Gravity by CJasmine
Summary:

Set me free, leave me be. I don't want to fall another moment into your gravity.
Here I am and I stand so tall, just the way I'm supposed to be.
But you're on to me and all over me.

You loved me 'cause I'm fragile.
When I thought that I was strong.
But you touch me for a little while and all my fragile strength is gone.

- Gravity; Sara Bareilles

 

       Dating never came natural for Arianna, in fact it rarely came at all. He wasn't looking for another relationship, in fact is was the last thing on his mind. Until they met. He never thought he'd fall for a fan and she never thought she'd actually fall for him.


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, Fantasy, General, Humor, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 9141 Read: 9096 Published: Apr 01, 2009 Updated: May 03, 2009
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not know nor own Justin or anyone associated with him, including their appearance in this story. I do however own everyone else. Please be kind :-)

1. Characters by CJasmine

2. Gravity by CJasmine

3. Bottle It Up by CJasmine

4. Between the Lines by CJasmine

5. Falling by CJasmine

Characters by CJasmine
Author's Notes:
This is simply how I envision these characters in my head. For now, I am only posting pictures of the "key" characters until the others start to appear more.

-Arianna Slater

- Melissa Blake

- Justin Timberlake

- Trace Ayala

- Lynn Harless

Gravity by CJasmine

            “Are you planning on sitting here all day?” My best friend, Melissa said as she sat down beside me. I tilted my head down to peer at her over the top of my sunglasses and nodded before turning back around in my chair, watching the kids play in the backyard. The weather was finally starting to turn into spring. It was a good day to have a get together. The sun was blazing.

            We were visiting my parents at their home in Virginia for my father’s birthday cookout. It happened every year near the middle of March. I never understood why since my father’s birthday was in December and mine is in March but I never complained. It was always a good time to get together with my family and friends since Melissa and I lived in New York.

            Both of our families were extremely close, even though she and I had only been friends for a short time. Her family made the trip down from Baltimore for this cookout for the past 10 years. It was a good thing my parents moved into a bigger house with a bigger back yard.

            “You do realize everyone is just going to make there way over here, right? You sing at these things every year and once they are ready, there is no hiding.” She said her eyebrows rose in amusement. “Your uncle said something about friends of his coming over but that once they got here we had to act normal. Do you know who they are?”

            I crossed my right leg over my left and sighed, “Probably some of his musical friends. Why else would he tell us to act normal? But no, I don’t know who. I’m enjoying this peace and quiet before –“

            I was cut off by the loud yell of a five year old boy, “AUNTIE!” I separated my legs just in time for my five year old nephew to run head first into my stomach.

            “Oomph! Geez, Cory, think you could’ve hit me any harder?” I pulled him onto my lap, smothering his face with kisses and ignoring his protests to stop, “No, this is what happens to cute little boys. They get all the lovin’!”

            After a few more kisses, I released him, letting him run towards the other kids. I stood up and looked down at Melissa, “See; now my quiet time is over. Let’s go mingle.”

            A couple hours later, I was sitting on the back porch with Melissa and my aunt laughing at all the misfortune Melissa had been having with men in New York. The screen to the back porch opened, my uncle Milton coming through. He saw us first and smiled, waving us over. I stood, adjusting my yellow tank top and smoothing down the front of my William Rast jeans. I grabbed my beer and walked over towards him, “Hey!”

            My uncle bent down, pulling me into a hug and kissing the top of my head. Milton and I have always been close. Even though he is my uncle by marriage, he treats me like I’m his own daughter. He’s actually spoiled Melissa and me quite a bit. Grabbing my arm, he smiled over at the other two women before pulling me into the house and shutting the door. I raised an eyebrow at him but he just shook his head and I followed him into the living room.

            “Okay, you’re starting to creep me out.” I took a swig of my beer and cocked my head to the side, “What’s up?”

            “I brought some friends with me and I wanted you to meet them first. So, if you freak out it’s in here and not outside. Just … be normal, okay?” He said, his eyes twinkling.

            Realizing I never took my sunglasses off, I pushed them up, resting on the top of my brown hair. I poked my hip out, “Why would I freak out?”

            He just grinned and moved toward the front door. I watched him open it and motion for whoever was on the other side to step in. I took another sip of my beer, not prepared for who came through the front door. I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion, “You thought I’d freak out?”

            He ushered his guests into the house, shutting the door behind them. “Well, yeah. You’ve only been in love with him since you were 10.”

            I rolled my brown eyes and stuck out my hand, looking right into his blue ones. Wow, he’s much hotter in person. Especially with glasses. “Hi, I’m Arianna but everyone just calls me Ari.”

            He smiled, “I’m Justin. This is my mom, Lynn and my friend Trace. Thanks for letting us come. Milt said it would be alright.”

            I shook Lynn and Trace’s hand, “It’s nice to meet all of you and it’s not a problem. Plus we have enough of everything to last through winter. Are you guys hungry or thirsty?”

            Milton stepped around and looked at me, “Who are you and were is my niece?”

            I giggled, “What?” I hate it when he decides it’s a good time to embarrass me. Yes, I’m a huge fan of Justin Timberlake but does he have to go and point that out? Why yes he does, apparently.

            “See, this was the plan. I even warned them! You’re not… squealing.”

            “I’m 25. I don’t squeal. I talk very excitedly. There is a difference.” I smiled over at Lynn who laughed and patted Milton on the shoulder. “Am I disappointing you? I can squeal if you really want me to.”

