked around her lunch time or by her place at night or weekend, he would stop by.  "Come play."  He motioned with his head toward the hoop.  Nicole's eyes followed his movement before letting out a soft chuckle.

"Uh no thanks.  You go knock yourself out."

"Come on."  He nudged her.  "It doesn't bite."

"I can't play."  Nicole told him.

Chris rolled his eyes and let out a snort.  "Anyone can play basketball.  It's either your good or bad at it."

"And I would be in the bad category.  I've never played before."

"There are always first times for everything."  Chris took her hand and pulled her towards the hoop.  "It's not hard.  I'll teach you."

Nicole sighed, giving up the argument and went with him.  Her eyes looked at the ball in his hands than in the direction of the hoop.  "It looks much shorter farther away."

Chris chuckled and passed the ball lightly her way.  Nicole promptly positioned her hands in front of her and caught the ball, holding it between her hands.  She wiggled her fingers along the bumpy rubber and glanced over at Chris.  "Okay, now what?"

"You shoot the ball."  He plainly told her, crossing his arms over his chest.  He looked at her with a smile and motioned with his head toward the hoop.  "At the hoop."

Nicole looked down at the ball than back at the hoop.  "This is ridiculous.  I'm not going to make it in that hoop"

"Just try."  He nudged her with his elbow and took a step to the side.

Nicole let out a hearty sigh.  With both hands on the sides of the ball, she chucked it in the air, her right leg kicking out slightly up in the air behind her.  She watched it as it fell short of the hoop.  Nicole dropped her hands to her sides and gazed over at Chris.

Chris looked at her with amusement before letting out a laugh.  "Cute little leg thing you did there."

"I told you I wouldn't make it."

Chuckling, he jogged toward the ball and passed it to her.  "Alright, bend your legs a little."  He told her once he stood in front of her.  Nicole looked at him before bending her legs a tad and looked back up at him.

"Now put your arms up in a ninety degree angle.  Position your right hand on the back of the ball and your left hand other on the side."

Nicole looked down at the orange ball, uncertainty written on her face while she moved her hands around, trying to hold the ball the way he told her.  Grinning, Chris slipped behind her and positioned his hands over hers.  "Like this."  He moved her right hand behind the ball and shifted her left hand in a better arrangement on the side of the ball.  He bent his knees slightly behind her as to do the movements with her.  His grin became a little wider when her sweet aroma filled his nose.

"Okay," Chris started once he remembered what they were doing.  He moved one of his feet between hers and shifted her right foot so that they were shoulder-width apart.  "Keep your feet shoulder-width apart and parallel to one another."

"Now on the count of three, shoot in one fluid motion, straightening your knees and release the ball from your hands, flick your wrist, and aim for the hoop."  Chris replaced his hands over hers and looked at her.  His face inches from hers.  "Ready?"

"As ready as I will ever be."  Nicole replied; struggling to her eyes focused on the hoop in front of her and not the man behind her.

"Alright."  Chris moved his head beside her and Nicole felt his breath against her ear, sending shivers down her spin.  "One, two..."  Nicole bit on her bottom lip as she continued to concentrate on the hoop.  "Three."

Chris's arms mimicked with hers, watching the ball bounce off the rim and into the grass.

"Damnit!"

"Better than your first try."  Chris told her, looking over his shoulder while jogging toward where the ball laid.  "But do you comprehend what I was explaining to you?"

"Yeah."  Nicole caught the ball when he tossed it to her and she got back into the position.

"Raise your arms a little higher."  Chris told her and stood beside her.

Nicole nodded her head, moving her arms a bit high.  Taking a breath, she licked her lips and shot the ball again.  Her eyes traveled along with the soaring ball, breaking out into a big smile when it bounced on the rim and fell into the hoop.  "Yes!"  She looked over to Chris who had an identical smile as hers.  "I did it!"

"I told you that you could do it."  Chris picked up the rolling ball. "Watch out Orlando Magic."

Nicole rolled her eyes.  "Oh yeah, here I am Orlando Magic.  Making you lose one game at a time."

"Nah."  Chris cross dribbled the ball between his legs.  "You would just distract the team with that little leg kick you do."

"Shut up."  Nicole crossed her arms, a smirk printed on her lips.  "Leave it alone."

Chris stood in front of her as he dribbled the ball.  "Alright, now try and get past me."

"What?"  Nicole asked in skepticism after being handed the ball.  Chris smiled while spreading his legs and arms out, getting in a defense position.

"I said try and get around me and score."

"You're going to get the ball before it touches the ground!  This isn't fair."

"Life isn't fair, darling."  Chris winked at her.  "I'll give you some slack, how about that?"

"Fine."  Nicole dribbled the ball and looked around Chris.  She moved to the left and let out a groan when Chris followed her.  She groaned again when he did the same thing when she took a step to the right.  "I thought you were giving me slack!"

"I am."  Chris laughed.  "I can easily just take the ball right now, but I'm not."

"Wiseass."  Nicole mumbled under her breath.  Chris let out a chuckle, watching the wheels turn in her head on what to do.  Quickly, she moved to her right and Chris tried his best not to laugh when she doubled dribbled.  He watched as she tried her best to get around him.

Giving up, Nicole chucked the ball in the air.  Chris let out a laugh as the ball soared over the hoop.  He looked at her with an eyebrow raised, curious over her actions.  "Gave up?"

"Yes."  Nicole nodded her head, happy with her answer.

"Joey would finally win a game if he played against you."  Chris told her while picking up the ball.

"A five year old could probably beat me."  Nicole replied.

Chris tossed the ball in the air, caching it in his hands and stood in front of her.   "Don't they have miniature hoops for the kids?"

"Yeah.  We have one at my daycare outside."  Nicole leaned forward and swiftly snatched the basketball out of Chris's hands and threw it toward the hoop, missing it entirely once more.  "Damnit!"

Chris laughed as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders.  "I think you should just stick with your day job."

"How are you not cold?"  Nicole asked while pay no heed to his jab.  She wrapped her arm around his waist.  "You're just running around in a shirt and shorts while I'm here in a sweatshirt and pants, cold."

"It's not cold at all you wimp."  Chris looked over his shoulders and whistled.  "Come on Busta.  It's time to go inside."  He ran his hand up and down her arm while walking toward the glass door; Busta running in front of them.

"How was work?"  Chris asked while opening the glass door, letting her walk in before him.  After seeing Busta run in, he followed in suit and closed the door behind him.  "Good day?"

"Decent."  Nicole replied.  She slipped off her shoes and sat down on his couch, pulling one of her legs underneath her.  "How did the meeting go?"

"Good."  Chris picked up a blanket and tossed it her way.  "We are going back to the studio next week."

"Thanks."  Nicole unfolded the blanket and covered herself with it.  "That is what you guys wanted, right?"

Chris nodded his head than rolled his eyes after watching Busta jump up onto the couch and stationing himself on Nicole's lap.  Nicole giggled and started to rub the pugs head.

"Seriously, dog?  It's like you are in love with her or something."  Chris raised a brow when the dog rolled onto his back for Nicole to rub his stomach.  "Yep.  He is.  He thinks you are his girlfriend."

"Oh yeah because I'm so for bestiality."  She said sarcastically with a roll of her eyes.  "You're sick in the head."

"I'm not the one who has a dog that is in love with them."  Chris joked while taking a spot on the couch.  A smile grew on his face while he watched the two interact with each other.  He couldn't help the way he felt when he was around her.  The way she always smelt good, faint smell of vanilla mixed with her perfume or how her smile and laugh could light up the room instantaneous; and his favorite part of her, her eyes.  Her green eyes always sparkled like they had specks of gold in them.

She wasn't aware of the things she did to him.  Oh the things she did to him!  He couldn't breathe when her eyes would hold his, making his heart either to skip a beat or pound like he just ran a marathon.  How her skin was always soft, distribution shots of electricity throughout his body every time she touched him.  How she fit perfectly in his arms every time they hugged, comfortably tucked under his chin.  The way she always had a faint smell of vanilla no matter what she did; made his senses calm the instant it hit his nose.  Her hair was always soft and his fingers itched to run through them.

Out of the blue the talk he had with JC after the meeting flooded his mind.

**

"I think I'm falling for Nicole."  Chris confessed, mumbled the words together without taking a breath.  He rubbed his hand over the back of his neck and closed his eyes, afraid to see the reaction from friend.

"I know."

Chris's head jerked up and he looked over at JC.  JC sat there with a knowing smile on his face.

"What?  What do you mean that you knew?"

"We all know, Chris."  JC told him with a nod of his head.  "None of us were born yesterday.  Well, it took Joey a bit longer to figure it out but yeah."

Chris stared his friend in disbelief.  They knew but didn't say anything to him?

"From the way you look at her and talk about her, there is no way we couldn't put the pieces together.  You light up like a Christmas tree."  JC continued with a smirk tugging on his lips.  "We knew if we brought it up you would just shoot it down so we've been waiting for the day that you finally would confess about your feelings.  It's about damn time too."

Chris let out a breath he didn't know he was holding.  He leaned his head against the couch and rubbed his hands over his face.  "I don't know what to do, man."

"Well, what do you want?"

"What do you mean?"

JC looked over at Chris.  "Do you want to just stay as friends or do you want to be more?"

Chris started to pick at the imaginary string on his shorts.  "You make it sound so easy to do."

"Well it's up to you now." JC told him with a nod.  "I didn't say it was easy to do, but," JC shrugged his shoulders.  "Either you just push it to the side and have it drive you crazy or grow some balls and talk to her about it."

**

Chris looked at Nicole.  It's either now or never.  He wiped the palms of his hands on his basketball shorts.  Here goes nothing.

"What," Chris cleared his throat and licked his lips.  "What are you doing tomorrow night?"

"Nothing, why?"  Nicole asked.  She glanced up at him before looking back down at Busta.

"Would you like to go out to dinner with me?"

Nicole stopped rubbing the top of Busta's head and looked up at Chris.  Did he just..?  "Sure."

Chris looked up at her.  Slowly a smile appeared on his face.  "What is a good time to pick you up?"

"Seven?"

He winked at her as a boost of confidence hit him.  "It's a date."


You are always on my mind
You are always on my mind
Always on my mind

I always thought I could make it
Alone but you make it so hard to leave

End Notes:


Song Credit (The song singing in the car): 'Larger Than Life' by Backstreet Boys

Song Credit: ‘Always On My Mind' by Jon McLaughlin

Chapter 9 by WhiteSoxLuvr9

"Ms. Nicole!  Ms. Nicole!"

Nicole stopped picking up the crayons off the table from the art project they just finished doing and looked down at the little girl in blonde pigtails.  Nicole moved down so she was at eye level with the child.  "Yes Joyce?"

"Derek hit me!"

"Aw, did he now?"  Nicole asked softly, taking the arm Joyce was holding out.  "Right here?"

The little girl nodded her head and pointed by her elbow.  "He took my toy.  I said give it back and he hit me."

"Now that isn't nice."  Nicole rubbed over the sport the little girl pointed on her arm.  "Do you need me to kiss it and make it better?"  She asked with a small smirk.

Joyce nodded her head; her small blonde curls flutter around from the movement.  Amused how the line her own parents use to say to her every time she got hurt still worked, Nicole moved the little girls arm up and gave it a small kiss.  "Better?"  After getting a nod of approval and a smile, Nicole stood up and took her small hand into hers.  "Let's go talk to Derek."

After fixing the situation between Derek and Joyce, Derek apologizing and both playing together, Nicole jerked her head to look behind her when she heard a loud smack followed by cries.  Oh my god...Nicole jumped up and hurried to the other side of the room where the young boy laid.

"What happen?" Nicole franticly asked her helper, Jillian, and picked up boy in her arms.

"He tripped over Rachel's foot and lost his balance, nailing his head on the floor."  Jillian told her with a worried look.

Nicole let out a heavy sigh while swaying her body right to left.  She ran her hand up and down soothingly down the boys back.  Oh dear god don't be anything serious.  Nicole sympathetically prayed in her head.  "Can you fill out an accident report for me?  I'll go up front and get him a bag of ice."

"Top drawer?"  Jillian asked while making her way toward Nicole's desk.  Nicole nodded her head and pushed her back against her classroom glass door and started walking to the front.

"Its okay, Trevor."  Nicole cooed while rubbing his back when she heard him starting to calm down.  He placed her hand on the side of his head and winced when she already felt a lump appeared.

Cindy, the receptionist, looked up from her desk and frowned when she heard Trevor wails.  "What happen?"

"We had an accident.  Trevor fell and smacked his head hard against the tile floor.  Can you get us a bag of ice, please?"

Cindy nodded her head and walked into the office room that was behind her.  Nicole rocked her body back and forth while tenderly running her hand up and down Trevor's back.  She gave Cindy a smile and a nod when she appeared with a bag of ice wrapped with paper towels.  "Thanks."

"Okay," Nicole sat the bag of ice on the counter and carefully sat Trevor down next to it.  She carefully wiped the tear stains off his cheeks and poked his nose softly.  "We are going to do a test to make sure your not dying on me, okay?"  Nicole tilted her head sideways and gave Trevor a small smile.  After getting a small nod, Nicole held her arms out like she was holding a check board and a pen.

"First, you have a bump on your head, Mr. Trevor." Nicole shook her head and looked at him.  "Do you want to feel it?"

"Yeah."  Trevor said softly in-between his sniffles.

"We got to be careful okay?"  She took his tiny hand.  "If you hit it or push too hard it's going to hurt."  She placed his hand over the bump on the side of his head and made eye contact with him.  "Feel it?"  After getting a nod, she moved his hand back to his lap and positioned herself like she was holding the check board again.  No unusual eye movements or change in pupil size.  Nicole checked off in the invisible list in her head on seeing if he had a concussion.

"Wait," Nicole drawled out and quickly looked at Trevor with narrow eyes.  "Are you an alien?"

"No."  Trevor giggled.

"Okay.  Making sure that was just a bump and not growing another head."  Nicole made an imaginary check and looked back at Trevor.  "Are you seeing stars running around your head?"

Trevor laughed again.  "No stars."

"Good."  Nicole repeated her movements from before and looked back.  Nothing wrong with his speech.  "Last question.  Do you see any dinosaurs running around behind me?"

He let out a small squeal before breaking out into laughter.  "No!"

Nicole blew out an exaggerated breath and wiped the invisible sweat off her forehead.  "Good news, Trevor.  You are not dying.  You just have a booboo on your head and this ice," Nicole pointed to the bag beside him, "Will help it get better, okay?"

Nicole reached out and picked up the boy, resting him on her hip and gently placing the bag of ice over his bump.  "How about we ask Ms. Jillian to read a book to the whole class and you can sit on my lap while we have this bag of ice work its magic?"

"Okay."  Trevor agreed and laid his non-injured side on her shoulder.

"Say thank you to Mrs. Cindy for the bag of magic."  Nicole told him and twisted her body toward Cindy so Trevor can see her.

"Thank you Mrs. Cindy for bag of magic."