            “No!” Justin said quickly, receiving a dirty look from his mother, “I mean its okay. Sorry.” He laughed nervously, running a hand across the back of his neck.

            I shook my head, “Its okay. I get it and yes, Uncle Milton I have been a fan since I was young but I think I’ve passed that stage in my life. Come on, let’s go outside.” I turned around to show everyone out the back. I heard more laughter from behind me as we got to the back door. I looked over my shoulder and everyone was grinning at me, “What? Something on my butt?” I looked down, trying to see if I could see anything.

            Trace laughed harder, “No! But those jeans look good on you.”

            I laughed when I realized what he was talking about, “Thanks. I got them in New York; not quite sure who the designers are though.” I giggled at the looks on their faces.

 

*~*~*

            I sat on the edge of the pool, my jeans rolled up just above my knees, my feet and calves resting in the warm water. The one thing I loved the most about my parents knew home was their heated swimming pool. Amazing. Melissa was a little dumbfounded when we came from inside the house but everyone seemed to be getting along extremely well. I spent a lot of time talking with Lynn and Trace while everyone seemed eager to meet Justin.

            The good thing about my parent’s pool is that it is further back rather than close to the patio. While I could still hear and see everyone, it was still semi private. I looked down at my phone, seeing a text message from Melissa. I looked up and saw her grinning at me. Opening the phone, I read

So how does it feel to finally meet your husband in real life?

            I looked back up at her to see her laughing and rolled my eyes. I quickly opened a blank text message and typed and sent a response,

I declared him my husband when I was 13. I think I’m over it lol

            I looked across the yard but the humor in her face was gone. She was still smiling but it was different. Nodding her head to the side, she stood and turned her back towards me, talking to one of her brothers. I looked over to my right and saw Justin sitting beside me. When he got there, I had no clue. I didn’t even notice him sitting down. “I hope you don’t mind me joining you but you looked lonely over here all by yourself.”

            I shrugged, “Company is good. Are you enjoying yourself?” I leaned back on my hands, kicking my feet through the water. He was sitting Indian style, his hands in his lap.

            “It’s fun, very homey. I miss having these kinds of things.” He rested his elbow on his thigh and rested his cheek on his hand, facing me, “Why was your uncle expecting you to freak out?”

            I threw my head back and laughed, “Uhh, well. I’m a fan and when I was younger I was an even bigger fan, I guess. So, I suppose he figured since I admire you, I’d start crying and hyperventilating or some shit like that.”

            “Not a big fan anymore?” His eyes twinkling

            I grinned, “I mean, you’re alright”

            His fake hurt made me laugh even harder. He broke out into a grin, “You have a pretty smile.”

            I faced towards the pool, glancing at him out of the corner of my eye, “Thank you. So, what are you in town for?”

            He shrugged, “Working on some music in Virginia Beach. My mom and Trace were visiting and Milton mentioned coming up here for a cook out, asked if we wanted to come along. We’re just staying until next weekend. I’ve never been to Fredericksburg before. Milton mentioned you sing.”

            I rolled my eyes, “He would. Yes, but just for fun. Mostly family events, though. My dad is a musician and my aunts were dancers. My two brothers play instruments and my mom just nods her head to the beat.”

            He chuckled, “Sounds like a talented family. Are you singing tonight?”

            I nodded, “Sadly, yes. Had I known we’d have a real performer in the house I would’ve faked like I was sick or something, I get nervous around new people.”

            He sighed, “Don’t be nervous. I’m here to nod my head to the beat with your mom.”

            I snorted, “You obviously haven’t seen my mother’s rhythm.” I looked up as one of my aunts was approaching. She caught my eye and raised an eyebrow before motioning for us to head towards the patio, “Looks like its show time.”

 

*~*~*

            I sat behind the keyboard as my older brother Mike got behind the drums and Ryan picked up his guitar. My aunt Carolyn spoke first, “Gravity, please.” I smiled softly at Justin who was watching me intently. His mom whispered something in his ear, a slight blush creeping up into his cheeks and he ducked his head. Trace laughed, looking over at me. I really hate having all eyes on me.

            I took a deep breath, “Alright, Gravity it is. I’m only doing one, since I have to be up early tomorrow. Stop your groaning, I can’t help it if I am party pooper.”

            My nephew Cory pouted, “But I wanted you to sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star!” Everyone laughed.

            “How about I sing it to you when it’s time for bed?”

            “Like, my own concert?” He spoke, his young grey eyes going wide. The grin on his face contagious when I nodded.

            I placed my fingers on the keyboard and prayed to God the sound that came out of my mouth didn’t make Justin cringe.

 

Something always brings me back to you.
It never takes too long.
No matter what I say or do I'll still feel you here 'til the moment I'm gone.

You hold me without touch.
You keep me without chains.
I never wanted anything so much than to drown in your love and not feel your reign.

 

I looked over at my dad, who was smiling. His arm around my mom’s shoulders.

 

Set me free, leave me be. I don't want to fall another moment into your gravity.
Here I am and I stand so tall, just the way I'm supposed to be.
But you're on to me and all over me.

You loved me 'cause I'm fragile.
When I thought that I was strong.
But you touch me for a little while and all my fragile strength is gone.

 

Set me free, leave me be. I don't want to fall another moment into your gravity.
Here I am and I stand so tall, just the way I'm supposed to be.
But you're on to me and all over me.

 

          Finally getting the courage, I glanced around at those watching. My eyes landing on Justin’s blue eyes, he was watching me intently. A soft smile on his lips.

 

I live here on my knees as I try to make you see that you're everything I think I need here on the ground.
But you're neither friend nor foe though I can't seem to let you go.
The one thing that I still know is that you're keeping me down

 

          I finished the song, giggling at the applause and stood up, my dad taking my place. I hugged my mom and told Melissa I was running into the house for a minute. I walked through the sliding glass door and headed towards the living room, “Ari!” I turned around and saw Justin approaching me. He closed the glass door and stepped into the living room.

            “Hey, what’s up?” I asked, slipping my cell phone into my pocket.

            “Are you busy tomorrow?” He asked, rocking back on his heels. I shook my head and he continued, “I was kind of hoping we could go to lunch.”

            “Are you asking me out on a date, Justin?” I cocked my head to the side and raised an eyebrow.

            “Yeah… yeah, I guess I am.” He replied.

            “Okay. Since you’re not from around here, do you want me to pick you up?” I asked.

            He shrugged, “That’s fine. So, tomorrow at 1ish? Is that okay?”

            I nodded. We exchanged information before I turned and continued up the stairs. Did that really just happen?

End Notes:
Song Ari Sings: "Gravity" - Sara Bareilles
Bottle It Up by CJasmine
Author's Notes:
I wanted to get this finished and posted tonight since I am helping with the Special Olympics with my sorority all day tomorrow. If there are mistakes, I apologize! I will fix them later. Thanks to all who have reviewed so far! :-) I hope you like it.

                I stood in front of the closet in my room at my parent’s house. My hair was still wrapped in a towel and I had on nothing but a pair of black capri pants and a bra. “I don’t know what to wear.” I groaned looking over at Melissa was lying on her stomach on my bed reading US Weekly. I’d been through both our suitcases. Twice.

                She glanced up at me before returning to her magazine, “I think the last five shirts you put on were pretty good choices but apparently you don’t like what I have to say. Besides, weren’t you just bitching about not needing to impress him? Hmm. Did you know that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are going to need a farm sooner or later? I swear, they like adopt a kid a year.”

                Chuckling, I rolled my eyes and picked up the last shirt I threw half hazard on the floor. “This will have to do. I have to leave in like 30 minutes.” I slip on the sleeveless white tunic with a cute faded floral design on the front over my head and step into my silver flats. Turning around, I pulled the towel out of my hair and cleared my throat, “How do I look?”

                Melissa raised an eyebrow before nodding, “Like I fucking hate you. Why do you always look good in MY clothes?” She closed the magazine and crossed her arms in front of her, “How are you doing your hair? It’s like 75 degrees outside. Perfect day! Where are you taking him? What time will you be back? Are you going to kiss him?”

                I looked at her, my eyes wide, “WHOA, MOM, calm down.” I laughed as she cocked her head to the side, looking at me with an ‘I want answers’ smirk. “I’m leaving it down and curly, is that okay with you? I’ll probably take him downtown to Soup & Taco for lunch and then walk around. I do not know what time I will be back, depends on how long we walk around for and no, I am not going to kiss him. Are we covered?” I move towards the bathroom, scrunching my natural curly hair in the process.

                As I begin applying my make up, I heard her giggle, “I’m putting a condom in your purse, by the way.”

*~*~*

                We sat at a back table in the little restaurant Soup & Taco. I looked at Justin and grinned. He was dressed casually, denim jeans and a grey t-shirt and he was wearing his glasses. He leaned down to take a bite of his fajita but stopped when he noticed me smiling, “What?”

                I shook my head, “I’m amazed that’s all.”

                He chewed slowly, taking a sip of his water before speaking, “About what?”

                “That you don’t bring that big scary black man with you.” I responded, taking a sip of my own water.

                He gave me a lopsided grin, “Depends on where I am at. This town is pretty chill so I didn’t think it was necessary. Can I ask you a question?” I nodded so he would continue. Sitting his food down, he linked his fingers together on the table, “You and Melissa are close, right? How did you guys meet?”

                I finished chewing my taco and smiled, “Well, we met the summer before our freshman year of college when we both were touring the campus. We kept in touch and decided to be roommates. She was my roommate for all four years and is still my roommate to this day. We’re so much like sisters it’s ridiculous; I love the girl to death. We’ve been through a lot of stuff together, good bad and ugly.”

                He nodded, “That’s how I feel about Trace, the guy that was with us last night. We’ve been friends since we were kids and it’s like … I’m not sure I would know what to do with myself if I didn’t have him to keep me in check. Other than my mamma, he is the one person that calls me on my bullshit. How long have you been singing for?”

                I laughed and folded all my trash on the tray, pushing it off to the side.  I leaned on my elbows on the table, “Since I was about 4. My dad has been performing since before he met my mom. He and my uncle used to have a duo type thing going on until I was about 8. On my fourth birthday, he brought me on stage to have me sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and I haven’t stopped since.”

                “Would you do it professionally?” He questioned, using the napkin to wipe his mouth before placing his trash on mine.

                I shook my head, “No. I like what I do too much to give it up. It’s a fun hobby to have and a great second job but I like my life the way it is now. What about you superstar? Giving up?”