Looking at the clock, Nicole took a deep breath and started walking toward her classroom.  It's only ten o'clock and this has already happened.  This is going to be a long day.

~~~*~~~

Nicole applied mascara to her eyelashes before stepping back and looking at herself in the mirror later that night.  She ran her hands down the sides of her simple black and white polka dot dress that swished around her knees.

"Let's dance, let's shout.  Shake your body down to the ground.  Shake your body down to the ground."  Nicole sang along with her Michael Jackson CD that was playing in the mini stereo she had in her bathroom.  She continued to dance while singing the rest of the song.  Applying her lip gloss, she stood back before letting out a laugh after seeing her dance around in the mirror.

"I'm so ridiculous."

She looked over at her cell and picked it up after hearing a beep; alerting her she had a new text message.

I know you are about to go on your date so wanted to wish you a good luck and...wrap it before you whack it!  I'll be waiting for the detail call tomorrow! :)

Nicole laughed over Kara's text message and quickly typed a response.

First of all, that isn't going to happen...Are you calling me a whore?  Second, I'll call you tomorrow, don't worry.

She situated her cell back on the bathroom counter and ran her fingers threw her straight hair before blowing out the candle in front of her.  She took a deep breath and let it out leisurely.  The rest of her day seemed to run smoothly after the accident with Trevor and she couldn't have been any more pleased.  Nicole looked out her bathroom after she heard a knock on the front door.

Nicole ran her fingers through her hair as she walked toward her door, nervous butterflies fluttering around in her stomach like they won a championship game.  She bit on her bottom lip and opened the front door to see Chris standing there in a dark red button down shirt, black pants along with with a smile on his face.

"Hey." Nicole took a step to the side and opened the door wider for him to come in.  "I'm just about ready."

Chris stepped in and closed the door behind him.  "It's okay, take your time."

"You shouldn't ever tell a girl that."  Nicole laughed over her shoulder.  "Let me get my shoes and we can go."

Chris chuckled and leaned against the wall with his hands in his pockets.  He watched her disappear into her bedroom before his eyes started to wonder around her apartment.  His eyes looked over the place.  Her apartment looked just like it had been the past couple times he had been there; neat and organized.  There where red pillows on each end of her black couch in the company of candles throughout the place with pictures of her friends and family.  A smile always came to his lips when his eyes would fall on the hand drawn pictures that the kids in her class drew for her that where held up by magnets' up on her refrigerator.

Her place was just like her character; bubbly, organized, colorful and warm.  Chris straightened off the wall up when he saw her walking back into the room with heels now on her feet and a clutch in her hand.  "Ready?"

Nicole took one last look around her place before nodding her head.  "How are you?"  Nicole asked while locking her door after they walked out.  She glanced over at him before putting her keys into her clutch.

"I'm fine."  Chris opened the front door of the apartment complex.  "You?"

"Thanks."  She replied looking at him while they walked to his car.  "I'm doing well.  Finally got another teacher aid, thank god."  He took his keys out of his pocket and unlocked his car before opening the passenger door for her.  After Nicole got in he closed the door and walked to the other side.  Hopping into the driver side, he placed his hand on the head rest of the passenger seat, giving her a quick glance before looking out of the back of his Escalade. 

"You look beautiful."  Chris admitted as he looked at her before pulling onto the streets.  He watched as the look of shock appeared on her face before washing away with a smile, her cheeks turning to a light shade of red.

"Thanks."  She twisted a piece of her hair between her fingers.  "So do you."  She smacked her forehead with her hand and closed her eyes.  "Not beautiful, I mean-."  Nicole groaned when she heard him laughing from across from her.  Chris watched as her face continued to get to a darker shade of red as she got more flustered.   "You're looking good also."

"Thank you.  I can't recall the last time someone called me beautiful."  He gave her a teasing grin.  "How was your day?"

Nicole blew out a breath.  Chris looked over her way.  "That bad?"

"I wouldn't really call it bad."

Chris grimace.  "Horrible?"

Nicole shook her head.  "No, it was all right after a serious accident.  One of the boys in my class, Trevor, fell and smacked his head onto the tile floor.  I was so terrified I couldn't stop shaking at first."

"Is he okay?"  He apprehensive asked.

She nodded her head and looked over at him.  "Just has a nasty booboo on his head."

Chris snickered over her choice of words and glanced at her.  "Booboo?"

Nicole covered her eyes with her hands while she laughed along with him.  "Sorry; work talk."

"It's okay.  It was cute."

"Oh whatever."  Nicole crossed her legs and tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear.  "How was your day?"

"It was good."  He leaned his elbow on the car door.  "Almost killed Jace though."

"Oh yeah!'  Nicole exclaimed as she sat up in her seat and looked at him.  "You guys were going back to the studio today.  Did you get a lot done?  Was everyone there?  How did it all go minus desiring to kill JC?"

"Jeez, what are you, Oprah?"  Chris teased with a smile as he pulled off the freeway.  "All the guys where there and it went fine besides wanting to kill Jace.  I swear the perfectionist thing is going to be the death of him one of these days.  Either it will kill him, or he will die in our hands for driving us insane."

"Nothing is wrong with being a perfectionist."  Nicole fought back with a smile.  "Just because we want everything to be just right isn't terrible."

"You," Chris looked over at her.  "Are nothing compare to his perfectionist.  You're going to have to come one time and you will see.  You could come over during your lunch hour since your daycare is about ten minutes from the studio."

"I can see it now," Nicole spread her arms out in front of her, "Hey Nicole, do you want to bring us some food since you're on your lunch break?"  She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye and he laughed.  He turned his head in the direction of her and grinned.  Nicole bit on her bottom lip when her body tingled by his smile.  She rubbed her hands together and looked back out the window in front of her to try and control herself, blush creeping upon her cheeks.

Chris's eyes slowly soaked in her presents when he knew she wasn't looking.  Playing tennis in High School sure did her body good.  Her long, toned legs on her 5'6" frame showed from the bottom of her dress with matching color heels on her pink painted toenails.  His eyes slowly traveled down the length of his legs and he could hear his heart pounding in his ears and his mouth running dry.  Come on, Chris.  He told himself as he drove into the restaurant parking lot. Concentrate.

Chris waited for Nicole to make her way around the car once he parked in the parking lot.  He smirked when he saw her eyes light up after reading the name of the restaurant; Cheesecake Factory.  She looked at him as the two were making their way to the doors.  "You remembered that I love this place."

Chris tapped the side of his head with his index finger before holding the door for her.  "I have a good memory."  He positioned his hand on her lower back and guided her into the restaurant.  After giving a false name he had the reservations under, they followed the hostess to their table.  Chris pulled out her chair and pushed her in before sitting down on the other side of the table.  He glanced at her when he saw the look she was giving her.  "What?"

"Nice name."  She said referring putting the reservation under Johnny Wright's name.  Chris chuckled and shrugged his shoulders.  He held the laminated menu between his fingers.

"Don't want to take any chances."  Chris winked at her over the top of the menu and started to read it.  "I don't know why I am going to ask this, but do you know what you are getting?"  He asked after they ordered drinks few minutes later.

"Mhm.  Bistro Shrimp Pasta.  I can feel my mouth watering."  She replied dreamily.

Chris gradually laid his menu on the table, his eyes staying connected with hers the whole time.  "You really have an issue with your love for pasta."

"If pasta was a man," Nicole sighed and leaned back in her chair, "Whew; match made in heaven."  She gave him an innocent smile.

Chris shook his head and chuckled.  "You're shameless."

"I know."  She sat up in her chair.  "Know what you're going to get?"

"I'm thinking of the Cajun Jambalaya Pasta.  It looks good."

"Oh it is."

He crossed his arms over his chest and looked at her with a brow raised.  "Is there something on the menu on the pasta side that you haven't tried?"

Nicole opened up her menu and read down the pasta list. "Mmm..."  She clicked her tongue while running her finger down the menu.  Chris sat back in his chair with a look of amusement on his face while he watched her.  He couldn't help but noticed how cute she looked; her eyes moving left to right along with her finger while her bottom lip was held between her teeth.  "Just the Louisiana Chicken Pasta."

"One?"  Chris questioned her.  "Out of all the pasta dishes, just one?"

"It's new...Hey!"  Nicole reached over and smacked his arm when he started to laugh at her.  "You think I'm crazy over pasta, wait till you see my love for cheesecake."

"Oh I already know your love for cheesecake.  You almost killed Joey when he stole your piece.  I dunno which love is worse."

"I was the last piece!  He snoozed he lose.  Not my fault I beat him to the punch."  Nicole rolled her eyes and smiled.  "And this coming from the Mexican food lover."

Chris clasped his hands together on the table.  "That is nothing compare to your love for pasta, cheesecake or," He paused dramatically, "Ice cream."  He pointed his index finger at her.  "Don't even try darlin'."

"Mm, don't try what?"  Nicole said softly, a sultry smile on her face in the company of her chin resting on the palm of her hand.  He slowly swallowed the lump in his throat and fought to keep his gaze off her lips.  He blew out a breath and sat up in his chair when the waiter came to the table.  Save by the waiter.  Chris told himself before giving out his and Nicole's order to the man.

"So," Nicole said, bringing Chris's eyes back to her attention.  "Tell me about your next CD."

Chris sat back in his seat and began telling her about the CD him and the guys were working on.  He explained everything that had to be done, the songs they picked, the theme and how everything worked.  It amazed him that she actually wanted to know the whole ordeal.  Usually it was whoever he was on the date with talk non-stop about themselves; which mostly ended up that they were an aspired model, dancer or singer.  Nicole's eyes sparkled with curiosity while his past dates shone with dollar signs.

Yet, here he was talking about the one thing he had the most passion about, his job, his life, and Nicole sat there listening to every word he was saying with interest.  They had talk about what he did for a living but not to this much of depth.  Soon the conversation drifted off to everything and anything from stupid stories they both have done to what their plans were doing next week for Thanksgiving.  Nicole explained how she was going with her father to Georgia, like every year, to visit the family while Chris was staying in Florida since his mother and sisters moved down to live closer to him couple years ago.

After the food was served he once again he found himself staring at her.   He licked his lips as her lips pressed against her wine glass as she took a sip, wondering how it would feel to have her lips pressed against his.  Her eyes met his again and he felt a leisurely smile spread across his face.  He watched as a blush crept across her cheeks again and dropped her eyes back down on her food.

After eating a slice of cheesecake after dinner, Chris paid the bill and boldly took Nicole's hand in his.  His eyes dropped to their hands, fingers intertwined with each other, and he wondered if she felt the spark also.  He held onto her hand protectively as he lead the way around the other tables in the restaurant.  He couldn't help the grin that appeared on his face from her smooth skin making contact with his.  Her small hand felt perfect in his like it was the missing puzzle piece of the riddle to make it complete.

He opened the door with his other hand over her head and moved to the side, refusing to let go of her hand.  He watched her bit her bottom lip and walked under his outstretched arm before he walked out behind her and appearing back to her side.

Once helping her into his car, his hand that once held hers felt cold and empty without hers.  He got into the driver side and backed out, glancing at her with a grin before driving back on the road.  The need of feeling her skin against his grew greater and he couldn't hold back any longer.  He reached over the center console of his car and took her hand in his again and gave it a gentle squeeze.  His hand rest casually on her thigh while his thumb gazed across her knuckles tenderly.

"So you and your father are going with your cousin and her family to Georgia?"  Chris asked when they brought up next week.

"No," Nicole replied with a shake of her head.  "My cousin, her husband and their daughter are going up tomorrow.  My dad and I are going up on Monday morning because he has a case tomorrow.  On Friday we are coming back on the same plane with my cousin and her family."

"Ah."  Chris checked his blind spot before switching lanes.  "Got it now.  This cousin is...Kate?"

"Mhm."  Nicole hummed in approval.  "Her daughter, Jessica, is four and has Asperger's."

"That's right.  It's all coming back to me now."  Chris said a couple minutes later once he remembered the conversation they had couple weeks ago about their family.  "Our biggest fan, correct?"  Chris asked her with a mischievous twinkle in his eye.  Nicole chuckled and lifted their hands that were intertwined up and back down once she crossed her legs.

"Oh god yes."  Nicole flattened her other hand against her forehead and let out a dramatic sigh.  "When she saw the picture of you, the guys, and I, she couldn't stop looking at it and repeating the words ‘NSYNC' a million times.  I'm use to her repeating things over many times because that's a symptom of Asperger's but," Nicole shook her head and laughed, "She was in complete shock that I knew you guys and made me promise to let her meet you all one day.  Good thing I like your music," She grinned at him, "Or I would have died that Saturday because that was the only thing she would listen to for the rest of the day."

"Well look at us," Chris puffed out his chest and smiled at her, "Who wouldn't want to listen to us all day?"

"Oh brother."  Nicole mumbled and smacked her free hand against his chest.  "Lower the ego there buddy.  Gosh, you sell a thousand of CD's on one day and,"

"Ahem," Chris interrupted her.  "It was more than a thousand on the day the last CD came out.  We sold--"

"That's beside the point!"  Nicole laughed and took her turn to interrupt him this time.  "Just...just...Shut up!"

Chris looked at her with an amused look on his face before he started laughing.  "Nice, Nicole.  Is that what you tell your kids?"

"No."  Nicole groaned.  She stared at him with narrow eyes, fighting hard to keep a serious look on her face while Chris smiled broad at her.  She quickly turned her head to look at the front in front of her to try and keep herself content and not break her wall in front of him.

"Let it out."  Chris sang.  "You know you want to."

"Do not."  She replied and bit on her bottom lip.  She fought back the sigh that wanted to escape from her lips when she heard him sing.  She loved all the guys singing voices but it was something about Chris's that would make her melt the instant he would start singing.  Even if it was just one word, her body would tingle and a smile would appear on her face.

He tugged on her arm slightly, moving it over to his lap and resting their hands on his thigh.  "You know you want to.  I see the laughter in your eyes, come on."  Chris taunted her, tugging on her arm more.  "Everyone is doing it."

Nicole lost the battle and started laughing after the last line.  Chris smiled in victory before laughing with her.  Nicole tilted her head back against the headrest and continued to giggle.

"Really?"  She asked when she started to calm down.  "Everyone is doing it?  That's the best you got hotshot?"

Chris shrugged nonchalantly and glanced at her out of the corner of his eye.  "It got you to laugh, didn't it?"

"Because it was stupid."  Nicole replied in an obvious tone.  She turned toward his way when she heard him gasp dramatically, looking at her with a hurt look on his face.

"It was stupid?  You just hurt my feelings!"

"Oh brother."  Nicole rolled her eyes and giggled.  "Just drive you nutcase."

~~

Nicole let go of Chris's hand took her keys out of her clutch once they got to her apartment ten minutes later.  She turned around and looked up at him when they got to her apartment door.  "Thank you for tonight, Chris.  I had fun."