                He shrugged, “Not exactly. I’m pretty content with the way my life is right now. My second record was very fulfilling and I’m enjoying the producing and writing a lot more. I mean, I still love to perform. I do on occasion and I’ve done a lot of tracks with other artists but I’m enjoying this down time of sorts.”

                I looked down at my watch and noticed it was almost 3 o’clock, “What do you say we get out of here? I was thinking we could walk around downtown, if you want to.”

                He stood up, grabbing the tray, “Yeah, sounds great.”

*~*~*

                As we walked down the main street, I pointed out various historical factors about my hometown. Justin seemed really interested, asking questions and cracking jokes. Around 5 o’clock we started heading back towards my car. Justin cleared his throat and I peered over at him, “You alright?”

                He looked down and nodded, “I really like it here. Thank you for showing me around and for lunch. I’m not used to being the one treated on a date.” He gave me that sexy lopsided grin again.

                “Well, don’t get used to it buddy. You’re paying next time.” I responded, nudging him with my shoulder.

                He nudged me back, “So… there will be a next time?”

                I shrugged nonchalantly, “That’s up to you. Do you want there to be?”

                He threw his head back and laughed. Shoving his hands in his pockets, he seemed thoughtful before answering, “I haven’t been this awkward on a date in a really long time. Yes, I do want there to be another date. I’ve had a really nice time with you. So, Miss Ari, what is it that you do?”

                I linked my arm through his and smiled up at him, “Good answer, Superstar. I work for a Law Firm in New York. I’m senior intern which is pretty cool. I get all the good jobs like sitting in on court cases and actually helping prosecute a couple. Melissa works there, too. I know we’re kind of inseparable which is scary sometimes.” I laughed before continuing, “We both applied for the same job without telling the other. They couldn’t choose so they created another senior intern position so they could have both of us. It’s pretty sweet.”

                “What did you major in at college? I’ve thought about going back but I feel like I waited too long.” He commented, stepping a little closer beside me.

                “I got my Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice. I’m currently trying to get my Master’s in Forensic Science. I think that if you want to go back, you should. Start small, like online classes with your schedule and what not. What would you major in?”

                He thought about for a minute before answering, “Business.”

                We finished walking to my car in silence, my arm still looped through his. I pulled out the keys to my silver Dodge Neon and hit the unlock button. As I opened the door, “So, Melissa has to go to the law firm down here because she drew the short end of the stick. Our parents are going out of town for the night so if you want, you could come over and we could maybe watch a movie or something?”

                We both got into the car and he nodded at me, “Sure, but under one condition.”

                I started the car and backed out of the parking spot, “You name it.”

                “You let me cook for you. What’s your favorite food?”

                I stopped at the red light, “You cook? Amazing! I love Italian so anything that is extremely bad for you and super starchy is awesome.”

                He laughed, looking out the window, “A girl after my own heart.”

*~*~*

                I returned home a little before 7. Melissa was sitting on the couch watching a Lifetime movie, bucket of popcorn in her lap. I shook my head as I kicked off my shoes by door. Grabbing the blanket off the back of the couch, I sat down on the other side after stealing a handful of popcorn. She looked over at me, a small smirk on her lips, “Did he kiss you?”

                I groaned, “Don’t beat around the bush. No, he didn’t. I told you I had no intention of kissing him today! I’m just starting to get to know him.”

                She threw a piece of popcorn at me, “You’re no fun. Gosh, you and this whole ‘I got to have morals’ shit.”

                I giggled, throwing the piece of popcorn back at her, “He did ask me on a second date though. Kind of.”

                “What do you mean, ‘kind of’?” She questioned, raising an eyebrow.

                “I mean, I sort of asked him if he wanted to and then he asked me if I wanted to and then we came to an agreement. So I invited him over tomorrow while everyone is gone. How long are you going to be at the office?”

                Her sly smirk was back, “Are you going to get freaky in your parents house?”

                I threw the last piece of popcorn I had at her, hitting her right between the eyes, “Melissa Anne Zoey Blake! Is sex all you think about!?”

                She nodded, “Basically. When you haven’t gotten any in a couple months, it tends to take over your life. Which, Arianna Elizabeth Slater, I am surprised it hasn’t taken over yours. It’s been what … two years?”

                I groaned and rolled my eyes, “Can we not bring that up right now? Besides, I’ve accepted the fact that I haven’t gotten laid in a while, a really long while. Something you obviously need to do.”

                “I’ll be at the office until at least midnight because I’m not going in until around 6. I’ll text you when I am on my way home that way I don’t walk in on anything. Now shut up and let me watch this movie. It was just getting good. See, that man is cheating on his wife with the nanny who in turn hates his children and tried to poison one of them. But I’m not sure why he was fucking the nanny, I mean look at her. That’s like … downgrade 101 rights there. Besides, who the hell fucks the nanny nowadays? Now, she’s going after the second –“

                I hit her in the head with the pillow, laughing, “Please, shut the fuck up.”

Between the Lines by CJasmine
Author's Notes:
I'm sorry this took so long. I've been writing my thesis all semester and everything caught up with me at once. I'm almost a college graduate! yay! :-) Enjoy and let me know what you think. Thanks to all who have reviewed so far ... it means a lot!

         “So, what exactly is it that you are making?” I asked as I jumped on the counter in the kitchen of my parent’s house. Justin arrived a little over a half an hour after Melissa left to go to the office. I’ve been helping him to an extent, telling him where the pots and pans are. Other than that he made me promise to stay out his way. As amusing and entertaining it is to watch his face scrunch up in concentration, the occasional curse word slipping out of his mouth, I really wanted to know what he was making.

            He looked over at me from stirring a pot of noodles and shook his head, “You’ll just have to wait and see.”

            I swung my legs lightly back and forth, occasionally stealing a piece of broccoli when he wasn’t looking. “How was the rest of your night last night?”

            He smiled, “Quiet. Well, quiet after I gave my mother and Trace a detailed account of our date. My mom really likes you, you know.”

            I shrugged, “What can I say? I have that affect on people.” He smacked my denim jean covered thigh lightly with the wooden spoon and I giggled, “I’m kidding. I like your mom too. My mom seems to be pretty fond of you as well.”

            “Is this weird to you at all?” He questioned, raising an eyebrow at me. “I mean, this is our second date and we’ve already met the folks.”

            I laughed, biting on the corner of my bottom lip, “No, given how we met anyways. I think it’s weird you asked me out.”

            “That would make you weird for saying yes.” He winked at me, turning the burner on the stove off, “Why is it weird that I asked you out?”

            I shrugged, “I don’t know. I’m not used to being the one that gets asked out, I guess. It’s usually Melissa. But, I’m glad you did.”

            He sat the spoon down on the stove and moved over towards me. I opened my legs a little and he stepped in between, placing his hands on either side of my thighs on the counter. “I’m not good at the whole being attracted to someone and getting to know them before dating them. I like to date and I want to date you, if that’s okay.”

            I poked his nose, laughing when he scrunched up his face, “Seeing as though I let you near a stove without knowing what you’re cooking first, I’d say I want to date you too.”

            His face broke out into a grin as he pushed himself back, “Let’s eat!”

*~*~*

            After eating the delicious shrimp scampi Justin cooked for dinner, we made our way into the living room to watch movies. I watched from my spot on the couch as he looked through my parent’s huge DVD collection in the bookcase beside the television. My cell phone buzzed from the coffee table and Justin looked over his shoulder, a twinkle in his eyes, “Hot date tonight? I hope I’m not keeping you.”

            I rolled my eyes and flipped open my phone to a new text message, “its Melissa. Pick a movie, Mister.”

I’m pretty sure this is going to be an all night affair.

These people are dumb! Have ya’ll practiced making babies yet?

            I giggled, moving a little when Justin sat beside me on the couch. He placed his arm across the back, tapping my shoulder. I looked over at him, raising an eye brow when he just stared at me. Eventually, I scooted closer towards him as I typed my response,

You’re such a pervert. Do your work.

            I leaned forward and sat my phone on the coffee table, “I’m sorry. You have my undivided attention now. What movie did you pick?”

            He looked down at me as he scooted further down on the couch, propping his feet up on the coffee table, “Oh you’ll see.”

            As the movie started, I glanced up at Justin, “Really?” Out of all the movies, He had to pick Talladega Nights.

            He nodded, “This is a good movie!”

            I laid my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes, “Good? Huh. Not the word I would use.”

            Thirty minutes into the movie, I felt Justin squirm a bit. I moved to sit up as he did the same, “Are you okay?”

            He turned to face me, his expression unreadable, “Can we just talk? I’m not really paying attention.”

            I turned fully to face him as he picked up the remote and pressed pause on the movie. “Sure. What do you want to talk about?”

            He shifted his body towards me, leaning his elbow against the back of the couch. Placing his chin in his hand, he studied me for a minute before breaking out into a grin, “I want to know everything about you. Why’d you say yes?”

            I bit the inside of my cheek for a minute before answering, “I don’t know. You caught me off guard to be honest. The beauty of dating is the chance to get to know someone, right? Well, I’m getting to know you. So, Justin Timberlake, why did you ask me out?”

            He chuckled, “Well, I thought you were beautiful the minute I saw you and then you sang that song at the cookout. I don’t know, I guess I just wanted to get to know you, too. Tell me about your life, Ari.”

            I laughed lightly before taking a deep breath and letting it out, “Alright, hmm. Well, I come from a rather large family as you saw the other night. I graduated from college a couple years ago with a degree in Criminal Justice and moved to New York with Melissa where we still live today. I have a Welsh corgi named Foxy and a guinea pig named Mimi. “I tilted my head to the side, “Anything else?”

            “Favorite color?”

            “Blue.”

            “Movie?”

            “Breakfast Club.” He’s on a roll.

            “TV Show?”

            “Criminal Minds.” I giggled, “Anything else, Detective?”

            He rolled his eyes. “So, when you date someone do you just… date them or do you date multiple people at one time?”

            I leaned my head to side, watching as his concentrated on my face. I smiled before answering, “I’m a one man kind of woman. I really suck at the whole dating thing. I’ve only been on two dates, every other time it has been a relationship so I don’t know how I would react to dating more than one person at a time. What about you?”

            “I have the tendency to be ‘overwhelming’ or so I am told. I prefer dating one at a time and usually by the end of the first date I can tell if it’ll work or not.” He responded, shifting to stretch his arms over his head. He covered his mouth as he yawned and I looked over at the clock.

            “Are you tired? It’s almost ten.” He nodded reluctantly. I stood up and he followed suit, “I’m not kicking you. I’ve had a great time but I don’t want you to stay if you’re ready for bed.”