"So did I."  Chris brushed her hair with his fingers and tucked it behind her ear.  "Have fun seeing your family next week."

Nicole's eyes followed the movement of his fingers than looked into his eyes.  She nodded her head and smiled a little.  "I will.  Have fun with your family also."

Chris looked into her eyes for a moment before he brought both of his hands up to frame her face.  His thumbs stroked her cheeks tenderly and lowered his head while tilting her head up slightly, pressing his lips against hers.  Before Nicole could open her eyes when she felt his lips part from hers seconds later, she felt his lips back on hers, kissing her again.  Nicole wrapped her hands around his wrists when she kissed him back.

When the kiss ended, he pulled back enough to look into her green eyes.  When she opened her eyes he saw the shock look on her face slowly melt away to no emotion.  Chris felt himself start to panic inside.  Fuck.

"I'm really sorry for just kissing you like that."  He started after taking a ragged breath.  "I shouldn't have done that.  You didn't give me any indication that you even wanted to be kissed." Chris rubbed the back of his neck while his eyes focused on his shoes.

"I liked the kiss."  Nicole revealed.  He looked up with raised eyebrows and watched her face turn to a shade of crimson red.  "I uh mean it was nice and I enjoyed it and I'm going to stop talking now."  Nicole rambled, swallowing hard.

"So you liked it, hm?"  Chris asked with a teasing sparkling in his eye and a grin on his lips.

Nicole rolled her eyes while biting on her bottom lip.  She fought with all her might to keep a straight face.  "Don't be so full of yourself, Mr. Popstar."

"So," Chris took a step towards her, his eyes holding hers, "What would you do if I kissed you again?"  He asked in a whisper.  He watched her breathing quicken a bit and run her tongue along her lips.

"I dunno, maybe you should try it and see what happens?"  She replied boldly with a smile.

Chris raised his arms, cupping her face with his hands and tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear before he brought his lips towards hers again.  Nicole placed her hands against his chest while they continued to kiss.  He moved his hand to the back of her neck, holding her close while he nipped at her lips, tasting her mouth.  Their lips moved slow and gradual against each other's in perfect rhythm.  Chris pulled away from the heated kiss and rested his forehead against Nicole's; both of their lungs burning in need for oxygen.

"Let me know when you land on Monday so that I know you got there safe."  Chris said quietly, lifting her chin up with his finger so that her eyes would once again meet his.  Nicole responded with a soft nod before feeling his lips press against hers softly.  "Goodnight."  He stroked her cheek with one hand, running his thumb along her bottom lip.

"Night."

A smile tugged at her lips while she watched him walk down the hall.  She couldn't help the small giggle that escaped from when he looked over his shoulder at her one last time before walking out and giving her a wink.  Sighing, Nicole unlocked her door and walked in.  She leaned her back against the closed door and brought her hands up to her chest.

"I'm in so much trouble."  Nicole said to herself with a smile.  "Oh so much trouble."

 

I know romes still burning
Though the times have changed
This world keepd turning round and round and round and round
These days

End Notes:

 

Song Credits : "These Days" by Bon Jovi

Chapter 10 by WhiteSoxLuvr9
Author's Notes:

I know...It's been..forever since I updated.  My bad!  Filled with being sick, school - which I swear is trying to kill me!  Slowly but surely! -...football starting (Go Chicago Bears! haha) and now possible having surgery within the next couple weeks to have my gallbladder removed...Life hasn't paused for me to breathe!  Finally my head has been cleared and drugged free (from medications, loves!  Wipe that thought out of your head! haha)  I was able to actaully sit still and force myself to update.  I swear the next update will not be as long as this.  Forgive me! :)

 

Drinking wine and thinking bliss is on the other side of this
I just need a compass and a willing accomplice
All my doubts that fill my head are skidding up and down again
Up and down and 'round again, down and up and 'round again

Nicole smiled at her cousin as she took the seat next to her on the patio at her Grandparent's house in Georgia early Monday afternoon.  Instantly she blew out a breath and rubbed her cheek.  "If someone pinches my cheeks one more time I think my skin is going to fall off or I will scream.  One or the other."

Her cousin, Sasha, laughed seated in the seat beside her.  "Got attacked by Grams and Aunt Mary?"

Nicole nodded her head and watched the younger children run around in the backyard in front of her.  She slid down in her seat slightly and crossed her legs as she relaxed.  The next five days she will be in Georgia visiting family for Thanksgiving.  It was a trip that her and her father made every year around Thanksgiving since everyone lived back in Georgia beside them and her other cousin, Katie and her husband.

"Where is Katie?"  Nicole asked about Sasha's sister.

"Grams asked if she could run to the store for her to get something."  Sasha replied.  Both of them jerked their heads back to the backyard when they heard Sasha's daughter, Annie, squealed Nicole's name.  Nicole smiled and uncrossed her legs, outstretching her arms as she watched the little girl run towards her.

"Hey munchkin."  Nicole greeted the small brown hair girl, hugging her tightly to her body.  "Look at you!"  Nicole exclaimed as she held back the child and looked at her.  "You have grown up so much since I saw you last year, oh my!"

"I'm a big girl."  The five year old told her with a nod.  "You look the same to me, Auntie."

Nicole chuckled and pulled Annie into another hug.  Nicole grew up without any siblings but since the age of five Nicole and her cousins, Sasha and Katie, had a bond like no other.  Sure they got along with their other cousins but it was nothing compare to what they had.  Nicole looked to them as sisters that she never had, besides Kara, while Sasha and Katie thought of the same.  Both Katie and Sasha were married; each had their own daughters who would call Nicole as their Aunt.

"Really?"  Nicole asked with shock.  "No winkles?  No gray hairs?  I look the same?"

"No!"  The little girl giggled.  "You're not old like Granny!"

"Annie!"  Sasha cried out in shock.

Nicole tried to hold back the laughter that wanted to come out while she covered Annie's mouth with her hand. "Sh, don't say that out loud.  Don't let Granny hear you say that, it's not nice."

"Me sorry."  Annie apologized with a pout.  The little girl looked down at her swinging feet before looking back up at Nicole with her big blue eyes.  Nicole smirked at the pout the girl was giving her.  She knew that pout way to well; the same one she use to do when she was younger to steer out of trouble and get whatever she wanted.  It always worked and now she was a victim of the famous pout.

"Its okay sweetie, just don't say it again."  Nicole kissed Annie's forehead and looked back at the young girl sitting on her lap.  "Your Mommy told me you've been doing well in school and that you like your teacher."

Nicole sat back in her seat while she listened to Annie talk her about her teacher and new friends.  She smiled while running her hand through the young girls' hair nodding her head once in a while she listened to the many stories she was being told.

"I think David likes you."  Nicole said after listening to the story Annie told her about what David would do to her.  "That's how boys act when they are younger when they like someone."

"Eww!"  Annie face twisted to a look of disgust.  "Boys are icky!"

"Your Daddy is a boy."  Nicole pointed out as she tried not to laugh at the little girls' reaction.

"Daddy is not a boy."  Annie looked at Nicole as if she was crazy.  "Daddy is a Daddy, not a boy."

"Sorry."  Nicole held her one hand up in surrender.  "My bad."  She carefully placed Annie on her feet.  "Go run around and play, knucklehead."

"She is still chatty-kathy."  Nicole commented once the little girl was out of ear shot.

"Tell me about it."  Sasha mumbled under her breath as she watched her daughter run around in the yard in front of them with the other family members.  "I've punish Scott by leaving those two in the room alone."

Nicole covered her mouth with her hand and tried to hold back the laughter.  "You're horrible."

Sasha shrugged her shoulders all along smiling.  "I know but speaking of horrible," Sasha started to say as she changed the topic, "My dear ol' sister informed me or a situation that someone forgotten to tell me about."

Nicole lifted her legs and pressed her heels against the edge of her chair as she wrapped her arms around her knees that were now pressed against her chest.  "Hm?"

"About a certain boy?"  Nicole turned her head to look at her cousin when she heard the mischievous tone in Sasha's voice.  "A famous boy to be exact.  A popstar?"

"What about it?"  Nicole responded as it if was nothing.  She bit on her inner check when she saw the slight frustrated look on her cousin's face.

"Is there a reason you didn't tell your favorite cousin about this?"

Nicole let out a laugh and quickly covered her mouth with her hand.  "Favorite cousin?  Very interesting choice of words you picked there."

Sasha waved her off with her hand and leaned closer toward her.  "Don't beat around the bush.  Speak."

Nicole shrugged her shoulders as she rested her chin on the top of her knee.  "It's nothing right now."

"Is that what he said after shoving his tongue down your throat?"

Nicole's neck snapped in a quick movement, her jaw slightly gaped open.  "He didn't shove his tongue down my throat!"  Nicole hissed softly, looking around them hastily to make sure no one was by to hear their conversation.

Sasha sat back in her chair, a brow raised with her arms crossed over chest.  "But there was tongue."

Nicole continued to hold Sasha's gaze before looking back at the yard in front of her.  "You make it sound like we were ravishing each other in front of my door."

"Okay sorry."  Sasha words dripped with sarcasm.  After moving her chair closer to Nicole's, she positioned her elbow on the table and held her chin in her hand.  "So," Sasha nudged her shoulder against Nicole's, "How was it?"

"You are twenty nine years old and you are giggling like a teenage in high school over a kiss?"  Nicole mocked.

"I only get to kiss one guy for the rest of my life."  Sasha shrugged her shoulders, smirking the whole time.  "Scott is a great kisser but you get to kiss how many guys you want and whoever you want.   I need to gush with someone over these things.  My daughter is too young."

Nicole buried her face into her arms as she let the laughter take over her body.  "Does Scott know about this?"

"What he doesn't know won't hurt him.  Now, come on, give your cousin some scoop.  How is he?"

"He's...."  Nicole positioned her chin back on her knees, her eyes looking down at the grass that started inches away from the patio she was on.  "Good."  Nicole admitted seconds later with a dreamy sigh.  "Damn good."

"Oh really now?"

Nicole nodded her head.  "He has these full, soft lips."  Nicole pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as the memories of the kiss flooded her head; feeling his lips against hers.  "I've kissed a lot of guys and...Oh!"  Nicole paused with a laugh.  "That just came out wrong and made me sound like a whore."  Nicole and Sasha laughed.  "But none have been like this."  Nicole continued, a smile taking over her face.  "It was like...you know how in movies everything just seemed to stop?  Everything around you is a blur?  That whole...amazing feeling."

Sasha nodded her head, glancing in the direction of her daughter before looking back at Nicole.  "Toe curling, your blood instantly becomes warm yet still shivers run all the way through your body causing your brain to turn to mush and leaves you speechless; that feeling?"

Nicole sighed softly with a smile among her face.  "You hit it right on the nose."

"Oh boy."  Was Sasha's response.  Inquiry from her cousin's response, Nicole turned her head and looked dead on at Sasha.  "Nothing."  Sasha waved her off.  "Go on."

"No, what was the whole ‘oh boy' about?"

"Just dreaming."  Sasha half lied and sat back in her seat.  "So my cousin went on a date and kissed a famous popstar.  I guess I should get their CD's and start to educate myself so I know who you are dealing with."

"Oh dear god."  Nicole groaned and rubbed her face with her hands.  "Don't start being like Kara."

Sasha laughed at the mention of Nicole's best friend who she had met many times.  Everyone in the family knew Kara.  She had become "part of the family" and came to many family events in the past.  Kara introduced them as "her other family" to Taylor when she brought him with her one year.  "How is she these days?  Picked a date for the wedding yet?"

"Still crazy ass Kara."  Nicole chuckled.  "She hasn't changed since you saw her last year and no they haven't.  They are hoping to pick the date this week after talking to the family."

"Mmm."  Sasha hummed with a nod of her head.  "Have you and Chris talked since the date?"

Nicole nodded her head.  "After he dropped me off, he texted me saying he had a great time and can't wait to do it again as well as reminding me to call him after I landed in Georgia."

"And did you?"

"Did I want?"  Nicole questioned with a brow raised.

"Call him after you land."  Sasha rolled her eyes.  "God, sometimes I think you should have been born with blonde hair."

Nicole let out a small snort over her cousin's jab.  "Yeah I did.  I said I would...what?"  She asked when she saw the look on her cousin's face.  "What the hell is going on in that head of yours?"

"You don't want to know."  Sasha's husband, Tom, remarked when he walked pasted them.  Nicole chuckled while Sasha scoffed at her husband and shoved him away.

"I'm selling him."  Sasha told her while she watched him walk away laughing.  "Cheap price since you're family.  Would you like to purchase him?"

"He doesn't have any tattoos.  It wouldn't work."  Nicole joked.

"You and your tattoos."  Sasha shook her head.  "Does Chris have tattoos?"

Nicole sighed dreamily, sitting back in her seat and started to fan herself with her hand.  "Oh boy yes he does.  You should see him in red or black; especially in sleeveless tops.  Whew."

"Do you need to excuse yourself to the bathroom for a bit?"  Sasha teased over Nicole's actions.  "I'll tell everyone you were getting all...hot and not feeling good when they are wondering where you have been for a while."

Nicole laughed, smacking her cousin's arm in the process.  "Shut it."

They both sat in complete silence once their laughter concluded, minus the laughter and yells from the young children running around in front of them.  Sasha leaned back slightly, her eyes carefully studying her cousin.  Nicole had come a long way from everything that happened in the past couple years.  Sasha couldn't help but notice the certain kind of smile that appeared on her cousin's face when they talked about Chris.  Sasha knew that smile; the same one that would appear on her face when she would talk about her husband.

Even though Nicole made it sound like it was nothing between the two; she knew her cousin better than that.  With her flirtatious personality and charm mix with her crazy side was a dangerous mix, but she didn't mess around when it came to relationships.  Her cousin was finally letting down her walls that she built up years ago and Sasha couldn't control the happiness that filled inside of her.  Finally.


~*~*~*~

Nicole pulled her cell out of her sweatshirt pocket when she felt it vibrate against her as she sat on the couch with some of her family member on Thursday night watching TV.  She leaned back against the couch flipping her cell open; a small smile came on her face when she saw who it was from.

I know it's late, don't sue me!  But Happy Thanksgiving!  Hope you had a great day.

Her smile never left her lips as she typed a response back.

Better late than never...I guess I won't sue you, this time.  I had a good day, just ate like a cow...Cross that out, I ate like a turkey!

Nicole giggled softly over her own joke before stuffing her cell back into her sweatshirt pocket.  Seconds later she felt her phone vibrating again yet longer than before.  Taking note that it was a call, she pulled it out and bit on her bottom lip when she saw his name flashing over her screen.  After motioning to her cousin she was going out back to take the call, she slipped on her shoes and took a step onto the pouch, letting the cool air hit her as she pressed her cell against her ear.

"Hey."

"Ate like a turkey?!"  Chris laughter rang though her ears and she couldn't help the shiver than ran down her spine.  "That was a good one, I'll admit.  Never thought of that to say on Thanksgiving."

"Thank you."  Nicole chuckled along with him before taking a seat on the tire swing her grandparent's had in their backyard.  "I'm quite proud of myself on that one also."

"And you say I have an ego problem?  Girlllll."  He drawled out.

"You do."  Nicole pointed out with a laugh.  "Not as bad as Justin's."

"That is," Chris started than paused.  Nicole raised a brow, the toe of her gym shoe digging into the soft dirt underneath her stopped abruptly when she heard him sniff over the line, his voice filled with emotion as he continued, "The sweetest thing anyone as ever said to me."

"Oh brother." Nicole muttered with an eye roll over his dramatics.  "Save it."

~~~

"I'll remember that next time you need something" Chris teased, gripping his phone to his ear.  His head dropped back; hitting the pillow on his bed.  "Are you having a good trip?"

"Yeah.  It's good to see the family again, but I can't wait to go home.  If I have to get my cheeks pinched one more time..."

Chris laughed.  "I'm glad no one in my family does that."

"Lucky bastard."  She mumbled.

"I know."  He said matter-factly.  A smirk appeared on his face as he could picture her rolling her eyes on the other side of the phone when he heard her mumble something incoherently under her breath.  "What was that my dear?  I couldn't understand a word you said."

"Oh nothing, my dear."  She said in an innocent and mocking tone.  "How has your week been with your family?"

"Fun.  My sisters and I stayed up all last night eating junk and watching movies."  He scratched his ear before tucking his free arm behind his head and crossed his ankles.  He looked down at his toes.  "And they painted my toe nails."

***

"Can we paint your toes, Chrissy?"

Chris choked on the green M&M he put in his mouth moments ago and jerked his head to look at his sister.  "What?"

"Can we paint your toes nails?"  His sister Taylor repeated, pulling herself up on her knees and looking at her brother.

"I don't think you should eat any more candy."  Chris responded as he pulled the bowl of M&M's away from his sister.  "It's making you think of crazy ideas in that little head of yours."

"Please Chris."  His other sister, Molly, whined, soon joined in by his other sisters Kate and Emily.  Quickly Chris covered his ears with his hands to try and block out his sister's whines.

"Please Chrissy."  Emily begged as she crawled onto her brothers' lap.  Chris opened his eyes and narrowed his eyes at her when he saw the pouty look on her face.  Soon the rest of her sister's heads appeared in his view, all with pouty looks on their faces also.  Seconds later he moved his hands away from his ears and let out a deep sigh.

"Fine."

Chris rolled his eyes, biting on his bottom lip to hide the smile that fought to appear on his face when he heard the collection of cheers, his face being attacked by their sloppy kisses.  "Just no bright colors!"

***

Chris lifted his foot in the air and wiggled his toes, admiring the now pink nail polish that was on his toenails while Nicole laughed over the line.  He loved his sisters to death and he would do whatever he could to make them happy, even if it was to cross over the muscular line.  The smile on their faces once he caved in was worth it.

"What color?"  Nicole asked after taking a deep breath.

"Pink."

"Mmm."  Nicole hummed.  "Very manly."

"I know."  Chris smirked and placed his foot back down on the bed.  "You're jealous, I know."

Nicole laughed.  "Why would I be jealous when we both have pink painted toes?"

Chris smiled and slid his arm back under his head.  "Mine are prettier."

"Oh we will see when I get back.  Bring it on."

"Oh it's on.  It's on like King Kong."  Chris fought back with a smile.  "You will be back Saturday afternoon, correct?"

"Mhm.  Around three I should land and Kara is picking my dad and I up."

"Okay."  Chris looked down at his shirt and started to pick at it with his fingers.  "Want to do something Sunday?"

"Afternoon or night?"  Nicole asked.

Chris stopped his movements of picking at his shirt.  "Whenever is best for you.  I'm not doing anything that day."

"Anytime is fine.  All I had planned was being a lazy bum that day."  She responded.

Chris dropped his hand on his stomach and closed his eyes.  "We can just bum around, eat and watch movies.  I have no problem doing that."

"Ah, sounds like an ideal date to me!  I'm in!"

Chris smiled and slid his arm back under his head.  "Then it's set.  Pick you up around four?"

"Sounds perfect to me.  Any snacks or movies to bring?"

"Don't worry about that.  Just bring your fine self and that's it."  He covered his mouth to prevent a yawn and looked over at the clock.  "It's late; I should let you go to bed.  I got a date with my sisters with the pool tomorrow."

"You're going to need all the energy you can get, old man."  Nicole teased.
"Watch it!"  Chris warned with a grin.  "I'll try and trick you into eating BBQ flavor chips on Sunday."

"Okay!  Okay!"  Nicole exclaimed with a laugh.  "I'm sorry.  Please, not the disgusting chips!  Anything but those!  I'm sorry!"

"I'll forgive you this time, missy.  I'll see you Sunday.  Have a good trip.  Text me when you land so I know you got here safely."

"I will.  Have fun with your family.  Goodnight, Chris."

"Goodnight Nicole."

Shutting his cell, he placed it on his nightstand beside his bed and shut off the lamp.  Rolling onto his side, he pumped his fist in the air slightly and pulled the blankets up to his neck.  "Situated date number two.  I'm not called Lucky for nothing."




And you can see my heart beating
You can see it through my chest

End Notes:

 

Song Credits:

(Lyrics in the beginning) Crystal Ball by P!nk

and

(Lyrics at the end) Russian Roulette by Rihanna

Chapter 11 by WhiteSoxLuvr9
Author's Notes:

I dunno how long till the next update will be because I got diagnosed with Gallbladder Disease and having surgery this Friday to have it removed.  As soon as I'm healthy again, I'll be back! :)

 

 

"Sooo...how was life without me for the week?" Chris asked as he pulled onto the highway Sunday afternoon after picking up Nicole up from her apartment.

She smiled, looking at him quickly before looking out the window. "It was okay."

His eyes widened and glanced at her out of the corner of his eye. "Just okay?"

"It was fine."  Nicole replied with a shrugged, chewing on her bottom lip to keep a straight face.  She kept her eyes on the road in front of her with her hands on her lap, clasped together.

"Just fine?"

"Yep.  Most peaceful my life has been for the past coupled months."  Nicole responded with a smirk.  Her eyes took a quick glimpsed at him, his eyes narrowed into slits on his face, a brow raised as they sat at a stop light.  Turning her head she smiled brightly at him before breaking out into a fit of giggles.

"Okay okay, it was alright.  I somehow missed your crazy ass."  She admitted, blush taking over in her cheeks.

"That is what I like to hear!"  Chris proclaimed, puffing out his chest with a smile on his face.

Nicole rolled her eyes as his actions.  "Whoa there cowboy, control that ego of yours."

"Ahem, you mean space cowboy."

Nicole rolled her eyes at the reference of one of the songs on the last CD.  She shimmied down in her seat as she shoved her hands in her sweatshirt.  Even though the heat was on in his car after her protesting he had to put it on because of the cold weather outside, her body still tingled from the long embraced hug he gave her once she opened the door of her apartment.  She watched as he casually tapped his fingers against the steering wheel and bobbed his head to the music.  "Are we almost to Pizza Hut because I'm starving."

"Whine whine whine."  Chris mocked with a smile.  "That's all you women do...oof!"  He exclaimed after her hand smacked against his arm.  "Rude."  Chris rubbed the area she hit.

"Rude?"  Nicole sat up in her seat and looked at him resembling he was crazy.  "Do I have to remind you the women remark you just made?  Just because you are a pansy that a chick might bring the pizza to your house we have to go to Pizza Hut and get it..."

Chris laughed.  "Do I have to remind you what happen last time we had pizza delivered to my house?"  He interrupted her.

"But it was entertaining."  Nicole added with a laugh.  "I was getting ready for her to propose to you."

"I love my fans and all but..."  Chris paused when she started to laugh harder.  "Okay her stealing that plant pot by my front door was not that funny."  He eyed her out of the corner of his eye before letting out a groan when she laughed harder.

"Yes it was!"  Nicole sat up in her seat and took a deep breath to calm herself.  "Oh my gosh, when I was leaving and we both noticed it was gone.  Priceless!"

"You really need help."  Chris told her while he pulled into the Pizza Hut parking lot.  "Come on starving girl.  Let's get you some food so you don't pass out."

"Right, like you're not hungry."  Nicole hopped out of his car.  "I hope your plant stealer is here."

"Get in."  Chris told her while he held the door open for her.  "I hope not."  He added in a whisper.

"Wuss."  Nicole mumbled under her breath as she ducked under his arm and walked into the Pizza place.

"Watch it."  Chris pointed at her in warning.  She looked over her shoulder at him.  "I'll leave you out for them to eat you next time."

"There are four other guys who would save me."  Nicole smiled at him before leaning her hip against the counter top.  "And that isn't counting your body guards."

"Oh I'll do it without any of them there."  Chris winked at her before turning his attention to the man behind the counter.  "Hello, I have an order for pick up under the name, Mike Jones."

Raising his eyebrows, he turned his head slightly with an assumed look on his face when he heard a soft snort come from his side.  Nicole had her hand over her eyes as she shook her head slightly.

"Please excuse her."  Chris told the man behind the register.  "She hasn't taken her special pills yet, have you hunny?"  He rubbed Nicole's arm and smiled.  "Don't worry.  Once we get home we'll get them out so you can take them with food and not have to go back to the padded room."  He leaned over and gave her a big sloppy kiss on her cheek all while she stood there with her jaw half open.

"I'm going to kick your ass."  Nicole warned him under her breath once the man gave Chris his change back and went to get their pizza.  "Plant girl is the least of your worries."

"I'll be waiting dear."  Chris told her with a smirk.  "Bring it."

 

~

"I still hate you."  Nicole told him after plopping onto his couch when they got to his place.  She glared at him once more, like she did almost the rest of the five minute drive back to his place.  Chris chuckled, setting the pizza box on the table in front of them and their cans of sodas.

"You should have seen your face."  He told her before setting himself beside her on the couch.  "I wish I had a camera."

She rolled her eyes as she wrapped herself up with a blanket.  "Seriously," Nicole said as she picked up a piece of sausage pizza, "Plant girl is the least of your worries."

"I'm still waiting for you to kick my ass."

"When you least expect it."  She pointed her slice of pizza at him.  "Watch your back."

"I'll be waiting."

"Mhm."  She hummed as she took another bite.  She eyed him carefully as he took his sandals off besides hers and positioned his feet on the table, taking a big bite of his slice all while turning on the television.  Nicole positioned her foot up on the table in front of them and moved it so it was next his.  "Hmm..."  She hummed.  "Mine is still better."

"What?"  Chris looked away from the TV at her.

"My toes."  Nicole wiggled her toes.  "My pink is prettier than yours."

Confused, he looked toward their feet before letting out a laugh, forgetting that he was now supporting pink toes also.

"But mine looks better with my skin tone."

Nicole laughed as she shoved his shoulder and pulled her legs back underneath her as she positioned the blanket around her better.  "Sometimes you scare me."

"I'll lick your piece of pizza."

Nicole gasped, pulling herself away from him with her slice of pizza in her hand.  She looked down at her slice in her hand behind looking back up at him.  "You touch it, you die."

"Oh so scared."  Chris remarked sarcastically and rolled his eyes and took another bite of his slice of pizza.  "Can't you feel me shaking?"

"Oh knock it off.  Start the damn movie."  She told him after finishing her piece and wiping her hands off with her napkin.

"Someone is bossy today."

"Someone is grumpy today."  She mocked.

"I knew I should have picked a scary movie."  Chris teased as he pushed play.

"And scare me to death?  I think not."  She replied as she picked up another piece of pizza.  "You know you were having an Indiana Jones craving also."

"Because you kept quoting from the movies the whole time on the phone yesterday."

Nicole smiled at him before looking back at the TV once the movie, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, started.  When they agreed on having pizza and to watch a movie, he was afraid he would be sucked into watching some chick flick movie.  Yet, once again she surprised him and told him that she had been craving to watch any Indiana Jones movie and started quoting from the movies.

"Stop thinking."

Chris blinked, her voice pulling him out of his thoughts.  "Huh?"

"You're thinking to hard about something."  Nicole told him, her sparkling green eyes looking into his brown ones with her head tilted slightly.  She smiled softly and softly poked his bottom lip with her index finger.  "When you think to hard you stop chewing on your bottom lip."

His eyes trailed down to her finger that was on his bottom lip.  His eyes slowly followed up the length of her arm till they found her green eyes once more.  His eyes gazed into hers, both staring at each other as moments went by.  The movie flickered around them as they were lost into each other.  It wasn't until Chris turned his head and cleared his throat to bring to an end the gaze between them.