            He walked over towards me, slowly. He held his arms out and I grinned, stepping into his hug. Wrapping my arms around his neck, his hold tightened and I closed my eyes. He spoke up after a few moments, “I really like you. Is that okay?”

            I laughed, feeling his body shake with laughter against mine and nodded, “Yeah. It’s okay.”

 

*~*~*

            “So, I’m starting to rethink our friendship.” I groaned, shifting under Melissa’s weight. I was more tired than I thought the previous night and fell asleep almost immediately after Justin left. I opened one eye to glance at the clock: ten after eleven. As much as I love Melissa, I’m pretty sure her brain does not function like the normal person. Why she felt the need to pounce on me is beyond my comprehension. I really needed to start locking my door at night.

            I mustered all the strength I could seeing as though I was rudely awaken and shoved Melissa off of me. She plopped down beside me, crawling under my covers. I rolled over on my side so my back is to her and pulled the covers over my head, “Could you please just go away? I’m tired!”

            She giggled, “I am running on four tall coffees and four red bulls. I’m waiting for my crash and until then, I’m just going to fuck with you. Besides, Milt’s downstairs and I hate grown up talk.”

            I chuckled, pushing the covers off of my head, “I’m up.” She clapped her hands together, getting out from under the covers. Walking over to my side of the bed, she grabbed my outstretched hands and pulled me up. I adjust my white tank top and princess frog shorts before walking to the bathroom in my room to brush my teeth and pulled my hair into a ponytail.

            I emerged after taking care of my business and rolled my eyes at Melissa, “I hate you.” The smell of bacon hit me full force as I opened to door, “Did they cook breakfast?”

            Nodding from her spot on the end of my bed, she stood up and followed me out of my room. As we made our way down the stairs I heard a familiar laughter and looked over my shoulder, my eyebrows raised. I just couldn’t figure out who the laughter belongs to Melissa shrugged and continued to nudge me down the stairs, “I’m hungry. Move it woman.”

            I laughed as we stepped into the dining room attached to the kitchen and stopped dead in my tracks. I heard Melissa snicker from behind me and I elbowed her in the stomach before looking back at the table. My uncle, Justin, my mother and Lynn were all sitting around the table, laughing about whatever it is they were talking about. “You knew.” I accused.

Melissa continued to giggle, stepping around me to grab a plate and headed towards the food that was sprawled out on the kitchen counter, “Morning everyone.” I greeted before following Melissa into the kitchen. “I really fucking hate you. Why didn’t you tell me he was here?” I whispered harshly. “I’m walking around in my frog pajamas!”

Melissa nodded, trying to hide her giggle as she took a bite out of her bacon strip. I placed my hand on my hip, waiting for her finish. Her blue eyes twinkled, “I’m sorry, okay? Only his mom was down here when I first walked in. I didn’t know he was here until I came into the room with you so shush. Plus, he might think you’re hot in your princess frogs.”

            She nudged me and winked. Grabbing her plate, she reentered the dining room to eat. I grabbed the last plate on the counter and began putting bacon when a voice from behind me spoke up, “Nice shorts.”

            I narrowed my eyes before turning around, “Thanks. I like to think so.” Justin stepped further into the kitchen. He leaned against the counter and watched while I put the rest of my food on my plate. I sat the plate down and turned to face him, “Can I help you with something, Mr. Timberlake?” I took the chance to finally get a good look at him. He was wearing William Rast denim jeans and plain white t-shirt. He really was fucking adorable in his glasses.

            He gave me a lopsided grin, “Just wanted to say hello.” Leaning forward, he kissed my cheek and I bit the inside of my lip, “And Melissa was right. I do think you look hot in your shorts.” He gave me a wink before pushing off the counter and retreated back to the dining room. I grabbed my plate, willing the blush that crept up on my cheeks away.

 

*~*~*

            After breakfast, I excused myself to go take a shower and get ready. I’m not one to be embarrassed easily but being around Justin makes me nervous. I guess I like him. Stepping out of the shower, I wrapped my white towel around my caramel body and opened the door, using my free hand to wipe the steam off the mirror. My long black hair was now curly from being wet and I scrunched it a little before picking up my toothbrush again. As I was about to put the toothbrush in my mouth, someone cleared their throat from inside my room.

            I sat the toothbrush down and stepped into the room to see Justin sitting on my bed, holding my stuffed frog, Maggie. “I’m doing everything possible not to look up but Melissa told me it’d be okay if I waited in here. I heard the shower on and I was going to leave but I became highly interested in this frog. You do realize one of its legs is falling off?”

            “You can look up, I’m not naked. And that’s Maggie. I’ve had her since I was 3 so be careful, she’s very fragile.”  I walked further into the room, towards my dresser. I pulled out a pair of jean capri pants and a grey tank top and turned to head back towards the bathroom. Justin was watching me. “What?”

            “Your hair… It’s nice like that.” He complimented and I smiled back.

            “Well, thank you. Let me change. I’ll be right back.” I reentered the bathroom to finish getting ready. When I emerged I was dressed, my hair was pulled back in a clip and I had managed to put a little make up on. Not much. Just a little bit of powder, blush and mascara. It was supposed to be hot outside again.

            “So what are your plans for today?” Justin asked as I sat down beside him on the bed. He held Maggie up to my face, making kissing noises.