"Uh yeah, sorry.  Zoned out there for a second."  Chris turned his attention back to the movie on the television, ignoring the look of confusion on Nicole's face before she too went back to the movie.

He looked over at her out the corner of his eye, Busta jumping upon the couch and making himself comfortable on top of Nicole's lap.  Her hands instantly went to scratch him behind the ears while she chuckled along a witty line from the movie.  Busta quickly opened up to her, why couldn't he?

Because he likes anyone with hands.  Chris silently told himself and rolled his eyes.  His thoughts instantly left his head; becoming cloudy and disoriented when he felt her head rest against his shoulder.  He looked down at her before wrapping his arm around her shoulder.  A small smile formed on his face when he got a faint scent of her shampoo and perfume flooded his nose.  It was something about the aroma that instantly calmed him.  He couldn't get enough of it, enough of her witty comments, how she kept him on the balls of his feet - learning something new about her every day that surprised him.  They were right; never judge a book by its cover.  He reminding himself of the saying his mother told him many times in his life.

Half of him told him to take the step, starting dating again however his other half told him no and reminding him of the heartbreak Karen just put him through.  He slowly let out the breath he didn't' know he was holding and laid his head on top of hers.

He didn't know what to do anymore.

 

It's just like him
To wander off in the evergreen park
Slowly searching
For any sign of the ones he used to love
He says he's got nothing left to live for
And this time I think you'll know

You're not alone
There's more to this I know
You can make it out
You will live to tell

~~~

Chris shifted on the wooden stool he was sitting on as he listened carefully to the music flowing from the headphones over his ears.  It was another day in the studio as he sat in the sound room, the rest of the guys on the other side of the glass playing an intense game of Bullshit.  It was his turn to lay down his voice for the track The Game Is Over.  He sat up straight and took a deep a deep breath when he heard the music cords that came just before the chorus.

"You played yourself but did you, did you think that you could really find love from someone else.  You're making moves, you're gonna lose, you know, you played yourself.  And now you're thinkin', thinkin' you can get one by me but you'll never win, but you'll never win.  Try again, 'cause the game is over."

"Nice man."  Rich told him over the mic.  Chris opened his eyes to see Justin standing up and hovering over Rich to talk also.

"Yeah man.  Not bad for an old man."  Justin remarked with a teasing smile.

Chris pointed a finger at Justin before moving his thumb across his neck, hinting that he will kill him once he got out of the room.  "I'd watch myself baby J.  Your momma isn't here to save your ass once I get out."

"I'd be out of here before you and your cane make it through the door."  Justin teased back after putting his hands down to his sides.  "Do you need me to call the nursing home and let them know it's time for them to come get you?"

"That's it."  Chris took off the headphones and sat them on the stool he was once sitting on before he bolted out the door.  Justin let out a scream before he was tried to get away, losing once Chris got a hold of him and tossed him to the floor.  Lance quickly jumped up from the floor and to the couch before he got rolled over by the two wrestling on the floor.

"Go for the jugular!"  Joey chanted after placing his stack of cards on the table.  "Come on go go go!"

"Don't encourage them."  JC groaned.  He picked up his legs when Justin and Chris rolled over toward him.  Lance, JC and Joey winced when they saw them roll into the wall, profane words escaping from both mouths while they continued to wrestle along the floor.  Joey leaned over, his eyes gazing back and forth from Justin's card pile and him on the floor with Chris.  Slowly he leaned over and picked up Justin's cards.  He smiled, showing Lance and JC Justin's stack of cards before quickly putting them back down before Justin could catch him.

"Ow!  Fucker, you bit me!"

"You bit me first!  You're going to give me rabies!"

"Oh my god."  Lance moaned.  "Call Mike before they cause each other to bleed again."

"I'm good!"  Justin quickly jumped up with his hands in the air.  "No need to call Mike!"

"You are far from good, JuJu."  Chris muttered under his breath.  He pushed himself up from the floor and fixed his clothes.  Chris looked down at the table when he heard his phone vibrating against the wood.  Flipping it open he chuckled when he read the text he received.

Kill Me.

"Who is it?"  Justin asked Chris while he tried to look over his shoulder.

"Who are you, my mom?"  Chris jerked his body around so Justin couldn't see the screen.  He leaned his back against the wall and texted Nicole back.  He couldn't help but smirk about her over dramatics among wedding dress shopping with Kara.  She begged him all night on the phone to help her try to get out of it because Kara was picky about her dresses.  She told Chris over the phone that she contemplation about hanging herself last time they went dress shopping.

Than who will be Busta's girlfriend?  He would be so heartbroken.

"I bet its Nicole."

Chris's heard jerked up when he heard Joey's voice.  "How..?"

"You're face lights up like a damn Christmas tree when anything that has to do with her is brought up."

"Whatever man."  Chris muttered under his breath.  His cell vibrated in his hands and he clicked the new message box.

There are a couple females dog's in your neighborhood.  He'll find a replacement in a snap.  Kill. Me.

Chris jerked his hand away when Justin reached for his cell.  Quickly he lifted his leg up and pushed his foot against Justin's stomach to fight him off while he typed a response back to Nicole.

You just bought a whole container of Ice Cream.  You don't want to waste that now do you?

Chris laughed softly to himself.  He quickly looked up when he saw a quick movement out of the corner of his eye.  Swiftly, Chris jumped and ducked around Justin, trying to get out of Joey's arms length and slipped into the sound booth.  Smiling brightly that he won, he wiggled his cell phone in the air while sticking his tongue out.  He flipped his cell opened and signaled to the guys that she texted him back, holding his other hand underneath as if he was one of the girls on the show, The Price Is Right, before looking at what she said.

The things I do for Ice Cream.

Chris let out a laugh.  And anyways, Chris quickly texted while walking over to the stool, no other dogs will have your legs.

Chris shoved his cell in his pocket before looking up and seeing each other guys staring at him, singling death threats.  Innocently Chris waved at them before slipping the headphones over his head and giving Rich a thumbs up.

~~~

And anyways, no other dogs will have your legs.

Nicole snorted, fighting back the laugher, after reading the new text message she received from Chris.

"I don't see this dress being funny at all."

Nicole looked up at Kara, who was standing in a silky white wedding dress with her hands on her hips with an eye brow raised.

"Sorry."  Nicole dropped her cell in her purse.  "Ehh," Nicole bobbed her head back and forth while her eyes looked over her dress, "I'm not feeling it."

"That is what I just said before you started giggling over there.  Stop texting Chris and pay attention."

Nicole's eyes shot open and looked at Kara amazed.  "How did you...?"

Kara tapped the side of her head with her index finger and winked.  "I know you to well.  I'm going to try on another dress."

Nicole groaned, dropping her head on Sarah's' shoulder, Kara's mother, who was sitting next to her.  "What did we ever do to deserve this torture?"

Sara laughed and patted Nicole's arm.  Instantly Nicole wrapped both of her arms around Sarah's arm, closing her eyes and let out a sigh.  Sarah had always been another mother to her since she was little.  After her mother died, she would go to Sarah for motherly advice.  Just like her mother, Sarah would sit and listen to the whole story before putting her two cents in.  Sarah had always treated Nicole as if she was one of her own, another daughter.  Nicole always joked that she was Sarah's favorite daughter over Kara.

Nicole opened her eyes when she heard Kara shuffling into the room once again with the wedding store consultant behind her.

"I dunno why you keep going to the super white color ones; we all know you are far from innocent."  Nicole teased.

"Watch it."  Kara warned with a smirk.  She pointed a warning finger at Nicole through the mirror.  "My mother is here."

"Oh please," Nicole rolled her eyes and sat up in her seat, "Like she doesn't know?  Hello you two live together.  I find it very hard to believe that your mother thinks that you two sleep in separate beds."

"Kara sweetie, you have been far from innocent the day you were born."  Sarah pointed out with a chuckle.  "I still say the light cream color dresses look best with your skin."

"Thank you!"  Nicole exclaimed and tossed her hands in the air.  "How many times have I said that?  Nice to know that your mother is listening to me and not you, but," Nicole shrugged, "When do you ever listen to me?"

"After we are done here, I'm taking your ass down."  Kara threatened as she started walking out of the room.

"If I'm not dead by you torturing me like this!"

"That was my plan!"  Kara shouted out from behind the door.

"I expect a really good Maid of Honor gift!"  Nicole yelled back.

"You two are something else."  Sara remarked with a shake of her head.  "So, tell me more about this Chris guy."

"It's nothing."  Nicole examined her nails.  "We're...dating I guess?  It's only been two dates."

"Kara has told me that you two are quite cozy with each other."

Nicole stopped picking at her nails and looked at Sarah in question.  "You're daughter has the biggest mouth in the world."

Sarah chuckled.  "Tell me about it.  Well you know that boy needs to have mine and Henry's approval before anything."  Sara brought her hand up to her mouth and let out a soft gasp.  "Oh Kara!"

Nicole casually looked up and sat up in his chair slightly.  "Kara," Nicole whispered, "You look beautiful.  That's the dress!"  She sat back in awe as she watched her best friend stand before her in an off the shoulder soft cream color dress.  Out of all the dresses Kara tried on, she could see her walking down the aisle in this dress, leaving Taylor speechless.  It was the one.

Nicole smiled as she watched Sarah embrace her daughter, both of them in tears and it wasn't until than that she realized something.  She would never know how this moment would ever feel in her life.  She would never get to go wedding dress shopping with her own mother.  Nicole would never get to feel this moment ever.  She had always heard that this moment was always the most important and special part of the whole planning, and she would never get to experience it.

Slightly jealous and sad, Nicole quickly wiped the escaping tear and stood up to walk over to Kara.  At that moment she was silently thankfully that everyone else in the room was with tears so she would blend in and no one would notice the pain that was in her heart at the moment.

"I'm getting married!"  Kara squealed softly before wrapping her arms around her best friend.

"Scary thought, I know."  Nicole sniffed while she held her friend tighter.  "I'm so happy for you.  You're so lucky."

End Notes:

 

Song Credit: Saosin - You're Not Alone

Chapter 12 by WhiteSoxLuvr9
Author's Notes:

I know, I know..it's been forever...Please forgive me!  Life has been crazy the past year. Serious car accident that almost took my life, very bad illnesses, the boyfriend and stuff with that, work, it's just been crazy!...Hope you enjoy!  Reviews can make me smile :)

 

Chris watched her from the corner of his eye while they sat on her couch three days later.  He could tell something was bothering her for the past couple days.  She wasn't her bubbly self and cracking jokes. He could see straight through the fake smile she plastered on her face.  He hadn't seen the smile or laugh that use to light up the room along with the eyes that use to sparkle, were now dull.  He could see right through the "everything is fine" act she was putting up.  When they talked over the phone after she going wedding dress shopping with Kara he knew something was wrong.  She kept telling him she was fine, just tired, but he knew it was a lie.  She wasn't herself. He had enough.

Fed up with her act, he reached over and picked up the TV remote, flicking it off.  Nicole blinked in confusing before turning her head slightly to look at him.  "What the...?"

"Want to stop lying to me and tell me what is wrong?"

Nicole sighed, her eyes instantly dropping to the floor.  "I told you, nothing.  I'm just tired."

Chris turned his body slightly to look at her.  "Bullshit.  Did something happen while wedding dress shopping with Kara?"

"Uh, I..."  Nicole stuttered.

"Did you two get into a fight?"  Chris questioned.  He reached over and placed his hand tenderly on her arm.

"No."  Nicole mumbled under her breath.  She started to pick at her nails while her eyes still glued to the floor.

"Are you upset that I didn't kill you like you asked?"  Chris teased to lighten the mood.  When he saw that she didn't even crack a smile he sighed and felt worried.  "Nicole," he leaned over and took her face in his other hand, "You know I hate lying."

"It's stupid."  She fought against his hand to look at him.

"Nicole, look at me."  He watched her carefully till he saw her green eyes looking back at him.  "It must not be stupid if it's affecting you like this.  I'm here."  Chris reinsured her.

Nicole pulled away from his hands and sighed softly.  "You wouldn't understand."

"Try me."  He placed his hand that once was on her cheek on her knee and gave it a slightly squeeze.

"I feel like a horrible friend.....I should of-"

Chris interrupted her.  "So you two did get into a fight."

"No."  She brushed her side bangs out of her face.  "I realized something that day that I would never had.  I got jealous and I feel horrible for even feeling it and even thinking about it and the whole ‘woe is me' when it was her day.  It should have been all about her, but no, I became selfish and started to think about myself.  Who does that?  What kind of friend does that?"

Chris watched her carefully, thinking about what she said before he answered.  "I understand.  I think everything has been in that situation before-"

"You don't understand!"  Nicole exclaimed in a huff.

Chris was started to get frustrated.  If it was anything he couldn't stand it was being lied to his face.  Especially when it was someone he cared for.  "Yes I do."  Chris crossed his arms over his chest.                                          

"No you don't!  You still have your mother!"  She squeaked out.  "Don't sit there and say you understand.  You don't.  You don't understand at all!  I'm tired of everyone saying it's going to be okay...No it's not!  She's gone!  G-o-n-e!  You all still have your mothers, I don't!"

Chris sat back while the words hit him like a ton of bricks.  He sat still in shock; it wasn't anything close to what he thought was going on.  Going from thinking that Nicole and Kara got into a fight; to having it be about her mother threw him off track.  He opened his mouth to speak but closed it when nothing came to his mind.  Chris sighed and rubbing the back of his neck.  He looked up and watched her wipe an escaped tear that rolled down her cheek.

She was right; he still did have his mother.  He didn't know or understand the pain and suffering she went through and still was going through.  Not until his mother past away.  He shivered at the thought of his mother passing.  He couldn't picture his life without his own mother around.  She was one of the strongest individual he knew and had always been there for him since the day he was born.  He would be lost if it wasn't for his mother.

Nicole took a deep breath and started to fiddle with her fingers.  She always placed up a wall, a mask upon her face whenever her mother was brought up when deep down inside, she was breaking into pieces.  Even after three years it was still a touchy subject.  Her bottom lip was already starting to tremble and she hadn't said a word yet.  She heard Chris move in front of her, sitting down on the edge of the coffee table, but she didn't look up.  She knew once she did that the tears would start flowing.

"Nicole..."

"She was in so much pain she could barely move."  Nicole confessed to him.  She fought back the hot tears that were already starting to form in her eyes.  It was either now or never.  "She always had a stomach problem," Nicole continued, "Like, her whole life; so none of us thought of anything different when it started.  We thought it was her stomach, but later found out it was abdomen pain.  I don't know if it was normal for her to have that or not."  Nicole looked up when she felt Chris brush a tear out of the corner of her eye.  "Sometimes I wonder if we knew that it was abdomen pain and not stomach pain if we would have brought her to the hospital sooner or not.  Maybe she might still be here; or maybe it would have been still the same outcome.  It always is a wonder in the back of my mind, what if."

"Sometimes I feel like it's my fault."  Nicole confessed in a whisper as another tear ran down her cheek.  Chris sat back, shock written on his face when he heard the words she said.  Her fault?

"Sweetheart it wasn't your fault."  Chris reassured her while his fingers wiped away more of her tears.

"She might still be here if I knew it was abdomen pain.  If we brought her in before we did she might have not died."

Chris's eyes held hers while he brushed back her hair with the back of his hand behind her ears.  "You don't know that."  He told her.  The pads of his thumbs brushed under her eyes, feeling the wetness from her tears against his skin.  He felt his heart break from the pain and sorrow that shone in her eyes and face. 

Chris looked at her as he grew a new fond of respect for her.  She had never opened up to him in-depth about her mother's death.  Yes, he knew how she died and it was unexpected, but she never went beyond of how she died, when she died, or how certain song's she still couldn't listen to even after these years.  He knew the topic was very personal to her and how hard it was for her to talk about it.  He felt thankful, yet sadden that she opened up to him, showing him a new side of her to help him understand what she went through and how to help her, but seeing the pain she was in, crying and cracking in front of his own eyes killed him.  He just wanted to wrap his arms around her and hold her against him, tell her everything would be okay, that he was sorry and remind her that he was here for her.

"The day she died was the worst day of my life." Nicole continued.  "Not only did I just lose my mother, my best friend, but I lost a piece of me also.  For months I wouldn't leave my room.  I couldn't convince myself that she really was gone.  I kept telling myself she was just going to walk through the front door and just yell ‘surprise', but it never happened."  Nicole bit on her trembling bottom lip, doing her best to hold back her emotion.  "Who loses their own mother at the age of twenty two?  It isn't how it's supposed to be.  She is supposed to be at my wedding, be a grandma to my children, live to the age of her nineties and have gray hair."

"She couldn't wait to be a grandma.  It was something she dreamt of for years.  Only I would be able to give her that gift since I'm the only child.  She was the most amazing mother anyone could even ask for and all she wanted from me was a grandchild and I didn't get to give it to her.  After all she has done for me; I didn't even give her the one thing she wanted."  She admitted quietly.

"I'm jealous of all my friends, the guys, you," Nicole looked up at Chris, sympathy filling his eyes, "You all still have your mother, I," Nicole placed a hand on her chest, "Don't have that anymore.  I'm never going to have my mother at wedding, she is never going to get to be a grandma to my children, I can't just call her out of the blue to say I love you, I can't call her for mother advice, nothing."  Nicole cleared her throat when her voice cracked with emotion, tears rolling down her face.  "But most importantly, I can't even get a hug from her."

"It wasn't until I saw Kara and Sarah, her mom, both teary eyes over the perfect wedding dress that it hit me.  I will never get to go through the joys of going wedding dress shopping with my mom.  I will never get the moment that all girls dream of, finding that one wedding dress that brings you both to tears.  When they hugged, I felt jealous in my heart.  I was jealous of Kara for getting to dream of something I never will and now I feel bad for even feeling like that."

In one swift movement, Chris sat down next to her on the couch and pulled her onto his lap, embracing her while she cried against his shoulder.  He leaned his head against hers while his hands ran up and down her back tenderly.  He was speechless.  He didn't know what to say to comfort her but just to hold her.

His arms held her tightly when he felt her grip his hoodie in her hands.  His eyes closed, licking his lips while she continued to weep.

 

And don't apologize
For all the tears you've cried
You've been way too strong now for all your life