            I laughed, grabbing the frog out of his hands and sitting her back at the head of my bed. “Nothing, I should really start on a paper for school but I think I am going to get some ice cream. What are you doing?”

            “Well, I wanted to see if you wanted to hang out.” He glanced over at me, curiosity in his eyes.

            “Justin, this would be our third date.” He nodded so I continued, “Are we…?”

            He bit his lip and raised his eyebrows, “Are we?” He whispered.

            I giggled, “I don’t know!” I threw my hands up, “I like you. I like you a lot. But you haven’t even -” I stopped, looking down at my hands. “I’m not used to dating. I haven’t done it in a really long time.”

            He placed one of his hands on top of mine, pulling them apart. Lacing our fingers together, he used his free hand to turn my face towards him so I was giving him my full attention, “I haven’t what, Miss Ari?”

            I let out the breath I didn’t know I was holding, “Kissed me yet.”

Leaning down, he grinned as our noses touched, “Well, why didn’t you just say something?”

His lips were pressed against mine before I could respond. He kept his free hand on my cheek, turning his head to the side slightly. I sighed in content when I felt his tongue ran across my bottom lip. He pulled back first, our faces still close.

 

Yeah. We so are.

Falling by CJasmine
Author's Notes:
Another chapter before exam week. I hope you all like it. I'll also add a picture of Hailey to the characters as soon as I can. You'll find out who she is in this chapter. Let me know what you think, please!

                I stepped inside the diner Melissa suggested we for lunch. We took a seat at an available booth in the back corner. After placing our drink orders, I picked up the menu that the waitress had placed in front of me and started scanning the items, trying to decide what I wanted to eat. Melissa cleared her throat and I looked up. She was watching me, curiosity written in her ridiculously blue eyes, “So, are you and Justin…”

                I shrugged, “I think so. I mean, we alluded to it the other day but neither one of us actually came out and said it. Not to mention I haven’t heard from him in two days.” Finally settling on a meal, I laid the menu down while we waited for the waitress.

                “Have you told him about Hailey?” She questions, laying her menu down on top of mine.

                I took in a deep breath, “It’s not something that’s come up in conversation. ‘Hey, Justin! Guess what? I have a daughter and her father is a bastard who told lies and got sole custody. Wanna meet her on Fourth of July?’ We had three dates and we’re possibly an item. I haven’t spoken with him so even if I wanted to, I haven’t had the opportunity.”

                She nodded, “Stephen is an ass. But you really need to tell Justin.”

                We were interrupted when the waitress returned; ready to jot down our orders. After she walked away, I opened my mouth to respond but the ringing of my cell phone stopped me. I stuck my tongue out at Melissa and answered without looking at the ID, “Hello?”

                 “Hey,” responded a quiet voice. I couldn’t contain the smile that appeared on my face. Melissa rolled her eyes knowingly. “How are you?”

                “I’m good, out to lunch with Melissa. How are you?” I questioned, taking a sip of my water.

                “I’m sorry I haven’t called. I had to fly back to LA for the past couple days to take care of business. I didn’t mean to just up and leave.” Justin stated.

                I waved my hand as if he could see me, “Its okay. Is everything okay? Are you back in town?”

                “Yeah, yeah just stuff with the clothing line. Uh… yeah, I got back in last night.” He responded. There was silence for a few moments before he spoke again, “When can I see you?”

                I bit my bottom lip, “Well, I was going to the park in a couple hours to read and relax. You can join me if you’d like. Um… there is something I need to talk to you about anyways.”

                “Is it bad?”

                “No, I don’t think it is bad.”

                “Well just call me when you are headed to the park. Do you mind coming by and getting me?” He questioned a smile apparent in his voice.

                “No, not at all. I’ll see you in say… two hours?” I asked.

                “Yeah, I’ll be ready. I’ll let you get back to Melissa. See you soon.”

                After saying goodbye, I smiled at the waitress when she placed my food in front of me and looked at Melissa who had her eyebrows raised, “I’m glad to see you happy, Ari.”

                I rolled my eyes, “Thanks. Can we eat now?”

 

*~*~*

 

                I pulled my car into the first available parking spot. Justin handed me my bag before we stepped out of the car. “Want to walk around for a little bit first?” He asked, looking around the nearly deserted park.

                I nodded pulling my bag on my shoulder and walking to where he was standing. He reached out, grabbing my hand and interlocking our fingers. He spoke first as we began to walk, “I kind of told my mom you were my girlfriend. Is that okay?”

                I looked over at him grinning, “Yeah, that’s okay.” We walked in silence for a bit before I spoke again, “I need to tell you something and if you rethink this whole girlfriend thing then I totally understand.”

                “Ari, I know you’re a fan and that doesn’t bother me. You’re not crazy like most of them and I enjoy myself immensely when I’m with you.” He stated, squeezing my hand. “I doubt you can run me off. I love getting to know you too much.”

                I blew out the breath I was holding, “I have a three year old daughter, Hailey.” I didn’t notice he had stopped walking until my hand was jerked back forcing me to turn around. His head was cocked to the side, eyebrows raised behind his sunglasses. He never let go of my hand. “My ex boyfriend and I have a child. It was an accident but I wouldn’t give her back to save the world.”

                I started getting nervous when he didn’t respond. He was just standing there, still staring at me. “Justin, say something.”