 

~~~~

"So did you and Nicole have a good night last night?"  Justin asked with a wink after watching Chris yawn.  Chris stretched his body out along the couch and tucked his arms behind his head all while closing his eyes.  "You sure seem...tired."  Justin added with a snicker.

"Get your mind out of the gutter.  It was a long night."  Chris covered his mouth as he yawned and rolled over to his side.

"A long night, eh?"  Joey wiggled his eyebrows and nudged Chris with his foot.

Chris swatted Joey's foot away.  "Knock it off.  Nothing like that happened.  We just talked."

"Sure.  Talk, if that's what everyone is calling it these days."  Lance added.  Without looking he raised his hand up while Justin and Joey both gave him a hand five while Lance continued to read his crossword puzzle.

Chris groaned.  "All we did was talk."

"Well did you at least find out what was bothering her?"  Lance asked.  Chris twisted his body slightly; remembering that he came to them the day before to try and see if they could help him out on finding out what was wrong with Nicole after asking them if she told them anything.

"Yeah."

"And?"  Justin asked when Chris didn't say anything else.

"That's why we talked all night."  Chris stated.

"Pain in my ass."  Justin grumbled.  "What was wrong?  Did you do something to piss her off?"

"It was about her mom.  We were up all night talking, crying...well, she did, I didn't, and letting everything out.  That is all you need to know."

"Oh."  Joey said softly.

"Mhm."  Chris hummed softly.  "So, what are we working on today?"

"Depends on how much Mr. Nazi got done last night."  Lance nodded his head toward JC while he continued to work on his crossword.

"Stop calling me a Nazi."  JC said without turning around to look at the guys.  He continued to look toward the soundboard and flip some switches.  "I'm not a Nazi."

"Yeah, he's French."  Joey added while he fought with Chris, trying to shove his feet off the couch to sit down.

"Joey," Justin shook his head with a sigh, "Shut up."

~~

Later that night, Chris pulled his car into the garage with a smile of his face.  Nicole's car was in his driveway.  They made plans to hang out, and gave her a copy of his house key in case he wasn't home yet from the studio.  It surprised him how quickly he gave her a key to his place, never doubting about it.  He never gave a key to his house this fast.  Karen was the only past girlfriend that ever had a key to his place, and it was after four months of being together.  Shaking his head, he opened the door from the garage to lead him into the house and tossed his keys and wallet onto the kitchen counter.

"Lucy I'm home!"  He bellowed, following with a soft chuckle.

"Sorry you got the wrong girl.  Lucy went home already."

Chris laughed as he made his way across the family room and planted a kiss on Nicole's lips.  He knew he surprised her with the sudden kiss.  It surprised him also.  They weren't "official together" but he couldn't help himself.  He loved the feeling of walking into his house and seeing Nicole there.  He loved just walking up to her and kissing her.  He loved her kisses.  Her lips.  The way they were always so soft it made him shiver.  They were addicting.  He leaned over and kissed her eyes, a small smile appearing on his lips when he felt her kissing him back this time.  He plopped down on the couch next to her and looked at the pad of paper in her hand.

"What are you doing?"

"Christmas list.  I write down everyone I need to get a gift for, what to get them if I know, so when I do Christmas shopping, I just cross off the list and I know I'm done with them.  Never having to worry about if I got a person a gift or not.

Chris mad a noise of interest and laid his arm behind her on the couch.  She was always making lists of everything.  She was always on top of things while he was, well, behind.  She got him into using post it notes, which has helped him....when he remembered to put things on post it notes.  His brown eyes carefully watched her, in dark color blue jeans and a yellow long sleeve shirt, her curly hair faming her face, while she continued writing more on her list.

He saw a new side of her last night.  She spilled her guts out in front of him, crying her eyes out, about her mother.  He saw her crumble before his eyes and the heartache she had been holding in for the past two years.  She brought down a wall that she was holding up.  She opened up to him and it made his heart swell.  He never had a girl made him feel like this over this this soon or quickly before.  She had a hold, a power, on him.

"What does the guy who has everything, want for Christmas?"

Chris turned and looked into her greens eyes after hearing her question.  Her eyes sparkled, making his knees weak just by one look.  He licked his lips.  She was the most breath taking person he had ever seen.  Not only was she beautiful, but she was caring, laughed at his own jokes, had a personality to blow away the world, she never held back on how she felt and told him to his face which he loved.  She had her flaws, and so did he.  She was beautiful inside and out.  There was something about her that told him not to let go.

And he wouldn't.  He was ready.

"You."

Nicole's eyes crackled in confusion, her eyes never leaving his.  She was cute when she was confused.  "Uh, come again?"

Placing her pad of paper and pen on the table he grabbed her face softly with his hands and kisses her softly.  He felt her stiffen, shocked by his reaction, before her lips moved along with his.  He ran his hand down her side, tracing her curves with his fingers.  Exploring her mouth with his, he slowly pushed her back on the couch, holding his body over hers.  The way she felt in his arms and the way she tasted drove him wild.  Continuing kissing, his hand moved to her hip, his fingers sliding under her shirt slightly, rubbing her arm skin on her side.  He felt her shiver from his touch.

Her arms wrapped around his neck, her fingers sliding into the hairs on the back of his head as he lifted his head up, his lips instantly feeling the cool air from leaving her lips. His lips found their way back to her cheek to her neck, leaving soft kisses against her warm skin.  Her fingers gripped his hair softly and he groaned, his lips leaving her neck and crashing back onto her lips.  Feeling Nicole tugging his body closer to hers, his arms wrapped around her tightly and he stood up, their lips never breaking contact.  He groaned against her lips when her legs wrapped around his waist, holding onto him tight.

Never breaking contact, he carefully made his way up the stairs and to his bedroom knowing everything was right.

 

You gotta tell me it's true
That you feel the same
I'm so much better when
I say you're name

Let me be with you tonight
Everything will be just fine
With you tonight.

End Notes:

 

Song Credits:

Closer To Love - Matt Kearney
                    &
With You, Tonight - Matt Wertz

Chapter 13 by WhiteSoxLuvr9
Author's Notes:

I'm so sorry!  life has been way to crazy for me.  Please forgive me :) <3

 

 

“You need to be home with me; alone with me; holding me next to the Christmas tree, kissing under the mistletoe as candles blow.  Please come home soon, it's not the same without you.”

Nicole sung softly along with the CD that was playing in the stereo system.  She leaned up on her tip toes as she hooked an ornament on an open tree branch.  She smiled when she heard Chris’s voice come from the speakers while she continued to decorate the Christmas tree.  He couldn’t be there to help her decorate it because of meetings he had to go to so she went with the next best thing to make it feel like he was there.  Playing NSYNC’s Christmas CD, Home For Christmas.  She knew how cheesy it was but she didn’t care.  Anyways, it’s my favorite Christmas CD.  She reminded herself in her head as she stretched her arms over her head.

She fixed Chris’s shirt that she was wearing, and slowly a smile appeared on her face while the images of last night appeared in her head.  She had sex before, but she had never experience what she felt last night with Chris.  It was hot, wild, and passionate all at once.  His lips made her body quiver every time it made contact with her hot skin.  Hearing him moan her name in his husky voice made her crazy.  She felt her stomach flip and her knees go weak and shook her head to clean her mind.

“Just keep it together Nicole, you’re started to sound like a sex addict.”  She muttered out loud to herself.

She stepped back and admired her work.  Looking back at the boxes she saw there was one ornament left in the box; the Pittsburgh Steelers one.  She knew better than to put that one up so she moved it to the side for Chris to put on the tree when he got home.  Her hand rubbed her other arm softly, which covered in red scratches from the Christmas wreath she placed on the front door outside.  Matches with the scuff Chris left on my neck last night.  Nicole chuckled before tucking her hair behind her ears.  I won’t be getting this work done if everything keeps leading back to Chris in bed.  Focus Nicole.  She mentally told herself and moved another box out of her way.

Taking a couple steps back her eyes admired around her work.  Christmas garland wrapped along the railings that lead them upstairs, small miniature snowmen set on the table, and Christmas candles spread out throughout the whole house.  Feeling content with her work she walked past the other rooms that had some sort of Christmas decorations that had been placed in there till she came in the Kitchen.  She touched up the small fake bouquet of fake red, white and green flowers in a white Christmas vase that sat in the middle of the Kitchen table before lighting one of her Christmas candles that was positioned on the Kitchen counter, Pine Tree scented, and walked over to the flat screen TV.  She fed the fish in the fish tank that was above the TV before fixing the miniature nativity scene she set up beside the fish tank.  She smiled, remembering how every year when her mother was alive, that her and her mother would set up the same nativity scene, that she was fixing, when they would decorate the house together.

Christmas was her and her mother’s favorite holiday.  They both would spend days decorating the whole house while listening to Christmas music.  Her family was known for the marvelous holiday decorating that her mother would do.  She remembered going through boxes and more boxes in the garage after her mother passed and asking her father on certain decorations to take with her.  She felt like even though her mother wasn’t alive anymore, she had to keep the tradition alive, do it in memory for her.

Chris knew her love for Christmas and how she loved to decorate.  She couldn’t control her excitement when he told her that she could decorate the place however she wanted.  Nicole smiled as she couldn’t wait for him to come home to see what she had done to the house inside.  She was brought out of her thoughts when she noticed a red and gold material in the box to her left.

“Oh, the Christmas skirt.”  She said out loud to herself.  Shaking it, she walked back down the hallway towards near the front of her house where the Christmas tree was.  She raised a brow and curiously looked down at Busta when she saw the dog staring at the tree with his head tilt slightly.

“Don’t even think about it, Busta.”  She warned the dog while she got on her knees and started to spread the Christmas skirt around the bottom of the tree on the floor.  “Almost done Busta.  All we have left is put the Stockings up and we’re good as gold for the inside.”  She sat back on her knees and looked over the skirt to make sure it was positioned correctly under the tree.

“What the…”  She mumbled under her breath when she noticed something unusual.  She got back down on her hands and knees and looked under the tree and pulled the mystery object; the price tag.  “He would forget to cut off the price tag after bringing it back from the Christmas tree lot.”  Nichole chuckled, sliding down to her back and sliding under the tree as he worked on the price tag.  “Moron.”

Nicole bit on her bottom lip, gently tugging and wiggling the tag to slip it though the string to pull off.  “Busta,” She called out when she felt something tap against her foot, “I warned you to stay away from the tree.  You can not pee here.  Go chew on your bone.”  She groaned again when she felt him bump against her leg again.  “Busta, stop.”  She bent the tag and slipped it though the loop, getting the price tag free off the branch.  “Finally…Oh!”  She squealed when she felt herself behind pulled up from the Christmas tree.  She closed her eyes so the pine needles wouldn’t get in her eyes.  When she went to open her eyes she felt wamr, soft, lips instantly crash onto hers.

“I didn’t know Santa came early.”

Nicole opened her eyes and smiled when she looked into brown ones and felt her stomach instantly do a flip.  “You’re home early.”

Chris nodded his head and bent his body up, pulling her along with him.  He raised a brow in question when he saw the price tag in her hand.  “I thought Santa made his gifts.”  He took the paper out of her hand and looked down at it.  “Mhm, I thought you were priceless.  I guess I was wrong.”  His eyes sparkled mischievously.  “You’re worth a Christmas tree.”

Nicole chuckled and smacked her arm against his stomach.  “You left it on the tree.”  She slipped her arms around his waist and pressed her check against his shoulder.  “Like I said before, you’re home early.”

“Mhm.”  Chris nodded his head as he looked around the room.  “Meeting didn’t take long.  I like what you did with the room.”  He told her before pressing his lips against the side of her head.

“Thank you, oh!”  Nicole maneuvered around him and picked up the small box.  “I left your Steelers ornament for you to put on the tree.”

He smiled as he took the yellow and black ornament out of its box and positioning it near the front of the tree.  He took a step back and wrapped his arm around her waist.  “Now it’s perfect.  So this is all you did today?”

“Not just this room.”  She smiled and took his hand in hers while she showed him the rest of the house.

“I’m surprise you didn’t do anything to the marionettes on the wall.”  Chris teased once they walked into the kitchen.  He had an amused look on his face, smiling, while he watched her show him the house.  Her face light up bright in each room with look of pure joy and happiness across her face.

“Oh I’m going to hunt down mini Christmas hat’s for those.”  She told him with a smile and tugging him into the Family room off the Kitchen.  Chris laughed while he followed behind her, smirking when he saw the fake snow atop of the TV and the small nativity scene next to the fish tank.

“Is this the nativity scene you told me about?”

Nicole nodded her head, looking at him briefly before looking back at the small figurines.  She sighted softly when she felt him stand behind her and wrapping his arms around her from behind.  He rested his chin on her shoulder and pressed his cheek against hers.  “I like it.”  He kissed her cheek.  He pulled her back closer to him while they stood in silence.  Chris knew how much she loved Christmas, how much her mother did, but he also knew how sad the holidays made her on missing her mother.

He also knew how much he loved seeing her in his shirts; wanting to bring her back up to the bedroom and repeat the amazing night they had the night before.  Before performing his act, his eyes caught something in front of him that alarmed him.

“What the hell…”  Chris pulled her arms out and looked down at the red scratches that covered her arms.  “Is that from the tree when I pulled you out?  Shit, if it is, I’m so sorry.”

“No.  I got in a fight with the Christmas wreath I put on the front door outside.”  She turned her head and grinned at him.  “I won.”

Chris laughed, hugging her closely towards his body and pressed his lips against her neck.  “You’re crazy.”

“I know.”  Nicole turned around in his arms and wrapped them around his neck before pressing her lips against his.  “All I have left is putting up the stockings over the fireplace than the inside is complete.”

“You’ve been a busy bee today.”

“Yep.  And  Tomorrow is Christmas cookie baking.”

“Oh?”  Chris eyebrows rose while he broke out in a wide grin.  “Perfect day to have off.”

“You can help me bake them.”

“Who said anything about me helping you bake?”  Chris said with a teasing glint in his eye.  “I was talking about eating them, and I know something we could do while we wait for them to bake in the oven.”

“Oh God.”  Nicole mumbled while she pushed herself away from him.  “You can’t eat them all.  I need some to give to the guys.”

“Fuck them.”  Chris joked before plopping down on the chair and turning on the TV.

“Well, if you insist.”  Nicole replied with a shrug of her shoulders.  She grabbed a bottle of water out of the fridge and walked back towards him.  “It won’t be hard to get Joey for it, but I might have to work harder on getting Lance to screw with.”

“Oh so very funny, Nicole.”  He said sarcastically with an eye roll.  He grabbed her by the waist and yanked her onto his lap.  “But, speaking of screwing…”  He shifted slightly underneath her and kissed her neck softly.  “Seeing you in my shirt is driving me crazy.”

“I couldn’t tell.”  Nicole replied with a smirk.

Chris groaned before flipping her on her back on the couch and climbing on top of her.  His lips quickly found hers and felt his body go crazy.  She knew the right buttons to touch to make his body go crazy, he didn’t know how she could do it, but she did it every time.  He felt his stomach flip when her fingers slid up the back of his shirt.  He felt his whole body go hot from her touch.

 

That I never knew the meaning of Christmas 
‘Till you came into my life
I was lost in the dark
‘Till you opened my heart
Like an angel shining bright
I wished on a star
And girl here you are
Suddenly I realize
That I never knew the meaning of Christmas
‘Till I looked into your eyes

The worlds from the CD player repeated in his head while his lips were attacking her neck, her perfume flooding his nose, and his knees went week.

Those words hit his heart.  It was just what he was feeling at that moment.  He slowly lifted his head up and opened his eyes, watching her eyes slowly flicked open, sparkling and joining his.  He was lost until he bumped into her, and she opened his heart. She changed him for the best.  He had a feeling that this would be the best Christmas he had ever had.

His eyes dropped to her lips, watching her bite on her bottom lip and he groaned before dropped his mouth back on hers.

He was falling, and falling hard.

 

End Notes:

 

 

Song Credits:

 

The Only Gift - *NSYNC

I never Knew The Meaning Of Christmas - *NSYNC

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1413