                “Where is she? Is she in New York? Did you leave her there while you came home? Do I get to meet her? What does she look like? How did you manage with school? Do you have a picture -” He was asking questions a mile a minute.

                I held my hand up, cutting him off. I chuckled softly, “Not exactly the response I was expecting but good. One question at a time, okay? She’s with Steph- her father. No, they live in Maine and I get her for two weeks over the summer and every other major holiday. He … set me up.  He told the town a bunch of lies to make me look like an unfit parent and because I was a wild teenager, they believed him and he got sole custody. I’m still fighting it to this day. I mean, I only get to talk to her for an hour once a week.” I blinked a couple times.

I stepped closer to him, grabbing his other hand. I always get emotional talking about Hailey. “What he is doing is unfair and he is doing it to spite me for the break up. He never wanted her to begin with, offered to pay for an abortion. I think she looks like me and I can show you pictures the next time you come over. I had her while I was in college, taking a leave of absence when the drama started. The school was really good though, I took online classes instead.” I sighed, “You’re okay with this?”

He pulled one of his hands out of mine, wrapping it around my neck pulling me against his chest. I pulled my other hand free and wrapped my arms around his slim waist, inhaling his scent. He kissed the top of me head before resting his chin on top of it, “I like you and if that means you come with a child, then yes. I’ve never dated someone who has a child but I do love them. But if we continue the way we are going, she’s going to be exposed to a world I’m not sure she should be.”

I pulled back to look at his face, not removing my arms from around him, “If it gets to be too much, then I can remove her from it but as of right now, I don’t exactly get enough time with her. I like you and I know she will too so I should warn you that when you two meet, she’s going to become attached. She’s kind of like her mother.”

                He leaned down to place a soft kiss on my lips. “And I already like her mother so I’m sure she’s pretty cool herself. When do you get her again?”

                I moved to the side so we could start walking again, “Two weeks in July. She usually comes to New York and then we head down here because it’s really the only time my family gets to see her. I hate it so much, Justin. She kicks and screams when she has to go back with her father and she’s too smart for her own good. She knows I hate him and that he hates me and that kills me, you know? I try to be civil for her but she picks up on it.”

                He swung our hands back and forth, “How is it going with trying to get custody?”

                I shook my head, “It’s going good, actually. My lawyer thinks I can have her by the end of the summer so we will see. It’s just he comes from a very wealthy family who have a lot of influence in this town. But I’m trying to be optimistic.”

                We walked around the park for a little while longer before finally deciding on a spot to sit down. We were on the far end of the park, near the river. No one was around and I laid the blanket from my bag down before we sat down. I lay on my stomach, grabbing my book. Justin lay on his back, his hand resting behind his head, “I leave in two days.”

                I put my book back and looked over him, “I know.” I whispered quietly.

                “I’m going to miss this. I haven’t been bothered once by the paparazzi and I’ve only signed maybe two dozen autographs.” He cracked a smile, “I met you.”

                I giggled, “I was there.” He stuck his tongue out and I laughed, “I’m going to miss you. How long are you going to be in Virginia Beach?”

                He shrugged awkwardly before rolling on his side to face me. He used his hand to prop his head up, “About another week after we get back. When do you leave for New York?”

                “Two weeks.” I closed my eyes as he ran his finger across my cheek before tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, “You’ll come to New York?”

                He smiled, “I practically live there. Come to LA?”

                I coughed, “About that…” His eyes widened, “I’m kidding. Yes, I will.”

                He placed his hand behind my head, pulling my face closer to his. I scooted towards him, placing my hand on his chest. The kiss started out innocent enough. I tilted my head to the side, deepening the kiss which elicited a moan out of Justin. He moved to lie back on his back, pulling me with him. I used my hand to brace myself over him. He hands went to the small of my back, rubbing the exposed skin from my ridden up shirt.

                His tongue traced my bottom lip and I immediately granted him access. As our tongues battled, I moved to lie on top of him. He broke the kiss first his lips attacking my jaw and neck. I groaned inwardly, “Justin…”

                He pulled back. Both of us were breathing heavy trying to catch our breath. His lips were swollen and I groaned again when he licked his bottom lip, “We’re in a park. It’s a family park, honey.”

                He grinned, “And? They have to learn somehow.”

                I shifted back until I was sitting beside him again. I adjusted my shirt. “Well, I’m not sure I am ready to give old people a heart attack.” I stared at him for a few moments before looking down at my hands shyly, “Do you… maybe want to stay the night with me tonight? We don’t have to do anything. I just thought that -”

                “Yes.” He sat up on his elbows, “Yes I do.”

                “Are you ready to go? I can take you back to Milton’s if you need to go. We can also stop and grab something to take home for dinner. Melissa is at Scott’s and my parents have been MIA since yesterday.”

                He nodded, standing up and reaching down to help pull me up, “Sounds like a plan.”

                Walking back to the car, Justin nudged me, “So does this mean I get to spoil Hailey?”

                I gave him a look, “I will hurt you if you turn my child into a spoiled brat.”

                He gave that crooked grin that I adored, “I’ve never gotten the chance to spoil a little girl. I have two younger brothers but they are passed the age of being spoiled. This could be fun.”

                I punched him on his arm, “No, Justin. And no ‘if mommy says no, I will say yes’ shit either.”

                He grabbed my hand as we approached the car, his smile never leaving his face, “Whatever you say, dear.”

End Notes:

 

review, please! :-)

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=1375